RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,10:05   

(we have a perfect safety record in the U.S. and only a single catastrophic failure in the entire world to date)

Three Mile Island?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,10:07   

Uh no.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,10:12   

Quote (Drew Headley @ Mar. 21 2006,16:02)
But noooooooooooooo… nuclear power plants are “too dangerous” to operate (we have a perfect safety record in the U.S. and only a single catastrophic failure in the entire world to date) and spent fuel disposal is an environmental hazard (even though the fuel was in the environment in the first place).

Apparently DaveScot does not realize that in order to get that fuel it had to be extracted and concentrated beyond natural levels.

Why is DaveScot referring to nuclear power as 'we'?

"Why, plutonium is just another product of nature, just like oil, or selenium!"

Nice to see Dave is branching out from ID and becoming a clearing house for all manner of wingnut-inspired junk science.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,10:20   

Davetard actually did a lot better than some other people in that thread who seemed ready to question the existence of warming. Only the wingiest of wingnuts will still do that. Most have moved on to the 'well it's happening, but it might be good, or inevitable.'

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,10:22   

OK so it wasn't catastrophic...

It's a catastrophe for you,pal, your ass is globally warmed toast. -d2

beervolcano

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,10:24   

Wow, you guys are fast.

I was going to comment on Dave forgetting about 3 mile island.

It was 3 mile island and Chernobyl that started the regulatory demise of widespread nuclear power. I don't remember too many "environmentalist wackos" really going nuts over nuclear power enough to actually influence the regulatory process. If anyone had influence in that arena, it was the "moguls" as DS puts it.

--------------
("It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."--Jonathan Swift)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,10:51   

Quote (Alan Fox @ Mar. 21 2006,16:22)

But that's not what he even said. DaveDell's original statement about nuclear power was 'we have a perfect safety record in the US'

Nice that he's keeping his usual standards of Davetardation.

Watch that comment to see how soon he shoots it down the memory hole.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

cogzoid

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,11:01   

The brouhaha is over this music teacher showing elementary students the play Faust and saying it is a great part of our civilization and Western culture while prohibiting Christmas songs at their “winter concert”. Christmas songs aren’t a great part of our civilization and Western culture?

Then over at Panda’s Thumb Matt Young and the usual suspects are whining about this teacher being disciplined over it. Incredible. These are the people we are up against. I have absolutely had it with people like Matt Young and their concerted effort to censor traditional American culture and values and replace it with their own new age crap. Get out of my country, Young. Right now. Pack your trash and g-e-t o-u-t.
Filed under: Intelligent Design — DaveScot @ 3:49 pm

This is hilarious!  The "winter concert" was in the end of January.  Not your typical Christmas music season.  In fact, the only evidence that DaveTard has that Christmas music was banned at all was from this article which says:
On Jan. 9, 10 and 11 she showed her first-, second- and third-grade classes about 12 minutes of highlights from the video.

"They were on the edge of the seat," Waggoner said of the students' reaction. "Nobody came to me crying, no one wanted to leave."

But on Jan. 13, she received a call from the mother of a second-grader. "She said, 'I basically do not understand why do you not let the kids sing Christmas songs at their winter concert, but you would teach them about the devil. Are you not a Christian?' "

Waggoner said she was shocked at the question and offered to meet with the parent, but the woman never took her up on the offer.

Thanks, DaveTard, for all the laughs.

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,11:05   

And he doesn't seem to realize that it's an opera, not a play ...

cogzoid

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,11:17   

I guess if someone calls DaveTard and accuses him of prohibiting Christmas music he'd have to leave the country.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,11:24   

I have absolutely had it with people like Matt Young and their concerted effort to censor traditional American culture and values and replace it with their own new age crap. Get out of my country, Young. Right now. Pack your trash and g-e-t o-u-t.

Wow! Dave treats the whole country of America just like the people at his blog!

--------------

Tiax

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,11:48   

Back in that thread about the church burnings, Dave decided than anyone who did not expressly condemn the fires was clearly in favor of them.  In his post, Dave does not condemn the allegations that this teacher is a devil-worshipper, or that she is a lesbian, or that she is a non-christian and therefore unfit to teach.  Thus, I conclude that Dave supports all of these allegations.

tacitus

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,11:49   

Quote (Alan Fox @ Mar. 21 2006,16:22)
<Pic. of 3-mile island plaque>

On balance, many people do appear to get overwrought by the peceived dangers of nuclear power.  In reality, even if you include projected long term deaths from cancer after Chernobyl (in the low thousands), fatality rates are no worse than for coal, oil, or hydro-electric sources of power over a similar period of years. (And there's no way of knowing how much oil and coal-fired power stations have contributed to deaths through pollution of the environment.)

Of course, it's easy to see why nuclear power is so unpopular.    Nuclear weapons are the most likely means of our destruction (should it ever happen) and nuclear power is inextricably linked to that.  It's the fear factor, and fear is usually anything but rational.  And the truth is that no amount of re-education is going to make nuclear power acceptable to the American public unless and until the rise in price of other sources of energy bite deep into people's wallets.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,11:58   

Faust is 'new age crap'??

Poor dumb Dave. He really does seem to be off his game today. More than usual, I mean.

--------------

Tiax

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,12:26   

I put up a post saying "I don't think Jingle Bells is on par with Faust," just to see if I can get Dave to kick me out of his country.  I'm not even sure that Jingle Bells is a christmas song, but it seemed like a good enough choice to get Dave's permission to call myself an unamerican devil worshipper.

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,13:07   

Quote (Tiax @ Mar. 21 2006,18:26)
I put up a post saying "I don't think Jingle Bells is on par with Faust," just to see if I can get Dave to kick me out of his country.  I'm not even sure that Jingle Bells is a christmas song, but it seemed like a good enough choice to get Dave's permission to call myself an unamerican devil worshipper.

Jingle Bells is most certainly not a Christmas song, but rather a "sleighing song" (or perhaps, if one is so inclined, a slaying song).  Nevertheless, my sister's elementary banned it for being a Christmas song.

I also noticed that the post was filed under "Intelligent Design."  Is part intelligent design's scientific toolbox identifying acts designed to be non-fundiChristian?  It would appear so.

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,14:07   

Arden Chatfield

Poor dumb Dave. He really does seem to be off his game today. More than usual, I mean.
Uninformed, hysterical nonsense is his game. He's not doing anything out of the ordinary here.

Holy Crap, I had to resave the Uncommonly Dense page. Something tells me this won't go unmolested:

#

I almost want to take back what I wrote on a previous post. I read the segment in detail, instead of relying on the summation given by DAveScot, and I have to say I am truly appalled at the treatment of this teacher. You cannot seriously believe that it was appropriate for her to be punished and asked to apologize for showing the children 12 minutes of an opera? Actually, far from wanting to remove what I said on the last post, I would even more strongly emphasize it precisely because of the greater contextual understanding I now have: who the #### are these so-called Christians that they object to their children seeing representations of the devil? Is not the devil a primary component of THEIR OWN RELIGIOUS WORLDVIEW? The central moral of the Faustus legend is fundamentally a Christian one: a man of learning selling his soul to the devil in exchange for all knowledge is practically a restatement of the Genesis account of the origin of evil. When I was talking about the weakness which is engendered by the attempt to sanitize and purify the surroundings in order to be safe from attack, this is exactly the behavior you would expect to see from such a psychically weakened state: the person, completely unable to endure ideas which run contrary to their own views, blindly begins attacking everything in sight, in much the same way as a weakened and disordered immune system, unable to endure the normal challenges of the microorganisms in its environment runs amok and begins attacking the body it was designed to protect! How nauseating. This does no service to the cause of ID which will depend, for its success, on precisely the virtues of impartiality and openmindedness which are so deeply degraded by this type of mindless conservatism. When I hear about women like the mother who called up the teacher to complain, I almost fear the religious right more than the anti-religionists. It really doesn’t matter which is worse, in the end. Just that both extremes are deleterious to the truth, which shall set us free…

Comment by tinabrewer — March 21, 2006 @ 6:53 pm

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,14:14   

When I hear about women like the mother who called up the teacher to complain, I almost fear the religious right more than the anti-religionists. It really doesn’t matter which is worse, in the end. Just that both extremes are deleterious to the truth, which shall set us free…

No, I'm setting YOU free. You're gone.-dt

--------------

Tiax

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,14:53   

"1. It’s a play. This was a musical adaptation of it. Check your facts FIRST next time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust_(opera)

"5. How on earth do you know the townspeople didn’t know anything about Faust? What a sweeping and assuredly false accusation. You just fabricated that statement out of whole cloth. -ds"

You know, dave's probably right, townspeople should be given the benefit of the doubt as being smarter than him.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,14:58   

Quote (Tiax @ Mar. 21 2006,20:53)
How on earth do you know the townspeople didn’t know anything about Faust? What a sweeping and assuredly false accusation. You just fabricated that statement out of whole cloth. -ds

True. The townspeople of Bennett managed to figure out that Ms. Waggoner was a lesbian devil-worshipper, so they must have a lot on the ball.

--------------

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,15:08   

tnewell wrote:
Your post seeems to give the impression that you think the manner in which Tresa Waggoner is currently being treated is acceptable.

No, it’s not acceptable. She should have been terminated outright and not been given a paid vacation first. -ds

I was just about to complain about how boring UD had become, but DaveTard came through with a brilliantly idiotic and jingoistic diatribe.

My favorite part of the thread so far is this comment by crandaddy, who indirectly labels DaveTard a "knee-jerk reactionary wacko":

I think people are just WAY too sensitive! The world will not come to an end as a result of showing a bunch of public elementary school kids a performance of Faust. Nor will it come to an end as a result of acknowledging to them the fact that Christmas is the holiday on which Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. What worries me are all the knee-jerk reactionary wackos out there who file lawsuits and get people fired from their jobs at the slightest whim!

Comment by crandaddy — March 21, 2006 @ 7:40 pm

There's a lot of passive aggression among the subcommandants at UD these days.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,15:11   

HO-LEY CRAP.
Three comments of mine were deleted from Panda’s Thumb just yesterday. They were less offensive than yours, shorter, and I even used three different names in an effort to hide my identity. Don’t give me any sanctimonious crap about them being more open to debate. The only difference between me and them is I’m not trying hide anything. And I put your post up, little troll. Sans vowels. :lol: -ds

" I even used three different names in an effort to hide my identity." one sentence later "The only difference between me and them is I’m not trying hide anything."

He just pulled ahead of Doug Moron.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,15:29   

now he's modified it to say
Three comments of mine were deleted from Panda’s Thumb just yesterday. They were less offensive than yours, shorter, and I even used three different names in an effort to hide my identity. Don’t give me any sanctimonious crap about them being more open to debate. The only difference between me and them is I’m not trying hide anything (except the name DaveScot from PT censors). And I put your post up, little troll. Sans vowels. :lol: -ds

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,15:33   

this juxtaposition is sweet:

#

Three comments of mine were deleted from Panda’s Thumb just yesterday. They were less offensive than yours, shorter, and I even used three different names in an effort to hide my identity. Don’t give me any sanctimonious crap about them being more open to debate. The only difference between me and them is I’m not trying hide anything (except the name DaveScot from PT censors). And I put your post up, little troll. Sans vowels. :lol: -ds

Comment by JKVisFX — March 21, 2006 @ 6:16 pm
#

Dave, why do you never post my comments? I find them stimulating and well-written, not to toot my own horn.

I don’t recognize your name. Sorry. This is the only comment of yours I have for reference. Maybe I deleted the others for being unforgivably forgettable? -ds
Comment by jt636 — March 21, 2006 @ 6:49 pm

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,15:43   

Man, I'm having to peel myself away from Scrubs to post this stuff, it's coming in fast and furious right now.

#

I was just slumming through that thread and found this:

“Christians, can’t live with em, can’t feed em to the lions anymore.”

It’s comment #88206 by BWE. I should also say that I looked pretty hard to find where this person was somehow reprimanded for it but couldn’t see that it was even acknowledged. Over here, we have no tolerance for attacks like that directed toward any faith.

I can hardly believe you wrote this immediately following a comment about people being overly sensitive. Non sequitur. -ds

Comment by crandaddy — March 21, 2006 @ 8:03 pm

Davetard vs crandaddy?...can't they somehow both lose?

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,15:44   

gss y jst dn’t lk bng shwn p fr th fl tht y r, d y? Cn’t tk t whn smn ls, mch smrtr thn yrslf, pnts t hw y r wrng s y spw t pc f bl t gys lk Mtt Yng jst whn th dfnd tchr wh hs clrly bn trtd nfrly? Hw bt, nstd, rgng th fcts - h, frgt, y dn’t hv ny fcts tht spprt yr pstn s y s th nly thng y d hv - scrchng, lk bnsh.

ly dds n tht y wll cnsr r nt pst ths rply t ll.

Hv nc dy y ‘trd.

Comment by JKVisFX — March 21, 2006 @ 5:23 pm

Re-emvoweled:
I guess you just don’t like being shown up for the fool that you are, do you? Can’t take it when someone else, much smarter than yourself, points out how you are wrong so you spew out a piece of bull (?) at guys like Matt Young just when they defend a teacher who has clearly been treated unfairly? How about, instead, arguing the facts - oh, I forgot, you don’t have any facts that support your position so you use the only thing you do have - screeching, like a banshee (?)

I lay odds on (?) that you will censor or not post this reply at all.

Have a nice day you ‘tard.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,15:56   

It’s comment #88206 by BWE. I should also say that I looked pretty hard to find where this person was somehow reprimanded for it but couldn’t see that it was even acknowledged. Over here, we have no tolerance for attacks like that directed toward any faith.

Ho ho ho. The wonderful bastion of tolerance that is UD. Guess he's never heard DaveScot talk about Islam.

--------------

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,15:58   

Davetard vs crandaddy?...can't they somehow both lose?

They did, but it happened long before they started posting on UD.

as to nuclear power...

I grew up surfing near San Onofre nuclear power plant in So. Cal.

accidents were a regular occurence.  I observed mass shipments of radioactively contamined sand on more than one occasion.

as to fatality statistics....

the difference between nuclear and coal is that nuclear is MUCH harder to clean up after an accident; the land becomes unuseable for decades.

birth defects, crop failures, etc.

or did you forget about the aftermath of chernobyl?

The risks are simply not worth it, no matter how rare "serious" accidents are.

It's like saying that many more people die from accidental explosions of standard munitions than from nuclear ones.

it's a pointless statement that ignores the tremendous qualitative differences between a "nuclear" accident and a standard one.

UnMark

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,16:18   

My mother is an elementary school music teacher, with nearly 30 years experience.  She regales me with her Wintertide Concert woes every winter, including this year a "discussion" with a parent, through their child, about whether or not Jingle Bells is a Christmas song.  (It *is* a winter song, but *not* a Christmas song, FWIW.)  The parent wouldn't accept that - apparently the parent's opinion is more correct than the expert's.

My wife teaches littluns at a local daycare.  They, too, have a Wintertide Concert, in which no religious songs can be sung.  I'm all for tolerance, but the utter *ussification of America is getting more and more egregious.

Your post seeems to give the impression that you think the manner in which Tresa Waggoner is currently being treated is acceptable.

No, it's not acceptable. She should have been terminated outright and not been given a paid vacation first. -ds

I can't help but muse over how well the UD comment policy is being enforced by UD's Draconian Moderation "Team."

Drew Headley

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2006,16:32   

Quote (Tiax @ Mar. 21 2006,20:53)
"1. It’s a play. This was a musical adaptation of it. Check your facts FIRST next time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust_(opera)

It seems that DaveScot is correct, it was originally a play under the name The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus written by Christopher Marlowe around the late 1500 early 1600s. It was based on Germanic folklore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tragical_History_of_Doctor_Faustus

The opera cited was written by Charles Gounod in 1859.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]