RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >   
  Topic: Texas and Antievolution, The 2008-2009 follies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2009,04:36   

A Texas legislator is waging a war of biblical proportions against the science and education communities in the Lone Star State as he fights for a bill that would allow a private school that teaches creationism to grant a Master of Science degree in the subject.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509719,00.html

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 24 2009,12:54   

Pharyngula:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyng....int.php

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 25 2009,15:53   

CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/25/texas.evolution.teaching/

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 25 2009,16:31   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 20 2009,09:18)
Don Mcelroy's website:

http://www.donmcleroy.com/

has all sorts of 'intersting' articles. Check out:

http://home.att.net/~dmcler....ign.htm

..Conclusion

In conclusion, we have a worldview clash.  We need to chip away at the foundation of their worldview by first, demonstrating their dependence on a naturalistic philosophy and second, by demonstrating the weight of evidence that stands against Darwinism.

He's got a 'batshit-crazy-come-back-to-haunt-me-in-court' Op-Ed:

http://www.statesman.com/opinion....it.html

--------------

creeky belly

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 25 2009,21:07   

Steve Schafersman live-blogged today's shenanigans proceedings of the TSBOE. One creationist lawyer (suprisingly not Casey Luskin) said the board would be sued if they took out the "strengths and weaknesses" language. Thankfully, there were some great representatives from both science and industry, but I get the feeling from the board's comments that this is largely a repeat of KBOE. They seem to have made up there minds already, so to see anything but a one vote victory would be very surprising.

The link

Reginald Beasley

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,12:10   

We won!   Just crossing the BABlog right now:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastr....-barely

7-7 vote means science wins, just barely.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,12:20   

Quote (Reginald Beasley @ Mar. 26 2009,12:10)

HAR HAR IN YOUR FACE CREATIONISTS!

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,12:31   

Quote (Reginald Beasley @ Mar. 26 2009,12:10)

One of the pro-science board members was out today, but is expected back tomorrow.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,12:38   

ID predicts Casey Luskin will spin this into a victory.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,13:48   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 26 2009,12:38)

Boo! It was John West:

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2009....it.html

Texas Board Member Censors Citizen Expression at Board Meeting
Apparently Texas Board of Education member Rick Agosto isn’t just content to censor science by removing any criticisms of evolution from the science curriculum. The San Antonio Democrat even wants to prevent citizens from expressing their disagreement with that censorship. This morning Agosto demanded that some citizens quietly holding signs stating “Don’t Censor Science” at the Board meeting take down their signs. He even called on security personnel to forcibly remove the signs, but Board chair Don McElroy intervened to stop that abuse of power. Agosto’s over-the-top behavior toward non-disruptive attendees at the meeting followed his earlier denunciation of intelligent design as not being based on science. Agosto doesn’t appear to have actually read anything by intelligent design proponents, and his comments attacking intelligent design were completely gratuitous since the Board isn’t even considering adding intelligent design to the science standards. Interestingly, at yesterday’s Board meeting Agosto used his right of personal privilege to bring back non-Texan Eugenie Scott of the National Center for Science Education to speak before the Board. Because Scott spoke at the January meeting, she was supposed to be near the bottom of the speakers’ list yesterday in order to allow new people to testify. But Agosto seems to have been more interested in hearing from arch-Darwinist Scott than hearing from his own constituents or other Texans patiently waiting to testify

--------------

Spottedwind

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,14:02   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 26 2009,14:48)

But Agosto seems to have been more interested in hearing from arch-Darwinist Scott...

Man, that arch-Darwinist rank is so far away!

I'm stuck between Neophyte and Daily Atheist ???

Yay for good news!  And now we wait for the next gopher to pop up.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,14:14   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 26 2009,13:48)

Boo! It was John West:

Apparently Texas Board of Education member Rick Agosto isn’t just content to censor science by removing any criticisms of evolution from the science curriculum. The San Antonio Democrat even wants to prevent citizens from expressing their disagreement with that censorship. This morning Agosto demanded that some citizens quietly holding signs stating “Don’t Censor Science” at the Board meeting take down their signs. He even called on security personnel to forcibly remove the signs, but Board chair Don McElroy intervened to stop that abuse of power. Agosto’s over-the-top behavior toward non-disruptive attendees at the meeting followed his earlier denunciation of intelligent design as not being based on science. Agosto doesn’t appear to have actually read anything by intelligent design proponents, and his comments attacking intelligent design were completely gratuitous since the Board isn’t even considering adding intelligent design to the science standards. Interestingly, at yesterday’s Board meeting Agosto used his right of personal privilege to bring back non-Texan Eugenie Scott of the National Center for Science Education to speak before the Board. Because Scott spoke at the January meeting, she was supposed to be near the bottom of the speakers’ list yesterday in order to allow new people to testify. But Agosto seems to have been more interested in hearing from arch-Darwinist Scott than hearing from his own constituents or other Texans patiently waiting to testify

Typical.

The rest of the story, in part:

BREAKING NEWS: A proposed amendment adding “strengths and weaknesses” of scientific theories back to the science standards has failed on a 7-7 vote.

11:17 - With the defeat of “strengths and weaknesses,” the board is now on to other amendments. Ms. Cargill begins.
11:20 Despite Chairman McLeroy’s repeated prohibition against signs in the hearing room (targeted at TFN members quietly holding signs saying things like “Stand Up for Science”), creationists who wanted “strengths and weaknesses” in the standards have brought a couple of bright neon signs to the hearing room today reading:

“Don’t Censor Science”

and

“No Science Censorship”

Finally, Mr. Agosto requested that Chairman McLeroy ask the creationists to withdraw their signs. He did.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

ERV

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,14:34   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Mar. 26 2009,14:14)

Boo! It was John West:

Typical.

BREAKING NEWS: A proposed amendment adding “strengths and weaknesses” of scientific theories back to the science standards has failed on a 7-7 vote.

11:17 - With the defeat of “strengths and weaknesses,” the board is now on to other amendments. Ms. Cargill begins.
11:20 Despite Chairman McLeroy’s repeated prohibition against signs in the hearing room (targeted at TFN members quietly holding signs saying things like “Stand Up for Science”), creationists who wanted “strengths and weaknesses” in the standards have brought a couple of bright neon signs to the hearing room today reading:

“Don’t Censor Science”

and

“No Science Censorship”

Finally, Mr. Agosto requested that Chairman McLeroy ask the creationists to withdraw their signs. He did.

LOL!!!

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,14:45   

Quote (ERV @ Mar. 26 2009,14:34)
Quote (carlsonjok @ Mar. 26 2009,14:14)

Boo! It was John West:

Typical.

“Don’t Censor Science”

and

“No Science Censorship”

LOL!!!

Good old John West.  Silver tongued devil, he is.

One thing I didn't catch before was his reference (seen above) to Eugenie Scott as a "non-Texan".  Hey, Johnnie-boy, where are you and Casey Luskin from again? Seattle? Really?  Is that near Houston?

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,15:25   

One thing I didn't catch before was his reference (seen above) to Eugenie Scott as a "non-Texan".  Hey, Johnnie-boy, where are you and Casey Luskin from again? Seattle? Really?  Is that near Houston?[/quote]

B UT You seem to have forgotten that West and Luskin's body of work have earned them the IDCoveted Dumb As A Texan Award, and if you weren't an arch-Darwinist with your head in a fossil, you would know this.!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Bing

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,19:54   

Quote (J-Dog @ Mar. 26 2009,15:25)
B UT You seem to have forgotten that West and Luskin's body of work have earned them the IDCoveted Dumb As A Texan Award,

Are they allowed to eat in the Baylor cafeteria?

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2009,20:03   

Quote (Bing @ Mar. 26 2009,19:54)
Quote (J-Dog @ Mar. 26 2009,15:25)
B UT You seem to have forgotten that West and Luskin's body of work have earned them the IDCoveted Dumb As A Texan Award,

Are they allowed to eat in the Baylor cafeteria?

I think they both may be qualified to work there - but not out front dealing with the public.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2009,07:53   

Quote [mined] from unknown source:

Something about it reminded me of Texas - the enormous, wide, open spaces, surrounded by teeth.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2009,14:18   

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastr....6-hours

Well, that was fast.

Texas Board of Education creationist Barbara Cargill today proposed an amendment to the science standards saying that teachers have to tell their students there are different estimates for the age of the Universe. This is not even a veiled attempt to attack the Big Bang model of the Universe, which clearly, and through multiple lines of evidence, indicates the Universe is 13.7 +/- 0.12 billion years old.

So Ms. Cargill is right, if she means that "different estimates" range from 13.58 to 13.82 (given one standard deviation) billion years old.

But she doesn’t mean that at all, does she? If you read her website, you’ll see she’s an out-and-out creationist. She has a large number of, um, factual errors on her site that are clearly right out of the Creationist Obscurational Handbook.

Anyway, her antiscience amendment passed 11 - 3.

So tomorrow that will go to the final vote on whether it will be added to the standards or not. With such a majority voting to pass it along, it looks like it will pass, and Texas students will get their chance to learn that the Universe is 6000 years old, and when they try to get a job or do anything later in life, they will be routinely laughed at.

That’s great, Texas! Keep on keepin’ on.

So I rescind my earlier post, and tentatively (until the final vote tomorrow) submit:

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2009,17:09   

Summary from Steve Schafersman's live blogging:

What is the bottom line? Did we win or lose? Neither. We got rid of the worst language, but a great deal of qualifying language remains. I am not going to claim either victory or defeat. I realize that Casey Luskin of Discovery Institute will declare complete, unqualified victory, but it is not that for them. Neither is it for us. The standards adopted were generally good, but there are several that are flawed, fortunately most in minor ways that textbook authors and publishers can deal with. I think we can work around the few flawed standards. But the point is that there shouldn't be ANY flawed standards. The science standards as submitted by the science writing teams were excellent and flaw-free. All the flaws were added by politically unscrupulous SBOE members with an extreme right-wing religious agenda to support Creationism.

Read Friday's liveblog here

As someone who has to use the standards, reading about how we get such insane language as "guidance" now becomes clear.  Even the ok standards are now a mess of impossible to parse grammar. Given the creationists on the Board, I guess we're lucky there aren't sections written in ALL CAPS.  ;)

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2009,19:06   

I think textbook publishers should take up the challenge and increase coverage of the evidence for evolution. This way they acknowledge opposition, but strengthen the argument for evolution.

--------------

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2009,19:41   

I would like to give a shout out to Mavis Knight of Dallas who made a sincere observation that Ms Dunbar had demonstrated "statesmanship" in her compromise.

However, I would like to slam moron and creationist chair McLemore for shouting down Mrs. Knight as "indecorous" regarding her comment about Dunbar.

Unfortunately for Knight, Dunbar was merely being sly, knowing that her wordsmithing which she is self-famous for was a meaningless gesture.

However, it did point out the extreme intolerance of the creationists to any criticism.

Academic freedom to a creationist means it's OK for them to spout their nonsense and everybody else has to STFU or show TITS.  I guess.

ppb

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2009,12:47   

Eugenie Scott of NCSE is going to be on the NPR program Science Friday tomorrow, April 10 at 2 PM EDT, talking about what's happening in Texas.

--------------
"[A scientific theory] describes Nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And it agrees fully with experiment. So I hope you can accept Nature as She is - absurd."
- Richard P. Feynman

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2009,18:32   

It is an incredible irony that the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) in science pannel meets this year in Texas.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

JLT

(Permalink) Posted: April 26 2009,17:35   

The Discovery Institute apparently sent out emails asking its "friends" to support Don McLeroy, chairman of the Texas SBOE. He was nominated for a second term as chairman but
it doesn't look all that good for him.

From the email:
"Supporting those, like Don McLeroy, who take a stand for academic freedom to question evolution at personal cost is one of the most important and effective things citizens can do," said CSC Associate Director John West. "It sends a message to elected officials that expelling leaders like Dr. McLeroy because of their stance on Darwin's theory is simply not acceptable."

Now it's expellimation if elected officials vote against a creationist. I'd thought that's called democracy.
But what do I know.

--------------
"Random mutations, if they are truly random, will affect, and potentially damage, any aspect of the organism, [...]
Thus, a realistic [computer] simulation [of evolution] would allow the program, OS, and hardware to be affected in a random fashion." GilDodgen, Frilly shirt owner

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2009,16:12   

McLeroy confirmation fails!

Details at TFN:

Texas Freedom Network Blog

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2009,16:49   

Quote (Doc Bill @ May 28 2009,17:12)

Details at TFN:

Just came running to tell it. You gotta be quick around here...

:p

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2009,18:36   

Quote (Lou FCD @ May 28 2009,16:49)

Details at TFN:

Hmmm.... It looks like Perry can still pick another yahoo however, so this is stop-gap at best.  

Come on Texans!

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2009,19:18   

Quote (J-Dog @ May 28 2009,19:36)

Details at TFN:

Hmmm.... It looks like Perry can still pick another yahoo however, so this is stop-gap at best.  

Come on Texans!

Also kind of depressing that he got a majority of yes votes. Fortunately, a simple majority doesn't cut it, but still.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

AmandaHuginKiss

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2009,20:21   

Quote (Lou FCD @ May 29 2009,12:18)
Quote (J-Dog @ May 28 2009,19:36)

Details at TFN:

Come on Texans!

Also kind of depressing that he got a majority of yes votes. Fortunately, a simple majority doesn't cut it, but still.

Split along party lines. Some Republicans could have voted for McLeroy to satisfy their voter base, knowing that he was going to be kicked out in any case. There was apparently a big letter writing campaign supporting McLeroy and this could have worried them.

92 replies since Oct. 14 2008,09:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]