RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (527) < ... 507 508 509 510 511 [512] 513 514 515 516 517 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2021,07:49   

Quote (Bob O'H @ May 18 2021,03:09)
Even the moderator seems to have largely given up.

Huh?

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2021,14:21   

Quote (stevestory @ May 18 2021,02:49)

Huh?

I took Bob to be referring to Barry. Ooh, maybe he did mean you!!!

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2021,02:06   

Quote (Alan Fox @ May 18 2021,14:21)
Quote (stevestory @ May 18 2021,02:49)

Huh?

I took Bob to be referring to Barry. Ooh, maybe he did mean you!!!

I did mean Barry. Sorry for any confusion.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2021,08:31   

KF is getting his boo-taé positively handed to him  :p

Viola Lee
May 19, 2021 at 6:57 am
Thanks to WJM at 413 for saying the obvious about something I wrote. I’ll quote at length, and bold the important part:

Viola stated an empirical fact, that diversity of beliefs exist in the population. Viola then made the observation that if a diversity of beliefs exist in the population, we have to live with that. Under charitable interpretation, one would assume this means: unless we commit suicide or intend on eliminating that diversity in some manner, then we have to find a way to live with it.

There’s nothing incoherent or self-defeating whatsoever in that. It’s necessarily true given the empirical fact premise.

Sandy, SB and KF seem so intent on finding “self-defeating incoherence” in everything people say here that they have apparently stopped even trying to understand other people (not that they ever really tried much in the first place) and have suspended “charitable interpretation.”

Exactly. Here’s another example. Above I was complaining and making a bit of fun about how repetitive KF’s OPs are, and how he uses the same diagrams over and over and over. I happened to mention as an example the red ball. So does KF get the point? Not a bit. He responds at 410:

You object to metaphors while failing to realise that self-evidence is real and corrects warped thinking. No wonder your next objection is to a red ball A, distinct from rest of world ~A, so W = {A|~A}

which then allows us to see law of identity, and its close corollaries non contradiction and excluded middle.

A is itself i/l/o its coherent core characteristics, a red ball vs the impossibility of a square circle. The world W is such that any x in W must be in A or else not A, not both nor neither. That’s LNC, A or else not A, LEM not both nor neither.

In short you have managed to try to dismiss the core first principles of right reason.

That is ludicrous. I was not objecting to metaphors and I was not dismissing the laws of logic.

I was pointing out that KF says the same things over and over again without, as WJM points out, making any attempt to understand other people. Says WJM, “It’s kind of like a didactic computer program that access vast information but always outputs the same essential thing, over and over and over, regardless of the input, regardless of the meaning of the input.”

His posts today in response to things I wrote yesterday amply illustrate these flaws in how KF responds to other people who attempt to have discussions with him.

Linky-dinky

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2021,13:46   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ May 16 2021,20:36)
Quote (stevestory @ May 16 2021,16:23)
Not that there is much future, necessarily. Lately UD is just Kairosdoofus, BatShit77, and StephenB harassing everyone they don’t agree with as communists.

I agree. It has stopped being interesting, even from a goulish perspective. It has a crazy bornagain crazy, a homophobic bible-thumper who thinks he is the smartest man in the world, when he isn’t even the smartest man in Montserrat, a delusional war hero from Mass who thinks that frequency = wavelength and a moderator who gets his thrills by preventing high school valedictorians from giving their address simply because they are gay.

I hate to say it, but it might be time to shut down this site.

Poor Joe is feeling lonely. He has responded to my comment over on his Unintelligible Reasoning.
Ohs Noes! I am being called Deluded by a Cowardly Pathological Liar and Ignoramus!
-

Earth to Kevin Middlebrook, aka Acartia BlowTard, william dickshaker, and douchebag- It is beyond hilarious that you think you can insult people. HINT- pathetic imps like you are the insult.

I won’t link to his site because there is nothing of interest there.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2021,18:30   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ May 20 2021,11:46)

Not that there is much future, necessarily. Lately UD is just Kairosdoofus, BatShit77, and StephenB harassing everyone they don’t agree with as communists.

I agree. It has stopped being interesting, even from a goulish perspective. It has a crazy bornagain crazy, a homophobic bible-thumper who thinks he is the smartest man in the world, when he isn’t even the smartest man in Montserrat, a delusional war hero from Mass who thinks that frequency = wavelength and a moderator who gets his thrills by preventing high school valedictorians from giving their address simply because they are gay.

Poor Joe is feeling lonely. He has responded to my comment over on his Unintelligible Reasoning.

Ohs Noes! I am being called Deluded by a Cowardly Pathological Liar and Ignoramus!
-

Earth to Kevin Middlebrook, aka Acartia BlowTard, william dickshaker, and douchebag- It is beyond hilarious that you think you can insult people. HINT- pathetic imps like you are the insult.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2021,19:01   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ May 20 2021,14:46)

I went there a few months ago. No reason to go back. The March 2021 issue of Better Homes & Gardens has a cover article about making herb-topped turkey pot pies. There’s no way that article isn’t 1000x more interesting and useful than anything at Joe’s blog.  :p

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2021,19:03   

Paige
May 20, 2021 at 5:36 pm
Jerry

The word “warrant” gets in the way of what is happening/necessary to increasingly get what is more certain.

The word “warrant” just adds a level of pomposity to the monologue that is unnecessary. Serious and honest discussions use terminology that all can relate to. Those who wish to confuse their opponents and make them look inferior use words, phrases and references (eg, Cicero, Plato, Aristotke) that the majority of people are not familiar with.

If you can’t make your point with language and phrases that people are familiar with, maybe your point is not valid.
Poor KF

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2021,19:03   

Quote (stevestory @ May 20 2021,19:01)
Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ May 20 2021,14:46)

I went there a few months ago. No reason to go back. The March 2021 issue of Better Homes & Gardens has a cover article about making herb-topped turkey pot pies. There’s no way that article isn’t 1000x more interesting and useful than anything at Joe’s blog.  :p

Only 1000 times? Most TicToc videos have more of value to say that delusional Joe. Did I say “most”?  Sorry. All.

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2021,02:35   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ May 20 2021,13:46)

-

blow the argument regarding design?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2021,05:14   

Karen McMannus
May 21, 2021 at 4:01 am
StephenB,

I suspect your IQ is around 90. No point in ongoing exchanges. Take care.
That’s giving him a lot of credit

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2021,05:23   

Oops - beaten to it by stevestory.

Edited by Ptaylor on May 21 2021,23:06

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2021,09:38   

Quote (stevestory @ May 21 2021,03:14)
Karen McMannus
May 21, 2021 at 4:01 am
StephenB,

I suspect your IQ is around 90. No point in ongoing exchanges. Take care.
That’s giving him a lot of credit

"Think how dumb the average person is. Half of us are dumber than that." -- Carlin.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2021,10:38   

Except that average and median are usually different by some amount.  :p

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2021,09:21   

Poor KF. Elderly bigots deserve blind obedience!

William J Murray
May 23, 2021 at 7:40 am
Setting aside ontologies that are the result of uncritical examination of comparatives, one can only choose or adopt an ontology by preference, including meta-preferences, such as how one prefers to evaluate their ontological options. I’d say it’s safe to assume a large number of people prefer to choose or populate their ontology via evidence and reason applied to evidence, at least as best they can.

So this is where the two different kinds of evidence come in; empirical personal experiences and testimony. We might assume that every one here is doing their best to apply logic to this evidence in pursuit of a comprehensible, working ontological framework.

But, here’s the problem: that process cannot even begin without ontological framing. At best, we may begin with an assumed, subconscious general ontological framework, and via evidence and reasoning change our ontology. In most cases, we come to the realization that we are using an ontological framework, and then question if that framework is appropriate given the evidence. However, we rarely recognize that what we consider to be evidence in the first place, how we sort it and even how we rationally evaluate it, is from a deep, unrecognized ontological perspective.

I think much of the discourse with KF here can be seen as the result of KF mistaking his ontological perspective for absolute reality, which would mean to him that his epistemology is derived from absolute reality, thus inescapable and applicable to everyone and everything they say and do. This would account for his characterization of his efforts here as “corrective” in nature. I don’t see that there is any other explanation for the use of that terminology.

Viola Lee
May 23, 2021 at 7:50 am
KF writes, “VL, what part of, even your objection or citation of objections is implicitly appealing to the first duties it would dismiss is so hard to understand and to recognise per simple inspection?

“2. Appeals to “common human experience”

Yes, people implicitly appeal to using logic and reasoning skills: I do that at all the time. That is not the same as establishing that that we have an ontological duty to do so.

That is a clear distinction that you don’t get.

Linky

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 25 2021,00:44   

Gordon Davisson
May 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm

BA77 @ 57: So, you claim to be willing to admit to your mistakes, but when faced with having to do so you retreat into ad-hominem insults and refuse to follow through.

Classy. Real classy.
Hehehe

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 25 2021,06:00   

PaulT
May 25, 2021 at 4:42 am

Bornagain77/45
“Well GD, I disagree with you and I will, (since I referenced actual empirical evidence and you did not), let my posts stand as written for unbiased readers to judge for themselves and see who has presented the better case, and who is refusing to have their worldview challenged by the scientific evidence.”

Unbiased reader here. I side with Gordon Davisson in this instance. More-so after your uncharitable comment at 57 and the double-down at 61. Please reconsider these.

Yes, I’m sure Batshit will totally reconsider

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 26 2021,01:26   

TimR
May 25, 2021 at 8:34 pm
BA77: I’ve never heard Sean Carroll described as a new atheist before. He very rarely talks about religion. And no I’m not saying MWT is a sane belief because Sean Carroll says it is. I’m saying its a theory that arises from the equations of quantum mechanics (and is in fact the simplest application of those equations. It doesn’t require a collapse of the wave function, or hidden variables). Eminent physicists treat it as a legitimate theory and a fruitful area of enquiry.

And by the way, the theory doesn’t require an infinite number of worlds.

Edit: just Seversky’s comment which pretty much says the same thing

If I was considering spinal surgery, I would consider the views of qualified spinal surgeons. If I am thinking about foundations of physics, I consider the views of qualifies theoretical physicists. As opposed to some guy on the internet. But perhaps rather than describing it as crazy, you could identify what is wrong with MWI from a theoretical perspective – what about it is inconsistent with experiment?
Poor BatShit77…they are not respecting his authoritah!

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: May 27 2021,10:39   

VL I also see that referencing 1984 is the fashionable way to dismiss other people’s thoughts these days. Name-calling is usually not considered an argument.

A little ironic given Orwell’s six rules on writing: 🙂

1) Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
2) Never use a long word where a short one will do.
3) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
4) Never use the passive where you can use the active.
5) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
6) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

Any guess on who she was referring to?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2021,05:31   

Gordon Davisson
May 27, 2021 at 8:31 pm
Bornagain77 @ 94:

Bear in mind that others do not see your becoming comfortable with the idea that you exist in an veritable infinity of other places as an achievement of any sort but see it as a mental deterioration on your part..

I wasn’t asking for congratulations, I was just trying to explain my views… and hopefully get you to stretch your own mind a bit. But I guess your mental straitjacket is too strong for that.

And I see you also still think there’s something important about the free will loophole.

As to closing the freedom of choice loophole, if it is all the same with you, I think I will stick with Anton Zeilinger and company when his says he closed the loophole, and not with your denial that he closed it.

Whether the loophole has been completely closed (as you seem to think) or only narrowed (as Zeilinger actually says) isn’t the main point. The main point is that closing the loophole doesn’t have much significance, and doesn’t have any significance to atheism.

Back in comment #90, you said:

Basically with super-determinism, and with the closing of the setting independence and/or ‘free will’ loop hole by Zeilinger and company, the Atheistic naturalist is now reduced to arguing that “a particle detector’s settings may “conspire” with events in the shared causal past of the detectors themselves to determine which properties of the particle to measure.”

This, again, is complete nonsense. Closing loopholes in Bell’s theorem tests is only relevant to hidden variable theories. Not to any non-local-hidden-variable interpretation of QM, and not to atheism.

As I said before, none of the interpretations I talked about, MWI, Ghirardi–Rimini–Weber, de Broglie–Bohm, and the transactional interpretation, are local hidden-variable theories, so the presence or absence of loopholes in the Bell tests is irrelevant to them.

And there’s no reason atheists would be restricted to those interpretations. There are atheism-compatible interpretations that assign special status to consciousness, like the von Neumann–Wigner interpretation (which says conscious observation causes collapse), or Penrose and Hameroff’s orchestrated objective reduction theory (which if I understand right says that collapse causes consciousness).

There’s also no reason at all that atheists can’t prefer antirealist interpretations, like the original Copenhagen interpretation, QBism, Zeilinger and Brukner’s information-based interpretation, Wheeler’s “it from bit”, approach, etc etc etc.

I have no idea why you’re so obsessed with superdeterminism and Sabine Hossenfelder.

You also said, in #96:

Moreover, if we really ‘follow the math’ as Gordon implores us to do, and ask ourselves, “why should math even be applicable to the universe in the first place?”, we are led not to the insanity of the atheistic/naturalistic MWI as Gordon implies, but rather we are instead led to God.

Huh? Are you seriously unable to comprehend how math could work without God being involved? If so, that’s your problem, not mine.

Also of note, a lot of the ‘weirdness’ in quantum mechanics also evaporates for us once we realize that there is a very strong correspondence and/or correlation between the ‘weird’ actions we observe in quantum mechanics and some of the defining attributes of the immaterial mind, (namely ‘the attribute of ‘the experience of the now’, and the attribute of ‘free-will’)

…and exactly how does this interpretation of yours work? Waving your hands and saying “there is a very strong correspondence” may satisfy you, but it’s not in the same league with what I’d call a real interpretation.

Put it this way: one of the significant problems with MWI is that it’s hard to fully justify the Born rule for probabilities in it. Can you do better? How does your interpretation explain the Born rule (or can it)? For example, in the original Bell test (2 electrons in the spin-0 singlet state), why do the two spin measurements agree with probability 0.5 minus half the cosine of the angle between the two detectors? Not just why is there a correlation, but why that specific correlation?

Why does summing across a bunch of Feynman diagrams give such good predictions of how particles will interact? Why can’t two identical fermions occupy the same state (the Pauli exclusion principle), but identical bosons can? etc etc etc

These are the sorts of questions a real interpretation of QM should be able to answer. If you can’t answer questions like these, you don’t actually have an interpretation, you’ve just decided that QM fits well with your views without bothering to understand it or think hard about it first.
LOL

Right now, somewhere in Minnesota, a mental patient is furiously cutting and pasting from his manifesto…  :)  :p  :D

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2021,11:21   

I predict the "literature bluff" accusation from batshit77.

eta accusation not defense.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 29 2021,05:37   

&FP, 42a: The Limit On Mathematical Knowledge

Posted onMay 29, 2021 Authorkairosfocus

The core point is that Hilbert’s scheme collapsed, nicely summarised. The Godel incompleteness results and the Turing machine halting challenge made Mathematics irreducibly complex. So, Mathematics, too, is a venture of knowledge as warranted, credibly true (so reliable) belief, which must be open to correction.

An exercise of rational, responsible faith, not utter certainty on the whole, once a sufficiently complex system is on the table. (Yes, first duties of reason obtain . . . here, there be dragons that love chick peas [Cicero . . .].)

The defeasible [= defeat-able] framework for understanding knowledge extends to Mathematics. A fortiori to Computer Science and Physics, then onward across the spectrum of disciplines and praxis.

We walk by faith, and not by sight. The question, then — given the Agrippa trilemma —
Mohammadnursyamsu
May 29, 2021 at 3:49 am
Irreducibly complex mathematics, what a horrible idea.

Some mathematicians say they have found a way to avoid Godel’s incompleteness theorem. Something about deriving mathematics, including the mathematical operators, from zero.

I saw a video of him lecturing to students to forget about a creator. But I guess that is no problem, because the entire creator category is subjective anyway, so would not be part of science.

Again, what a totally horrible idea, that mathematics would be irreducibly complex.

LOL

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2021,06:56   

William J Murray
May 31, 2021 at 5:46 am
KF said:

WJM, as choices imply alternatives your snapshot points to forking at decision nodes. SB spots the same, in effect. The result is reduction of choice to which branch of the infini-verse one happens to be on.

This is demonstrative of what I’ve been talking about. I use a couple of analogies to give KM a general sense of how a resolution to the creation timeline dilemma might be understood, which would indicate that time is a personal experience, not a flow of the physical universe, and suddenly you think you understand the ontology well enough to render judgement on the logic of the analogies in correlation to the ontology.

You didn’t bother to ask any questions, like, “how does one have free will in the system you’re using these analogies to describe, because from the analogies I don’t see how it would exist?”

And logic is independent of ontology, so long as one recognises that distinct thoughts and import thus implication exists. Socrates is a man, Socrates is mortal, . . .

Socrates being mortal is not the premise here. An existential ontology is the premise. If you don’t understand the premise, you’re not in a position to make any logical inferences and conclusions; you’re in a position to ask further questions if something I say appears to lead to a logical problem.

Do I need to do your work for you, SB and KF? If either of you would stop defending and promoting and lecturing your own worldview for a minute, and tried to be at least somewhat charitable, rational and respectful, here’s how you might proceed:

“WJM, I realize you’re using analogies to get across an ontological concept that is difficult to fully understand. How would Free Will operate in your model?”

I won’t hold my breath. It’s like the two of you think you know everything about everything, even entire ontological concepts other people have, their motivations, their thoughts, etc. Your apparent utter lack of humility, charitability and respect is mind-boggling.
LOL

“In what pathologists are referring to as an historical first, an elderly Montserrat man has experienced both cerebral infarction and myocardial infarction simultaneously…”

Edited by stevestory on May 31 2021,07:57

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2021,07:01   

Out of respect for your scroll wheels I’m not going to copy and paste two consecutive BatShit77 posts that were made yesterday. But boy howdy, I’m sure the nurses were happy that he left them alone all day.  :p

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2021,18:43   

Paige
May 31, 2021 at 5:02 pm
Seversky

If I remember correctly, the only reference to an appearance before a crowd of 500 is in Paul. None of the other New Testament sources mention it and we certainly don’t have affidavits from any in that crowd testifying to what they saw. In my view that hardly warrants belief in the story.

That was my understanding as well. But I will also be the first to admit that I haven’t read every ancient text.

It reminds me of the claim of 500 people witnessing the levitating priest. One person saying that he and 500 others witnessed an event isn’t 501 eyewitness testimonies. It is one eyewitness testimony.
LOL

:p  :D  :)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 01 2021,05:59   

Karen McMannus
May 31, 2021 at 10:53 pm
KF: KM, you overlook…

Time and time again, WJM has told you, your ontological premises make the difference. Astonishing that you can’t see that. Unless…. well, you’re a troll.

You. Just. Don’t. Get. It.

And we laugh and we laugh.

Linky

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 02 2021,18:21   

Sandy
June 2, 2021 at 4:59 pm
New generations don’t care about logic. Only care about feeelings.

$100 says sandy is >60.

LOL

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: June 02 2021,18:46   

Feelings... Nothing more than feelings...

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 03 2021,17:47   

I don’t read Jerry’s comments because he’s dangerously stupid. By which I mean he’s so dumb that reading his comments could potentially trigger an embolism. But I gather from other people that he seems to believe that premarital sex is akin to pederasty?

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: June 03 2021,23:03   

Quote (stevestory @ June 03 2021,17:47)
I don’t read Jerry’s comments because he’s dangerously stupid. By which I mean he’s so dumb that reading his comments could potentially trigger an embolism. But I gather from other people that he seems to believe that premarital sex is akin to pederasty?

Yup. If we allow premarital sex, we have to allow 10 year olds to have sex. That is why there are so many 10 year olds, driving, voting and getting married.

15792 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (527) < ... 507 508 509 510 511 [512] 513 514 515 516 517 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]