RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (12) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 >   
  Topic: Intellectually Honest Christians?, Is it possible?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,07:02   

Quote (Russell @ Jan. 10 2007,06:40)
It might be summed up in the catchphrase "lighten up" which we could all do well to read every now and then.
Yes. Well, with the possible exception of Johnny Winter.

Or Edgar Winter.    ;)

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,07:09   

Quote (BWE @ Jan. 09 2007,20:08)
It might be summed up in the catchphrase "lighten up" which we could all do well to read every now and then. :)

Indeed, fundies are the most tight-ass group of people I've ever run across.

With the possible exception of Leninists (with which the fundies share many many characteristics).

--------------

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,08:02   

I've taken us far from Scary's initial question so I'm going to continue this on my own.  I did want to make concluding comment.  It would seem that this viewpoint would deny one from obtaining knowledge of any objective sort.  The words are just symbols that inadequately describe reality and you must experience something to actually know it but you cannot share that with anyone else because they haven't experienced what you have and the symbols limit your ability to share a common experience accurately.  Sounds like each creates their own reality and it is unique.  Anyway, back to Scary's discussion.

P.S. Lenny, if by "authority" you mean an objective reality in which existence is or it isn't of specific essences whether we know it or not, then yes, I subscribe to that.  If you're referring to an Authority Figure then you're still offbase.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,08:37   

Or Edgar Winter.   ;)
Danm. Did I get the wrong Winter?
Indeed, fundies are the most tight-ass group of people I've ever run across.

With the possible exception of Leninists (with which the fundies share many many characteristics).
Amen.
If you'll pardon the expression.

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,08:42   

Quote (skeptic @ Jan. 10 2007,09:02)
I've taken us far from Scary's initial question so I'm going to continue this on my own.  I did want to make concluding comment.  It would seem that this viewpoint would deny one from obtaining knowledge of any objective sort.  The words are just symbols that inadequately describe reality and you must experience something to actually know it but you cannot share that with anyone else because they haven't experienced what you have and the symbols limit your ability to share a common experience accurately.  Sounds like each creates their own reality and it is unique.  Anyway, back to Scary's discussion.

P.S. Lenny, if by "authority" you mean an objective reality in which existence is or it isn't of specific essences whether we know it or not, then yes, I subscribe to that.  If you're referring to an Authority Figure then you're still offbase.

You give up too easily skeptic.  From an independent observer I can make the following summary by analogy.  This is only my words and my view at present.

Early man saw lightning, heard thunder, and felt rain.  Processes (reality) that could not be understood or duplicated by the people experiencing these things.  Words were created to describe these phenomenae but attributions to the "creative" powers were brought in to calm the (natural?) fear of the unknown that the masses exhibited.  This poorly put together analogy is (I think) what Lenny is alluding to when he states your perception is locked into authority.  You "need" to have something spelled out as omnipotent/all-powerful or over-arching to make sense of everything else.

When Galileo discovered the Jovian moons the reality of the moons didn't change, only the perception of Galileo to the universe around him.  Galileo's words and writings were purely an attempt to convey meaning through the "Galileo reality filter" to those around him.  The church attempt to squash this message was just a case of differences in interpretation, not denial of the overall reality.  The "reality of the Jovian moons" never changed regardless of what message the masses heard.

Now we can stretch this analogy to the breaking point.  The same could be said of any new discovery in the universe.  By simple extension we can project that all such attempts by anyone (let's just say human for now) to explain any type of perception (reality based OR OTHERWISE) is purely a word jumble attempt to convey that persons projection to the rest of humanity.  The words have no value, only the "reality" that they try and describe has value.  BUT this "value" is only "real" to the witness of the reality described.  What muddy prose to describe an internal process.

Science enters the scene because it offers a neutral venue to describe reality that others can reproduce and experience for themselves.  I can describe gravity in many words, but probably the most "value" comes when I say that at the earth's surface it has an accelleration of 9.8 m/s^2.  I just gave you (and everyone else) a chance to not only interpret my word jumble that describes gravity but also a concrete "value" that you can take and reproduce and experience in your own internal word jumble that you create yourself.

Extend this thought to the unknown and unmeasureable aspects of the universe, human condition, butterfly thoughts, etc... and you can see that the concepts of a "higher authority" start to make no sense to the "reality" as it already exists.  The "higher authority" is only a projection of those who perceive it that way.

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,08:58   

Quote (Mike PSS @ Jan. 10 2007,08:42)
You give up too easily skeptic.  From an independent observer I can make the following summary by analogy.  This is only my words and my view at present.

This poorly put together analogy is (I think) what Lenny is alluding to when he states your perception is locked into authority.  You "need" to have something spelled out as omnipotent/all-powerful or over-arching to make sense of everything else.

Two quick ones:

I'm not giving up, I just don't want to sidetrack Scary's discussion any further.

And the idea of an omnipotent/all-powerful authority is not a requirement and that is why Lenny's authority concept doesn't apply.  The Cause could be any number (or infinite) of things that resulted in existence as opposed to oblivion.  It need not be active, aware, unnatural or even still in around.  At the fundamental level it might just be more important to recognize that there is a cause than what the nature of the that cause is.

Anyway, I'll do some reading on my own and try to get a glimpse from the other side.

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,09:34   

Quote (skeptic @ Jan. 10 2007,09:58)
Quote (Mike PSS @ Jan. 10 2007,08:42)

This poorly put together analogy is (I think) what Lenny is alluding to when he states your perception is locked into authority.  You "need" to have something spelled out as omnipotent/all-powerful or over-arching to make sense of everything else.

Two quick ones:

I'm not giving up, I just don't want to sidetrack Scary's discussion any further.

And the idea of an omnipotent/all-powerful authority is not a requirement and that is why Lenny's authority concept doesn't apply.  The Cause could be any number (or infinite) of things that resulted in existence as opposed to oblivion.  It need not be active, aware, unnatural or even still in around.  At the fundamental level it might just be more important to recognize that there is a cause than what the nature of the that cause is.

Anyway, I'll do some reading on my own and try to get a glimpse from the other side.

First off, I included the science statement in my analogy because this addresses the subject of the thread.  I can explain this if you need.

You contradict yourself immediately by attributing "The Cause" to (what I think is) our creation.  This is your authority statement.  Yes, our creation "happened" but so did everything else.
What is the reason you attribute "The Cause" as an over-arching event?

The first bolded part of your statement is your own perception (in this case a duality) of choice.  Either we exist or there is oblivion.  Well, we exist so what now brown cow.  Your duality is meaningless in my perception of your words.  And I can project "value" on my perception by saying:
"Look into a mirror and describe the oblivion, or lack thereof, that you perceive."
Anyone reading this, including Intellectually Honest Christians, can duplicate this action and begin to form their own word jumble to describe this experience.

The second bolded part reinforces your own perception of a duality in your universe.  All of us are part of the same reality, the same existence.  There are no opposites sides, only interpretations.

As an aside, I came into this world view by reading about everything else (religion, history, science, etc.) and trying to encapsulate ALL of what I read into a coherent perception that INCLUDES everything.  I haven't spent time or effort reading specifically about eastern Tao, or Zen.  What is interesting is that a lot of my conclusions about life in general are paralleled by authors thousands of years ago.  So even though my sources of information are different, and probably more detailed, the general perceptions I have are nothing new to the human condition.

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,10:47   

Quote (skeptic @ Jan. 10 2007,08:58)
The Cause could be any number (or infinite) of things that resulted in existence as opposed to oblivion.

What makes you think these are opposed? Is good opposed to evil? Is light opposed to dark?

Science is a perfect analogy, especially regarding intellectual honesty.

Science is an attempt to force our nature of symbolic understanding to fit with the reality of experience as close as possible. The scientific method attempts to represent specifically what we can experience and to separate what can be experienced from the baggage we attach to experience.

That is why I often call buddhism the religion that employs the scientific method. Even though some PT types laugh and call me names, my point is that you are not symbolizing reality in a way that lets you abstract from experience. You must repeat the experiment to understand the experience.

Buddhist thought does not allow for a "leap of faith". Exactly not.

You assume two sides of a coin (to use a symbolic analogy) are actually two different coins. Oblivion is not oblivion without existence. No thing exists except because it has an opposite. There can't be good unless there is evil for the same reason. Or do you think there can be good without evil?

By the way,
However, that makes it look like there is some Experience® to go and look for.

It might be summed up in the catchphrase "lighten up" which we could all do well to read every now and then. :)

is a trick statement. Do you get the joke?

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,16:02   

Or do you think there can be good without evil?

both being subjective definitions, neither really exists out of context.

or am I being too Nietschian?

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,16:03   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Jan. 10 2007,16:02)

Oh now, don't YOU go all Tard on me too.

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,16:07   

Louis started it! I swear!

... he said I would rue the day...

--------------

-CC

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,16:40   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Jan. 10 2007,16:07)

Hmmm... Well, OK. Now, about those opposites?

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,16:58   

oh? asking me now eh?

then you already have my answer.

no, good cannot exist without evil to counter-define it.  no absolute postulate can exist without opposing endpoints to define it.  

still, I can't think of a single absolute postulate that isn't an artificial construct, useless outside of a specified context (good and evil being a perfect example, whose meanings and usage can change from time to time and society to society).  

now, once you HAVE defined the opposing endpoints of the scale, and if there also exists the ability to maintain a consistent understanding of the endpoints involved, you could in fact have the understanding that at any specific time, those utilizing the same scale could perceive a particular space and time as being "wholly good" or "entirely evil".

so while the concept of good cannont exist without an understanding of its opposite, at any given time, so long as all agree on the definition and context, it is easy to envision the possibility of a given society percieving an absolute lack of evil or good.

bottom line; the concept is defined by its opposite, but in context, the perception of the concept can exist without.

--------------

-CC

Steviepinhead

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,17:12   

Uh.

Hmmm.

(Various other throat-clearing noises.)

Each thing/concept/construct having an "opposite" is, I think ("think" here signalling personal opinion, and not something I'm going to be immediately able to link "evidence" to support) a human cultural attempt to shoehorn Reality into our limited sensorium/consciousness.

I think dualities--and the somewhat more progressive thesis-antithesis-synthesis, allowing for mediation between the opposites, and the formulation of a "new" thesis--can be analytically useful.  Apparently that's one fundamental "mode" (using this almost in the musical sense) of our thought/percerption.

But they tend to be most useful for analyzing human cultural systems: the Greeks and logic/philosophy; Marx and economics/class; Levi-Strauss and mythology.

Thus, opposed dualities like light/dark, good/evil, up/down do not necessarily reflect Reality, except in a limited--and at times highly useful--reductionist sense.

Are there good or bad animals (ahem, other than, from within our own moral framework, us)--Carol Clouser's infamous zebras and hyenas come to mind as the *bzzz* "wrong" answer (scare quotes around wrong because it's caught up in another one of those useful but ultimately untrustworthy dualities)?

Good and bad rocks?  Rainstorms?  Good and bad galaxies?  Good and bad electrons?

Light and dark galaxies...?

To go cliche, but to tie this in at least a little bit with our "eastern" leit-motif, the "western" obsession with oppositions and dueling dualities is nicely trumped by the yin-yang symbol, where each on-first-glance "opposed" shape and color "tails" off into its "opposite," and then crops up again "inside" its "opposite."

Returning to Skeptic's example--and trying to harmonize his perplexity at its rejection with what I'm attempting to get at, and what I, ahem, "think" some of the rest of you are trying to *show* (definitely not "tell") him--I would suggest that, however seemingly logical and exhaustive his two (or three) opposites or alternatives (of amazing/miraculous "caused" existence vs. rejected uncaused oblivion, or of existence-oblivion-eternity...), there is really--outside of human logical imperatives--no evidence of any such a "thing" as "oblivion" (nothingness/never-ness, utter non-existence).

Well, lemme retract that.  I'll not "suggest" anything (which will only invite Lenny's "authority" twitch).

I'll simply ask, is there any "evidence" (observational basis in reality) forthis "logical" opposite to existence?  We--well, most of us not counting Carol Clouser--know that even a vacuum isn't "perfect," that it's a-foam and a-boil with creative potential.

An "empty set" may, again, be useful mathematically, but in the "real" world of forces, particles, people, and passions, does it "exist"?

Likewise, despite the gaps in our own consciousness (and I'll add pre- and post-death---though these could as well be treated as non-real, non-evidenced states, like "oblivion"--to the more obvious asleep, stoned, injured and faulty memory states), we know that Reality apparently soldiers on, even when "we" are not attending to it.

In short, however logical it might seem to construct an "oblivion," a never-was, to contrast with Reality and Existence, I'm asking Skeptic if we really have any warrant for positing such a non-state.  Can there be anything or anybody "home," hiding inside this cipher to which we have loaned the "reality" of the name or symbol of "oblivion," "non-existence," "nothingness"?

The world-universe-sensorium we inhabit simply seems to lack this perfectly empty ultimate lack-ness.

Why presume, therefore, that there ever was such a non-thing from which our present something sprang, or was "caused" or "created"?

I agree that it is hard to conjure up any way--and for me, that would extent even to the hypothetical use of magic, omnipotence, or other such immaterial (but highly potent and "existent") forces--to escape such an oblivion.  My query though is: what basis do we have for conceiving or granting the "existence" of such an unevidenced and unimaginable non-state in the "first" place?

None of this is to suggest that our "current" universe was "always" "here."  Indeed, the evidence suggests to the contrary.  But whatever there was (or wasn't) "before" there was a here and now, if such before-time, outside-everything questions have any meaning, the last thing that we have any reason or evidence to propose would be no-thing/never.

Hmmm?

[/yoda]

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,17:27   

I think dualities--and the somewhat more progressive thesis-antithesis-synthesis, allowing for mediation between the opposites, and the formulation of a "new" thesis--can be analytically useful.

whee! philosophy.

indeed; one could argue that essentially all of science is based on a philosophical reductionism that boils down to simple dualities.

the concept of species is a good example.

pragmatically, the dualistic approach works quite well to set up the initial definitions, which then further allow for analysis based on context and scale.

again, the defnition of "species", followed by a greater understanding of how one species can often "overlap" another in much of the definition.

so dualities START the analysis, and a sliding scale most commonly quickly imposes itself when we look at reality in finer detail.

the mention of Yin-Yang shows us all that duality in construction and perception has been part of human analysis for probably as long as humans have thought about the world around them.

*shrug*  

it could be things like night/day cycles that made the entire process of dualistic thinking pragmatic to begin with.

just for fun, I can think of at least one dualistic scale that has at least one end of it in absolute terms:

absolute 0 K defines one end of a duality between hot/cold.

what then, would be the polar opposite?

--------------

-CC

Steviepinhead

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,17:46   

But Dr. Seuss would ask, what's on "beyond" absolute zero?

Colder than coldest?

Slower than stopped?

One can conceive of these things, but--as the old Fleetwood Mac song suggests--

Now you know it's a meaningless question

To ask if those stories are right

'Cause what matters most

Is the feeling you get

When you're hypnotized...

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,17:49   

what's on "beyond" absolute zero?

you'd have to redefine the word:  absolute

...before you can ask that question.

--------------

-CC

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,17:56   

All that stuff is nice and illustrates the point that assuming oblivion is the opposite of existence is a construct. Reality is a tough thing to grok. There is indeed a third alternative.

But it doesn't present itself as a third pole. Kelvin indeed. A construct of temperature, reduced to molecular motion and a part of the information that leads to the measurement of calories or joules or whatever. But it doesn't even try to go the next step and define energy. The ability to do work is a little vague philosophically. Matter too, for that matter. Having mass tells you very little about what something is.

Science is a methodology for reducing our constructs as far as possible and making a clean break where the constructs begin. Is that Goedel maybe?

Which is why accepting a religion that has been defined by man is intellectually dishonest. You know it can be reduced but you are afraid to go there.

Ha! I am the maker of mud. All tremble before me!

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,17:57   

Quote (Mike PSS @ Jan. 10 2007,09:34)
You contradict yourself immediately by attributing "The Cause" to (what I think is) our creation.  This is your authority statement.  Yes, our creation "happened" but so did everything else.
What is the reason you attribute "The Cause" as an over-arching event?

Indeed.

What happens if the "Cause" and the "Effect" are, themselves, simply different aspects of the same thing?

How the #### can there even BE any "creator" WITHOUT a "creation"?  The "creation is what MAKES a "creator" a "creator".

You simply can't have one without the other.  Just as you can't have "up" without "down", or "left" without "right", or "good" without "evil".

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,18:00   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Jan. 10 2007,16:02)

"Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

--Abraham Lincoln

:)

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,18:03   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Jan. 10 2007,17:27)
whee! philosophy.

"Philosophy and the study of the actual world have the same relationship to one another as masturbation and sexual intercourse."

--Karl Marx

;)

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,18:07   

Quote (Steviepinhead @ Jan. 10 2007,17:12)
the somewhat more progressive thesis-antithesis-synthesis, allowing for mediation between the opposites, and the formulation of a "new" thesis--can be analytically useful.

Ooooh, a  *Hegelian*  . . .

We all know where THAT led, don't we . . . . . . ?

(big fat evil grin)

--------------

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,18:09   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Jan. 10 2007,18:03)
Quote (Ichthyic @ Jan. 10 2007,17:27)
whee! philosophy.

"Philosophy and the study of the actual world have the same relationship to one another as masturbation and sexual intercourse."

--Karl Marx

;)

er, which is exactly why we're posting here, far as I can figure.

no worries from my end.

Sex is stimulating, self administered or no.

--------------

-CC

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,19:06   

I've actually worked a little this week, so I have not been keeping up with the thread.  I will catch up over the next day or so.

In the mean time:

Are you just a figment of my mind
Constructed to give me absolutes and absolution
When I heard you speak was I talking to my self
When you answered prayer was it just dumb luck

Are my prayers just prophylactic phylacteries
Hedging my bets and covering my ass
Filed away like stacks of heavenly confetti
Waiting for the triumphant parade that never comes

Are you able to be measured like atoms on a pin
Are you purely natural living in another dimension
Curled to the tightest circle and as long as infinity
Planck small yet beyond my understanding

When a star exploded in the infinite past
Throwing its dust throughout the ether
Is that the moment my life was determined
All my prayers answered my faith created

Were my prophetic words just lucky guesses
Made without conscious thought from me
Did I just need an authority to give me reason
For poor self esteem, guilt and shame

But how many times can I win the lottery
Before somebody knows I cheated
Is there a point where evidence convicts
And once convicted might I find freedom

How can I ignore the record of my life
I didn’t control the events I was witness to
You are elusive—I know you better than most
But I really don’t know you at all

Another poem from Soylent Green - ItsPeopleDammit™

Edit:  Before you think this is a slightly veiled plea for attention let me correct you--this is an OBVIOUS plea for attention.

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 10 2007,22:25   

Quote (Steviepinhead @ Jan. 10 2007,17:12)
I'll simply ask, is there any "evidence" (observational basis in reality) forthis "logical" opposite to existence?  We--well, most of us not counting Carol Clouser--know that even a vacuum isn't "perfect," that it's a-foam and a-boil with creative potential.

I have absolutely no evidence of oblivion prior to existence nor can I even conceive of what oblivion actually is or means.  I don't even know if oblivion is a possibility but I do know that existence both is a possibility and Is or has never been a possibility as has always Been.  Here, I'm not referring to the universe but to Existence, all universes, all time, all space, etc.

So, no, you're right, I have no reason to assume a state of oblivion except that I have to set up an initial assumption in order to analyze the current reality and the easist way to do this is by comparison.  If not it becomes impossible to evaluate the question at the heart of all this:

Why are we?

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2007,02:59   

Quote (skeptic @ Jan. 10 2007,22:25)
I have absolutely no evidence of oblivion prior to existence nor can I even conceive of what oblivion actually is or means.  I don't even know if oblivion is a possibility but I do know that existence both is a possibility and Is or has never been a possibility as has always Been.  Here, I'm not referring to the universe but to Existence, all universes, all time, all space, etc.

So, no, you're right, I have no reason to assume a state of oblivion except that I have to set up an initial assumption in order to analyze the current reality and the easist way to do this is by comparison.  If not it becomes impossible to evaluate the question at the heart of all this:

Why are we?

This was a very long detour to get to what you exactly didn't say.
Quote (scary @ -,-)
In the US a brand of evangelical Christianity is the norm.  As such there is a ton of popular media directed toward Christians.  On a regular basis this media puts out comforting words to sincere Christians saying things like:  “You know the things you’ve been hearing about evolution?  Well it turns out real scientists aren’t even sure about it.  Plus it can be mathematically proven that we were designed.”

Most Christians—even educated ones—are ignorant of the real biological sciences so this type of thing is easy to accept.  In addition they are often taught a false dichotomy of “if evolution is true there is no God.”

But in some cases (like mine) people decide to look just a little deeper.

When they do they see the lies being propagated in the name of Christ, it does provide a challenge to one’s Christian faith.  Those without a basis for their faith outside of literalism and popularism truly struggle.

I’m hoping a thread like this one will genuinely discuss how to resolve some of those issues (and acknowledge some are never going to be resolved.)...

This is pretty much my stance.  One of the things I hated about ministry was being the morals instructor/enforcer.  The way evangelicals practice their faith today the minister is trying to impose Christian behavior from the outside.

I always had the opinion if you are a Christian you ought to know not to treat your wife like crap—you shouldn’t need someone to tell you.

Now that I am out of ministry I enjoy being responsible for my own faith and not everyone else’s.  I’m OK with God whether someone else agrees, disagrees or doesn’t even think about me.

And power—even in small congregations—is a real issue in Christianity.  I’ve often said if you’re a nobody in life you can always find fame as a pastor.  It’s the easiest gig to get.

If God exists—and I believe He does (note the caps)—then His existence is consistent with accurate science, at least in my view.  I don’t believe He set up a lying universe.

I don’t expect to ever understand all of God nor of science, but denial is not an alternative.  I am willing to say I have my own reasons for maintaining my faith, but I do try to integrate scientific reality with it as well.  Denial is intellectually lazy and cannot, by its very nature, lead to deeper “faith.”

I think the title of this thread is somewhat unfortunate--I don't think we need to debate whether there are intellectually honest anybodys, of course there are.  If we approach this thread from the idea of "we don't know everything about our faith but are trying to see how we can combine faith and science into a consistent whole"  I believe it will be helpful to everyone.

Sure maybe Louis, Lenny et al will put in some jibes, but then again, maybe sometimes we deserve them.

You have to admit framing the debate as "are there intellectually honest Christians" maybe wasn't the smartest way to label this thread.

Dang, where did you come from? I just reread this thread because of the sidetrack of absolutes, and I realized, "This guy is really smart". And this is the religion thread that really is what this forum is trying to grapple with. Yeah, it's nominally about science but it's really a response to the ID thingy that got so roundly trounced at Dover. We are asking ourselves (at least I am), "How did we get here?" Not cosmically but "how did the wingnuts get such a voice? What's up with this darn religion thing?"

And it boils down to reconciling religion and evidence. Just like you said. It is an honest question.

You replied to me with:
I respectfully disagree.  Or at least I think I do.  I am not a literalist, but I do believe the Bible to be reliable.  I am not immune to considering positions that seem to be the opposite of what I believe the Bible is saying.  If you are saying literalists cannot be intellectually honest, then I agree.  If you’re saying one must accept the Bible as total mythology to be intellectually honest, then I disagree...

Second, I have a pretty good grasp on my own belief system which I am constantly refining in the light of new experiences/information/study.  I don’t really depend on others to define my belief system.
Well said. I respectfully disagree with you. I was not raised with religion. But I was raised in the way out woods in the mountains of the north cascades and I definitely knew god. My god. Cosmos,  part of which is Earth. I don't think you can select christianity out of the milieu and say you did it independently based on some intrinsic value. I read most of the holy books as a kid and, to me, they are all pretty much the same. If you think reasons exist that elevate one specific mythology over another, I would want some evidence.

Louis said:
Actually Russell makes an excellent point, one I should have made myself. {smacks self in head}

What do you mean by "god" and "religion"? I would argue that science has shown that many definitions of "god" have no basis in fact. Note the word MANY not the word ALL. It is possible to imagine a god concept which is consistent with what we currently know about science for example.

"Religion" based on faith or revelation alone falls into that category of epistemological methods that are anathema to reason and thus science. That conflict exists. Does this mean it's impossible to be "religious" and a "scientist"? No it doesn't because as Russell correctly notes it really depends on what you mean by "religion".
Excellent point. If god is simply the word (or symbol) for "that which is". Then xianity is just a face in the crowd.

Louis then said:
If you are claiming that your god is something we don't/can't fully understand then sorry chum but that's really not cutting any mustard. It's the argument from personal incredulity and the argument from mystery added together. It proves, demonstrates and illuminates nothing. Saying something is mysterious or unkowable by fiat is the end of inquiry not the beginning. Perhaps your not saying that, perhaps you mean something different by "denial", enquiring minds want to know!

Wasn't there some bod who mentioned the two books of revelation, one of scripture one of nature? Where is your god to be found in the book of nature? Appeals to mystery, personal (in)credulity and the like don't work for all the standard reasons.

Yours in hopeful anticipation of a genuinely excellent discussion with a genuinely rational and intelligent human being ;-) *

Which has turned out mostly to be.
Scary:
My understanding of God is based on the traditional Judeo/Christian deity as pictured in the Old and New Testaments.  While there will always be some debate on every specific characteristic of this god, the broad strokes a pretty well agreed upon:  Omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence.

So why the xian god? why not forget the name and enjoy the connection?

Skeptic said:
The idea that science can disprove the existence of God is in question.  I use the big "G" in an effort to avoid the purple elephant or Effiel Tower lunatic analogies and just try to focus upon God as a supernatural concept.

Science is forever framed within human perspective and also confined by it.  We attempt to describe the universe in terms we can understand based upon reason and logic universal to all.  Anything beyond these limits is untestable by science, reason or logic.  This is not a statement about actual existence just the ability to evaluate existence in these terms.

Faith is not based upon reason in the same sense.  With a primary basis in introspection, meditation and revelation, a person makes a reasoned choice to believe based upon the impact and strength of these sources of knowledge.  Physical measurements are not taken and evidence of this nature is not gathered.  All knowledge gained is ultimately of a personal nature and not directly transferable to another.  It must be experienced.  As the saying goes, "Some things have to be believed to be seen."

It is for these reasons and distinctions that I have no conflict between science and religion.  They don't speak the same language, they don't live in the same town and they don't hang out together.  In short, they have nothing in common and do not belong in an opposing conversation (my opinion).  That is also why, I feel, that the statement as to the existence of God being assessed by science is foundationally wrong.  Science can not be used to evaluate God, to me, it's just that simple.
way back a bit.
But specific claims can be measured. That's what science does. So the Ark, Jesus's ressurrection, burning bushes etc. get nailed. Since the religion based it's validity on these events with the very tangible supernatural, logic dictates that the religion is like all the others. Not unique.

Lenny replied:
That, BTW, is why the evangelical-atheist campaign to stamp out religion is, besides being utterly futile and hopeless, simply shooting at the wrong target.  "Religion" is not the problem.  "Fundamentalism" is.  Some people, apparently, can't tell the difference.
which is not altogether consistent with the idea of rational and religious coexisting.

Reciprocating Bill:
A corollary question:  “Are there facets of the experience of human beings in the natural world that are inexpressible by means of human language – yet may be grasped (although not expressed propositionally) in other ways?”

I am an atheist, and certainly a devotee of scientific ways of knowing, yet I hold that the answer to both questions is “yes.” Human beings have the potential for inarticulate ways of knowing that can disclose experiences and, at times, comprehension, that cannot be expressed propositionally.  Certainly these are the concerns of many of the arts; by the same token, elements of these experiences are the concern of some spiritual practices, which in some instances can guide persons to these otherwise inexpressible experiences.  

Moreover, there are forms of such practice that are compatible with, and indeed enhanced by, scientific ways of knowing (and that are themselves likely to be better understood by means of, for example, cognitive science). One can engage in such practices, harvest for oneself the experiences therein, and even legitimately characterize them as, in a sense, “comprehension,” and remain intellectually and scientifically honest.

But yet again, why single out one religion? I very deeply hold to the principle that science maps surfaces and that meditation and "spirit" is another dimention not accesible to science. But also not knowable in concrete terms. Hmm. Should I question that one?

Scary:  
I don’t believe my understanding of God is any more reasonable or authoritative than any of the other major religions.  I do believe the major religions have a little more authority than the FSM because the ancient religions have been somewhat vindicated in their principles by hundreds of years of followers who found value and truth through their teachings.  That doesn’t make them right, it just gives them a little more validity than a random religious thought.

That seems like a fallacy.

Scary again:[quote}Agreed, but I wonder if there aren’t some predictions we can make if the Bible is reliable.  For example:  the Bible pictures Christians (as a group) as having the regular intervention of God in their lives.  If you find a group of people who are practicing Christians, there ought to be a track record of “beyond a reasonable doubt coincidental” answers to prayer.

I understand I am not giving you a quantifiable scientific prediction, but if one looks at it much like a jury looking at evidence in a case, possibly there is enough evidence to at least propose that faith is reasonable.[/quote]

Once again, why single out one religion?

Then we get to this one which is what the current discussion seems to be working on:
Skeptic:
Faith to me has always been an easy question.  I've never been one to wrestle with it only with my inability to adhere to courses of action that I know that I should.  The reason for this is that I've reduced it all back to a single question: existence vs. oblivion.  

Since we have two choices it would seem that there would be a fifty-fifty chance of either result.  So why do we have existence over oblivion?  To do this we (or me as the case would be) would have to be able to examine each and compare and contrast to understand why one result is favored.  This we can not do.  We exist within a material world and have absolutely no understanding or experience of non-existence.  This last is not just me talking; no one can comprehend oblivion and there's been a lot of very smart people throughout history that have come to the same conclusion.

So all we know is existence and that begs the question as to what caused it.  Whatever caused it stands outside of the material universe in terms of essence or composition.  It is prior to the natural laws that describe the material universe and is therefore, by definition, super-natural.  Once you get to this point it all becomes semantics.  Whether it the First Cause or the Cosmic Spirit or God or whatever becomes a personal choice.  I strongly disagree with BWE because at the root nearly any faith can be intellectually honest if it is sincere.
No one can comprehend oblivion? Begs the question? This is the exact discovery of the eastern traditions. You can comprehend it. There is not quite the question you begin with. And, also, a root doth not a burning bush make.

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2007,05:35   

2 things. 1) I owe this thread a post. When I get time to jot out something more considered than humour I'll do it.

2)

Did NOT! You started it! MUUUUUUUUUUM!!!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2007,07:16   

Quote (skeptic @ Jan. 10 2007,22:25)
Why are we?

Only *you* can answer that question, Skeptic. And you can only answer it for yourself.  No one else can answer it for you, and you can't answer it for anyone else.  (shrug)

The problem, once again, is that you are still insisting upon pushing a window between yourself and everything around you.  You still filter everything through all of the "authoritative" mental frameworks, constructs and categories that you have imposed upon the world (and they come from you -- no matter where you learned them from, *you* are the one who puts them there, and you are the only one who can take them away).

You can read books from now until Jesus comes back, and it won't help you at all -- you'll still just be viewing everything through the very same framework.  What you need to do is *remove* that framework.

Here's an experiment for you to try, Skeptic -- it *may* help teach you how to do that (if indeed you are ready for that), and it will take less time than reading a single book will . . . .

Find a nice quiet spot, and make yourself comfortable.  Now, count silently to yourself, to nine.  Then do it again.  Keep doing that.

Sounds simple, huh?  But, as you will see, it is not.  Your mind will continually intrude with all sorts of thoughts, and you will invariably find yourself not paying attention to what you are doing, and  counting "eleven . . . twelve . . . thirteen".  Every time that happens, stop, remind yourself what you are doing, then do it again.

What you are learning to do by this exercise is to quiet your mind, to discipline it, and to focus it where you want to focus it.  

It may take a long time.  With practice, though, you will learn how to quiet your mind, and how to prevent your mind from interfering with your experiences by filtering everything through your mental framework.  At that point, you will begin to enter a nonverbal state of awareness in which descriptive words are not only unnecessary, but actually get in the way.  You will learn to look at things and experience them directly, without any need to intellectually categorize or pigeonhole them.  The Chinese refer to this state as "tathata", or "of itself so".  For the first time, you will be experiencing reality directly, instead of mediating it through all your mental filters.  It will be a jarring experience for you.

Once you are regularly able to produce this nonverbal state of awareness (and you will know it once you've experienced it), then the lesson turns into extending this period of awareness.  With practice, you will be able to enter this state at will, for as long as you like.  While in it, you will be able to look at your surroundings and experience them directly -- a far far more vivid experience than any description can be.  (Being in Yellowstone is far far more exciting than any photograph of Yellowstone ever could be.)

With more practice, you will be able to see directly, for yourself, that everything around you forms a vast interconnecting web, where everything both causes and is caused by everything else.

Some people refer to that vast interconnecting web of reality as "Tao".  Some refer to it as "Brahma".  

You, I expect, would refer to it as "God".

Whaddya say, Skeptic?  Are you ready to throw away your descriptive Book and experience "God" for yourself . . . ?

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2007,07:22   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Jan. 11 2007,07:16)
With more practice, you will be able to see directly, for yourself, that everything around you forms a vast interconnecting web, where everything both causes and is caused by everything else.

Some people refer to that vast interconnecting web of reality as "Tao".  Some refer to it as "Brahma".  

You, I expect, would refer to it as "God".

Some, by the way, would refer to it as "Nature".  Or perhaps "The Universe".

The method offered here is just as valid for atheists or agnostics as it is for anyone else.  It neither asserts nor does it require anything "supernatural" -- nor does it deny anything "supernatural".  It simply doesn't make any difference.

--------------

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2007,07:52   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Jan. 11 2007,07:16)
Here's an experiment for you to try, Skeptic -- it *may* help teach you how to do that (if indeed you are ready for that), and it will take less time than reading a single book will . . . .

Find a nice quiet spot, and make yourself comfortable.  Now, count silently to yourself, to nine.  Then do it again.  Keep doing that.

Sounds simple, huh?  But, as you will see, it is not.  Your mind will continually intrude with all sorts of thoughts, and you will invariably find yourself not paying attention to what you are doing, and  counting "eleven . . . twelve . . . thirteen".  Every time that happens, stop, remind yourself what you are doing, then do it again.

What you are learning to do by this exercise is to quiet your mind, to discipline it, and to focus it where you want to focus it.  

It may take a long time.  With practice, though, you will learn how to quiet your mind, and how to prevent your mind from interfering with your experiences by filtering everything through your mental framework.  At that point, you will begin to enter a nonverbal state of awareness in which descriptive words are not only unnecessary, but actually get in the way.  You will learn to look at things and experience them directly, without any need to intellectually categorize or pigeonhole them.  The Chinese refer to this state as "tathata", or "of itself so".  For the first time, you will be experiencing reality directly, instead of mediating it through all your mental filters.  It will be a jarring experience for you...

Assuming this is not a wind-up.

I take it you have experienced this state of mind. Sounds fascinating and I am inclined to have a go. How much time (wild assed guess is acceptable here) should I devote for the first atempt. How long before any reasonable chance of experiencing this?

335 replies since Jan. 03 2007,21:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (12) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]