RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >   
  Topic: Wherein Robert Obrien will educate us on..., How the middle east is being "Arabized"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2006,21:55   

Oh do please tell us professor!  How is the middle east being "Arabized"???

fair warning to those in attendance:

Obrien has nought to offer but a dictionary definition thus far, and I expect he will offer little more than that and rampant racist opines on "muslimania".

Hey I could be wrong.  He says he's gonna hand me my "ass", so let's find out.

here's where he stands currently:

Arden Chatfield wrote:

Iranians, Pakistanis, and Afghans aren’t Arabs either…

They have, however, been Arabized.

mmm hmm.  on to you, professor.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,00:22   

Is this a continuation from elsewhere?  I wouldn't mind a link.

But I can already predict how his argument will go:
Arabs started off this muslim thing, what with their warring ways etc.
Militant islam comes for Arabia, see wahabiism etc.
THe countries you have mentioned all seem to have bought into said militant islamism.
therefore the middle east is being arabised.

ANyway, I disagree.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,03:28   

This is carried over from PT.

The key to being 'Arabized' is adopting the Arabic language as the everyday spoken language of the community. There is no Arab 'race', and the Arabic language has spread historically among people who did not originally speak it historically, but who have switched to speaking Arabic vernaculars, especially in North Africa (Egypt through Morocco). Those countries can be called Arabized.

In Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and points east, they do not speak the Arabic language. Their languages being influenced by Arabic (or clergy using Arabic in religious contexts) is not enough to be considered 'Arabized' in any meaningful sense -- by that criteria, there is no Islamic country that is NOT Arabized, which seems to water down the definition to the point of meaninglessness. Arabized is not a synonym for 'Islamic'.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,03:37   

It should perhaps be noted right from the beginning that:

(1) most Muslims do not live in the Middle East
(2) most Muslims do not speak Arabic
(3) most Muslims do not wear kaffiyahs

Americans, being an utterly pig-ignorant lot, are largely unaware of those things.

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,11:22   

Well, yes Arden.  From what I know about these regions, what you say is spot on.  
It sounds from your presentation of his definition that half the planet has actually been anglicised.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,11:35   

Fishy and Lenny:

Guys -- you really don't want this debate. Trust me.

--------------
Dey can't 'andle my riddim.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,11:44   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Aug. 12 2006,16:35)
Fishy and Lenny:

I assume they can handle all the big words.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,13:02   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Aug. 12 2006,16:35)
Fishy and Lenny:

"Debate" you?  Why bother?  You are an insignificant little pissant of a nobody on an Internet forum. Just a pit yorkie.  Yap yap yap.  It's not even worth the bother of kicking you across the room.  (shrug)

--------------

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,13:49   

gawp's chomping at the bit to stand in for Obrien.

well, i started this thread, and I say: no way.  let Obrien present his own case.  I'm quite tired of your brand of idiocy, as presented from your armchair at the public library.  I'm hoping he will present some new pile of steaming refuse that will at least smell a bit less stale, if stinking all the same.

--------------

-CC

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,15:05   

Incidentally, I just noticed that Wikipedia has a fairly good little piece on Arabization.

--------------

tiredofthesos

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,21:07   

Hey, GoP, you ARE the lucky one, you racist shite, not to be ever in danger of face-to-face discussion.  Fuck you and go back to peddle your papers, you Xian doper.

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 12 2006,21:20   

speaking of face-face 'discussion', one bit of over-obvious wisdom I can impart from personal experience:

Never argue with a crack addict.

for any reason.

ever.

er, unless you don't mind immediate physical violence.

--------------

-CC

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2006,10:53   

Library Yenta said:

Hey, GoP, you ARE the lucky one, you racist shite, not to be ever in danger of face-to-face discussion.  Fuck you and go back to peddle your papers, you Xian doper.

Yeah....I'm as intimidated as Oleg Maskaev was last night....<yawn>.....but don't worry, I'll let this thread alone.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2006,11:16   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Aug. 13 2006,15:53)
Library Yenta said:

Yeah....I'm as intimidated as Oleg Maskaev was last night....<yawn>.....but don't worry, I'll let this thread alone.

That's fine. I can't imagine that posting photos of half-naked boxers or wrestlers would shed any light on the issue.

--------------

mcc

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2006,12:12   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Aug. 13 2006,15:53)
Library Yenta said:

I suppose we're somehow supposed to imagine you're doing this to spare Lenny and Toejam embarassment, and not just because you're in over your head and scared?

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2006,12:23   

Oh please, don't try baiting the idiot into responding when i specifically asked not to hear his idiocy repeated in this thread.

thanks.

If Obrien responds, that's groovy, but gawp will just inflate the thread with hot air.

give Obrien another day or so, then I could care less.

--------------

-CC

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2006,02:24   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Aug. 13 2006,02:20)
speaking of face-face 'discussion', one bit of over-obvious wisdom I can impart from personal experience:

Never argue with a crack addict.

for any reason.

ever.

er, unless you don't mind immediate physical violence.

Here's another one.

If you are about to get into a fight, take off all your clothes.

No one wants to fight a naked guy.

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2006,10:35   

yeah, but is that from personal experience?

;)

--------------

-CC

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2006,16:20   

OK, at this point i'll take it Obrien didn't consider the issue important enough to warrant further discussion.

I doubt i do either, but I'm sure gawp can convince me otherwise.

floor's open.

--------------

-CC

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,07:30   

I just found O'briens website.  What kind of person pops into a blog, insults the occupants and the host, then meets every reply with derision, then crows about it on his own blog?
Where everyone can see how childish he has been?

(Yes, I know, a troll)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,08:04   

Quote (guthrie @ Aug. 16 2006,12:30)
I just found O'briens website.  What kind of person pops into a blog, insults the occupants and the host, then meets every reply with derision, then crows about it on his own blog?
Where everyone can see how childish he has been?

(Yes, I know, a troll)

I'll probably regret asking, but may I have the link for it?

--------------

Robert O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,09:01   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Aug. 16 2006,13:04)

Huperborea

--------------
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,09:46   

Quote (Robert O'Brien @ Aug. 16 2006,14:01)
Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Aug. 16 2006,13:04)

Huperborea

I saw no references to Arabization there -- am I missing something?

--------------

Robert O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,10:46   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Aug. 16 2006,14:46)

No Arden. I have not addressed the concept of Arabization on my blog. I posted my responses to the PT thread.

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,10:47   

Fishy:

floor's open.

Believe it or not, I don't feel like a political debate now, but I'd like to report that another Paley Prediction is coming true:

Home Secretary John Reid has described as "a dreadful misjudgement" an open letter in which Muslim groups criticise British foreign policy.
The letter, signed by three Muslim MPs, three peers and 38 groups, suggested some policies provoked terrorists acts.

Mr Reid said no competent government would remain in power if policies were "dictated by terrorists".

Echoing this stance, former Tory leader Michael Howard said the letter had given "ammunition" to extremists.

Here's the letter:

Prime Minister, As British Muslims we urge you to do more to fight against all those who target civilians with violence, whenever and wherever that happens.

It is our view that current British government policy risks putting civilians at increased risk both in the UK and abroad.

To combat terror the government has focused extensively on domestic legislation. While some of this will have an impact, the government must not ignore the role of its foreign policy.

The debacle of Iraq and now the failure to do more to secure an immediate end to the attacks on civilians in the Middle East not only increases the risk to ordinary people in that region, it is also ammunition to extremists who threaten us all.

Attacking civilians is never justified. This message is a global one. We urge the Prime Minister to redouble his efforts to tackle terror and extremism and change our foreign policy to show the world that we value the lives of civilians wherever they live and whatever their religion.

Such a move would make us all safer.

Yes, the letter says all the "right" things, but the subtext is very clear. Do things our way or you'll be sorry.

Here's a way to deal with terrorist blackmail:

War came to America on April 6, 1917. A week later, there was a patriotic rally at City Hall featuring James Gerard, America's former ambassador in Berlin. Gerard told a cheering crowd how one of the Kaiser's diplomats had given him a warning — 500,000 German-Americans stood ready to rise up if the U.S. ever fought Germany.

"I told him," Gerard said, "that we have 500,000 lampposts to hang them on."

While I hate the Wilson Administration's enforcement of the Espionage and Sedition Acts, I would like to note, just for the record, that the lampposts weren't necessary.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,10:53   

Quote (Robert O'Brien @ Aug. 16 2006,15:46)
Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Aug. 16 2006,14:46)

No Arden. I have not addressed the concept of Arabization on my blog. I posted my responses to the PT thread.

Never mind, then. I misinterpreted Guthrie's comments.

--------------

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,11:37   

Umm GoP, you mean "Do things our way or else" isnt the linchpin of American foreign policy?  

Not to mention that only by a typical misreading can you manage to get that policies are being dictated by terrorists out of that letter.  And the sub text is only clear if you have GoP glasses on.  I like your unsubtle reply as well, it shows exactly what we have come to expect form you.  Thanks for confirming our expectations.

Oh, and You'd love John Reid- he's Tony Blairs enforcer, basically an ex Stalinist bruiser.  They're now touting him as a runner for Blairs job, in order to try and put pressure on Brown, but Reid would be useless, since he's spent his entire life taking orders from people.

Oh, wait a minute, he could take orders from Bush.
Never mind...

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,13:29   

Hey O'Brien, Paley is a geocentrist.

Do you agree with him?

--------------

Robert O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,14:14   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Aug. 16 2006,18:29)

Do you agree with him?

You must be s***ting me.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,16:05   

Quote (Robert O'Brien @ Aug. 16 2006,19:14)
Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Aug. 16 2006,18:29)

Do you agree with him?

You must be s***ting me.

I s**t you not.

I take it that is a "well, um, no, I don't agree with him".  Right?

Paley?  It seems as if Robbie thinks your good Christian geocentrism is a big steaming crock of cow cakes.  Are you gonna take that lying down?  Aren't you holier than he is?

Show us what fundies do to infidels and heretics, Paley.

--------------

30 replies since Aug. 11 2006,21:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]