RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (46) < ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... >   
  Topic: Can you do geology and junk the evolution bits ?, Anti science.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 22 2010,06:45   

So many sig-worthy sentences, it's impossible to choose!

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 22 2010,09:35   

Don't throw the baby out with bath water is a classic concept in research on any subject.

oh jeez thassa nuther goodun

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 22 2010,09:35   

dammit albie beat me to it

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 22 2010,11:49   

Quote (Robert Byers @ Feb. 22 2010,01:18)
This makes my case how details about marsupials are not relevant to a original one and then despite evolution creativity yet still keeping a few common details from which their are all defined.

Is it me, or is Bobby getting even less coherent?  He was never exactly Mr Elegant Prose, but this is straight out of English As She Is Spoke.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 22 2010,14:39   

Quote (Robert Byers @ Feb. 22 2010,03:18)
This is because their presumptions and conclusions are wrong and have no enduring value.

When will you be publishing your paper formally showing this to be the case?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Timothy McDougald

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 22 2010,19:54   

Babysteps. We have gone from :

Workers in these areas do not classify marsupials together from anatomy but rather from a few details and a general presumption that these few details trump the great number of details otherwise.

To this:

Anyways you make a point about many points that are alike between marsupials.

Now if we can only get specific details on this:

If you break it up into hundreds of points then likewise thousands or more points are similar between marsupials and placentals.

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

Robert Byers

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2010,00:09   

Quote (afarensis @ Feb. 22 2010,19:54)

Workers in these areas do not classify marsupials together from anatomy but rather from a few details and a general presumption that these few details trump the great number of details otherwise.

To this:

If you break it up into hundreds of points then likewise thousands or more points are similar between marsupials and placentals.

I only mean there are a few points alike between marsupials. As I always said. I still insist, for example, a marsupial wolf and our wolves are some 90-95 % the same. While a marsupial wolf with other marsupials is only 1-5% the same.
It all comes down to how one groups biological life.
Its been a error of the past to ignore the great likeness between same shaped creatures and instead focus on minor, relative, points for classification.
I'm confident in the future modern biology will agree with this biblical creationist.
Stay tuned folks.

Acipenser

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2010,00:52   

Quote (Robert Byers @ Feb. 26 2010,00:09)

To this:

I only mean there are a few points alike between marsupials. As I always said. I still insist, for example, a marsupial wolf and our wolves are some 90-95 % the same. While a marsupial wolf with other marsupials is only 1-5% the same.
Its been a error of the past to ignore the great likeness between same shaped creatures and instead focus on minor, relative, points for classification.
I'm confident in the future modern biology will agree with this biblical creationist.
Stay tuned folks.

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2010,01:01   

Quote (Acipenser @ Feb. 26 2010,00:52)

To this:

Stay tuned folks.

I'm still waiting for his evidence that marsupial wolves and placental wolves are related - I won't even ask for his 90-95% range.  Any evidence, not just assertions, not just saying "look at the videos (but only if you agree with me)".  Come on Bobby!  Let's see some actual evidence - data we can look at objectively.  Morphology, physiology, genetics...what have you got?  

You still ignore the chimpanzee-human comparisons that "anyone can see if they watch the videos" (to paraphrase).  I wonder why that is?

edit - although, after reading the tardgasm thread (and others), I kinda feel lost without hearing something about butts.  It just doesn't feel right without an "asshole" for some reason.

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2010,02:59   

Robert,  
I only mean there are a few points alike between marsupials. As I always said. I still insist, for example, a marsupial wolf and our wolves are some 90-95 % the same.

Why not 100%? How many % are you 'the same' as your father?

What exactly do your classification term 'same' mean, can you please let us know how the definition?

Since we are already dealing with wolves, could you apply your method to dogs? How many % sameness do schäfer, St. Bernard, and Chihuahua have with wolves? Or just between themselves?

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2010,12:04   

Yeah, how dare biologists put more importance on internal details and DNA than they do on outward shape!

(Sort of like how they decided that whales aren't fish.)

Henry

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2010,12:05   

I'm still waiting for his evidence that marsupial wolves and placental wolves are related - I won't even ask for his 90-95% range.

They're both mammals!!111!!one!!

(I.e., it's not whether or not they're related, since all mammals are related to each other, it's whether a given marsupial is more related to one particular placental than to any other placental.)

Henry

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2010,12:26   

Quote (Robert Byers @ Feb. 25 2010,22:09)
<snip> I still insist <snip>

I like how he says this as though he's actually done anything else...ever.  Dogged insistence is all you got, Robby.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2010,12:29   

Quote (Badger3k @ Feb. 25 2010,23:01)
I'm still waiting for his evidence that marsupial wolves and placental wolves are related - I won't even ask for his 90-95% range.  

But, dude, they're like nearly identical, what with them both having all that carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and, um, like, carbon and you know....like that.  And stuff. Air?  They got that, right?

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2010,13:26   

Quote (didymos @ Feb. 26 2010,12:29)
Quote (Badger3k @ Feb. 25 2010,23:01)

But, dude, they're like nearly identical, what with them both having all that carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and, um, like, carbon and you know....like that.  And stuff. Air?  They got that, right?

Did you ever really, I mean, really, looked at a thylacine paw?  It's HUGE!  Dude....  And a Wolf paw?  Dude!  Now I got the munchies...do Thylacines like get the munchies too?  Wow.  The colors....

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Timothy McDougald

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2010,19:36   

To this:

Stay tuned folks.

No, again this is 100% dead wrong. As mentioned earlier a wide variety of traits are used, over and above that care is taken to make sure that such traits are not linked developmentally so that duplicate signals do not override the true relationship.

Also, as mentioned above, similarities of form are not ignored, they are examined, like in the case of the similarity in eye orbits between tarsiers and anthropoids above, to see if the similarities arose because of similar anatomy and developmental process of if, like in the tarsier/anthropoid case, they are based on a completely different anatomy.

Let's make the question simpler. In what anatomical features is the thylacine not like other marsupials? This should be easy for you to answer since you claim only a 1-5% similarity between it and marsupials?

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

Krubozumo Nyankoye

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2010,04:02   

Just dropping in on a thread that involves geology, I have wasted an inordinate amount of time reading the first 17 pages and had to skip to the end because I have to get to work in about 5 hours.

It is very entertaining to read various people's responses to the creotards inanities but I have to admit I don't have the fortitude for it. Life is too short. That is not so say I do not have a kind of grudging respect for the many here who actually choose to remain in the trenches risking intellectual damage to themselves out of the sheer obstinacy of the the stupidity and dishonesty of a Byers. If life was just, you all should be rewarded.

But I would like to try to bring the thread, perhaps in parallel back to the original question which is what caught my attention in the first place.  The question that was broached if memory serves me, was something to the effect, is it possible to be a geologist and deny evolution?

The obvious answer is of course yes. I am sure many of my colleagues think evolution is bunk.  Why they think so I cannot very well elaborate on because frankly I haven't much opportunity and even less interest in discussing it with them.  Or much of anything else for that matter.

While it is quite true that in my own field for example evolution is not a factor at all, my grounding in geology is far broader than my own field, and I have some limited knowledge of many of its other disciplines.  Something that is not overly obvious to one outside the scientific envioronment that is very important is having a sense of confidence in and trust of the motives and efforts and intentions of ones fellows (pts), which gives an ability to rely on other's work in trying to further your own. In a word trust.

After 35 years of effort trying to learn a very narrow and specific subset of geology within its overall context to the science as a whole and the the society in which I pursue it, I have not made much of any contribution, but everything I have contributed to the best of my ability has always been honest.  And for my confidence in my own honesty to be at least reasonably high, I have to make an effort to critically understand what others in that field are finding. To a great extent I have to trust that they too are making their best effort.

I will go away from the evolution question for a moment and portray instead a different motivation that I think corrupts the science - money. It is similar to creationism but I won't address that. Money can corrupt good science and produce phony science in abundance.  It happens all the time. In my specific field it happens mainly on stock exchanges where mineral properties that are probably worthless are touted as the next great gold rush. The scientists who provide the information that is turned into hype rationalize the dishonesty of it in some way. Often I am sure it is simply a matter of a marginally negative assessment being turned into a big winner because that is the only way to move investors.

So my conclusion is that yes indeed one can be a 'geologist' and still hold beliefs that are contradictory to the premise of the whole discipline,  and at the same time demonstrably of spurious origins.  I do not at all mean to imply that most scientists, in any field, are corrupt. But obviously, some are in every field, because of things like money, and self-serving beliefs.

Just as in this forum, you have to learn whom you can trust.

I want to make one last observation. I think that the purpose of attacking science, whether it be by political or polemical or other means, is intended solely and entirely to try to discredit its results.  The purveyors of the snake oil of faith realize that if the body politic understands the power of science they are doomed. Because they rely entirely on superstition.

I for one never cared whether someone clung to superstition or not, until they began to try to impose it on me.

My circumstances are such that I am able to communicate only for a few hours late in the day but I would like to continue the discussion of the threats and condition of science both academic and applied with those here who are serious about it.

That is to say to the creotards I intend to ignore you.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2010,08:12   

Quote (Krubozumo Nyankoye @ Mar. 01 2010,04:02)

Well said (well, written...) and welcome!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Krubozumo Nyankoye

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,00:18   

Thank you Jdog,

Since this thread has survived this long I will keep coming back to see if some interesting conversation arises.

Ciao,

Robert Byers

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,02:43   

Quote (Quack @ Feb. 26 2010,02:59)
Robert,  
I only mean there are a few points alike between marsupials. As I always said. I still insist, for example, a marsupial wolf and our wolves are some 90-95 % the same.

Why not 100%? How many % are you 'the same' as your father?

What exactly do your classification term 'same' mean, can you please let us know how the definition?

Since we are already dealing with wolves, could you apply your method to dogs? How many % sameness do schäfer, St. Bernard, and Chihuahua have with wolves? Or just between themselves?

All dogs are about 98% or better the same in domestic breeds.
The classification of seeing dog types, wolves, foxes, etc as the same kind is fine. I say one can add living or fossil creatures to it who have a few details of difference that are now used to classify them as unrelated.
In fact this creationist would even say bears and dogs are of the same kind from off the ark. another issue.

Robert Byers

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,02:48   

Quote (afarensis @ Feb. 26 2010,19:36)

To this:

Stay tuned folks.

No, again this is 100% dead wrong. As mentioned earlier a wide variety of traits are used, over and above that care is taken to make sure that such traits are not linked developmentally so that duplicate signals do not override the true relationship.

Also, as mentioned above, similarities of form are not ignored, they are examined, like in the case of the similarity in eye orbits between tarsiers and anthropoids above, to see if the similarities arose because of similar anatomy and developmental process of if, like in the tarsier/anthropoid case, they are based on a completely different anatomy.

Let's make the question simpler. In what anatomical features is the thylacine not like other marsupials? This should be easy for you to answer since you claim only a 1-5% similarity between it and marsupials?

Marsupials are not related as indicated by the thousands of points of anatomy that produce the twists and turns of form that indicates to ones observation very different creatures. so different that a different concept of convergent evolution must be invoked to explain how they came to look like placental types elsewhere on the planet.

The marsupial wolf does not look like a marsupial mole. Even if it has a few details like the reproductive system or this or that.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,03:00   

Quote (Robert Byers @ Mar. 02 2010,02:43)
In fact this creationist would even say bears and dogs are of the same kind from off the ark.

why?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Robert Byers

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,03:06   

Quote (Krubozumo Nyankoye @ Mar. 01 2010,04:02)
Just dropping in on a thread that involves geology, I have wasted an inordinate amount of time reading the first 17 pages and had to skip to the end because I have to get to work in about 5 hours.

It is very entertaining to read various people's responses to the creotards inanities but I have to admit I don't have the fortitude for it. Life is too short. That is not so say I do not have a kind of grudging respect for the many here who actually choose to remain in the trenches risking intellectual damage to themselves out of the sheer obstinacy of the the stupidity and dishonesty of a Byers. If life was just, you all should be rewarded.

But I would like to try to bring the thread, perhaps in parallel back to the original question which is what caught my attention in the first place.  The question that was broached if memory serves me, was something to the effect, is it possible to be a geologist and deny evolution?

The obvious answer is of course yes. I am sure many of my colleagues think evolution is bunk.  Why they think so I cannot very well elaborate on because frankly I haven't much opportunity and even less interest in discussing it with them.  Or much of anything else for that matter.

While it is quite true that in my own field for example evolution is not a factor at all, my grounding in geology is far broader than my own field, and I have some limited knowledge of many of its other disciplines.  Something that is not overly obvious to one outside the scientific envioronment that is very important is having a sense of confidence in and trust of the motives and efforts and intentions of ones fellows (pts), which gives an ability to rely on other's work in trying to further your own. In a word trust.

After 35 years of effort trying to learn a very narrow and specific subset of geology within its overall context to the science as a whole and the the society in which I pursue it, I have not made much of any contribution, but everything I have contributed to the best of my ability has always been honest.  And for my confidence in my own honesty to be at least reasonably high, I have to make an effort to critically understand what others in that field are finding. To a great extent I have to trust that they too are making their best effort.

I will go away from the evolution question for a moment and portray instead a different motivation that I think corrupts the science - money. It is similar to creationism but I won't address that. Money can corrupt good science and produce phony science in abundance.  It happens all the time. In my specific field it happens mainly on stock exchanges where mineral properties that are probably worthless are touted as the next great gold rush. The scientists who provide the information that is turned into hype rationalize the dishonesty of it in some way. Often I am sure it is simply a matter of a marginally negative assessment being turned into a big winner because that is the only way to move investors.

So my conclusion is that yes indeed one can be a 'geologist' and still hold beliefs that are contradictory to the premise of the whole discipline,  and at the same time demonstrably of spurious origins.  I do not at all mean to imply that most scientists, in any field, are corrupt. But obviously, some are in every field, because of things like money, and self-serving beliefs.

Just as in this forum, you have to learn whom you can trust.

I want to make one last observation. I think that the purpose of attacking science, whether it be by political or polemical or other means, is intended solely and entirely to try to discredit its results.  The purveyors of the snake oil of faith realize that if the body politic understands the power of science they are doomed. Because they rely entirely on superstition.

I for one never cared whether someone clung to superstition or not, until they began to try to impose it on me.

My circumstances are such that I am able to communicate only for a few hours late in the day but I would like to continue the discussion of the threats and condition of science both academic and applied with those here who are serious about it.

You admit geologists have false motives. AMEN. When origin issues touch on religion its obvious to all creationisms that there is more going on then mere scholarship.
We agree that some geologists can't be trusted.
You say you contributed nothing to your field. Why not? why should a creationist be impressed with your conclusions?
I'm not stupid or dishonest. Of coarse if I was I wouldn't know it or honestly admit it. A line of reasoning.

You wrote that you will ignore creationists.
Yet these are forums to discuss these things?!
Ignoring creationism will not save the side of error.
Contribute here where your expertise in geology is relevant.
.Unless you truly are  ignoring us.

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,04:15   

I'm not stupid or dishonest. Of coarse if I was I wouldn't know it or honestly admit it. A line of reasoning.

Foot. Aim. Shoot. Hit. Sic transit ...

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,08:25   

Quote (Robert Byers @ Mar. 02 2010,02:48)
The marsupial wolf does not look like a marsupial mole. Even if it has a few details like the reproductive system or this or that.

Stoned Baby . . .

. . . says "Dude, ah, whut?"

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

ppb

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,09:02   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Mar. 02 2010,04:00)
Quote (Robert Byers @ Mar. 02 2010,02:43)
In fact this creationist would even say bears and dogs are of the same kind from off the ark.

why?

Why not?  It makes about as much sense as anything else he's said.

It's easy when you're just makin' shit up.

--------------
"[A scientific theory] describes Nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And it agrees fully with experiment. So I hope you can accept Nature as She is - absurd."
- Richard P. Feynman

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,10:36   

Even if it has a few details like the reproductive system or this or that.

Since you obviously are an expert, please tell us more about those this and that's. How many this or that's have you identified? How do you differentiate between relevant and irrelevant this or that?

I hate it when details are left hanging in the air. What would you say to a car mechanic that refused to bother with "a few details like the carburettor and other this's and that's" in your car? Do your employer know about your sloppiness, how you think details doesn't matter?

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,12:15   

Maybe the devil's in those details!

Henry

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,17:28   

Robert doesn't think he needs to match our pathetic level of detail.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2010,19:02   

Yeah, internal details don't seem to matter to him. Just the outer shape, which is the aspect on which small changes can add up to streamlining in water or faster running on land or better grip on things with its jaws, or other such things. But any of those can result from accumulation of small changes, each of which produces a slight increase in efficiency or effectiveness. Internal details are less apt to change in a given time frame than outer shape, which makes them more reliable as indicators of relatedness. At least that's my understanding of the current theory.

One thing I don't get is why all the concern about marsupial classification; I don't see what he would gain from winning that argument. Even if each type of marsupial were a closer relative to a particular order of placentals rather than to other marsupials, it's still evolution.

Henry

1350 replies since Sep. 08 2009,09:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (46) < ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]