RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >   
  Topic: GoP's LAMSM Theory, Liberal Agenda of the Mainstream Media?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2006,14:06   

Still no answer to my question, Bill? I'm beginning to think you're ducking me…

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,03:58   

Still no answer to my question, Bill? I'm beginning to think you're ducking me…

Ok, let's turn the question around: suppose you uncovered evidence that the media was suppressing hate crimes against gays, blacks, or other minorities. Would you be concerned? Why or why not?

--------------
Dey can't 'andle my riddim.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,04:10   

Since there's been precious little justification for any liberal beliefs proffered on this blog, I find myself unimpressed with your posturing. But don't worry; I won't ask you to leave - we conservatives can tolerate opposing points of view. It's a civilisation thing - you wouldn't understand.

Ghost: I've got a model which proves my point.
Me: What's the model?
Ghost: (silence)
Ghost: I'm working on it.
Ghost: You're complaining in the wrong thread.
Ghost: You're trying to suppress my point.
Ghost: You're posturing.

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,05:04   

Sorry, Ghost. You won't slip-slide past this one so easily.

Oh, man, do I love debating liberals! This is too funny....you guys really think that I would try to distort a source that I linked to?

Well, seeing as that's what you obviously did, what we think is irrelevant, so...

But I guess it's the same logic as with those bogeys you keep posting, to make your posts seem neatly supported: You think that few people will pay enough attention to them to figure it out, and if some do and call you out, you're self-assured enough to think you can work around it. Think again.
But in case you were wondering, I neglected to quote that part because I don't care about debating side issues such as legal or financial inequities among the races -

Give me a break. Who do you think you're fooling? The part you mention here is three paragraphs down. You deliberately start snipping in the middle of a paragraph, from the exact sentence where the authors start to present their reasoning. Don't insult our intelligence.
I just want the author's data and reasoning on the topic we were like, you know, actually discussing: media bias.

Yeah, right. Only it's the reasoning of the authors you snipped out: As for the subject we're discussing, it's media liberal bias. Check the thread title, in case you forgot.
But this doesn't establish motive - it takes other evidence to do that. The point remains the same: the media considers black victims of white bias more newsworthy than the converse.

...Which is not how you presented it. You presented it as proof for liberal bias, period. My "seriously flawed" view is also the authors' view: You cannot accept their work as "well supported" and dismiss their justification as "speculations". Maybe you should take it with them: I believe they have a comments page on that site.

Or, if you were in the least bit honest, you should say something like "This, of course, points to a media bias. Now, the authors argue that the reason behind it is profit; I, however, think it shows a liberal bias because blah blah". But that would mean coming up with actual arguments instead of google trawling, right? You would have to engage your brain.

The fact remains: You were desperately seeking objective support for your liberal bias theory. You stumbled upon this student work, that demonstrated a media bias and presented its reasons for it. It is you who didn't like those reasons, so you snipped them into nonexistence, hoping you'd make us think that such a bias would only be explained as a "liberal" one.

You deliberately tampered with your source, twisting its meaning: And in the world of civilised internet debate, this is not minor misconduct (like your irrelevant links and shifting arguments and moving goalposts and failing to deliver): It's a felony.
Ghost: as far as I'm concerned, you're burned out in this thread, just like in the gay marriage one. You'll have to try real hard to make me take you seriously. Coming up with an actual argument would help: But seeing as you've got your hands full -with Tiktaalik rebuttals and... cannibals (?) and marriage scale-free networks (or is it "family" scale-free networks now? You're an open book, ghost  ;) ), I think I shouldn't hold my breath.

One more thing: Like I said in my first two posts, I entered this debate without having any real opinion. I knew (and still know, I guess) little about the US media: I had no reason not to assume a liberal bias might not exist. Paley, you could have persuaded me.
However, after visiting the sites your links led to, and reading what the wackos who post there say (like that story about the white van), and especially after your dishonest behavior, I'm pretty sure there is no liberal bias in the US media. The fact that there is a racial bias in the media, often used to divert the public's attention from cases of authority abuse and brutality in general, to more sensitive racial discrimination issues, seems more and more plausible.

And guess what: It seems that the actual liberal media agree: That's why, in most cases, they were the ones that stood out and reported all those -undermined by the mainstream media- cases of police brutality in the first place.

Congratulations, Ghost, you've converted me- to the opposite side.

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,07:23   

Faid:
Sorry, Ghost. You won't slip-slide past this one so easily.

Ummmm....OK.
Oh, man, do I love debating liberals! This is too funny....you guys really think that I would try to distort a source that I linked to?

Well, seeing as that's what you obviously did, what we think is irrelevant, so...

Oh m-m-my goodness! You figured out my master plan of linking to and then deliberately misrepresenting sources! How ever did you catch me?!! I mean, I thought that everyone here was completely illiterate and/or wouldn't be able to click on the blue line! But boy, were you too clever for me!  :D  :D  :D
But I guess it's the same logic as with those bogeys you keep posting, to make your posts seem neatly supported: You think that few people will pay enough attention to them to figure it out, and if some do and call you out, you're self-assured enough to think you can work around it. Think again.

First, I should stop citing the sources for my ideas. Check.....
Give me a break. Who do you think you're fooling? The part you mention here is three paragraphs down. You deliberately start snipping in the middle of a paragraph, from the exact sentence where the authors start to present their reasoning. Don't insult our intelligence.

Also, I must quote every argument my source makes, even if I don't think it contributes to the debate. Because, after all, I'm the only one who can double-check for quote-mining by actually reading the articles. Check......
Yeah, right. Only it's the reasoning of the authors you snipped out: As for the subject we're discussing, it's media liberal bias. Check the thread title, in case you forgot.

And the legal inequities that blacks face in the court system relates to this how......?
But this doesn't establish motive - it takes other evidence to do that. The point remains the same: the media considers black victims of white bias more newsworthy than the converse.

...Which is not how you presented it. You presented it as proof for liberal bias, period.

No, I presented this as excellent evidence that the media underreports minority-on-majority violence. Which it was, and still is. Look, you and Eric were the ones that demanded this type of evidence. So I supplied it. Now you're whining that I didn't present the argument the way you wanted, so this makes me dishonest, so therefore you can reject the conclusions of the study. But that's not how science works. The scientific part of the article involved the data, the methodology behind the data, and the conclusions drawn directly from the data. I'm not interested in the author's opinions on our court system, because the authors weren't studying this issue. And remember, these are students: I trust their counting more than their pontificating. Apparently you would rather have the navel-gazing.
Or, if you were in the least bit honest, you should say something like "This, of course, points to a media bias. Now, the authors argue that the reason behind it is profit; I, however, think it shows a liberal bias because blah blah". But that would mean coming up with actual arguments instead of google trawling, right? You would have to engage your brain.

Uhhhh....check my last posts, Sherlock. That's exactly what I'm trying to do:
First, I'm talking about a multicultural bias, which isn't restricted to political liberals. Second, I plan on refuting "the media's just in it for the money" argument. For starters, if the "media's just in it for the money", then why do they suppress juicy racial details when their disclosure would only pique public interest? Why doctor scandalous documentaries in such a way to remove their impact? Or is it just the Amurican media that's just trying to make a buck? But then, why do so many newspapers hide the race of a suspect? It seems the excuses are flying:
[etc. etc.]

So even if you had a point, it's irrelevant now, since I am attempting to address the "racial conflict->extra sales" feedback loop. Maybe you should deal with my arguments instead of my character.
And guess what: It seems that the actual liberal media agree: That's why, in most cases, they were the ones that stood out and reported all those -undermined by the mainstream media- cases of police brutality in the first place.

Congratulations, Ghost, you've converted me- to the opposite side.

Obviously you haven't been listening. But that's not an MP, that's a YP.

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,07:31   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ May 01 2006,08:58)
Ok, let's turn the question around: suppose you uncovered evidence that the media was suppressing hate crimes against gays, blacks, or other minorities. Would you be concerned? Why or why not?

Well, yeah, I would, Bill. But here's the reason: historically, oppressed minorities in this country have suffered terribly at the hands of the majority. The converse, i.e., majorities suffering terribly at the hands of minorities, has generally not happened. Have whites been systematically been abused by blacks? Have straights been systematically abused by gays?

That's why we call them "oppressed minorities," Bill. Do you, a white Christian male, feel like an oppressed minority? If so, why is that?

If, somehow, the tables were turned, and white people were being enslaved by black people on a regular basis, or straight people were being beaten and killed because of their sexuality by gay people, maybe your indignation would make some sort of sense to me. But that's not happening, so it doesn't make any sense to me.

--------------

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,08:19   

Well, as I wrote a long ways back, Ghost is primarily concerned about *loss of privilege*. Granting equal rights to those he fears may not affect the rights he has whatsoever, but that's not the problem. The problem is, rights granted to those denied them would eliminate his privileged position. He'd suffer effective equalty.

And as I also wrote, what we're seeing in the media is a reaction to the very privilege Ghost is trying to protect. Legislating privilege generates resentment. Ghost thus demonstrates "science" in action -- if what you're doing leads to the the opposite of what you intend, do more of it.

This gets kind of boring after a while.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,10:12   

Well, as I wrote a long ways back, Ghost is primarily concerned about *loss of privilege*. Granting equal rights to those he fears may not affect the rights he has whatsoever, but that's not the problem. The problem is, rights granted to those denied them would eliminate his privileged position. He'd suffer effective equalty.

Sigh.....no, I'd suffer de facto inferiority. For example:

1) There's a (small) danger that I would be pushed to the back of the adoption list
2) The media will not cover crimes committed against me, or at the very least will try to downplay them
3) My group will be demonised by the media and Madison Avenue
4) I will have to be more qualified than gays to get the same job
5) I will have to score higher on standardised tests to get into the college of my choice
6) If I start a business, I will face artificial competition from set-asides
7) If monogender parenting turns out to be a disaster, I will have to pay higher taxes and face more crime
8) I will not be allowed to study #7 unless I reach the "right" conclusions
9) I will lose my right to complain about this, as well as a number of other things
10) If a gay person gets upset with me, he can hoax up a "hate" crime charge and realise that, even if I somehow manage to beat the rap, my life will be ruined anyway (this goes double if I play lacrosse  :D )
11) If I say the wrong thing, I can be fired, even from a government job. Gays, on the other hand, may rank me to the dogs and back and fear no consequences.

Welcome to equality, bubba....

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,10:26   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ May 01 2006,15:12)
Sigh.....no, I'd suffer de facto inferiority. For example:

1) There's a (small) danger that I would be pushed to the back of the adoption list
2) The media will not cover crimes committed against me, or at the very least will try to downplay them etc. etc. etc.

How are any of these discriminatory practices different from what actual minorities have had to put up with, are putting up with, will continue to put up with?

Which isn't to say discrimination is okay. But frankly, Bill, I have to say I find it amusing to find a member of the top 1% of the heap (a group I also find myself a member of) complaining about how he's so put upon, and how life is so unfair. The victimization act is pretty unseemly when you're better off than 99% of the people on the planet.

I think my advice to you could be summed up like this: get over yourself, dude.

--------------

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,10:28   

[quote=The Ghost of Paley,May 01 2006,12:23][/quote]
Oh m-m-my goodness! You figured out my master plan of linking to and then deliberately misrepresenting sources! How ever did you catch me?!! I mean, I thought that everyone here was completely illiterate and/or wouldn't be able to click on the blue line! But boy, were you too clever for me!  :D  :D  :D

Keep trying to wave it off, Ghost. You're only making yourself look silly. You did it, period.
First, I should stop citing the sources for my ideas. Check.....

Or maybe you should, you know, start citing sources that actually support them. Because so far, nada.
Also, I must quote every argument my source makes, even if I don't think it contributes to the debate.

You must quote the arguments your source makes, the way they make them. It's a simple concept: It's called honesty.
Leaving the part that says:
It is possible that the media has a “vested interest” in covering brutality that could be manipulated into a racially motivated crime. These sensational stories can manipulate the audience and may create increased racial tension throughout the country.[...]

...And immediately ditching the next part of the paragraph:
 [...]The riots, the violence, and the controversy most likely ensure the newspapers with a continued story to cover. Had the stories dealt with the issue of police brutality, a very serious issue, all of the incidents would have been covered with equal zest. Unfortunately as The Baltimore Sun points out in an editorial on July 30, 2000, “Whether you view them [the police] as the good guys or as a brutal occupation force may depend on where you live and the color of your skin.”   Likewise, whether the media views them [the victims] as good enough to be a story or as an occupational flop may depend on where they lived and the color of their skin.  The media chooses who is significant and who is forgotten based on their race and the sensationalism that their status as a victim can create.

If the Busch and Jones stories were printed with as much fervor as the ones with racist undertones, the country would probably deal with the problem, ending a juicy bit of news. Because the issue of race is such a sensitive and controversial one, it is possible for the media to exploit it. Such manipulation may increase revenue for the newspapers; increased racial tensions may be the national hidden cost of their attempt to drive up sales. Given the number of articles written on a select few versus the lack of articles on a select racially unmotivated few, the following conclusion is unavoidable. The media creates a racial panic. And the issue of police brutality cannot be adequately voiced with the cacophonous racial noise in the background.

Is called twisting an argument by selective quoting, and it's a long way from the aforementioned concept.

And the legal inequities that blacks face in the court system relates to this how......?

Still playing dumb? You selectively snipped out the reasoning they gave to explain their data, making it seem like they were agreeing with you. The legal part came much later. Denying it won't help: Anyone can go back one page and see what you took out. Or, you know, they can see above.
Look, you and Eric were the ones that demanded this type of evidence. So I supplied it. Now you're whining that I didn't present the argument the way you wanted, so this makes me dishonest, so therefore you can reject the conclusions of the study.
We demanded (and still demand) evidence of liberal bias. Before I realized your selective quoting, both me and Eric pointed out how your data could be interpreted differently (unknowingly agreeing with what the authors actually argued for). I have to admit that I fell for it: In the beginning, reading your quotes only, I thought the authors were arguing for a liberal bias. You see, it was you who didn't like the conclusions of the study and rejected them, leaving only the part that would point elsewhere. "Vested interest"! I'm sure you were snickering when you decided to keep that in...
But that's not how science works.

Do you even know how science works? Or scientific reference? Say that I want to support an announcement in a medical journal, that says intramedullary nailing (A) is a dangerous method for treating fractures that should be dropped.
I have difficulty to find any bibliography to support my view, until I find another announcement that shows greater risk of infection of (A) compared to, say, external fixation of the fracture (B) (to all: sorry about the technicals).
Now, the authors argue that all the known benefits that make (A) better than (B) will be valuable if we carefully choose where and when to apply this method, and that hospitals should not be eager to use it, tempted by its higher cost.
I don't like that, so I snip it out. Or perhaps, I leave a tiny bit that says something like "it is foolish to disregard the high risks associated with (A)". Then I present my announcement, with prime mention of this work in my collected data, discussion and bibliography.
Now, do you know what will happen if (when) I'm caught? I will be publicly ridiculed in the medical community, and the authors of the original work will probably sue me.

Don't worry, I don't think anyone will sue you... I think you've got the ridicule thing pretty much covered up, though.
I'm not interested in the author's opinions on our court system, because the authors weren't studying this issue.

Here we go again... Just drop it, will you? You're not fooling anyone. We can all see everything that you snipped out; don't pretend that was just it.
And remember, these are students: I trust their counting more than their pontificating. Apparently you would rather have the navel-gazing.

Actually, when discussing a presentation, it's the data that should get more thoroughly examined- as well as their interpretation of it. I already pointed a few things that would have been a subject of debate for their interpretation. Remember that, for both interpretation and deduction of results from the data, the students would (should) have a number of specific data to point to, theirs or from other works, that are ommited or mentioned briefly in their work's summary. You seem to take the first for granted, and think the latter does not exist.
Uhhhh....check my last posts, Sherlock. That's exactly what I'm trying to do:
First, I'm talking about a multicultural bias, which isn't restricted to political liberals. Second, I plan on refuting "the media's just in it for the money" argument. For starters, if the "media's just in it for the money", then why do they suppress juicy racial details when their disclosure would only pique public interest? Why doctor scandalous documentaries in such a way to remove their impact? Or is it just the Amurican media that's just trying to make a buck? But then, why do so many newspapers hide the race of a suspect? It seems the excuses are flying:
[etc. etc.]

So even if you had a point, it's irrelevant now, since I am attempting to address the "racial conflict->extra sales" feedback loop. Maybe you should deal with my arguments instead of my character.

Why my dear Watson, it seems we might be wrong after all; let us see... hmm... Why yes, you did say that... AFTER we called you out for distorting your source. Before that: well, I guess you were too busy gloating about how you were waving our stained undies in the air with your last post, to bother doing so.

Foiled again, Moriarty.

Oh and, "arguments"? I only see a couple of more bogeys. Some guy "arguing" that the media not reporting the race of two blacks killed by an angry mob of lowlives of undetermined race is somehow evidence of liberal bias, a reporter arguing why his newspapers policy to not mention race is not PC, a link to a reporter saying what the media should stop doing to avoid bias, and finally a refusal of one channel to broadcast a political advertisement that, among other things, was racially charged... in Great Britain. That last one was a real gem, ghost.
I'd ask you how all this leads to "liberal bias" over "exploiting racial panic for profit" but I'm afraid you'll post 3 more irrelevant links for every one you'll try to explain.
Obviously you haven't been listening. But that's not an MP, that's a YP

Come again? And what about that google search, ghost? I mean, it's what you do best... Especially since you don't do anything else.

--------------

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,10:33   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ May 01 2006,15:12)

Oh and, btw, thanks for reminding me... How's the "Family as a hub in a scale-free network" model coming along?  ;)

...You realise that you'll also have to show why divorce did not destroy society, right?  ???

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,12:02   

Keep trying to wave it off, Ghost. You're only making yourself look silly. You did it, period.

In your eyes, maybe. I still see otherwise. But let's say you're correct here - God knows I can't prove motivation. The facts remain:

1) The only reason you were able to "prove" my "dishonesty" was by clicking on a link that I provided. So even if I was dishonest (which I dispute), I provided the opportunity to easily check my claims. So basically your complaint is: "I'm angry because you're the dishonest type who would correctly assume that I'd be too lazy to click on a blue line and read your paper!"

Way to sell yourself, Chief.

2) I'm now trying to rectify my "lapse". So why not move on?

3) You still haven't explained the massive discrepancy in news coverage. You've basically waved your hands around the data, spinning one lazy excuse after another, asking for a piece of evidence and then arbitrarily rejecting it, and then trying to shift the debate once you find you can't support your opinion. By the way, where is the evidence for your point of view? All I see is spinning and whining.

Show me your lexus searches. Show me your studies. But you can't, because they don't exist. Face it, you're just jacked because you know I'm right.

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,12:17   

I'm trying to think how proving either position would work, even in principle. I'm thinking it would have to work this way:

Bill presents a figure for the total number of news reports of minority-on-majority violence (which he presumably thinks is a smaller number than vice versa);

Faid presents a figure for the total number of news reports of majority-on-minority violence (which he presumably also thinks is a smaller number than vice versa).

Let's say one number is 60% (or 100%, or 200%) bigger. Does that prove anything? No. Because without a handle on the actual number of reportable incidents, how can either side say they've won?

So what you really need is four numbers: 1) the number of maj-on-min crimes; 2) the number of reported maj-on-min crimes; 3) the number of min-on-maj crimes; and 4) the number of reported min-on-maj crimes.

That's just a minimum. After that, you need a detailed analysis of things that are inherently difficult to quantify, e.g., the weight given to the circumstances of interest (was the racial element of the crime of central, or only peripheral, importance to the story?). You might want to look at the prominence of the story (front page, below the fold front page, in the back of the "local" pages, filler at the end of a paragraph, etc.)

In other words, in order to make a reasonably compelling argument, Bill, you're going to need to write a doctoral dissertation. Of course, you could cite someone else's doctoral dissertation, but I'll bet Faid can do the exact same thing. We could go on like this for hundreds of posts, and you still wouldn't really be able to draw a line from your premise to your conclusion...whatever that conclusion turns out to be.

If your conclusion is, the media needs to be less biased, you can stop now. We all think that anyway.

--------------

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,13:58   

[quote=The Ghost of Paley,May 01 2006,17:02][/quote]
The only reason you were able to "prove" my "dishonesty" was by clicking on a link that I provided. So even if I was dishonest (which I dispute), I provided the opportunity to easily check my claims. So basically your complaint is: "I'm angry because you're the dishonest type who would correctly assume that I'd be too lazy to click on a blue line and read your paper!"

Heh... Tell you what, Ghost: If you agree you were dishonest, I've no trouble agreeing I was lazy. Glad we got that settled. So, let's move on indeed...
You still haven't explained the massive discrepancy in news coverage. You've basically waved your hands around the data, spinning one lazy excuse after another, asking for a piece of evidence and then arbitrarily rejecting it, and then trying to shift the debate once you find you can't support your opinion.

Oh, but we did explain it, Ghost, remember? We accepted your data and provided a reason for it- a reason much more plausible than attempting to implicate all the mainstream media in the US in an intricate conspiracy guided by... whom? And guess what, turns out that that's what the authors who came up with the data, studied it in extent (unlike you or us) and presented it thought, too.
What you refer to as hand-waving and lame excuses is actually called reasoning. You should try it sometime.
As for "trying to shift the debate once you find you can't support your opinion", what can I say? It's a good thing my irony meter is still busted from the last time I checked Davescot's posts...
By the way, where is the evidence for your point of view? All I see is spinning and whining.

Show me your lexus searches. Show me your studies. But you can't, because they don't exist. Face it, you're just jacked because you know I'm right.

Oh now I see how it goes...

GOP: -Hey everyone! Here's my compelling evidence for a liberal bias in US media, just like I promised! I win!

Everyone: -Um, not really.

GOP: -And if you look here, what can you say? How about this? Is it indisputable proof or what?

Everyone: -Er... Not really?

GOP: -If you look here, here and here however, there's no question you'll be left speechless by the amazing amount of irrefutable proof!!!!!1
(dances the jig)

Everyone: -Not really... *yawn*

GOP: -... Tell you what, wiseguys: Why don't you Marxists prove to me there is no liberal bias in the US media? Common, I'm waiting!

...Aaand that concludes our thread, ladies and gentlemen.

PS. You know, you could have still saved this. You could have honestly admitted that distorting your source was uncalled for, and started producing real arguments to support your position... You could have started by addressing what I said about the most hardcore liberal media being the ones to actually report all those police brutality incidents that mainstream media suppressed. I myself have thought of a possible reason for that already (other than the most obvious one, that suppressing those stories does not constitute liberal bias, I mean). We could have put this behind us, and have an interesting debate.
The way things turned out, however, with the only argument you were able to come up with being "well why don't you prove me wrong"  (as if it's us who made unsupportable claims first), I don't see that happening.

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,15:03   

Faid:
Oh, but we did explain it, Ghost, remember? We accepted your data and provided a reason for it- a reason much more plausible than attempting to implicate all the mainstream media in the US in an intricate conspiracy guided by... whom? And guess what, turns out that that's what the authors who came up with the data, studied it in extent (unlike you or us) and presented it thought, too.

You mean the financial motivation?
It is possible that the media has a “vested interest” in covering brutality that could be manipulated into a racially motivated crime. These sensational stories can manipulate the audience and may create increased racial tension throughout the country. The riots, the violence, and the controversy most likely ensure the newspapers with a continued story to cover. Had the stories dealt with the issue of police brutality, a very serious issue, all of the incidents would have been covered with equal zest. Unfortunately as The Baltimore Sun points out in an editorial on July 30, 2000, “Whether you view them [the police] as the good guys or as a brutal occupation force may depend on where you live and the color of your skin.”   Likewise, whether the media views them [the victims] as good enough to be a story or as an occupational flop may depend on where they lived and the color of their skin.  The media chooses who is significant and who is forgotten based on their race and the sensationalism that their status as a victim can create.

If the Busch and Jones stories were printed with as much fervor as the ones with racist undertones, the country would probably deal with the problem, ending a juicy bit of news. Because the issue of race is such a sensitive and controversial one, it is possible for the media to exploit it. Such manipulation may increase revenue for the newspapers; increased racial tensions may be the national hidden cost of their attempt to drive up sales. Given the number of articles written on a select few versus the lack of articles on a select racially unmotivated few, the following conclusion is unavoidable. The media creates a racial panic. And the issue of police brutality cannot be adequately voiced with the cacophonous racial noise in the background.

[all emphases mine]

So the authors admit that:
1)  Race plays a role in media crime coverage
2)  The media create a racial panic which they then exploit financially
3)  Their drive to maximise profit only partly explains the discrepancy in news coverage, since the media create some of the sensationalism in the first place

So even if you agree with their unevidenced speculations, you must concede the basic point: the media cover crimes in a racially biased way. Now, it's true that the authors and I disagree on how to weigh each variable; for example, I don't consider the media's drives primarily economic in this case. But so what if it is? After all, slaveowners had an economic motive as well: does that make slavery morally acceptable? I still fail to see how this study helps your argument - the data sure as #### doesn't. But that's why you tried to shift the argument in the first place. Admit it, you and Eric were embarrassed that I could provide the very piece of evidence you demanded. It's OK, we all get clobbered sometimes. Try not to be such a crybaby about it in the future. :p
GOP: -Hey everyone! Here's my compelling evidence for a liberal bias in US media, just like I promised! I win!

Everyone: -Um, not really.

GOP: -And if you look here, what can you say? How about this? Is it indisputable proof or what?

Everyone: -Er... Not really?

GOP: -If you look here, here and here however, there's no question you'll be left speechless by the amazing amount of irrefutable proof!!!!!1
(dances the jig)

Everyone: -Not really... *yawn*

GOP: -... Tell you what, wiseguys: Why don't you Marxists prove to me there is no liberal bias in the US media? Common, I'm waiting!

Man, I really broke your brain, didn't I? You're bitching because I can back my case up and you can't? I'm not surprised. What does surprise me is your dismay over that fact. After all, if you libs could back any of your ideas up, you wouldn't have to create speech laws to begin with, now would ya?
...Aaand that concludes our thread, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm not surprised that you're leaving - you're obviously incapable of supporting your position.  ;)

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,15:26   

PS. You know, you could have still saved this. You could have honestly admitted that distorting your source was uncalled for, and started producing real arguments to support your position...

1) I don't admit to what I didn't do. See, this is the common liberal trick known as "claiming the moral high ground". It's a time-tested fallback position: if the conservative has you bested on the facts, try to smear him to put him on the defensive. Faid, I used to be a liberal. Don't you think I can see through this? I'm just surprised you haven't tried the Yenta Plan® already.

2) As you admitted earlier....
Why my dear Watson, it seems we might be wrong after all; let us see... hmm... Why yes, you did say that... AFTER we called you out for distorting your source. Before that: well, I guess you were too busy gloating about how you were waving our stained undies in the air with your last post, to bother doing so.

....I'm now trying to "fix" my so-called mistake. So can you deal with my argument or not? By the way you keep bringing my character up....I guess not. Unless you consider your lame, evidence-free posturing "reasoning".

So once again: where's the evidence for your position? I mean real evidence, like studies or Lexis-Nexis searches or, well.....anything.

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,15:53   

Eric:
Well, yeah, I would, Bill. But here's the reason: historically, oppressed minorities in this country have suffered terribly at the hands of the majority. The converse, i.e., majorities suffering terribly at the hands of minorities, has generally not happened. Have whites been systematically been abused by blacks? Have straights been systematically abused by gays?

OK, but how long will that argument hold water? I mean, the Nazis tried to wipe the Jews off the face of the planet 50 years ago.....and yet, the Jews have moved on (well, most of them). The media doesn't try to cover up the malfeasance of Jewish individuals when it occurs - they just report it and let the antisemites do what they will. Look at the media coverage of Israel - I see no evidence that they're holding back - ####, Israel gets held to a higher code of behavior than any other country in the world, including Amurica. I don't mind if the media focuses on the Diallos and Shepards - just provide some context for these crimes. But it's too late for that I fear....the apple's rotten to the core. Thank God for the internet.

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,16:01   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ May 01 2006,20:0)
Admit it, you and Eric were embarrassed that I could provide the very piece of evidence you demanded. It's OK, we all get clobbered sometimes. Try not to be such a crybaby about it in the future. <!--emo&:p

Embarrassed, Bill? Embarrassed by what? That you could show bias in the media? That's not exactly news, and not exactly embarrassing. I've never denied that there's plenty of bias in the media (the difference between us appears to be that I acknowledge the bias goes both ways).

Funny, I don't feel particularly clobbered, Bill. I still don't think you've demonstrated there's a consistent liberal slant to the media, even when it comes to racial issues, and you certainly haven't shown me why a media bias in favor of majority-on-minority violence is something to get all up in arms about anyway.

And I think Faid's analysis of the article you linked to is much more of an embarrassment to you than it is to either Faid or me. While the authors' data might agree with your claim, their conclusions certainly don't.

--------------

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,16:04   

I don't admit to what I didn't do.

But of course, this isn't what was stated. The statement was that you could have owned up to what you DID do.

Clearly, the statement was wrong. You CANNOT own up. Do you think lying about it fools anyone other than yourself?

This is what cripples any hope of communication here. Distort your material, get called on it, and lie reflexively. Get called on that, and deny that as well.

As I said before, you were a liberal much as creationists "used to be atheists". It's an empty posture. You don't yet seem to realize that things don't magically come true except in your own mind just because you SAY they're true.

So steve's still waiting for the promised model. I'm still waiting for any even remotely rational explanation of how granting equal rights to others costs you yours. I guess it's time to change the subject again.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,16:19   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ May 01 2006,20:53)
OK, but how long will that argument hold water? I mean, the Nazis tried to wipe the Jews off the face of the planet 50 years ago.....

It'll hold water forever, Bill. Violence and oppression perpetrated by the dominant culture against a minority underclass will always be more newsworthy in a free society. If, 200 years from now, you read the papers (the Internet will be back on papers by then), you'll find that violence perpetrated by the Spanish-speaking Hispanic majority against the minority (say, 15% of the population?) white Christian culture is more  newsworthy than vice versa.

And Oops! You did it again! you teen idol you. You provided an example that proves my point for me.

Nazi oppression of Jews was (or should have been) more newsworthy in the 1930s than Jewish violence against Germans. Today, violence and oppression perpetrated by Israelis (the dominant culture) against Palestinians (the minority underclass) is more newsworthy than vice versa. Or, maybe not. After all, it's not like Palestinian violence against Israelis exactly goes unreported in the U.S. media. Hmm...maybe there are quite a few problems with your thesis, Bill...

--------------

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,16:47   

Who's leaving, Ghost? I wouldn't miss watching your pathetic attempts to save face for the world. I'm just through taking you seriously.

So even if you agree with their unevidenced speculations, you must concede the basic point: the media cover crimes in a racially biased way

Whoo hoo we agree! Now, about that "liberal" thing...
After all, slaveowners had an economic motive as well: does that make slavery morally acceptable?

I see. That makes my argument that, when you use racial panic to make a buck, it makes racial panic morally acceptable, go down the drain, I guess. Curses!
(BTW: I like the "as well" bit-heh)
I still fail to see how this study helps your argument - the data sure as #### doesn't.

You mean the data of the work that claims a racial bias for profit do not support a racial bias for profit?  Well, like I said, maybe you should take it with the authors... But I'd be happy if you demonstrate it here. Fat chance, I know.
But that's why you tried to shift the argument in the first place.

You're right, I deserved my clobbering: I shouldn't start arguing for an *undefined* racial bias when I had promised I'd deliver proof for a liberal bias... No wait, that was you.
Man, I really broke your brain, didn't I? You're bitching because I can back my case up and you can't?
Oh, you broke my brain alright, Ghost. Just now. *tilt* :0  :D

So! you ready to support your claims using actual arguments? You can start from what I previously said about hardcore liberal media being the ones to actually report all those "suppressed by the liberal media" cases of police brutality. I can give you a few hints to help you along the way, but you'll have to do most of it yourself.

Or you can simply keep this charade up and let your immaturity shine through with each post you make. Idontcare.

--------------

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 01 2006,17:00   

I don't admit to what I didn't do

Then you must show that you didn't do it. But since you did it, well... You tell me.
See, this is the common liberal trick known as blah blah blah

And this is a common internet trick <edit: also a politician's one- no offense, Ghost...:)> known as labelling practices (not sure about the term in english, sorry). When you cannot defend yourself against accusations, claim this is a typical tactic the liberals/conservatives/evolutionists/christians/whatever use to smear their opponents. It's got a name, therefore it must be true, roight Ghost?
As you admitted <edit: admitted?> earlier....

....I'm now trying to "fix" my so-called mistake

So, you're asking me to accept your apology, although you have not apologised: Just another way of saying "Let's not dwell on that". Whatever.

2. So can you deal with my argument or not? By the way you keep bringing my character up....I guess not.

I will, once you tell me what it is, exactly. As for your character... What?
Unless you consider your lame, evidence-free posturing "reasoning".

*Even* If that were true, Not reasoning at all and google trawling is way lamer, and deep down you know it.

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: May 02 2006,08:15   

Faid:
Then you must show that you didn't do it. But since you did it, well... You tell me.

OK, even though it wasn't a deliberate attempt to quote-mine, I apologise for snipping out some of the author's explanations. Whatever the intentions, I distorted the author's meaning. I'm sorry. Now, will you address my earlier points? Here they are:
So the authors admit that:
1)  Race plays a role in media crime coverage
2)  The media create a racial panic which they then exploit financially
3)  Their drive to maximise profit only partly explains the discrepancy in news coverage, since the media create some of the sensationalism in the first place

So even if you agree with their unevidenced speculations, you must concede the basic point: the media cover crimes in a racially biased way.

Will you, Russell, and Eric clearly concede that the media underreport minority-on-majority violence? I realise that some of you think you have already admitted this, but humor me. Just a short statement like, "I agree that the media underreport minority-on-majority crimes, and part of this is due to race." If, on the other hand, you still contest this, please point out with which part of the statement you disagree. Please be brief and clear.
*Even* If that were true, Not reasoning at all and google trawling is way lamer, and deep down you know it.

OK, here's your chance to shine. Just don't forget to honor the above request.....

--------------

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 02 2006,08:40   

I don't mind if the media focuses on the Diallos and Shepards - just provide some context for these crimes.
Like the context you've provided here, you mean? All the min-on-maj crime that you contend is under-reported? Or do you mean context specifically of the Diallo and Shepard cases - mitigating circumstances etc?
But it's too late for that I fear....the apple's rotten to the core. Thank God for the internet.
Well, indeed. Now you can find out The Real Deal, from such reliable and non-agenda driven  sources as... WorldNetDaily.

Will you, Russell, and Eric clearly concede that the media underreport minority-on-majority violence...and part of this is due to race?
I concede it's possible. First we'd have to establish some definitions:

What does "underreport" mean? Does it mean covering all or most majority on minority crime, while covering little or no minority on majority crime?

Does it mean covering a fraction of both categories, but - recognizing that there will always be space and time limits to what fraction of misdeeds are covered - that media often give majority on minority crime more newsworthiness points?

Then, we'd have to weigh the seriousness of the misdeeds being compared. I would say most items on your list just don't rack up as many newsworthiness points as the notorious majority-on-minority crimes you're trying to compare them to. Come to think of it, I don't think any of them do.

But here's one that did: the Central Park Jogger case. I keep trying to get you to comment on that. Do you think that was an aberration? Do you think the press did itself proud there? If not, how might they have done a better job?

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 02 2006,09:03   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ May 02 2006,13:15)
Will you, Russell, and Eric clearly concede that the media underreport minority-on-majority violence? I realise that some of you think you have already admitted this, but humor me. Just a short statement like, "I agree that the media underreport minority-on-majority crimes, and part of this is due to race." If, on the other hand, you still contest this, please point out with which part of the statement you disagree. Please be brief and clear.

Here's the problem with such a concession, Bill. If I conceded that the media under-report min-on-maj crime, I'd have to know that there is min-on-maj crime out there that is actually not reported. How would I know that? Even if it's true that there are more stories of maj-on-min crime than vice versa, couldn't it be the case that there simply is less min-on-maj crime to report in the first place?

Look: it may be true that the media under-report min-on-maj crime. You certainly haven't established that, but even if you had, I'd still maintain that the reasons for that may have nothing to do with racial discrimination (remember the Nazi-Jew/Israeli-Palestinian thing?) It's almost certainly true that the media emphasize maj-on-min crime, but the reasons for that seem to be good and proper to me. That the reasons may be "due to race" seems irrelevant, unless you equate being aware of the existence of race with being racist. I mean, I don't think anyone's contending that race doesn't exist.

And I still don't know exactly what your point is here, Bill. Even if it's true that the media under-report min-on-maj crime, what do you think should be done about that, other than that the media should report more min-on-maj crime. What social ill would that fix?

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: May 02 2006,09:40   

Like the context you've provided here, you mean? All the min-on-maj crime that you contend is under-reported?

Well, let's take the Diallo shooting for instance. Would it have killed the media to also report the Haggerty case? If nothing else, the Haggerty story shows that Diallo-like overreactions are possible even if the suspect and cop belong to the same race. And don't forget the other victims:
A comparison on the coverage of five recent cases: Patrick Dorismond, Amadou Diallo, Timothy Thomas, Thomas Jones, and Gideon Busch clearly reveals the role that race plays in the media’s selection of cases portrayed in the United States. Each one of the five individuals stated above was a victim of police overstepping and abusing their authority and each case has been referred to as an example of police brutality. While the cases share a common thread, their differences might be more important to note. Dorismond, Diallo, and Thomas were Black men brutalized by White police officers, Busch was White and was shot by White officers, and Jones is Black and was abused by a group of mostly Black officers. The media tends to focus on racism as the sole reason for the abuse of Diallo, Dorismond, and Thomas.

I can't see how a halfway responsible media would give the Diallo case saturation coverage, with inflammatory editorials about "racist" cops, when they have evidence that paints a different picture. And notice that the coverage was directly proportional to the number of white cops present (not to mention the dramatic fall-off when the victim was White).
Will you, Russell, and Eric clearly concede that the media underreport minority-on-majority violence...and part of this is due to race?
I concede it's possible. First we'd have to establish some definitions:

What does "underreport" mean? Does it mean covering all or most majority on minority crime, while covering little or no minority on majority crime?

How about reporting the crimes in proportion to the frequency of their occurrence? Once again:
Let us examine these claims under the light of what the facts actually show. In 1999, lawenforcement agencies nationwide reported a total of 7,876 hate crimes to the FBI, of which 4,295 (or 55 percent) were motivated by racial bias. Because some of those victimizations involved more than one offense (e.g., assault and robbery), the 4,295 incidents actually encompassed 5,240 separate offenses. If we exclude all racially motivated offenses whose perpetrators are categorized as being of "unknown race," and focus specifically on those offenses definitely involving both blacks and whites, we find that blacks were victims of 2,030 racially motivated offenses committed by whites, while whites were victims of 524 racially motivated offenses committed by blacks. Thus whites were responsible for 79.5 percent of these interracial hate crimes, and blacks 20.5 percent.

While this may appear to support the popular assertion that whites are likelier than blacks to commit hate crimes, we must remember that the total population of nonHispanic whites is about 6 times larger than the total population of nonHispanic blacks. When we factor this population disparity into the equation, we find that the "average" black is actually about 50 percent likelier than his or her white counterpart to commit what is classified as a racially motivated hate crime. Because this fact so radically contradicts most Americans’ prevailing worldview, one would think it might be big news deemed worthy of discussion by activists and academics alike. But in fact these are among the most underpublicized numbers in all of criminal justice.

Another vital fact to consider is that FBI hatecrime statistics list "Hispanics" as a category of victims (of crimes motivated by ethnicity or national origin), but not as a category of offenders. Instead, Hispanic offenders are lumped together with whites. In other words, the current hatecrime classification system allows for Hispanics to be counted as victims of hate crimes, but never as perpetrators of such crimes. This, of course, artificially inflates the share of hate crimes committed by "whites."
[....]
The Bureau of Justice Statistics estimates that in 1999, there were about 657,008 blackonwhite crimes of violence, as compared to some 91,051 of the whiteonblack variety. Yet although blackperpetrated interracial crimes outnumbered whiteperpetrated interracial crimes by a ratio of about 7.2 to 1, the official hatecrime statistics showed white offenders outnumbering black offenders by a 4 to 1 margin. Put another way, about 1 out of every 45 whiteonblack attacks is classified as a hate crime, while the corresponding fraction for blackonwhite attacks is an astounding 1 out of 1,254.

[my emp]

Hey, here's a story for ya: with their "hispanic" category fudging, the government is actively defaming an entire race! Think that'll sell a few copies of the local fishwrap?
Then, we'd have to weigh the seriousness of the misdeeds being compared. I would say most items on your list just don't rack up as many newsworthiness points as the notorious majority-on-minority crimes you're trying to compare them to. Come to think of it, I don't think any of them do.

But here's one that did: the Central Park Jogger case. I keep trying to get you to comment on that. Do you think that was an aberration? Do you think the press did itself proud there? If not, how might they have done a better job?

OK, we'll discuss the CPJ case, but promise me that you'll deal with my Hammerhead Hagan.  :D

--------------

thordaddy

(Permalink) Posted: May 02 2006,09:54   

GOP,

You know you're fighting an uphill battle when the "liberals" maintain no media bias even though upwards of 70% of American journalists self-identify as "liberals."  

To the "scientists," this salient fact is evidence of nothing but objectivity.  LOL!

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 02 2006,09:55   

Okay, Bill. One more time: what are the social consequences of the racially-biased "liberal" media's failure to give equal time to minority-on-majority crime? We know what the remedy would be, but the question is, what is it a remedy for?

After we get an answer to that, perhaps we could move onto a really important topic, say, how the conservative bias of the media leads to things like aggressive war, which kills tens of thousands of people; what the social consequences of that bias are; and what should be done about it?

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 02 2006,10:04   

Quote (thordaddy @ May 02 2006,14:54)
You know you're fighting an uphill battle when the "liberals" maintain no media bias even though upwards of 70% of American journalists self-identify as "liberals."

Thordaddy, you're an idiot.

No liberal (or conservative, for that matter) is saying there's no bias in the media. Where did you get that ridiculous idea?

And if you think you can prove there's a "liberal" bias in the media, you're going to have to get around the inconvenient fact that by March of 2003, almost 85% of Americans thought some or all of the September 11 hijackers were Iraqis (you wouldn't be part of that 85%, would you?).

Do you suppose that erroneous belief can be ascribed to liberal bias in the media?

Anyone care to bet on how many times Thordaddy whips out his irrelevant "70%" statistic, over and over again, as if saying it actually means something?

--------------

thordaddy

(Permalink) Posted: May 02 2006,10:10   

ericmurphy asks,

Do you suppose that erroneous belief can be ascribed to liberal bias in the media?

Yes... the "liberal" media has shown the utmost reluctance to describe who it is exactly that we are at war with, namely, Muslim fanatics.

221 replies since April 27 2006,06:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]