RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (622) < ... 324 325 326 327 328 [329] 330 331 332 333 334 ... >   
  Topic: A Separate Thread for Gary Gaulin, As big as the poop that does not look< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,13:22   

After proving they have nothing this biologically relevant, it's back to excuses for the usual politics that cheers on pet neural network models that are only proving to not have been all there, not nearly as biologically accurate. Educrats have a way of shifting the burden of proof by not mentioning that it's they who are unable to adequately demonstrate analogous mechanisms required for a real animal brain.

I'm currently on this page, by the way:

http://www.nature.com/nature.....-s2.pdf

Single grid experiments with the IDLab4 makes sense of this seemingly odd modular grid organization. I'm coding it in right now. Where's yours?

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,13:40   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 21 2014,14:22)
After proving they have nothing this biologically relevant, it's back to excuses for the usual politics that cheers on pet neural network models that are only proving to not have been all there, not nearly as biologically accurate. Educrats have a way of shifting the burden of proof by not mentioning that it's they who are unable to adequately demonstrate analogous mechanisms required for a real animal brain.

I'm currently on this page, by the way:

http://www.nature.com/nature.....-s2.pdf

Single grid experiments with the IDLab4 makes sense of this seemingly odd modular grid organization. I'm coding it in right now. Where's yours?

All you've proven is that your model is not biological.
Where's the grounding in living beings of any sort?
You've got a model that is the equivalent of a slapdash poorly detailed Klingon Bird of Prey class starship.  Which has exactly as much relevance to reality as your pet project.

Nobody needs to prove they have anything 'better' than what you claim to have.  You have to prove that what you have is relevant and valuable in its own right.  It doesn't get to 'win' by default.  
That's not how science works.  That you continue raising this obsessive twaddle is simply pilling on repeats of the evidence that you don't have a freaking clue about science.  At all.

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,14:29   

Show me this better minimal-code computer model that you and others suggest exists for explaining spatial self-navigation of biological animals.

Responding to what you said rather than what you meant*:
C.W. Reynolds, 1987, Flocks, herds, and schools: a distributed behavioral model.  Computer Graphics, 21 (1987), pp. 25–33.

There's a large literature on this: just to grab some examples, see
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls.......1&tag=1
http://www.cs.tufts.edu/comp.......ing.pdf
http://dl.acm.org/citatio....d=37406
http://www.pnas.org/content....2.short

For much more, see the references in the following paper.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science....8001176

However, that paper is more valuable as an example of how to develop a model (unlike the way you try to do it).  In particular, note the following details:
1) the authors provide an honest review of prior work
2) the authors go out of their way to ground-truth their premises and to ensure that their conclusions have relevance to real-world examples.
3) They don't just make unsupported assertions.

Plus, that stuff has shown its value by being put to other sorts of uses: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science....6000191

*And why the heck are you saying "self-navigation"?  Are you distinguishing navigation imposed by back-seat drivers?   And why "biological animals" - what other kinds are there, and if you are referring to living animals versus artificial code critters, it is worth noting that yours is a coded critter with zero demonstrated relevance to living organisms, because you refuse to do any ground-truthing.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,14:55   

I'm not surprised that Boids are now being praised as a well tested model for demonstrating spatial navigation in real animals when in fact the creator of the model did not even attempt to include that, it's for demonstrating something else entirely.

I already gave you enough links in this thread and information in the model to ensure that my conclusions have relevance to real-world examples.

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,15:35   

Quote (N.Wells @ Mar. 21 2014,14:29)
*And why the heck are you saying "self-navigation"?

And I called it "self-navigation" because with the grid system in Confidence there is no need for a navigational system that decides what to do next then preplans motor movements in the form of motor commands to move it along some path. It it-self already knows where it wants to navigate, and can virtually perceive all the paths that can be taken to get there including long ways it can go.

--------------

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,15:47   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 21 2014,14:55)
I'm not surprised that Boids are now being praised as a well tested model for demonstrating spatial navigation in real animals when in fact the creator of the model did not even attempt to include that, it's for demonstrating something else entirely.

I already gave you enough links in this thread and information in the model to ensure that my conclusions have relevance to real-world examples.

Boids is not for "demonstrating" anything.  Did you even read the article you linked to?  Boids is and has been used to do actual work.  
The first animation created with the model was Stanley and Stella in: Breaking the Ice (1987), followed by a feature film debut in Tim Burton's film Batman Returns (1992) with computer generated bat swarms and armies of penguins marching through the streets of Gotham City.

The boids model has been used for other interesting applications. It has been applied to automatically program Internet multi-channel radio stations. It has also been used for visualizing information and for optimization tasks.

My emphasis.

Tell us about the applications for your "model."

--------------
Evolution is not about laws but about randomness on happanchance.--Robert Byers, at PT

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,15:49   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 21 2014,15:35)

It it-self already knows where it wants to navigate, and can virtually perceive all the paths that can be taken to get there including long ways it can go.

Tell us about the biological analog. Under similar real-world conditions, what biological entity can "virtually perceive all the paths that can be taken..."?

--------------
Evolution is not about laws but about randomness on happanchance.--Robert Byers, at PT

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,15:51   

Quote (Jim_Wynne @ Mar. 21 2014,15:49)

It it-self already knows where it wants to navigate, and can virtually perceive all the paths that can be taken to get there including long ways it can go.

Tell us about the biological analog. Under similar real-world conditions, what biological entity can "virtually perceive all the paths that can be taken..."?

I can.

--------------

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,15:57   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 21 2014,15:51)

I can.

Show us the data.  This is real-science science, remember?

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,16:09   

I doubt that the readers who can also perceive (are aware of) all the paths they can take to get from room to room or whatever need me to provide scientific data to prove that humans have that ability.

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,16:31   

Or in other words we perceive a mapped out virtual spatial representation in our brain with directional vectors showing possible paths from place to place like this:

--------------

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,16:40   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 21 2014,15:51)

I can.

You can barely keep yourself fed and sheltered, a fact you whine about constantly.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,16:51   

As a programmer, Laddy GaGa is an incompetent performance artist.
As a performance artist, he writes extremely boring and irrelevant code.

And neither role has bupkis to do with his "theory", which has dropped entirely off the radar.  How odd…  Not.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,17:58   

Quote (NoName @ Mar. 21 2014,16:51)
As a programmer, Laddy GaGa is an incompetent performance artist.
As a performance artist, he writes extremely boring and irrelevant code.

And neither role has bupkis to do with his "theory", which has dropped entirely off the radar.  How odd…  Not.

Gary seems to have decided to follow the strategy of the cdesignpropentsists and try some "subtlety".  Perhaps he hopes to convince us to agree that his cartoon bug is just the tiniest bit useful for something, at which point he rips off the mask and reveals that we have agreed that molecular intelligence is real and that high school chemistry classes should teach that salt melts ice due to intelligent design.  We will then be forced pay him a percentage of the salaries of every "educrat" that falsely mocked his genius.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,18:41   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Mar. 21 2014,16:40)
You can barely keep yourself fed and sheltered, a fact you whine about constantly.

That says much about the reality of origin related sciences including paleontology, where projects normally have to be a self-funded labor of love. Those who go into that to make the big-bucks are then best off getting out of science, before they end up with more student loans they cannot afford to pay back. Where they truly have science changing ideas they get to look forward to being made to look like a crackpot. In the real science world it often works out that no good deed goes unpunished, by those who are supposed to be working for us.

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,18:52   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 21 2014,16:31)
Or in other words we perceive a mapped out virtual spatial representation in our brain with directional vectors showing possible paths from place to place like this:

What is the minimum capacity of working memory for the "perception" of "all paths" that you are talking about?

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,19:28   

Where is your goddam EVIDENCE?

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,20:26   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Mar. 21 2014,18:52)

What is the minimum capacity of working memory for the "perception" of "all paths" that you are talking about?

6 bits in and 6 bits out, per grid location.

The violet and brown vectors, in the picture.

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,22:11   

Quote (Jim_Wynne @ Mar. 21 2014,19:28)
Where is your goddam EVIDENCE?

To begin with: The model only has to do what it does, to be scientifically novel and useful from at least an AI perspective.

Screaming for evidence where none is needed for it to work as described/advertised is a very dishonest tactic, a scam.

--------------

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2014,23:15   

A model can conceivably be useful without showing any relationship to natural systems, so I agree with you, somewhat, on that point.  However, it won't be very useful in explaining natural systems without a significant attempt to demonstrate its relevance and accuracy, which you have yet to supply.  Supplying evidence of this when unlikely claims are being made on the model's behalf is standard operating procedure, and asking for evidence when that is not provided is also perfectly reasonable.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2014,00:09   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 21 2014,20:26)

You do realize that "working memory" has a specific meaning in cognition, right?

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2014,00:41   

Quote (N.Wells @ Mar. 21 2014,23:15)
A model can conceivably be useful without showing any relationship to natural systems, so I agree with you, somewhat, on that point.  However, it won't be very useful in explaining natural systems without a significant attempt to demonstrate its relevance and accuracy, which you have yet to supply.  Supplying evidence of this when unlikely claims are being made on the model's behalf is standard operating procedure, and asking for evidence when that is not provided is also perfectly reasonable.

I needed to make it clear that I do NOT owe anybody EVIDENCE for what is said in its itsonline description or my terminology in this thread in regards to intelligence systems where properly designed might in the future become conscious via grid field bioelectrical activity or something like that.

I'm working as fast as I can on the next model, while maybe already spending too much time in this forum that doesn't care about such things. But maybe this I just came across while looking for grid module information will help you:

http://coronaradiata.net/2012.......-part-2

http://coronaradiata.net/categor....ocampus

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2014,03:01   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Mar. 22 2014,00:09)

You do realize that "working memory" has a specific meaning in cognition, right?

Wiki - Working memory

Still 6 bits in (add 2 more where including Attract and Repel control bits) and 6 bits out, per grid location, for the "perception" of "all paths" that I was talking about.

I cannot tell you why we are consciously perceive these changing flow vectors, but we still follow them. They are not "seen" it's more like invisible trails that only have direction around corners then down stars. For at least myself it's noticeable while trying to visualize radio wave propagation.

What you are seeing in the picture is what the computer model perceives flowing to where it's going, shown using vectors shown color coded same as Ultra Violet (Light My Way).

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2014,03:35   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 22 2014,03:01)

Wiki - Working memory

Still 6 bits in (add 2 more where including Attract and Repel control bits) and 6 bits out, per grid location, for the "perception" of "all paths" that I was talking about.

I cannot tell you why we are consciously perceive these changing flow vectors, but we still follow them. They are not "seen" it's more like invisible trails that only have direction around corners then down stars. For at least myself it's noticeable while trying to visualize radio wave propagation.

What you are seeing in the picture is what the computer model perceives flowing to where it's going, shown using vectors shown color coded same as Ultra Violet (Light My Way).

Given that working memory in humans is limited to about 7 values (plus or minus 2), how do you square that with huge number of combinations of bits needed to represent "all paths" in your diagram?

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2014,03:59   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Mar. 22 2014,03:35)

Wiki - Working memory

Given that working memory in humans is limited to about 7 values (plus or minus 2), how do you square that with huge number of combinations of bits needed to represent "all paths" in your diagram?

All paths are already there. There are no lines needed, just direction vectors.

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2014,07:03   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 22 2014,03:59)

Wiki - Working memory

Your claim stated that biological organisms "perceived all paths". This statement implies the use of working memory, and all available data indicates that working memory is quite limited in capacity (7 +/- 2 values in humans, for instance). Either you are using a non-standard definition of "perceived" or you are stating that biological organisms have far more working memory than cognitive science has ever postulated. I'm trying to find out which alternative you prefer.

--------------

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2014,07:23   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 22 2014,01:41)

I needed to make it clear that I do NOT owe anybody EVIDENCE for what is said in its itsonline description or my terminology in this thread in regards to intelligence systems where properly designed might in the future become conscious via grid field bioelectrical activity or something like that.

Of course you  do, you silly pathetic git.
If you aren't responsible for supplying the evidence, who is?
If evidence is irrelevant, then you're not doing science.
If evidence is relevant, where and what do you have?
If you have nothing, which is, of course, the reason you so petulantly insist it's not your responsibility to supply it, then you've got nothing.  As we've been pointing out for lo these 325+ pages now.
Claims require evidence or they are merely hot air.  Or in your case, wasted electrons.

Likewise for terminology.  If you use standard terms with nonstandard meanings, you are being fraudulent.  If you are using nonstandard terms, you are being intentionally confusing. Both of these are contrary to the purpose of communication.
We've already seen that your use of terms such as 'learning' are non-standard and fly in the face of the fields you claim to be working in.  We've already seen that your usual style of communication is incoherent and generally both confused and confusing.  Yet you complain about being misunderstood.  Who's fault is that, Gary?

Without evidence, you've got nothing.
You've got no evidence.
Therefore, you've got nothing.

Logic.  Learn some.

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2014,07:31   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 22 2014,03:59)

Wiki - Working memory

It doesn't matter that the paths are already there. The question is about how the organism "perceives" all of the available paths.

--------------

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2014,07:38   

There is no small irony in the fact that the positive comments on Gary's supposed proof of intelligent design over at Planet Source Code have resulted solely because the output looks complicated, so some onlookers assumed that it was intelligently designed.

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2014,07:50   

Quote (NoName @ Mar. 22 2014,07:23)

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Mar. 22 2014,01:41)

Of course you  do, you silly pathetic git.
If you aren't responsible for supplying the evidence, who is?
If evidence is irrelevant, then you're not doing science.
If evidence is relevant, where and what do you have?
If you have nothing, which is, of course, the reason you so petulantly insist it's not your responsibility to supply it, then you've got nothing.  As we've been pointing out for lo these 325+ pages now.
Claims require evidence or they are merely hot air.  Or in your case, wasted electrons.

Likewise for terminology.  If you use standard terms with nonstandard meanings, you are being fraudulent.  If you are using nonstandard terms, you are being intentionally confusing. Both of these are contrary to the purpose of communication.
We've already seen that your use of terms such as 'learning' are non-standard and fly in the face of the fields you claim to be working in.  We've already seen that your usual style of communication is incoherent and generally both confused and confusing.  Yet you complain about being misunderstood.  Who's fault is that, Gary?

Without evidence, you've got nothing.
You've got no evidence.
Therefore, you've got nothing.

Logic.  Learn some.

In support of Gary's view of science, when Pons and Fleischman announced the concept of cold fusion in a cup, it became the responsibility of the rest of science to provide the evidence proving them correct, which is how come we are driving fusion-powered cars today.  

And the reason that scientists all accept evolution is that when Darwin circulated a letter saying, "you know what, organisms evolve!  As proof, see the attached extremely detailed description of a barnacle," everybody else said "Wow, that's brilliant, and we don't have anything better, so clearly evolution wins by default".

Or possibly not.

18634 replies since Oct. 31 2012,02:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (622) < ... 324 325 326 327 328 [329] 330 331 332 333 334 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]