RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 367 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 377 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,14:21   

A prediction:

Front-loading predicts that all of the so-called junk DNA is being used in a subtle way, or was used by an ancestor in the past, or could be used by a descendant in the future, or could be present because it could one day be used in a different branch of the tree of life by a totally different hypothetical creature, in some hypothetical situation beyond our understanding, or could just be accumulated junk.

Gee, ya think? ;)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,14:30   

Quote (Henry J @ Jan. 25 2007,14:21)
A prediction:

Front-loading predicts that all of the so-called junk DNA is being used in a subtle way, or was used by an ancestor in the past, or could be used by a descendant in the future, or could be present because it could one day be used in a different branch of the tree of life by a totally different hypothetical creature, in some hypothetical situation beyond our understanding, or could just be accumulated junk.

Gee, ya think? ;)

So let me get clear on this:

Front loading predicts that all possible theories about 'junk DNA' are equally plausible. Is that about it?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Altabin

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,14:40   

Baghdad Sal:
The human genome project took 3 billion dollars and 13 years to complete. By comparison, Solexa might be able to do a comparable job for a few thousand dollars per person (ideally even less) and in a much shorter time frame. (See the UD sidebar on Solexa Genomics.) Solexa might be viewed as an unwitting research partner of the ID movement.

Oh Intelligent Design, why so many "unwitting" research partners?

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,14:51   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1998#comment-87400

William Dembski

01/25/2007

3:45 pm
Be careful, Sal. Evolutionary computing is a tool of the high-tech industry, so I can see this tool being used to justify the power of natural selection. The way to counter this move is to show that evolutionary computing is itself thoroughly teleological. This is an ongoing project of mine.

Eh..?
Bill, Honey, they're not writing 'search' software / doing optimizations... Genome? Anyone?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,15:11   

Disco Institute launches "SHARE-A-TARD" initiative

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1994#comment-87402

William Dembski

01/25/2007

3:50 pm
Sal, you’ve shown no lack of boldness in other contexts, so go for it here. If you like, email these people and cc me, indicating that I put you up to it

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Glen Davidson

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,15:23   

I have to answer this tard's false claims, for my own satisfaction:

mike1962

01/24/2007

8:36 am
Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Yeah, me too. If consciousness *is* the activity of the brain, then why only a subset of it’s activity?

I haven't read the Time piece (no reason to, since Damasio and Dennett have no explanations for consciousness's aspects), but of course consciousness is not "the activity of the brain", it is "an activity of the brain."  It arises from only a subset of its activity, as Mike1962 notes, and any explanation must account for this.  That Dennett and Damasio don't even try is their problem.

Obviously not of all the brain is conscious or partains directly to consciousness.

Of course not.  It is well understood that consciousness is not only restricted to an area, or more likely in my judgment (and that of others), to several areas, but that consciousness can diminish or disappear from conscious areas.  This is why consciousness of certain functions disappears with those functions during dream states, or in other altered states of consciousness.  Again, Damasio's and Dennett's lack of even an attempt at explanation for this is their mistake, not that of neuroscience or my own model of what consciousness is.

Where is the location of this special “unity of experience” and why is IT conscious and not the rest of the brain?

It's not "a location", nor even several fixed locations (of course consciousness has to be somewhere or "somewheres", but it's naive to ask "where it is" like we can point to a town on a map).  The fact is that consciousness almost certainly has to be associated with the processing, the sorting, and the routing that the brain effects upon the information that is both conscious and visibly being processed by the brain.  

That is to say, it would not be unlikely that visual consciousness would be located in the retinotopic map of the (partly) conscious brain, while acoustical consciousness would likely be found in the tonotopic map of the awake (or dreaming) brain.  I'm not saying that those are the only posibilities, but that the consciousness has to be where the information contained in consciousness is to be found, unless, of course, the laws of thermodynamics and rules of information are violated magically by some "soul".

There are no answers from the materialists.

A complete lie.  I have been arguing typical neuroscientific and cognitive science so far, without bringing in my particular ideas on the subject (not that I'm a "materialist", but tards like Mike couldn't recognize this fact so I'll tolerate the term with this caveat).  Now I'll link directly to where in 2005 I discussed reasonable explanations for the unconscious existing side-by-side with the conscious (and did so earlier in a book copyrighted in 2000):

http://students.wwcc.edu/~glendavidson/website/unconsciousness.htm

I don't know if Mike actually came up with these objections on his own, or if he actually did get them straight out of my website (apologies for the problems with the site, btw, I'm always planning to fix it but seem to always find something more interesting, like arguing with Jason Rennie or this especial tard).  I mention the latter because DaveTard did once direct UDiots to the site, along with his usual stupid and pig-ignorant insults, so have reason to believe that some UDiots did take him up on it.

And yes, I'm well aware that my hypothetical solutions remain to be demonstrated to be (at least 'some of') the right explanations, what I'm pointing out is that I have indeed addressed the matter, quite unlike his false witness states, and well before he is on record with his objections.

They only have bald assertions based on their materialist faith. Yawn.

Hm, yeah right.  There are plenty of good reasons quite apart from my model to point to a marked dependency of consciousness upon brain states (anyone who's tripped out, or even dreamed, should know this), while I have directly addressed his "concerns".  Even if he doesn't know that I have (there is a tremendous amount of conservatism in science where cross-disciplinary hypotheses venture into uncharted waters), let's see, don't UDiots claim to be the champions of whatever is not currently establishment science?  One knows better, naturally, and also knows that the "scientific dissent" they tolerate usually involves areas where they don't tolerate any religious dissent, no matter how scientific.

Glen D

[edited for a slight shift in nuance]

--------------
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p....p

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of coincidence---ID philosophy

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,16:04   

Glen, your website is interesting, except that the colours suggest that you might be colour blind or else want to burn out your visitors eyes.  Any chance you can tone them down a bit and make it more readable?

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,16:39   

DaveTard highlights his knowledge gap regarding search & optimization:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1998#comment-87423

DaveScot

01/25/2007

4:40 pm
Many systems like VLSI circuit design are derived in part via evolutionary computing.

Yeah. And before computers we did our VLSI designs by evolutionary mechanical penciling. Trial and error isn’t anything new. It’s so simple…

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SMeeSIPncUQ

--------------

Seizure Salad

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,17:36   

Quote (Altabin @ Jan. 25 2007,05:18)

GilDodgen 01/24/2007 8:57pm: The future of atheism is bleak, because humans are aware of their mortality, and are programmed with an ineluctable sense that their lives must have some ultimate purpose and meaning — otherwise, life is absurd. Despite claims to the contrary, atheism peddles nihilism as its ultimate product, and most people intuitively recognize this.

Hah, go tell it to Camus. I've never understood why the UD denizens parade around pretending that existentialism never happened to philosophy. Turns out the best way to confront an inherently meaningless universe is to imbue your life with your own sense of purpose. For some people this begins with bravely coming to terms with the reality of their existence by committing to atheism. Go and read The Myth of Sisyphus, or some Kierkegaard, you ignorant weirdos.

PS: Where the #### is Church Lady?

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,17:51   

This is an interesting thought:

Just a brief note: When I first started writing By
"Design or by Chance? (Augsburg 2004), an overview of the intelligent design controversy, I came across a young cognitive scientist who told me that he found Darwinism a significant constraint in his work, as follows:

In order to justify an explanation of how a system in the human brain works, he was required to demonstrate how such a mechanism might have evolved. Otherwise, he could not advance it.

Now, an engineer will likely see the obvious problem here: It is much easier to determine how a system works than to determine how it evolved. Perhaps a given system went through 13 iterations before the current model - but perhaps it didn’t.

If any previous iterations ever existed, the evidence for them may be lost.

So one ends, of course, by making up stories - just-so stories about what the dim Pleistocene cave man and his lady of limited patience “would have done” - a strange and clumsy grammatical tense indeed, signifying a strange and clumsy view of our history.

At this point, Darwinism is a net suppressor of creative ideas."

Posted by O'Leary

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1994#comments

I don't get it, Teacher.

My students would really like it if I allowed them to include "creative" explanations other than material ones for their error analyses. You know, "the pink elephants in the room shifted the equilibrium to favor the reactants, reducing my yield" explanation.

In all seriousness, what is she talking about here?

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,18:16   

Over at OE, courtesy HBlavatsky:
http://www.overwhelmingevidence.com/oe....comment

The Tasmanian Wolf looks remarkably like the regular wolf you and I know of. It’s about the same size, has a similar diet and even has the same kind of fur , jaw structure, teeth and behavior. Anybody can see that these two animals are examples of the same kind of creature.

Same animal, same teeth? - same asinine creationist stupidity.  The thylacine and the wolf have got dramatically different reproductive systems and numerous skeletal differences (e.g., epipubic bones and shorter legs not adapted for wolf-like fast running on the thylacine).  The teeth are very different: the wolf has three large upper incisors per maxilla, whereas the thylacine has four tiny ones.  The thylacine has three upper premolars and four upper molars, whereas the wolf has four upper premolars and two molars.  The wolf, like all canids, has an amazing large, bladed, shearing P4, which the thylacine completely lacks.  

In the lower jaw we again see 3 premolars and four molars in the thylacine, while the wolf has four premolars and three lower molars, although in this case it is the M1 that is huge and occludes with the upper P4.  

For details, see
http://www.naturalworlds.org/thylacine/skull/dentition_comparison.htm    

But if you ask an evolutionist where this creature might be placed on the “tree of life”, they would place these two very similar creatures about as far from each other as could be and yet still both be considered mammals. That’s sort of like somebody from Kentucky claiming that their next door neighbour lives in New Jersy!

These taxonomical oddities are not an isolated feature: Darwin's “Tree of Life” abounds with anomalous classifications: Few high-schools mention that evolutionists regard all birds as a sub-class of reptiles. That is to say if one branch of the tree represents every living and extinct reptile, every known species of bird would be represented by a sub-branch of that reptile branch. Next time you hear an iguana say “Polly Want a Cracker”, tell me, but until then I propose that this classification makes no sense at all!

Wouldn’t it make more sense if we devised a more functional taxonomy; one where very similar kinds of animal were grouped together? One based on the sensible principles and proven science of Intelligent Design?  

Exactly my point! Labels like "mamalian" and "avis" imply that there is some common ancestry between these creatures. A more correct taxonomy would look at the kinds of animals; so instead of avis, we might have bird-like which shoud include all the winged creatures that can fly.

So "birds" should now include regular birds, bats, and dragonflies, bees & house flies, but not ostriches?  And would what our taxonomic geniuses like to do about "flying" fish, "flying" lizards, and "flying" snakes, and penguins?

What a bunch of maroons.  Aggressive ignorance reinforced by clueless stupidity is not pretty.

These clowns have available (if they bothered to get off their asses) literature, specimens, equipment, and on-line expertise that Linnaeus could not even have dreamed of, yet he could distinguish between meaningful similarities (based on deep underlying structural similarities) and superficial similarities caused by similar function, whereas they can't.  For them, even though Linneaus did not doubt special creation, his work ends up supporting evolution, so out it must go.

They can see exactly as far as the factoid that both animals get called "wolf", and no farther.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,18:16   

Quote (Glen Davidson @ Jan. 25 2007,15:23)
...It is well understood that consciousness is not only restricted to an area, or more likely in my judgment (and that of others), to several areas, but that consciousness can diminish or disappear from conscious areas.  This is why consciousness of certain functions disappears with those functions during dream states, or in other altered states of consciousness...

Consciousness.  Here's how it works:

See, atop the brainstalk and under the noodlepacks are two rumballs.  Everything harvested by the eyestalks and earwigs and bodybag echoes through the rumballs, which hum and sing and strobe and scan the noodlepacks through massive bundles of sparky angelhair.  Yet ten times more information descends from the noodlepacks into the rumballs than the reverse (hence the phrase “the remembered present”) as the noodlepack-rumball echochamber is gaited by the reticularactionbaiting system, which is stretched over the brainstalk and rumballs like a cheap stocking.

I know, you’re thinking that the frontal noodlepacks and the mesobrainstalk danglingbasil also grow echoing motorplants through more massive bundles of sparky angelhair. And you’d be right.  All goosed and framed and valence-tagged by intrinsic mammaryanimal noodlepaths for SEEKING, RAGE, FEAR, PLAY, ATTACHMENT, PANIC, and so forth.  

That's it in a nutshell.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,18:26   

Quote (Altabin @ Jan. 25 2007,05:18)
Dembski announces the McGrath-Dennett debate on the future of atheism.

But ID ain't about religion.  No siree Bob.  It's just them lying atheist darwinists and them plagiarizing activist judges who say it is.

(snicker)  (giggle)

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,18:30   

Quote (Michael Tuite @ Jan. 25 2007,13:47)

Classic.  I printed it out and hung it on my office wall.

The sad thing is, Salvador will probably like the way he looks in uniform.  He'll crop the jpeg and use it as his new avatar.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,19:47   

I know, you’re thinking that the frontal noodlepacks and the mesobrainstalk danglingbasil also grow echoing motorplants through more massive bundles of sparky angelhair. And you’d be right.

Sorry to nitpick but the noodlepack-mesobrainstalk interface is known to be IC and can never be transversed unless the sparky angelhair is "in knip". Other than that, I think you've nailed it.

Glen Davidson

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,20:00   

Glen, your website is interesting, except that the colours suggest that you might be colour blind or else want to burn out your visitors eyes.  Any chance you can tone them down a bit and make it more readable?

Thanks, and honestly I intend to do that.  But aside from the usual resort to the internet than doing what I'm supposed to, I have to figure a way around some network changes, so no promises of when.

Glen D

--------------

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of coincidence---ID philosophy

Glen Davidson

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,20:04   

See, atop the brainstalk and under the noodlepacks are two rumballs.  Everything harvested by the eyestalks and earwigs and bodybag echoes through the rumballs, which hum and sing and strobe and scan the noodlepacks through massive bundles of sparky angelhair.  Yet ten times more information descends from the noodlepacks into the rumballs than the reverse (hence the phrase “the remembered present”) as the noodlepack-rumball echochamber is gaited by the reticularactionbaiting system, which is stretched over the brainstalk and rumballs like a cheap stocking.

I know, you’re thinking that the frontal noodlepacks and the mesobrainstalk danglingbasil also grow echoing motorplants through more massive bundles of sparky angelhair. And you’d be right.  All goosed and framed and valence-tagged by intrinsic mammaryanimal noodlepaths for SEEKING, RAGE, FEAR, PLAY, ATTACHMENT, PANIC, and so forth.  

I, I hear you man, and it's so beautiful, it's like I'm understanding everything for the first time ever.  Oh, the colors, the colorrrsssssssss..........

Dling B

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,22:10   

The Tasmanian Wolf looks remarkably like the regular wolf you and I know of. It’s about the same size, has a similar diet and even has the same kind of fur , jaw structure, teeth and behavior. Anybody can see that these two animals are examples of the same kind of creature.

Same animal, same teeth? - same asinine creationist stupidity.  The thylacine and the wolf have got dramatically different reproductive systems and numerous skeletal differences (e.g., epipubic bones and shorter legs not adapted for wolf-like fast running on the thylacine).  The teeth are very different: the wolf has three large upper incisors per maxilla, whereas the thylacine has four tiny ones.  The thylacine has three upper premolars and four upper molars, whereas the wolf has four upper premolars and two molars.  The wolf, like all canids, has an amazing large, bladed, shearing P4, which the thylacine completely lacks.  

They can see exactly as far as the factoid that both animals get called "wolf", and no farther.

Ah, but you're missing the significance of that magic word: KIND:

Anybody can see that these two animals are examples of the same kind of creature.

That's a Creationist jargon term. If she can lump wolves and thylacines together, then that's one less pair of animals on the 'ark' -- thus making the Flood story much more plausible, don't you see?

BUT: wasn't there a theory that HBlavatsky was just trolling at OE?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,22:11   

Re "They can see exactly as far as the factoid that both animals get called "wolf", and no farther."

And sometimes some humans get called "wolf", too - where do they put those? ;)

------------

Re "I know, you’re thinking that the frontal noodlepacks and the mesobrainstalk danglingbasil also grow echoing motorplants through more massive bundles of sparky angelhair."

The who whatting how with huh? :)

------------

Re "Sorry to nitpick but the noodlepack-mesobrainstalk interface is known to be IC and can never be transversed unless the sparky angelhair is "in knip". Other than that, I think you've nailed it."

I'm not so sure about that there...

Henry

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,22:19   

Then there was the ID conference in San Francisco where Dr. Cornelius G. Hunter, the "expert" involved in the antievolution shenanigans in Roseville, CA, presented the wolf and thylacine as identical twins separated at birth argument. His visual aid, handily printed in the proceedings, consisted of two images side-by-side. On one side, you had the usual painting of two thylacines in color. On the other, you had the same painting, mirrored horizontally, and desaturated. Yep, you just could not tell the difference between the wolves on one side and the thylacines on the other. Uncanny, even.

At least, none of the ID attendees cottoned on. It wasn't until I pointed out the problem to Paul Nelson that the ID community had notice of it.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,23:00   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/2000

25 January 2007
When Arrogance and Stupidity Collide
William Dembski
Rubbish like this should steel us to work doubly hard to put these people out of business.

Is he walking a mile in our shoes?

:p

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,23:24   

Damm you, Richardhughes, Damm you to H' ell!! I was gonna post about how the flock of dodos are all a-twitter over "Flock of Dodos" and the head DembskiDodo has his feathers in a ruffle.

I bow to your superior skills -- like a magnificent porcine detective, you invariably turn up the tastiest truffles of tard first.  :p

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,23:26   

Um... Okay, first off: what are the two fuzzy, breast-like things on the front of ID Minister Sal-vation? A really bad plastic surgery job, or a reach-up chest grab from the Cookie Monster? I think I'm going to wig. :p

Now, 'bout the new book Richard mentions:    
In Flock of Dodos, the reader will discover ominous parallels between Billy Joel's greaser anthem Uptown Girl and chief intelligent design proponent William Dembski, the wholly non-Christian origins of the United States, the goofy history of the creation science movement, secrets of a happy marriage to anti-feminist icon Phylis Schafly,

Okay, yeah, that is nasty. Oooh. Ow. I'm going to have nightmares now.  
stunning evidence that William Jennings Bryan might not have been all that bright, the the three interesting things that occurred in 2004, and the true nature of the millennia-old Conspiracy of Nonsense that threatens the very fiber of Western Civilization.

:D So what were the "three interesting things that happened in 2004"? Anyone?

Bill, man, now you're going to take on National Lampoon and a sociologist and put them out of business as well? Don't you pay those people no never-mind. I think you got your hands full already. When is this ID-friendly center at a major university going to be announced? Did I miss that?  ;)

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,23:36   

Quote (deadman_932 @ Jan. 25 2007,23:24)
like a magnificent porcine detective, you invariably turn up the tastiest truffles of tard first.  :p

They live on the surface, and you can spot the tell-tale cloud of flies a mile away.

--------------

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,23:44   

Wesley, that's astounding, but somehow not surprising.  Thanks for sharing the story.

Arden,

Ah, but you're missing the significance of that magic word: KIND:

That's a Creationist jargon term. If she can lump wolves and thylacines together, then that's one less pair of animals on the 'ark' -- thus making the Flood story much more plausible, don't you see?

They'll swallow Noah, his ark, and the flood, and some of them will accept marsupials 'micro-evolving' to or from placentals in less than 4000 years (which is more rapid evolution than any biologist has ever considered possible), on the basis of no evidence whatsoever, as long as they can deny 'macro-evolution' and justify rejecting the idea of humans evolve from another ape.   The farther the taxonomic group is from humans, the less they object to insanely fast evolution (I've encountered suggestions of as few as seven basic kinds of dinosaurs and even fewer 'kinds' for fish and for 'bugs', encompassing orders, classes, and even phyla evolving in 4000 years), yet a 5-15 m.y. Cambrian explosion 'cannot be explained by scientists'.  

BUT: wasn't there a theory that HBlavatsky was just trolling at OE?

If so, HaEris and TroutMac swallowed the bait whole, because they seconded the idea with approving posts.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,23:44   

Gil " High Dudgeon Dodo"  Dodgen squawks:
This is an example of profound desperation and politically correct religious bigotry that is perpetrated with impunity in our modern culture. If such vitriol were directed at religious Jews, advocates would immediately be branded as antisemitic and ostracized, with good reason.

Uh...Gil? Matt Taibbi from  Rolling Stone, in reviewing the book...is referring to "born-again" wackos...does the shoe fit? And if the reviewer mentioned "fundamentalist Jewish wackos" you think he should be ostracized?

Wow...you and the er...Muslim fundamentalists seem to think alike in regard to freedom of speech, Gil.

Now flutter back up on your high horse and shoo.

--------------

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,23:49   

Juuuussst testing...
:D
:p
:)
Okay doke, I see it now. Enable emoticonner keeps defaulting to "off." Poopy emoticons.
:angry: Set phasers to huffy for A Flock of Dodos:
Douglas 9:54 pm

Sometimes, the other side simply leaves me speechless. I’m not sure if this is one of those times.

Courageously said, Douglas! I have to admit I admire your conviction. :D

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2007,23:56   

I really liked DembskiDodo's prescription to deal with the insult dealt to him and his flock in "Flock of Dodos" :
Rubbish like this should steel us to work doubly hard to put these people out of business.

Let's see...2.0 x 0.0  actual research and peer-reviewed publications = WATERLOO!!!!!

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,00:05   

So what were the "three interesting things that happened in 2004"?

I can think of two things, Kristine: the election and the tidal wave in the Indian Ocean.... Very similar in effect

--------------

bfish

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2007,00:08   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 25 2007,13:24)
In 1972, a crack design detection unit was sent to prison by a liberal homo court for a crime they didn't commit.

OK, there are a lot of pretty durned funny posts on this thread, but this one grabbed my funny bone. What a great TV show that would make.

Somehow reminds me of an old Billy Crystal bit on SNL, wherein he describes the new (fake) TV shows coming out, including:
"Pope and Chimp." One's the Pope. The other's a chimp.
They're detectives.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 367 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 377 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]