RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 333 334 335 336 337 [338] 339 340 341 342 343 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Sol3a1

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,05:43   

Quote (Mark Frank @ Jan. 28 2011,01:20)
Seversky and Sol3a1

Thanks for your links on slavery and Christianity.  I am feeling a bit weak at the prospect of more debate with Stephenb and will leave it at the brief comment I made on UD.  I hope I didn't put you to too much unnecessary work

No problem at all.

That's how I found out about the very Biblical institution of slavery.

What you're feeling is not that you're not up to debating on the merits but it is more you don't want to get in a pissing match with a prick.

I agree that you did a good job and acquitted yourself very well at that site.

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,06:57   

Seversky and Sol3a1

Thanks for your links on slavery and Christianity.  I am feeling a bit weak at the prospect of more debate with Stephenb and will leave it at the brief comment I made on UD.  I hope I didn't put you to too much unnecessary work

Not a problem, and I understand how you feel.

StephenB and others at UD are continually asserting the existence of an objective morality, usually as the sole property of Christianity, but have been unable to justify either claim so far, C S Lewis notwithstanding.

Comments by vjtorley and others about atheists lacking agreed answers to moral questions lose any critical force in light of the vehement and sometimes violent disagreements over theological differences between Christian denominations, even though they are all supposed to be "singing from the same hymn-sheet".

The issue of slavery is a case in question.  Christians both defended it and campaigned against it with both sides claiming scriptural justification for their respective positions.  Apparently, for an omniscient and omnipotent deity, God did a pretty poor job of making his meaning clear.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,07:28   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Jan. 28 2011,06:15)
O'Dreary flunks reading comprehension 101 and takes CreationSafaris with her.  From the Flying Reptile Egg thread:      
Jonathan Amos reports at BBC News (20 January 2011) on a “Fossil female pterosaur found with preserved egg“. Wonderful news, and note this:

"The egg indicates this ancient flying reptile was a female, and that realisation has allowed researchers to sex these creatures for the first time."

"Writing in Science magazine, the palaeontologists make some broad statements about differences in pterosaurs, including the observation that only males sported a head-crest."

“Broad” statements indeed, about the head-crest. They couldn’t really be sure unless they could sex a flock, and there’s a risk of being led off course.

"The state of the egg’s shell suggests it was well developed and that Mrs T must have been very close to laying it when she died."

Ok so far.  Then we get the rest of the OP:      
CreationSafaris has an interesting comment on the risks of storytelling:

"Actually, it was Daddy Darwinopterus taking his turn sitting on the egg. Back then, you see, pterosaurs shared parenting responsibilities. How do we know? We don’t, and neither do the reporters …"

The sad thing is, this find is so good, why mess with empty speculations?

Good one!  Daddy Darwinopterus was just taking his turn egg-sitting and he died just before he laid it!

I score this as a two-fer.

Oops, make that a three-fer.  tardagain77 "answers" the OP by writing about high school teachers.  Good work everybody!

Yes, CreationSafaris (and Denyse) seem to have missed the detail about the skeleton being found in sediments from a lake bottom, not a nest. Daddy Darwinopterus was unlikely to have taken his precious egg swimming.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Sol3a1

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,08:30   

Quote (Seversky @ Jan. 28 2011,06:57)
Seversky and Sol3a1

Not a problem, and I understand how you feel.

StephenB and others at UD are continually asserting the existence of an objective morality, usually as the sole property of Christianity, but have been unable to justify either claim so far, C S Lewis notwithstanding.

Comments by vjtorley and others about atheists lacking agreed answers to moral questions lose any critical force in light of the vehement and sometimes violent disagreements over theological differences between Christian denominations, even though they are all supposed to be "singing from the same hymn-sheet".

The issue of slavery is a case in question.  Christians both defended it and campaigned against it with both sides claiming scriptural justification for their respective positions.  Apparently, for an omniscient and omnipotent deity, God did a pretty poor job of making his meaning clear.

Don't forget the Amalekites
Kill them all, livestock to. Slice the fetuses, I mean babies, from their mother's wombs.
Oh, but keep the virgin females for your sex slave, er concubine, I mean wives

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,11:27   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 28 2011,05:28)
Yes, CreationSafaris (and Denyse) seem to have missed the detail about the skeleton being found in sediments from a lake bottom, not a nest. Daddy Darwinopterus was unlikely to have taken his precious egg swimming.

So now we have two competing hypotheses.  Either pterosaurs nested at the bottom of lakes, or Daddy Darwinopterus was swept off the nest by Teh Flud.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,17:11   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Jan. 28 2011,05:26)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 27 2011,22:16)

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 27 2011,07:57)

Quote (CeilingCat @ Jan. 26 2011,06:38)
Man, Gordon is really outdoing himself in his last two postings, ID Foundations 2 - Counterflow and [URL=http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/id-foundations-3-irreducible-complexity-as-concept-as-fact-as-macro-evolution-obstacle-and

-as-sign-of-design/]ID Foundations 3[/URL].

It's not so much that the OP for '-3' is six pages long or that the bottom of the page says "[Continues here]", it's that when you go to "here", you get another eight pages of drivel.

Now THAT is tard!

Even worse, I have a sick feeling that if I was to look even farther back into the tardpile I would find entry -1 in the series.

The amazing thing to me is that KF soldiers on with his FIASCO musings, with never a response fom DDrr.., positive of negative. Does KF realize that he is not taken seriously by the man he tries to emulate?

he wears a sweater and makes Flash in a closet?

The Dr. Dr. is well known for being unable to spot cranks and crankish ideas (Christopher Langan and his Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe (CTMU), Faith Healers, the Bible Code, Intelligent Design) but I think that even he can spot a Gordon Mullings sized loonie.

But the GEM of TKI has developed a ingenious method of camouflage.  It conceals itself behind tens thousands of words that no one can read without passing out from a cerebral hemorrhage.  It also uses a thick cloud of the smoke of burning strawmen soaked in the oil of ad hominem to blur the vision of its prey until it is close enough to grapple them.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2011,00:20   

Quote (MichaelJ @ Jan. 26 2011,00:37)
Wow I read the other Denyse story:

Drag the rotten carcase etc...

and even the parts she quotes don't say what she think she says and none of them say that evolution is wrong.

I'm not a scientist but it totally flabbergasted me. Denyse even says after one of the quotes:

"Hmmm. No idea what he is talking about except that the “neo-Darwinians” (now the bad guys) made the mistake of assuming “a creative rather than selective view of natural selection”. In other words, they thought natural selection could create information and it can’t."

She's quoting Daniel R. Brooks, co-author of "Evolution As Entropy". Yeah, she's got no clue what he means.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2011,14:24   

lol, it looks like Gil is finally moving on, after JanieBelle.

(Ah, the memories...)

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2011,16:38   

I think I found the ultimate truth about IDists:

Matthew 5:3

I would guess someone else already did that lame joke (maybe a gazillion times, too).

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2011,22:34   

There is a new post up at UD. Guess who wrote it? Here is the first sentence to clue you in:
In my work in aerospace R&D I produce computer simulations using what is arguably the most sophisticated Finite Element Analysis program ever developed: LS-DYNA.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2011,22:47   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Jan. 31 2011,14:24)

(Ah, the memories...)

Gil doesn't realize his owngoal:
In the good old days, in an attempt to defeat an enemy inside a fortress, attacking armies would use catapults to launch rotting animal corpses over the walls, in hopes that the occupants of the fortress would be infected by the diseases carried by dead and infected animals. It was the first attempt at biological warfare.
What would that fortress be, Gil? Who, as usually claim, would be inside that fortress and who would be  the "EXPELLED" running against walls? What would be the rotten flesh they would throw? Don't you remember the good old days at Dover castle?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2011,23:47   

Quote (olegt @ Jan. 31 2011,22:34)
There is a new post up at UD. Guess who wrote it? Here is the first sentence to clue you in:

In my work in aerospace R&D I produce computer simulations using what is arguably the most sophisticated Finite Element Analysis program ever developed: LS-DYNA.

And Gil is hot on the heels of His One True Love as Dense comments on an article in The New Yorker almost a month after P.Z. Myers eviscerates it.

Her next posting: "Coffee! A German Atheist Says That Mass Equals Energy and Time Bends Like a Spoon!  I Say Whack!"

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,01:44   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Jan. 31 2011,14:24)

(Ah, the memories...)

Ahhhh.  7/7/2006.  When Larry Fafarman was still allowed to post somewhere.  Talk about a nostalgia hit.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,07:24   

B1

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

SLP

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,08:52   

Did you see the mutual mental masturbation society comments?  such bloviating and Dunning-Krugerism is a sight to behold.  I especially like the fellow who declares that when he says he understands the science nobody will debate him... whatever....

REC

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,08:58   

Wow...O'Leary really outdoes herself this time.

She links to a conservapedia (no, really) page on atheism and obesity, which includes this awesome logic:

Link, if you must

Two of the major risk factors for becoming obese according to the Mayo Clinic are poor dietary choices and inactivity, thus given the above cited Gallup research, it appears as if non-religious are more prone to becoming obese than very religious individuals.[8] The Bible declares that gluttony is a sin.[9]

BTW, the cited Gallup research is self-reporting of the activities of the very religious vs. moderate and non-religious. No attempt to parse claimed heath practice from reality. Other studies have shown religion correlating with obesity.

The really, really creepy part about the link is the pages upon pages dedicated to making fat jokes about PZ Myers and other atheists. Are middle school girls running the show over there?

http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:_...._course
http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:_....wanting
http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:_....test%3F
http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:_...._Museum
http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:_PZ_Myers_evolved_into_a_pig
http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:_...._fat%3F
http://www.conservapedia.com/Evoluti....r_obese

Guess Jerry Falwell was a closet atheist.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,09:33   

Quote (SLP @ Feb. 01 2011,08:52)

Did you see the mutual mental masturbation society comments?  such bloviating and Dunning-Krugerism is a sight to behold.  I especially like the fellow who declares that when he says he understands the science nobody will debate him... whatever....

They have no idea how much of this is sheer projection, because there is nobody left over there to point it out. This one (from the first comment) just needs a couple of edits to actually be true.

Indeed, when you pin Darwinists ID proponentsists down, they can’t even come up with detailed hypothetical scenarios for such Darwinian evolutionary paths any think-poof, not for the bacterial flagellum, nor the feather, nor the avian lung, nor the life cycle of the sheep liver fluke, nor the evolution of whales, etc., etc., etc.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,09:43   

To Gordon Mullings it's turtles atoms all the way down:
That makes the very atoms that make up cell based life an aspect that credibly reflects design.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,10:07   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Feb. 01 2011,10:33)
Quote (SLP @ Feb. 01 2011,08:52)

They have no idea how much of this is sheer projection, because there is nobody left over there to point it out. This one (from the first comment) just needs a couple of edits to actually be true.

Indeed, when you pin Darwinists ID proponentsists down, they can’t even come up with detailed hypothetical scenarios for such Darwinian evolutionary paths any think-poof, not for the bacterial flagellum, nor the feather, nor the avian lung, nor the life cycle of the sheep liver fluke, nor the evolution of whales, etc., etc., etc.

it's pretty much indistinguishable from your average Topix thread at this point

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,10:09   

I produce computer simulations using what is arguably the most sophisticated Finite Element Analysis program

Not to brag or anything, but I produce images using what is arguably the most sophisticated image editing program ever written.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,10:16   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Feb. 01 2011,09:43)
That makes the very atoms that make up cell based life an aspect that credibly reflects design.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but if atoms are evidence for design, doesn't that render the design inference completely useless?  After all, since everything is made from atoms, the Explanatory Filter would return a positive for anything, be it a fracterial blagella or a rock.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,10:41   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Feb. 01 2011,10:16)

Correct me if I am wrong here, but if atoms are evidence for design, doesn't that render the design inference completely useless?  After all, since everything is made from atoms, the Explanatory Filter would return a positive for anything, be it a fracterial blagella or a rock.

Yeah, I'm feeling the urge to sock up and ask Gordy to actually demonstrate the usage of the EF rather then just talking about it.

Then I'll ask, again, why he does not publish any of his "work" on the EF. And when he says "it would not get published anyway due to darwin controlled journals" I'll respond that it'll never be published if he does not even try.

And indeed, if atoms are designed then the EF by definition cannot "work" in the way it's purported to work.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,10:59   

Sounds like Denton's "Nature's Destiny".

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,11:11   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Feb. 01 2011,11:16)

then you are left without excuse, Darwinist.  Romans 1:20 IN YOUR FACE BEEYUTCH

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,11:15   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Feb. 01 2011,10:41)
Then I'll ask, again, why he does not publish any of his "work" on the EF. And when he says "it would not get published anyway due to darwin controlled journals" I'll respond that it'll never be published if he does not even try.

Ah, but he could submit it to Bio-Complexity.  Right?

--------------

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,11:22   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Feb. 01 2011,11:15)

Yeah, but given his prolix style, he probably couldn't afford the page charges.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,11:25   

Author Fees

Authors of Research Articles and Critical Reviews (except those solicited by the journal) will be asked, upon manuscript acceptance, to pay an Article Publication Fee of 500 USD/400 EUR, which covers the cost of processing a typical manuscript.

On consultation with authors, BIO-Complexity will reduce or waive the Article Publication Fee if insufficient funds are available to pay it. To prevent funding constraints from having any influence on how a manuscript is handled, authors are not asked about their ability to pay until after their manuscript has been accepted for publication.

he's home free.

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,11:31   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Feb. 01 2011,11:25)
Author Fees

Authors of Research Articles and Critical Reviews (except those solicited by the journal) will be asked, upon manuscript acceptance, to pay an Article Publication Fee of 500 USD/400 EUR, which covers the cost of processing a typical manuscript.

On consultation with authors, BIO-Complexity will reduce or waive the Article Publication Fee if insufficient funds are available to pay it. To prevent funding constraints from having any influence on how a manuscript is handled, authors are not asked about their ability to pay until after their manuscript has been accepted for publication.

he's home free.

Shit, I'd put some $$ in to see Gordy get eviscerated via peer review. Which won't happen at an ID "journal" as we know but nonetheless.

I'm up for $50.

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,12:04   

all i know is that if i ever see "oil soaked ad hominem" or "lewontin-esque" in a manuscript it will be rejected immediately

--------------

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2011,12:24   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Feb. 01 2011,11:22)

Quote (carlsonjok @ Feb. 01 2011,11:15)

Yeah, but given his prolix style, he probably couldn't afford the page charges.

If so he should rather try it at JofUR.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 333 334 335 336 337 [338] 339 340 341 342 343 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]