RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (63) < ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... >   
  Topic: Presidential Politics & Antievolution, Tracking the issue< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,14:59   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 16 2008,14:10)

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,19:24)

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 16 2008,12:33)

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,18:04)
*Yawn*

I know it's just me, but I think a brouhaha over whether R's or D's put out a snappier welcome wagon for white racists would have been a lot more fun. This is too high falutin' for my taste.

(Runs off to teach Astronomy, which is relatively safe.)

Translation from Heddlese:

"I was wrong but I lack the balls to admit it."

Such an intellectual you are!

Louis

Translation from Louis-ese (Louise?):

I declare victory!

Such an intellectual you are!

Gosh Louis you can be a tight ass. Lighten up.

Are you familiar with the quaint English phrase: "taking the piss"?

I was.

Anyway, I made and make no mention of victory. You might have noticed before I've made a few comments about "victory" of any kind not being the point. I'd expect you to have missed them though.

Louis

And I made no mention of anything like "I was wrong but lack the balls to admit it." I thought the whole point of the "translation" gimmick was to point out what we actually "said", even though we didn't say it.

But, what-ever floats your boat.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,16:41   

I've seen libertarians and Naderites claim that Gore would have invaded Iraq if he'd been elected, and that this therefore proves both the parties are the same.

Sorry, once you accept hypotheticals as 'proof', you're off in la la land.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

clamboy

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,22:51   

To bring this slightly back to topic, erasmus is kinda reminding me of Ray Martinez, T Pagano, and others of their ilk over at talk.origins. Asked for, challenged on, and finally called on the carpet for not providing an actual *point* (other than "Everything said by persons other than myself is wrong."), or *suggestion* (other than "Give up."), they simply repeat the same show-stopper. For Ray Martinez it's something like "mockery = inability to refute"; for erasmus, it's out of context Shakespeare. It really is pointless to use any aspect of reality to argue with ones so happily walled-in, as they are utterly sure that the bricks they gaze upon represent true enlightenment.

erasmus compares those arguing with erasmus here to creationists, while using card after card from the creationist deck.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 17 2008,09:32   

I think 50 years from now the intervention in Kosovo, done entirely without U.N. sanction, will have more consequences than the war in Iraq. We will see this as Russia continues to rebuild the Soviet empire.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 17 2008,10:17   

I'm not sure Kosovo had much to do with that - it's more the character of the Russian Prime Minister/Puppeteer.

I actually saw Putin once a few years ago, when I was cycling home from work.  He was being driven through Munkkiniemi on the was from A to B.  It's odd - he was just a small guy in a big car.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 17 2008,10:30   

Oh, I don't think Kosovo has anything to do with Russian ambitions, but it serves as an example of "protecting" people by separating them from a bullying soverign nation.

Lots of opportunities available.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 17 2008,10:40   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Sep. 17 2008,10:17)
I'm not sure Kosovo had much to do with that - it's more the character of the Russian Prime Minister/Puppeteer.

I actually saw Putin once a few years ago, when I was cycling home from work.  He was being driven through Munkkiniemi on the was from A to B.  It's odd - he was just a small guy in a big car.

Over-compensating perhaps?

Like Napoleon was too short?

George W Bush is too small and feeble?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 17 2008,18:57   

Uh Oh. Palin uses the dreaded Caps lock button. That's never a good sign:

Gawker has posted a few screen shots of the messages found in Palin's account; they reveal nothing damaging about Palin, other than that she has a penchant for typing in ALL CAPS when exercised. ("Does he want someone OPPOSED to the life issue in Congress?" Palin wrote to Lieutenant Gov. Sean Parnell.)

http://www.slate.com/id/2200359/

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 19 2008,13:42   

Given how many Ron Paul signs I *still* see out in rural California, this is pretty impressive.

Mmhmm. And McCain's a 'straight talking maverick'.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 19 2008,13:45   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 18 2008,00:57)
Uh Oh. Palin uses the dreaded Caps lock button. That's never a good sign:

Gawker has posted a few screen shots of the messages found in Palin's account; they reveal nothing damaging about Palin, other than that she has a penchant for typing in ALL CAPS when exercised. ("Does he want someone OPPOSED to the life issue in Congress?" Palin wrote to Lieutenant Gov. Sean Parnell.)

http://www.slate.com/id/2200359/

And WHAT might I ASK is wrong with the JUDICIOUS use of the CAPS LOCK button?

Obviously this means that I am more like Palin than I though, therefore I should vote for her 'cos she's just a good ol' girl etc.

USA USA USA!!!!!!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

drew91

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 19 2008,14:22   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 19 2008,13:45)

Obviously this means that I am more like Palin than I though, therefore I should vote for her 'cos she's just a good ol' girl etc.

I bet you've been buying red patent-leather shoes and glasses like crazy too. :p

Sales Soar For Shoes, Glasses Like Sarah Palin's

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 19 2008,14:28   

Quote (drew91 @ Sep. 19 2008,20:22)
Quote (Louis @ Sep. 19 2008,13:45)

I bet you've been buying red patent-leather shoes and glasses like crazy too. :p

Sales Soar For Shoes, Glasses Like Sarah Palin's

DAMN!!!! Busted!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 19 2008,17:44   

Our Heddle is getting testy chez Brayton:

mark duran (and others),

Also I have read that many christian fundamentalists believe that the sooner we detroy this planet the sooner Jesus will come back...God bless us everyone...

This is representative of a tiresome canard. While you can always find an isolated nut that holds any lunatic fringe position imaginable, fundamentalists do not, in general, have an attitude of "let's destroy the planet so that Jesus comes soon" or "who cares about pollution, Jesus will clean up the planet" or "I want to be VP so I can start a war with Russia to initiate the onset of the rapture."
It pisses me off to have to defend fundies and the Left Behinders, because I think their theology is wrong. So for crying out loud, think before you write something so mind numbingly implausible. Going through life assuming everyone who thinks differently from you must be an idiot is, well, idiotic.
Posted by: heddle | September 19, 2008 3:27 PM

Once again, I think Heddle is arguing that because *he* doesn't believe something, then of course almost no Christians believe it.

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 19 2008,18:09   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 19 2008,23:44)
Our Heddle is getting testy chez Brayton:

mark duran (and others),

Also I have read that many christian fundamentalists believe that the sooner we detroy this planet the sooner Jesus will come back...God bless us everyone...

This is representative of a tiresome canard. While you can always find an isolated nut that holds any lunatic fringe position imaginable, fundamentalists do not, in general, have an attitude of "let's destroy the planet so that Jesus comes soon" or "who cares about pollution, Jesus will clean up the planet" or "I want to be VP so I can start a war with Russia to initiate the onset of the rapture."
It pisses me off to have to defend fundies and the Left Behinders, because I think their theology is wrong. So for crying out loud, think before you write something so mind numbingly implausible. Going through life assuming everyone who thinks differently from you must be an idiot is, well, idiotic.
Posted by: heddle | September 19, 2008 3:27 PM

Once again, I think Heddle is arguing that because *he* doesn't believe something, then of course almost no Christians believe it.

But we all know that Heddle and god play racketball on Sundays. He is, after all, the calvinist version of Metatron.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 19 2008,19:08   

But we all know that Heddle and god play racketball on Sundays. He is, after all, the calvinist version of Metatron.

Louis[/quote]
I got news for heddle... god cheats.

Of course, since Heddle is a Calvinist, he's only getting what he deserves.

Ba-Dum- Ching!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 20 2008,04:44   

Quote (J-Dog @ Sep. 20 2008,01:08)

Louis[/quote]

Ba-Dum- Ching!

J-Dog, I have a question or two for you:

Are you here all week? Should I have the veal or the fish? My waitress, does she need tipping?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 20 2008,09:52   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 20 2008,04:44)

Quote (J-Dog @ Sep. 20 2008,01:08)

Louis

Ba-Dum- Ching!

J-Dog, I have a question or two for you:

Are you here all week? Should I have the veal or the fish? My waitress, does she need tipping?

Louis[/quote]

To answer your questions, I have evaluated all the evidence, and I believe that the answer you are looking for is:
1.) Yes
2.) tHE VEAL
3.) Yes.
However, I think that you should also keep in mind that the Pope is Catholic.

--------------

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 20 2008,13:17   

Quote (J-Dog @ Sep. 19 2008,19:08)

Ba-Dum- Ching!

No, no, no! That's 180 degrees off! The point of Calvinism is that some (the elect) get what they don't deserve.

Edit: typo. Too bad Biden doesn't have this feature.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 20 2008,16:54   

Somewhat topical, from Science:

WASHINGTON, D.C.--Next year's federal budget may not contain a penny more for research and education if Republican Senator John McCain (AZ) is elected U.S. president and has his way with Congress. An aide to the McCain campaign delivered that sober fiscal message today to science lobbyists, who pressed him unsuccessfully for leeway in the candidate's promise to curb federal spending by imposing a 1-year freeze on domestic discretionary spending.

"The purpose of the freeze is to evaluate each and every program, looking at which ones are worthwhile and which are a waste of taxpayer dollars," Ike Brannon, an economist and senior policy adviser to McCain, told the Task Force on the Future of American Innovation at a private gathering in Washington, D.C. The task force, a coalition of scientific and professional societies, had heard a more upbeat message in July from aides for Democratic Senator Barack Obama (IL), who has proposed doubling over 10 years the budgets of a host of U.S. science agencies.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 20 2008,17:58   

Being a strictly non-partisan kind of guy, I think it is likely that the mortgage bailout will drain every available dollar from the federal budget for several years, effectively rendering presidential policy moot.

We did this once before, in the 80s.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 20 2008,20:17   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 20 2008,11:17)
Quote (J-Dog @ Sep. 19 2008,19:08)

Ba-Dum- Ching!

No, no, no! That's 180 degrees off! The point of Calvinism is that some (the elect) get what they don't deserve.

Goddamn. Calvinism is weirder than I thought.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 20 2008,20:20   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Sep. 20 2008,14:54)
Somewhat topical, from Science:

WASHINGTON, D.C.--Next year's federal budget may not contain a penny more for research and education if Republican Senator John McCain (AZ) is elected U.S. president and has his way with Congress. An aide to the McCain campaign delivered that sober fiscal message today to science lobbyists, who pressed him unsuccessfully for leeway in the candidate's promise to curb federal spending by imposing a 1-year freeze on domestic discretionary spending.

"The purpose of the freeze is to evaluate each and every program, looking at which ones are worthwhile and which are a waste of taxpayer dollars," Ike Brannon, an economist and senior policy adviser to McCain, told the Task Force on the Future of American Innovation at a private gathering in Washington, D.C. The task force, a coalition of scientific and professional societies, had heard a more upbeat message in July from aides for Democratic Senator Barack Obama (IL), who has proposed doubling over 10 years the budgets of a host of U.S. science agencies.

But McCain's a resourceful guy. Somewhere behind some sofa cushions somewhere he'll find the money to spend another hundred years in Iraq and bomb Iran.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 20 2008,20:25   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 20 2008,21:17)
Goddamn. Calvinism is weirder than I thought.

Trust me. You're better off not knowing.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2008,23:16   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_A_Eck3cU

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2008,07:18   

Palin talks like O'Leary Writes...

Pundit On Palin

...and that's not so good.

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 25 2008,05:20   

Today's Sinfest:

Louis

ETA hyperlink

--------------
Bye.

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 25 2008,05:34   

I just have to share this cool Article from Cracked.com. It really suits the kind of discussion wich is being held here, and ofcourse how the subject itself actually is. I bet that most of you know this stuff already, but cracked.com always pens it down so good ;)

dogdidit

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 25 2008,07:28   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Sep. 20 2008,17:58)
Being a strictly non-partisan kind of guy, I think it is likely that the mortgage bailout will drain every available dollar from the federal budget for several years, effectively rendering presidential policy moot.

We did this once before, in the 80s.

Late 80s to early 90s. We deregulated the Savings and Loan business in the 80s, and half of them promptly went tango-uniform. The government was forced to step in with bailout $$ and the Resolution Trust Corporation to prevent a financial melt-down. President was a guy named 'Bush'. Any of this sound familiar?

The cost of the bailout forced Bush to raise taxes, thereby violating his campaign promise to do no such thing ("read my lips") and so angering the Republican base that their already lukewarm support of him dried up, allowing Clinton to deny him re-election in 1992.

Bush Sr.'s status as a "one-termer" status puts him on a par with Jimmy Carter and Herbert Hoover. The shame, the shame! Bush Jr's presidency is largely about redeeming the family honor. It's all about Daddy.

--------------
"Humans carry plants and animals all over the globe, thus introducing them to places they could never have reached on their own. That certainly increases biodiversity." - D'OL

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 25 2008,09:12   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Sep. 20 2008,15:58)
I think it is likely that the mortgage bailout will drain every available dollar from the federal budget for several years,

I thought that was already the case. The US has been living on China's credit for 7 years. It's just a matter of whether our deficit is a trillion dollars versus several trillion.

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 25 2008,09:36   

Late 80s to early 90s. We deregulated the Savings and Loan business in the 80s, and half of them promptly went tango-uniform. The government was forced to step in with bailout $$ and the Resolution Trust Corporation to prevent a financial melt-down. President was a guy named 'Bush'. Any of this sound familiar?

I was working in the mortgage industry and remember it somewhat differently. Mortgage interest rates went from 9 percent in 1978 to nearly 18 percent in 1982. All kinds of tricks were invented to enable people to buy houses. ARM loans, which quickly rose to market rate, and something called a Graduated Payment Mortgage, in which the first year's payment didn't even cover interest. People found themselves, after three years owing more than they had borrowed, and monthly payments twice what they had started at.

Foreclosures skyrocketed in the early to mid 1980s. At the time I was working on mortgage software, Bank of America had at least 150 people working on foreclosures. That's just people using the software I helped write.

The economy killer was interest rates. From 1984 to 1992, mortgage interest rates fell from 14 percent to about 8 percent.

http://www.freddiemac.com/pmms/pmms30.htm

--------------

1878 replies since Aug. 25 2008,04:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (63) < ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]