RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 338 339 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 347 348 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2011,03:36   

Read this from the Bias Against Common Sense thread and tell me that Alzheimer's isn't setting in:  
If I die tonight, I want this on the record: If I couldn’t be a Canuck and managed to bear the unbearable sorrow, I’d be a true Yankee hillbilly and proud of it. Do you think we Canucks have so far stood off the Sharia lawfare crowd, with all their money and threats, by worrying much what smarmy (and sometimes vicious) tax burdens think?

Denyse, you are a hillbilly, from the northern clan.  I think she means university professors when she refers to "tax burdens".  She can't seem to face the fact that intelligence and education are known to favor liberals.

That woman is "post modernism" defined.  Nothing is real, all is opinion and if you don't share her exact opinion, you're an evil tax sucker imposing your beliefs on the world.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2011,06:11   

Kairosflatus:

In short, the Glasgow Coma Scale [GCS] is actually a case in point of the reliability and scientific credibility of the inference to design; even in life and death situations.

Why do I say that?

You're functioning verbally between grades 3 and 4?

Grade 3: Inappropriate words. (Random or exclamatory articulated speech, but no conversational exchange)

Grade 4: Confused. (The patient responds to questions coherently but there is some disorientation and confusion.)

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2011,06:26   

The real question is where KF's opus rates on the Bristol scale.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2011,08:06   

Quote (Amadan @ Feb. 10 2011,06:26)
The real question is where KF's opus rates on the Bristol scale.

All of the above?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2011,09:53   

ID: it's a Movement!

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2011,13:24   

Quote (Amadan @ Feb. 10 2011,09:53)
ID: it's a Movement!

An certainly KF has dived deeply down into it and yet at the same time has a good handle on it.  I think that at this point, the only one that can have a good positivbe response and properly handle a Kf posting is Mr. Whipple...

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2011,14:34   

LOL, I'm starting to understand KF better:
a red herring led away to a strawman, creating the false and misleading, ad hominem laced impression that I do not know what I am talking about on this topic.

So he basically admits that if you disagree with anything he claims then you are attacking him personally - therefore, from his perspective, anything except total submission to his authority is an Ad Hominem.

KF - the unquestionable authority on ... well everything apparently?

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2011,15:39   

i am sure that he knows a lot about goatse

everything else.... well, let's put it this way.  I would like to see Gordon Mullings fight Gordon Mullings.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2011,21:33   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Feb. 10 2011,23:39)
i am sure that he knows a lot about goatse

everything else.... well, let's put it this way.  I would like to see Gordon Mullings fight Gordon Mullings.

ID's Tweedle dum and dumber.

He knows about statues with penises as well don't forget

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2011,22:05   

Kairosfocus

The problem with that myth is that it starts way too late, as I pointed out already: fitness slopes with possibility of improvement are WITHIN islands of function. The root problem is to first get to shores of an isolated island of function in a truly large config space.
A Carribean could know that coconuts don't have to climb islands from from the bottom of the sea and that they don't have to swim actively to even get to his home island. Floating around is enough and has been sufficient for thousands of years. On the shores of Montserrat one may of course get the impression that they must have been placed there by some kind of intelligence1).
1)provided that the observer is an intellectual islander self insulated from reason through decades of bible studies ignoring any other opinion and living under the impression that he is surounded by a sea of oil of ad hominem full of red herings with burning strawmen floating on its surface poisining the atmosphere with atheism.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2011,11:41   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Feb. 10 2011,13:39)
iI would like to see Gordon Mullings fight Gordon Mullings.

I'm enjoying seeing Gordon Mullings fight reality.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2011,13:00   

Quote (JohnW @ Feb. 11 2011,11:41)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Feb. 10 2011,13:39)

He may be fighting reality, but Gordo is losing... rather badly.

--------------

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2011,22:29   

Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 11 2011,13:00)

Windmills are indeed part of reality.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2011,23:37   

Quote (sparc @ Feb. 11 2011,22:29)

I've tried to summarize it but BA77's TARD would lose to much if not cited verbatim. Even emphasizing isn't possible without diluting his crystal clear stream of arguments  
bornagain77
02/11/2011
11:03 pm

Bruce David, this tidbit may help you see what sets Christianity so dramatically apart from other ‘religious/spiritual’ paths;

The Bible being unique in its correct prediction for the universe’s transcendent creation, as well as Historical/archeological verification, and precisely fulfilled prophecies, are compelling hard facts in and of themselves, to set the Bible apart from other religions; yet there is one more piece of solid physical evidence which bears powerful witness to the Bible’s validity and also sheds an undeniable light on God’s deep personal commitment to man; The Shroud of Turin. The Shroud of Turin clearly points out a fact that sets Christianity completely apart from all other religions of the world. The fact is that, as I’ve heard said by many preachers before, you can go to the graves of all the other founders of all the other major religions of the world and find the remains of a body, yet, as the Shroud of Turin stubbornly testifies despite many attempts to refute the Shroud’s authenticity, if you go to the tomb of Jesus you will not find the remains of a body because Jesus has risen from the dead.

Burial places of all the other founders of the world religions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B....._religions

Shroud of Turin in 3-D – The Holographic Experience – Face & Body – video
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5889891/

The Center Of The Universe Is Life! – General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, Entropy and The Shroud Of Turin – video
http://www.metacafe.com/w/5070355

Turin Shroud Enters 3D Age – Front and Back 3-D images – articles and videos
https://docs.google.com/documen....7RwWAfg

Bruce David perhaps you can rationalize some false excuse for how the image formed on the Shroud, but, after thorough examination, I hold that something very extraordinary happened in the tomb of Jesus to form that image, and to make so many of Christ’s followers willing to die horrid deaths for witnessing the fact that Jesus had in fact resurrected from the dead!

Indeed facts and hard evidence.

--------------

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2011,23:42   

BTW is BA77 catholic? or do US protestant fundies trust papist relics nowadays?

--------------

- William Dembski -

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2011,04:40   

From a much more factually reliable source than the Bible:

FRANCIS: It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression.

REG: Symbolic of his struggle against reality.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2011,04:46   

[Sayeth Batshit]: The Shroud of Turin clearly points out a fact that sets Christianity completely apart from all other religions of the world. The fact is that, as I’ve heard said by many preachers before, you can go to the graves of all the other founders of all the other major religions of the world and find the remains of a body, yet, as the Shroud of Turin stubbornly testifies despite many attempts to refute the Shroud’s authenticity, if you go to the tomb of Jesus you will not find the remains of a body because Jesus has risen from the dead.

Batshit attempts to link to a Wikipedia article concerning the burial places of the founders of all the world's religions. In the article we find:

"Bodhidharma (early 6th cent. CE) is generally regarded as the founder of Zen Buddhism...Soon after his death, someone supposedly witnessed Bodhidharma walking back towards India barefoot and with a single shoe in hand. His grave was later exhumed, and according to legend, the only thing found in it was the shoe he left behind. Because of uncertainty about the precise physical location as well as ambiguity about what might be left of Bodhidharma at his burial site, no burial site has been venerated in the Zen tradition."

"Hinduism is a religion of approximately one billion adherents representing the third largest religion of the world, yet it has no single 'founder'."

"Taoism was founded by Laozi, the author of the Tao Te Ching...He is believed to have lived out the rest of his days in communion with Nature, and some Taoist traditions hold that he achieved immortality. Whether he underwent death or not is not made clear by all parts of the tradition, and if he did, it was in some remote area, far from civilization at that time."

"Zoroastrianism was founded by Zoroaster. There is no consensus as to where Zoroaster lived, much less where he died or what became of his remains. Most believe that he died in Balkh while he was praying. When he died, his entire body became a flame, as fire in Zoroastrianism is very important." The article on Zoroastrianism itself notes that it was "formerly among the world's largest religions."

"The exact location of the grave of Moses is unknown..."

"Many other religions like the old Celtic religion, Shinto in Japan, the Bon religion in Tibet, and indigenous religions of Africa, Australia, and the Americas — have traditions that extend back before the recorded history of those places. It is unclear whether any of these had founders; more likely, they were modified by several and evolved over the course of millennia."

Oops.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2011,14:27   

Is BA77 refering to near autoerotic fatalities as proof for the christian god?  
bornagain77
02/12/2011
10:44 pm

Bruce David, I would be very careful if I were you to just how far you wandered away from Christ, for as appealing as other spiritual paths may seem, and the gloss of truth they may possess, the fact is that non-Judeo-Christian cultures have an extreme rarity of the extremely pleasant Near Death Experiences commonly reported in Judeo-Christian cultures.

--------------

- William Dembski -

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2011,14:59   

Quote (sparc @ Feb. 13 2011,20:27)
bornagain77
02/12/2011

Bruce David, I would be very careful if I were you to just how far you wandered away from Christ, for as appealing as other spiritual paths may seem, and the gloss of truth they may possess, the fact is that non-Judeo-Christian cultures have an extreme rarity of the extremely pleasant Near Death Experiences commonly reported in Judeo-Christian cultures.

More so, if there was a god, he should be universal, right? Every human being ruled by the same god, whatever they believe in. So NDE should be universal as well, right? If there is an afterlife, it can't be restricted to the particular beings that believe in it specificaly, whatever the form.

So why more oh so arousing NDEs among judeo-christian cultures? Could it be that this whole NDE stuff is nothing more than a culturaly induced hallucination? Or just plain lies to confort relatives?

Anyway, BA should ask David Caradine about hot, steamy NDEs...

ps: I used to have this hypothesis that at the moment of death, the human brain starts a sensory "loop", in which time stretches and gives an illusion of eternal life, at least until all brain tissues are deprived of oxygen and finaly die out. Very gradual sensation.

Then I stopped magic mushrooms altogether...

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

MichaelJ

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2011,19:10   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Feb. 14 2011,05:59)
Quote (sparc @ Feb. 13 2011,20:27)
bornagain77
02/12/2011

More so, if there was a god, he should be universal, right? Every human being ruled by the same god, whatever they believe in. So NDE should be universal as well, right? If there is an afterlife, it can't be restricted to the particular beings that believe in it specificaly, whatever the form.

So why more oh so arousing NDEs among judeo-christian cultures? Could it be that this whole NDE stuff is nothing more than a culturaly induced hallucination? Or just plain lies to confort relatives?

Anyway, BA should ask David Caradine about hot, steamy NDEs...

ps: I used to have this hypothesis that at the moment of death, the human brain starts a sensory "loop", in which time stretches and gives an illusion of eternal life, at least until all brain tissues are deprived of oxygen and finaly die out. Very gradual sensation.

Then I stopped magic mushrooms altogether...

Obviously the non-Christians are seeing hell.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2011,19:26   

Actually, in the stuff that passes as literature in the fundamentalist community, I've seen at least a couple of reports of NDEs where the victim claims to have briefly been in hell. These are used to counter the New Age kinds of claims of generic sweetness and light in the hereafter.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2011,21:38   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Feb. 13 2011,17:26)
Actually, in the stuff that passes as literature in the fundamentalist community, I've seen at least a couple of reports of NDEs where the victim claims to have briefly been in hell. These are used to counter the New Age kinds of claims of generic sweetness and light in the hereafter.

There was an explanation either here or on PT a while back about seeing light when you're dying, to the effect that optic nerve responses are wired backwards, i.e., no signal (default) is interpreted as light, and signal means "It's dark!"

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2011,23:01   

Quote (fnxtr @ Feb. 13 2011,21:38)

There was an explanation either here or on PT a while back about seeing light when you're dying, to the effect that optic nerve responses are wired backwards, i.e., no signal (default) is interpreted as light, and signal means "It's dark!"

So what they're actually seeing in an NDE is a sort of photographic negative effect?  Instead of traveling along a tunnel towards the light, they're really plunging into a black hole?  Kewl!

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 14 2011,01:30   

The Dodgenator speaks!
GilDodgen
02/13/2011
10:30 pm

P.S.: I am a former militant atheist, but now attend a semi-charismatic Christian church in Southern California, at which I’ll be presenting a lecture concerning the logical, mathematical, and evidential deconstruction of Darwinian orthodoxy a week from Monday. If anyone is interested, I’ll upload my PowerPoint presentation at my website:

http://www.worldchampionshipcheckers.com

and provide down-link information.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 14 2011,01:59   

I am a former militant atheist

Just wondering, is there any trace of Mr. Dodgen's scandalous past as a "militant atheist" whatever that is?

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 14 2011,06:15   

Quote (Alan Fox @ Feb. 14 2011,01:59)

Just wondering, is there any trace of Mr. Dodgen's scandalous past as a "militant atheist" whatever that is?

I'm afraid that trying to imagine Mr Dodgen's atheist militancy simply brings to mind Dennis Healey's famous squelching of Sir Geoffrey Howe, that being attacked by him was akin to being savaged by a dead sheep.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 14 2011,06:29   

Quote (Seversky @ Feb. 14 2011,06:15)

I'm afraid that trying to imagine Mr Dodgen's atheist militancy simply brings to mind Dennis Healey's famous squelching of Sir Geoffrey Howe, that being attacked by him was akin to being savaged by a dead sheep.

There may be.  Several years ago, Mr. Dodgen was the editor of Hang Gliding magazine.  He got forced out under unpleasant circumstances which I don't know about, but it may be that he found Jesus and became as obnoxious in real life as he is on UD and was thus "expelled".

Here's an example of his pre-Jesus work:

http://www.willswing.com/reviews/review.asp?reqReviewIdx=falcon

Not too bad, actually.  Samples of his present work are all over UD.  Too bad, actually.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 14 2011,06:33   

After one of the various times that the DI claimed that Jonathan Wells once was an advocate of "Darwinism", I wrote the author and asked where I might read the materials that Wells wrote in that phase of his life.

I got no reply.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 14 2011,06:39   

Quote (keiths @ Feb. 14 2011,02:30)
The Dodgenator speaks!

GilDodgen
02/13/2011
10:30 pm

P.S.: I am a former militant atheist, but now attend a semi-charismatic Christian church in Southern California, at which I’ll be presenting a lecture concerning the logical, mathematical, and evidential deconstruction of Darwinian orthodoxy a week from Monday. If anyone is interested, I’ll upload my PowerPoint presentation at my website:

http://www.worldchampionshipcheckers.com

and provide down-link information.

Will the choir be there?

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 14 2011,06:52   

Quote (fnxtr @ Feb. 13 2011,22:38)

Years back there was discussion of the fact that consumption of a significant dose of ketamine produces many of the elements of an NDE - viewing oneself from out of one's body, tunnel of light, encountering loved ones, etc.

Ketamine profoundly blocks NMDA receptors in the hippocampus. These cells are also extremely vulnerable to blockade and death due to anoxia - the first to go during an anoxic episode.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 338 339 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 347 348 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]