RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 487 488 489 490 491 [492] 493 494 495 496 497 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,04:33   

Quote (Alan Fox @ April 30 2007,01:23)
Gary Hurd wrote:

It should be remembered by all here at least, that Panda's Thumb contributers Ed Brayton, and Timothy Sandefur are rabid opponents of environmental protection or any form of government regualtion of mining, logging etc...

But Ed Brayton at least does not seem to be a rabid global warming denier judging by his recent comments.

Hey Alan.
So you are the most ridiculous waste of space Darwin propogandist in the whole World and Wesley (the atheist) Elsberry puppet? Bloody ####, JAD is ranting about you.

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,07:57   

Quote (stevestory @ April 29 2007,22:03)
The problem with the term Postmodern is like the problem with all superlative names. If you call something New Technology, what do you call its replacement, years hence? I think an example I saw was Supercollider. What do you call its successor? Ultracollider? What about the Ultracollider's successor? You run out of superlatives pretty quickly.

Your comment reminded me of E. E. "Doc" Smith!

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,08:19   

Quote (Tracy P. Hamilton @ April 30 2007,07:57)
The problem with the term Postmodern is like the problem with all superlative names. If you call something New Technology, what do you call its replacement, years hence? I think an example I saw was Supercollider. What do you call its successor? Ultracollider? What about the Ultracollider's successor? You run out of superlatives pretty quickly.

The point being that Creationists are even less scientific!

slpage

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,09:18   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ April 30 2007,04:33)
Gary Hurd wrote:

It should be remembered by all here at least, that Panda's Thumb contributers Ed Brayton, and Timothy Sandefur are rabid opponents of environmental protection or any form of government regualtion of mining, logging etc...

But Ed Brayton at least does not seem to be a rabid global warming denier judging by his recent comments.

Hey Alan.
So you are the most ridiculous waste of space Darwin propogandist in the whole World and Wesley (the atheist) Elsberry puppet? Bloody ####, JAD is ranting about you.

JAD is still alive?

Huh...

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,09:55   

Gary Hurd wrote:

Maybe he agrees GW is real, just that it's horribly wicked for the government to do anything about it.

Guess that's the subtle difference between a Republican and a Libertarian.

JAD is still alive?

If you call that living...

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,11:21   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 29 2007,19:45)
Davetard, that ID Peer reviewed journal - "WND" and FTK.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/off-top....in-k-12

(Tard!)^Tard

Wow. FTK links to a load of tripe, and DaveScot pats her on the back, then links to her blog from UD. Perhaps it will bump up the traffic there. Or not. But this unholy conjunction of WhirledNutDaily, DaveScot, and FTK is surely a sign of the impending Apocalypse!

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,11:37   

JAD is ranting about you.

I guess you mean over at One blog a day. wÒÓ†and David Marjanovic both seem to have picked up a bad case of JAD addiction. I also note a certain Mr. Elliott having a poke at JAD too.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,11:46   

Despite my optimism about certain topics and people, tard addiction seems to be rife. We all like a specific flavour of tard, some like AFDave, some like DT, some like FTK, but that minor difference of style aside be afraid be very afraid. It's a serious illness people!

Tard: Just Say No!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,11:49   

Maybe he agrees GW is real, just that it's horribly wicked for the government to do anything about it.

I haven't read much of Ed Brayton's blog, but the thread I linked to suggests Ed is taking the "Pascal's wager" approach. Sorry, but the Republican/Libertarian thing is lost on me. (Another example of two nations divided by a common language?)

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,12:12   

Quote (Alan Fox @ April 30 2007,11:37)
JAD is ranting about you.

I guess you mean over at One blog a day. wÒÓ†and David Marjanovic both seem to have picked up a bad case of JAD addiction. I also note a certain Mr. Elliott having a poke at JAD too.

Yes yes, fair cop. You have me banged to rites. I just couldn't help myself. It has been quite a while.

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,12:26   

Quote (Alan Fox @ April 30 2007,11:49)

I haven't read much of Ed Brayton's blog, but the thread I linked to suggests Ed is taking the "Pascal's wager" approach. Sorry, but the Republican/Libertarian thing is lost on me. (Another example of two nations divided by a common language?)

Simple explanation:
A republican wants the gvt to take you rmoney and spend it on arms and corporate featherbedding.
A Libertarian doesn't want a gvt, taxes, or anything like that that can interfere with you spending your money how you like.

These definitions are not entirely hard and fast.  There is a lunatic out there who claims to be a Christian Libertarian.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,12:47   

Quote (guthrie @ April 30 2007,12:26)

Quote (Alan Fox @ April 30 2007,11:49)

Simple explanation:
A republican wants the gvt to take you rmoney and spend it on arms and corporate featherbedding.
A Libertarian doesn't want a gvt, taxes, or anything like that that can interfere with you spending your money how you like.

These definitions are not entirely hard and fast.  There is a lunatic out there who claims to be a Christian Libertarian.

The term 'libertarian' seems to mean less and less all the time. The last several years I've seen plenty of people who were just garden variety wingnuts (usually young males) call themselves 'libertarians', I think because it sounds hipper than calling yourself 'conservatives'. But the bottom line is when libertarians vote they generally vote Republican, since that "I want someone to abolish my taxes" point takes precedence over all the rest of their lofty rhetoric. So they'll overlook everything else if they think they're getting that.

My standard libertarian joke: a libertarian is (a) a Republican who doesn't believe in god, (b) a Republican who smokes pot.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,13:01   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ April 26 2007,22:54)
Quote (J-Dog @ April 26 2007,21:27)
Speaking of losing ugly fat... I will be in Michigan for the next couple of days, and away from internet access, so have fun ID and creo bashing without me, and I'll catch up when I return.

ciao

Cool. We'll all talk about you while you're gone and delete all the messages 5 minutes before you come back.  ;)

Hey I'm back, and I can't wait to catch up on all the posts I missed, including the one where Richard gets DaveScot to admit that hs is, indeed a homo, Kristine gets Dembski to admit he has been doing ID only for the money and will immediatley cease and desist spreading ID lies, and Louis agrees to father a baby for FTK, and FTK agrees to bring up "Baby Charles" as a firm adherant of evolution and science.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,13:27   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ April 30 2007,12:47)
My standard libertarian joke: a libertarian is (a) a Republican who doesn't believe in god, (b) a Republican who smokes pot.

The joke I've heard is that libertarians are pro-choice on every issue.  Which has an element of truth since they tend to follow the low economic control of the Republicans with the low social control of the Democrats.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,13:41   

ANOTHER DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER

Mr. Skippy Says Goodbye at OE (Overwhelming Evidence) - Be sure to have kleenex close at hand if you dare to click on the sad, sad, goodbye of an OE poster.

ps:  Note To self - Cancel plans to institute a seperate OE discussion thread here.  It will soon go extinct, and leave no trace of it's existance.

http://www.overwhelmingevidence.com/oe/blog/mrskippy/good_bye

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,15:06   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 29 2007,19:45)
Davetard, that ID Peer reviewed journal - "WND" and FTK.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/off-top....in-k-12

(Tard!;)^Tard

Words “Intelligent” and “Design” Can’t Be Used Together in K-12

Well, apparently, in some schools, you can't use the words "that's" and "gay" simultaneously.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article....ol.html

I'd really be suspended if I were in school.

"Intelligent Design? That's gay."

The "mom" and "dad" thing can't be true, can it?
The whole WND article sounds like something I'd read at WND, but is there any truth to it? Sounds totally ridiculous.

[quote=Dr.GH,April 29 2007,22:11]    
Quote (Ichthyic @ April 29 2007,20:02)

They call it "Libretarianism" and they are strong supporters of the The Cato Institute which is the source of George II's environmental attacks.  The Cato Institute is also a major opponent of all forms of public education.  Sandefur is a fellow of the Pacific Legal Foundation, which is best known for attempting to overturn protections granted under the EPA and particularly the Endangered Species Act to all species threatened by forest clear-cutting in the Pacific Northwest.  The Pacific Legal Foundation was also very proud of their recent successful efforts to segregate schools in southern California.  Sandefur's personal specialty, IIRC, is to eliminate worker protection laws.

This is a major reason I dropped out of PT- any operation supporting science education should never tolerate people opposed to science and education.

My approach to the conflict of environmentalism and libertarianism is to say that under libertarianism, the sole purpose of government is to protect your rights. If someone pollutes the air or wipes out an entire forest or blows up a mountain to get at coal then ruins a forest and all its streams, then they are violating your rights. The coal companies or the logging companies do not have rights. The individuals that own them do, but there is no inherent right (god given right) to blow up a mountain or pollute the air, even if you "own" the land upon which you are polluting. That's not a right.

This goes for the EPA and the FDA, etc. Those agencies are in place to protect your rights.

That's the argument I start with.

I'm all for small government libertarianism. But some people go way too far with it. What they are really in favor of is anarchism, or some form of it.

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ April 30 2007,09:55)

Actually, at least nowadays, there is a HUGE difference.

Both corporate parties are all about big government these days. There are some members in each of the parties that are against it but they are marginalized.  (the old joke: Democrats are big government in your wallet and Republicans are big government in your bedroom.)

Also, like a said above and as you also pointed out, all sorts of people call themselves libertarian and they are not. example:Bill Maher. ???

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,15:39   

Quote (J-Dog @ April 30 2007,14:41)
ANOTHER DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER

Mr. Skippy Says Goodbye at OE (Overwhelming Evidence) - Be sure to have kleenex close at hand if you dare to click on the sad, sad, goodbye of an OE poster.

ps:  Note To self - Cancel plans to institute a seperate OE discussion thread here.  It will soon go extinct, and leave no trace of it's existance.

http://www.overwhelmingevidence.com/oe/blog/mrskippy/good_bye

Does the person who played Mr. Skippy care to reveal himself?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,15:56   

Quote (Louis @ April 30 2007,12:46)
Tard: Just Say No!

Louis

You...you're right. I don't know what came over me.

My name's Steve, and I'm a tardaholic.

*Hi Steve!*

With ya'll's help, I'm going to be clean and...

clean and...

just...just... one last click

*click*

29 April 2007
Words “Intelligent” and “Design” Can’t Be Used Together in K-12
DaveScot

The words intelligent and design are banned when used together in public schools.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

That's good tard.

I can stop whenever I want to.

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,16:00   

The global warming on Mars thing is ridiculous.

DaveScot wants you to think that since there is global warming on Mars right now, that global warming on Earth has nothing to do with man-made carbon dioxide. It all has to do with the sun. Well, duh. Of course the warming is due to the sun, but you know what I mean.

But then he pastes the article that says it has to do with wind and dark surfaces, a mechanism that has no analog on Earth, and is cyclical. Eventually winds pick up so much that there is a global dust storm. This happened in the early 70s (IIRC).

This has nothing to do with what's going on here. On Earth it's much much more complicated due to water and life.

It's also warming on Triton, but that's because Neptune is heading toward it's perihelion (closest point to the sun) so. It's also warming on Pluto for the same reason.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog....induced

(I don't like the use of the term "summer" to explain global warming on Triton since "summer" isn't a global phenomenon.)

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,16:08   

Quote (Tracy P. Hamilton @ April 30 2007,08:57)

The argument is not mine at all, I heard it elsewhere, with the example of the Supercollider.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,16:27   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 30 2007,02:04)
Borne:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/off-top....-119194

Borne

04/30/2007

12:54 am
Gender neutral everything huh?

This proves that if you teach people that they are mere animals they will end up acting worse than animals.

Nature is not gender neutral. Never will be.

The inane drones that produce this kind of “legislation” ought to be put out to pasture on some maximum security “funny farm”.

Personally I’m so sick & tired of “gays” and their disgusting agenda for the rest of us.

They cannot reproduce themselves, thus they do what they can to “convert” you, your wife and your kids to their image, in their likeness.

Like the men of Sodom, they wish you to become a partner (and target) in perversion. Golden showers, fisting, excrement galore… utterly disgusting.

This legislative effort is nothing less than mass indoctrination & proselytism. Another major effort to confuse and abuse you. They are planning the same interventions in Canada as well.

If we all were to go gay tomorrow the human race would be extinct in less than a century.

Calling homosexuals “gay” (happy, joyful) is like calling a defective old Lada a luxury automobile. They are the most unhappy people on Earth.

Next on the agenda? Legalized bestiality, incest and pedophilia. Just a question of time - like the “boiled frog” syndrome - they bring it on slowly, little by little without our immediate awareness til we are all nicely boiled and ready for spoil.

Time for a national spiritual awakening or goodbye USA and Canada. Time to get rid of Darwinism, post-modern clap-trap and their ravaging consequences on human life and morals.

10/tard for this one, bonus points for the knuckle-dragger putting scare quotes around 'gays'.

They cannot reproduce themselves, thus they do what they can to “convert” you, your wife and your kids to their image, in their likeness.

This guy doesn't know any actual gay people.

If we all were to go gay tomorrow the human race would be extinct in less than a century.

If Ifs and butts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas. Seriously, does anyone with two brain cells to rub together worry about this possibility?

Next on the agenda? Legalized bestiality, incest and pedophilia. Just a question of time

This strikes me as a powerful argument. Or it would, if I were completely insane. Legalized pedophilia? NAMBLA has less political power than the Nigerian branch of the Ku Klux Klan.

Time to get rid of Darwinism, post-modern clap-trap and their ravaging consequences on human life and morals.

Extra bonus points to this dumbass, for not knowing that by Philip Johnson's own admission, ID is a postmodern project.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,17:01   

IF ONLY YOU NEW HOW THEY TRAP KIDS, STEVE SORRY.

PS - HOMO.

:angry:

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,17:02   

Quote (stevestory @ April 30 2007,22:56)
I can stop whenever I want to.

Yeah. So can I.

Honest.

No. Really. This time I'm going cold tard. I'm going to only read proper things from intelligent people who have a serious point to make and are genuine and honest.

I'm going to stop taking "relaxation breaks" whilst typing up long review documents and scientific data.

I'm never going to play in the troll pen again.

Oooh...I see GoP just made a post....erm.....I'll be right back.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,17:19   

I've always loved this one. The good old "If'n we all went to teh gay, they're be no childerkins to continue us" argument.

Listen up dumbasses, rednecks, homophobes and shiteheads of the world:

NO ONE IS SAYING IT WILL BE COMPULSORY

Furthermore, if being gay is just simply recognised as one of those lovely variations we humans have and that whatever two (or more) consenting adults get up to with their tongues, fingers, genitals, thighs, armpits, earlobes and assorted equipment is really none of anyone else's concern, the world will be a happier place.

Amazingly if "Teh Gay" is 110% fully "normaliserated" (official terminology of the Bush administration) tomorrow at 8am EST, then guess what. My heterosexual marriage and yours, in fact all heterosexual behaviour anywhere on the planet will not be affected at all. We'll still keep frottering each other in that ol' time heterosexual way. Thanks very much.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,17:36   

I wonder if he could show us an example of a gay person that wants to convert people because I've never met one.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,17:50   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 30 2007,01:04)
Borne:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/off-top....-119194[/quote]

Holy murder!

I rarely ever click on the links to UD, or OE you folks provide.  I am merely greatful that you take the work that I would rather avoid.  

But, in the example of Borne's hate rant I felt I should share the mind pollution as if it would somehow be deluted.

We must stop these pigs.  (My appologies to all non-human pigs).

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,17:53   

Quote (Dr.GH @ April 29 2007,22:11)

In general, I think that Libertarians tend to be . . . well . . . nuts.  When they start going on about charging people to use the sidewalk (free market, and all that), my eyes glaze over.

Having said that . . . .

I view political fights (like fighting creationism) much as I used to view union strikes.  Here's the line (literally, most times).  Someone is either on this side of it, or on that side of it.  Anyone on this side of it, is my friend, and I'll work with him/her all I can to win this thing.  Anyone on THAT side of it, is my enemy.  And I am utterly and completely ruthless to my enemies.

On the creationism issue, Ed and Timothy are on this side of the line.  That makes them allies, and I treat them as allies.

If I ever find myself on the other side of a picket line from either of them, though, then all bets are off.  I'll do whatever I can to rip their heads off and pee down the hole.

That view, by the way, is the source of my antipathy towards the evangelical atheists who want to pick fights with the theistic evolutionists -- they want to draw a different line than I do.  They want this to be an "atheism vs theism" fight, instead of a "creationist vs noncreationist" one.  I have little to no interest in their fight, and I only pay attention to it when it starts interfering with mine.

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,17:58   

Quote (stevestory @ April 30 2007,16:27)

I bet he does.

I bet he sits in the same church they do.

And I bet he's just too stupid to tell.

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,18:04   

Quote (Dr.GH @ April 30 2007,17:50)

Holy murder!

I rarely ever click on the links to UD, or OE you folks provide.  I am merely greatful that you take the work that I would rather avoid.  

But, in the example of Borne's hate rant I felt I should share the mind pollution as if it would somehow be deluted.

We must stop these pigs.  (My appologies to all non-human pigs).

Yeah, it is good to start with small doses. A thread with WND, DaveScot AND FtK is simply too much for the rational mind to bear.

I particularly liked this paragraph from the comment by someone named "bork"; perhaps he/she is the sorry offspring of an unholy union between FtK and JAD.

I don’t know if there is anything beyond what I see, but too simply dismiss it is preposterous. The idea that the universe is wholly rational cannot be supported by a materialist, nor does the apparent guiding force in evolution seem to dictate a paradigm of survival of the fittest. It seems to give credance that fittest is already defined. The more I think of convergant evolution, the more it seems like it actually supports a designer point of view.

They really need a spell-check program for the commenters at UD. Serious tard demands serious tools.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,18:09   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ April 30 2007,18:58)
Quote (stevestory @ April 30 2007,16:27)

I bet he does.

I bet he sits in the same church they do.

And I bet he's just too stupid to tell.

Well, yeah, you know what I mean.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 487 488 489 490 491 [492] 493 494 495 496 497 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]