RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (100) < ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... >   
  Topic: FL "Debate Thread", READ FIRST POST BEFORE PARTICIPATING PLZ< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:10   

Quote (dheddle @ Nov. 02 2009,15:00)
Quote (OgreMkV @ Nov. 02 2009,13:39)
Haven't we done this already?

I guess ID as science doesn't have a prayer.  I really wanted those questions answered too.  

Can we have more fun with Floyd then?

Hey Floyd, ever eat pork (including pork chops, bacon, canadian bacon, hot dogs, or pigs ears)?  That's literally forbidden in the bible...

Actually it is not illegal to eat pork, in the sense that it applies to any Christian. As an example of the mistake you are making, sacrificing animals for sin atonement is commanded in the OT but it would be an abomination and the mother-of-all blasphemes in the NT. You have to remember that the seminal event in Christian history, the incarnation, substitutional death and resurrection of Christ, means there was a phase shift between the OT and the NT. Why people think that there was not a radical difference from before Christ arrived and after he achieved redemption is--to say the least--puzzling.

Not to mention that, in this case, the NT literally states that all food is lawful.

And, not that I am especially happy about agreeing with FL, and not that I even know that I am because I will not be bothered to go back and read the previous posts, but just for a point of argument, the New Testament does not, at all, condone slavery.

I think the point is that if the bible is to be read literally, then there are significant problems with things that are OK in one context and not OK in another context.

If Floyd wants Genesis to be read as literal, then the entire OT must also be read as literal... which does include proscription against pork and taking of slaves.

He can't just pick and choose which part is to be taken literal and which part is not to be taken literal.  Unless, he exlains in great detail, what allows one part to be taken literally and the other part not to and how to tell the difference when it not explicitlly mentioned elsewhere in the bible.

But, that's a digression.  I agree.

Questions for you Floyd:

1) What is one hypothesis that ID proposes?
2) What is one prediction of ID that differs from evolutionary theory?  (In other words, what predictions made using ID would differ from predictions made from evolution.  PREDICTIONS, not statements like ‘live is designed’.)
3) Describe an experiment that could test this prediction (this test need not have been done yet).
4) What is one hypothesis of ID that has been tested and shown to be correct (this must have been tested)?
5) What is one piece of evidence that would falsify ID (in other words, what evidence proves ID to be incorrect)?
6) Dembski, Nelson, and Behe have both stated that ID as a scientific theory needs a lot of work and is not ready for the limelight.  How do you respond to that statement from three of the largest figures of ID theory?**

Now, if you can’t or won’t answer questions 1-5, then ID is not science and must (by definition) be excluded from any science class.  If can’t answer them correctly, ditto.

Please keep in mind that YOU want to argue SCIENCE, so you must argue using science’s rules.  Changing the definition of science is not a valid response.  Keep in mind that it has been tried, but those changes to science also allow the teaching of astrology and witchcraft in science classes (I don’t think you want that do you?  I can teach Wiccan.).

As I’m sure you’re aware (since you think Texas has such a great science program), 40% of all class time for any science class in Texas public schools must be ‘laboratory’.  

7)  Please describe a lab that my students could do that would show ID in action and be able to show that ID works.

Finally, regardless of your ability to articulate a valid argument or not, there is at least one, non-scientific problem with ID in the classroom.  At the present time, it is illegal.  In Kitzmiller vs. Dover, Judge Jones, a federal judge, declared ID not to be science and including it in a classroom violated the establishment clause of the first amendment.  Basically, it’s not only that it’s not science, but ID promotes a SPECIFIC religion and that is not allowed in public schools.  You can’t teach Christianity in school any more than I can teach Wiccan in school.  

**At a 2002 conference on Intelligent Design, leading ID scholar William Dembski said: “Because of ID’s outstanding success at gaining a cultural hearing, the scientific research part of ID is now lagging behind.”  http://www.iscid.org/papers/Dembski_DisciplinedScience_102802.pdf

And

ID theoretician Paul Nelson wrote in Touchstone, a Christian magazine: “We don’t have such a theory right now, and that’s a problem. Without a theory, it’s very hard to know where to direct your research focus. Right now, we’ve got a bag of powerful intuitions, and a handful of notions such as ‘irreducible complexity’ and ‘specified complexity’ – but, as yet, no general theory of biological design.”
http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/issue.php?id=76

And

“I quite agree that my argument against Darwinism does not add up to a logical proof,” he [Behe] says…  http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/MasterPlanned.html

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

FrankH

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:10   

And, not that I am especially happy about agreeing with FL, and not that I even know that I am because I will not be bothered to go back and read the previous posts, but just for a point of argument, the New Testament does not, at all, condone slavery.

I have no doubt it was not in favor of it, but like the NT changes the OT here, why is Floyd so insistent about the OT when it comes to Genesis but so willing to wipe away the OT when it comes to slavery?

Sounds like "selective reading" to me.

--------------
Marriage is not a lifetime commitment, it's a life sentence!

FrankH

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:15   

Quote (FloydLee @ Nov. 02 2009,15:09)
Hmm.  Now to move on.  :)

Of course Floyd but please note, the NT does not Condemn Slavery either.

--------------

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:20   

Quote (FrankH @ Nov. 02 2009,15:10)

I have no doubt it was not in favor of it, but like the NT changes the OT here, why is Floyd so insistent about the OT when it comes to Genesis but so willing to wipe away the OT when it comes to slavery?

Sounds like "selective reading" to me.

Like I said I haven't gone back to read the posts from the month or longer I've been gone. But there is no question at all that as far as the OT is concerned it was acceptable, under the correct circumstances, for the Jews to own slaves. And to commit ethnic cleansing. And to stone homosexuals and adulterers. It's inescapable. The error I always fight is when someone argues that, according to the bible, those things must still be lawful for Christians, but our cafeteria-style selection process causes us to hypocritically ignore those inconvenient legalities--when in truth such things are manifestly illegal for all Christians.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:23   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Nov. 02 2009,13:10)
He can't just pick and choose which part is to be taken literal and which part is not to be taken literal.  Unless, he exlains in great detail, what allows one part to be taken literally and the other part not to and how to tell the difference when it not explicitlly mentioned elsewhere in the bible.

Actually, he can do this - it's what most Christians do, albeit less crudely than "pick and choose" implies.  

Of course, loss of the "I'm more literal than you" card would cause problems for his whole argument.  Most Christians accept that, if the bible says one thing and reality says another, a literal interpretation of the bible would be silly.  There aren't many Christians who think the Earth has four corners and rests on pillars.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:25   

Quote (FrankH @ Nov. 02 2009,15:15)

Yes it does. The second greatest commandment for the Christian, and the first when it comes to how humans are to behave toward one another, is to love our neighbor as ourself. Slavery is manifestly incompatible with Jesus' primary instruction for human relations.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:29   

Quote (dheddle @ Nov. 02 2009,15:25)

Yes it does. The second greatest commandment for the Christian, and the first when it comes to how humans are to behave toward one another, is to love our neighbor as ourself. Slavery is manifestly incompatible with Jesus' primary instruction for human relations.

Nice of God to change his mind.  :)

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:31   

Where in the OT or NT does anyone say that slavery might not be a good idea?

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

FrankH

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:33   

Color it however you want.  I disagree it condemns slavery.  Slave traders, yes.  Jesus also said that he was to reinforce the Laws of Moses, not repeal them.

Seems to me that the NT told the Slave Master to "Love" their slaves.

But then again, I also think that any literal reading of the NT and OT if they ever two parts for some god, shows a bi-polar god.

--------------

OgreMkV

Quote (JohnW @ Nov. 02 2009,15:23)
Quote (OgreMkV @ Nov. 02 2009,13:10)

Actually, he can do this - it's what most Christians do, albeit less crudely than "pick and choose" implies.  

Of course, loss of the "I'm more literal than you" card would cause problems for his whole argument.  Most Christians accept that, if the bible says one thing and reality says another, a literal interpretation of the bible would be silly.  There aren't many Christians who think the Earth has four corners and rests on pillars.

Hmmm... I agree with this.  And some Christians will take the parts that they want about God's love and leave the rest or whatever it is they want to say.  (I could go on about which parts get left for a bit...)

Anyway, I also agree with you that in FLoyd's situation, he's made the case that you can't pick and choose which parts of the Bible are literal.  He's stated that all of it is...

Which (BTW Floyd) is why ID is not science and not allowed in my classroom.  Because it promotes a specific religion over other religions violating the establishment clause of the US Constitution.

--------------

Richardthughes

That's a nice endorsement for homosexuality, then.

You can't pick and choose, Dave.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:52   

Quote (FrankH @ Nov. 02 2009,15:33)

Color it however you want.  I disagree it condemns slavery.  Slave traders, yes.  Jesus also said that he was to reinforce the Laws of Moses, not repeal them.

Seems to me that the NT told the Slave Master to "Love" their slaves.

But then again, I also think that any literal reading of the NT and OT if they ever two parts for some god, shows a bi-polar god.

Actually he never said that. And in effect he replaced them all (Moses' laws) with a fuller revelation of the law. Moses' law against adultery got replaced, in a direct statement, by Jesus' law against lust. Moses' law against murder, in a direct statement, by Jesus' law against hate. Moses' law on divorce was effectively replaced with: never. Laws on tithing were replaced by: give what you can joyfully, or don't even bother. Moses' pattern "Don't do this or that" was in fact entirely abandoned, replaced by Jesus' tougher laws concerned what you think rather than what you do or don't do.

The law that maintains each jot and tittle is Jesus' law, not Moses'. Following the pattern, the OT is a type or shadow of the NT. If you take the time to study Jesus' law, as his teaching on what is sin, which is quite different from the Mosaic law, and if you understand Paul's proper emphasis on the true gospel as opposed to an imaginary social gospel--then you can grasp why there is no explicit condemnation of slavery. If you are interested, I have a small post on this subject here.

It is not a bi-polar God, but one who demonstrated through the Jews that even the most privileged nation will not be able to save itself through obedience. That a savior was necessary or all are lost.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,15:57   

The contortions of language and logic necessary to maintain the illusion of a non-self-contradictory Bible always amuse me.

Please continue.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,16:04   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 02 2009,16:57)
The contortions of language and logic necessary to maintain the illusion of a non-self-contradictory Bible always amuse me.

Please continue.

Beyond pretzel logic.

http://www.bettybowers.com/bettybowersbible.jpg

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

FloydLee

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,16:07   

What is one hypothesis that ID proposes?

This one......

Have you read Gonzalez's and Richards' book The Privileged Planet? It's an excellent book, and the film version of it was even shown at the Smithsonian Institution.  

It presents one variety of the Intelligent Design hypothesis that's known as the cosmological or "fine-tuning" ID hypothesis.  

The fact that our universe, our galaxy, our solar system, our planet, our EVERYTHING, is so very finely tuned in dozens of ways, leads to a rational inference that our universe (including solar system, planet Earth, etc) is the product of intelligent design.

And in their book, Gonzalez and Richards specifically write about how to Falsify their ID hypothesis.

"The most decisive way to falsify our argument as a whole would be to find a distant and very different environment, which, while quite hostile to life, nevertheless offers a superior platform for making as many diverse scientific discoveries as does our local environment.

"The opposite of this would have the same effect—finding an extremely habitable and inhabited place that was a lousy platform for observation.

"Less devastating but still relevant, would be discoveries that contradict individual parts of our argument. Most such discoveries would also show that the conditions for habitability of complex life are much wider and more diverse than we claim.

"For instance, discovering intelligent life inside a gas giant with an opaque atmosphere, near an X-ray emitting star in the Galactic center, or on a planet without a dark night would do it serious damage.

"Or take a less extreme example. We suggested in Chapter 1 that conditions that produce perfect solar eclipses also contribute to the habitability of a planetary environment.

"Thus, if intelligent extraterrestrial beings exist, they probably enjoy good to perfect solar eclipses.
However, if we find complex, intelligent, indigenous life on a planet without a largish natural satellite, this plank in our argument would collapse.

"Our argument presupposes that all complex life, at least in this universe, will almost certainly be based on carbon.

"Find a non-carbon based life form, and one of our presuppositions collapses. It’s clear that a number of discoveries would either directly or indirectly contradict our argument.

"Similarly, there are future discoveries that would count in favor of it. Virtually any discovery in astrobiology is likely to bear on our argument one way or the other. If we find still more strict conditions that are important for habitability, this will strengthen our case."

---pages 314-315

So now, we clearly have a scientifically falsifiable ID hypothesis.   It can be falsified via observation.  This ID hypothesis is a scientific hypothesis.

In an Evolution News And Views article, Jay Richards and Jonathan Witt quote the above snippet from the Privileged Planet book, as well as offering clarifying comments on what terms like "testable" and "falsification" mean:
"Empirical testability" is the genus, of which falsification and confirmation are species. Something is empirically testable when it is either falsifiable, confirmable, or both.

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2006....ca.html  

"Science is all about what is testable, not necessarily what is naturalistic."  (chemist Dr. John Millam.)  

I'm just bumping this all up for convenience as I try to post on it.  Anyway, you do have your ID hypothesis there Ogre.

rossum

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,16:10   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Nov. 02 2009,15:10)
6) Dembski, Nelson, and Behe have both stated that ID as a scientific theory needs a lot of work and is not ready for the limelight.  How do you respond to that statement from three of the largest figures of ID theory?

You left out Philip Johnson:
I also don’t think that there is really a theory of intelligent design at the present time to propose as a comparable alternative to the Darwinian theory, which is, whatever errors it might contain, a fully worked out scheme. There is no intelligent design theory that’s comparable. Working out a positive theory is the job of the scientific people that we have affiliated with the movement. Some of them are quite convinced that it’s doable, but that’s for them to prove... No product is ready for competition in the educational world.

Berkley Science Review (Spring 2006)

Make that four of the largest figures in ID.

--------------
The ultimate truth is that there is no ultimate truth.

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,16:21   

Lou,

Why contortions? It is only so if you view Jesus as an intercalation. That there was a “before”, then a period when Jesus was around, and then after he was gone we more or less we went back. But I would argue that is not only the improper way to view redemptive history—but that it should not make sense to anyone, even biblical and Christian critics. I would argue that it should be obvious to anyone who studies Christianity, even unbelievers, that Christianity self-consistently holds that when Christ said: it is finished that everything changed radically. It does not mean the OT is worthless, not by a long shot, for it presents, through God’s dealings with the Jews, the context of Jesus’ arrival and his ministry and a clear picture of man’s depravity. But is means that the OT described a way for a now extinct nation and a specific race to live, and the NT describes a way for Christians to live, and there is not reason whatsoever for the two to align.

FL,

I kind of enjoyed the Privileged Planet and don’t believe that Gonzalez and Richards made any gross errors in the book. With at least one obvious exception—the so-called falsifiability claims. These are not scientific falsifiability arguments. They are of the “I double dare you” type challenge, which has no place in science. Examples can be found on both sides of the evolution/ID-debate. “You can falsify irreducible complexity, just demonstrate how the flagellum evolved.” Or “You can falsify evolution, just find a Precambrian rabbit.” Scientific falsifiability does not follow this pattern. We don't say: "If Al Sharpton ever floats off the planet then gravity is falsified." The scientific pattern is this one: If you do this experiment with this equipment and you get result A then my theory is falsified. None of the Gonzalez and Richards test follow the accepted pattern used by scientists. They resemble the Al Sharpton pattern.

EDIT: typo correction. (And then some more.)

--------------

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,16:22   

Quote (FloydLee @ Nov. 02 2009,14:07)
And in their book, Gonzalez and Richards specifically write about how to Falsify their ID hypothesis.

"The most decisive way to falsify our argument as a whole would be to find a distant and very different environment, which, while quite hostile to life, nevertheless offers a superior platform for making as many diverse scientific discoveries as does our local environment.

I went through this earlier, but here it is again for you to ignore a second time:

1.  How do we define "diverse scientific discoveries"?
2.  Can we count them?  If so, show us your list.
3.  How do we define "distant and very different environment"?
4.  How do we count the "diverse scientific discoveries" we haven't made, but which could be made elsewhere?

ETA: I agree with Heddle's "Al Sharpton" example also.  Gonzales and Richards are saying their hypothesis holds water unless we can say otherwise.  Similarly, if we watched Rev. Al long enough and closely enough, we might see him levitate a little bit.  Therefore there is no such thing as gravity.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,16:24   

I've tried to educate FL, among other IDC advocates, concerning what falsifiability is. The message never seems to get through.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,16:31   

Please describe, in detail, what observations in this universe can be made that differentiate between design and evolution.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,16:40   

Quote (dheddle @ Nov. 02 2009,17:21)
Lou,

Why contortions? It is only so if you view Jesus as an intercalation. That there was a “before”, then a period when Jesus was around, and then after he was gone we more or less we went back. But I would argue that is not only the improper way to view redemptive history—but that it should not make sense to anyone, even biblical and Christian critics. I would argue that it should be obvious to anyone who studies Christianity, even unbelievers, that Christianity self-consistently holds that when Christ said: it is finished that everything changed radically. It does not mean the OT is worthless, not by a long shot, for it presents, through God’s dealings with the Jews, the context of Jesus’ arrival and his ministry and a clear picture of man’s depravity. But is means that the OT described a way for a now extinct nation and a specific race to live, and the NT describes a way for Christians to live, and there is not reason whatsoever for the two to align.

Thank you, Heddle. I appreciate your indulging me, but I was really directing my remarks to Tardbucket. I'll try to remember to be more specific in the future.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

nmgirl

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,16:51   

Quote (JohnW @ Nov. 02 2009,16:22)
Quote (FloydLee @ Nov. 02 2009,14:07)

I went through this earlier, but here it is again for you to ignore a second time:

1.  How do we define "diverse scientific discoveries"?
2.  Can we count them?  If so, show us your list.
3.  How do we define "distant and very different environment"?
4.  How do we count the "diverse scientific discoveries" we haven't made, but which could be made elsewhere?

ETA: I agree with Heddle's "Al Sharpton" example also.  Gonzales and Richards are saying their hypothesis holds water unless we can say otherwise.  Similarly, if we watched Rev. Al long enough and closely enough, we might see him levitate a little bit.  Therefore there is no such thing as gravity.

I would add a #5:
How do you define a "superior platform"?

FloydLee

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,17:42   

Anyway, I also agree with you that in FLoyd's situation, he's made the case that you can't pick and choose which parts of the Bible are literal.

Here's the deal.  You can't just pick and choose which parts of the Bible are NON-literal, either.  (Like arbitrarily and falsely claiming that Genesis is non-literal, for example!)

Here's a simple rule for you to determine when to interpret something literally, and when to interpret something non-literally.
Literal is a commitment that the meanings expressed in a biblical text are true and have reference to what is real unless the context indicates otherwise.

Literal is an expectation that the words are meant to be understood and used in their primary, matter-of-fact sense unless the context indicates otherwise.

-----Elliott E. Johnson

There you go.  It's considered literal "unless the context indicates otherwise."  

(Incidentally, even the OEC astronomer Dr. Hugh Ross subscribes to this rule of interpretation.  You don't even have to be a YEC!!)

Okay, so now you have a simple, easy way to make some responsible biblical interpretative decisions, Ogre.  

Remember, even the Mosaic dietary laws you were talking about, are very literal.  Check the text and context, you'll see that's true.  Those were literal commandments, not metaphors or allegories, that were given to the nation of Israel by Moses.

However (1) those dietary laws were directed to specific people at a specific time period, and

(2) the Mosaic dietary laws, ceremonial laws, etc, were fulfilled in Jesus Christ, which is why it's okay for Christians (those who trust and accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior) to eat hot dogs (preferably with mustard).
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused, if it is received with thanksgiving;  for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.   (1 Tim. 4:4-5)

That answers all your stuff about pork and pepperoni.  All done on that; let's keep moving.

FloydLee

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,17:49   

BTW: I love how mealy mouthed that justification is.  "In context" that's rich coming from you.  

There is one other alternative.  The whole thing is non-literal, which is where I and I think most everyone else is.  Personally, I'd submit that the whole thing is out of context for today.

You've already admitted you don't have to read the entire Bible as literal to be a Christian, therefore everything you've argued for over the last 90 odd pages is moot.

Enough.  I think we've all seen enough.

Now, You have to defend ID as science.  Go!

--------------

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,18:22   

Quote (FloydLee @ Nov. 02 2009,17:42)
the Mosaic dietary laws, ceremonial laws, etc, were fulfilled in Jesus Christ...

One of the things that really kills me about religious folks is that they can say things like that and apparently believe that it actually makes sense.

It doesn't make sense at all. What does "fulfilled" mean here? How do you "fulfill" dietary dictates by simply ignoring them? When did JC discuss these laws, and how did he justify ignoring/fulfilling them?

Just reading that sentence a few times shows me how totally useless it would be to try to discuss anything with someone who could say that and not comprehend that it makes no sense at all!

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,18:37   

Quote (FloydLee @ Nov. 02 2009,15:42)
Here's a simple rule for you to determine when to interpret something literally, and when to interpret something non-literally.

Literal is a commitment that the meanings expressed in a biblical text are true and have reference to what is real unless the context indicates otherwise.

Literal is an expectation that the words are meant to be understood and used in their primary, matter-of-fact sense unless the context indicates otherwise.

-----Elliott E. Johnson

There you go.  It's considered literal "unless the context indicates otherwise."  

I think you meant this:

Literal is a commitment that the meanings expressed in a biblical text are true and have reference to what is real unless Floyd Lee indicates otherwise.

Literal is an expectation that the words are meant to be understood and used in their primary, matter-of-fact sense unless Floyd Lee indicates otherwise.

--------------

Chayanov

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,22:35   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 02 2009,18:22)

Quote (FloydLee @ Nov. 02 2009,17:42)
the Mosaic dietary laws, ceremonial laws, etc, were fulfilled in Jesus Christ...

One of the things that really kills me about religious folks is that they can say things like that and apparently believe that it actually makes sense.

It doesn't make sense at all. What does "fulfilled" mean here? How do you "fulfill" dietary dictates by simply ignoring them? When did JC discuss these laws, and how did he justify ignoring/fulfilling them?

Just reading that sentence a few times shows me how totally useless it would be to try to discuss anything with someone who could say that and not comprehend that it makes no sense at all!

Well, there's Matthew 5:17-18:

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

Oh wait. That actually argues the opposite. I don't know where they get it from.

--------------
Help! Marxist literary critics are following me!

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,23:00   

À la carte Christianity.

--------------

Chayanov

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,23:04   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Nov. 02 2009,23:00)
À la carte Christianity.

It's like a buffet of dogma.

"I'll have the hating gays and oppression of women, but pass on not eating pork and don't mix fabrics."

--------------
Help! Marxist literary critics are following me!

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2009,23:30   

Quote (dheddle @ Nov. 02 2009,16:25)

And yet, Paul seems to let slavery slide past. How do you read Philemon? (Ans. Very quickly!)

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

2975 replies since Sep. 12 2009,22:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (100) < ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]