RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 332 333 334 335 336 [337] 338 339 340 341 342 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2011,16:24   

Quote (Louis @ Jan. 26 2011,14:13)
Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 26 2011,17:19)
Quote (olegt @ Jan. 26 2011,10:52)
PaV does physics:

I think of gravity in terms of entropy, and, of course, entropy, which deals with degrees of freedom and such, is related to QM. Over the last year, I believe it is Linde who has seen entropic gravity as a means of reconciling QM and GR. So I follow it along those lines.

Now, personally, I think an important element is missing, one, which, if true, and properly understood, would form the foundation of linking entropy to QM and to GR. Again, these are just personal fancies.

However, I came to the conclusion in 2003 that entropy was the opposite of gravity, and that the early inflationary period of the universe and dark energy would both be related to this entropic force. In 2010 a series of papers came out that gave plausible mathematical arguments for all of this. Nothing has come out recently; so I’m thinking a whole lot of stuff is brewing. I’m not a physicist, so I have to wait for the physicists to do their mental gymnastics. But it is fun to muse and to watch what will happen next.

As a hint to the missing element, I believe that space experiences—perpetually—a double expansion, both at the speed of light. SR and GR remain unaffected when seen in this light; and, QM is, as it is now, a coupling of “matter” to the second expansion. However, the second expansion eliminates (as best I can see) some of the fundamental problems QFT has to deal with, viz., renormalization.

How titillating is this?!

I think he should publish it in BIO-COMPLEXITY.

I don't think it would survive even that level of peer review.

I have access to a pier I can "review" their material off.

Louis

If it floats, PaV is a witch.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Sol3a1

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2011,16:25   

Greetings all,

I've been lurking on You Tube a lot and I came across something that I never knew before: Dr. Meyer wrote a peer reviewed paper on ID.

Is that the one where it was rushed through and printed before it was caught by the process?

Where can I look at it?

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2011,16:43   

Quote (Sol3a1 @ Jan. 26 2011,16:25)
Greetings all,

I've been lurking on You Tube a lot and I came across something that I never knew before: Dr. Meyer wrote a peer reviewed paper on ID.

Is that the one where it was rushed through and printed before it was caught by the process?

Where can I look at it?

Hi

http://www.discovery.org/a/2177

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternberg_peer_review_controversy

I expect this is it.

The Sternberg peer review controversy concerns the conflict arising from the publication of an article supporting the controversial concept of intelligent design in a scientific journal, and the subsequent questions of whether proper editorial procedures had been followed and whether it was properly peer reviewed. One of the primary criticisms of the intelligent design movement is that there are no research papers supporting their positions in peer reviewed scientific journals.[1] On 4 August 2004, an article by Stephen C. Meyer (Director of Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture) titled "The origin of biological information and the higher taxonomic categories", appeared in the peer-reviewed journal, Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington.[2] The journal's publisher claims the editor, Richard Sternberg, went outside the usual review procedures to allow Meyer's article to be published in his last issue as editor. Sternberg disputes the claims.[3] Meyer's article was a literature review article, and contained no new primary scholarship itself on the topic of intelligent design.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2011,16:55   

Quote (Louis @ Jan. 26 2011,16:12)
Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 26 2011,18:44)

Quote (olegt @ Jan. 26 2011,11:50)

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 26 2011,11:19)

O come on, Heddle. PCID saw it fit to publish William Brookfield, the ID Pleasurian. He proposed replacing the second law of thermodynamics with Murphy's law.

In Search of a Cosmic Super-Law: The Supreme “Second law” of Devolution

Brookfield is at least 34% cooler than any other IDer. We all know this.

True.

But one small thing. You, being a physicist and all, probably have to do some maths and stuff. Tell me. What is 34% of zero?

Louis

Well that's certainly a flaw in my algorithm.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2011,18:18   

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 26 2011,14:55)
Quote (Louis @ Jan. 26 2011,16:12)

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 26 2011,18:44)

Quote (olegt @ Jan. 26 2011,11:50)

O come on, Heddle. PCID saw it fit to publish William Brookfield, the ID Pleasurian. He proposed replacing the second law of thermodynamics with Murphy's law.

In Search of a Cosmic Super-Law: The Supreme “Second law” of Devolution

Brookfield is at least 34% cooler than any other IDer. We all know this.

True.

But one small thing. You, being a physicist and all, probably have to do some maths and stuff. Tell me. What is 34% of zero?

Louis

Well that's certainly a flaw in my algorithm.

"Waiter! What's this flaw doing in my algorithm?"

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Sol3a1

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2011,18:38   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Jan. 26 2011,16:43)
Quote (Sol3a1 @ Jan. 26 2011,16:25)
Greetings all,

Where can I look at it?

Hi

http://www.discovery.org/a/2177

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternberg_peer_review_controversy

I expect this is it.

The Sternberg peer review controversy concerns the conflict arising from the publication of an article supporting the controversial concept of intelligent design in a scientific journal, and the subsequent questions of whether proper editorial procedures had been followed and whether it was properly peer reviewed. One of the primary criticisms of the intelligent design movement is that there are no research papers supporting their positions in peer reviewed scientific journals.[1] On 4 August 2004, an article by Stephen C. Meyer (Director of Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture) titled "The origin of biological information and the higher taxonomic categories", appeared in the peer-reviewed journal, Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington.[2] The journal's publisher claims the editor, Richard Sternberg, went outside the usual review procedures to allow Meyer's article to be published in his last issue as editor. Sternberg disputes the claims.[3] Meyer's article was a literature review article, and contained no new primary scholarship itself on the topic of intelligent design.

Thank You Sir,

I don't care what that Welsh dude says about you, you're okay

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2011,22:14   

PaV does physics:

I think of gravity in terms of entropy, and, of course, entropy, which deals with degrees of freedom and such, is related to QM. Over the last year, I believe it is Linde who has seen entropic gravity as a means of reconciling QM and GR. So I follow it along those lines.

Now, personally, I think an important element is missing, one, which, if true, and properly understood, would form the foundation of linking entropy to QM and to GR. Again, these are just personal fancies.

However, I came to the conclusion in 2003 that entropy was the opposite of gravity, and that the early inflationary period of the universe and dark energy would both be related to this entropic force. In 2010 a series of papers came out that gave plausible mathematical arguments for all of this. Nothing has come out recently; so I’m thinking a whole lot of stuff is brewing. I’m not a physicist, so I have to wait for the physicists to do their mental gymnastics. But it is fun to muse and to watch what will happen next.

As a hint to the missing element, I believe that space experiences—perpetually—a double expansion, both at the speed of light. SR and GR remain unaffected when seen in this light; and, QM is, as it is now, a coupling of “matter” to the second expansion. However, the second expansion eliminates (as best I can see) some of the fundamental problems QFT has to deal with, viz., renormalization.

It would be fine with me if contributions to bio-complexity were just rubberstamped. Editorial staff taking ID seriously sitting at their desks spending time to produce written reviews is much more disturbing. Maybe Dembski wouldn't but I am afraid the less cynical editors really do exactly that believing their efforts were part of some scientific endeavor. Frightening.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

evil bfish with a goatee

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2011,22:56   

PaV does physics:

Oh sure, olegt and heddle just can't help but look at things from inside the box.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,00:51   

PaV does physics:

26a at the most.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,04:24   

Quote (JohnW @ Jan. 26 2011,22:24)
Quote (Louis @ Jan. 26 2011,14:13)

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 26 2011,17:19)

PaV does physics:

I have access to a pier I can "review" their material off.

Louis

If it floats, PaV is a witch.

IDC turned me into a newt.

I got better.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,05:26   

StephenB appears to have two seperate people writing his posts:

Those are mere claims for which no evidence is offered, for the simple reason that it isn’t true. Except as a means for punishing criminals and keeping predatory Muslims at bay, the Church has never endorsed slavery. If Mark or Wikipedia would care to support their claims, we can all be witnesses to that fact. I will be happy to provide support for my claims.

The Catholic Church has never condoned slavery. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to make their case. General quotes from an anti-Catholic, anti -Design website called Wikipedia will not suffice.

Duh.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,06:30   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Jan. 27 2011,06:26)

Those are mere claims for which no evidence is offered, for the simple reason that it isn’t true. Except as a means for punishing criminals and keeping predatory Muslims at bay, the Church has never endorsed slavery. If Mark or Wikipedia would care to support their claims, we can all be witnesses to that fact. I will be happy to provide support for my claims.

The Catholic Church has never condoned slavery. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to make their case. General quotes from an anti-Catholic, anti -Design website called Wikipedia will not suffice.

Duh.

Since the New Testament condones slavery, StephenB should be the one to prvide the evidence of when his church stopped supporting slavery (except for criminals and Muslims).

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,06:57   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Jan. 26 2011,06:38)
Man, Gordon is really outdoing himself in his last two postings, ID Foundations 2 - Counterflow and [URL=http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/id-foundations-3-irreducible-complexity-as-concept-as-fact-as-macro-evolution-obstacle-and

-as-sign-of-design/]ID Foundations 3[/URL].

It's not so much that the OP for '-3' is six pages long or that the bottom of the page says "[Continues here]", it's that when you go to "here", you get another eight pages of drivel.

Now THAT is tard!

Even worse, I have a sick feeling that if I was to look even farther back into the tardpile I would find entry -1 in the series.

The amazing thing to me is that KF soldiers on with his FIASCO musings, with never a response fom DDrr.., positive of negative. Does KF realize that he is not taken seriously by the man he tries to emulate?

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,07:12   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 27 2011,06:30)

Duh.

Since the New Testament condones slavery, StephenB should be the one to prvide the evidence of when his church stopped supporting slavery (except for criminals and Muslims).

StephenB's grasp of Catholic history is as shaky - or revisionist - as Michele Bachmann's grasp of constitutional history.

IIRC, I wrote at least one lengthy (for me) post at UD in which I quoted passages from Papal edicts which clearly permit slavery.  This is quite apart from Old Testament accounts of God and His Chosen People condoning and practicing it.

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,07:20   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 27 2011,06:57)
Man, Gordon is really outdoing himself in his last two postings, ID Foundations 2 - Counterflow and [URL=http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/id-foundations-3-irreducible-complexity-as-concept-as-fact-as-macro-evolution-obstacle-and

It's not so much that the OP for '-3' is six pages long or that the bottom of the page says "[Continues here]", it's that when you go to "here", you get another eight pages of drivel.

Now THAT is tard!

Even worse, I have a sick feeling that if I was to look even farther back into the tardpile I would find entry -1 in the series.

The amazing thing to me is that KF soldiers on with his FIASCO musings, with never a response fom DDrr.., positive of negative. Does KF realize that he is not taken seriously by the man he tries to emulate?

We could argue that UD needs more like KF and BA77.  If anything ID has to say is buried in long, dense screeds that nobody can be bothered to read then so much the better.  It is finished from the moment people's eyes start to glaze over at the very mention of the name.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,07:26   

In the comments on KF's -3 thread, BA^77 documents an important tard unification:

“The response I have received from repeating Behe’s claim about the evolutionary literature, which simply brings out the point being made implicitly by many others, such as Chris Dutton and so on, is that I obviously have not read the right books. There are, I am sure, evolutionists who have described how the transitions in question could have occurred.” And he continues, “When I ask in which books I can find these discussions, however, I either get no answer or else some titles that, upon examination, do not, in fact, contain the promised accounts. That such accounts exist seems to be something that is widely known, but I have yet to encounter anyone who knows where they exist.”
David Ray Griffin – retired professor of philosophy of religion and theology

ID believer + Troofer!! Add Building 7 denialism (et al, et al) to the birther, vaxer, anti-AGW, etc list.

If only BA^77 had thought to ask DRG's opinion of YEC instead of evolution.

There must be a Law of Attraction that applies to tardons, like the strong nuclear force but with a higher exponent. The tardons form the nucleus of a personality, and easily capture more tardons when they are emitted from DI, Fox News, or WingNutDaily.

--------------

Mark Frank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,07:31   

Quote (Seversky @ Jan. 27 2011,07:12)
IIRC, I wrote at least one lengthy (for me) post at UD in which I quoted passages from Papal edicts which clearly permit slavery.  This is quite apart from Old Testament accounts of God and His Chosen People condoning and practicing it.

You don't by any chance have a link to that post or a copy of it.  It might save me some time if my little discussion with Stephenb goes on.

Thanks.

Raevmo

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,07:34   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 27 2011,07:26)

If only BA^77 had thought to ask DRG's opinion of YEC instead of evolution.

There must be a Law of Attraction that applies to tardons, like the strong nuclear force but with a higher exponent. The tardons form the nucleus of a personality, and easily capture more tardons when they are emitted from DI, Fox News, or WingNutDaily.

At long last, we know whence 77!

--------------
After much reflection I finally realized that the best way to describe the cause of the universe is: the great I AM.

--GilDodgen

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,07:48   

Quote (Seversky @ Jan. 27 2011,13:20)
Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 27 2011,06:57)

Now THAT is tard!

We could argue that UD needs more like KF and BA77.  If anything ID has to say is buried in long, dense screeds that nobody can be bothered to read then so much the better.  It is finished from the moment people's eyes start to glaze over at the very mention of the name.

I've got (ok well I had) no problem with reading long, dense screeds from the IDCists. After all, the occasional long, dense screed contains something useful. Books are long and occasionally dense, for example. ;-)

However, what I do object to vigorously are long, dense, useful-information-free, logically incoherent, factually incorrect, strawman raising, pig ignorant screeds that are little more than dog whistles to evangelical religious idiots who think reality is somehow their enemy.

Since that is what the IDCist crowd now turns out exclusively, there's not much point keeping abreast of their drivel beyond the occasional skim to see if anything new has turned up (it hasn't). Once the IDCists had been determined as being warmed over creationists of the old school, what more effort was needed? Already read, already refuted. Why waste the time (beyond, you know, the LULZ)? All this happened conclusively...oooooh, when was Dover? Yeah, quite a while before that. ;-)

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,08:23   

Quote (Mark Frank @ Jan. 27 2011,07:31)
Quote (Seversky @ Jan. 27 2011,07:12)

You don't by any chance have a link to that post or a copy of it.  It might save me some time if my little discussion with Stephenb goes on.

Thanks.

I found two actually.  The first is in the Darwin reader:  Darwin's racism thread.

The second is in the A Challenge to Evolutionary Biologists thread:

Seversky

03/10/2009

10:50 pm

And since Denyse O’Leary believes she is entitled to repeat herself, let me add this list to Allen MacNeill’s and remind ourselves of why, as a self-professed Catholic, she is in no position to adopt a high moral tone given her church’s involvement for centuries in slavery which, let us be in no doubt, was in itself a form of racism:

In the fourth century, St. Augustine thought slavery could be beneficial to both slaves and masters;
in 650 Pope Martin I forbade people to help slaves escape;
in 1179 the Third Lateran Council decreed the enslavement of anyone helping the Saracens;
in 1226 Pope Gregory IX incorporated slavery into the Corpus Iuris Canonici (Canon Law), where it remained until 1913;
in the 13th century, St. Thomas Aquinas considered slavery to be in accordance with natural law and a consequence of original sin;
in 1454 Pope Nicholas V’s bull Romanus Pontifex allowed the King of Portugal to enslave Saracens and pagans at war with Christians;
in 1493, Pope Alexander VI gave the same right to the King of Spain in fighting native Americans; in 1548 Paul III allowed both clergy and laity to own slaves;
in 1866 Pope Pius IX specifically declared that “slavery in itself, considered as such in its essential nature, is not at all contrary to the natural and divine law, and there can be several just titles of slavery, and these are referred to by approved theologians and commentators of the sacred canons. … It is not contrary to the natural and divine law for a slave to be sold, bought, exchanged or given.”

…and again..

595 CE: Pope Gregory dispatched a priest to Britain to purchase Pagan boys to work as slaves on church estates.
Circa 600 CE: Pope Gregory I wrote, in Pastoral Rule: “Slaves should be told…not [to] despise their masters and recognize that they are only slaves.”
655 CE: In an attempt to persuade priests to remain celibate, the 9th Council of Toledo ruled that all children of clerics were to be automatically enslaved. This ruling was later incorporated into the canon law of the church.
13th century CE: Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) accepted the teachings of the ancient Greek Pagan philosopher, Aristotle, that slavery is “natural.”
1404 CE: After Spain discovered the Canary Islands the Spanish colonized the islands
In 1435 Pope Eugene IV wrote a bull to Bishop Ferdinand of Lanzarote titled “Sicut Dudum.” In it, he noted that the black inhabitants of the Islands had been converted to Christianity and either baptized or promised baptism. Subsequently, many of the inhabitants were taken from their homes and enslaved. He commanded that all enslaved Christians who were inhabitants of the Canary Islands be freed from slavery. The Pope’s concern appears to have been over the enslavement of Christians by Christians, not the institution of human slavery itself.
1452/4 CE: Pope Nicholas V wrote Dum Diversas which granted to the kings of Spain and Portugal the right to reduce any “Saracens [Muslims] and pagans and any other unbelievers” to perpetual slavery.
1519: Bartholomew De Las Casas, a Dominican, argued against slavery. “No one may be deprived of his liberty nor may any person be enslaved” He was ridiculed, silenced and ignored.
1537 CE: Pope Paul III wrote in Sublimis Deus about the enslavement of persons in the West and South Indies. He wrote that Satan:

“… the enemy of the human race…has thought up a way, unheard of before now, by which he might impede the saving Word of God. … Satan has stirred up some of his allies … who are presuming to assert far and wide that the Indians be reduced to our service like brute animals. And they reduce them to slavery, treating them with afflictions we would scarcely use with brute animals. … Rather, we decree that these same Indians should not be deprived of their liberty…and are not to be reduced to slavery.” only hostile non-Christians, captured in just wars, could become slaves.
1548 CE: Pope Paul III confirmed that any individual may freely buy, sell and own slaves. Runaway slaves were to be returned to their owners for punishment.
1629 to 1661 CE: Pope Urban VIII in 1629, Pope Innocent X in 1645 and Pope Alexander VII in 1661 were all personally involved in the purchase of Muslim slaves.
Late 17th century: The institution of slavery was a integral part of many societies worldwide. The Roman Catholic church only placed two restrictions on the purchase and owning of slaves:

– They had to be non-Christian.
– They had to be captured during “just” warfare. i.e. in wars involving Christian armies fighting for an honorable cause.

Late in the 17th century, Leander, a Roman Catholic theologian, wrote:

“It is certainly a matter of faith that this sort of slavery in which a man serves his master as his slave, is altogether lawful. This is proved from Holy Scripture…It is also proved from reason for it is not unreasonable that just as things which are captured in a just war pass into the power and ownership of the victors, so persons captured in war pass into the ownership of the captors… All theologians are unanimous on this.”

When challenged to produce any Papal documents which endorsed slavery I found the following passages taken from an English translation of the full text of the Bull Romanus Pontifex issued by Pope Nicholas V, January 8th, 1455:

We have lately heard, not without great joy and gratification, how our beloved son, the noble personage Henry, infante of Portugal,…has not ceased for twenty-five years past to send almost yearly an army of the peoples of the said kingdoms with the greatest labor, danger, and expense, in very swift ships called caravels, to explore the sea and coast lands toward the south and the Antarctic pole. And so it came to pass that when a number of ships of this kind had explored and taken possession of very many harbors, islands, and seas, they at length came to the province of Guinea, and having taken possession of some islands and harbors and the sea adjacent to that province, sailing farther they came to the mouth of a certain great river commonly supposed to be the Nile, and war was waged for some years against the peoples of those parts in the name of the said King Alfonso and of the infante, and in it very many islands in that neighborhood were subdued and peacefully possessed, as they are still possessed together with the adjacent sea. Thence also many Guineamen and other negroes, taken by force, and some by barter of unprohibited articles, or by other lawful contract of purchase, have been sent to the said kingdoms. A large number of these have been converted to the Catholic faith, and it is hoped, by the help of divine mercy, that if such progress be continued with them, either those peoples will be converted to the faith or at least the souls of many of them will be gained for Christ…We [therefore] weighing all and singular the premises with due meditation, and noting that since we had formerly by other letters of ours granted among other things free and ample faculty to the aforesaid King Alfonso — to invade, search out, capture, vanquish, and subdue all Saracens and pagans whatsoever, and other enemies of Christ wheresoever placed, and the kingdoms, dukedoms, principalities, dominions, possessions, and all movable and immovable goods whatsoever held and possessed by them and to reduce their persons to perpetual slavery, and to apply and appropriate to himself and his successors the kingdoms, dukedoms, counties, principalities, dominions, possessions, and goods, and to convert them to his and their use and profit…

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,09:33   

Seversky - Thanks for the post.  Excellent.  

Too bad we can't free the UDFers from their mental chains.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Sol3a1

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,09:50   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 27 2011,06:30)

Duh.

I've already had a big debate on YouTube on this.  I go to You Tube as there are incredibly fresh veins of TARD that needed to by mined.

But here you go:

Even more christians, especially in the US South, held that slavery was not only biblical but Jesus commanded it

OBTW, my eyes are open to the hatred, injustice and lies of your bible. It's you who can't see what a horrid god that monster is in your book. Reading the bible's all you need? to find it repulsive

Rev Fred Ross "Slavery is of God"

Rev Robert Lewis Dabny "Push the Bible argument constantly, the abolitionists have no choice but to assume an anti-Christian position"

Christian Index "The unlettered Northerner when he? reads scripture for himself or hears it read will know that slavery is upheld in God's word"

Rev Thomas Thornton "Abolitionists endeavor to persuade and delude men from the Bible and its instructions"

Exodus 21:4 - "If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave and they had sons or daughters, then only the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master.  So the guy has a choice slavery or his family. Oh yeah,? some rights and family values

1Timothy6 - slaves serve your masters well

Matthew 5:17 - Jesus? keeps all of god's laws (which includes slavery)

Exodus 21:20-21 - where the master can't beat their slave to death but close

Read Rev Thomas Stringfellow from 1856 on his treatise why slavery is god's law, straight from the buy-bull

Leviticus 27:3-8 - where we get how much for men, women, boys, girls, etc

Ephesians 6:5 - more on how slaves need to? behave

Luke 12:47 - even more admonishment for the good slave

Leviticus 25:44

Colessians 3:22

Just a few places to show how the BUY-BULL loves slavery and how their god condones, nay, expects it

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,22:16   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 27 2011,07:57)

Now THAT is tard!

he wears a sweater and makes Flash in a closet?

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

tsig

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2011,23:49   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Jan. 26 2011,05:38)

Now THAT is tard!

The Ider is just  a general contractor?

. . .[From commonplace experience and observation, we may see that:]  (1) A designer conceives a purpose. (2) To accomplish that purpose, the designer forms a plan. (3) To execute the plan, the designer specifies building materials and assembly instructions. (4) Finally, the designer or some surrogate applies the assembly instructions to the building materials. (No Free Lunch, p. xi. HT: ENV.) [Emphases and explanatory parenthesis added.]

Mark Frank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,01:20   

Seversky and Sol3a1

Thanks for your links on slavery and Christianity.  I am feeling a bit weak at the prospect of more debate with Stephenb and will leave it at the brief comment I made on UD.  I hope I didn't put you to too much unnecessary work

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,02:18   

Quote (Mark Frank @ Jan. 28 2011,02:20)
Seversky and Sol3a1

Thanks for your links on slavery and Christianity.  I am feeling a bit weak at the prospect of more debate with Stephenb and will leave it at the brief comment I made on UD.  I hope I didn't put you to too much unnecessary work

I think you pressed your point and documented same effectively.

My response to Stephen's complaint that "atheists don't have any basis for an objective moral code" is to repeat my belief that he doesn't either. He just thinks he does - then points to the wholly human contrivance that is the Catholic church (or where ever). That human contrivance includes the self-serving assertion that church teachings are characterized by objectives, absolutes and authority on these matters - a notion that is another human contrivance.

Like it or not, we're all in the same boat vis having to undertake our own moral reasoning; some of us, including Stephen, just don't know it.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,03:04   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Jan. 27 2011,21:18)
Quote (Mark Frank @ Jan. 28 2011,02:20)
Seversky and Sol3a1

I think you pressed your point and documented same effectively.

My response to Stephen's complaint that "atheists don't have any basis for an objective moral code" is to repeat my belief that he doesn't either. He just thinks he does - then points to the wholly human contrivance that is the Catholic church (or where ever). That human contrivance includes the self-serving assertion that church teachings are characterized by objectives, absolutes and authority on these matters - a notion that is another human contrivance.

Like it or not, we're all in the same boat vis having to undertake our own moral reasoning; some of us, including Stephen, just don't know it.

Indeed. It is, in my view, the yardstick of a free and open society that people are able to make these choices and debate their reasoning, something that might be less possible should the fundies ever hold sway in the US. I recently posted a comment at Biologos on these lines but things are pretty slow there nowadays.

Mark Frank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,04:26   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Jan. 28 2011,02:18)

I agree - but I have been down that road too many times with the likes of Stephenb to want to do it again.  With vj there is some hope of a new and interesting angle on things.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,05:15   

O'Dreary flunks reading comprehension 101 and takes CreationSafaris with her.  From the Flying Reptile Egg thread:      
Jonathan Amos reports at BBC News (20 January 2011) on a “Fossil female pterosaur found with preserved egg“. Wonderful news, and note this:

"The egg indicates this ancient flying reptile was a female, and that realisation has allowed researchers to sex these creatures for the first time."

"Writing in Science magazine, the palaeontologists make some broad statements about differences in pterosaurs, including the observation that only males sported a head-crest."

“Broad” statements indeed, about the head-crest. They couldn’t really be sure unless they could sex a flock, and there’s a risk of being led off course.

"The state of the egg’s shell suggests it was well developed and that Mrs T must have been very close to laying it when she died."

Ok so far.  Then we get the rest of the OP:    
CreationSafaris has an interesting comment on the risks of storytelling:

"Actually, it was Daddy Darwinopterus taking his turn sitting on the egg. Back then, you see, pterosaurs shared parenting responsibilities. How do we know? We don’t, and neither do the reporters …"

The sad thing is, this find is so good, why mess with empty speculations?

Good one!  Daddy Darwinopterus was just taking his turn egg-sitting and he died just before he laid it!

I score this as a two-fer.

Oops, make that a three-fer.  tardagain77 "answers" the OP by writing about high school teachers.  Good work everybody!

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2011,05:26   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 27 2011,22:16)

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 27 2011,07:57)

Now THAT is tard!

he wears a sweater and makes Flash in a closet?

The Dr. Dr. is well known for being unable to spot cranks and crankish ideas (Christopher Langan and his Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe (CTMU), Faith Healers, the Bible Code, Intelligent Design) but I think that even he can spot a Gordon Mullings sized loonie.

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 332 333 334 335 336 [337] 338 339 340 341 342 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]