RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >   
  Topic: Intellectually Honest Christians?, Is it possible?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 06 2007,16:45   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Jan. 06 2007,09:25)
Here I wonder if, having aptly jettisoned parents floating in the sky, you are not over-valorizing freedom, agency, and the personal self.

Not at all.  To blithely assume that one has complete and total control of one's self is an illusion, just as is assuming that the world around you controls you.

Trying to make your own path while oblivious of what's around you, is liking driving a car without knowing the traffic laws.  Sooner or later, you'll run into something.

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 06 2007,16:58   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Jan. 06 2007,09:25)
After all, another tradition of the East, particularly Buddhist and Zen Buddhist traditions, is to underscore the illusory nature of the personal ego, and to attempt to experience (however briefly) its dissolution.

Indeed.  More than that, one must also then give up the traditions that got you there, since they too are just fingers pointing at the moon, not the moon itself.  The whole point of the Way, is to *have* no Way.   :)

I should point out here that I'm not making any attempt to "preach" Taoism or Buddhism (since neither Taoism nor Buddhism actually  *teaches*  anything, it would be rather a difficult task to preach it to anyone.)  But they are the traditions with which I am most familiar, so it's easiest for me to use them as illustrations.  The same principles, though, apply to ANY non-authoritarian religion, including most Christians, Jews, Muslims, or whatever.

As I said before, the dividing line isn't really between "theists" and "atheists" --- it's between "those who accept external religious authority"  and "those who don't".

"Those who do" will simply never understand "those who don't", unless they look at it from outside their own authoritarian framework.

And, as we can see, that's not very easy for them to do.  Indeed, most never do.

--------------

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 06 2007,17:09   

Lenny:
I'll thank you to find a different stand-in for Skeptic's opposite number, because:

where you say:  
[to Russell] the question "is there something outside the universe" has enormous import
I say: the question is meaningless.

where you say:  
you both THINK it answers the question) "who has religious authority, and who doesn't?"
I say: (1) the answer to a meaningless question can't answer anything, and (2) the only way anybody gets "religious authority" over anybody else is by the faithfuls' granting of it.

where you say:  
the Biblically-centered version of authority that both you and Russell *do* accept
I say: What the he11 are you smoking? And where can I get some?

where you say:  
Any view in which that answer is simply irrelevant, though, is a crashing source of incredible befuddlement to both of you
I say: where the he11 did you get that idea?

I hate to say it, but other than afdave, I can't recall anyone else so unabashed about telling me, or worse, everyone else, what I think, nor so unabashed about declaring their spiritual loftiness: he with his childlike superstition, you with your (shrug) cosmic transcendence of all the silly questions smaller minds waste time on. Even if they actually don't.

Again, I have no desire to derail this thread. Which is why I suggested you cool it in the first place. And I'm perfectly happy to leave it at that. Just have the humility to recognize that there is maybe at least a formal possibility that you don't know what I think.

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 06 2007,17:09   

Quote (skeptic @ Jan. 06 2007,08:41)
The next question, the one I think Lenny is getting at, is whether or not there is any interaction between the two spheres.

Nope, that is not anywhere near the question I am getting at.  Not even remotely close.

You are still stuck firmly in your authoritarian framework.  And I simply have no way whatsoever to get you out of it.

All I can do to respond to this is point out that I simply don't see any "two spheres".   I see no division between them.  Everything I see, is all the same "sphere".

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 06 2007,17:13   

Re "There either is or there isn't something outside of the universe. "

I wish people would state which definition of "universe" they're using when making statements like that one.

The literal meaning of "universe" is simply all that is, in which case anything that is, is part of it, by definition, including any Gods.

But most sentences about "universe" seem to use it to mean "the space (or space-time) in which we live", but quite often appear to confuse that meaning with the previously mentioned literal meaning, which makes it hard for me to figure out what the person is saying.

Henry

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 06 2007,17:20   

Quote (Russell @ Jan. 06 2007,17:09)
I'll thank you to find a different stand-in for Skeptic's opposite number

But you make such a GOOD one.   After all, you have no more idea what I'm talking about than HE does.

;)

But OK, from now on, Skeptic's Opposite Number shall be called . . . .  well . . . . Skeptic's Opposite Number.

But then, there really is nothing further to say, anyway.  Until Skeptic and His Opposite Number are able to leave the "external authority" framework that they both accept and argue within, nothing I say will make any sense (literally) to either of them.

As for Scary, my most sincere advice to him would be:  stop looking for external sources and external validation, and just look inside.  Everything you're looking for, is there.

;)

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 06 2007,17:38   

Quote (Henry J @ Jan. 06 2007,17:13)
The literal meaning of "universe" is simply all that is, in which case anything that is, is part of it, by definition, including any Gods.

That is something the fundies DEFINITELY do not want to hear . . .

;)

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 06 2007,17:42   

But most sentences about "universe" seem to use it to mean "the space (or space-time) in which we live"

Which, of course, leaves out the "multiverse", or other spacetimes which are not part of ours.

;)

--------------

Malum Regnat

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,03:17   

Quote (Henry J @ Jan. 06 2007,15:13)
Re "There either is or there isn't something outside of the universe. "

I wish people would state which definition of "universe" they're using when making statements like that one.

But most sentences about "universe" seem to use it to mean "the space (or space-time) in which we live", but quite often appear to confuse that meaning with the previously mentioned literal meaning, which makes it hard for me to figure out what the person is saying.

Henry

I try to avoid that confusion by using the term 'this universe' when I'm speaking of "the space (or space-time) in which we live".

--------------
This universe as explained by the 'other' Hawkins

Blah Hi-tech blah blah blah blah ... DESIGNED.
Blah Hi-tech blah blah blah blah ... NOT DESIGNED.

;-}>

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,10:57   

Third, I don’t know that the Bible teaches the soul can survive without the body.  The picture we are presented with of the resurrected Jesus in the Bible is of a very literal, physical body.  He ate, drank, walked and talked with others.  He made it a point to demonstrate he was physical rather than a ghost.

Later Paul, some 30 years after Jesus’ death, had to reassure Christians that they would have a new body, just as Jesus had a new body, even if they had died.
Now, I have a question. Well, two questions.
First of all, do you allow for the possibility that the bible can be wrong in any particular? Or would you say that wherever it appears to be wrong, that must mean it's being incorrectly read? (e.g. something meant metaphorically being read literally).
Then second, if one rejects the notion that one's "soul"* survives the death of one's body, and if one rejects the idea of transmigrating to a new body, can one - by your understanding of the term - be a "Christian"*?

*I guess a simple yes/no answer to this question is possible. However, it may require an explicit definition of the terms "soul" and "Christian".

[Russell:] I could see how Jesus's helpful hints for harmonious well-being (individually and socially) were all points well taken. But it was continuously emphasized to me that this was all integrally connected with a whole suite of supernatural wonders (like Jesus had no human father, could go head-to-head with The Amazing Kreskin with magic tricks, not only revivified but became immortal, that I myself and other true believers would also be immortal...)  None of that ever seemed credible, to the extent that I could even figure out what they even meant by it.
[Rev. Dr.:] As noted, there are indeed Christian churches who neither assert nor accept **any** of these things.
In a quick scan of previous posts, I don't see a list of such churches. I imagine the Unitarian/Universalists would qualify, and maybe they - or a subset of them - consider themselves "Christian". But I was under the impression that nearly all people who call themselves Christian do subscribe to some, if not most, of these beliefs - the whole "afterlife" thing being central.

--------------

Ved

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,11:29   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Jan. 06 2007,18:42)

But most sentences about "universe" seem to use it to mean "the space (or space-time) in which we live"

Which, of course, leaves out the "multiverse", or other spacetimes which are not part of ours.

;)

Not the multiverse???!!!

The Multiverse ... The Multiverse ... The Multiverse!

Anyone who would make it the subject of a song, is cool.

Voivod rules!

curious

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,11:38   

Quote (Russell @ Jan. 07 2007,10:57)
*I guess a simple yes/no answer to this question is possible. However, it may require an explicit definition of the terms "soul" and "Christian".

Given the word's long history, I doubt you'll be able to nail down an explicit definition.

Case in point: I have heard from one of my philosophy teachers (alas, he knows Greek, both ancient and some Septuagint, and I do not), that the Greek word for "soul" 'psuche' is only used in the gospels and no where else in the bible. However, this is the same word, used quite a bit before, by Plato (esp. in the Phaedo and Republic) in his theory of forms/soul. This helps crystallize the notion that soul and body is more of a fabrication from Plato, rather than matthew, mark, luke or john.

*edit: I suppose even Christianity is just a footnote to Plato :) *

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,11:42   

Quote (Russell @ Jan. 07 2007,11:57)
Now, I have a question. Well, two questions.
First of all, do you allow for the possibility that the bible can be wrong in any particular? Or would you say that wherever it appears to be wrong, that must mean it's being incorrectly read? (e.g. something meant metaphorically being read literally).

Not only can the Bible be factually wrong, it’s demonstrably factually wrong—and in ways that are tough to attribute to scribal or translation errors.  This is by far not the bulk of the Bible, but if one believes the autographs were inerrant the least contradiction with fact would negate the whole.

Since I don’t accept the “God dictated” version of belief I am able to admit problematic passages but still accept the whole as reliable.

Then second, if one rejects the notion that one's "soul"* survives the death of one's body, and if one rejects the idea of transmigrating to a new body, can one - by your understanding of the term - be a "Christian"*?

There are various definitions (in my mind) of “Christian.”  I don’t define it for anyone else, and I’m not in a place to make a judgment on whether someone fits that description unless I know what definition they claim to subscribe to.  Here are the definitions as I see it:

Philosophical Christians:  Those who agree with living the philosophy represented by Jesus and the Christian tradition.  They may or may not accept Jesus’ divinity, resurrection or any afterlife.   They still consider themselves followers of Christ.

Naturalist Christians:  They not only subscribe to the philosophy of Christianity, but they believe in Jesus’ death as atonement for sin.  They don’t, however, necessarily subscribe to any of the seemingly supernatural accounts found in the Bible.  They may or may not believe in some kind of afterlife.

Supernaturalist Christians:  They believe in at least some if not all of the miracles presented in the Bible.  They consider the death, burial and bodily resurrection of Christ as true and the basis of their faith.  They believe in an afterlife.  Most would consider Christianity as the “one true religion.”  Most would accept the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and personal salvation.

Literalist Christians:  Believe the autographs were god dictated.  Literalism is the one true faith and the Bible contains non-negotiable rules for living and salvation.  This includes believing in the death burial and resurrection of Jesus, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, personal salvation, an unseen world of angels and demons and God’s direct, daily interaction with man.

I think what you describe would be a person who fits into the first group.  Under these definitions I would fit into the third group, though I wish I could come up with a better name.

The meaning of soul has been debated for centuries.  I don’t think I would do any better at defining it, though in my thinking I typically use the word to mean “consciousness” or “our true self”—the thing that makes us more than bags of meat.

[Russell:] I could see how Jesus's helpful hints for harmonious well-being (individually and socially) were all points well taken. But it was continuously emphasized to me that this was all integrally connected with a whole suite of supernatural wonders (like Jesus had no human father, could go head-to-head with The Amazing Kreskin with magic tricks, not only revivified but became immortal, that I myself and other true believers would also be immortal...)  None of that ever seemed credible, to the extent that I could even figure out what they even meant by it.    
[Rev. Dr.:] As noted, there are indeed Christian churches who neither assert nor accept **any** of these things.
In a quick scan of previous posts, I don't see a list of such churches. I imagine the Unitarian/Universalists would qualify, and maybe they - or a subset of them - consider themselves "Christian". But I was under the impression that nearly all people who call themselves Christian do subscribe to some, if not most, of these beliefs - the whole "afterlife" thing being central.

I would certainly agree that MOST people who consider themselves Christian—and certainly those who attend an organized church—would consider most of these non-negotiable.

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,13:57   

Just back from visiting familly and a tad drunk. I have not read many posts on here so please forgive my ignorance. I will try to read them all tomorrow.

But...I have missed posting here and would like to rejoin.

I considered myself to be a Christian but now I am not so sure. It was pointed out to me here, PT and other blogs that I am not. After some consideration, maybe they are right.

I do like some Christian teachings and yet there are things that are taught as "Christian" that I deplore. In the end I guess that I do not know anything.

The rantings of some evangelistic atheists disturbs me. I doubt that anything good will come from a "war on religion".

But in the same vein, certainty about religious points of view from the religious also worries me. I guess I dislike fundamentalism on any side. I doubt it is possible to know for certain if God is true or a complete lie. If God is true, I doubt we can possibly know God's plan in fine detail.

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,14:54   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ Jan. 07 2007,14:57)
Just back from visiting familly and a tad drunk.

Most of us find our families more tolerable slightly inebriated.
I considered myself to be a Christian but now I am not so sure. It was pointed out to me here, PT and other blogs that I am not. After some consideration, maybe they are right.

Did you fit into any of the categories I noted above?  In the broadest sense “Christian” simply means someone who follows the example and/or teachings of Christ.

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,16:40   

Quote (ScaryFacts @ Jan. 06 2007,06:07)
Quote (BWE @ Jan. 05 2007,18:27)
There is not only no evidence for any religion but there is contraverting evidence.

Good post, BWE.

I (obviously) disagree that we have no evidence.  While I know I am going out on a limb here, there is no doubt in my mind that I personally have experienced “coincidences” so often as to be beyond a reasonable doubt.  (I still have to start writing those things up, and I think you may not agree once I do, but I do believe most rational people will at least see why I  say it is evidence.)

Is it hearsay?   Technically, I suppose, but that does not negate its value.

By the way…you wrote up a really cool view of life and death for you back a month or two ago.  I couldn’t remember what thread it was on, but if you know where it is, it might be good to post it again on this thread.  I felt it was well written and clearly presented your beliefs.

Quote (BWE @ Oct. 19 2006,13:12)

Quote (afdave @ Oct. 19 2006,12:31)
So tell me, O wise BWE ... what original thought have YOU had regarding Origins?  Have I been mistaken all this time?  I thought Darwin was the start of all these modern Evolution ideas and I thought it Tim Berners-Lee who invented the web at CERN.  Silly me!  All this time I should have known ... It was BWE and Al Gore!

Well,
So glad you asked. Let me start at the beginning. I was born a poor black child... Um. Wrong one. Let's see. Oh yes, here it is. Ok. I grew up without the yoke of religion holding me down... No, that's not it either.

I was fettered with the constraints of having a botany professor for a mother and a history professor for a father so my outlook was necessarily skewed by my upbringing. I did however manage to read a bit and then I went to college and learned to understand a few things there. I'm not sure that I have many original thoughts regarding origins in terms of evidence. I have done some science, read the Bible(s) several times as well as many other creation myths, and I also have some knowledge of some other civilizations and histories, but I am not sure that anyone has ever put forth any conclusive evidence of the origin of the first life.

I can see the similarities between creation myths and can understand that they are attempts to explain what the authors did not understand. I can also catalog the phenomena that the authors did not understand and the supernatural explanations given for these phenomena. A partial list:* gravity –god, * geologic processes –god, * relativity or the absence of a reference point –god, * light speed and the implications of telescopes –god, * climate –god, * dna –god, * the Americas –ummm, * the size and age of the cosmos –god.

These phenomena are now partially understood by applying the scientific method to them. What's more, the science is accessible to anyone willing and able to repeat the experiments. If you were to repeat the experiments, you should get the same results. And, strangely, none of them end up needing anything specific from god. As Carl Sagan said "We grow up in isolation. We need to teach ourselves the cosmos."

I have repeated some experiments and sometimes achieved different results. In college, this was extraordinarily frustrating because my professors made me figure out why. I had to do things over and over and over and over until I could isolate the variables and produce repeatable results. By the time I was trying to figure out how a certain kind of starfish could do one thing sometimes and another thing another time in what looked like identical circumstances, I had enough background in methodology and sometimes just plain information that I wasn't making assumptions like "Maybe it's doing this because it is only 6000 years old." or "Maybe Earth is only 6000 years old." Natural selection was a central tenet to my research. If it weren't, I would not have been able to do any of it. And, what's more, if it wasn't accurate at least to a large degree, then I would have not been able to reproduce results at all.

The funny thing is that I never needed to consider the origin of the first life. As far as I am aware, no biologist does. All I needed to understand was the mechanism for adaptation. But when I consider religious explanations for origins, I get a very different picture. Have you read Gilgamesh? Do you know whether it predates the Torah?

Religious explanations all do something peculiar. They elevate “Man” to an honorary title. They separate us from the rest of the creatures as somehow different. “Tool Using”, “Speech”, ability to “Reason” or “Love”, ability to “Farm””. It turns out that we have no such monopoly. Our presumed distinctions turn out to be just that-presumed. Our distinction turns out to be the ability to plan . We have the ability to employ past observation in the present for a future intent. Not simply storing nuts for the winter but setting aside a weapon near a tree where I will eventually provoke an argument with my rival- that kind of intent. Man employs the dimension of time . We can sense the present as space to be aware of time past and time to come. The employment of time as a dimension is what opened up all that we are today-including religion.

Although memory and planning certainly exist in other species besides man, man’s memory of his past can be evaluated, now for future ends such as whacking his rival with a club unexpectedly. There is the element of surprise, the element of planning the place and the element of being prepared. Different.

But using time as a dimension differs from using space. We do not occupy the dimension of time with our physical bodies.  We need to imagine it. We occupy the space with our minds. We make images of past events, use reason to evaluate them and try to construct images of future space. This talent feeds itself by including the ability to store information for [i]evaluation[\i] purposes. Leads to skins for clothes then houses then better materials then better objects from those materials then better materials and etc. Technology.

The downside is that we become aware that we will die. At first, it is terrifying. But, after consideration, we realize that we can see beyond death in our time dimension we occupy so we conclude that that part of us that can employ that dimension will not die. Then we further conclude that the same is true for our friends and loved ones and because we all share sort of the same world in that time dimension we will probably occupy it together when our bodies die. Voila!
Religion. Nothing wrong with the hypothesis, it is just hard to test. So all we have are guesses. And if the nature of those guesses force us to ignore evidence for how the world really works, we are all the poorer for it. Any religion which seeks the disproval of information had better use honest tactics in its effort or risk looking like you. And fundies of all religions.

But Dave, these aren’t my ideas. I am paraphrasing many. Most notably, Philip Wylie, Carl Sagan, Steven Gould, Fritjof Kapra, and Ovid. And what’s more, they are subject to revision in my mind as better evidence or ideas come along.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,18:39   

[SF:] I would fit into the third group
which you described thus:
Supernaturalist Christians:  They believe in at least some if not all of the miracles presented in the Bible.  They consider the death, burial and bodily resurrection of Christ as true and the basis of their faith.  They believe in an afterlife.  Most would consider Christianity as the “one true religion.”  Most would accept the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and personal salvation.
Now I promise I'm not making fun, or attempting to persuade or unpersuade anyone of anything, and that the following is asked purely out of curiosity, and in the spirit that it's more respectful to try to understand what others think than to be merely "tolerant" as in "who cares what loony things Joe Blow thinks as long as he leaves me out of it?".

This "afterlife": you say it probably requires a body, if I read correctly. A body has to exist somewhere in time and space, I think. So does that imply that "heaven" has a physical location?

--------------

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,19:38   

Quote (Russell @ Jan. 07 2007,19:39)
This "afterlife": you say it probably requires a body, if I read correctly. A body has to exist somewhere in time and space, I think. So does that imply that "heaven" has a physical location?

Based on the teachings of the New Testament I believe physical bodily resurrection is taught.   I would think this also necessitates a heaven which is a physical location.

But I’m not sure we understand enough yet about the multiverse to know the various plains of existence.  Maybe in order to understand the Bible we also have to study quantum physics.

Maybe someone well versed in QM can comment on what possibilities are out there consistent with nature.  It's possible I am spouting foolish talk.  I don't know.  When it comes to QM i am at the stage of unconcious incompetence--I don't know what I don't know.

Malum Regnat

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,20:33   

So tell me, O wise BWE ... what original thought have YOU had regarding Origins?  Have I been mistaken all this time?  I thought Darwin was the start of all these modern Evolution ideas and I thought it Tim Berners-Lee who invented the web at CERN.  Silly me!  All this time I should have known ... It was BWE and Al Gore!

Do not confuse the World Wide Web and the Internet.  The Internet started as a US Military research project and it was indeed Al Gore who, as a Senator, made sure the financing was available to grow the Arpanet into the Internet that now supplies the infrastructure for the World Wide Web.

--------------
This universe as explained by the 'other' Hawkins

Blah Hi-tech blah blah blah blah ... DESIGNED.
Blah Hi-tech blah blah blah blah ... NOT DESIGNED.

;-}>

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,21:38   

Quote (ScaryFacts @ Jan. 07 2007,11:42)
I would certainly agree that MOST people who consider themselves Christian—and certainly those who attend an organized church—would consider most of these non-negotiable

Then you need to meet more Christians.

;)

--------------

bystander

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,22:00   

Quote (ScaryFacts @ Jan. 08 2007,12:38)
Based on the teachings of the New Testament I believe physical bodily resurrection is taught.   I would think this also necessitates a heaven which is a physical location.

I went to a catholic school and we were taught that it was a physical body, that the soul doesn't contain your personality and my reading of the bible seems to agree with this  

Is this true for all demoninations? If so I would have thought that the John Edwards of the world would be blasted from the pulpits, or is it just a case of Christians (You even hear of pastors saying that someone is with God when they die) not knowing their religions.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2007,22:01   

Then you need to meet more Christians.
I would think that Scary has met quite a few Christians. You think Scary is wrong here about what most Christians believe?  Do you have some data to support the alternative view or are you sharing your personal experience?

--------------

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 08 2007,03:55   

Quote (ScaryFacts @ Jan. 07 2007,14:54)
Just back from visiting familly and a tad drunk.

Most of us find our families more tolerable slightly inebriated.

Did you fit into any of the categories I noted above?  In the broadest sense “Christian” simply means someone who follows the example and/or teachings of Christ.

I can't claim to follow the teachings of Christ as I have not elected to live in poverty. Nor do I tithe or atend church regularly (virtually never). Having said that, I do think what I consider to be the central message of the new testament (treat eachother well) is a good idea.

EDIT: I do not require to be inebriated to enjoy the company of family. I just like being inebriated. Almost everyone that I enjoy socialising with is what I would describe as a "happy" drunk.

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 08 2007,10:36   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Jan. 06 2007,18:20)
As for Scary, my most sincere advice to him would be:  stop looking for external sources and external validation, and just look inside.  Everything you're looking for, is there.

While I can be self-deceived, I don’t believe I am seeking external validation any longer.  As a younger man I certainly was—and as a pastor it’s somewhat an occupational hazard to seek not only God’s approval but the approval of the congregation you attempt to entertain each week.

Now I’m pretty comfortable in my own skin.  I would struggle if my family or friends rejected me as somehow not a decent human being, but so far that hasn’t been an issue.  I rarely have any guilt or shame because I typically see myself as living consistent with my own values.

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 08 2007,10:45   

Quote (curious @ Jan. 07 2007,12:38)
I have heard from one of my philosophy teachers (alas, he knows Greek, both ancient and some Septuagint, and I do not), that the Greek word for "soul" 'psuche' is only used in the gospels and no where else in the bible. However, this is the same word, used quite a bit before, by Plato (esp. in the Phaedo and Republic) in his theory of forms/soul. This helps crystallize the notion that soul and body is more of a fabrication from Plato, rather than matthew, mark, luke or john.

Or it could be Plato got it right and the writers of the Gospels had become familiar with the concept.  For your philosophy teacher to say it was “fabricated from Plato” is intentionally putting a “spin” on the use of the word which doesn’t necessarily follow.

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 08 2007,11:01   

Quote (bystander @ Jan. 07 2007,23:00)
If so I would have thought that the John Edwards of the world would be blasted from the pulpits, or is it just a case of Christians (You even hear of pastors saying that someone is with God when they die) not knowing their religions.

A couple of reasons why this stuff happens…

While pastors are typically well versed in theology, when they teach their congregations they are much more likely to preach either practical Christian morality talesn(how to deal with stress, how to love unlovable people, etc.) or popular social issues akin to their particular prejudices (politics, homosexuality, etc.)

I’m confident John Edwards has been railed against by a number of pulpits.

As to putting people with God—I think most pastors are not careful with their words and often revert to “popular” concepts without thinking through the real implications.  People want to believe they go immediately to heaven when they die.

curious

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 08 2007,11:35   

Quote (ScaryFacts @ Jan. 08 2007,10:45)

Quote (curious @ Jan. 07 2007,12:38)
I have heard from one of my philosophy teachers (alas, he knows Greek, both ancient and some Septuagint, and I do not), that the Greek word for "soul" 'psuche' is only used in the gospels and no where else in the bible. However, this is the same word, used quite a bit before, by Plato (esp. in the Phaedo and Republic) in his theory of forms/soul. This helps crystallize the notion that soul and body is more of a fabrication from Plato, rather than matthew, mark, luke or john.

Or it could be Plato got it right and the writers of the Gospels had become familiar with the concept.  For your philosophy teacher to say it was “fabricated from Plato” is intentionally putting a “spin” on the use of the word which doesn’t necessarily follow.

Hum, I guess my post was a bit unclear, but I was meaning to only attribute the strong possibility that Plato's terminology was used in the gospels to my teacher. The latter "fabrication" suggestion is my own, which is something like: 'The concept of a "soul" is historically convoluted and likely did not originate with christ's teachings per-se, but rather a synthesis from Plato's ideas and the very early church'.

Plato was one of the first to view the soul as something completely separate (i.e., an entirely different, non-physical, substance), to which the (physical) body is dependent. You just don't see this notion until the Greek in the new testament. However, Plato's soul concept was a bit more complicated, Plato thought the soul was immortal and when "put" into your material body, the transition makes us "forget" the perfect knowledge of the forms. So the only way to learn anything would be to "recall" our knowledge by dialogue and my recognizing the forms. This is where the substance dualism comes from, the i) realm of the forms/soul and ii) the physical.

So I'm claiming when the gospel uses Plato's conception of the soul, they rip it from Plato's original context and transplant it into the gospel wherein the substance dualism had previously been alien.  

(Anyway... eh, I don't even like Plato (I'm an Aristotle guy). I also might be wrong about the early Christians, not about the greek, but the dualism might have been pushed much more in medieval conceptions of the soul... )

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 08 2007,12:18   

Quote (curious @ Jan. 08 2007,12:35)

Hum, I guess my post was a bit unclear, but I was meaning to only attribute the strong possibility that Plato's terminology was used in the gospels to my teacher. The latter "fabrication" suggestion is my own, which is something like: 'The concept of a "soul" is historically convoluted and likely did not originate with christ's teachings per-se, but rather a synthesis from Plato's ideas and the very early church'.

I understood your point, and I do believe religious thought is a combination of observation, revelation and imitation.  I don’t doubt some of the early Christians were familiar with Plato and could easily have borrowed from him.

I didn’t think you were wrong, I’m just trying to not use language that is loaded so that we don’t confuse emotional responses with rational thought.  (At least, not too often!)

creeky belly

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 08 2007,12:30   

Scary,

This is probably the best flash example I have for imagining the multiverse/multi dimensions. It took me two or three times to get it.

The tenth dimension

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 08 2007,12:37   

Quote (BWE @ Jan. 07 2007,17:40)
I can see the similarities between creation myths and can understand that they are attempts to explain what the authors did not understand. I can also catalog the phenomena that the authors did not understand and the supernatural explanations given for these phenomena. A partial list:* gravity –god, * geologic processes –god, * relativity or the absence of a reference point –god, * light speed and the implications of telescopes –god, * climate –god, * dna –god, * the Americas –ummm, * the size and age of the cosmos –god.

These phenomena are now partially understood by applying the scientific method to them. What's more, the science is accessible to anyone willing and able to repeat the experiments. If you were to repeat the experiments, you should get the same results. And, strangely, none of them end up needing anything specific from god. As Carl Sagan said "We grow up in isolation. We need to teach ourselves the cosmos."

BWE this is a great post.

As I mused last week I began considering the idea that God (in the Judeo/Christian sense) may not act supernaturally i.e.: Outside of natural laws.  If you look at some of the “miraculous” passages of scripture, at least some of them are consistent with nature.

In addition in my own experience I have seen what I would consider God’s operation, but it was often accomplished through process with “coincidental” results rather than “miraculous” results.

When the Jews read Genesis 4,000 years ago, did they know a rainbow was caused by light refraction or did they see it as a supernatural event?  All the Bible tells us is God telling man to be reminded of him each time they see a rainbow—not that the rainbow never existed before the flood.

God holds “all things together” (Col 1:17) seems a lot like a reference to gravity.  Would Paul have known that in the first century?  Am I reading more into this than was intended?  Possibly, but Paul is talking about the creation of the natural world.  Gravity is certainly a force involved in the creation and preservation of the universe;

335 replies since Jan. 03 2007,21:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]