RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 943 944 945 946 947 [948] 949 950 951 952 953 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,09:24   

Quote (dheddle @ May 22 2008,08:55)
WAD:

Do many worlds present a business opportunity? Would it be possible, for a modest fee, for people to have worlds named after them? Are worlds, like genes, patentable?

Or am I just dreaming? Would it be fair to say that a science is not a science unless there is money to be made off of it? Darwinists and global warming people seem to have learned that lesson.

Sing along,

Doctor, Doctor, Mister Bill D,
you gotta bad case of mammon envy!

Arf! You looking for PoTW? The two 'doctors' is apt!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,09:28   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ May 22 2008,07:17)
Kairosfocus brings the good stuff.    
SC:
In re:

I ask again, how is this different than a subjective assessment? I had thought CSI was a computational system developed by Dr. Dembski. I will be a bit discouraged if it has only advanced it to the “yes”, “no”, “more”, “less” level of formalization.

ALL measurements are digitisable. So, in principle [and in praxis too . . .] ALL measurements are a chain of yes/no, more/less decisions.

Equally — and as pointed out above — ALL measurements incorporate a subjective element. Indeed, ALL knowledge inevitably incorporates a subjective element. Further to this, every quantity is also about a quality: how much of X is in the end about in part recognising the presence/absence of X. Moreover, once we address information, as opposed to mere concatenations of elements forming a contingent whole, we are dealing with issues of intent, purpose, context etc — i.e the active mind, thus again the subjective.

Objectivity is about whether there is credibly more than the merely subjective, and CSI — especially FSCI — far and away passes that test.

In short you may be falling into dismissive, selective hyperskepticism; which is inevitably incoherent.

Shorter KF

I can't address your question about the emperor's lack of clothes, but if you just breathe more deeply from this pipe o'tard, you won't notice that any more.

Shorter shorter KF.

2+2 might equal 4. But if I don't like the result then goddidit.

--------------
"It’s not worth the effort to prove the obvious. Ridiculous ideas don’t deserve our time.
Even the attempt to formulate ID is a generous accommodation." - ScottAndrews

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,09:34   

Quote (Annyday @ May 22 2008,08:01)
Quote (Dr.GH @ May 21 2008,21:49)
Quote (Annyday @ May 21 2008,13:17)
It's sad that the Isaac Newton of information theory and paradigm-shifter for molecular biology can't surpass the social sciences in precision. Given the fairly high mathematical standards of biologists, I foresee a long, dark road ahead of those taking such a soft approach.

Biology has been all a twitter the last 5 or so years about "networks."  Network analysis was begun by an anthropologist, Jay Barns in the 1950s.  The application of graph theory to network analysis was pioneered by social scientists in the 1970s. I still occasionally get requests for a copy of one of my 1983 conference   papers "An Application of Graph Centrality to Psychiatric Diagnosis." The numerical taxonomy of the early '70s was using programs developed by psychologists (See Sneath and Sokal).  The idea that biologists have greater math skills than the social scientists is bullshit.

I agree.

Huh. What does any of that have to do with the original statement?

Given the fairly high mathematical standards of biologists, I foresee a long, dark road ahead of those taking such a soft approach.

That wasn't about skillfulness, it was about what standard of mathematical rigor passed as acceptable in the field. Trying to establish or disestablish the truth value there can't be done with anecdote.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,09:37   

Quote (dheddle @ May 22 2008,06:55)
WAD:

Do many worlds present a business opportunity? Would it be possible, for a modest fee, for people to have worlds named after them? Are worlds, like genes, patentable?

Or am I just dreaming? Would it be fair to say that a science is not a science unless there is money to be made off of it? Darwinists and global warming people seem to have learned that lesson.

Sing along,

No, Bill's right. I can't tell you how the UC scientist types own all the multimillion dollar houses around the Bay Area. They own everything here. They've bought off the police and politicians, and you always see them driving around with $100K suits, gold jewelry and high class prostitutes. The biologists and climatologists are the worst. It's a disgrace. Still, I guess we can't begrudge Bill wanting some of that.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,10:12   

Quote (N.Wells @ May 22 2008,07:02)
It occurs to me that O'Leary is in some ways almost the exact opposite of Davison in the blogosphere.  Davison makes one blog that just grows and grows without subdividing or branching until it dies of bloat, while O'Leary keeps ferociously spinning off progeny until we have an infinity of infinitely insignificant entities.  Both are like failed e-universes, in that both are sterile wastelands that have given rise to nothing useful, which nobody wants to visit, and where nothing interesting ever happens.

That is almost poetic.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,10:20   

Quote (N.Wells @ May 22 2008,07:02)
It occurs to me that O'Leary is in some ways almost the exact opposite of Davison in the blogosphere.  Davison makes one blog that just grows and grows without subdividing or branching until it dies of bloat, while O'Leary keeps ferociously spinning off progeny until we have an infinity of infinitely insignificant entities.  Both are like failed e-universes, in that both are sterile wastelands that have given rise to nothing useful, which nobody wants to visit, and where nothing interesting ever happens.

Also:

1) Javison was a real scientist at one point
2) Javison can be intentionally funny
3) Javison actually can write

Also, Denyse doesn't have groupies, like JAD and his VMartin. The very idea of someone wanting to follow DO'L around makes me dizzy.

But ultimately both of them have pretty much identical impacts on science.

Got that? Write it down!

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,10:28   

leo stands up to Dr Dr WmAD:

22 May 2008

“There is no controversy”
William Dembski

“There is no controversy.” “There should be no controversy.” “It’s okay to expel those who pretend that there is a controversy.” “Academic freedom does not apply where the scientific consensus says there is no controversy.” …

The Washington Post has a ridiculous editorial that elevates evolutionary theory to the same status as gravitational theory and the truths of mathematics (go here).

Meanwhile, the Altenberg meeting coming up this summer brings together biologists who see the contemporary state of evolutionary theory as in upheaval (go here). Yes, the field is in disarray, but there is NO CONTROVERSY. What, are we living in a Kafka novel?

leo
05/22/2008
10:16 am
The first quote was in the editorial, but not the other ones. I guess making up quotes is one way of trying to start a controversy.

RBH, start the bannination countdown.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,10:50   

What's up with Altenberg anyway? The designheads are talking about it the way people who weren't there talk about Woodstock.

Anything likely to come out of Altenberg besides aromatic smoke?

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Steverino

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,10:55   

Not sure why but....O'Leary reminds me of Vincent Van Gopher from the Deputy Dawg Show

or...could be the sh!t I'm smoking.....

--------------
- Born right the first time.
- Asking questions is NOT the same as providing answers.
- It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys show up!

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,10:56   

Smarter People say: "Keep Quite"

http://www.uncommondescent.com/evoluti....-289139

BarryA

05/22/2008

10:47 am
leo, give it a rest. The escalating satire of the 2-3 quotes was obvious. If you aren’t smart enough to recognize satire when it is kicking you in the pants, the next best thing would be to keep quite while smarter people discuss the issues.

Ps - YES, I NO EYE AM TEH TYPOKING.

ETA: Leo should reply that "he was being satirical and is surprised Barry didn't get it."

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,11:09   

I think it is worth knowing the source and context of the "no controversy" quote.  Jay Labov,  the National Academy's Senior Advisor for Education and Communications, gave an interview to Free Exchange on Campus.  The relevant excerpt:

The overwhelming consensus of the scientific community, based on an overwhelming body of evidence (which is summarized in Science, Evolution, and Creationism) is that there is no viable alternative to evolution that explains the biodiversity observed on this planet. Despite the doubt that critics have attempted to sow for the past 80 years, there is no controversy within the scientific community that evolution has occurred and continues to occur. The only viable debates among scientists are about the mechanisms of evolution. These debates are entirely consistent with disagreements among scientists in other fields about various phenomena. However, as with all science, scientific disagreements about the mechanisms of evolution are argued around scientific evidence.

Someone should post it on that thread and see Dr Dr nix it.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,12:42   

Quote (dheddle @ May 22 2008,08:55)
WAD:

Sing along,

Billy's first degree was in psychology, but it seems he's never heard of projection.

Does $200/hour ring a bell, Dr. D?

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,12:48   

Nixplanated!

leo

05/22/2008

11:02 am

BarryA,

I’m shocked. Rightous anger when the inaccuracy (or shall I say outright lie) of a post is pointed out! From you! Instead of noting that it was wrong, you continue to genuflect.

The fact is, when one wants to be taken seriously, one has to act seriously.

[Leo: I’m afraid you don’t have the right sense of humor for this forum. Goodbye. –WmAD]

Poor Leo.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

BopDiddy

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,12:51   

Is Dr^n in Australia, where it's already Friday?

He's really throwing the toys out of his pram over this one.

“There is no controversy”
William Dembski

“There is no controversy.” “There should be no controversy.” “It’s okay to expel those who pretend that there is a controversy.” “Academic freedom does not apply where the scientific consensus says there is no controversy.” …

The Washington Post has a ridiculous editorial that elevates evolutionary theory to the same status as gravitational theory and the truths of mathematics go here.

Meanwhile, the Altenberg meeting coming up this summer brings together biologists who see the contemporary state of evolutionary theory as in upheaval (go here). Yes, the field is in disarray, but there is NO CONTROVERSY. What, are we living in a Kafka novel?

(EDITED to add the quote to save people from having to actually go to UD)

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,12:53   

sparc, on the other hand, does have a sense of humor:

Maybe a tag would help. Something like For heaven’s sake people. This is a P-A-R-O-D-Y !!

Will that be the cited reason for his bannination?

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,12:58   

CJYman smokes some good stuff:

Now on to gravitational theory. Do we even have a gravitational theory? There’s quantum field theory and then there’s string theory and do we yet know if gravity is a field or a boson … very controversial stuff here.

I vaguely recall the names of Newton and Einstein, but who am I to object?

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,13:06   

Is Leo the identical with the Leo Stotch who has been banned by DaveScot recently?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,13:12   

Denyse is rather coy

O'Leary

05/22/2008

7:50 am

Tard Alert!

Bob O’H, I own three Blogger blogs, each of which supports a book, present or proposed. I am paid to blog at several sites and volunteer blog or guest blog at others. It is a congenial way of life for a freelance writer.

OK, she won't tell me, but let's try and work it out.  Her three blogspot blogs are
http://collidinguniverses.blogspot.com/
http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/
http://mindfulhack.blogspot.com/

Then she also posts at
UD http://www.uncommondescent.com/
DoL http://www.thedesignoflife.net/
Overwhelming Silence http://www.overwhelmingevidence.com/oe/

what have I missed?  And which onse does she get paid for?

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,13:16   

Quote (Bob O'H @ May 22 2008,11:12)
Denyse is rather coy    
O'Leary

05/22/2008

Tard Alert!

Bob O’H, I own three Blogger blogs, each of which supports a book, present or proposed. I am paid to blog at several sites and volunteer blog or guest blog at others. It is a congenial way of life for a freelance writer.

Does this mean she has finally, mercifully, quit referring to herself as a 'journalist'?

I'm sorry, I refuse to believe anyone pays Denyse to blog anywhere.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,13:18   

Quote (olegt @ May 22 2008,10:58)

Now on to gravitational theory. Do we even have a gravitational theory? There’s quantum field theory and then there’s string theory and do we yet know if gravity is a field or a boson … very controversial stuff here.

Yes, and Isaac Newton was Christian, therefore Intelligent Design is true.

--------------

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,13:34   

WMAD
[Leo: I’m afraid you don’t have the right sense of humor for this forum. Goodbye. –WmAD]
I finally got it: Bannianation is the running gag at UD. According to Wikipedia    
often, the humor in a running gag derives entirely from how often it is repeated.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,13:40   

Quote (sparc @ May 22 2008,13:34)
WMAD  
I finally got it: Bannianation is the running gag at UD. According to Wikipedia      
often, the humor in a running gag derives entirely from how often it is repeated.

Didn't Dembski promise no more louderspeaker from the sky from anyone at some point?

--------------

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,13:43   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ May 22 2008,11:18)
Quote (olegt @ May 22 2008,10:58)

Yes, and Isaac Newton was Christian, therefore Intelligent Design is true.

Yes, but he wore a wig and high heels, and was a (cough) confirmed bachelor.  Therefore gravitation is false.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

dogdidit

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,13:54   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ May 22 2008,13:16)

Quote (Bob O'H @ May 22 2008,11:12)
Denyse is rather coy        
O'Leary

05/22/2008

Tard Alert!

Does this mean she has finally, mercifully, quit referring to herself as a 'journalist'?

I'm sorry, I refuse to believe anyone pays Denyse to blog anywhere.

I on the other hand have no difficulty believing that someone would pay Denyse to blog somewhere else.  :)

Edited by Lou FCD on May 22 2008,16:00

--------------
"Humans carry plants and animals all over the globe, thus introducing them to places they could never have reached on their own. That certainly increases biodiversity." - D'OL

BopDiddy

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,14:13   

I thought you guys might enjoy the fact that our favourite crocoduck wrangler has been interviewed on Dennis Miller Radio.

See if you can catch the irony and hypocrisy (read: not get run over by it) when he gives advice for Miley Cyrus early on (from 1:50).  He then goes on to talk about his "blind faith" in his teachers and the "Richard Dawkins crowd" at 3:20.  Then he's a poster boy for Pascal's Wager and the fear of death.

Disclaimer: I'm not a huge fan of Dennis Miller (at least not anymore) but occasionally his interview subjects are quite entertaining.  Unlike
this git.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,15:01   

That's three PotW over the last page.

Y'all are on a roll.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,15:36   

This is a riot.

CJYman
05/22/2008
3:02 pm
Adding to what I wrote two comments earlier, Theoretical Physicist Lee Smolin thinks that we may need to review even some of our most basic understanding of Physics.

It is good for Theories to go through spring cleaning once in a while. You’d be amazed at what you may find — both good and bad.

I'm afraid no amount of spring cleaning will get rid of Newtonian mechanics.  It lives on despite the two 20th-century revolutions that brought about relativity and quantum mechanics.  No surprise there: classical mechanics has been thoroughly tested in its domain of validity (low velocities and large scales).  Relativity and quantum theory have supplanted it outside of that realm.  But we still rely on classical mechanics when we build bridges and launch satellites.  Will these guys ever learn?

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Sealawr

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,15:57   

Denyse is rather coy Quote  

O'Leary

05/22/2008

Tard Alert!

OK, she won't tell me, but let's try and work it out.  Her three blogspot blogs are
http://collidinguniverses.blogspot.com/
http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/
http://mindfulhack.blogspot.com/

Then she also posts at
UD http://www.uncommondescent.com/
DoL http://www.thedesignoflife.net/
Overwhelming Silence http://www.overwhelmingevidence.com/oe/

what have I missed?  And which onse does she get paid for?

At least one other:

http://www.salvomag.com/

--------------
DS: "The explantory filter is as robust as the data that is used with it."
David Klinghoffer: ""I'm an IDiot"

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,16:44   

BS77 is back with his 12 things materialism didn't predict list!

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,18:22   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ May 22 2008,10:20)
Also, Denyse doesn't have groupies, like JAD and his VMartin. The very idea of someone wanting to follow DO'L around makes me dizzy.

I imagine there are pedants out there that get some S&M-like thrill from reading her, but that's not really the same thing is it?

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 943 944 945 946 947 [948] 949 950 951 952 953 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]