RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: A Cut-and-Paste Ruling, Chuck Colson smears Judge Jones< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Jason Spaceman

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,06:35   

Judge John Jones once told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he became a judge hoping that someday he would have a chance “to rule in matters of great importance.”

Well, last year he got his chance. He ruled on Kitzmiller v. Dover, holding that you could not teach intelligent design in public schools. But given what’s leaked out about his decision, Judge Jones is not likely to be remembered as “an outstanding thinker,” as Time magazine called him. Instead, we might remember him as the judge who let a litigant write his opinion.

Maybe I am an idealist, but going back to law school, I have always respected judges. I believe they take seriously their oath to uphold the laws and the Constitution and to rule impartially. Sad to say, this judge apparently did not.

Maybe I should not have been surprised because, two months before the case was heard, the judge said in a newspaper interview that he was going to go see Inherit the Wind, the old film about the Scopes trial, hopelessly biased toward the evolutionists’ view. He said he wanted to do it to get a context for hearing the Dover case. I wrote him and explained that it is historically inaccurate; he never replied.

Now it turns out that even as the media was praising Judge Jones for his brilliant insights, the Discovery Institute found that ACLU attorneys had actually written key sections of the ruling. In the section on intelligent design, more than 90 percent “was taken virtually verbatim from the ACLU’s proposed ‘Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law’,” so says the Discovery Institute.

Read it here.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,08:42   

Quote (Jason Spaceman @ Feb. 03 2007,07:35)
Judge John Jones once told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he became a judge hoping that someday he would have a chance “to rule in matters of great importance.”

Well, last year he got his chance. He ruled on Kitzmiller v. Dover, holding that you could not teach intelligent design in public schools. But given what’s leaked out about his decision, Judge Jones is not likely to be remembered as “an outstanding thinker,” as Time magazine called him. Instead, we might remember him as the judge who let a litigant write his opinion.

Maybe I am an idealist, but going back to law school, I have always respected judges. I believe they take seriously their oath to uphold the laws and the Constitution and to rule impartially. Sad to say, this judge apparently did not.

Maybe I should not have been surprised because, two months before the case was heard, the judge said in a newspaper interview that he was going to go see Inherit the Wind, the old film about the Scopes trial, hopelessly biased toward the evolutionists’ view. He said he wanted to do it to get a context for hearing the Dover case. I wrote him and explained that it is historically inaccurate; he never replied.

Now it turns out that even as the media was praising Judge Jones for his brilliant insights, the Discovery Institute found that ACLU attorneys had actually written key sections of the ruling. In the section on intelligent design, more than 90 percent “was taken virtually verbatim from the ACLU’s proposed ‘Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law’,” so says the Discovery Institute.

Read it here.

"Maybe I am an idealist, but going back to law school, I have always respected judges. I believe they take seriously their oath to uphold the laws and the Constitution and to rule impartially."

he added, "But I'm Chuck Colson, so what do I know about upholding the laws, or that Constitution business."

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,14:22   

"If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"--Charles Colson

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,17:41   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Feb. 03 2007,14:22)
"If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"--Charles Colson

Hey, I thought that was an LBJ quote . . . .

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,17:47   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Feb. 03 2007,17:41)

Hey, I thought that was an LBJ quote . . . .

Johnson liked to pull ears.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,18:17   

One time he lifted that beagle by the ears, and nobody lets him forget it...

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,18:35   

oh yeah!

I had forgotten about that.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,18:49   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Feb. 03 2007,18:35)
oh yeah!

I had forgotten about that.

My favorite LBJ anecdote:

In 1968, during a press conference in Thailand, LBJ, meeting with reporters outside a washroom, is alleged to have exposed himself while declaring: "Don't see 'em this big out here, do they?"

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,21:53   

Got to be the rumballs, or it won't work.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,01:49   

are you sure it won't work if you grab them by the Rumsfeld?

--------------

-CC

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,08:27   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Feb. 04 2007,09:49)
are you sure it won't work if you grab them by the Rumsfeld?

Yeah but they ditched him, now who's balls are you going to grab?

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,18:06   

well, now you know why they ditched him.

;)

--------------

-CC

11 replies since Feb. 03 2007,06:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]