RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 924 925 926 927 928 [929] 930 931 932 933 934 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,18:54   

Dave's in a bind. His ego is too big to spend time on any blog he can't control ...

Didn't Dave post at Freerepublic as SirLinksALot until being banned for supporting the wrong guy in the primaries?

Apologies if I ruined anyone's supper.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,20:03   

Gil wants some math:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/darwini....-287904

Funny how they don't use it in the EF, though..

The evidence of fossil eyes is there to see. You have to go with 'evilution', or recreation with meddling.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,20:06   

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 07 2008,17:58)
Is Dave allowed to post here, uncle Wes?

Nope. The threat to crack PT was taken seriously on that score.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,20:14   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ May 07 2008,20:06)
Quote (Richardthughes @ May 07 2008,17:58)
Is Dave allowed to post here, uncle Wes?

Nope. The threat to crack PT was taken seriously on that score.

Fairy Nuff.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,20:22   

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 07 2008,18:03)
Gil wants some math:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/darwini....-287904

Funny how they don't use it in the EF, though..

The evidence of fossil eyes is there to see. You have to go with 'evilution', or recreation with meddling.

Dude, they must do this:

GilDodgen

This NCSE eye-evolution nonsense deserves a dedicated UD thread.

The only man right for the job is Cordova.  Do it, Sal. Do it.  Just consider all the stupid shit you could say and how much joy you'll bring to materialist evolanders the world over.  This could be it Sal: the one that makes you a legend................

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,20:23   

I'll bet a full, heart-felt, sincere apology on the front page of UD would go a long way toward reconciliation.  (i.e. not a Notpology)

Just sayin'.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,20:25   

Quote (didymos @ May 07 2008,21:22)
The only man right for the job is Cordova.  Do it, Sal. Do it.  Just consider all the stupid shit you could say and how much joy you'll bring to materialist evolanders the world over.  This could be it Sal: the one that makes you a legend................

That's beer-snort funny.  Thanks.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,20:40   

Quote (Lou FCD @ May 07 2008,20:25)
Quote (didymos @ May 07 2008,21:22)

That's beer-snort funny.  Thanks.

No, leave it to Casey an earth scientist Luskin.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,20:53   

Dave will luuuuuurrrrvveeeeee this:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/philoso....owledge

Not.

--------------

Robert O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,21:07   

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 07 2008,20:53)

Not.

Is Joel the guy who was supposed to be Bill Dembski's research assistant? (Whatever that entails.)

--------------
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,21:09   

Quote (Robert O'Brien @ May 07 2008,21:07)

Not.

Is Joel the guy who was supposed to be Bill Dembski's research assistant? (Whatever that entails.)

He had a blog called "stop lying to us" as well?

--------------

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,21:10   

Quote (Robert O'Brien @ May 06 2008,20:03)
2. The only ones I know of who think "God" is the literal father of Jesus Christ are some Mormons.

Don't get out much, do you?

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,21:12   

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 07 2008,22:09)
Quote (Robert O'Brien @ May 07 2008,21:07)

Not.

Yup, that's him.

I believe that this is Joel as well.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,21:13   

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 07 2008,21:09)
Not.[/quote]
Is Joel the guy who was supposed to be Bill Dembski's research assistant? (Whatever that entails.)[/quote]

Yeah... As I recall, he had PIMP* all over him about his blog title.  

* Protecting Irony Meter People

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,23:19   

So, it's not just the ape thing then:

Comparing plants and people is like comparing apples and oranges. Actually it’s worse than that!:D

Yeah, I hate it when people compare apples and oranges too.  I mean, obviously, comparing two members of clade rosids is just so much nonsense.  What's up with that?

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 07 2008,23:52   

Impressive.  Most impressive, young Collado, but you are not a Cordova yet:

But when these indians [the Huaoroni] saw and heard the Gospel in action, after a respite of a few months, their murder rate dropped about 90 percent according to anthropologists Carole and Clay Robarchek.

First contact with Gospel not quite as effective as claimed:

In 1956, a group of five American missionaries, led by Jim Elliot and pilot Nate Saint, made contact with the Huaorani in what was known as Operation Auca. Two days after friendly contact with three Huaorani, all five of the missionaries were killed in a spearing attack by a larger group from the same Huaorani clan.

Now, the 90% part is true for the murder rate, but here's what the Robarcheks actually have to say about that:

The turnaround began in the early 1960s, when a pair of missionaries, aided by two charismatic Waorani women, arrived to try to put an end to the nonstop cycle of violence, the Robarcheks said.

"The Waorani women who went in with the missionaries were able to talk to their relatives and tell them not everybody on the outside world lives like this," Clay Robarchek said. "What the missionaries provided was a new reality, a new image of a world the Waorani hadn't imagined they could have."

The promise of American-style tools and consumer goods, such as gasoline-powered fishing boat engines and shotguns to replace wooden hunting spears, helped serve as rewards for the change in behaviors, Carole Robarchek said.

So, not so much "Jesus Saves" as "I gots to have me a shotty"

Edited to add:  plus, the idea of citing missionaries as evidence of Christianity's benevolent influence on native peoples is pretty batshit to start with.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,00:38   

Barry A :

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....re-3322

Barry's giver of transcendent morality:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Samuel%2015:2-3

Also, Barry, the uniformity of nature is induced.

--------------

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,02:06   

I like how Barry says that anyone who thinks that it's possible to think that infanticide is moral is lying. That's quite a way to insulate oneself from criticism. "I am self-evidently right; anyone who disagrees must be lying." Counterexamples of people who clearly thought infanticide was a good thing under certain circumstances, such as when the kid was unlucky enough to be in Hiroshima or born to Jewish or bourgeois or Tutsi parents? Well, I'm self-evidently right, so they must have known they were in the wrong even if they gave every indication that they did not. Infanticide via exposure or willful starvation been a common and accepted custom in many parts of the world? Self-evident. Trust me.

Edited for grammar, because grammar is next to godliness.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,02:21   

Quote (Annyday @ May 08 2008,00:06)
I like how Barry says that anyone who thinks that it's possible to think that infanticide is moral is lying. That's quite a way to insulate oneself from criticism. "I am self-evidently right; anyone who disagrees must be lying." Counterexamples of people who clearly thought infanticide was a good thing under certain circumstances, such as when the kid was unlucky enough to be in Hiroshima or born to Jewish or bourgeois or Tutsi parents? Well, I'm self-evidently right, so they must have known they were in the wrong even if they gave every indication that they do not. Infanticide via exposure or willful starvation been a common and accepted custom in many parts of the world? Self-evident. Trust me.

(edited for bolding)

--------------

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,02:37   

Quote (Annyday @ May 08 2008,02:06)
I like how Barry says that anyone who thinks that it's possible to think that infanticide is moral is lying. That's quite a way to insulate oneself from criticism. "I am self-evidently right; anyone who disagrees must be lying." Counterexamples of people who clearly thought infanticide was a good thing under certain circumstances, such as when the kid was unlucky enough to be in Hiroshima or born to Jewish or bourgeois or Tutsi parents? Well, I'm self-evidently right, so they must have known they were in the wrong even if they gave every indication that they do not. Infanticide via exposure or willful starvation been a common and accepted custom in many parts of the world? Self-evident. Trust me.

PSALMS 137:9 How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,02:37   

The classics never get old:

By the way, a few weeks ago I heard a famous chemist (George Whitesides of MIT) speak at the American Chemical Society meeting in New Orleans

and he expressed some incredulity toward OOL and since like he's a super smart for reals scientist with a science degree, so like there's that. Yeah. Oh, and he thinks some ID people are smart too, so you should be nice to all of us, and I'm gonna really lay it on thick by noting this chemistry guy is:

someone who is much more knowledgeable than even most scientists.

Except, apparently, not about abiogenesis research. Or so "Chemfarmer" implies.  Since Whitesides heads a research group at Harvard, not MIT (he left in 1982), I'm thinkin' Chemfarmer may not be one of those ID people Whitesides was thinking about. Especially since there's this:

which leads to this. Oh, and the fact that he's a well-known OOL researcher among chemists:

For those of you who don't know who Whitesides is - he's a professor at Harvard who has the widest ranging research areas I know of - and is doing some interesting work in the chemistry of the origins of life. He's a hero to many young chemists[.]

So, yeah. I'd love to know what Whitesides actually said in his address.  I'm getting the idea Chemfarmer got a few details wrong.  Or he's taking a page from the Cordova playbook, in which case I suggest Chemfarmer change his handle to Quoteminer.

(edited for formatting and additional snark)
(edited again to more accurately paraphrase Chemfarmer'sQuotminer's post)

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,02:49   

Quote (didymos @ May 08 2008,08:37)
The classics never get old:

By the way, a few weeks ago I heard a famous chemist (George Whitesides of MIT) speak at the American Chemical Society meeting in New Orleans

and he expressed some incredulity toward OOL and since like he's a super smart for reals scientist with a science degree, so like there's that. Yeah. Oh, and he thinks some ID people are smart too, so you should be nice to all of us, and I'm gonna really lay it on thick by noting this chemistry guy is:

someone who is much more knowledgeable than even most scientists.

Except, apparently, not about abiogenesis research. Or so "Chemfarmer" claims.  Since Whitesides heads a research group at Harvard, not MIT (he left in 1982), I'm thinkin' Chemfarmer may not be one of those ID people Whitesides was thinking about. Especially since there's this:

which leads to this. Oh, and the fact that he's a well-known OOL researcher among chemists:

For those of you who don't know who Whitesides is - he's a professor at Harvard who has the widest ranging research areas I know of - and is doing some interesting work in the chemistry of the origins of life. He's a hero to many young chemists[.]

So, yeah. I'd love to know what Whitesides actually said in his address.  I'm getting the idea Chemfarmer got a few details wrong.  Or he's taking a page from the Cordova playbook, in which case I suggest Chemfarmer change his handle to Quoteminer.

(edited for formatting and additional snark).

LOL George Whitesides a pseudocreationist? Bollocks and utter crap! This chemfarmer chap is talking out of his puckered posterior sphincter.

As you note, George's group have been doing OOL research for years, he's no abiogenesis denialist. In fact (and I'll see if I can dig this out) a few years back he wrote an article about what major scientific questions chemistry has to answer. Guess which topic was prominently in the list?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,02:56   

Quote (Louis @ May 08 2008,00:49)
LOL George Whitesides a pseudocreationist? Bollocks and utter crap! This chemfarmer chap is talking out of his puckered posterior sphincter.

As you note, George's group have been doing OOL research for years, he's no abiogenesis denialist. In fact (and I'll see if I can dig this out) a few years back he wrote an article about what major scientific questions chemistry has to answer. Guess which topic was prominently in the list?

Yeah.  I'm poking around for a transcript, but I imagine what Whitesides actually said was something along the lines of "This shit's really hard and I'm not going to pretend I know what went down. There will be surprises in store."  But, you know, more chemicalish and eloquent-like. Based on Quoteminer's accuracy, it seems pretty likely Whitesides was a bit less charitable regarding ID than claimed.

--------------

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,03:14   

Quote (didymos @ May 08 2008,00:56)

Quote (Louis @ May 08 2008,00:49)

Yeah.  I'm poking around for a transcript, but I imagine what Whitesides actually said was something along the lines of "This shit's really hard and I'm not going to pretend I know what went down. There will be surprises in store."  But, you know, more chemicalish and eloquent-like. Based on Quoteminer's accuracy, it seems pretty likely Whitesides was a bit less charitable regarding ID than claimed.

Found this summary on the OOL part of the talk:

George Whitesides (GW) gave a talk entitled “Questions about questions about the origins of life”.  It was actually a kind of homily summarizing his summaries. Ok. Let’s see if I can do better than that.  GW has been ruminating on the origins of life and has come to the conclusion that neither the physicists or the biologists are equipped to solve the problem.

The first matter that he paraded before the audience was this- is it enough to say that the world is bifurcated into two domains- alive and not alive? Is it binary or continuous? GW thinks it is continuous.  It just occured to me that prions may be a good present day exception to the assertion that it is binary. But what really matters is the question of whether life was continuous or binary during the peribiotic period while life was forming.

GW suggested that it is important for us to find examples of chemical fossils.  These would be chemical compositions left intact from that era. The problem of the origin of life cannot be answered by simple extrapolation backward from present biology because the peribiotic conditions in which life arose have not been present for several billion years. We are far from understanding the chemical and redox makeup of the peribiotic world.

The origin of life arose from reaction networks that afforded molecular species that could self amplify or self replicate in an anoxic, reductive environment.

The question of the mechanistic origins of life is vastly different from the question of the mechanistic evolution of life.

Both are chemical phenomena and a mechanistic picture of both will ultimately be assembled by chemists of one sort or other.

and this account which gives some more detail:

I saw an excellent lecture by George Whitesides of Harvard yesterday. His official status as god-of-chemistry – and the fact that his talk was tantalisingly entitled ‘Questions about questions about the origins of life’ – meant that the small hall was packed to overflowing.

Whitesides put a health warning on the talk – there were very few facts, a lot of speculation, and no answers. Nevertheless, in forty minutes he set out a research agenda that could allow chemistry to answer one of the most fundamental questions – how life began.

Unlike the ‘puzzles’ that trouble most chemists (projects such as total synthesis of a natural product, where much of the intellectual satisfaction is in the journey, rather than the destination; where its possible to frame the question absolutely; and where its clear that there is an answer to be found), this is a true ‘problem’, he argues – it’s really not clear what questions need to be answered, or if there is even an end-point to be reached.

There has been fifty years of research into how simple biological molecules could have formed from the prebiotic components available on Earth some 3.8 billion years ago. Likewise, progress towards defining the ‘RNA world’, where that molecule acted as both information carrier and catalyst before DNA arrived on the scene, is pretty good.

But there is a hug gap to bridge between the two, says Whitesides, and chemists are best place to build it. So if you want to get started on a problem which he predicts will take generations to crack, here are a few of his suggestions:

- Work out the organic chemistry of black smokers, the underground geothermal chimneys that spew out a hot, fertile mixture of organics and inorganics

- Figure out what kind of chemistry is possible in deep space

- Work out how ‘primitive co-factors’ – enzymes that contain clunky inorganic bits, such as the nickel-dependant urease – which are common to most forms of life could form.

- Discover how ion gradients (potassium inside the cell, sodium outside the cell) can form from natural processes. ‘People ask me where life comes from,’ says Whitesides, only half-joking, ‘and I say Alberta’. He’s specifically referring to an evaporated salt sea that would have concentrated these ions in its shrinking pools.

- Likewise, how did the triphosphate energy-carrying group arise?

Interestingly, he thinks that the search for the origins of chirality doesn’t fall into this catalogue of life’s fundamental aspects. Organic chemists love chirality, which is why so much effort is expended on figuring out life’s preference for left-handed amino acids, he says – but ultimately it’s a distraction. ‘It’s a real Rorschach test for people,’ he told me. ‘Either you think it’s really important, or not important at all’. Hmmm – Ron Breslow is clearly in the former category, and indeed so am I. On the other hand, it’s a brave man that bets against Whitesides.

He argues that it’ll take new ways of thinking about chemistry to tackle the origin of life problem – and trying to reconstruct these complex networks will take a lot of hard maths (so the biologists are no use, he adds). So – anyone up for the challenge?

Neither account mentions a thing about Whitesides waxing-ecstatic about the intellect of the ID crowd.  Both pretty much confirm my guess as to the true content regarding OOL. Quoteminer it is then.

Hopefully, the ACS will make a full transcript available, because I'd love to read it.

--------------

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,03:21   

Oh, and I think I found the article you mentioned, Louis:

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/85/8513cover1.html

--------------

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,04:33   

I wonder if Chemfarmer understands the relationship between
the two paragraphs he wrote:

Bob - sorry, please keep your kudos. I was being unusually generous for the sake of respectful discussion, but the more I learn about the site you linked to, the more I see that its the same old stuff, perhaps done slightly more respectfully than, say, Pandas Thumb, etc.
By the way, a few weeks ago I heard a famous chemist (George Whitesides of MIT) speak at the American Chemical Society meeting in New Orleans. ... He then said something to the effect (not a quote) “There are people who see a religious aspect to this and promote intelligent design. Many scientists often simply dismiss those people. But there are some very intelligent people in the design camp. I do not have a single religious corpuscle in my body, but I think deriding the ID folks is not a useful response.” I haven’t been able to locate a transcript. But this is a good example of respecting the other side, and by someone who is much more knowledgeable than even most scientists.
(bolding mine, all mine)

What was that Whitesides said about not dismissing the other side, eh?  he's right, I'm glad to be taking my kudos back.

The UDites have now demonstrated to my satisfaction that they're not able to heed the call to respect the other side.  Not that this is the bast thread to discuss that issue...

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,06:04   

Wrath of Dave in 3 2 1:

Eric Anderson

05/08/2008

3:42 am

DaveScot, looks like since you weren’t able to adequately support your position on the other threads you’ve resorted to parody?

Oh, well. Certainly don’t want to spoil your fun . . .

The peasants are revolting!

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,06:46   

Quote (didymos @ May 08 2008,07:04)
Wrath of Dave in 3 2 1:

Eric Anderson

05/08/2008

3:42 am

DaveScot, looks like since you weren’t able to adequately support your position on the other threads you’ve resorted to parody?

Oh, well. Certainly don’t want to spoil your fun . . .

The peasants are revolting!

I've generally found that to be the case, too.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,07:20   

Deuteronomy 3:3-7

So the LORD our God gave into our hand Og also, the king of Bashan, and all his people; and we smote him until no survivor was left to him.

And we took all his cities at that time--there was not a city which we did not take from them--sixty cities, the whole region of Argob, the kingdom of Og in Bashan.

All these were cities fortified with high walls, gates, and bars, besides very many unwalled villages.

And we utterly destroyed them, as we did to Sihon the king of Heshbon, destroying every city, men, women, and children.

But all the cattle and the spoil of the cities we took as our booty.

They didn't kill the cows, though.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,07:29   

They didn't kill the cows, though.

Not immediately, anyway.

E: speeling errroar

Edited by Wesley R. Elsberry on May 08 2008,09:40

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 924 925 926 927 928 [929] 930 931 932 933 934 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]