RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (356) < ... 338 339 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 347 348 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 4, Fostering a Greater Understanding of IDC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 07 2013,07:09   

Quote (Mark Frank @ Nov. 07 2013,11:54)
Quote (BillB @ Nov. 07 2013,03:52)
the Nazi's condemned Darwins works as deviant and listed them as books to be burnt.

I didn't realise that - I think I will add it to the UD thread.

On second thoughts - looking at the sheer quantity of incomprehensible verbiage on the thread I maybe won't bother.

A source ...
Guidelines from Die Bücherei 2:6 (1935), p. 279
6. Writings of a philosophical and social nature whose content deals with the false scientific enlightenment of primitive Darwinism and Monism (H?ckel).

I can't actually find a source that says specifically that they burned Darwins books so maybe it is debatable ... but they certainly weren't given the protected status that Christian works were.

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 07 2013,07:35   

Quote (sparc @ Nov. 07 2013,12:10)
If you want to read something reasonable about Hitler's relation to evolution theory I recommend Robert J. Richards' Was Hitler a Darwinian?.
Until I read his article I was not aware that Weickart had to translate the German word "Entwicklung" as "evolution" rather than as "development" to produce a connection from "Mein Kampf" to Darwin.

Someone should point this out to KF so we can all be entertained as he explains at length why everyone else is wrong to translate it that way, how he understands German to English translation much better than any language scholars and how anyone who argues against his is engaging in a turnabout distracting tactic of tossing oil soaked burning straw men down wells in order to poison the debate WHICH HE HAS ALREADY WON ON MERIT AND WITH WARRANT 111ELEVENTY111 and its all part of a conspiracy by evo mat academic linguists etc.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 07 2013,07:48   

KF is still ranting about Darwin and Hitler:

Evolution plays a central role in the chapter in Mein Kampf on “Nation and Race,” which was the only chapter published as a separate pamphlet, thus circulating widely to promote Nazi ideology. 19 In that chapter Hitler explains why he thinks racial mixing violates evolutionary principles:  
Any crossing of two beings not at exactly the same level produces a medium between the level of the two parents. This means: the offspring will probably stand higher than the racially lower parent, but not as high as the higher one. Consequently, it will later succumb in the struggle against the higher level. Such mating is contrary to the will of Nature for a higher breeding of all life.

If KF actually understood evolutionary theory, and had read Darwins work, he would realise that this doesn't feature at all in the actual theory. Even if this thinking was actually based on Darwins work it makes a total and utter mess of it.

The fact that Hitler cites Christ as an inspiration isn't of course something you are allowed to mention in KF's presence, not are you allowed to point out that the Nazi's condemned Darwins works as deviant and listed them as books to be burnt. No doubt KF believes that this was a devious tactic by the Nazis to hide Darwins influence ;)

Oh dear. Fleeming Jenkin's criticism of Dawrin precisely that this would happen (and thus blending inheritance doesn't work)? Luckily we have R.A. Fisher to thank for setting us straight.

Bonus fact: Fisher and Bluebottle both came from East Finchley.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 07 2013,08:25   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Nov. 07 2013,13:48)
KF is still ranting about Darwin and Hitler:

Evolution plays a central role in the chapter in Mein Kampf on “Nation and Race,” which was the only chapter published as a separate pamphlet, thus circulating widely to promote Nazi ideology. 19 In that chapter Hitler explains why he thinks racial mixing violates evolutionary principles:    
Any crossing of two beings not at exactly the same level produces a medium between the level of the two parents. This means: the offspring will probably stand higher than the racially lower parent, but not as high as the higher one. Consequently, it will later succumb in the struggle against the higher level. Such mating is contrary to the will of Nature for a higher breeding of all life.

If KF actually understood evolutionary theory, and had read Darwins work, he would realise that this doesn't feature at all in the actual theory. Even if this thinking was actually based on Darwins work it makes a total and utter mess of it.

The fact that Hitler cites Christ as an inspiration isn't of course something you are allowed to mention in KF's presence, not are you allowed to point out that the Nazi's condemned Darwins works as deviant and listed them as books to be burnt. No doubt KF believes that this was a devious tactic by the Nazis to hide Darwins influence ;)

Oh dear. Fleeming Jenkin's criticism of Dawrin precisely that this would happen (and thus blending inheritance doesn't work)? Luckily we have R.A. Fisher to thank for setting us straight.

Bonus fact: Fisher and Bluebottle both came from East Finchley.

LOL, I didn't think about it like that - so according to Hitler as quoted by KF, Evolutionary can't happen in nature because there is nothing to stop fitter individuals breeding with slightly less fit individuals, which will result in the steady erosion of fitness.

Sounds a bit like the old 'genetic entropy' argument.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 07 2013,14:10   

Quote (BillB @ Nov. 07 2013,05:35)

If you want to read something reasonable about Hitler's relation to evolution theory I recommend Robert J. Richards' Was Hitler a Darwinian?.
Until I read his article I was not aware that Weickart had to translate the German word "Entwicklung" as "evolution" rather than as "development" to produce a connection from "Mein Kampf" to Darwin.

Someone should point this out to KF so we can all be entertained as he explains at length why everyone else is wrong to translate it that way, how he understands German to English translation much better than any language scholars and how anyone who argues against his is engaging in a turnabout distracting tactic of tossing oil soaked burning straw men down wells in order to poison the debate WHICH HE HAS ALREADY WON ON MERIT AND WITH WARRANT 111ELEVENTY111 [FOR RECORD] and its all part of a conspiracy by evo mat academic linguists etc.

You missed a trope. FTFY.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 07 2013,15:09   

Quote (fnxtr @ Nov. 07 2013,12:10)
Quote (BillB @ Nov. 07 2013,05:35)

Someone should point this out to KF so we can all be entertained as he explains at length why everyone else is wrong to translate it that way, how he understands German to English translation much better than any language scholars and how anyone who argues against his is engaging in a turnabout distracting tactic of tossing oil soaked burning straw men down wells in order to poison the debate WHICH HE HAS ALREADY WON ON MERIT AND WITH WARRANT 111ELEVENTY111 [FOR RECORD] and its all part of a conspiracy by evo mat academic linguists etc.

You missed a trope. FTFY.

For shame.  Good day, sir.

END

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 07 2013,20:43   

Quote (BillB @ Nov. 07 2013,05:09)
the Nazi's condemned Darwins works as deviant and listed them as books to be burnt.

On second thoughts - looking at the sheer quantity of incomprehensible verbiage on the thread I maybe won't bother.

A source ...
6. Writings of a philosophical and social nature whose content deals with the false scientific enlightenment of primitive Darwinism and Monism (H?ckel).

I can't actually find a source that says specifically that they burned Darwins books so maybe it is debatable ... but they certainly weren't given the protected status that Christian works were.

Books on the "purification" list were required to be removed from public libraries and destroyed.

How the books were destroyed was a local decision. Burning was obviously an option, but burned or dumped in landfill is still destroyed.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 07 2013,22:20   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Nov. 07 2013,20:43)

Quote (BillB @ Nov. 07 2013,05:09)

A source ...    

Books on the "purification" list were required to be removed from public libraries and destroyed.

How the books were destroyed was a local decision. Burning was obviously an option, but burned or dumped in landfill is still destroyed.

The Nazis may not have burnt Darwin's own books but according to this list in Braunschweig Arnold Dodel's Die Neuere Schöpfungsgeschichte nach dem gegenwärtigen Stande der Naturwissenschaften. in gemeinverständlichen Vorlesungen über die Darwin'sche Abstammungslehre und ihre Bedeutung für die wissenschaftl., socialen und religiösen Bestrebungen dargestellt..
According to German Wikipedia Dodel popularized evolution theory and was the teacher of  Hugo Iltis.

Edited by sparc on Nov. 07 2013,22:24

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 07 2013,22:37   

This Dodel's Die Neuere ... link should work better.

Edited by Quack on Nov. 07 2013,22:40

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 08 2013,10:26   

Quote (Quack @ Nov. 07 2013,20:37)
This Dodel's Die Neuere ... link should work better.

Thanks. I'll use this.

Die Revolution richte sich nicht nur gegen Juden und Marxisten, sondern vor allem auch gegen das Bürgertum, durch dessen Schwäche die Zustände der letzten 14 Jahre möglich gewesen seien.
Es gelte den Liberalismus zu überwinden

Edited by Dr.GH on Nov. 08 2013,08:47

--------------

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 08 2013,22:17   

Since we are at it:
Can somebody page GEM of TKI to let him know that like him the Nazi's didn't like materialism and said so during book burning:

Gegen Klassenkampf und Materialismus!
Für Volksgemeinschaft und idealistische Lebenshaltung!
Ich übergebe der Flamme die Schriften von Marx und Kautsky!

Someone may tell Kairosfocus that like him the Nazis said they were fighting against decadence moral degeneration:  
Gegen Dekadenz und moralischen Verfall!
Für Zucht und Sitte in Familie und Staat!
Ich übergebe der Flamme die Schriften von Heinrich Mann, Ernst Glaeser und Erich Kästner!

Gordon E. Mulings may find it interesting that like him the Nazis were fighting the soul eating overrated sex drive:

Gegen seelenzerfasernde Überschätzung des Trieblebens!
Für den Adel der menschlichen Seele!
Ich übergebe der Flamme die Schriften der Schule Sigmund Freuds!

The three of them may then want to discuss the fact that the Völkische Beobachter during prepairing the public for book burning amongst other justifications proclaimed that banning books would prevent the subversion of ethical and religious foundations.
link and link

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 09 2013,19:39   

I seem to remember that the last time the Darwin-Nazi meme surfaced at UD we countered by asking if the periodic endorsement of slavery by the Roman Catholic Church undermined the message of Christianity.  As I remember, that didn't go down too well.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 09 2013,21:07   

Quote (sparc @ Nov. 08 2013,20:17)
Since we are at it:
Can somebody page GEM of TKI to let him know that like him the Nazi's didn't like materialism and said so during book burning:

Gegen Klassenkampf und Materialismus!
Für Volksgemeinschaft und idealistische Lebenshaltung!
Ich übergebe der Flamme die Schriften von Marx und Kautsky!

Someone may tell Kairosfocus that like him the Nazis said they were fighting against decadence moral degeneration:    
Gegen Dekadenz und moralischen Verfall!
Für Zucht und Sitte in Familie und Staat!
Ich übergebe der Flamme die Schriften von Heinrich Mann, Ernst Glaeser und Erich Kästner!

Gordon E. Mulings may find it interesting that like him the Nazis were fighting the soul eating overrated sex drive:

Gegen seelenzerfasernde Überschätzung des Trieblebens!
Für den Adel der menschlichen Seele!
Ich übergebe der Flamme die Schriften der Schule Sigmund Freuds!

The three of them may then want to discuss the fact that the Völkische Beobachter during prepairing the public for book burning amongst other justifications proclaimed that banning books would prevent the subversion of ethical and religious foundations.
link and link

Re: "Institut für Sexualforschung"

--------------

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 09 2013,22:16   

What's left besides being responsible for currently four enjoyable Uncommonly Dense Threads still going strong?

Edited by sparc on Nov. 10 2013,03:08

--------------

- William Dembski -

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 10 2013,14:58   

Quote (sparc @ Nov. 09 2013,23:16)
What's left besides being responsible for currently four enjoyable Uncommonly Dense Threads still going strong?

I'd feel sad for him if he wasn't such a total putz.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Woodbine

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 10 2013,15:12   

:(

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 10 2013,20:35   

Quote (sparc @ Nov. 09 2013,22:16)

Note that Dembski got his first degree in 1981 and his last in 1996.  If it took 4 years to get his first degree, then he was ensconced in the halls of acadamia for 18 or 19 years while earning seven degrees in five different fields.

What does the real world think of such professional studentry?

After completing graduate school in 1996, Dembski was unable to secure a university position; from then until 1999 he received what he calls "a standard academic salary" of $40,000 a year as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture (CSC). "I was one of the early beneficiaries of Discovery largess," says Dembski.

How did he break back into the academic world?                
In 1999, Dembski was invited by Robert B. Sloan, President of Baylor University, to establish the Michael Polanyi Center at the university. Named after the Hungarian physical chemist and philosopher Michael Polanyi (1891–1976), Dembski described it as "the first intelligent design think tank at a research university". Dembski had known Sloan for about three years, having taught Sloan's daughter at a Christian study summer camp not far from Waco, Texas.

Wikipedia

So he went from a mere high school graduate to the world's most academically distinguished Christian Camp Councilor in only two decades.  Along the way, he got Sloan fired, established himself as a world class asshole and, in an attempt to worm his way back into academia, published the names, addresses, email addresses and private phone numbers of the entire Baylor Board of Reagents.  He also suggested that UD readers use them to contact the Board members because he somehow thought that would help his career.  I'd love to have access to some of the voice mail messages that the Reagents must have received.  Especially any long ones from Carribean area codes. 

Since then, he has discovered that he's "over qualified" for conservative Christian colleges and the liberal Christian colleges are not eager for his services either.  I sure hope the Discotute's money holds out.

Truly, Dembski is a Hero of ID.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 10 2013,21:23   

Especially any long ones from Carribean area codes.

hahahahahahahaha

Can you imagine HRH Gem of Tiki's voice mail?

ring ring:10
(Regent's Answering Phone)Click:"I'm sorry the person you are calling isn't available now. Please leave a message after the tone...BEEEP"
Gordo:Wah yah duh mon? Are yuh pon Ganja? Yuh cyaan sack maas Bill.Di lawd Jah will get yuh.
(Regent's Answering Phone)BEEEP Click:

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

timothya

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 10 2013,23:49   

From k.e.:

Can you imagine HRH Gem of Tiki's voice mail?

ring ring:10
(Regent's Answering Phone)Click:"I'm sorry the person you are calling isn't available now. Please leave a message after the tone...BEEEP"
Gordo:Wah yah duh mon? Are yuh pon Ganja? Yuh cyaan sack maas Bill.Di lawd Jah will get yuh.
(Regent's Answering Phone)BEEEP Click:

Oh come on, GEM could never be as concise as that (even with his egregious truncations).

--------------
"In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread." Anatole France

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 11 2013,02:29   

Since even the funds of the DI are limited Dr. Dembski must have a personal interest in keeping G. Gonzalez at Ball State.

--------------

- William Dembski -

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 11 2013,15:14   

What happened to Dembski's stint in North Carolina at that Bible diploma mill?  I thought he was moving out there.

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 11 2013,16:11   

Quote (Doc Bill @ Nov. 11 2013,15:14)
What happened to Dembski's stint in North Carolina at that Bible diploma mill?  I thought he was moving out there.

Wasn't that the gig where Dr. Dr. was forced to cop to teh flud and then assented in his own inimitable petulant notpology way?

ETA:  Yes, I thought so.

Southwestern Seminary president Paige Patterson, a young Earth creationist, "said that when Dembski’s questionable statements came to light, he convened a meeting with Dembski and several high-ranking administrators at the seminary. At that meeting, Dembski was quick to admit that he was wrong about the flood. "Had I had any inkling that Dr. Dembski was actually denying the absolute trustworthiness of the Bible, then that would have, of course, ended his relationship with the school,” he said."

--------------
Evolution is not about laws but about randomness on happanchance.--Robert Byers, at PT

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 11 2013,16:36   

Quote (sparc @ Nov. 11 2013,02:29)
Since even the funds of the DI are limited Dr. Dembski must have a personal interest in keeping G. Gonzalez at Ball State.

What puzzles me is why anyone wants to keep Dembski at the DI.  Once upon a time he published things, travelled about and gave lectures at reputable venues, etc.  Then he played the role of Brave Sir Robin at Dover, got fired from an increasingly sad caliber of jobs, and started taking money for books that never showed up.  Does he have dirt on someone there?  Do they just pity him?  Has he convinced them he's gonna turn the whole wedge around any day now?

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 11 2013,17:08   

It's hard to keep all those seminaries straight.

The Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas was where he had to recant regarding Noah's Flood.  He started there in June 2006.

Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki.......roversy ) says he taught at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, where "during the academic year 2005-6, he was briefly the Carl F. H. Henry Professor of Theology and Science".

Last summer, he was all set to teach at the Southern Evangelical Seminary in Charlotte.  I remember people admiring their new parking lot as seen on Google Earth, and discussion over Dembski having to agree to the SES YEC doctrinal statement, "We believe in the special creation of the entire space-time universe and of every basic form of life in the six historic days of the Genesis creation record. We also believe in the historicity of the biblical record, including the special creation of Adam and Eve as the literal progenitors of all people, the literal fall and resultant divine curse on the creation, the worldwide flood, and the origin of nations and diverse languages at the tower of Babel.".  
http://hgcpride.org/showcas....-speaks puts him there as of last January.

However, he's not presently listed on their faculty at http://ses.edu/academi....aculty, so did that job not work out either?

Or maybe "Research Professor" at a seminary means "he doesn't have to show up, and we don't bother to list him as part of our faculty"?

Edited to add: his bio for an apologetics conference this year doesn't mention any connections with the Southern Evangelical Seminary
http://cornerstoneschooloftheology.com/courses....it-2013

That lists him as being associated with Marks'  Evolutionary Informatics Lab, which lists him under "People" on their website, at http://www.evoinfo.org/people.....le....e .

Learned Hand

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 11 2013,21:47   

In his conference bio, he claims to have taught at the University of Dallas. When would that have been? He wasn't regular faculty, obviously.

Learned Hand

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 11 2013,21:50   

Whoops, never mind--overlooked an adjunct stint on his c.v.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 12 2013,01:34   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Nov. 11 2013,16:36)

Quote (sparc @ Nov. 11 2013,02:29)

What puzzles me is why anyone wants to keep Dembski at the DI.  Once upon a time he published things, travelled about and gave lectures at reputable venues, etc.  Then he played the role of Brave Sir Robin at Dover, got fired from an increasingly sad caliber of jobs, and started taking money for books that never showed up.  Does he have dirt on someone there?  Do they just pity him?  Has he convinced them he's gonna turn the whole wedge around any day now?

Because, so far as philosophical cover for the IDC movement is concerned, all eggs are in the Dembski basket. He has asserted that his "complex specified information" concept underwrites everything in IDC and is the thing that yields Behe's "irreducible complexity". Behe has assented to this. Stephen Meyer acknowledges the centrality of Dembski's ideas to his argumentation, too. They might want to change at this point, but they are pretty well stuck with Dembski.

This is the reason that I firmly believe that whenever the next IDC-related case turns up in a courtroom, the pro-science side needs to subpoena Dembski as a hostile witness. Dembski is such a font of religious-motivation-speak that there could be days of testimony involved to bring it all forth. And everything in IDC is tied to Dembski so far as philosophical justification is concerned.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 12 2013,21:08   

It's been noticed elsewhere that Densey is now authoring posts for the DI (no linkies for you guys), and she has discovered something called the Copernican Principle, which is a Bad Thing:

Ah. Recall that the Copernican Principle is not evidence. It is an assertion: Earth cannot be a rare planet because that would make us special, which is philosophically unacceptable today. So invoking the Principle, many of these planets must be inhabited.

She has now doubled down on this at UD. The title alone shows the depth of her misinterpretation:

Why doesn’t the Copernican Principle (Principle of Mediocrity) apply to Mars? Why just Earth?

I'm not going to insult the intelligence of AtBC regulars by pointing out just how this is dumb, dumb, dumb.
OK, UD Link

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.†We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.â€
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 12 2013,21:52   

But what does "rare" mean? A small number in the universe as a whole, or simply a tiny fraction of star systems with a yellow dwarf? The latter would still imply a huge number in the universe as a whole, but would be consistent with very few or none within range of detection at this time.

Henry

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 12 2013,23:49   

I thought that Wes made a very cogent observation. Wtihout Dembski, ID creationism has nothing.

How delightful that the YECs have broken him down to slag.

--------------

10669 replies since Aug. 31 2011,21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (356) < ... 338 339 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 347 348 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]