RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (32) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   
  Topic: Young Cosmos, A Salvador Cordova project< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:48   

Quote (JohnW @ Jan. 03 2008,13:39)
If anyone has unused irony-meter jokes in their desk drawers, Pirahna Lady lecturing us on linguistic precision is the best opportunity you'll have in weeks.

In Soviet Russia, Irony Meter breaks you!

Hey, you asked for unused irony meter jokes, not good ones.

--------------
CBEB's: The Church Burnin' Ebola Blog
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:57   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,13:20)
Oh, my loving God!  Lazy?  You simply cannot be serious.  I have spent *two days* explaining *in agonizing detail* exactly what I meant by the word "condone".  My definition of condone was right on target.  Skatje didn't "refuse to condemn zoophilia as intrinsically immoral".  That is not at all what she said.  She said it was not for her, but that it can be a "meaningful" relationship for others.  There was no "refuses to condemn" about it.

Skatje NEVER advocated bestiality. She explicitly offers this as a disclaimer, and points out that the entire post is in response to you, FtK, evidently "freaking out" after she asked why YOU were so quick to CONDEMN IT. (I can't verify her description, but at least I can accurately relay the context for her post as she gives it.) She NEVER said that sexual relationships with animals could be "meaningful for others" (that is flat-out quote-mining right there, cut-and-dry); rather, she said that SINCE human relationships with animals are often deep and meaningful, zoophilia is UNSURPRISING. She addressed two common arguments against zoophilia (animal abuse and lack of consent) and showed that they are not valid in certain circumstances. She then concluded:

That said, I remind you that my position isn’t based on my own personal wants. I just don’t see any reason to ban it other than the same reason things like homosexuality and sodomy were banned: it’s icky. I think it’s bad practice to put social taboos into legislature when no actual logical argument can be made against it.

I initially defended you against charges of quote-mining based on the proper definition of 'condone' -- as others have pointed out (here and on Pharyngula), 'tolerance' is a pretty good synonym. But you have, indeed, spent *two days* explaining *in agonizing detail* exactly what you meant by the word 'condone': you meant support and advocacy. Not tolerance, not reluctant acceptance. Flat out approval, with the only caveat being not for Skatje herself. You think Skatje approves of bestiality for anyone aside from herself, without reservation. In other words, you meant 'condone' in the vernacular sense, as it was received, and not in the proper sense for which I defended you. Quite clearly, given the content of Skatje's post and your paraphrase here ("She said [zoophilia] was not for her, but that it can be a "meaningful" relationship for others"), you quote-mined, as charged. I withdraw my defense of your use of the word 'condone' -- you meant it exactly as it was received, and the charges against you are completely valid. (Somebody call off the Darwinian police -- I've recanted on my own!)

Now, you tell me.....If Sal had written that zoophilia post, how would you have taken it?

As written: a rational discussion of why zoophilia is unsurprising, why two of the primary arguments for its prohibition fail in some circumstances, and why -- in those circumstances -- its legal prohibition would appear to have no logical basis. How would you have taken it?

Do you truly believe that the Sal haters here would not have taken that post and gone absolutely hog wild with it?
Please tell me this pun is unintentional. Please? In any case, get Sal to offer something a little braver and more compelling than pig-on-teen fantasies and playground humour, then maybe we'll find out?
I believe I was *very* tame and relayed everything exactly as she said it.  No cracking jokes, no name calling, no ridicule.  I provided the facts and that is all.
Nope. See above. You quote-mined, and have been even more dishonest in your defense thereof. That is all.

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:12   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Jan. 03 2008,13:40)
Geez, I spend all morning at the dentists office and come back to find that this merry-go-round has cycled through two more pages and gotten, predictably, nowhere.

Dental work is at least productive!

But I see that no one has tackled this one, so I'll jump back on.    
Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,13:20)
Now, you tell me.....If Sal had written that zoophilia post, how would you have taken it?  Do you truly believe that the Sal haters here would not have taken that post and gone absolutely hog wild with it?

If I saw that zoophilia post with Sal's name attached, i would have wondered how he can afford a ghost writer on a grad student stipend. It did not contain any pejoratives like darwinism, materialist, or other hallmarks of his chronic drooling wit. It was reasonably well-written, and precise. Clearly all of us would have immediately accused Sal of plagiarizing it, and gone off on a vast googling to find the source.

Does that help?

And now, how about those "facts" re Walt Brown's peer reviewers, while we're into answering each other's questions?

Does that help?  Not at all as it doesn't answer the question.

Do you believe, if he had written that post, it would not have been linked to by Darwin advocates?  Do you believe that the comments that ensued would have been without ridicule, jokes, and condemnation?

Answer the question, and you had better be truthful.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:17   

Do you know why constant jokes are made? Do you know why people like Sal are ridiculed?

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:18   

I think that if we poll the people available via this link, we will be able to get a whole, new, fresh perspective on what Sal condones.  

Maybe we could send them a link to Sal and FTK's blogs?  Maybe a link to the interesting discussion here? On Pharyngula?

What do you think Sal?  

http://physics-astronomy.jhu.edu/

edited:  Nah.  Nobody here would sink that low.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:19   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,14:12)

Do you believe, if he had written that post, it would not have been linked to by Darwin advocates?  Do you believe that the comments that ensued would have been without ridicule, jokes, and condemnation?

Thanks for the insult. How would you know what "truthful" is for another person?

I was truthful. It didn't read like Sal had written it. It made sense. It didn't use the pejoratives darwinist or materialist. Contrary to your reading of it, it did not advocate bestiality. Contrary to your reading of it, it did not talk about the moral aspects of bestiality.

So I would have ignored it, or assumed that Sal didn't really write it, as I previously said.

And that's the truth. Sworn on a virtual stack of the Journal of Biological Chemistry.

So now how about the truth re Walt Brown's peer reviewers?

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:22   

She NEVER said that sexual relationships with animals could be "meaningful for others" (that is flat-out quote-mining right there, cut-and-dry); rather, she said that SINCE human relationships with animals are often deep and meaningful, zoophilia is UNSURPRISING. She addressed two common arguments against zoophilia (animal abuse and lack of consent) and showed that they are not valid in certain circumstances.

I'm sorry, but that is NOT how I read this paragraph:

Sexual relationships between humans and animals come as such a shock to people, but it doesn’t to me. There can be very deep, meaningful relationships between humans and their pets. Obviously they can’t obtain the same level a deep human-to-human relationship, but loving your pets isn’t anything unusual. People care for their pets, talk to them, spoil them, feel relaxed in their company, and mourn them when they die. This relationship is so underestimated. Why does it come as a surprise that when someone feels a deep connection to their pet, they might be interesting[sic] in doing something more expressive and intimate like we do in human-to-human relationships?

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:25   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,12:22)
She NEVER said that sexual relationships with animals could be "meaningful for others" (that is flat-out quote-mining right there, cut-and-dry); rather, she said that SINCE human relationships with animals are often deep and meaningful, zoophilia is UNSURPRISING. She addressed two common arguments against zoophilia (animal abuse and lack of consent) and showed that they are not valid in certain circumstances.

Sexual relationships between humans and animals come as such a shock to people, but it doesn’t to me. There can be very deep, meaningful relationships between humans and their pets. Obviously they can’t obtain the same level a deep human-to-human relationship, but loving your pets isn’t anything unusual. People care for their pets, talk to them, spoil them, feel relaxed in their company, and mourn them when they die. This relationship is so underestimated. Why does it come as a surprise that when someone feels a deep connection to their pet, they might be interesting[sic] in doing something more expressive and intimate like we do in human-to-human relationships?

Then you should read it again. Or parse it very carefully to show us how we are all mistaken, because everybody but you reads it the same way as Cory has described.

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

Assassinator

You know what she says with that? She says that she understands why people do it. She can understand there feelings, have emphasis for them. She can place herself, at least for a bit, in those people's shoes.

Ftk

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Jan. 03 2008,14:19)

Thanks for the insult. How would you know what "truthful" is for another person?

I was truthful. It didn't read like Sal had written it. It made sense. It didn't use the pejoratives darwinist or materialist. Contrary to your reading of it, it did not advocate bestiality. Contrary to your reading of it, it did not talk about the moral aspects of bestiality.

So I would have ignored it, or assumed that Sal didn't really write it, as I previously said.

And that's the truth. Sworn on a virtual stack of the Journal of Biological Chemistry.

Unbelieveable.  

Is there anyone here who will admit that they would have used that post as a running board for ridicule if Sal had written it.

I've seen how you guys lay on the ridicule, disgust, name calling....there is no way that you can honestly say that you would not have gone off the deep end with that post had Sal written it.

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:31   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,15:12)

Actually, had Skatje's post appeared on Sal's blog verbatim under his name, it would have been an utter non-sequitur and completely inconsistent with his other views, and therefore very puzzling. After all, her essay does not in any way connect her tolerance of sexual acts with animals to Darwinism, nor is it pejorative in any other way. So it would have been very difficult to evaluate, and probably would have triggered a Gricean search for implicate meanings (e.g., Is this satire? A mistake? Maybe a passage was left out?)

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:32   

Have you got ANY IDEA why Sal is getting ridiculed?? We've explained dozens of time's to you WHY he's talking complete bullcrap. And apperantly it won't come through to you, or you're simply ignoring it for some reason. We don't care about Sal himself, we don't care about his choice of words, we don't care about his humor, just about his point.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:32   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,14:25)
Unbelieveable.  

Is there anyone here who will admit that they would have used that post as a running board for ridicule if Sal had written it.

I've seen how you guys lay on the ridicule, disgust, name calling....there is no way that you can honestly say that you would not have gone off the deep end with that post had Sal written it.

That was an HONEST answer. Sorry if I can't jump through the hoop that you have set up for me.

Now, can you tell us about Walt's peer reviewers this time?

--------------
                        - Pattiann Rogers

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:33   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,12:25)
Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Jan. 03 2008,14:19)

Unbelieveable.  

I agree with Skatje, and I would agree with Sal if he wrote it.

EDIT: Though, like Bill, I would suspect satire, since it would not be consilient with Sal's other opinions.

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:35   

Quote (Assassinator @ Jan. 03 2008,14:25)
You know what she says with that? She says that she understands why people do it. She can understand there feelings, have emphasis for them. She can place herself, at least for a bit, in those people's shoes.

She understands it, she condones it, she believes that it should not "come as a surprise that when someone feels a deep connection to their pet, they might be interesting[sic] in doing something more expressive and intimate like we do in human-to-human relationships."

If Sal or I had said that, you people who have gone stark raving mad.  The blogophere would have lit up like the 4th of July.

And, you talk about me supporting anything that anyone from my side of the debate has to say....

I will now provide you with a mirror...

Spend some time peering into it.  Thanks.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:36   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Jan. 03 2008,14:31)

Actually, had Skatje's post appeared on Sal's blog verbatim under his name, it would have been an utter non-sequitur and completely inconsistent with his other views, and therefore very puzzling. After all, her essay does not in any way connect her tolerance of sexual acts with animals to Darwinism, nor is it pejorative in any other way. So it would have been very difficult to evaluate, and probably would have triggered a Gricean search for implicate meanings (e.g., Is this satire? A mistake? Maybe a passage was left out?)

Great job of skirting the question.  BS, but the easy way out.

--------------

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:36   

If Sal or I had said that, you people who have gone stark raving mad.  The blogophere would have lit up like the 4th of July.

O really? And what do you have to proove that? What's the base of that assumption? Why are you biased like that?
AGAIN: We don't care about Sal himself, we don't care about his choice of words, we don't care about his humor, just about his point.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:40   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,14:36)

As someone with Dembski's sense of humor would say, "takes one to know one".

Now, how about those peer reviewers who looked at Walt Brown's book? How many times can you skirt that question?

--------------
                        - Pattiann Rogers

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:50   

So, bottom line, no pun intended, is that we can now update the slogan to read we are the Church-Burnin', Pig Pokin', Ebola Boys*.

*Plus Kristine and Abbie, cuz us Evolution-luvin', Atheistic Darwanistas condone EEOC compliance.

edited

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,14:51   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,15:36)

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Jan. 03 2008,14:31)

I wasn't aware of being "in" something from which I need a way out.

Meanwhile, Sal's actual posts cause no puzzlement at all:

Are atheists immoral people and bad parents? Incest, Eugenics, and Nachman’s U-Paradox…

...If Darwinists want to impale themselves on their pets like Darwinist Kenneth Pinyan or chop off their private parts like Darwinist John Roughgarden...

But now he's just trolling, if you can call it that (as if he was ever doing anything else). Ftk, you're over here madly defending him, and he's over there cranking out his usual horseshit.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,15:07   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Jan. 03 2008,14:51)
I wasn't aware of being "in" something from which I need a way out.

What you are "out" of is character.  This whole conversation has become increasingly bizarre.  The only way I can reconcile it is by considering that FtK has carefully constructed caricatures for all of us and when you don't react in the way she expects you to react, then she can only keep her world together by assuming that you are lying.  It just doesn't ever enter the picture that you could be more complex or nuanced then the picture she has of you in her mind.  

It would really be much easier if FtK would just distribute the script she has in her mind, so we can all correctly play our part in this melodrama.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,15:07   

Are atheists immoral people and bad parents? Incest, Eugenics, and Nachman’s U-Paradox…

I wonder.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,15:12   

I'm starting to think Sal believes his horseshit in exactly the same way that Ann Coulter believes her horseshit.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,15:16   

Dear Bill, I am NOT defending Sal.  I am truthfully relaying the facts in this incident.  Period.  Sal is his own person, as am I.  I don't suppose you want to be responsible for everything that is written here, do you?  Do you really???  Think about it.

I can post at a blog without on every belief of the other bloggers.  In fact, I personally think it is a good think to have people with varying opinions a blogs and forums.  That is why I come here and defend *my* position and try to tell you about my beliefs and why I support them.

My blog is open to those who are interested in meaningful conversation, and just like PZ, I'll moderate when someone gets nasty, or when I feel the conversation is repetative, going no where, or when someone is posting only to try to make points.  But, I don't ban like PZ does.  Never have.  Even blipey gets a few comments to slip by on occassion.  I've not banned him.

And, if someone was brought up in a topic or comments of my post, they would have the right to defend themselves.

--------------

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,15:19   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,14:22)

Then you have serious reading comprehension issues. Please feel free to point out how that paragraph states that sexual relationships with animals are "deep and meaningful". My guess is you're going to need a pretty flagrant ellipsis. The paragraph quite clearly states that deep and meaningful relationships with animals can (unsurprisingly) lead to sexual expression, and not t'other way 'round (as you would have us believe).

And for my answer to your question, I respectfully disagree with Skatje (mostly on the issue of informed consent), and would disrepectfully disagree with Sal. No cause for ridicule no matter who wrote it, and I dare you to claim any hypocrisy in my provisioning of respect.

csadams

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,15:23   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Jan. 03 2008,14:40)
Now, how about those peer reviewers who looked at Walt Brown's book? How many times can you skirt that question?

FtK, why are you more interested in bestiality than in answering this simple question?

--------------
Stand Up For REAL Science!

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,15:25   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,16:16)
Dear Bill, I am NOT defending Sal.

Nor have I attacked him.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,15:36   

Quote (Kristine @ Jan. 03 2008,15:07)

I wonder.

ooh...

....When you have kids," says Julie Willey, a design engineer,...

Emphasis mine. I bet Julie has qualifications, though..

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,15:41   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,15:16)
Dear Bill, I am NOT defending Sal.  I am truthfully relaying the facts in this incident.  Period.  Sal is his own person, as am I.  I don't suppose you want to be responsible for everything that is written here, do you?  Do you really???  Think about it.

I can post at a blog without on every belief of the other bloggers.  In fact, I personally think it is a good think to have people with varying opinions a blogs and forums.  That is why I come here and defend *my* position and try to tell you about my beliefs and why I support them.

My blog is open to those who are interested in meaningful conversation, and just like PZ, I'll moderate when someone gets nasty, or when I feel the conversation is repetative, going no where, or when someone is posting only to try to make points.  But, I don't ban like PZ does.  Never have.  Even blipey gets a few comments to slip by on occassion.  I've not banned him.

And, if someone was brought up in a topic or comments of my post, they would have the right to defend themselves.

It doesn't matter if you defend him, we care about his point. And THAT'S what it's all about: his point is utter bullcrap, nonsense. Too bad you're not reacting on our explanations why his point is nonsense.

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,15:45   

Quote (csadams @ Jan. 03 2008,15:23)
Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Jan. 03 2008,14:40)

FtK, why are you more interested in bestiality than in answering this simple question?

Because it was posed in order to change the subject, which I am not going to do.  That question has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation we have been having for the past 2 days.  That question was brought from an entirely different thread. I am determined to stick to this subject as long as needed because I am not a liar, and I have relayed everything about this incident accurately.

You people are constantly saying that no one from our side defends themselves because they are undefendable.  So, here I am, and here I'll stay.  In fact, I think PZ owes me an apology.  His name calling attack was completely uncalled for.

--------------

948 replies since July 31 2007,08:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (32) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]