RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 475 476 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 484 485 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,14:38   

Quote (k.e.. @ Aug. 21 2009,02:53)

Quote (Ptaylor @ Aug. 21 2009,10:21)

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 21 2009,17:58)
Before they go:
<snip>

...add to that BillB's comment:            
PZ’s critisism concerns the representation of Dawkins WEASEL algorithm in Dembski and Marks paper. Dembski and Marks represent the algorithm incorrectly.

If D and M want to claim that WEASEL actually includes extra components that Dawkins never included in his description, then they need to make these claims clear in their paper, and provide some argument or evidence to support them.

As it stands the description of WEASEL in their paper misrepresents Dawkins algorithm. A reader who is familiar with Dawkins book, or who follows up the reference, will also see that is is misrepresented, and that can cast doubt on the validity of D and M’s conclusions. A bit more checking and it would become clear that D and M have had this pointed out to them prior to publication, and yet they never corrected the mistake, or acknowledged that their representation was unorthodox.

The bottom line is that it is wrong to misrepresent other peoples work. Dembski and Marks are providing a very good reason for readers doubt or dismiss their papers conclusions so they really haven’t done themselves any favours.

Clive (hi Clive!) has essentially reopened comments for Dr Dembski's closed thread, in a well thought out plan.

lol

The question has to be asked.

Where the Hell do Marks and Dembski think they are going?

Where ever it is, they have the front seats on the bus.

The bus is so short the back seat is also the front seat.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,14:45   

This is a good day for UD!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,14:49   

The stupid is latching. What other explanation is there?

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,15:05   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Aug. 21 2009,14:49)
The stupid is latching. What other explanation is there?

LXXXXVIIII > Implicitly quasi-latching, Bill.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,15:10   

Note that if you remove any part of the latch, it will no longer function as a latch.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,15:14   

Quote (dheddle @ Aug. 21 2009,15:10)
Note that if you remove any part of the latch, it will no longer function as a latch.

'Tis true and, alas for poor Ken Miller, it couldn't be used as a tie clip. However, it still could function as a butt plug to stop the flow of written diarrhea from various denizens of UD

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,15:22   

Oh. Noes.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/humor....-330853

O'Leary

08/21/2009

3:13 pm
Alas, this is one of those Snopes things that actually happens to be true – in a general way.

So many times, teachers have cried over their coffee to ME about this very problem: Parents who don’t insist on common sense rules like “You must do your homework before you can enjoy your favourite shows” are outraged and lie for their child.

But, of course, no school administration would really dare put up such an answering machine message because at least one outraged – completely irresponsible – parent might be rich enough to sue, due to feeling “insulted.” Maybe suing from a foreign jurisdiction?

Please remember what I said above:

Minor child education is a ball game in which the parent is the last receiver of the ball.

So if the parent simply drops the ball, why blame anyone who actually passed the ball correctly?

That’s what the YouTube message is trying to get across, and it is a very important message – even if no one anywhere would dare let such a message really happen, in these times.

Emphasis mine.

ETA "functionaly domains"? Gah! I no can has pier rebiews.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,15:34   

lolololol

it doesn't know "Youtube" from "fallopian tube"

"actually happens to be true- in a general way".... e.g. in a way that has absolutely nothing to do with anything about the story.  

no such school
no such teachers
no such message

what is true?  that parents are sad sacks?  well no shit.  

if there is no correlation between sad sackery and creationism, the odds are that there are moresad sack creationist parents than not.    suck it, Dennis

UD.  BEST SITE EVAR

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,15:36   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Aug. 21 2009,15:29)
Dembski is a credulous moron

21 August 2009
[Off-topic:] School Answering Machine
William Dembski

I’m told that the Maroochydore High School, Queensland, Australia, staff voted unanimously to record the following message on their school telephone answering machine, prompted by a school policy requiring students and parents to be responsible for their children’s absences and missing homework. Apparently, the school and teachers are being sued by parents who want their children’s failing grades changed to passing grades — even though those children had double-digit absences during the semester and didn’t do enough work to finish their classes.

LISTEN AND ENJOY!

truth be told this pile of horseshit is actually ON TOPIC for UD.  in other words fanciful delusions are the entree du jour

from the source that has PWNZESGEHGWSEBED@#EWSG multiple UD gaffes....

High School Confidential

Claim:   Pacific Palisades High School placed an unusual message on their school telephone answering system.

Example:   [Collected on the Internet, 2002]

This is the answering machine message the Pacific Palisades High School (California) Staff voted to record on their school telephone answering system.

This came about because they implemented a policy requiring students and parents to be responsible for their children's absences and missing homework. The school and teachers are being sued by parents who want their children's failing grades changed to passing grades even though those children were absent 15-30 times during the semester and did not complete enough school work to pass their classes. This was voted unanimously by the office staff as the actual answering machine message for the school:

"Hello! You have reached the automated answering service of your school. In order to assist you in connecting the right staff member, please listen to all your options before making a selection:

* To lie about why your child is absent, press 1
   * To make excuses for why your child did not do his work, press 2
   * To complain about what we do, press 3
   * To swear at staff members, press 4
   * To ask why you didn't get information that was already enclosed in your newsletter and several flyers mailed to you, press 5
   * If you want us to raise your child, press 6
   * If you want to reach out and touch, slap or hit someone, press 7
   * To request another teacher for the third time this year, press 8
   * To complain about bus transportation, press 9
   * To complain about school lunches, press 0
   * If you realize this is the real world and your child must be accountable and responsible for his/her own behavior, class work, homework, and that it's not the teachers' fault for your children's lack of effort ... hang up and have a nice day!"

Variations:   A March 2009 version identified the institution as Maroochydore High School, in Queensland, Australia, and added a further "menu option" of 'If you want this in another language, move to a country that speaks it.'

HAHAHAHAHA d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-dembski FAIL

ETA  seriously, this fucking clown says "I am told" as if that aired legitimacy to this street theater.  Who told you that Bill?  Probably the same brain trust that "told you" about "methinks tis a weasel".  

I would like to see Bill Dembski fight hot lava

Jiminy Crickets! Can someone direct Dr Dr Bill to snopes.com?

ETA: I see snopes was already mentioned

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,15:48   

So many times, teachers have cried over their coffee to ME about this very problem

Coffee! --  standard ISO-approved disclaimer; Obviously they didn't expect anyone to take them seriously.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,15:51   

Gordon Mullings says

One adjustment: CRD did not have to use EXPLICIT latching, to get the sort of apparent — indeed, evident — latching effect we can see in the 1986 published o/p from “good” runs:

Does Gordon admit that his "evidence" of the Blind Watchmaker printed runs could equally be evidence of no EXPLICIT latcing? I think so? Then Mullings uses the dictionary to prove that Weasel latches

Then Gordon turns to himself in the mirror and says
And, it seems that the cognitive dissonance at work among Darwinists has filled many with a need to deflect inconvenient facts, through red herrings, strawman distortions and ad hominem attacks.

And then
Sad, but revealing of the parlous state of Darwinism in the Darwin 200 year.

That's right. 200 years and counting. Don't it burn ya up Mullings?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,16:09   

Quote (deadman_932 @ Aug. 21 2009,20:21)
KhorusFreakus screeches loudly

BillB:

You are wrong, as long since step by step and repeatedly pointed out, and are insistent on using ad hominems against me.

You have sacrificed any right to civil discourse.

Good bye

GEM of TARD

Sploink!, there goes my irony meter (Again!!!)

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,16:16   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Aug. 21 2009,16:34)
lolololol

it doesn't know "Youtube" from "fallopian tube"

"actually happens to be true- in a general way".... e.g. in a way that has absolutely nothing to do with anything about the story.  

no such school
no such teachers
no such message

what is true?  that parents are sad sacks?  well no shit.  

if there is no correlation between sad sackery and creationism, the odds are that there are moresad sack creationist parents than not.    suck it, Dennis

UD.  BEST SITE EVAR

That’s hardly the point. The pictures of Marines praying are real. The fighting and dying to protect the interests of the United States is real. The request to pray for them is real. The Tard at UD is real.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,17:21   

CliveBaby:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/educati....-330869

Clive Hayden

08/21/2009

5:15 pm
R0b,

It cannot be common and uncommon at the same time. If the phrase is not a target, then any accumulation goes, and the whole weasel endeavor is for naught.

A dog has 4 legs like a table, but isn't wooden like a table.

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,17:54   

Lamarck reflects upon his edumacation:

History class was history of racism and trivialities of war class, algebra was used by 5% of the class after graduating, biology delivers it’s awkward picture, English was history and sociology class mainly, psych class was new age generalities mixed with darwinesque propaganda, we were encouraged to not use dictionaries, chemistry is administered in the most non-applicable way possible, and then the military recruiters sat in the lunchroom while peace activist recruiters weren’t allowed in.

He forgot to add, "and then I became an ID advocate."

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,18:40   

Davey Lives!

(I must not finish with "Too bad."  I must not finish with "Too bad."  I must not . . .)

Timothy McDougald

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,19:24   

Quote (BillB @ Aug. 21 2009,16:09)
Quote (deadman_932 @ Aug. 21 2009,20:21)
KhorusFreakus screeches loudly

BillB:

You are wrong, as long since step by step and repeatedly pointed out, and are insistent on using ad hominems against me.

You have sacrificed any right to civil discourse.

Good bye

GEM of TARD

Sploink!, there goes my irony meter (Again!!!;)

Were those ad hominems latched at each step or what? Because if they weren't latched ID proves it didn't happen :)

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

RDK

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,19:51   

Quote (Tracy P. Hamilton @ Aug. 21 2009,14:38)
Quote (k.e.. @ Aug. 21 2009,02:53)

Quote (Ptaylor @ Aug. 21 2009,10:21)

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 21 2009,17:58)
Before they go:
<snip>

...add to that BillB's comment:            
PZ’s critisism concerns the representation of Dawkins WEASEL algorithm in Dembski and Marks paper. Dembski and Marks represent the algorithm incorrectly.

If D and M want to claim that WEASEL actually includes extra components that Dawkins never included in his description, then they need to make these claims clear in their paper, and provide some argument or evidence to support them.

As it stands the description of WEASEL in their paper misrepresents Dawkins algorithm. A reader who is familiar with Dawkins book, or who follows up the reference, will also see that is is misrepresented, and that can cast doubt on the validity of D and M’s conclusions. A bit more checking and it would become clear that D and M have had this pointed out to them prior to publication, and yet they never corrected the mistake, or acknowledged that their representation was unorthodox.

The bottom line is that it is wrong to misrepresent other peoples work. Dembski and Marks are providing a very good reason for readers doubt or dismiss their papers conclusions so they really haven’t done themselves any favours.

Clive (hi Clive!) has essentially reopened comments for Dr Dembski's closed thread, in a well thought out plan.

lol

The question has to be asked.

Where the Hell do Marks and Dembski think they are going?

Where ever it is, they have the front seats on the bus.

Haha.  Every time I need cheering up I come to this thread.

--------------
If you are not:
Leviathan
please Logout under Meta in the sidebar.

‘‘I was like ‘Oh my God! It’s Jesus on a banana!’’  - Lisa Swinton, Jesus-eating pagan

Gunthernacus

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,20:24   

GillyD on the hoax thread:

I was extraordinarily blessed by public education, in a small town called Pullman, Washington (in an era gone by, the 1950s and 1960s). My teachers were almost all terrific. I remember:

My junior-high science teacher, who spent extra time after school explaining things to me that I did not understand. My high-school French teacher who gave me a love of foreign language and literature. My high-school math teacher who inspired me. Our choir director, whose choirs I accompanied on the piano.

All of these teachers had very high standards, and for that I am grateful.

From GillyD's post, "The Atheism Delusion: The Destructive Power of Materialist Indoctrination ":

I was an atheist, brainwashed by the establishment, into my 40s. I got a triple dose of indoctrination: from the public schools, from the secular environment in which I grew up (a small college town, surrounded by intellectual university types), and from the university itself.

Tard.

--------------
Given that we are all descended from Adam and Eve...genetic defects as a result of intra-family marriage would not begin to crop up until after the first few dozen generations. - Dr. Hugh Ross

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,21:14   

A bus that short is called a car. ;)

Henry

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,22:25   

Quote (Henry J @ Aug. 21 2009,21:14)

A bus that short is called a car. ;)

Henry

Short bus, Texas style!

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

MichaelJ

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,22:42   

Quote (Gunthernacus @ Aug. 21 2009,20:24)
GillyD on the hoax thread:

I was extraordinarily blessed by public education, in a small town called Pullman, Washington (in an era gone by, the 1950s and 1960s). My teachers were almost all terrific. I remember:

My junior-high science teacher, who spent extra time after school explaining things to me that I did not understand. My high-school French teacher who gave me a love of foreign language and literature. My high-school math teacher who inspired me. Our choir director, whose choirs I accompanied on the piano.

All of these teachers had very high standards, and for that I am grateful.

From GillyD's post, "The Atheism Delusion: The Destructive Power of Materialist Indoctrination ":

I was an atheist, brainwashed by the establishment, into my 40s. I got a triple dose of indoctrination: from the public schools, from the secular environment in which I grew up (a small college town, surrounded by intellectual university types), and from the university itself.

Tard.

Atheist until his Forties? I can understand somebody becoming a deist of a theist at that age but you would have thought that an normal person would have developed enough common sense to avoid becoming a creationist at that age.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2009,23:17   

Quote (Maya @ Aug. 21 2009,16:40)
Davey Lives!

(I must not finish with "Too bad."  I must not finish with "Too bad."  I must not . . .)

Dave's the quintessential groupie: months after being fired, he's STILL tossing Dembski's salad on his own time.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Goffr

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2009,02:36   

Dumski thinks he is a clever dick. From his paper

E. Partitioned Search
Partitioned search [12] is a “divide and conquer” procedure
best introduced by example. Consider the L = 28 character
phrase

METHINKS ? IT ? IS ? LIKE ? A ? WEASEL. (19)

Suppose that the result of our first query of L = 28 characters
is

SCITAMROFN ? IYRANOITULOVE ? SAM. (20)

Two of the letters {E, S} are in the correct position. They are
shown in a bold font. In partitioned search, our search for these
letters is finished. For the incorrect letters, we select 26 new
letters and obtain

OOT ? DENGISEDESEHT ? ERA?NETSIL. (21)

Oh wait what is that random phrase reversed?
SCITAMROFN ? IYRANOITULOVE ? SAM

MAS EVOLUTIONARYINFROMATICS

OOT ? DENGISEDESEHT ? ERA?NETSIL

LISTEN ARE THESE DESIGNED TOO.

oh ha ha.

It's a shame Dawkins' program DOESN'T MUTATUTE EVERY CHARACTER EACH GENERATION. Man is this guy full retard.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2009,03:03   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 22 2009,01:21)
CliveBaby:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/educati....-330869

Clive Hayden

08/21/2009

5:15 pm
R0b,

It cannot be common and uncommon at the same time. If the phrase is not a target, then any accumulation goes, and the whole weasel endeavor is for naught.

A dog has 4 legs like a table, but isn't wooden like a table.

HEY GORDON & CLIVE:

IT'S A FRIKKEN CLOUD NOT A FRIKKEN WEASEL.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2009,04:10   

Gordon accidently explains a lot:    

kairosfocus

08/21/2009

10:14 am

Onlookers:

I have had net access headaches overnight.

I will remark on a few pints for the record:

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2009,04:11   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Aug. 21 2009,23:17)

Quote (Maya @ Aug. 21 2009,16:40)
Davey Lives!

Dave's the quintessential groupie: months after being fired, he's STILL tossing Dembski's salad on his own time.

In fairness, Dave pretty much gets it

Posted by: Dave Springer | August 21, 2009 8:48 PM

The Dembski and Marks paper is essentially correct although I don't agree that information can ever be lost. For many years theoretical physicists were arguing over whether dropping an encyclopedia into a black hole could destroy the information in it. The argument continues although Hawkings, who made the famous bet, conceded that the information would not be lost and would eventually reemerge in subtle patterns of Hawking radiation. So Dembski is in good company as far as conservation of information goes.

I remarked to him that the response from the chance & necessity crowd (the informed responses anyhow) would be that the information leading to diversification and adaptation of life comes from the environment. Said information has been in the environment since the creation of the universe. Mutation provides a constant source of queries to the environment and acquires active information from that source. The active information then becomes endogenous information through heredity. Therefore I didn't see how this casts any additional doubt on the sufficiency of the genetic search, given the resources (time and number of organisms) available to the mechanism, to transform all that exogenous information to endogenous.

The big question is where did the information come from in the first place rather than how it changed form. Inevitably the question leads to cosmology and the fine tuning problem. I don't really have a bone to pick with modification with descent over billions of years turning mud to man. What I have a problem with is the probability of it happening without the deck being stacked to make it happen. This is more or less in alignment with the thinking of deists like Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and Albert Einstein so I don't feel like I'm in totally bad company.
(emphasis added)

OK, I don't see the necessity for the deism angle, but at least he sees that the argument isn't a problem for evolution.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2009,04:18   

Clive:

Clive Hayden

08/21/2009

11:37 pm

R0b,

I made no concession. “Weasel” has nothing in common with life, remember, life’s not like that, it doesn’t search out a target, so there is no Weasel to be got. And having no goal does mean that there is no goal, not even fitness as a goal, for you would have no criterion for fitness, for there is nothing to compare any accumulation to.

Shorter Clive: it's impossible to go uphill, unless you explicitly want to reach the summit.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2009,06:45   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Aug. 22 2009,10:18)

18 –> In either case, these searches would for sure fail to arrive at and preserve say METHINKS*IT*IS*LIKE*A*BEAGLE, as the embedded target in teh program now pushes the string away from the target. That is, the Weasel type algorithm with the wrong target is sure to fail, even while just plain random chance has 1 in 10^40 or so odds of getting home on any one toss.

Wow, you don't get any dumber than that!

Shorter KF:

If you don't specify a target then you won't find a target, therefore it fails.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2009,07:22   

Has anyone been following BA77's foray into Pharyngula of late. Funny doesn't even begin to cover it. Ahhh YouTube, where would kooks be without you?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 475 476 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 484 485 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]