RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (356) < ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 4, Fostering a Greater Understanding of IDC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,10:54   

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,10:55   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Jan. 31 2012,23:27)
KF like that.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?....wamp%22

to have any credibility, he'd have to draw a bright line separating anyone associated with him from anyone associated with the fever swamp

REAK IN TRANSMISSION: BTW, antidotes to the intoxicating Darwin Zealot fever swamp “MG dunit” talking points were collected here

Why don't you contrast say how I have cited and annotated Lewontin saying what he says with say how various fever swamp sites are trying to ...

And, anticipating and correcting another fever swamp drumbeat lie of recent days, no, this is not laying “all the world's ills” at the feet of

the penumbra of fever swamp objector sites – that Gould understood and intended us to understand that this sort of issue extends through the

This is the fever swamp effect; whereby clouds of propagators of talking points tank up at the sources and spread the points all over.

in the usual fever swamp sites, the first default is that a situation is best explained on necessity, and/or chance; in which case S = 0 by default.

the top, arrogant, slanderous extremism is ever more and more tending to be only persuasive to the indoctrinated in their PT fever swamp.

Why don't you create an account here KF? You might as well....

A Special Notice Motion for the next EAC meeting/baby barbecue:

That Church-Burnin Ebola Boys be amended by the deletion of Boys and the substitution of Swamp Pyretics

Absentees may, as usual, send in a postal vote on consecrated hosts.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,11:40   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Feb. 01 2012,10:54)

But if the bones wer not there, the muscles would be hanging loose and not attached to anything.  Therefore the bones serve a purpose = DESIGN!

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,11:46   

additional bacula?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,12:18   

Quote (Freddie @ Feb. 01 2012,01:49)
This is all the stranger given that come the theocratic revolution JoeG will likely be first up against KF's outhouse wall as an undesirable element.

Ack... bad mental imagine.  Where's the brain bleach?

For future safety purposes, please avoid associating the words KF, JoeG, and up against.  Thank you.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,12:33   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Feb. 01 2012,04:29)
Joe:
We have evidence that intelligent entities exist or existed other places than earth.

Yeah, it's in the box next to all the evidence for ID!
Link

There isn't room. The ambiguity has put on weight.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

damitall

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,12:53   

Quote (fnxtr @ Feb. 01 2012,12:33)
Joe:

We have evidence that intelligent entities exist or existed other places than earth.

Link

And have you seen what he gives as evidence?

UK Gov't files on UFO sightings!

Gunthernacus

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,13:37   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Feb. 01 2012,07:50)

Quote (sparc @ Feb. 01 2012,05:03)
If engineers could do the job so much better why are there still priests and pastors?

See the ID research.  Present your own paper.  Only $98 if you register now.  Hurry!  Hurry!  Hurry!

Link

"Early-bird" pricing?  I thought fleece came from sheep.

Quote (fnxtr @ Feb. 01 2012,13:33)

Joe:

Link

LOL.  MPRotW

--------------
Given that we are all descended from Adam and Eve...genetic defects as a result of intra-family marriage would not begin to crop up until after the first few dozen generations. - Dr. Hugh Ross

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,13:39   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Feb. 01 2012,12:18)

This is all the stranger given that come the theocratic revolution JoeG will likely be first up against KF's outhouse wall as an undesirable element.

For future safety purposes, please avoid associating the words KF, JoeG, and up against.  Thank you.

Ah sorry - UK cultural reference which I guess didn't make the Atlantic crossing so well.  Power to the People!

Citizen Smith

And more!

But you've ruined it for me forever - have to go and scrub brain now.

--------------
Joe: Most criticisims of ID stem from ignorance and jealousy.
Joe: As for the authors of the books in the Bible, well the OT was authored by Moses and the NT was authored by various people.
Byers: The eskimo would not need hairy hair growth as hair, I say, is for keeping people dry. Not warm.

Kattarina98

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,14:09   

Quote (Soapy Sam @ Jan. 31 2012,21:42)
Quote (Kattarina98 @ Jan. 31 2012,19:32)

Quote (Soapy Sam @ Jan. 31 2012,18:56)

Quote (Kattarina98 @ Jan. 31 2012,17:08)
BTW, in this thread kf has begun to call the forum that must not speak its name "fever swamp".

Where is this fever swamp of which you speak? I may grab myself an ID!

Whoever mentions or links to "After the Bar Closes" over at UD gets his comment deleted and risks bannination.

Joe linked me here! Still not banninated, though.

All animals are equal but ...

--------------
Barry Arrington is a bitch.

Kattarina98

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,14:11   

Be nice to Timaeus!
Sure, ID supporters aren’t perfect. I would prefer that some of the ID people who post here did not post arguments the length of book chapters with a score of long quotations that no one has time to read. I would prefer it if accusations of immorality or wickedness were never levelled at someone just because he endorses Darwinism or finds some ID argument inadequate. I would prefer it if some people wouldn’t seem to argue as if Darwinism must be false as biology because it had some bad historical consequences for ethics or politics.

bornagain and kf must be fuming.

--------------

noncarborundum

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,14:36   

Quote (Freddie @ Feb. 01 2012,13:39)

Ah sorry - UK cultural reference which I guess didn't make the Atlantic crossing so well.  Power to the People!

Citizen Smith

And more!

I'm trying to figure out what part of this is a UK cultural reference.  Not "up against the wall", surely?

--------------
"The . . . um . . . okay, I was genetically selected for blue eyes.  I know there are brown eyes, because I've observed them, but I can't do it.  Okay?  So . . . um . . . coz that's real genetic selection, not the nonsense Giberson and the others are talking about." - DO'L

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,15:33   

Quote (noncarborundum @ Feb. 01 2012,14:36)
Quote (Freddie @ Feb. 01 2012,13:39)

Citizen Smith

And more!

I'm trying to figure out what part of this is a UK cultural reference.  Not "up against the wall", surely?

Nah ... Woolfie from Citizen Smith (Robert Lindsay).  

Although there is also that memorable up against the wall scene with Leslie Ash in Quadrophenia .... however it would be considered a bit tame by the censors these days I guess.

--------------
Joe: As for the authors of the books in the Bible, well the OT was authored by Moses and the NT was authored by various people.
Byers: The eskimo would not need hairy hair growth as hair, I say, is for keeping people dry. Not warm.

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,17:05   

Now that Dembski is going to have more time on his hands, being relieved of his vacation bible school duties, perhaps he'll address the issue of CSI.  Elizabeth Liddle has provided him with a perfect opportunity, and on his own blog no less:
This is fine if all arrangements are equiprobable. But what if they’re not?

Exactly! In other words, in order to do the calculation for the quantity Dembski calls CSI, the “pattern that signifies intelligence” you have to know the probability of the observed pattern under the null. And Dembski makes absolutely no attempt to even begin to calculate that. And that’s the gaping vacuum at the heart of ID – or at least at the heart of Dembski’s ID.

Kattarina98

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,17:48   

Quote (Patrick @ Feb. 01 2012,17:05)
Now that Dembski is going to have more time on his hands, being relieved of his vacation bible school duties, perhaps he'll address the issue of CSI.  Elizabeth Liddle has provided him with a perfect opportunity, and on his own blog no less:

This is fine if all arrangements are equiprobable. But what if they’re not?

Exactly! In other words, in order to do the calculation for the quantity Dembski calls CSI, the “pattern that signifies intelligence” you have to know the probability of the observed pattern under the null. And Dembski makes absolutely no attempt to even begin to calculate that. And that’s the gaping vacuum at the heart of ID – or at least at the heart of Dembski’s ID.

He won't accept the challenge if he knows what's good for him. Elizabeth Liddle would kill him softly.

--------------

Kattarina98

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,17:53   

And now an insane interlude: Joe has started to obsess about UFOs all over the place and has finally found a kindred soul.  
Strange that in a thread about space aliens no one wants to talk about the evidence for UFOs.

Bruce David agrees:

Or the substantial evidence that the vast majority of the more than 10,000 crop circles reported since the ’80s could not have been produced by any known human technology.

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,18:03   

StephenB:
I, for one, would relish the opportunity to make peace and establish a meaningful and productive dialogue with anyone from the TE community. A dialogue, however, consists of mutual respect and bilateral disclosure. Many there are who relish the luxury of scrutinizing without accepting the burden of being scrutinized. Unilateral grilling is not my idea of a healthy interchange.

Hmm. Would that fit on my sig? Shame I'm never changing it.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,18:56   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Feb. 01 2012,19:03)
StephenB:

I, for one, would relish the opportunity to make peace and establish a meaningful and productive dialogue with anyone from the TE community. A dialogue, however, consists of mutual respect and bilateral disclosure. Many there are who relish the luxury of scrutinizing without accepting the burden of being scrutinized. Unilateral grilling is not my idea of a healthy interchange.

Hmm. Would that fit on my sig? Shame I'm never changing it.

his idea of a "healthy interchange" LMAO

10000 to 1 he is autosexual

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,21:53   

He won't accept the challenge if he knows what's good for him. Elizabeth Liddle would kill him softly.

So, is that the next sequel to "Kill Bill"?

Henry

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,01:55   

Just a reminder for a free meeting:
Cologne Spring Meeting 2012: Molecular Ecology and Evolution

February 22 - 24, 2012

to be held at University of Cologne. A group of eminent invited speakers will discuss links between ecology and evolution at the molecular level. Specific topics include host-pathogen interactions, plant communities and food webs, microbial and viral systems. The meeting is open and no registration or fee is required. Further information on the Spring Meeting can be found at http://www.genetik.uni-koeln.de/spring2....ing2012.

This year's spring meeting will be merged with a Satellite Meeting  Viral Evolution: Linking Genetics to Epidemics, February 24 - 25, 2012 (organized by Michael Lässig, Cologne and Thomas Lengauer, Saarbrücken, see  http://www.sfb680.uni-koeln.de/satelli....12.html).

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,03:16   

But the documentary had some weaknesses. The seven or so minutes devoted to the Nazis and their assimilation of Darwinian theory and its basis in the Holocaust seemed misplaced. Not that there isn’t a connection, but bringing up the Nazis invariably causes the temperature to rise and the train of an argument to be lost. Far better would have been to use those seven minutes to recount the record of accomplishment of intelligent design. This, to me, was the biggest weakness of the movie. So, ID is marginalized and its proponents vilified. But what has it accomplished to show that it doesn’t deserve that treatment? This needed to be spelled out.

Linky

I think they tried that, couldn't find 7 seconds worth of material let alone 7 minutes and decided "screw it, let's go with the Nazi angle ...:"

Wes has an honorable mention ..

Rubes, shouting in: Barbara Forrest! Robert Pennock! Wesley Elsberry! [Rubes told to hush their dam mouths, they dunno what they’re talking about.]

Funny, I have no idea what he/she/it is talking about either.

--------------

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,04:43   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Feb. 01 2012,18:03)

StephenB:      
A dialogue, however, consists of mutual respect and bilateral disclosure.

Presumably that would require the left hand to have some idea of what the right hand's doing?

--------------
SoapySam is a pathetic asswiper. Joe G

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,04:53   

Quote (Kattarina98 @ Feb. 01 2012,17:53)
And now an insane interlude:      
Joe [...] UFO

Bruce David agrees:

Or the substantial evidence that the vast majority of the more than 10,000 crop circles reported since the ’80s could not have been produced by any known human technology.

My favourite 'crop rune' consisted solely of the following symbols, in order: "GREETINGS EARTHLINGS". This is widely felt to be some kind of message.

This site is clearly part of an elaborate conspiracy to cover up the fact that aliens DO routinely visit agricultural regions at the height of the growing season. There is no known human technology that can flatten corn. None.

--------------

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,07:25   

Quote (Freddie @ Feb. 02 2012,03:16)

Rubes, shouting in: Barbara Forrest! Robert Pennock! Wesley Elsberry! [Rubes told to hush their dam mouths, they dunno what they’re talking about.]

That is an honorable mention. Short-listed with Forrest and Pennock... I'll take it!

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,08:07   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Feb. 02 2012,07:25)

Quote (Freddie @ Feb. 02 2012,03:16)

That is an honorable mention. Short-listed with Forrest and Pennock... I'll take it!

One for the scrapbook.  When I looked closer that quote is not in the original article but has been inserted by Dense in her post as if it is, with no other attribution.  The poorest sort of journalism - and I use the 'J' word as loosely as possible, of course, in exactly the same way I would use the 'I' word, Integrity, in her case.

I'm surprised she used the word dam as well, but as she likely intentionally spelled it incorrectly she'll maybe get away with it on judgment day.

--------------

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,09:12   

"GREETINGS EARTHLINGS"

They are sooo smart; they even know we are supposed to be addressed "earthlings". Why don't we ever reply to them on the cropsite?

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

The whole truth

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,09:14   

Quote (Kattarina98 @ Feb. 01 2012,15:53)
And now an insane interlude: Joe has started to obsess about UFOs all over the place and has finally found a kindred soul.    
Strange that in a thread about space aliens no one wants to talk about the evidence for UFOs.

Bruce David agrees:

Those two IDiots are really showing the type of loons that are attracted to the ID agenda.

Maybe a sock could ask joe and bruce if they have been captured and 'probed' by aliens, and what they think about Bigfoot, Abominable Snowmen, the Loch Ness Monster, dinosaurs allegedly still living in jungles, fire breathing dragons, monsters under their beds, vampires, alien body snatchers, von Däniken, demons, angels, the 'face' and 'canals' on Mars, whether Elvis is still alive and performing on another planet, whether there are amazon women on other planets, whether aliens built all the big pyramids or anything else on Earth, and other important scientific questions?  ;)

Pressing joe for more of his beliefs about the Coral Castle should be good for more laughs too.

--------------
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. - Jesus in Matthew 10:34

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. -Jesus in Luke 19:27

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,09:52   

Quote (Quack @ Feb. 02 2012,09:12)

"GREETINGS EARTHLINGS"

They are sooo smart; they even know we are supposed to be addressed "earthlings". Why don't we ever reply to them on the cropsite?

Those symbols are actually a recipe for cold fusion in the Zargho dialect of Nebulon 5. They are trying to help us.

On the circlemaker site I linked are a couple of nice videos. One is a clip from a Brit program called QI which engaged the services of circle makers to inscribe their logo - lower case i inside a Q shaped like a magnifying glass. The production office was called within an hour of daybreak with the enquiry "is this real or man-made?".  

The next video shows a couple of Norwegian circlers at the site, breathing in the energy. One shows the others an aerial photograph, with the logo on its side. "Is that a man in a circle? Wow - it's like some kind of magnifying glass ... ".

The Youtube comments (yes, I know) on both those clips make one despair for sanity.

--------------

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,10:22   

Quote (The whole truth @ Feb. 02 2012,09:14)
Quote (Kattarina98 @ Feb. 01 2012,15:53)

Bruce David agrees:

Those two IDiots are really showing the type of loons that are attracted to the ID agenda.

Maybe a sock could ask joe and bruce if they have been captured and 'probed' by aliens, and what they think about Bigfoot, Abominable Snowmen, the Loch Ness Monster, dinosaurs allegedly still living in jungles, fire breathing dragons, monsters under their beds, vampires, alien body snatchers, von Däniken, demons, angels, the 'face' and 'canals' on Mars, whether Elvis is still alive and performing on another planet, whether there are amazon women on other planets, whether aliens built all the big pyramids or anything else on Earth, and other important scientific questions?  ;)

Pressing joe for more of his beliefs about the Coral Castle should be good for more laughs too.

This topic always irritates me to the point of hopping on a soapbox. I'm still in awe at the number of (what I consider) fairly rational people who believe in extraterrestrial interplanetary intelligent travelers.

I actually had a heated argument with a bunch of folks I get together with regularly on Wednesday nights (we've gotten together on Wednesdays for an eat-good-food diner thing for the past 15 years or so) about the possibility of such visits. I freely admit that I'm extremely skeptical to the point of nearly dismissing the notion on such interstellar visits. Simple examination of the nearby cosmos and actually contemplating the energies to move objects such distances, to say nothing of the unbelievably infinitesimal probability of some intelligent life out there some 400 light years away actually choosing to come towards our solar system and finding us as opposed to heading in any other direction. The scales of such things just boggle my mind.

I know, I know...I'm using a very similar type of argument against such an event that IDers/Creationists use against evolution, but I really don't think in this case that there could be a number of random tries to offset the odds.

I mean, just consider for a moment how long it would have to take such an intelligence to get here. Let's suppose that such an entity actually figured out how to travel at the speed of light (which I really think is a stretch, but whatever), why would it pick Earth to come to? Let's say it lives on a planet in a solar system nearly next door at 100 light years away (Christophr Lovis and his team found one recently about 127 light years from Earth). So, assuming a landing some time around 1950 -1960 or so, that means that the entity left around 1850 or so, right? How'd it detect earth back then...actually before then since there had to be some planning and ship building and what not once the decision to come here was made. We weren't beaming any electromagnetic radio waves into space back then. We had no electronics or even electric light to detect from 100 light years away. Why come this direction as opposed to going in any other?

Note, I'm not saying anything about the possibility that such entities exist. I think that's quite possible. I just find it hard to imagine they could make their way to Earth.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,10:59   

Quote (Robin @ Feb. 02 2012,08:22)
I freely admit that I'm extremely skeptical to the point of nearly dismissing the notion on such interstellar visits. Simple examination of the nearby cosmos and actually contemplating the energies to move objects such distances, to say nothing of the unbelievably infinitesimal probability of some intelligent life out there some 400 light years away actually choosing to come towards our solar system and finding us as opposed to heading in any other direction.

If any of them are within about 60 light years and have picked up our TV broadcasts, they'll be heading in the opposite direction, and fast.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

10669 replies since Aug. 31 2011,21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (356) < ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]