RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (527) < ... 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2015,11:01   

Quote (Woodbine @ Oct. 27 2015,06:15)
I think Batsh^t77 might be falling off the wagon....

Such an enlightening projection.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Lethean

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2015,11:53   

Quote (Zachriel @ Oct. 27 2015,10:52)

Quote (dazz @ Oct. 26 2015,19:13)
Ouch, already posted by John

It was worth repeating.

--
Ouch, already posted by Lethean.

Crap. I think we are caught in a tardception.

Someone play one of GG's music videos and kick us with a couple of Postrado's eggs please.

--------------
"So I'm a pretty unusual guy and it's not stupidity that has gotten me where I am. It's brilliance."

"My brain is one of the very few independent thinking brains that you've ever met. And that's a thing of wonder to you and since you don't understand it you criticize it."

~Dave Hawkins~

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2015,15:45   

[B}IRONY ALERT! IRONY ALERT![/B]

Barry to Popperian:
I did not say anything about Jesus. I specifically declined your request to debate the incarnation. Now you are putting words into my mouth as if I said them instead of you. Do that again and you will be shown the exit.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2015,16:44   

Quote (dazz @ Oct. 27 2015,06:50)

Quote (tsig @ Oct. 27 2015,13:34)

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 06 2015,16:55)
where the fuck is dembski even at now?

Saying "Do you want fries with that?".

He won't last there. That job is too specifically complex for him

He was doing pretty well at first.  He'd gotten on the payroll and was training to be a third assistant french fry technician when management found out he was telling customers that Christ's sacrifice had worked backwards in time four billion four thousand years and designed the potato.

After a psychiatric evaluation he was let go, but in a burst of genius the ID community still regards with awe, he posted the entire McDonald's Board of Directors' home addresses, home phone numbers, personal email addresses, cell phone numbers and the secret recipe for Big Mac sauce on UD.  Strangely, this tactic failed to get him in good with his boss and Dr. Dr. Dembski is currently searching for suitable positions in philosophy, math, theology or the non-McDonalds portion of the fast food industry.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2015,17:58   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Oct. 27 2015,14:44)
Strangely, this tactic failed to get him in good with his boss and Dr. Dr. Dembski is currently searching for suitable positions in philosophy, math, theology or the non-McDonalds portion of the fast food industry.

I wonder what are William Dembski's current prospects.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2015,19:59   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Oct. 28 2015,01:58)
Strangely, this tactic failed to get him in good with his boss and Dr. Dr. Dembski is currently searching for suitable positions in philosophy, math, theology or the non-McDonalds portion of the fast food industry.

Looks like he won't even get a job as a clown.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2015,20:31   

Quote (k.e.. @ Oct. 27 2015,19:59)
Quote (Dr.GH @ Oct. 28 2015,01:58)

Looks like he won't even get a job as a clown.

ID has a surplus of clowns.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 28 2015,05:07   

Didn't Dembski use to co-own a burger joint in Texas?

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 28 2015,06:41   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Oct. 28 2015,05:07)
Didn't Dembski use to co-own a burger joint in Texas?

I thought it was  a ribs place.

--------------
Evolander in training

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 28 2015,08:11   

File under unrefutable:

Vy on Torley's Williamson thread:

When evodelusionsts accuse you of quote-mining, you know you’ve got something.

Yep, a big fat file of quote mines. (On the Tree of Life, in this instance, guess what they say?).

There is no situation you can't use that gambit in. When evodelusionists call you a fat twat, you know you've got something. When evodelusionists trash your arguments one by one, you know you've got something. When evodelusionists ignore you, you know you've got something.

--------------
SoapySam is a pathetic asswiper. Joe G

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 28 2015,09:43   

Quote (Soapy Sam @ Oct. 28 2015,08:11)
File under unrefutable:

Vy on Torley's Williamson thread:

When evodelusionsts accuse you of quote-mining, you know you’ve got something.

Yep, a big fat file of quote mines. (On the Tree of Life, in this instance, guess what they say?).

There is no situation you can't use that gambit in. When evodelusionists call you a fat twat, you know you've got something. When evodelusionists trash your arguments one by one, you know you've got something. When evodelusionists ignore you, you know you've got something.

I actually had a guy argue that there must be something to ID, otherwise, I wouldn't spend so much time trying to refute ID.

I explained to him, in great detail, how ID proponents lie in order to promote a specific agenda to people who don't know any better. He didn't care (obviously), he is prefers Meyer's lies to anything related to the truth.

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 28 2015,11:39   

Yep, I've had similar - you either stay silent and let bullshit propagate, or call it and appear to legitimise it by that very act!

That whole thread is a classic. Torley's point is reasonable (for a change) but waaaay over the heads of the masses.

--------------

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,07:12   

Mapou isn't happy about the DNA of Jesus
I am quickly losing interest in UD. I sense a hidden agenda and I don’t like it. But I’ll keep lurking for a little while longer to see if things get better. This thread is the worst one I’ve seen since I started frequenting the site. It’s beyond ludicrous and it offends both my intelligence and my faith.

I have some sympathy for him, although being on the other side of the debate means I quite like that thread.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,07:29   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Oct. 29 2015,07:12)

I am quickly losing interest in UD. I sense a hidden agenda and I don’t like it. But I’ll keep lurking for a little while longer to see if things get better. This thread is the worst one I’ve seen since I started frequenting the site. It’s beyond ludicrous and it offends both my intelligence and my faith.

I have some sympathy for him, although being on the other side of the debate means I quite like that thread.

Shield your irony meters: From the same thread  
11 hrun08 15 October 28, 2015 at 3:47 pm

This post doesn’t seem much less scientifically rigorous than a whole bunch of other PaV posts.

19 PaV October 28, 2015 at 5:36 pm

hrun 0815:

Thank you for your support.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,07:48   

Very rich vein in the mines.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,09:40   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Oct. 29 2015,07:48)

Intravenous woo. Dangerously addictive.

Mapou appears not to be convinced. Does he think that the papists are inherently Theistic Evolutionists?

Is he going to declare that  
The Bishop of Rome hath no jurisdiction in this Realm of Intelligent Design

and will he be excommunicated thereby?

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,10:03   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Oct. 29 2015,13:48)

Virgil Cain

I have a ghost in my house- and it eats and drinks! True story- I woke up to find an empty milk container in the fridge. Then I noticed my pizza was also missing. I questioned all living people and they all denied it.

What, all 7 billion of 'em?

--------------

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,11:09   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Oct. 29 2015,05:12)

What do you suppose the hidden agenda might be?  UD looks like a straight-up Jesus site to me.  Is someone secretly doing science?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,12:25   

Quote (Soapy Sam @ Oct. 29 2015,18:03)

Virgil Cain

I have a ghost in my house- and it eats and drinks! True story- I woke up to find an empty milk container in the fridge. Then I noticed my pizza was also missing. I questioned all living people and they all denied it.

Could have been a wide mouth frog.

--------------

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,12:30   

Quote (k.e.. @ Oct. 29 2015,10:25)
Quote (Soapy Sam @ Oct. 29 2015,18:03)

Virgil Cain

Could have been a wide mouth frog.

The ticks have escaped.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Otangelo

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,13:09   

Quote (JohnW @ Oct. 29 2015,11:09)

What do you suppose the hidden agenda might be?  UD looks like a straight-up Jesus site to me.  Is someone secretly doing science?

UD looks like a straight-up Jesus site to me.

How do you get that conclusion ?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,13:19   

IDK. Being awake?

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,15:51   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 29 2015,11:19)
IDK. Being awake?

That just about sums it up, Steve.

In more than three words: there are basically three classes of UD threads:
- science-bashing (such as Denyse's babbling, or the weekly comments-closed rants from He Who Must Not Be Named Even Though He Regularly Links to The Writings Of Gordon E Mullings Who Shares The Same Views, Writing Style, And Place Of Residence);
- culture-war creepiness (a steady stream of posts titled Eww, Homos! or similar);
- flat-out proselytisation like the thread referenced above.

It's obviously not always easy to determine people's motives.  But, in my opinion, it's pretty easy here.

--------------

someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,16:37   

I think that Mapou is suggesting that UD stinks of dirty, dirty papists.  Among very conservative evangelicals, the belief that Catholicism (with a "C" not "c") is more of a cult--almost akin to Mormonism or Jehovah's Witnesses--than a legitimate branch of Christianity is not all that uncommon.  This appears to be the sentiment at play here.

--------------
Evolander in training

Glen Davidson

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,17:09   

The issue is that most people understand common descent entirely from a Darwinian perspective. That is, they assume that the notion of natural selection and gradualism follow along closely to the notion of common descent. However, there is nothing that logically ties these together, especially if you allow for design.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/evoluti....descent

The issue is that most people understand genetic descent from an entirely inheritance perspective.  That is, they assume that the notion of actual reproduction follows along closely to the notion of relatedness, paternity/maternity, and kinship.  However, there is nothing that logically ties these together, especially if you allow for design.

Well, what's the difference?  If we pathetically assume that our genes came from our parents, which came from their parents, etc. etc., rather than being magically put into us by gene fairies, how is that any more defensible than "Darwinism?"  It just plain is the same thing, we just don't change the rules arbitrarily far back.  They do, although their reasons for such arbitrariness are not themselves arbitrary (see UD Jesus babble).

Glen Davidson

--------------
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p....p

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of coincidence---ID philosophy

Glen Davidson

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,17:14   

Addendum to the above (same source and all):

The ID version of common descent, however, doesn’t have to play by these rules.

Quite, or any meaningful rules at all.

Glen Davidson

--------------

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of coincidence---ID philosophy

REC

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,21:07   

For fucks sake, "news" contrasts bacteria and Eukaryota:

The bacterial cell, IIRC, is much larger, has no nucleus, and has a much smaller genome which is circular. So, to make smaller cells with larger genomes, you need something to tidy the chromosomes up.

Glen Davidson

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2015,21:33   

Quote (REC @ Oct. 29 2015,21:07)
For fucks sake, "news" contrasts bacteria and Eukaryota:

The bacterial cell, IIRC, is much larger, has no nucleus, and has a much smaller genome which is circular. So, to make smaller cells with larger genomes, you need something to tidy the chromosomes up.

Just more ideas censored by the Orthodoxy, unwilling to see the value in them.  

Why should we teach that eukaryotic cells are much larger than bacterial cells (usually)?  After all, the opposite may be the truth, if, for instance, microscopes happen to show smaller things as larger.  Real science would keep both options open, and both ideas should be taught in schools.  Can't the students decide?

Glen Davidson

--------------

Lethean

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 30 2015,09:15   

Quote (Glen Davidson @ Oct. 29 2015,17:14)
Addendum to the above (same source and all):

Quite, or any meaningful rules at all.

Glen Davidson

This is a bafflegab way of saying one has to leave room for the YEC crap.

See also: Creation Museum, kinds, and Super Fast Evolution...erm...MicroEvoDaption

They really can't or wont challenge the YEC/ID subset under any circumstances. It's a big, big tent.

See also: Moran's latest post pointing this out, which prompts McLatchie to show up and claim he will debate Larry. Paul Nelson shows up to hump a biologically gussied up version of the tornado in a junkyard argument and looks down at the ground kicking at the dirt trying to do everything he can to avoid admitting he's a YEC. If I could be bothered to make an account to log in and comment I'd ask him how that whole Ontological Depth thing is coming along. The comment section is a laugh riot.

--------------
"So I'm a pretty unusual guy and it's not stupidity that has gotten me where I am. It's brilliance."

"My brain is one of the very few independent thinking brains that you've ever met. And that's a thing of wonder to you and since you don't understand it you criticize it."

~Dave Hawkins~

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 30 2015,10:16   

Quote (Otangelo @ Oct. 29 2015,13:09)

UD looks like a straight-up Jesus site to me.

How do you get that conclusion ?

It is the only "science" (hack, hack, cough!) blog I am aware if that bans people for blasphemy.

15792 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (527) < ... 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]