RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: Slime molds scream:, "save the children!"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2006,19:04   

http://www.physorg.com/news74747729.html

In times of plenty, the uni-cellular slime mold Dictyostelium discoideum leads a solitary life munching on bacteria littering the forest floor. But these simple creatures can perform heroic developmental acts: when the bacterial food supply dries up, Dictyostelium amebas band together with their neighbors and form a multi-cellular tower designed to save the children.

I'm sure the IDiots will try to have fun with this one, based on the summary selling statement used to place it on physorg i quote above.

However, the real interesting thing is this bit:

Unexpectedly, these deduced genetic blueprints for type III PKSs revealed each Dictyostelium type III PKS to be fused to other enzymatically active protein domains. This never seen before hybrid arrangement works like a very efficient bucket brigade that synthesizes polyketide molecules in slime mold cells.

slime molds.  A true case of the reality being far more bizarre than the fiction (like the slime molds in DnD).

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 15 2006,08:08   

You're overlooking the important question: how many different species of slimemolds were on the Ark?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 15 2006,08:09   

Ive not heard a great deal about Dictyostelium from the creationists considering it's the model organism for the study of the evolution of multicelularity.

snoeman

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 15 2006,17:42   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Aug. 15 2006,13:08)
You're overlooking the important question: how many different species of slimemolds were on the Ark?

Noah to god: You want me to collect what?

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 15 2006,18:15   

I had a slime mold for a pet for several years when I was a kid. My mom and I adjusted environmental conditions periodically. I learned a lot about slime molds back then. Ahhhhh.....

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 15 2006,19:05   

Noah to god: You want me to collect what?

The Big G: (sigh)....the uni-cellular slime mold Dictyostelium discoideum ......and be quick about it !

Noah: F@ck 'em .....they can swim.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,01:55   

I'm over 40, been a biologist for 20+ years, and you are the first person I've ever heard of who kept a slime mold as a pet.

that's pretty dam*n cool.

What kind of slime mold was it?  did you get it to sporophyte stage?

--------------

-CC

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,17:23   

My mom was a botanist way back in the 50's. We were hippies before there were hippies. I used to get a nickel a bug for new bugs I could catch to put in her collection. The catch: it had to be one she didn't have. I learned a lot about ecosystems from that one. (and bugs). Our summer road trips were to wilderness places to look for new birds. My mom kept a journal. I was little when Rachel Carlson wrote Silent Spring but I remember it as a major event. I was doomed from an early age. And having a history prof for a dad was a double whammy. I got it from both ends of the spectrum.

I kept the slime mold (Slimy Sam) in a glass terrerium. No kidding, it was the intended inhabitant. I'm sure a lot of Slimy probably escaped but he kept coming back, just when you'd think he wouldn't. We did a lot of varying temp. moisture, food sources (he liked maple leaves best, er, I think), light etc to get him to come and go. He would fruit when he got dry and bright light if I remember correctly, there was a lot of randomness (or perhaps lack of good laboratory controls). I'm not sure it is technically a sporophyte stage when you're talking slime mold but a sporangia fruiting body with haploid spores is what would happen.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2006,18:22   

I was doomed from an early age.

I could only wish i had parents like yours, but even mine managed to take my early interest in marine bio seriously enough to drag me to the beach on a regular basis, which of course eventually turned into night raids on the tidepools at low tide...

doomed.

yes, that's a pretty good one word description alrighty.

;)

I'd say the most interesting pet I ever had was a tidepool kelpfish that i had trained to swim into my hand and eat from my fingers.  Always freaked the visitors.

ever miss 'ol Sammy?

--------------

-CC

8 replies since Aug. 14 2006,19:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]