RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (43) < ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... >   
  Topic: Libations and Comestibles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,22:28   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ June 13 2008,23:14)
So, say hi to this, uh, friend for us, Steve.

You know, next time you see this friend.

Will do. I think my friend is busy with the weekend. Couple of airplane bottles of Everclear, a pint of Burnett's vodka, and watching

Tori Amos - Caught a light Sneeze
Regina Spektor - Fidelity
Bjork - Earth Intruders

So he's having a good friday. Me, I'm just waiting til Bowman Gray pool opens at UNC tomorrow so I can do the requisite 30 laps. I have a much more boring life than he does.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,22:29   

Quote (stevestory @ June 13 2008,23:06)
Um...a friend...used to do a substance which resulted in 10 hour hallucinations, and honestly, they lasted kind of frustratingly, annoyingly long.

Artist's rendition of that annoyingly persistent hallucination:

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,22:36   

The typical traithlon swim is 750m, which is only 15 laps, so I've sunk into a pretty stable routine of 1 freestyle lap, 2 sidestroke laps, 1 freestyle lap, 2 sidestroke laps, etc. After the freestyle lap the heartrate is around 160, but after the sidestroke laps it falls to 120 or so, then back to 160, and so on. It's all about pacing yourself.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,22:36   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ June 13 2008,23:29)
Quote (stevestory @ June 13 2008,23:06)
Um...a friend...used to do a substance which resulted in 10 hour hallucinations, and honestly, they lasted kind of frustratingly, annoyingly long.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,23:01   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ June 13 2008,23:29)

The best rendition I've seen of...my friend's hallucinations...is the scene in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas when the floor pattern starts spreading.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,23:06   

Quote (stevestory @ June 13 2008,20:36)
The typical traithlon swim is 750m, which is only 15 laps, so I've sunk into a pretty stable routine of 1 freestyle lap, 2 sidestroke laps, 1 freestyle lap, 2 sidestroke laps, etc. After the freestyle lap the heartrate is around 160, but after the sidestroke laps it falls to 120 or so, then back to 160, and so on. It's all about pacing yourself.

Now is this you or your 'friend' we're talking about now?

The best rendition I've seen of...my friend's hallucinations...is the scene in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas when the floor pattern starts spreading.

The only analogy to that I've experienced is the repeated organ/feedback noise in Sally Go Round the Roses by the Great Society that sounds *exactly* like a really unpleasant noise I used to get in my head back when I used to take mushrooms back in the early '80s. Probably deliberate on their part.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,23:44   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ June 14 2008,00:06)
Now is this you or your 'friend' we're talking about now?

What an indelicate question. Let's just say the guys who know me at the Carrboro ABC store occasionally see a guy walk in with numbers magic-markered to his limbs.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2008,01:55   

So I am fairly plastered drinking my birthday bottle of Macallan. Not the bottle of "The Macallan Elelgancia" my dear wife brought me last year from London, but a bottle that was "The Macallan 12 Year Single Malt Scotch Whisky." I even have some left to prove it.

I was watching a neighbor work with his boxing coach- while having a bite of The Macallan. I was reminded of an odd experience: I had an unarmed-killing teacher who brought to class a boxer. Teacher told us to try and hurt him (the visitor). He easily blocked the standard kicks, and punched our lights out up close.

This began a 6 week instruction in boxing.

Well I might as well add that the first written rule in Greco-roman fighting was "No pocking out of eyes."

This was the occasion of the first (nonleathal) retirement from greco-roman fighting.

Pussies

Oh, This is really about The Macallan, not about killing people.

Really.

In fact, I am celebrating surviving for 57 years. I have the all time male record for my lineage. I have survived more years than my father, and my grandfathers, and my great-grandfathers. Beyond them is speculation.

As a philosophical and Quaker pacifist who finds himself in occasional deadly confrontations, I welcome the chance to live a bit further. (And have a bit of Whisky).

Edited by Dr.GH on June 14 2008,00:24

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2008,02:47   

I was not a very good Quaker- not the booze- when the elders more or less gave me the boot it was three issues; tobacco, swearing, and (their totally mistaken notion that) I took drugs. I do take beer, wine and whisky today, but at 18 I had never indulged in even those.

No, in the late 1960s we had tired of life under the threat of instant death. It has not changed much yet. This feeds the "Armageddon" fantasy. Larrdy lardy I had it (but recovered).

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2008,05:59   

Happy Birthday, Dr. GH.  May you survive another 57.

Further, it's good to see Stones and Bones more active.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2008,15:31   

Man, I'm having the worst luck with that damn pool. If it's not overheating, I'm forgetting the schedule. Got kicked out at 4 o'clock with only 21 laps done. Now I guess I'll have to go running tonight. Before running to the liquor store, of course, it being a weekend cheat day.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2008,20:59   

WANT:  Seven Deadly Glasses

http://tinyurl.com/6x28tn

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

RupertG

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2008,13:34   

Oooh, Salvia Divinorum. This is what my friend had to say about _that_...

"Got some 10x concentrated leaf. Not sure what they do to it, but having failed to get anywhere with the raw stuff I thought it time to up the ante.

Recommended process: fill a small bowl. Light. inhale. Hold for as long as possible. Exhale. Repeat. Any question of a third go was moot.

Effect: Very fast onset. Bit like a blowtorch blasting away inside my head. Reality blew away, and not in a good way. No question of being able to talk or act. Was lying down already: this was a good thing. Eventually the room came back, every line in the visual field pressing like a razor blade into flesh just before the point it breaks the skin. Effects slunk off; no idea of time away, but it proved to be around two minutes. Most abiding memory: that blowtorch being used to melt away my face, stripping away everything to the roots of my teeth (which I could feel penetrating my jaw. The eye teeth were the most notable in this respect).

Conclusion: Remarkably unpleasant. Really. I've been on some stonkers in my time in the Psychonaut Cadet Corp, including one epic miscalculation that took a few day to properly sort itself out (if it did...), but nothing that ever said to me "you really don't want to do that again" with quite so much conviction."

My friend remains keen on All That Sort Of Thing, so it didn't do him lasting harm, but I've seen the look in his eye when he recounts his time on the salvia.
You'll have to be at least a sergeant in the PCC to want to give it a go.

Incidentally, what _is_ this Everclear? Is it really sold for drinking purposes? There's nothing like it in the UK.

R

--------------
Uncle Joe and Aunty Mabel
Fainted at the breakfast table
Children, let this be a warning
Never do it in the morning -- Ralph Vaughan Williams

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2008,13:55   

Quote (RupertG @ June 15 2008,14:34)
Incidentally, what _is_ this Everclear? Is it really sold for drinking purposes? There's nothing like it in the UK.

R

Everclear is 95% ethanol. So couple of 50 ml 'airplane bottle's of it gets you where you want to go very quickly. It's not legal in all states, but it is legal in North Carolina, where I live. You have to mix it with something or it'll wreck your throat and stomach. I thought about getting a pint of it yesterday, but I wound up getting a fifth of Burnett's for about $8.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2008,13:59   

Incidentally, I saw a friend in the liquor store yesterday. A guy I know who has that court-prescribed dealy where every so often he has to blow into it as he's driving down the road, and it assays his breath for alcohol. He was buying about a gallon of booze. "Damn, buddy," I said, "I'm just getting a fifth of Burnett's." "Yeah," he said, "Burnett's is great. Run it through a Brita filter a few times and you can't tell the difference between it and Grey Goose." "Yeah, I guess," I said. "Or you could just drink three shots. Can't tell the difference then either."

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2008,15:38   

Quote (Lou FCD @ June 14 2008,03:59)
Further, it's good to see Stones and Bones more active.

Howdy Lou,

I have been writing all sorts of Evo/creato mainly directed to newspaper story comment boards, letters to editor pages, etc.

I am trying to not just write posts to BBs. I have not been copying these to my blog, but I thought I might as well.

--------------

RupertG

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2008,18:30   

That's some powerful likker, all right. Worst I've tried neat was some 75% absinthe - just a taster, out of that darn curiosity. I only quite liked it - and the rest I disposed  of like a responsible absinthe drinker.

Incidentally, those still darn curious about salvia divinorum can see the effects for thesselves courtesy of the reliably entertaining b3ta.com and Yootoob. Worth it for the final few seconds alone...

R

--------------
Uncle Joe and Aunty Mabel
Fainted at the breakfast table
Children, let this be a warning
Never do it in the morning -- Ralph Vaughan Williams

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2008,01:24   

Quote (stevestory @ June 15 2008,11:55)
Everclear is 95% ethanol. So couple of 50 ml 'airplane bottle's of it gets you where you want to go very quickly. It's not legal in all states, but it is legal in North Carolina, where I live.

Yeah, it's legal in places like North Carolina and Nevada, where life is cheap.  :p

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2008,02:26   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ June 16 2008,02:24)
Quote (stevestory @ June 15 2008,11:55)
Everclear is 95% ethanol. So couple of 50 ml 'airplane bottle's of it gets you where you want to go very quickly. It's not legal in all states, but it is legal in North Carolina, where I live.

Yeah, it's legal in places like North Carolina and Nevada, where life is cheap.  :p

I drank waaaay too much of that stuff Saturday night. Have to get back to the healthy lifestyle. The online pool schedule says

Summer Pool Hours:

M-F:  6-8a & 11:30-8p

But it's run by a government entitity so of course it's wrong and I think it's really 6-8a, 12-2p, and 4-7:30p. After last week I have to make sure to hit the right times. An interrupted workout is frustrating.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2008,01:57   

Since you are all so much more witty than I am, I will merely enjoy a Jerez Sherry.  Maybe several. Oh My. The bottle is empty. Damn, so is my glass.

I made a very good dinner, but I will not describe it totally. It was a frittata. The secret of my brilliant light frittata I will reveal.  It begins with bringing the eggs to room temperature first. But that is not revealing anything because you all know that already.

But, did you know to use a clotted cream, or as I must in this benighted land, a chemically ‘soured’ cream, results in the most productive of mixtures?

Of course you did not. Whip this into the eggs merrily. And, rather than a traditional and tiresome grating of cheese, a sliced commercial variety does just as well under a hot fire. For the tiresome traditionalist, a grated cheese say of Jarlsberg, or Mozzarella, scattered over the top of the skillet mix just before putting it under the broiler, will be fine.

--------------

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2008,04:03   

Quote (Dr.GH @ June 14 2008,09:55)
...I had an unarmed-killing teacher who brought to class a boxer. Teacher told us to try and hurt him (the visitor). He easily blocked the standard kicks, and punched our lights out up close.

HAR HAR THIS IS YOU

REX KWAN DO

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Tony M Nyphot

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2008,09:36   

Honoring Poachy:

--------------
"I, OTOH, am an underachiever...I either pee my pants or faint dead away..." FTK

"You could always wrap fresh fish in the paper you publish it on, though, and sell that." - Field Man on how to find value in Gary Gaulin's real-science "theory"

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2008,10:01   

Also......

Drunk Horse emphasizes the interpenetration of what are usually called "mind" and "body". According to this idea, people's deeply-held thoughts make them ill or at least create the preconditions for disease and psychological problems. We work to remove deeply held resentments, to release unexpressed emotions, to assuage buried terror (all of which, in this view, are caused by deeply held thoughts), in order to build self-confidence and to plant in people a positive and hopeful view of their path through life.... more

From some website

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2008,10:38   

Quote (k.e.. @ June 18 2008,10:01)
Also......

Drunk Horse emphasizes the interpenetration of what are usually called "mind" and "body". According to this idea, people's deeply-held thoughts make them ill or at least create the preconditions for disease and psychological problems. We work to remove deeply held resentments, to release unexpressed emotions, to assuage buried terror (all of which, in this view, are caused by deeply held thoughts), in order to build self-confidence and to plant in people a positive and hopeful view of their path through life.... more

From some website

god that's gay.

re salvia, a friend just gave me this account.

"Put in yer pipe and burn the whole bowl without exhaling.  Be ready to puke if you need to but don't cause it will make you feel even more fucked up.

Sit down.  Try not to pass out from the euphoric rush to becoming.  The universe is becoming more transparent, very soon it will all become clear."

Re the effects, he says "I began to see strings everywhere.  My friends were sitting in the room and thought I was being a weirdo, but I understood why they did not see what I did and the strings that were attached to their thoughts were attached to everything else like everything else, but they could only see what was in the present and the strings I was seeing were attached to both past and future.  My hands became very interesting, as they are the primary mechanical means of manipulating the external universe, they are the contact point for many of the strings that connect me to the Other.  As the euphoria intensified, I became incoherent and unable to speak, it seemed as if i were at once both falling down down down a long ways and also speeding forward, with the strings flying past me like the stars on that old crappy Apple screen saver.  Gradually this feeling receded, but very slowly and almost imperceptibly.  At some point I realized that it was mostly over, but I was unable to communicate  clearly to my friends for about 25 minutes.  One of them said "there is no way that I'm doing that shit".  The other one said he saw a guy sit in a chair and do it and dude flipped out hugging the ground screaming about falling.  My experience was not like that, I feel like it was valuable learning experience but I am unable to demonstrate what I learned or how that is even knowledge.  I would not do it again probably.  Absolutely the most intense hallucinatory experience I have ever had and i have had several flavors."

I remember when this happened and I just figured it was hippies getting high on banana peels or toothpaste smeared on a cigarette or some rednecks huffing gas.  To each their own.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Krubozumo Nyankoye

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2008,00:44   

In the category, homemade libations:

Ingredients

(1)  55 gal. drum with lid.
(2)  60-80 3 ft. lengths of ripe sugar cane
(3)  ~20 gallons of reasonably pure water (rain water preferred).

Combine all ingredients in the drum, it is adviseable to wash the drum thoroughly if it has been used to transport lubricants or fuels.  Boil over an iron wood fire for ~ 3 hrs adding additional water as necessary. Add culture. Cap and seal as tightly as possible, allow to ferment for 6 to 10 days, draw off upper 1/3 of liquid. Recap. Ferment another 6 -10 days, draw off remaining liquid, discard spent cane. Distill liquid twice being careful to maintain correct boiling point to evaporate only ethanol.  Bottle (in used containers for commercial liquors with screw on caps) as soon as volume is available. Allow to age a minimum of 24 hours.  Enjoy at your personal discretion.

In various cultures this is known by different names with more or less equivalent meanings. In Brasil it is refered to as Caixaxia, in various parts of Africa, cane juice.

Falvor, better than gasoline. Mixes, overly ripe grapefruit or
pineapple juice represses the gag reflex but you still have the aftertaste for a week or two.

Comments:  Do not store in nalgene or lexan bottles, they will
retain the flavor forever. Do not smoke while drinking or drink
near open flame. Do not consume if ambient temperature is
less than 25 degrees C or 75 degrees F. In humid tropical areas allow 3-4 days for rehydration.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2008,02:06   

That sounds almost as foul as this stuff...

Ever heard of "Steam" ?
by smokerscully1 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:15 pm

Just saw something neat here on the boob tube --Discovery channel--
some guy is spending some time with a tribe of natives somewhere in Papua New Guinea. These people have only recently been in contact with white missionarys and are trying very hard to keep to their original subsistance lifestyle. Besides hunting for wild pigs and harvesting Sago Palm these natives show this guy how they make "steam". It showed the Natives boiling wine they made from Palm juice in an old outboard motor gas can--wood fire underneath and just a small piece of some kinda coiled pipe for a condenser. Looks like it tastes pretty bad but was prolly very strong. The commentator asks the chief how long they have been distilling "steam" like it was some kinda ancient custom or something. The chief tells the guy one of their young men showed them how to do it 2 years ago when he came home to visit after he had been away at school.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 21 2008,22:16   

Partagus Pinturas are actually not that bad.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 22 2008,11:50   

Don't make a curry with this as the predominant spice. Extremely hot and quite bitter. The stuff smells a lot better than it tastes, and I'm very tolerant of weird spices.

What can I say, I was out of my Patak's pastes and had to improvise.  ???

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 24 2008,20:58   

Lots of green tea these days.

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: June 28 2008,18:09   

Forget the single malt, I've found the nectar of the gods Designers!

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

1287 replies since June 07 2007,18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (43) < ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]