RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (622) < ... 537 538 539 540 541 [542] 543 544 545 546 547 ... >   
  Topic: A Separate Thread for Gary Gaulin, As big as the poop that does not look< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: April 18 2016,20:18   

Quote (Jim_Wynne @ April 18 2016,19:58)
Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 18 2016,17:11)
Quote (jeffox @ April 18 2016,12:14)

Instead of discussing scientific concepts it turns into an insulting penmanship lesson.

Penmanship on a keyboard?  (cringes)  Don't you mean grammar?  Well, I guess not, if word definitions don't mean anything to you . . . .

Whatta hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that you mention it, a suitable phrase would be as they say "Grammar Nazis".

It's like they are on a mission to cleanse the planet of of my dialect community. Only way to stop them appears to be by using a sharp pen, somehow, but where I live metal quills have been antiquated. We now use ball-points.

"Ballpoint."

Creative liberty. I wanted to make the word "ball" contrast well with "sharp"  pointed quill pens, and to say it as though to some here it might be a new word that they never saw before.

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: April 18 2016,20:38   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 18 2016,20:18)
Quote (Jim_Wynne @ April 18 2016,19:58)
Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 18 2016,17:11)

Quote (jeffox @ April 18 2016,12:14)

Instead of discussing scientific concepts it turns into an insulting penmanship lesson.

Penmanship on a keyboard?  (cringes)  Don't you mean grammar?  Well, I guess not, if word definitions don't mean anything to you . . . .

Whatta hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that you mention it, a suitable phrase would be as they say "Grammar Nazis".

It's like they are on a mission to cleanse the planet of of my dialect community. Only way to stop them appears to be by using a sharp pen, somehow, but where I live metal quills have been antiquated. We now use ball-points.

"Ballpoint."

Creative liberty. I wanted to make the word "ball" contrast well with "sharp"  pointed quill pens, and to say it as though to some here it might be a new word that they never saw before.

Gaulin in a nutshell. He takes "creative liberties" with evidence, logic, grammar, facts, and the truth.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: April 18 2016,20:51   

Only way to stop them appears to be by using a sharp pen, somehow, but where I live metal quills have been antiquated. We now use ball-points.

That's your writing in a nutshell: even after you "explain" it, it still doesn't make much sense.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: April 18 2016,20:56   

Oh here comes another cognitive science expert who is going to tell us all about how intelligence works, by throwing a smart-looking insult. Let me know when you are capable of intelligently discussing modern cognitive models.

A video of my conference presentation will soon be available. I'll let you know when it's online.

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: April 18 2016,23:14   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 18 2016,20:56)
Oh here comes another cognitive science expert who is going to tell us all about how intelligence works, by throwing a smart-looking insult. Let me know when you are capable of intelligently discussing modern cognitive models.

Just did that a little while ago, but you ignored it, probably because you still aren't ready to do any actual science.

Now, this is how you do science about navigation by insects:
http://www.cell.com/cell-re....8-X.pdf

Popular news account if you can't access the paper:
http://www.bbc.com/news.......6046746

Note: proposal of hypotheses, making predictions, and testing them;
Actual data
Direct experimentation
Ground truthing
CONFIRMATION by modelling (not ungrounded modelling, then unbridled speculation)

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2016,00:03   

Quote (N.Wells @ April 18 2016,23:14)
Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 18 2016,20:56)

Just did that a little while ago, but you ignored it, probably because you still aren't ready to do any actual science.

Now, this is how you do science about navigation by insects:
http://www.cell.com/cell-re....8-X.pdf

Popular news account if you can't access the paper:
http://www.bbc.com/news.......6046746

Note: proposal of hypotheses, making predictions, and testing them;
Actual data
Direct experimentation
Ground truthing
CONFIRMATION by modelling (not ungrounded modelling, then unbridled speculation)

Explain to me how that changes the model I have that already senses and responds according to angular time (as referenced by a cue card that like the sun slowly moves around its arena)?

You showed me information specific to the circuit of a monarch butterfly, not a cognitive model for demonstrating the navigational system that models what it sees.

You at least did a good of throwing an insulting strawman argument. In your world deception must be a virtue.

--------------

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2016,05:39   

You showed me information specific to the circuit of a monarch butterfly, not a cognitive model for demonstrating the navigational system that models what it sees.
Yes, but that's nonetheless a great instance of science concerning how the monarch butterfly navigates.

What they did that makes their work interesting science, all of which you lack, is that they proposed hypotheses, made valid predictions, and tested them, using actual data, i.e. relevant documented evidence.  They defined their terms.  They used direct measurement and experimentation, and spent a lot of effort verifying and demonstrating that what they talk about is real.  They used their model for confirmation.

This is not that difficult.  Every grad student in science learns how to do this.

Without these things, all your stuff is irrelevant.

What the researchers did not do, again unlike you, was to use their model as a launching point for unbridled speculation about things like molecular intelligence, the Cambrian explosion, salmon as spectacular examples of parental care, and so on and so forth.

In your world deception must be a virtue.

In my world, good science is a virtue.  You, in contrast, are not in any way connected to good science.

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2016,06:18   

Note as well that the scientists did not proclaim to have 'explained' "intelligence".
They know the scope and limits of their model.

You have no model.  Still less do you have a clue about the scope and limits we've already demonstrated your "theory" to have.  Starkly limited, counter-factual, and incapable of explaining anything at all about common acts of human intelligence.  And there not a 'theory of intelligence' even were it to be a theory.

Once the "grammar nazis" are finished with you, your real problems arise.  The syntax police and the semantics police.
You've committed a whole lot of crimes against language, as we've been pointing out for 9+ years.

Palaeonictis

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2016,13:22   

Quote (N.Wells @ April 19 2016,05:39)
What they did not do, again unlike you, was to use their model as a launching point for unbridled speculation about things like molecular intelligence, the Cambrian explosion, salmon as spectacular examples of parental care, and so on and so forth.

How about Komodo dragons as "spectacular examples of parental care", once the eggs hatch a large portion of the hatchlings are eaten by the Komodo adults. Exemplary parenting, indeed!  

Intelligence being the cause of the Cambrian explosion?!?! My, the little critters must've been smart enough to change their morphologies and behaviors to match the onslaught of predators, at least, according to Lamarkists. Then again, Lamark proposed a scientific theory, with testable predictions, and a testable explanation for variety which Darwinism at the time lacked (while Mendel discovered genes in 1865, the whole "Mendelian genetics" thing did not pass on 'till around 40 years afterwards with Hugo de Vries). Once Lamarkism was falsified, most Lamarkists drifted towards more plausible theories of evolution, such as a thing called "natural selection", ever hear of it Gary?

How was Lamarkism falsified? It all began with a simple experiment by August Weismann all the way back in 1887, Weismann, a Darwinist (a term that was applicable back then, not so much now), cut the tails off of mice, and every new generation, the mice didn't turn out with cut off tails, just ordinary tails (ordinary, in the sense of mice). When previous die-hard Lamarkists like Cope's prodigies Walter Barryman Scott and Henry Fairfield Osborn heard about this "revolutionary" new insight, they abandoned Lamarkism for something, ahem, called "orthogenesis".

Do you see the difference between "Gaulinism" and "Lamarkism", Lamarkism was actually scientific, with testable predictions, and wasn't a catch all term, once it was falsified, gradually most Lamarkists turned to other theories of evolution (Darwinism didn't really become popular until the Modern Synthesis of the 1930's and 40's). You keep holding on to your deranged ideas, with no testable predictions, even when shown the error of you ways, unlike Lamarkists, you promptly dismiss them as the work of the "Scientific Establishment" trying to discredit your ideas.

--------------
“Why do we electrocute men for murdering an individual and then pin a purple heart on them for mass slaughter of someone arbitrarily labeled “enemy?”
― Sylvia Plath

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2016,15:23   

Another clueless nutcase has just arrived.

But I cannot afford to bother with the creep.

--------------

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2016,16:10   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 19 2016,15:23)

Gaulin: "Scientists love my ideas.  Hey scientists, aren't my ideas great?"

Scientists: "You're ideas are wrong because a...b...c......z."

Gaulin: "Another clueless nutcase has arrived.  But I cannot afford to bother with the creep."

Gary, answer your critics or no scientist will ever take you seriously.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2016,18:02   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 19 2016,16:23)

You really are resistant to facts and cogent analysis aren't you?

Pity your act is so transparent.

Remind us -- how many supports of your "theory" have you managed to cultivate?  What's that?  Zero?
How surprising.  Not.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2016,18:38   

Quote (NoName @ April 19 2016,16:02)
Remind us -- how many supports of your "theory" have you managed to cultivate?  What's that?  Zero?
How surprising.  Not.

Gary has an extraordinarily low bar for "support," including form letters and "will look into this when I have time."  Anything short of a restraining order will do.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2016,18:42   

Goo-Goo, you threw grammar under the train a loooong time ago.  

Whatta hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2016,18:46   

Quote (JohnW @ April 19 2016,19:38)
Quote (NoName @ April 19 2016,16:02)
How surprising.  Not.

Gary has an extraordinarily low bar for "support," including form letters and "will look into this when I have time."  Anything short of a restraining order will do.

Sounds about right.

So not so much a bar as a trench, without the workmanship.

ChemiCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,02:59   

So not so much a bar as a trench, without the workmanship.

And digging deeper all the time.

Welcome to the nut buffet, Palaeonictus.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,04:25   

Quote (Texas Teach @ April 19 2016,16:10)

I disgrace myself even more by being here to allow disrespectful swellheads like you to make false claims in order to trash my scientific work.

Regardless of your reasons: you and the others are just creeps. Another scientific problem that needs to be fixed, not condoned.

--------------

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,05:55   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 20 2016,04:25)

I disgrace myself even more by being here to allow disrespectful swellheads like you to make false claims in order to trash my scientific work.

Regardless of your reasons: you and the others are just creeps. Another scientific problem that needs to be fixed, not condoned.

Fail.  Guess better.

--------------

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,06:03   

You are getting the respect that you have earned.  Your stuff has none of the characteristics of good science.

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,06:36   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 20 2016,05:25)

So why are you still here?

So why are you not  learning science and participating therein?

Why have you never once substantiated the assertions that persons here [or on the internet generally] "make false claims in order to trash [your] scientific [sic] work"?
You've never once managed to substantiate any aspect of that claim.  You've never even tried.

Pathetic, even for you, you whining insignificant poseur.

ChemiCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,08:35   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 20 2016,05:25)

Gaulin, you are as much use to science as water skis are to a herring.

You have no theory, your theory and model are useless for all the reasons supplied over these hundreds of pages, you have no "scientific work" by any stretch of the words and your grammar is atrocious.

Flounce off, Gaulin, and come back when you have something other than drivel to present.

Glen Davidson

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,10:53   

Maybe, but mostly you disgrace yourself by claiming that your nonsense is science.

Be sure to focus on every lesser disgrace instead, though.  That way, you can avoid having to acknowledge the uselessness of your tripe.

Glen Davidson

--------------
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p....p

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of coincidence---ID philosophy

Cubist

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,16:07   

And yet, you voluntarily choose to come here, of your own free will, and in so doing, you allow us to do all that. One wonders why you even bother, seeing as how we're all "disrespectful swellheads" who "trash" your "work" and everything.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,18:07   

Quote (Cubist @ April 20 2016,16:07)
And yet, you voluntarily choose to come here, of your own free will, and in so doing, you allow us to do all that.

You sound proud of yourself.

But by the way which cognitive model have you found most useful in your scientific work?

--------------

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,18:31   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 20 2016,18:07)
Quote (Cubist @ April 20 2016,16:07)
And yet, you voluntarily choose to come here, of your own free will, and in so doing, you allow us to do all that.

You sound proud of yourself.

But by the way which cognitive model have you found most useful in your scientific work?

Unless someone is studying the thinking of creatures with brains, why would one need a cognitive model?

--------------

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,18:32   

NOT YOURS.  

Get it?  We tried, you failed.  Jeez you're dense, and that's not our fault.

Poor Grammar . . . . . . she was such a nice old gal. . . . .

Whatta hoot!!!!!!!

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,18:40   

Quote (jeffox @ April 20 2016,18:32)

NOT YOURS.  

Whatta hoot!!!!!!!

See, David L. Heiserman "How to Build Your Own Self-Programming Robot" TAB Books 1979
robots.net/article/3428.html

And Arnold Trehub, "The Cognitive Brain", MIT Press 1991, Chapter 9, Page 158, Fig 9.3
people.umass.edu/trehub/thecognitivebrain/chapter9.pdf
people.umass.edu/trehub

--------------

Palaeonictis

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,18:48   

THRINAXODON OFFERS ONE CENT TO THOSE WHO CAN PROVE EVOLUTION. LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN.

--------------
“Why do we electrocute men for murdering an individual and then pin a purple heart on them for mass slaughter of someone arbitrarily labeled “enemy?”
― Sylvia Plath

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,19:05   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ April 20 2016,19:40)
Quote (jeffox @ April 20 2016,18:32)

NOT YOURS.  

Whatta hoot!!!!!!!

See, David L. Heiserman "How to Build Your Own Self-Programming Robot" TAB Books 1979
robots.net/article/3428.html

And Arnold Trehub, "The Cognitive Brain", MIT Press 1991, Chapter 9, Page 158, Fig 9.3
people.umass.edu/trehub/thecognitivebrain/chapter9.pdf
people.umass.edu/trehub

Non-responsive.  Irrelevant.

You're a lunatic, plain and simple.  A massive failure.
You wallow in it.  Pointlessly.  Endlessly.
And above all else, tiresomely.

Not one supporter after 9+ years on the net.
Your relationship to the work of Trehub and Heiserman is tenuous at best and entirely parasitic.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2016,19:22   

Quote (Palaeonictis @ April 20 2016,18:48)
THRINAXODON OFFERS ONE CENT TO THOSE WHO CAN PROVE EVOLUTION. LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN.

Texas Teach, answer your critics or no scientist will ever take you seriously.

--------------

18634 replies since Oct. 31 2012,02:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (622) < ... 537 538 539 540 541 [542] 543 544 545 546 547 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]