RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 368 369 370 371 372 [373] 374 375 376 377 378 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,00:09   

Um... Okay, first off: what are the two fuzzy, breast-like things on the front of ID Minister Sal-vation? A really bad plastic surgery job, or a reach-up chest grab from the Cookie Monster? I think I'm going to wig. :p

They're microphones.  The original picture was one of 'Baghdad Bob' taken at a press conference.  Don't wig just yet, let me get my video recorder first.  ;)

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,00:32   

They're microphones. The original picture was one of 'Baghdad Bob' taken at a press conference. Don't wig just yet, let me get my video recorder first.

You lie, they're totally tribbles, and Sal is quadrotriticale. They're munching him. Poor Sal.
*Crunch!* I can't look. :p

Voice-over: "Gentlemen and women, we can redesign him. We have the theology. We can make him better, stronger, faster..." *Cue bad theme music.*

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,00:38   

... and she said. "I would, if it'd fit in my mouth!" haha.

Okay, all the way from Inbred, Texas, we've got a very funny young comic. Ladies, Gentleman and Arden please give a warm AtBC welcome to Dave 'cheesypoofs' Tard!

*encourages applause*

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/2000#comments

Did you hear about the Showtime docudrama about the private and working lives of Professor Jon Alston and Barrett Brown? It’s called Brokeback Bookwriters.

*silence*

A rolling tumbleweed does not phase two crows picking at a sun-bleached bone. The wind picks up, banging what's left of the door of an old wooden building. in the distance, a bell rings.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,01:05   

Quote (bfish @ Jan. 26 2007,00:08)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 25 2007,13:24)
In 1972, a crack design detection unit was sent to prison by a liberal homo court for a crime they didn't commit.

OK, there are a lot of pretty durned funny posts on this thread, but this one grabbed my funny bone. What a great TV show that would make.

Somehow reminds me of an old Billy Crystal bit on SNL, wherein he describes the new (fake) TV shows coming out, including:
"Pope and Chimp." One's the Pope. The other's a chimp.
They're detectives.

Dembski: Hannibal
DaveTard: BA Baracus
O'Leary: Face [NO SNIGGERING]
JoeG: Murdoch

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,01:10   

Quote (Henry J @ Jan. 25 2007,22:11)
Re "I know, you're thinking that the frontal noodlepacks and the mesobrainstalk danglingbasil also grow echoing motorplants through more massive bundles of sparky angelhair."

The who whatting how with huh? :)

Recip Bill is channeling k.e....

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,01:25   

Someone asked me if the appearance of the title, "When Arrogance and Stupidity Collide", on Uncommon Descent meant that they were finally paying attention to truth-in-advertising regulations.

Edited by Wesley R. Elsberry on Jan. 26 2007,02:12

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,01:33   

My first and probably last ever post to UD.

"Thanks for the "heads up."  I'll be looking forward to reading "Flock of Dodos" although I doubt it will be as well featured in the next "Pandas trial" as was "While Intellignet Design Fails" in the famous Behe cross examination melt down."

(I always make the same spelling error of "Intellignet" but only regarding "intelligent design."  It must be deeply Freudian).

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,02:59   

Deluded evolutionists are controlling what gets published in their journals, and the submitted papers are peer-reviewed by equally deluded evolutionists. Any paper on the theory of creation has the chance of a snowball in ####. There is no way to get it peer-reviewed, simply because there are no qualified peers to review it, only a bunch of lamebrained evolutionists.

http://www.overwhelmingevidence.com/oe....ent-849
Kazmer Ujvarosy for some reason feels moved to defend why he's never had any paper peer reviewed. You gettin this you "bunch of lamebrained evolutionists"?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Renier

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,04:20   

I have not been over at UD for some time, so I thought I will have a look at some of the threads...

*** Warning, irony meters unplugged! ***

From here

TerryL presents :

I’d like to think that the future of atheism is bleak–except for the annoying tendency of human beings to believe whatever the #### they want to believe.

Darwinism is a case in point. There is scant evidence FOR it, mountains of evidence AGAINST it, and yet well-educated, intelligent people still hold it to be true, and are willing to castigate all doubters and dissenters as “ignorant, stupid, or insane” (to quote Richard Dawkins in The Blind Watchmaker.)

and goes on to describe someone without faith...

This is not to say that all evidence says whatever we want it to say, but merely that the tendency to believe whatever one wants to believe is a profoundly HUMAN tendency–and thus, atheism, however poorly supported, will never be eliminated. Too bad. It takes much more faith to be an atheist than to be a theist.

as having faith....

Quality Tard, no preservatives added - All Natural.

djmullen

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,04:48   

24 January 2007
McGrath vs. Dennett on the future of atheism
William Dembski
This year’s Greer-Heard Point-Counterpoint Forum pits Alister McGrath against Daniel Dennett (last year’s pitted me against Michael Ruse):

The Greer-Heard Point-Counterpoint Forum in Faith and Culture is a pilot program of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.

Dennett is really slumming.

djmullen

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,05:33   

The writing of Quizzlestick and Kazmer Ujvarosy has been commented on, but I want to post some extensive excerpts of their work here because this is A1, First Quality, Bottled in Bond, ID Grade, Straight From the Locked Ward, Flatulating Gibberish.

From Overwhelming Word Salad:

I'd like to introduce one of the scientists who will ensure that it is so. He is building on the work of Behe and Dembski. He is also one of the best communicators that the ID community could ever wish for. I would like to introduce Dr. Kazmer Ujavorsy, chief scientist of the Frontline Science Institute, one of the most prestigious research organizations dedicated to Intelligent Design.

While mainstream science predicts that we would not be able to make testable claims about ID, Kazmer has done exactly that. His astonishing predictions unify areas of science which were previously considered unrelated. He may be, in the opinion of many ID researchers, at the verge of discovering a “theory of everything”, one of the goals of high-energy physics. This is a challenge which even Einstein and Hawking have failed.

But let's examine some of his discoveries – these extracts from a recent peer-reviewed paper published at the American Chronicle show the depth and breadth of his important research:

“Dark energy, that drives the expansion of the universe, is one of the deepest and most exciting puzzles in modern science. We posit that dark energy is the field manifestation of the parent seed of the universe, just as the cosmic vacuum’s zero-point energy. They all originate from the cosmic seed’s biophoton emissions, which blackbody radiation provides a holographic biofield for the generation of the physical universe. Based on the fact that the biophotonic radiation emitted by DNA is coherent, we predict that the cosmic seed's biophotonic field or "dark energy" is equally coherent.”

“The elusive Higgs boson – so vital to the Standard Model of particle physics that it is dubbed “the God particle” – is identical with the genotype of the phenotype universe, and each human genome is its reproduction. Based on this identification we posit that mass-giving is life-giving because the elementary particles that come into contact with the cosmic seed's biofield or quantum vacuum receive their mass and property as a result of that interaction. “

Both of these are 100% testable scientific statements. For example, to falsify we merely have to observe a Higgs boson to see if it has the expected properties. What could be simpler?

If Kazmer were still laboring under the shackles of materialism would any of this have been possible? Of course not – these are the kinds of discoveries that can only come about when we first reject the rigid dogma of the philosophy behind atheism and Darwinism's only life-support.

And the good Mr. Kazmer does not disappoint:

Why Rational Thinkers Value the Theory of Intelligent Design

Because logically the existing most advanced form of life constitutes the cosmic system's input and output -- just as an acorn constitutes the mighty oak's input and output --, and because we have no knowledge of a more advanced life form than human life, the necessary inference is that human life or intelligence generated the universe for the production of human life in its own image, just as a seed generates a tree for the purpose of self-reproduction.

Thus, whereas the theory of evolution posits common descent from a simple beginning, the scientific theory of creation posits common descent from the most advanced form of life that exists. As we have no confirmable evidence that a life form superior to human life exists, we are constrained to propose that human life constitutes the seed of the universe, pending the discovery of a superior non-human form of life.

Of course it is not mandatory to take it for granted that human life constitutes the seed of the universe. This theory of creation is testable and can be falsified. After all the proposed sole actor, namely human life, most definitely exists, and is available for observations and experiments.

To conclude, if we posit common descent from the highest form of life that exists, we have a rational theory which is consistent with the data we have.

But Kaz's best is yet to come.  Here's his (rather unusual) cure for cancer:      

When we diagnose cancer, the treatment is still primarily surgical, commonly
combined with radiation therapy and anticancer drugs. The aim of these
treatments is to suppress, or arrest, the unrestrained growth of cells in
the body organs or tissues. In the case of many man-made systems we are
similarly faced with situations where processes deviate from the normal
operation of the system. But the remedy for such deviations is surprisingly
simple: negative feedback.
So how can a human being transform himself into a closed-loop control system
for the proper regulation of his cell production? The answer is the feedback
of his body's genetic output. What is the genetic output of his body?
Answer: the reproductive cells.
The literature on the subject reveals that the feedback of reproductive
cells for the regulation or revitalization of the human organism was
recommended by folk medicine and alchemy as well. Traditional medicine
attributed transformative powers to the human reproductive cells and often
termed that product of the body "universal medicine," "elixir," or
"philosopher's stone." It is also on record that:

1.. The Yellow Emperor of China (c. 2697-2598 B.C.) practiced the
feedback of his own reproductive cells for therapeutic purposes. (A.
Ishihara & H. S. Levy, The Tao of Sex, Harper & Row, New York, 1970.)
   2.. Christ partook of his own semen to show that "we must so do, that we
may live." (Interrogationes Maiores Mariae, quoted by St. Epiphanius in his
Panarion, XXVI, cap. VIII.)
   3.. A Gnostic sect celebrated the Eucharist (spiritual communion with
God) by eating "... 'their own sperm,'
declaring it to be 'the body of
Christ.'" ("Gnosticism," Encyclopedia of Erotic Wisdom, R. C. Camphausen,
Inner Traditions International, Rochester, Vermont, 1991.)
   4.. "Semen, or Bindu, is held to be the true elixir of life by Yoga and
Tantric schools alike."
(J. Mumford, Sexual Occultism, Llewellyn, Saint
Paul, 1975.)
   5.. "Human semen, as medicine, is used by many peoples, as by the
Australians, who believe it an infallible remedy for severe illness.
It is
so used in European folk-custom " (E. Crawley, The Mystic Rose, Macmillan,
London, 1902.)
   6.. Dutch missionaries in New Guinea observed that among many tribes
"the male's semen was regarded as a sacred substance" and was used in
healing and in fighting epidemics
("Sperm Magic," Encyclopedia of Erotic
Wisdom, R. C. Camphausen, Inner Traditions International, Rochester,
Vermont, 1991.)
Kazmer Ujvarosy
Academia Consulting
konzultant at yahoo.com

You heard it from quizzlestick.  He's "building on the work of Behe and Dembski."  I can't help but comment that all four of these gentlemen appear to be 100 percent cancer free.  Come to think of it, so are Sal and DaveTard.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Edited to bold some of the more interesting sections.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,05:44   

Quote (2ndclass @ Jan. 25 2007,12:02)
In spite of the evidence for it, I'm having a hard time believing that Kazmer is for real.  Has anyone seen him and Lou FCD in the same place at the same time?  No?  According to my Super Premium Explanatory Filter, this proves that Kazmer was designed by Lou.

Not mine.

:D

Actually the girls have been keeping me busy writing smut.

I wasn't going to pimp the girls' blogs about this here, but since you brought it up...

Check out The Itch by Janie and Quiet The Hum by Kate.

Just so y'know.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

djmullen

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,06:08   

Egads!  I found quizzlestick's picture here.  Is he a she?  What a pity if she is.  If she gets cancer, how will she cure herself?

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,06:12   

Re "Sorry to nitpick but the noodlepack-mesobrainstalk interface is known to be IC and can never be transversed unless the sparky angelhair is "in knip". Other than that, I think you've nailed it."

I'm not so sure about that there...

Henry

Only a comminted apetheist lays eyestalks on the astonishingly interconnected human noodlepacks, sparky angelhair - indeed the entire bodybag - and fails to see Irreproducible Complicationality.

And only a dogleg maternalist believes these obviously designed structures evolved in 10^17 seconds flat, or that they have anything to do with human altrutheism, Mozartacity, and ultimately human spreedom and moronality – all the province of the eterminable detachable ghost.

Open your earwigs to the truthiness before it is too lame.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Jake

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,06:13   

Man, there are so many fakers on that site. I think Ive just spotted another (Im not going to say who, Ill let them play as long as they can get away with it). Without exaggeration, I would guess between 10 and 15 percent of their membership is taking the ****.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,06:28   

Quote (djmullen @ Jan. 26 2007,05:33)
The writing of Quizzlestick and Kazmer Ujvarosy has been commented on, but I want to post some extensive excerpts of their work here because this is A1, First Quality, Bottled in Bond, ID Grade, Straight From the Locked Ward, Flatulating Gibberish...

Wow. It's like they're getting warmed up to take on the Urantia Book.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,07:16   

Quote (guthrie @ Jan. 25 2007,16:04)
Glen, your website is interesting, except that the colours suggest that you might be colour blind or else want to burn out your visitors eyes.  

I'm sure any threat to your vision was unconscious on his part.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,07:47   

Quote (Zachriel @ Jan. 26 2007,07:16)

Quote (guthrie @ Jan. 25 2007,16:04)
Glen, your website is interesting, except that the colours suggest that you might be colour blind or else want to burn out your visitors eyes.  

I'm sure any threat to your vision was unconscious on his part.

But it's good to know that DS is scouring this thread daily for tidbits:

Colorblind or Psychotic? You be the judge…
DaveScot
Evolution Pundit Glenn Davidson’s Website

Dave, although you took thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

k.e.

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,08:30   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Jan. 25 2007,18:16)
Quote (Glen Davidson @ Jan. 25 2007,15:23)
...It is well understood that consciousness is not only restricted to an area, or more likely in my judgment (and that of others), to several areas, but that consciousness can diminish or disappear from conscious areas.  This is why consciousness of certain functions disappears with those functions during dream states, or in other altered states of consciousness...

Consciousness.  Here's how it works:

See, atop the brainstalk and under the noodlepacks are two rumballs.  Everything harvested by the eyestalks and earwigs and bodybag echoes through the rumballs, which hum and sing and strobe and scan the noodlepacks through massive bundles of sparky angelhair.  Yet ten times more information descends from the noodlepacks into the rumballs than the reverse (hence the phrase “the remembered present”) as the noodlepack-rumball echochamber is gaited by the reticularactionbaiting system, which is stretched over the brainstalk and rumballs like a cheap stocking.

I know, you’re thinking that the frontal noodlepacks and the mesobrainstalk danglingbasil also grow echoing motorplants through more massive bundles of sparky angelhair. And you’d be right.  All goosed and framed and valence-tagged by intrinsic mammaryanimal noodlepaths for SEEKING, RAGE, FEAR, PLAY, ATTACHMENT, PANIC, and so forth.  

That's it in a nutshell.

MY noodles  can't soak that , in fact they packed their rumballs and rolled so far over to the side, hair started geting stuck the de-quantumiser and almost sucked everything into a bord wender.

My 12th premium  award for tardockery goes 1/2 to Reciprocating Bill
and 1/2 to Michael Tuite for  Sal "Look, no Infidels here' Disnformation Minister.

An honorable mention to Richard (again....bastard!)

And in case you're wondering where the other 11 awards  went ......I awarded them to ME :D I would have invited you all to the post award party but Paris and PDiddy etc took all the available places.
At least that's how I remember it after I woke up.

k.e.

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,08:44   

Quote (keiths @ Jan. 26 2007,01:10)
Re "I know, you're thinking that the frontal noodlepacks and the mesobrainstalk danglingbasil also grow echoing motorplants through more massive bundles of sparky angelhair."

The who whatting how with huh? :)

Recip Bill is channeling k.e....

Hey!!

It's ALL his own work.

I'll need at least 3 large Vodkas to top that.

mutter...splutter...

Altabin

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,08:51   

Quote (djmullen @ Jan. 26 2007,13:08)
Egads!  I found quizzlestick's picture here.  Is he a she?  What a pity if she is.  If she gets cancer, how will she cure herself?

It's not entirely clear from Kazmer's fascinating research - he probably needs to gather some more hard experimental data - but there's no reason she has to consume her own semen.

Yeehah!  Bathroom Wall, HERE WE COME!

--------------

Altabin

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,09:04   

You cynics should note that Krazy Kazmer has provided falsifiable claims for his version of ID - which, let us never forget, is erected (!) on the foundations of Behe and Dembski.  Let's take a look:

• If a man constitutes the cosmic system's seed or input, then man is the cosmic system's end product or output as well. Goldstein and others can falsify this prediction by presenting a being that exists beyond and above human beings. If they have such a superhuman being in their closet, we'd like to have it presented for our examination.

Anyone?  Look behind your sneakers.

• If a man constitutes the cosmic system’s input and output, then the universe is an open system, it is open to human life or intelligence. This prediction can be falsified by the demonstration that a closed system can exist in fact.

Nope.  Didn't catch that one.

• If Christ is the seed of the universe, then he is the universal common ancestor of all things created. This prediction can be falsified by demonstrating that universal common ancestry is not a fact.

But I thought common ancestry was a falsifiability criterion of evol ... oh, never mind.

• If a man is the genotype of the phenotype universe, then the parameters or determining characteristics of the universe are exquisitely fine-tuned for our production, just as the parameters of an apple tree are exquisitely fine-tuned for the production of apples. Indeed, in astrophysics we find that the universe is remarkably biofriendly and is fine-tuned for our production.

And we falsify this ... how?

• If we constitute the end-product of creation, then we are supernatural relative to the universe, and consequently immortal. This prediction can be falsified by demonstrating that it is possible to eliminate human life.

Ebola boys, you know what you have to do.

• Finally, if Christ created the universe to have children in the form of human beings, then he is both the creator and the observer of creation. Thus the creator in person can make it known to his children how he created the universe for the production of progeny in his own image. Moreover our creator is likely to make himself known to his children. So he’s going to come and live with us again.

I'd better clean out the spare room.

So the conclusion is that ID predicts that Jesus will take over our couch.  And ID is falsified if this never happens.

Enough bitching, guys.  We got science here.

PS: People, are we doing anything worthwhile here?  Because it's beginning to feel like critiquing an astrology magazine.

--------------

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,09:15   

Quote (N.Wells @ Jan. 25 2007,23:44)
They'll swallow Noah, his ark, and the flood, and some of them will accept marsupials 'micro-evolving' to or from placentals in less than 4000 years (which is more rapid evolution than any biologist has ever considered possible), on the basis of no evidence whatsoever, as long as they can deny 'macro-evolution' and justify rejecting the idea of humans evolve from another ape.   The farther the taxonomic group is from humans, the less they object to insanely fast evolution (I've encountered suggestions of as few as seven basic kinds of dinosaurs and even fewer 'kinds' for fish and for 'bugs', encompassing orders, classes, and even phyla evolving in 4000 years), yet a 5-15 m.y. Cambrian explosion 'cannot be explained by scientists'.

Yes, but didn't you hear that there is a speed limit to evolution?

Haldane said so, or something.

So much for the ID big tent. As long as UD/ID keeps harping on a speed limit for evolution, YEC is "no longer with us." Hear that, Sal?

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,09:17   

DaveScot quoting Roddy Bullock  
Surprised? You should be. How can the exact same methodology be both {SETI and ID} touted as scientific and doubted as religious?

Because SETI is a *research program* that collects data to test a specific hypothesis. ID is an *unsupported conclusion*.

Are radio telescopes searching for Morse code-like evidence of space aliens inherently scientific while electron microscopes discovering source code-like evidence of design in the cell are not?

SETI doesn't search for complexity, but simplicity — a narrowband radio signal (with the appropriate Doppler shift).

Why are alien hunters with the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) permitted to infer intelligence if ever they find evidence of specified complexity, but microbiologists who actually find such evidence are lambasted for inferring the same cause?

It's the difference between testing and claiming.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

slpage

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,09:31   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 24 2007,15:32)
Funny how he didn't limit comments to those who have seen combat?

Cheesypoof Dave made sure the avionics where okay or some-such..

Is this accurate?

I had him pegged as a clerk of some sort, but an aircraft mechanic doesn't see combat either.

I suspected that he was not in a combat arms unit when he mocked me for being a paratrooper - the wannabe effect and all that...

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,09:35   

Banal misapplication of evolution.

Galen    
Kaufman quotes Arthur Brooks of Syracuse University who recently wrote in the Wall Street Journal, “if you picked 100 unrelated politically liberal adults at random, you would find that they had, between them, 147 children. If you picked 100 conservatives, you would find 208 kids. That’s a ‘fertility gap’ of 41 per cent. Given that about 80 percent of people with an identifiable party preference grow up to vote the same way as their parents, this gap translates into lots more little Republicans than little Democrats to vote in future elections.”

In general, conservatives are much more accepting of ID. I believe that this will help the ID movement in the future immensely.

Evolution's not true — except with regards to Republican hegemony in the United States. (That's so, like, pre-November 2006. Some memes die a slow and withering death. Like 'Mission Accomplished'.)

--------------

slpage

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,09:36   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Jan. 25 2007,10:59)
Bfast lays it on the line: "fuck you, we refuse to do research, and we're proud of it!":

bFast
01/25/2007
11:51 am
Ofro, “Go to the laboratory and provide empirical evidence that will convince everybody.”

The ID community is small compared to the research scientist community. However, the research sccientists are coming out with all sorts of evidence that cries for an ID interpretation. Do you remember those mice that had 100,000 highly conserved basepairs removed with no mesurable deleterious effects?

“Go to the laboratory” is a platitude, a brush off. While laboratory work is being done, analysis of the laboratory work of others is a hundred times more fruitful.

If anyone wanted a better statement of the parasitic nature of ID...

Yes, and science by quote is how the BEST science is doen!  Ask Wally 'electrical engineer creationist expert in all fields of science' ReMine - he'll tell ya'!

And way to go Brucie Fast - another in a long list of non-biologist computer tards who feel qualified - nay, compelled - to pontificate on things they have no education, experienc,e or training in.

Like science.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,09:46   

Quote (slpage @ Jan. 26 2007,09:36)

Bfast lays it on the line: "fuck you, we refuse to do research, and we're proud of it!":

"...The ID community is small compared to the research scientist community. However, the research sccientists are coming out with all sorts of evidence that cries for an ID interpretation. Do you remember those mice that had 100,000 highly conserved basepairs removed with no mesurable deleterious effects?"

The mice were doing ID research?

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,09:48   

Not that a) I am in any way disparaging the excellent and brave service given by our armed forces*, or b) I am some sort of soft Southern shandy drinking bastard called Tarquin who is scared of a pagga**, but since when did being shouted at by short, Scottish Colour Sergeants*** and being able to survive on your own shit for a month in the Arctic become the pinnacle of human acheivement?

Sorry but if D'Tard wishes to assure us all of his manliness by referring back to his military days and calling people "homo" every five minutes, he's failing. Badly. The man is clearly a cheesy poof guzzling, perfumed ponce of the first stripe. I've drunk harder water.

What is this obsession with the supposed "argumentative currency" some people have with soldiering? Or motherhood for that matter? If some venal tosspiece vomits their opinion at me with "Speaking as a mother..." or "Speaking as an ex-marine who refueled jets and tweaked knobs with my tool..." I might just have to become mildly vexed.

I'm writing to my MP immediately.

Louis

*I'm in the UK, these guys and girls do an excellent job and can be relied upon not to shoot people on their own team. Most of the time.

**A fight, scrap, barny, rumble etc

***UK specific, your mileage may vary.

--------------
Bye.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,09:48   

Interesting comment. Especially the Q&A.

amadan
It is very frustrating when ID is peremptorily dismissed as apologetics. Neo-Darwinism has much more in common with mediaeval superstitions and revealed religions. By stretching chance far beyond rationally tenable limits, it waves away its credibility. ID, in contrast, sits well within the materialist empiricism demanded by science.

That this empirical discipline is accepted not just by atheists like me but also by Christians is a happy paradox. I think someone once referred to ID as a ‘Big Tent’, though I dislike that term because of its political antecedents. When I was young I sometimes watched a BBC program called ‘Dr Who’ in which the hero used a time machine (!) that, from the outside was just a phone box, but on the inside somehow accommodated a large laboratory with blinking lights and mysterious whirring devices. Similarly, the elegant principles of ID accommodate a very catholic range of worldviews, making the whatever-it’s-called a nice metaphor for the ID ‘movement’.

I’m getting old! Any science fiction fans out there remember what Dr Who’s time machine was called?

tribune7
The TARDIS

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 368 369 370 371 372 [373] 374 375 376 377 378 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]