RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (43) < ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... >   
  Topic: Libations and Comestibles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 19 2008,14:59   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 19 2008,15:16)
That's basically just a pretty ordinary Mexican hot sauce that's for putting on chips, eggs, or soup. But I bet that's probably the best that's available in BFNW North Florida, right?

It's pretty ordinary. You can actually find lots of good stuff here, I was just making mexican last week and Valentina's is good for that. I'll get some cayenne and such today.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2008,18:00   

Are there any tater chippies better than Cape Cod?

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2008,01:10   

For those who haven't heard of it, or have but haven't tried it, let me recommend the beer butt chicken.

Take your favorite brand of beer, in a can, and punch several holes in the top of the can with a church key. Pour off about half the can and stuff the can up the rear of the chicken. Use the legs to form a tripod to hold the chicken upright and place in a shallow pan. Plug the neck with whatever is handy, an onion, chunk of apple or something similar. Bake, grill or as I do, smoke the bird at º350 for an hour and a half or till the juice runs clear and prepare to enjoy the best bird you ever ate.

There are devices to hold the can upright making spills less likely, I have one that holds 2 cans/birds and 8 ears of corn for when company comes but I also have a device made by Weber that eliminates the need for a can altogether.

I use cherry wood and a dry rub for extry flavor.

Look at the juice on that cutting board.

Scrumptious!

Crabby

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2008,01:37   

Another summer favorite around here is Parmesan Stuffed Peppers.

Take a block of cream cheese and let in soften at room temperature. Add grated Parmesan cheese and stir it in till the mixture is loaded with Parmesan, I do it by feel and taste.

I use Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers for stuffing but anything milder or hotter of a similar size will do. Cut the end off and make a slit down the side and remove ribs and seeds. If I'm making them for me and Missus Crabby, the ribs/seeds get chopped and mixed in to the cheese for extra flavor.

Stuff the peppers with the cheese mixture and squeeze to close.

Ready for beer batter.

The beer batter is simple, take 3/4 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of corn starch, 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder (not soda) and salt to taste, (I use a short teaspoon). Sift the ingredients into a bowl. Add a tablespoon of olive or peanut oil. Add 3/4 cup of good beer just before you are ready to start cooking and whip till it's smooth. You can add a bit of water to make it a bit thinner if you prefer.

Heat some good quality peanut oil to º375, dip the peppers in the batter and fry a few at a time till golden brown and cheese starts to come out of the peppers. Drain well and enjoy.

Crabby

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 07 2008,15:44   

Advice needed.

I have tried, several times now, to cook bratwurst in beer and use the reduced beer to make a gravy. I have tried this with Shiner Bock and Guiness.  In both cases, the resulting gravy has a bitter edge to it that spoils the dish.

I need suggestions for a style of beer that has alot of flavor, but doesn't have that bitter finish to it. What say you?

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 07 2008,16:07   

Advice needed.

I have tried, several times now, to cook bratwurst in beer and use the reduced beer to make a gravy. I have tried this with Shiner Bock and Guiness.  In both cases, the resulting gravy has a bitter edge to it that spoils the dish.

I need suggestions for a style of beer that has alot of flavor, but doesn't have that bitter finish to it. What say you?

Actually, we're going to have a little Oktoberfestivities on the homestead and so I was looking around for just such a thing. I found this online. It sounded good, so I will make.

1 large jar of Sauerkraut - drained
1 large sweet onion - chopped
8 slices bacon
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 bratwursts, sliced thick
1 dark beer
Preparation:
In large skillet, cook bacon til crispy. Remove, drain, and crumble. Add chopped onion to bacon grease, and saute on low/medium heat until soft. Add drained sauerkraut. Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top, then stir in with brown sugar, and beer. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Add sliced sausage on top. Cover and simmer on low about 20 minutes until the brats are cooked. Serve and enjoy!

No linky, sorry, 'cause I didn't know I was going to be sharing. Totally forget where I found it. However, in answer to your question, carlsonjok, I think a bock beer will do well here. Sweeter than a stout, but robust of flavor.

ETA: Doh! you say you used Shiner, so maybe not, I don't know. As I recall, though, Shiner is a little more bitter than most bocks I have tried. Maybe it wants a doppelbock or just a more traditional German bock?

--------------
The is the beauty of being me- anything that any man does I can understand.
--Joe G

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 07 2008,16:41   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Oct. 07 2008,14:07)
Advice needed.

Actually, we're going to have a little Oktoberfestivities on the homestead and so I was looking around for just such a thing. I found this online. It sounded good, so I will make.

1 large jar of Sauerkraut - drained
1 large sweet onion - chopped
8 slices bacon
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 bratwursts, sliced thick
1 dark beer
Preparation:
In large skillet, cook bacon til crispy. Remove, drain, and crumble. Add chopped onion to bacon grease, and saute on low/medium heat until soft. Add drained sauerkraut. Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top, then stir in with brown sugar, and beer. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Add sliced sausage on top. Cover and simmer on low about 20 minutes until the brats are cooked. Serve and enjoy!

No linky, sorry, 'cause I didn't know I was going to be sharing. Totally forget where I found it. However, in answer to your question, carlsonjok, I think a bock beer will do well here. Sweeter than a stout, but robust of flavor.

ETA: Doh! you say you used Shiner, so maybe not, I don't know. As I recall, though, Shiner is a little more bitter than most bocks I have tried. Maybe it wants a doppelbock or just a more traditional German bock?

You do need to add a bit of sugar to tame the bitterness, but I wouldn't toss in 1/4 cup all at once, unless it's sausage and sauerkraut jam you're after.  A couple of tablespoons at a time, and taste.  Keep a few bottles back for tasting also.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 07 2008,16:42   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Oct. 07 2008,15:44)
Advice needed.

Bottled Guinness is definitely too hoppy (and astringent from roasted grains).  Shiner Bock surprises me, but then it is not really a bock either.  Googlage shows 13 IBU for Shiner Bock.  BJCP guidelines for dark american lager say 8-20 IBU.

You need a beer with very low hops.  Maybe a hefewiezen.  Maybe a dunkelwiezen for more flavor.  In the BJCP guidelines the range is 8-15.

Or maybe you just need more malt, try a doppelbock like Paulaner Salvator.

Lambics also don't use much hops, and frequently have fruit in them - cherry reduction from a Kriek might be good.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 07 2008,16:56   

You do need to add a bit of sugar to tame the bitterness, but I wouldn't toss in 1/4 cup all at once

Yeah, I thought that seemed a little heavy on the sugar. Thanks for the tip.

--------------
--Joe G

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 07 2008,17:00   

Thanks, everyone!  I have actually made a beef stew with a doppelbock (Wagner Valley Sled Dog Doppelbock, if you must know). I can't get that here, but I can get Belgian doppelbocks and trippelbocks here, so I will try one of them next time.  

I also never even thought to add some sugar to the gravy.

EDIT: I am not much of a fan of dunkelweizen as a straight drink, but it might work in a recipe.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 07 2008,23:16   

asparagus coated in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and broiled for 2-3 mins.

nummy nummy.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,14:06   

Going to a Halloween party on Saturday night, I'm planning on making pumpkin mochi. Anyone ever make mochi before?

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,14:31   

asparagus coated in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and broiled for 2-3 mins.

Works well on the grill, too.

--------------
--Joe G

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2008,23:31   

So gradually over the past year I've been doing grilled cheese experiments. the bread's pretty standard white bread. The coating on the outside has been variable (Promise, Smart Balance, olive oil, or whipped butter) and hasn't made too much diff. But the cheese...I'm now thinking the lowbrow approach might be better. So far I've used, for cheese, slices of provolone, swiss, mozarella, or muenster. And the results have all been unsatisfactory. I'm starting to think the lowbrow approach, aka those fake cheese slices like Kraft singles, which are I think mostly vegetable oil, would work better. The real cheese melts but is too stiff. The fake cheese gets gooier and I'm thinking that might actually be better.

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 22 2008,01:43   

Oktoberfest accomplished. The beer brats were excellent. I used the Spaten Optimator doppelbock in the recipe I copied above (but with a mere heavy tablespoon of dark brown sugar, not the 1/4 cup called for [as John sagely counseled]. A less malty and sweet beer might call for somewhat more sugar.)

Also grilled locally made chicken sausages and guests brought this yummy German noodle concoction. All with salad, and baked apple goodness with ice cream for dessert. The odd beer was quaffed here and there.

--------------
--Joe G

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 24 2008,21:52   

I was making curry chicken tonight and it was going fine until i absolutely ruined it in the end. First I sauteed some diced chicken breast, onion, and garlic. Then I added about 2 tsp curry powder, a little cumin, salt, cayenne powder, and pepper. and 2 cups water, and was reducing that. Then I decide it's too watery and I mix about 1/3rd cup corn starch with 1/2 cup water and stir that in. Total, instant, disaster. The whole thing turned to this kind of watery jelly. Just a really gross consistency and nothing i could do. Better luck next time.

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,18:55   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 21 2008,23:31)
So gradually over the past year I've been doing grilled cheese experiments. the bread's pretty standard white bread. The coating on the outside has been variable (Promise, Smart Balance, olive oil, or whipped butter) and hasn't made too much diff. But the cheese...I'm now thinking the lowbrow approach might be better. So far I've used, for cheese, slices of provolone, swiss, mozarella, or muenster. And the results have all been unsatisfactory. I'm starting to think the lowbrow approach, aka those fake cheese slices like Kraft singles, which are I think mostly vegetable oil, would work better. The real cheese melts but is too stiff. The fake cheese gets gooier and I'm thinking that might actually be better.

Steve, try grating your high quality cheese and using cream cheese or softened queso fresca as a binder. A little binder goes a long way. Monterey Jack might work well as a binder too, I love toasted Pepper Jack sammiches.

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,19:01   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Oct. 22 2008,01:43)
baked apple goodness with ice cream for dessert.

Works well on the grill, too.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,19:06   

Quote (Crabby Appleton @ Oct. 27 2008,19:55)
Steve, try grating your high quality cheese and using cream cheese or softened queso fresca as a binder. A little binder goes a long way. Monterey Jack might work well as a binder too, I love toasted Pepper Jack sammiches.

thanks for the tips!

Bing

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,19:18   

Oh geez, I completely forgot about this thread.

So back at the beginning of the month we threw a little birthday party for Alexander Keith.  He was 213 on October 5th.

Got a keg of Keith's, had a few bottles of whisky and all was good.  On the nosh side we served Jigg's dinner (corned beef & cabbage), some salmon, Steak and Guinness pie, neeps & tatties, mushie peas.

Celtic music and more whisky for afters.  Unfortunately some miscreants decided that The Macallan Fine Oak 15 yo ($125/bottle), Lagavulin 16 yo ($115/bottle ) and my Highland Park 30 yo ($399) would make excellent shooters.  Sadly all are now but a memory.

Here are some pictures.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,19:21   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 24 2008,19:52)
I was making curry chicken tonight and it was going fine until i absolutely ruined it in the end. First I sauteed some diced chicken breast, onion, and garlic. Then I added about 2 tsp curry powder, a little cumin, salt, cayenne powder, and pepper. and 2 cups water, and was reducing that. Then I decide it's too watery

Just cook it half an hour with the lid off. Fixes that right up.

Also, in my experience, with curries dark meat like chicken thighs works better, tho I guess that's pretty subjective.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,19:32   

With cooler weather coming in, I made a pot of Split Pea Soup this weekend.

1 lb. of split peas, 3/4 lb. ham diced, 8 large carrots sliced, 4 stalks celery sliced, 1 large onion diced, 6 minced cloves of garlic, 7 cups of water and the secret ingredient, the drippings from a smoked beer butt chicken. Salty from the dry rub and  with an intense smoky flavor, this ingredient turns the pedestrian into the sublime.

Low boil all the ingredients for 30 mins, stirring several times, then reduce the heat for another 10 mins to thicken.

Stick to your ribs goodness.

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,19:51   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Oct. 27 2008,19:21)
I was making curry chicken tonight and it was going fine until i absolutely ruined it in the end. First I sauteed some diced chicken breast, onion, and garlic. Then I added about 2 tsp curry powder, a little cumin, salt, cayenne powder, and pepper. and 2 cups water, and was reducing that. Then I decide it's too watery

Also, in my experience, with curries dark meat like chicken thighs works better, tho I guess that's pretty subjective.

I agree with the bold part, but remove the meat while you're doing it so it isn't overcooked.

I'm a big fan of dark meat too which is why I cook a lot of duck.

The big treat with cooking duck is the rendered fat.

Cottage Fried Potatoes cooked in duck fat ROCKS! Scrambled eggs with tomato, mild pepper, garlic, chives and diced smoked pork chops, ooh I could go on.

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,20:09   

Quote (Crabby Appleton @ Oct. 27 2008,20:51)

I agree with the bold part, but remove the meat while you're doing it so it isn't overcooked.

Cottage Fried Potatoes cooked in <b>duck fat</b> ROCKS! Scrambled eggs with tomato, mild pepper, garlic, chives and diced smoked pork chops, ooh I could go on.

Goose fat is also great, especially for potatoes.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,20:17   

Quote (khan @ Oct. 27 2008,18:09)

Cottage Fried Potatoes cooked in <b>duck fat</b> ROCKS! Scrambled eggs with tomato, mild pepper, garlic, chives and diced smoked pork chops, ooh I could go on.

Potatoes with goose fat with sounds like something peasants would eat in Slovenia in the 1890s.  :O  

(Oh, speaking of scary eastern European peasant cuisine...)

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,20:50   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Oct. 22 2008,01:43)
this yummy German noodle concoction.

Spätzle?

Mrs. Crabby used to make these but hasn't in a long time.

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,21:00   

Quote (khan @ Oct. 27 2008,20:09)

Cottage Fried Potatoes cooked in duck fat ROCKS! Scrambled eggs with tomato, mild pepper, garlic, chives and diced smoked pork chops, ooh I could go on.

Finishing off the Cottage Fries Mrs. Crabby made yesterday!

I can't get goose fat unless I hunt/shoot the bird myself.

Maple Leaf Farms produce a delectable duck raised by Amish farmers that I can buy in the local market.

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,21:18   

If you live close enough to Kansas City to get Boulevard Brewing beers (Missouri's second largest brewer) give Bob's 47 a try.

It's their fall seasonal beer, a Munich style lager. Not as good as their springtime Irish Ale, but still a very good brew.

Tony M Nyphot

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,21:26   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 21 2008,22:31)

I like to think I make some of the best cheese sammiches around and the gf (mine, not yours) agrees. I'm not sure what your gf would think, but Arden's mum and Louis' better-3/4 both like them.

I use a medium or extra sharp cheddar (usually Tillamook) cut in very thin slices and normally mix in some finely shredded asiago, parmesan and mozzarella. ( I have to try Crabbie's cream cheese binder next time.)

I have a small sandwich-size, enamel covered cast-iron frying pan pre-heated at a medium-high temp, throw a pat of butter in to melt, swish it around and swipe it clean with a slice of the bread, then repeat for the other slice. Place the whole sandwich in, cover with a lid and fry for 3 minutes per side. Crispy bread and perfectly melted cheese every time.

Sometimes I'll even use pumpernickel with swiss, muenster and some black forest smoked ham and a bit of stone-ground mustard.

Since sourdough is a hobby of mine, I believe superior bread makes a huge difference. Here's a semolina sourdough with non-segregated sesame seeds on top:

--------------
"I, OTOH, am an underachiever...I either pee my pants or faint dead away..." FTK

"You could always wrap fresh fish in the paper you publish it on, though, and sell that." - Field Man on how to find value in Gary Gaulin's real-science "theory"

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 27 2008,21:28   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Oct. 27 2008,20:21)

Yeah, i know that now. Not going with the corn starch again. Last night I made it, and did everything same as before, except added a can of diced tomatoes. I really liked the result. I've seen other recipes that involve stirring in yogurt at the end. Anyone got any comment on that?

1287 replies since June 07 2007,18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (43) < ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]