RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,01:22   

Ha!  
tribune7 sees the light

tribune7

08/02/2008

4:58 pm

Tard Alert!

X has certain characteristics a, b, c
Y has the characteristics a, b, c
But Y also has other characteristics x, y, z.
Therefore: X has the characteristics x, y, z.

Daniel King, how is this bit of reasoning useful in the search for design?
Because Hamlet does not have characteristic X while War and Peace does, are you saying that is an indication that one may not have been designed?
Not all variables count, only the relevant ones.

If only he could explain how we decide what the relevant variables are.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,04:27   

His only response was to smugly point out that I couldn't find any errors in his math, therefore he was correct...

Edited to add: Actually, this mode of thinking (whilst antithetical to most sciency types) is probably very easy to maintain for many people.

Well, while IANAS i still lay claim to being a rational person, and my take on this simply is math like

A+B=C

Since this means that C depends on whatever values I assign to A or B, I can get any value of C that I desire. The result will be just another example of GIGO.

How can "we" teach "many people" this simple fact? I believe schools may have something left to teach.

As a parallel to this, I just heard a news report about increasing reluctance to agreeing to organ donation from younger people in Sweden; they think they need their organs in the hereafter.

Edit: removed superfluous and erroneous word.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,05:06   

kairosfocus referring to PaV's post   as    
PaVian calculation
is really funny for German readers

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,05:13   

Bob O'H    
It's good to see you taking up the mantle of rationality over there again.  Enjoy the fun, and keep away from wMad.
Seems that after a few days of free access my comments are moderated again. Maybe it was not a good idea to add 16 links to every UD comment on kairosfoucs's FSCI at once.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,08:32   

Quote (sparc @ Aug. 03 2008,05:13)
Bob O'H            
It's good to see you taking up the mantle of rationality over there again.  Enjoy the fun, and keep away from wMad.
Seems that after a few days of free access my comments are moderated again. Maybe it was not a good idea to add 16 links to every UD comment on kairosfoucs's FSCI at once.

A Google of "Functionally Specified Complex Information".

1. Kairosfocus's own website.
2. A humor thread at Uncommon Descent. *

* The second listing is just a quicklink to sparc's comment, but still... Hmm... We could say that sparc is a leading critic of the Theory of Functionally Specified Complex Information.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,08:57   

Yesterday we discussed the creationists tendency to be over-enamoured of math without regard to its relationship to reality.  Another thing they are over-enamoured of is analogies, and Daniel King's post at UD, with accompanying quote, is excellent.  Therefore, the IDists don't get it.

Here's the post, for posterity.

Daniel King  08/02/2008   4:46 pm

Paul Giem and kairosfocus,

I trust that you will take the following in the helpful way that I intend it: Your arguments by means of analogy suffer from a logical problem that I learned about as a stripling. Neither of you would have passed my first year college course in logic if you had tried to defend such arguments.

Here is a verbatim quote from my textbook, Monroe C Beardsley, Practical Logic, 1950, Prentice Hall, Inc., New York.

An analogy doesn’t prove anything; it merely calls to mind a possibility that might not have been thought of without the analogy. It’s the experiment that counts in the end. Bohr’s classic model of the atom is only a picture. It has clarified some points about the atom, it has hinted at some good hypotheses; but if you take it as proving anything about the atom, you are misusing the analogy. You can be fooled just as much by it as were those early inventors who tried to construct airplanes that flapped their wings, on the analogy with birds. Analogies illustrate, and they lead to hypotheses, but thinking in terms of analogy becomes fallacious when the analogy is used as a reason for a principle. This fallacy is called the argument from analogy.

The form of the argument from analogy is pretty clear from this simple example:

X has certain characteristics a, b, c
   Y has the characteristics a, b, c
   But Y also has other characteristics x, y, z.
   Therefore: X has the characteristics x, y, z.

This from a professional logician, not a scientist.

You are both entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own logic.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,10:53   

I've forgotten.  Who around here is the Corrie fan?

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

mitschlag

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,16:27   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Aug. 03 2008,08:57)
Yesterday we discussed the creationists tendency to be over-enamoured of math without regard to its relationship to reality.  Another thing they are over-enamoured of is analogies, and Daniel King's post at UD, with accompanying quote, is excellent.  Therefore, the IDists don't get it.
<snip>
You are both entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own logic.

DaveScot is immune to logic:

DK

It’s actually an argument by analogy. Bfast accurately described the characteristics of several artificial languages then showed that the language of DNA conforms to those same characteristics. Unless you adhere to some unsupportable dogma that nothing in the universe predating humanity is artificial in nature then the best explanation for a language of unknown origin is that it is, like every other known language, artficial in origin.

The burden of proof then obviously falls on the person who claims that languages can arise by means devoid of intelligence. Good luck with that.

"It's an argument from analogy and I'm proud of it!"

--------------
"You can establish any “rule” you like if you start with the rule and then interpret the evidence accordingly." - George Gaylord Simpson (1902-1984)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,16:43   

"This natural thing is like this artifical thing. Therefore the natural thing must be artificial."

Man that is dumb.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,16:46   

Reasoning skills like that, it's kind of easy to see why their 'research journal' is in the dumpster.

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,18:23   

Bfast accurately described the characteristics of several artificial languages then showed that the language of DNA conforms to those same characteristics.

bfast
One can therefore deduce that a reaonable definition of language is a syntax that communicates complex details between a sender and a recipient(s). By this definition English is a language. “C” is a language. and DNA is a language because it communicates complex details to the systems that assemble protein, to systems that replicate DNA, and to other systems not yet specified (control systems, etc.) It is a language, calling it a language is not “an analogy.”

Using this definition, is light a language?, is sound a language?, is touch a language?, is smell a language?, is taste a language?  And if so, do light and sound require a designer?

Also can bfast present some examples of invalid DNA? i.e. examples not conforming to the rules of the language (but still conforming to the the ATGC aphabet )
Eg invalid English: "ATGGCCGGC GTCTGCT"; invalid French "ATGGCCGGC GTCTGCTA" invalid DNA, ATGGCCGGC GTCTGCTA?

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,23:34   

Zachriel:  
We could say that sparc is a leading critic of the Theory of Functionally Specified Complex Information.
I wouldn't claim that I understand Kairosfocus but I have the feeling he is saying that after all there indeed is something like a free lunch  
beyond the Dembski bound
unfortunately made up of crackers and wine only.

--------------

- William Dembski -

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,04:55   

Gordon seems to think spammers can get his email from his name...

Moderators:

I have to first bring to your attention Sparc at 116.

For, for a SECOND time in this thread, my personal name has been used without permission.

This, in a context where it is notorious that ID thinkers are subject to “expelling” and where on my part there is a definite spamming problem. [I have kept up a link to contact information in my personal site for responsible use.]

GEM of TKI

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-293468

DOH! Since when do you require "permission" to use peoples names? Don't put it out there if you don't want it to be used!

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,06:05   

That whole A Simple Gene Origination Calculation thread is an extremely rich vien of tard.

Forget the OP in which the ever reliable PaV expounds tardily, armed only with the abstract of an article.  Look instead at the comments:

2) F2XL is sharp enough to wish he/she could read the whole article, but then says, "...the conclusion they came to is a little disturbing… though it depends on what your prior philosophical commitments are on the origin of life as we know it today."  Origin of life?  WTF?

4) CEC09 pens this classic tardline: "But if 44% percent of the new genes shared by Drosophila species arose by duplication, wouldn’t the percentage for a single species be higher?"  Then he follows up with, "After all, turning a functional non-gene region into a gene would stop that region from serving its prior function. Are you concerned that this does not jibe with genetic entropy?"

6) PaV returns with "However, this mechanism presupposes that duplicated genes have no function, and are therefore free to neutrally evolve–something which is now being questioned since psuedogenes have been found to be involved in gene regulation."  Actually, PaV, duplicated genes have exactly the same function as the gene they were copied from.  But if they get zapped by a mutation, the organism doesn't miss them because the original gene is still there, doing it's thing.

7) The ever reliable bFast chimes in with, "The question is not ID vs. Darwin, the question is to what extent did the designer use the darwinian model — or as Behe so aptly put it, where is the edge of evolution?"  Actually, bF, God seems to have exactly duplicated the Darwinian model.  It's positively uncanny how close He came.

8) matthew_ackerman shows that he is not long for UD by posting an explanation of PaV's error AND mentioning the Panda's Thumb.  I doubt if he'll survive to the end of the thread.

9) zephyr then chimes in with a prediction that this paper, which is published in a scientific journal and which has already been commented on at PT "will be entirely and predictably ignored by the Darwinian priesthood."  Then he brings up Walter Remine and Haldane's Dilemma and things got all red and noisy and I went and laid down in a dark room till the ringing in my ears faded.  And still over a hundred comments to go.

Advocatus Diaboli

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,06:32   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Aug. 04 2008,06:05)

6) PaV returns with "However, this mechanism presupposes that duplicated genes have no function, and are therefore free to neutrally evolve–something which is now being questioned since psuedogenes have been found to be involved in gene regulation."  Actually, PaV, duplicated genes have exactly the same function as the gene they were copied from.  But if they get zapped by a mutation, the organism doesn't miss them because the original gene is still there, doing it's thing.

That was the point where I had to stop reading go play WoW. If one cannot understand the basics of gene duplication, one sure as hell shouldn't be commenting on anything gene-related.

--------------
I once thought that I made a mistake, but I was wrong.

"I freely admit I’m a sociopath" - DaveScot

"Most importanly, the facts are on the side of ID." - scordova

"UD is the greatest website of all time." stevestory

Advocatus Diaboli

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,06:32   

Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ Aug. 04 2008,06:32)

That was the point where I had to stop reading go play WoW. If one cannot understand the basics of gene duplication, one sure as hell shouldn't be commenting on anything gene-related.

"and go play Wow."

--------------
I once thought that I made a mistake, but I was wrong.

"I freely admit I’m a sociopath" - DaveScot

"Most importanly, the facts are on the side of ID." - scordova

"UD is the greatest website of all time." stevestory

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,06:36   

2) F2XL is sharp enough to wish he/she could read the whole article, but then says, "...the conclusion they came to is a little disturbing… though it depends on what your prior philosophical commitments are on the origin of life as we know it today."  Origin of life?  WTF?

I see something similair every day, but it's rather the other way around. I'm discussing with a bloke about evolution and ID, and to support his arguments against evolution he keeps quoting articles who are about the origin of life and not evolution. Although according to him, the arguments can also be applied on evolution because they apply on the origin of every "new organisation". That argument made me go "Huh?" because he didn't define new.
Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ Aug. 04 2008,06:32)

[offtopic] :O Another WoW player! US or EU and the name of your main, I just nééd to check the Armory now.[/offtopic]
But that isn't just about knowing how genes work, that's just common sense.

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,06:38   

Sorry, delete this.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,07:26   

Quote (sparc @ Aug. 03 2008,23:34)
Zachriel:
We could say that sparc is a leading critic of the Theory of Functionally Specified Complex Information.

I wouldn't claim that I understand Kairosfocus but I have the feeling he is saying that after all there indeed is something like a free lunch

beyond the Dembski bound

unfortunately made up of crackers and wine only.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

RitaFairclough: From what little research I’ve had time to do so far on this it seems that most of the web pages talking about FCSI are either this website or Kariosfocus’ website.

sparc: Maybe you didn’t look hard enough: In addition to FSCI you will find Functionally Specified, Irreducible Complexity (FSIC)developed by Gordon Mullings here in comment 161 which seemingly is similar to FSCI but not identical. It would be interesting if Gordon Mullings shows up here to discuss the differences between FSCI and FSIC with Kairosfocus.

That's amazing. I would enjoy such an interaction. Two great disputationists, arguing whether the C should come before the I—or the other way around.

sparc: In the meantime you may permutate FSCI and google the results.

FSIC: The Food Safety Information Center (FSIC) specializes in providing food safety information to educators, industry, researchers and the general public.

FSCI: Fire Safety Consultants, Inc. specializes in fire protection consulting for municipal building departments, fire departments, building owners, architects, ...

FCSI: Foodservice Consultants Society International, Membership organization for foodservice design professionals.

The last one does seem to include something about design.

DaveScot: If you understand what ID is then you can answer these questions easily enough for yourself. I’m placing you in moderation for a while due to the rapidity of your comments. All your comments will require the approval of an admin before being posted. As long as they’re thoughtful and civil there won’t be any that aren’t posted. If they remain thoughtful and civil for a period of time I’ll lift the requirement for moderation.

Rita is too rapid.

bFast: Rita (sorry to hear you hit moderation, though I’m not surprised.)

I'm not surprised either. Look!

RitaFairclough: From what little research I’ve had time to do so far on this it seems that most of the web pages talking about FCSI are either this website or Kariosfocus’ website. As such, is it really a worthwhile strategy, a worthwhile way to spend time inventing a concept and then challenging people to knock it over and then claiming victory when it does not happen?

Clearly advocating violence.

kairosfocus: Moderators:

I have to first bring to your attention Sparc at 116.

For, for a SECOND time in this thread, my personal name has been used without permission.

Heavens to Murgatroyd! Does that mean that kairosfocus is Gordon Mullings?

tribune7: Rita,

I am probably wasting my time ...

That goes without saying.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,08:03   

O'Leary says

So an ID theorist would probably expect to see that life on other planets shares many characteristics with life on Earth - that is, there will be a similarity of themes and styles

Rita asks

what would be the characteristics you would expect to see common to all life in the universe?

O'Leary responds:

Rita, as for common characteristics, I turn that one over to molecular biologists, because it is apt to be a highly technical affair, and my training is in a different area altogether.

Link
DaveScot also joins in

There are themes at the molecular level. For instance every living organism examined to date uses essentially the same genetic code. This implies a fundamental connection of some sort between them all. Perhaps the largest question that discovery of life on another planet entails is whether or not it uses the same genetic code.

Rita then asks the obvious question

If it does not, does that provide evidence for or against ID?

DaveScot responds:

Rita, please read this ID Defined

If you understand what ID is then you can answer these questions easily enough for yourself. I’m placing you in moderation for a while due to the rapidity of your comments. All your comments will require the approval of an admin before being posted. As long as they’re thoughtful and civil there won’t be any that aren’t posted. If they remain thoughtful and civil for a period of time I’ll lift the requirement for moderation.

and utterly fails to commit to a position or answer Rita's question in any way.

The rest of O'Leary's comment is funny too:

One thing I would suggest looking for is patterns that suggest a sense of future use. One possible example was raised by biochemist Michael Denton: the backwards eye wiring of the vertebrate serves no apparent purpose until you get to mammals and birds, at which point it is critical - it steers blood away from the visual cells.

I would look for more of those, for example, and perhaps attempt to make predictions.

Pathetic. I look forward to more of these "predictions" that are not really predictions at all.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,08:56   

I'm hoping for Vera Duckworth, or possibly even Nell Mangle.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,09:08   

<snip>

Paul Giem: RNA has been “spontaneously” polymerized in two ways. First, nucleotides have been allowed to join without any guidance whatsoever. WHen they do, they preferentially join in 2?-5? linkages rather than 3?-5? linkages. That is, they do not even form RNA. Secondly, they can be joined by RNA polymerase. It is debatable whether this can be considered intelligent guidance, as whether such a complex molecule as RNA polymerase can spontaneously form from amino acids is itself doubtful, and has not been observed in nature.

Are you arguing that human ignorance implies design?

Ekland and Bartel, RNA-catalysed RNA polymerization using nucleoside triphosphates, Nature: THE hypothesis that certain RNA molecules may be able to catalyse RNA replication is central to current theories of the early evolution of life1–6. In support of this idea, we describe here an RNA that synthesizes RNA using the same reaction as that employed by protein enzymes that catalyse RNA polymerization. In the presence of the appropriate template RNA and nucleoside triphosphates, the ribozyme extends an RNA primer by successive addition of up to six mononucleotides. The added nucleotides are joined to the growing RNA chain by 3',5'-phosphodiester linkages. The ribozyme shows marked template fidelity: extension by nucleotides complementary to the template is up to 1,000 times more efficient than is extension by mismatched nucleotides.

Or, are you arguing that your personal ignorance implies design?

--------------

Venus Mousetrap

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,09:16   

Don't be hard on DaveScot. He's putting people in moderation to reduce the tardflow to more manageable levels for us.

Tardflow of course has units of tard per unit time. By analogy we can see that the momentum impulse of tard is equal to the force of people slapping their foreheads x length of comment thread. It's believed that this undergoes quasi-random fluctuation as a thread approaches the critical 404 boundary and becomes vacuum tardity.

Of course, this relies on you being able to measure tard. unless you have some kind of magic filter which eliminates mathematics.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,11:02   

In GilDigan's recent OP, the quotes DDrr.. Dembski quoting Paul Davies using the term specified complexity.

Is anyone up for reviewing the upcoming Quantum Aspects of Life? Davies has a lead chapter. Dembski's chapter on Quantum Design Inference seems to have been left out.

Why was Suzan Mazur stalking the Altenberg 16 when she could have been following this group?

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,11:23   

Quote (Zachriel @ Aug. 04 2008,06:26)
FCSI: Foodservice Consultants Society International, Membership organization for foodservice design professionals.[/color]

The last one does seem to include something about design.

But would they design a free lunch?

:p

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,11:41   

Venus Mousetrap
Don't be hard on DaveScot. He's putting people in moderation to reduce the tardflow to more manageable levels for us.
Not quite an effective method if you are working in a self-spamming entity.

--------------

- William Dembski -

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,12:15   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Aug. 04 2008,08:03)
DaveScot responds:

Rita, please read this ID Defined

If you understand what ID is then you can answer these questions easily enough for yourself. I’m placing you in moderation for a while due to the rapidity of your comments. All your comments will require the approval of an admin before being posted. As long as they’re thoughtful and civil there won’t be any that aren’t posted. If they remain thoughtful and civil for a period of time I’ll lift the requirement for moderation.

and utterly fails to commit to a position or answer Rita's question in any way.

That's probably because he's a gutless insult to the Marine Corps he claims to have served.

I'm still waiting for him to respond to my challenge on talk.origins.  Too bad he's afraid of girls.  Maybe it would help if I dressed up like Blipey.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,13:30   

Maya wrote:
"I'm still waiting for him to respond to my challenge on talk.origins.  Too bad he's afraid of girls.  Maybe it would help if I dressed up like Blipey."

That would just excite him. He'd be bouncing up and down at UD like a hyperthyroid chihuahua.

Under his user name at UD, Cheesy Poof Boy hasn't ventured out of his yard for quite a while. He does seem to have a sadistic streak towards females and tried threatening Kristine not all that long ago. I suppose it's all part of this compensation thing he's got going, as he croons to his latest crop of phallic mushrooms.

Anyway, the last few times he's tried sticking his beady-eyed snout outside of his safety zone, he got picked on & laughed at until he tucked tail and ran home to Daddy Dembski. He won't be out again soon, I suspect -- not without moderation priviliges. Reminds me of why Rush Limbaugh doesn't debate/interview outside of his confines, where he can screen and mute any dissenting voices.

Zachriel wrote:
"Heavens to Murgatroyd! Does that mean that kairosfocus is Gordon Mullings? "

I was wondering about Gordon E. Mullings ( Jamaican/Montserrat ,  MSc. physics, University of West Indies, probably at Mona, Jamaica), and his insistence on anonymity at UD...when he's left a trail like a club-footed cow all across teh interwebz. Ah, well -- that's UD material for ya.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,13:42   

well, there was some discussion here that he is mentally ill.

all jokes aside, that seems to be a prerequisite for UD.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2008,13:48   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Aug. 04 2008,11:42)
well, there was some discussion here that he is mentally ill.

Who, Mullings or Springer?

He does seem to have a sadistic streak towards females and tried threatening Kristine not all that long ago.

Hard not to think of Ted Beale and his, uh, problems with women. Some kind of ID/C pattern, big surprise.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]