RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 605 606 607 608 609 [610] 611 612 613 614 615 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,00:22   

Davetard doesn't miss an opportunity to get things wrong.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-134300

DaveScot

08/26/2007

11:05 pm
Art and writing are said to be equivalent at the rate of 1000 words per picture.

Painting + Drawing = art.
Sculpting = Design
Music = Rubbish (Not Country, though)
Theater = Homo.
etc.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,01:37   

Jehu takes a bunch of emotions and tries to squeeze them into one thing:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-134307

Jehu

08/27/2007

1:31 am
Sexual selection is a week argument not only for the existance of music and art but also for the very concept of appreciation of beauty beyond sexual attraction. How does sexual selection explain why find sunsets beautiful? Why do some people find and elegant mathmatical equation beautiful? Why is music beautiful?

the weight of the evidence clearly supports the existance of the soul and spirit. To pretend like sexual selection can account for these aspects of human nature is to be in denial.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,05:48   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 27 2007,09:37)
Jehu takes a bunch of emotions and tries to squeeze them into one thing:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-134307

?  

Jehu

08/27/2007

1:31 am
Sexual selection is a week argument not only for the existance of music and art but also for the very concept of appreciation of beauty beyond sexual attraction. How does sexual selection explain why find sunsets beautiful? Why do some people find and elegant mathmatical equation beautiful? Why is music beautiful?

the weight of the evidence clearly supports the existance of the soul and spirit. To pretend like sexual selection can account for these aspects of human nature is to be in denial.

Bwhahahahahaha

Priceless!!!!!

Mommy why am I stupid.

Mrs. Krabappel and Principal Skinner were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and then the baby looked at me.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

simmi

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,07:08   

A bit OT, but I was wondering why people ridiculing DaveScot liberally sprinkle exclamatory "HOMO"s in parodies of his writing.  Is there evidence that he is homophobic?  (Or is the point that he's juvenile?  Plenty of evidence for that...)

[Long time reader of TOA/PT/AE delurking for a bit - hats off to all you folks]

Edit: typo - aargh

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,08:34   

Quote (GCT @ Aug. 26 2007,15:04)
When people point to religious excess or wars, things like the Inquisition, 30 Years War, Crusades etc come up. Hey folks, the most recent of these is 400 years ago and even these were mostly political or in the case of the Crusades, self defense.[/quote]

Crusades = self defense!

So that's why the Crusaders invaded the Holy Land!

I guess they were looking for Weapons of Mass Destruction too?

Holy Allah Batman!  What kind of hashish is this turd-brain smoking?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,08:34   

Quote (simmi @ Aug. 27 2007,15:08)
A bit OT, but I was wondering why people ridiculing DaveScot liberally sprinkle exclamatory "HOMO"s in parodies of his writing. ?Is there evidence that he is homophobic? ?(Or is the point that he's juvenile? ?Plenty of evidence for that...)

[Long time reader of TOA/PT/AE delurking for a bit - hats off to all you folks]

Edit: typo - aargh

RTH and Arden are to blame for taking the fad to the extreme ?so they will have the real answer. Blame me for trying to wring out the last drops of ridicule out of Dave Scott Springer's ? (AKA 'ventriloquist dummy' to Mr. M. Dell) homorisms.
But just for a giggle search ?"girly-man" on uncommonidiocy.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,09:43   

Phhh. Not sure that was me.

I'm to blame for:
Unfashionable all-caps tardologues
"Kristine is a" witch meme.
HAR HAR THIS IS YOU
Fundy chick baiting with TEH_SEXI_HAWT,

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,09:50   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 27 2007,17:43)

I'm to blame for:
HAR HAR THIS IS YOU

Arden started hawt. HOMO!!! *snicker*

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,09:54   

Quote (k.e @ Aug. 27 2007,09:50)

He just named what I got.

*preens*

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,09:58   

It's kind of lost in the mists of time now (Reciprocating Bill could research it! ), but I think the meme of Dave Scot calling people 'homo' began life as a parody of his ridiculous Marine drill sergeant/alpha male pretensions, plus his eagerness to question the masculinity of anyone who points out the absurdity of his statements.

I don't think Dave's ever called anyone 'homo' at UD, but he has thrown the word around at pro-evolution blogs, where he's traditionally felt more free to indulge his true Davetardian id. The amusing thing is, in a case of life imitating art, once we started imitating him that way here, he started throwing the word around much more. He even started occasionally signing his emails 'DT'.

(If I'm missing any historical details here, feel free to correct me.)

If you have a couple hours to burn, you could always browse through the older pages of this thread for the requisite historical background. :p

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,09:59   

Sleeper Agent DaveScot REACTIVATED.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-134347

DaveScot

08/27/2007

9:42 am
What reproductive benefit is there in the admiration of trees, stars, oceans, and sunsets?

A soothing effect. Stress reduction. Stress kills. There?s at least one reproductive benefit. You can?t reproduce if you?re dead from a stress induced heart attack or stroke.

What reproductive benefit is there in tatoos and piercings? Or in Owen Wilson attempting suicide by slashing his wrists and swallowing a toxic number of pills? Is that also explained by imago dei? Is God pierced, inked, and suicidal? It seems to me there?s some cherry picking going on here in which human activities are reflective of God and which are reflective of something else.

A peacock is driven by biological imperative to produce those tail feathers. If the peacock could use his will to create the most attractive plumage he probably would. All I?m saying is that the expression of art may also be driven by biological imperative but humans have more control over the expression than peacocks do. Barry wondered where the drive for artistic expression comes from. He speculated that it?s because God is creative by nature and we reflect that creativity. That explanation seems to be made up out of thin air. Specifics about the nature of God are invariably made by human authors. I suspect that characterizations of God are just another product of human creativity - a work of art.

Don?t get me wrong. It?s painfully obvious the universe was created but who did the creating, when, and why is in the realm of imagination.

Oooh Dave, you were doing well until your limp finish. I know, I know. At the next trail we'll just point to UD with its "God this..... Jesus that..." and it'll be over. The cat just wont go back in the bag, Dave.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,10:00   

?

I'm to blame for:
HAR HAR THIS IS YOU

No, I'm pretty sure Deadman started that one.

Homo. :angry:

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,10:12   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 27 2007,17:54)

He just named what I got.

*preens*

Oh for Jehova's sake, he' s worse than Carol Clouser or that person who is 10^^120 bj's behind, what's his name again?

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,10:14   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Aug. 27 2007,18:00)
?  

I'm to blame for:
HAR HAR THIS IS YOU

No, I'm pretty sure Deadman started that one.

Homo. :angry:

He's off slumming it on IIDB, but thanks he just may be hawter than RTH.

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,10:27   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 27 2007,10:59)

?  

DaveScot

08/27/2007

What reproductive benefit is there in the admiration of trees, stars, oceans, and sunsets?

A soothing effect. Stress reduction. Stress kills. There?s at least one reproductive benefit. You can?t reproduce if you?re dead from a stress induced heart attack or stroke.

What reproductive benefit is there in tatoos and piercings? Or in Owen Wilson attempting suicide by slashing his wrists and swallowing a toxic number of pills? Is that also explained by imago dei? Is God pierced, inked, and suicidal? It seems to me there?s some cherry picking going on here in which human activities are reflective of God and which are reflective of something else.

A peacock is driven by biological imperative to produce those tail feathers. If the peacock could use his will to create the most attractive plumage he probably would. All I?m saying is that the expression of art may also be driven by biological imperative but humans have more control over the expression than peacocks do. Barry wondered where the drive for artistic expression comes from. He speculated that it?s because God is creative by nature and we reflect that creativity. That explanation seems to be made up out of thin air. Specifics about the nature of God are invariably made by human authors. I suspect that characterizations of God are just another product of human creativity - a work of art.

Don?t get me wrong. It?s painfully obvious the universe was created but who did the creating, when, and why is in the realm of imagination.

Oooh Dave, you were doing well until your limp finish. I know, I know. At the next trail we'll just point to UD with its "God this..... Jesus that..." and it'll be over. The cat just wont go back in the bag, Dave.

Dave holds forth on art, because he is an autodidact with an IQ north of 150. This confers upon him expertise on subjects about which he doesn't give a rat's ass, and about which he knows essentially nothing:

?
DaveScott
09/06/2006
7:57 am
I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for all the music and art in the world.

DaveScot
09/07/2006
4:48 am
Music doesn't give me feeling you describe, nor art, but sometimes natural beauty and inner reflection will cause that response. It's not at all the same pleasure response evoked by food, a bit like sex, and very similar to scalp tingling caused by amphetamines.

I know, I know. "Dog bites man."

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,10:33   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 27 2007,09:59)

?

DaveScot

08/27/2007

Wow. It's like DT was a finalist in the Olympic gymnastics competition and was all set to score a 10, but then at the last second he swerved off and smacked his chin on the balance beam. Poor conflicted tard.

"Oh gee, the Designer could be anyone!"

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,10:42   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Aug. 27 2007,10:27)
I know, I know. "Dog bites man."

"Tard bites self"

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,11:00   

Dave holds forth on art, because he is an autodidact with an IQ north of 150

ncth... no, no, no DT holds fort on ass, because he is an autotridact with an imaginary Inuit north of Fort Houseboat.

Not that he has ever been in an igloo, much less, manhandled a dusky native.

But look on the bright side, a Red Dodge needs gas and DT has lots of that.

--------------

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,11:55   

FOR THE RECORD
Jehu: I have yet to hear a single good argument against the Edge of Evolution. The last time I debated the it, I quite when Nick Matzke from the NCSE made the bizarre claim that malaria could not reproduce below 68 degrees farenheit because mosquitos (and all other flying insects) die when the temperature hits freezing. Think about it. Malaria cannot reproduce below 68 degrees farenheit. Water freezes at 32 degrees fareneheit .

tdean: I followed the link - but Nick Matzke doesn?t mention ?68 degress? - he actually said: ??but that in cold regions all the mosquitos (and all other flying insects) die when the temperature hits freezing,??

Perhaps he changed his comment, but there is certainly no reference to 68 there now?

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,12:47   

TARD FIGHT!

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-134364

BarryA

08/27/2007

12:29 pm
DaveScott writes: ??We are created imago dei, in the image of God, and our creative impulse is a faint echo of God?s.? That?s circular.?

Of course it is not circular for the simple reason that it is not an argument. It is a truth claim. The truth claim may be true or false, but not circular.

Grabs popcorn

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,13:21   

The Tard fight continues
Jehu:
Some negative behaviors are evidence of the soul and a need for God. None of my Christian friends are suicidal. What reproductive advantage does depression serve? Yet all humans are susceptible to it and relationship with God is the cure.

DS:
Lucky you. I hope your luck continues. I haven?t been so fortunate.

What reproductive advantage does Jehu serve I wonder?
Link

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,13:25   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Aug. 27 2007,13:21)
The Tard fight continues
Jehu:

Some negative behaviors are evidence of the soul and a need for God. None of my Christian friends are suicidal. What reproductive advantage does depression serve? Yet all humans are susceptible to it and relationship with God is the cure.

DS:  

Link

His ability to 'smell fear'.

Genetic, I assume.

--------------

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,13:37   

The Tard fight continues
Jehu:

DS:    

Link

Jehu would undoubtedly blow a gasket if he managed to read and understand Robert Sapolsky's essay on the reason that schizophrenia (which has a genetic component) persists in the human population. Sapolsky argues that schizophrenics were shamans when we still lived in caves and even today in hunter-gatherer groups, and furthermore that schizophrenics probably were the founders of some of the world's major religions and schisms (e.g. Martin Luther). It's an interesting argument, fairly speculative, but a good read. I suspect jehu wouldn't like it much...

Robert M. Sapolsky, The Trouble with Testosterone, Scribner, New York, 1997, pp. 241-288.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,13:46   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Aug. 27 2007,13:37)

The Tard fight continues
Jehu:
? ? ?

DS: ? ? ?

Link

Jehu would undoubtedly blow a gasket if he managed to read and understand Robert Sapolsky's essay on the reason that schizophrenia (which has a genetic component) persists in the human population. Sapolsky argues that schizophrenics were shamans when we still lived in caves and even today in hunter-gatherer groups, and furthermore that schizophrenics probably were the founders of some of the world's major religions and schisms (e.g. Martin Luther). It's an interesting argument, fairly speculative, but a good read. I suspect jehu wouldn't like it much...

That dovetails with a theory I heard that the great frequency of religious/mystical visions in medieval Europe and the Middle East was due to people's brains shorting out due to malnutrition.

Jehu wouldn't like hearing that, either.

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,14:19   

That dovetails with a theory I heard that the great frequency of religious/mystical visions in medieval Europe and the Middle East was due to people's brains shorting out due to malnutrition.

Hmmm. Didn't some prophets reportedly do periods of fasting before prophetizing?

Henry

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,14:48   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Aug. 27 2007,10:58)
It's kind of lost in the mists of time now (Reciprocating Bill could research it! ), but I think the meme of Dave Scot calling people 'homo' began life as a parody of his ridiculous Marine drill sergeant/alpha male pretensions, plus his eagerness to question the masculinity of anyone who points out the absurdity of his statements.

I don't think Dave's ever called anyone 'homo' at UD, but he has thrown the word around at pro-evolution blogs, where he's traditionally felt more free to indulge his true Davetardian id. The amusing thing is, in a case of life imitating art, once we started imitating him that way here, he started throwing the word around much more. He even started occasionally signing his emails 'DT'.

(If I'm missing any historical details here, feel free to correct me.)

If you have a couple hours to burn, you could always browse through the older pages of this thread for the requisite historical background. :p

I'm not sure I ever saw him use the word homo. Davescot's just this fat, slovenly old guy who like to brag about how he was a jarhead 40 years ago and marines are called Devil Dogs!!!!111 which he types with one hand while ripping open the case of twinkies from Sam's Club with the other. His desperate need to brag and relive imagined glories is ripe for abuse.

OTOH, he might have said 'homo' on some blogs in the past. He can be extremely rude.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,14:50   

Sal tries to "poison the well", succeeds in putting foot in mouth.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/humor....re-2513

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,14:55   

9 posts in the last 3 weeks!!!!oneoneoneone

http://www.overwhelmingevidence.com/oe/

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,14:57   

Quote (stevestory @ Aug. 27 2007,14:48)
I'm not sure I ever saw him use the word homo. Davescot's just this fat, slovenly old guy who like to brag about how he was a jarhead 40 years ago and marines are called Devil Dogs!!!!111 which he types with one hand while ripping open the case of twinkies from Sam's Club with the other. His desperate need to brag and relive imagined glories is ripe for abuse.

Come on, Steve, you need to try harder than that. Twinkies? What about:

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2007,15:09   

Quote (Zachriel @ Aug. 27 2007,11:55)
FOR THE RECORD
Jehu: I have yet to hear a single good argument against the Edge of Evolution. The last time I debated the it, I quite when Nick Matzke from the NCSE made the bizarre claim that malaria could not reproduce below 68 degrees farenheit because mosquitos (and all other flying insects) die when the temperature hits freezing. Think about it. Malaria cannot reproduce below 68 degrees farenheit. Water freezes at 32 degrees fareneheit .

tdean: I followed the link - but Nick Matzke doesn?t mention ?68 degress? - he actually said: ??but that in cold regions all the mosquitos (and all other flying insects) die when the temperature hits freezing,??

Perhaps he changed his comment, but there is certainly no reference to 68 there now?

Jehu continues: Hello? Water freezes at 32 degrees, malaria stops reproducing at 68 degrees.

When St. Petersburg was founded, it was rife with malaria at 56-degrees north latitude. Shakespeare's London had periodic outbreaks of malaria at 52-degrees north latitude. And at Ahvenanmaa, Finland above 60-degrees north latitude...

FINNISH RESEARCH PROGRAMME ON ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH ?
HEALTH, ENVIRONMENT, AND SOCIAL CHANGE, FINLAND 1750?2000: Malaria in Finland was most probably caused by Plasmodium vivax. Malaria was endemic in Finland in the 18th century and 19th century, and Finland was the northernmost country ever to have endemic malaria. The islands of Ahvenanmaa (?land islands) in south-western Finland were the most severely affected area during late 18th and early 19th century. Sever malaria epidemics occurred in Finland in 1749-58, 1774-1777, 1812-16, 1819-21, 1830-32, 1846-48 and 1853-62. The last epidemic was especially widespread. The epidemics started after warm summers and ended abruptly after a cold summer.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 605 606 607 608 609 [610] 611 612 613 614 615 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]