» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: Islamist Creationism in France< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2007,14:55   

Creationism growing issue in France
Islamist publisher sparks debate with illustrated Muslim creationist book

By Tom Heneghan
Updated: 1 hour, 41 minutes ago

With creationism now coming in Christian and Muslim versions, scientists, teachers and theologians in France are debating ways to counteract what they see as growing religious attacks on science.

Bible-based criticism of evolution, once limited to Protestant fundamentalists in the United States, has become an issue in France now that Pope Benedict and some leading Catholic theologians have criticized the neo-Darwinist view of creation.

article here

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2007,16:02   

I remember a Skeptics meeting I once attended where the speaker was taking jabs at American creationism and contrasting our hillbilly ways with the relative sophistication of other industrial countries. He proved his point by showing a slide that summarised a survey of Canadians on evolution acceptance. The poll said that close to half of all Canadians rejected Common Descent, which is pretty much the American percentage. What was funny is that nobody in the audience acknowledged the discrepancy between what was being said and what was shown, either during the presentation or after (as far as I could tell). I realised right then that the pro-science crowd was in for a nasty surprise down the road....

--------------
Dey can't 'andle my riddim.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2007,07:28   

Bible-based criticism of evolution, once limited to Protestant fundamentalists in the United States, has become an issue in France now that Pope Benedict and some leading Catholic theologians have criticized the neo-Darwinist view of creation.

"...has become an issue" is vastly overstating the case. ID/Creationism has not impinged at all on mainstream French media and virtually nobody I ask has ever shown any awareness or interest in the topic.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2007,18:11   

Indeed.  Other than in America and in American-funded groups overseas, ID/creationism is a non-issue.

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 30 2007,19:54   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Mar. 29 2007,16:11)

Indeed.  Other than in America and in American-funded groups overseas, ID/creationism is a non-issue.
But are we talking about the industrialized world?

I daresay that most of the Middle East does not teach evolution in schools and that most of what is rather condescendingly called the Third World teaches its creation myths unfettered.

Here's an excellent article that I read right before the Dover decision came down.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 30 2007,22:32   

Quote (Kristine @ Mar. 30 2007,18:54)

I daresay that most of the Middle East does not teach evolution in schools and that most of what is rather condescendingly called the Third World teaches its creation myths unfettered.

Here's an excellent article that I read right before the Dover decision came down.

As in the case of the Turkish BAV, I'd be willing to bet that nearly every creationist group anywhere on earth is at least partially funded by Americans.

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 31 2007,05:10   

Quote (Kristine @ Mar. 30 2007,13:54)

From the article:

But the universal themes of religion are not learned. They emerge as accidental by-products of our mental systems. They are part of human nature.

It is this seemingly inborn gullibility that is exploited by shamans, confidence tricksters, politicians. Maybe it is a heritable trait that, whilst beneficial as a driver for social cohesion at the dawn of civilisation, is now losing out against the "rational" allele, allowing more of us to be sceptics. (Apart from skeptic, of course :) )

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 31 2007,17:25   

Quote (Alan Fox @ Mar. 29 2007,06:28)

"...has become an issue" is vastly overstating the case. ID/Creationism has not impinged at all on mainstream French media and virtually nobody I ask has ever shown any awareness or interest in the topic.

Indeed, Intelligent Design is hardly discussed, even among evolutionary biologists in France. And when it is, we refer to what's happening in the US.
No one is going to support ID/creationism in the French media unless he/she wants to look like a complete idiot. Not that everybody here supports evolution, though...
I've even heard of a female paleontologist who twists her research data to fit her views about some sort of prescribed evolution. It's strange that JAD, who is well aware of any sciencist that wrote a single world against Darwin, never mentioned her.

7 replies since Mar. 26 2007,14:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]