RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (23) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   
  Topic: AF Dave Has More Questions About Apes, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,16:46   

I can't see him making it through the AF academy.

Because you only know him as loony creationist AFDave. Like I've said before, intelligence is compartmentalized. A person can have a fully functioning brain, be intelligent in some areas, and crazy in others. Intelligence can be very inhomogeneous. Jonathan Wells can have a PhD from a good school on one hand, and be a Moonie on the other.

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,17:09   

and like i said before, there's more at work here than a mere difference in intelligence.

you simply CANNOT attribute Dave's reactions to the evidence presented to him as simple ignorance.

as to where he claimed to be a pilot, i had to look in another post, but he did say he WAS an air force pilot, so unbelievable as it is to me, I guess I'll just have to take his word for it:

Who said anything about me being neutral?  I'm an active Creationist and very involved politically.  I am also an Electrical Engineer, former AF jet pilot, very successful business man, and a large contributor to various causes ... maybe yours if you're nice to me and convince me why I should.  But I try to be polite and I honestly like to hear evolutionists state, in their own words, why they believe in macro-evolution.

remember that thread?

that was April 18th

exactly one month ago.

literally HUNDREDS of posts later, and Davey seems to be getting WORSE instead of better.

sorry, that ain't got nutin' to do wit smarts.

Here's the difference:

for example, even tho I suspected he was not an actual air force pilot, if he had provided evidence that he was (a picture isn't sufficient evidence, actually), I would have accepted that and moved on.   I seem to be the only doubter, which also points out the fact that most here seem ready and willing to accept Dave's claim he IS an air force pilot.  based on what, exactly?  a picture of him in a flight suit?  Is GW a Navy man because he has a picture of him in a flightsuit on an aircraft carrier?

On the plus side, it shows that most here are more than willing to accept arguments with even the slightest shred of evidence to support them.

Unfortunately for Dave, the picture of him in a flightsuit is about the only evidence he has presented, of ANYTHING.

we have presented far more convincing evidence to Dave about ToE, and his intractability has only grown.

so is it about intelligence?

nope.

edit:

Jonathan Wells can have a PhD from a good school on one hand, and be a Moonie on the other.

so does JAD.

insanity can strike anybody.  not a matter of intelligence, per sae, but when a broken mental function is pointed out over and over and over again, one does have to wonder if the damage has affected intelligence overall.

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,17:16   

Quote (afdave @ May 18 2006,16:29)
letting your personal and petty anger through

I was? Hello??  McFly?  

Toejam-- Could you use some of that straight talkin' of yours and tell Mrs. Rilke what planet we're on ...

Well, Dave, whatever planet you're currently occupying seems to be related to Colney Hatch.  And I'm sorry that you find us so disturbing to you that you resort to lies, obfuscation, deliberate misinterpretation, and general stupidity.

But then, you're a creationist.  We would expect that!  :p

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,17:38   

hey, I have an idea.  You think Dave has redeeming qualities, and an ability to exhibit rational thought outside of this arena?

OK, this is for Dave then:

You've thoroughly trashed your rep here because you haven't been able to produce a rational argument backed with evidence.

face it Dave, you failed this course.

Prove to me that you at least do have the ability to think rationally.

Show us something, somewhere, where you can demonstrate a clear, rational, logical, thought process based on evidence.

somewhere, anywhere.

really.

Do you have some copies of discussions you have had with others on totally different topics, like jets, or business, or whatever?

pick something you have discussed that you really know your stuff on.  things you know you would get an "A" on if given a test in college, or high school, even.

You wanted to come off as a reasonable guy.

prove that you are, at least somewhere.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,17:48   

Prove to me that you at least do have the ability to think rationally.

Show us something, somewhere, where you can demonstrate a clear, rational, logical, thought process based on evidence.

somewhere, anywhere.

really.

Sir Terriblename, we've been around each other enough that I can criticise you without you getting offended, so let me say, this is a bad question. We know AFDave has a BSEE, so there are some topics he can talk intelligently about. He can probably explain to you Thevenin's Theorem, or the basics of dealing with Complex Inductance. It's not a matter of AFDave having no brains at all; we know he's got some brains somewhere. The problem is the religious craziness.

edit: Impedence. Complex Impedence. #### you, Sam Adams Summer Ale!

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,17:59   

yes, i know this.

don't you want to see Dave argue electrical engineering or some similar topic in a rational fashion?

look, it goes to exactly what you are saying.

you want to humanize Dave?

let him show he actually IS rational on anything first.

I don't say he should start a topic on a subject in electrical engineering here, but rather simply point us to a place where he has discussed a topic (any topic) in a rational fashion.

I do have my doubts.

again i bring up the spectre of JAD.

if you could have had a discussion with him prior to 1980, i bet it would have been rational and stimulating.

now look at him.

complete gibbering idiot.

All I'm asking is...

Is Dave like JAD, or does he maintain a level of rational thought somewhere?

I'm trying to broaden my own horizons here.  I think there is pathology behind creationism.  

I think that pathology becomes pervasive in all areas of thought, not just on the religious front.

Dave can shoot this down quite readily (er, pun unintentional).

chalk it up to the scientific curiosity in me that keeps wondering what it is exactly that produces the kind of creationist represented by Davescott, AFDave, T-diddy, etc.

it's not just religion, otherwise there would be no scientists, just religious aplogetics (and Wes wouldn't have made this board)

it's not just intelligence or strict ignorance.  That's become quite clear to me over the last 2 years here.

it's not just pure trolling.  nobody has that kind of endurance.

so it seems likely, based on the tremendous amount of projection and denial that can be consistently read into their canned responses, that there is some psychology to this.

It could be compartmentalized abberations, but i seriously doubt it.

I think the pressure on their egos that reality causes the creationist worldview must affect more than just one part of their thinking processes; it would very likely spill over into other areas.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,18:11   

Well, he's already humanized to me (Personal history of Steve S: Lackland AFB 1994, DINFOS 1995 at Ft. Benjamin Harrison outside of Indianapolis, IN, before it was moved to Ft. Meade, 1995- Mysteriously Redacted with no evidence of service). He probably is fairly rational in day-to-day life, just nothing related to science w/r/t conflicts relavent to religion.

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,18:17   

right, and so how many fellow military participants have you met that showed this kind of intractable behavior?

Do you?  not that you've exhibited on any topic i have seen you participate in.

I had the same reaction to scientists I have known that have exhibited this behavior as well, but it has less to do with ignorance than psychology.  I watched this very thing happen to a grad student at berkeley in the MCB department.  

Edit:  by "thing" i mean serious creationist leanings affecting his ability to think in other areas as well.  He was actually a close friend of mine at the time, and i watched him try to struggle with this stuff.  Part of him knew it made no sense, and yet...  he once stood up to give a lecture on it in the museum of Vertebrate Zoology.  It was a sad thing to watch, let me tell you.

I expect eventually someone will reference studies on brainwashing, or whatnot.  whatever.

surely you aren't objecting to a request for Dave to show us how he thinks on other issues, yes?

I can't think of any other way to suggest there to be any reason to continue responding to any of his posts here otherwise.

He might strike a cord with you, but he sure don't with most folks here.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,18:25   

No, I'm not objecting. AFDave was a pilot in the officer corps, and probably fairly normal as far as the people I knew (well, he was a pilot, which means his job was to drop PJ/CCs 2 miles off the drop zone, preferably into pine trees at night ;-) ), but it's all about religion. As I'm sure you've pointed out, people just don't make horses' asses of themselves like this without religious motivation. And that's what's going on here. AFDave is not an idiot, he's perfectly capable of reasoning when his religious commitments don't demand otherwise. IMHO.

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,18:34   

again, I'm not saying he NEVER had the ability to think rationally, I just want him to show us he does NOW.

I thought the example of JAD i provided kind of made that point.

ooh,  this is exciting.  I see competing hypotheses developing that only Dave can answer for us!

here's your chance to participate in science Dave!

refute my hypothesis that your lack of ability to rationally argue in this topic will be reflected in other areas as well.

Just to be clear, Steve's is that your inability to process logic is compartmentalized to this one area.  Is this a correct rendition of your hypothesis Steve?

Isn't science fun?

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,18:43   

Quote (sir_toejam @ May 18 2006,22:09)
I seem to be the only doubter, which also points out the fact that most here seem ready and willing to accept Dave's claim he IS an air force pilot.  based on what, exactly?  a picture of him in a flight suit?  Is GW a Navy man because he has a picture of him in a flightsuit on an aircraft carrier?

On the plus side, it shows that most here are more than willing to accept arguments with even the slightest shred of evidence to support them.

Nah. Frankly, I just didn't care whether he was a pilot or not. Being a pilot doesn't make him understand anything about the scientific method. I suppose I could have tried to get him to prove he used to be a pilot, but actually I was more interested in how he was going to explain away the planet-sized mass of evidence for the earth's age. I've already been waiting way too long, and an interminable detour through Dave's service record wouldn't have helped.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,19:05   

eric, just for kicks, could you put a number on the percentage expectation you realistically have of him ever addressing the evidence for the age of the earth?

if it were me, I'd put the figure somewhere around 4%, slightly below standard level of significance.

but, yes, the answers would be far more interesting than verification of his military record, I have to agree there.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,19:45   

Quote (sir_toejam @ May 19 2006,00:05)
eric, just for kicks, could you put a number on the percentage expectation you realistically have of him ever addressing the evidence for the age of the earth?

if it were me, I'd put the figure somewhere around 4%, slightly below standard level of significance.

Hmm…I guess I didn't ever think he'd be able to provide affirmative evidence that the earth is less than ten thousand years old. So I'd have to give that the ol' goose egg.

But I was hoping at least to hear his arguments why that planet-sized mass of evidence (or maybe a bit of it, anyway) in favor of an earth billions of years old is wrong. That might have been entertaining. But now it looks like he's never even going to address the issue. So far he's spent all his time stumbling over his own penis talking about genetics (something he knows less about than even I do), and trying to persuade us all that god exists before he gets around to showing us what he thinks is evidence for anything else.

Given the pounding he's taken so far talking about evidence that's a good deal less conclusive, I'd have to say your estimate is probably on the high side. Maybe 2%, with a 2% margin or error?

--------------

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2006,20:37   

(I forgot who said this one)
I only brought up the intelligence business because it seemed to me that some of the arguments recently were getting sloppy and basically just calling Dave stupid.

stevestory:
He probably is fairly rational in day-to-day life, just nothing related to science w/r/t conflicts relavent to religion.

Well, steve, you certainly like to look on the bright side...er...

AFDave, I hope you know that I don't have any hard feelings about your stupidity problem. I could believe that you used to be able to think. You are probably a nice guy in that too dumb to tie your shoes kind of a way.

But you are an idiot. That is my hypothesis. And my hypothesis is easily disprovable. I challenge someone to prove me wrong. Show me three sentences strung together coherently.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,03:18   

Nah. Frankly, I just didn't care whether he was a pilot or not. Being a pilot doesn't make him understand anything about the scientific method.

The way Missionary AFDave keeps shoveling the shit, I think of him as a pile-it.  :p

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,04:04   

Incorygible said ...  
Again, Dave, why do you think you know where scientists go wrong?  You've admitted you're not on their level in their respective fields.
I admit that I am not on their level, but there is a relatively small but rapidly growing group of scientists who are disillusioned with Darwinism ... Michael Denton, Michael Behe, Dr. John Baumgardner of Los Alamos to name just a few.  When top notch people like this stand up and say there's a problem, I at least investigate.  Now why is that so unreasonable?

After all, the current crop of scientists aren't doing anything worthwhile, and you seem to know how to correct that, given your science/engineering/religious background.  Why not cure cancer with your "design perspective"? As a politically active businessman who wishes to contribute to humanity and help the YEC cause, would there be anything better?
I have never said the current crop of scientists aren't doing anything worthwhile ... nothing of the sort.  I have consistently said they are doing many great things and I reap the benefits.  But their thinking on origins is highly questionable and the answer to this question has major implications on society.  And I agree that trying to cure cancer from a "design perspective" would be a very worthy goal.

I got interested in this whole affair (I used to not care, just do what I did and let other people believe whatever they wanted) when a YEC (in similar shoes to yours?) sent me a scary fire-and-brimstone e-mail because may name appeared on a university website for teaching a course in evolution.  
I know that some people who wear the YEC label do irresponsible things like this ... I am sorry for that, but I cannot stop them.  I can only do what I do and I for one do not say that you are 'evil' or that you should even quit teaching your views on evolution.  Go ahead and teach them.  Just don't shut out other views.  Honesty would dictate that your view is just that--a view.  The origin of life is not a thing you can 'prove.'  So just admit that and let others express their views as well.  That's all.

Faid has already responded to this and where the misunderstanding lies.  And even if he hadn't, I am sorry that I assumed you were asking a question that had some actual over-arching relevance to the discussion.  I assumed you had learned enough by now to realize that "the missing C" was not the deletion we have been talking about (not even close). But yes, I assumed to much, with the proverbial consequences -- you just wanted to go down yet another rabit hole leading to a meaningless detail and pedagogical semantics.
I was not intentionally leading you down a rabbit hole.  I was trying to summarize your collective position, then point out my view that it is inconclusive to me.

And I think you (of all people), might be a little offended by being accused of being in league with the devil and on a fast-track to ####.
Again, please don't get mad at me for the actions of others, and I will treat you with the same respect.

I don't care what they "believe", either.  Affirmation and consensus with the norm is not a high priority for me.  Did I not mention I'm in science?  We THRIVE on DISagreement, Dave.
OK.  Then you should be thriving.

"The convergence for this deletion may not be unlikely, but primates share dozen mutations. And these mistakes in the broken GULO produce the same phylogeny built with other working genes. This cannot have happened by chance. Would you drop this argument?"
Why would I drop the argument if you agree with me that the deletion is not unlikely?

Honestly, do you even read, Dave?  This reply, with the actual quote right above it, proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are illiterate, dumb as a brick, and/or disingenuous.
She says the convergence may not be unlikely.  She says that primates share dozen mutations.  And these mistakes in the broken GULO produce the same phylogeny built with other working genes. This cannot have happened by chance.  

I don't understand the second sentence, but why is it so unusual to share "dozen mutations"?  Guinea pigs and humans share a lot of mutations too, right?

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,04:41   

Missionary AFDave says

I can only do what I do and I for one do not say that you are 'evil' or that you should even quit teaching your views on evolution.  Go ahead and teach them.  Just don't shut out other views.  

Well Dave, since you keep bringing up the topic of teaching other views, I'll ask these for the fifth time.  

1. Should all scientific findings be required to undergo a critical peer-review process before being deemed acceptable for teaching in schools?

2. Who are the best qualified people to do rigorous critical scientific peer-reviews?

3. Why should the opinion of an ignorant layman about scientific findings carry more weight than the opinions of well trained professional scientists in the relevant fields of study?

And no, I won't waste board space on a separate thread for these questions.  You brought the topic up in this thread, answer the questions in this thread.  Why do you continue to be a coward and avoid them?

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,04:55   

read this link Davey-dog and see how much you understand.

Your entire last post was simple appologies and defensive piles of horsesh!t Davey dog. Like all your other posts. Quit putting off and star4t putting up. You do know that you are desicively swaying those of us on the fence away from your brand of creationism? Who would want to say they were converted by someone as stupid as you?

Answer some questions.

I have to run off to work now. Would someone please make a short list of simple questions Davey  could answer? Or Davey-dog, why dont you go back and find one yourself.

Here's 2:
WHy are the Appalachians not high but the himalayas are high?

How come scientists think the can use DNA as a sort of a clock? (I think it's in the article above)

Don't write anything else until you have answered those 2 questions.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,05:14   

You do know that you are desicively swaying those of us on the fence away from your brand of creationism?
You are on the fence?  Excellent!  There's hope!

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,05:24   

there is a relatively small but rapidly growing group of scientists who are disillusioned with Darwinism

Where's the data to demonstrate that the number of scientists who are 'disillusioned' with 'Darwinism' is 'rapidly growing?'  Can you show that this is the case or does it just suit your purposes to claim that this is so?  

I think what scientists are 'disillusioned' with is morons like you continuing to use the strawman of a 150-year-old body of work to attack a field of work which has progressed, well, 150 years since there was anything which could have been called Darwinism. But again, it suits your purposes to call it that, however dishonest it may be to do so, so as a dishonest creationist, you lie for Jesus.

What I don't understand is why the others here bother trying to teach you anything when you clearly have no desire to learn, and are primarily here to feed your own egotistical delusion that you are fighting a good fight against evolutionary theory.  You're every bit as dense, pedantic, and unable to learn as Larry Fafarman.  Come to think of it, PT was so willing to feed that troll that he'd still be the #1 OT blatherer there, if he had been able to control his egomania enough to keep himself from being banned.

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,05:35   

What I don't understand is why the others here bother trying to teach you anything when you clearly have no desire to learn, and are primarily here to feed your own egotistical delusion that you are fighting a good fight against evolutionary theory.
Well, count me among those who have no illusions about teaching the unteachable.

I am curious about a side point, however. Afdave described Richard Dawkins as an "apologist" (as opposed to a scientist, I guess). What distinction is being drawn here? Who would be an example of a writer (about evolution) who is not an "apologist"?

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

Ved

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,05:55   

There are always people on the fence, somewhere. You're not very convincing though Dave, not to people who hang out here and have heard every single one of your canned arguments numerous times. If you'd listen for once, you might be able to figure out why your arguments are old and busted. We're open to new ideas though... got any?

I though apologetics were for religions. Evolution is not a religion. (what has it done that it needs to apologize for anyway, huh? :p )

Dave, if you want us to take you more seriously you're going to have to stop using religious terminology to describe people who understand the reality of evolution.

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,06:10   

Occam's Toothbrush said
What I don't understand is why the others here bother trying to teach you anything when you clearly have no desire to learn, and are primarily here to feed your own egotistical delusion that you are fighting a good fight against evolutionary theory.  You're every bit as dense, pedantic, and unable to learn as Larry Fafarman.  Come to think of it, PT was so willing to feed that troll that he'd still be the #1 OT blatherer there, if he had been able to control his egomania enough to keep himself from being banned.
Because he's funny, that's why.  :p   We're not trying to teach him anything - he's made it clear that he's not here to learn, he's here to preach and feed his ego.  But there is entertainment to be found in watching the ignorant demonstrate their ignorance.  I know it's not nice, and it's certainly not polite.  But it's entertainment, the best of which is usually neither.

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,06:51   

I admit that I am not on their level, but there is a relatively small but rapidly growing group of scientists who are disillusioned with Darwinism ... Michael Denton, Michael Behe, Dr. John Baumgardner of Los Alamos to name just a few.  When top notch people like this stand up and say there's a problem, I at least investigate.  Now why is that so unreasonable?

It isn't "unreasonable" to "investigate", though I'd question "rapidly growing" and "top notch".  Dave, I'm sure you'll find most posters here with whom you are arguing (myself included) are very familiar with the work of Denton, Behe et al., not to mention AiG, DI, etc.  We've investigated.  (Did I not walk you through such an investigation when it came to why Dr. Wieland's article was wrong, to the extent of hypothesizing as to where he went wrong in his thought process?)  We read and evaluate the literature, Dave -- in this case, even when it is not peer-reviewed and up to the usual standards we demand.  Every week, papers are published that challenge this aspect or that of current theory (this is the disagreement we thrive upon).  We certainly pay attention when someone "stands up and says there is a problem".  It happens ALL THE TIME.  Look at that new Nature paper others have mentioned, which seriously rewrites the timeline and process of human and chimp speciation.  It's our duty to read these claims critically to figure out whether they have merit.  That is how science stands or falls.  We are not ignorant of the arguments made by IDists and YECists.  We have patiently investigated, reviewed, and criticized them as we would real scientific papers.  Look back and you'll see that every time a Creationist such as yourself cries wolf, we grab our guns and go check it out, no matter how many times doing so invariably results in simply patting him on the head and telling him that the shadow he's wailing about is most definitely not a wolf.

I have never said the current crop of scientists aren't doing anything worthwhile ... nothing of the sort.  I have consistently said they are doing many great things and I reap the benefits.  But their thinking on origins is highly questionable and the answer to this question has major implications on society.  And I agree that trying to cure cancer from a "design perspective" would be a very worthy goal.

Fine.  You just say the current crop of evolutionary researchers (like me) are doing questionable science involving dubious thought processes.  You'll forgive me if I don't lose any sleep, Dave, since you have demonstrated you don't have a clue as to what we're doing and why we're doing it.

I know that some people who wear the YEC label do irresponsible things like this ... I am sorry for that, but I cannot stop them.  I can only do what I do and I for one do not say that you are 'evil' or that you should even quit teaching your views on evolution.  Go ahead and teach them.  Just don't shut out other views.  Honesty would dictate that your view is just that--a view.  The origin of life is not a thing you can 'prove.'  So just admit that and let others express their views as well.  That's all.

If I applied your standards of "proof" to ANYTHING in science, we'd have nothing to teach at all.  If, by "origin" you're talking about abiogenesis, I don't teach it.  If you're talking about the origin of species, it hasn't been "just a view" for 150 years, and it would be a lie to teach it as such (Introduction to Postmodernist Theory is a whole different department and a long walk across campus for students who want all knowledge taught as "views").  And come back down off that cross, Dave.  I never made you guilty by association.  You asked why we seemed to be impatient, frustrated, offended, and maybe even angry with this argument.  Part of it has to do with trying to teach the unteachable.  Part of it has to do with a Groundhog-Day-like exasperation.  And part of it has to do with you referring us to sites like AiG, as a supposedly reliable source for science, where we also find ranting articles accusing "evolutionists" like ourselves of the same racism, Naziism, lack of morality, stupidity, damnation, etc. ad nauseum, contained in that original YEC email.  This is a tacit endorsement of those arguments, Dave, but I never held it against you.  Just trying to help you get a better idea of walking in our shoes.

She says the convergence may not be unlikely.  She says that primates share dozen mutations.  And these mistakes in the broken GULO produce the same phylogeny built with other working genes. This cannot have happened by chance.  

I don't understand the second sentence, but why is it so unusual to share "dozen mutations"?  Guinea pigs and humans share a lot of mutations too, right?

This is important, Dave.  It's something you might wish to rectify.  Because until you understand that sentence, it's 'round and 'round and 'round the mulberry bush with you.  However, since you plead ignorance (as opposed to laziness, disingenuity, or dishonesty), I will try one last time (though I have my suspicions that those other descriptions are playing a role here).

The mutation that prevents humans and guinea pigs from synthesizing vitamin C is in the same gene (i.e., the GULO pseudogene).  It is NOT the same mutation (different deletions).  In the time since that gene lost its function via those (different) deletions in humans and guinea pigs (tens of millions of years in each lineage), many base-pair substitutions have occurred in this selection-free pseudogene.  A somewhat greater than expected proportion of those substitutions (36% observed vs. 25% expected) are shared, suggesting the involvement of mutational hotspots.  This is interesting, but not relevant to the discussion at hand.  Saying that humans and guinea pigs "share the same mutation in GULO" is misleading.  Humans and guinea pigs both have mutations that make GULO non-functional.  They share a slightly higher percentage of substitutions since the original mutations occurred.

I happen to disagree that the "convergence" between human and guinea pig GULO is at all significant (you're not suggesting that loss of function is "convergent", are you?).    But even if it was, you are missing the fact that this is one gene in thousands, and two species in millions.  Thousands of genes and millions of species that line up to form an overwhelming pattern of common descent that matches the pattern inferred earlier from the fossil record.  If you want to question common descent, you can't discuss single genes outside of this context, Dave.

In other words, yes, guinea pigs and humans share "dozens" (much, much more!;) of genes and mutations.  Apes and humans share "dozens" (much, much more!;) of additional mutations beyond this.  And so on and so forth.  This is the reality of common descent.  Learn it before you tilt at windmills.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,07:23   

A somewhat greater than expected proportion of those substitutions (36% observed vs. 25% expected) are shared, suggesting the involvement of mutational hotspots.
If you refer back to the exchange Jeannot & I had on this, I think you'll see that you don't have to appeal to anything so esoteric as mutational hotspots. The high percentage of substitutions between* rat and guinea pig sequences shared with the substitutions between* rat and human probably reflects nothing more puzzling than the fact that the rat lineage evolved rat-lineage-specific mutations in the millions of years since it diverged from the guinea pig. Unless, of course, we're talking specifically about substitutions that would result in loss of function (like missense mutations) - but I don't think we are.

(Note the careful use "between X and Y" rather than "from X to Y", since it's this thinking that somehow the rat sequence == the ancestral sequence that generates all the confusion on this point.)

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,07:31   

Quote (Russell @ May 19 2006,12:23)
A somewhat greater than expected proportion of those substitutions (36% observed vs. 25% expected) are shared, suggesting the involvement of mutational hotspots.
If you refer back to the exchange Jeannot & I had on this, I think you'll see that you don't have to appeal to anything so esoteric as mutational hotspots. The high percentage of substitutions between* rat and guinea pig sequences shared with the substitutions between* rat and human probably reflects nothing more puzzling than the fact that the rat lineage evolved rat-lineage-specific mutations in the millions of years since it diverged from the guinea pig. Unless, of course, we're talking specifically about substitutions that would result in loss of function (like missense mutations) - but I don't think we are.

(Note the careful use "between X and Y" rather than "from X to Y", since it's this thinking that somehow the rat sequence == the ancestral sequence that generates all the confusion on this point.)

Good point -- I forgot about the rat GULO being used as the ancestral sequence.  So there you go, Dave -- many of these "shared" substitutions in human and rat aren't really "shared" at all.  That is, these mutations didn't happen twice (once in the human and once in the guinea pig lineage), but were present in the LCA of human, rat and guinea pig and mutated once in the rat lineage.  My (and Inai's?) bad.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,08:12   

Quote (Russell @ May 19 2006,12:23)
A somewhat greater than expected proportion of those substitutions (36% observed vs. 25% expected) ...

For a given couple of mutations occurring independently in two lineages at the same locus, the expected convergence is indeed 25%. But the overall probability of convergence is much lower, considering the probability of occurrence of two mutations at the same locus, which is far lower than 25% if mutations are rare (recent divergence).
25% is the expected convergence, only if mutations are so frequent that the homology between two diverging sequences cannot be detected. (ie : 100% chance of mutating at the same nucleotide).

(Is my English clear enough?)

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,08:28   

Quote (jeannot @ May 19 2006,13:12)
For a given couple of mutations occurring independently in two lineages at the same locus, the expected convergence is indeed 25%. But the overall probability of convergence is much lower, considering the probability of occurrence of two mutations at the same locus, which is far lower than 25% if mutations are rare (recent divergence).
25% is the expected convergence, only if mutations are so frequent that the homology between two diverging sequences cannot be detected. (ie : 100% chance of mutating at the same nucleotide).

(Is my English clear enough?)

Perfectly clear, jeannot.  And I suspected the 25% was a little simplistic.  So really, to say anything at all about human and guinea pig "convergence" in GULO as it relates to this discussion, we need to know the following:

1. What substitutions occurred independently in the rat lineage?  These are not "convergent" substitutions between humans and guinea pigs, and should be eliminated from the analysis.

2. Of the remainder, what overall degree of convergence do we expect for neutral substitutions in the 75-million-plus years since the LCA between humans, rats and guinea pigs, and non-neutral substitutions since the gene "broke" in humans (~40 mya) and guinea pigs (?unknown?)?  How does this compare statistically to our revised estimate of convergence (i.e., after we have removed the rat-only substitutions)?

3. How would mutational "hot-spots" at some of these loci, if they occur, change our expected convergence in (2).

Seems like this kind of leg-work should have been done by AiG before touting the guinea pig's "36%" convergence as an argument-killer, don't you think, Dave?

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,08:33   

Dave, I really think you need to read, and understand (that means read it slowly and carefully and make sure you understand each paragraph before you go onto the next one) Douglas Theobald's superb article at Talk Origins setting forth the mountain of evidence supporting common descent with modification. If you honestly read and understand that one article, you will understand that common descent with modification is not an hypothesis in need of evidence; it's a fact in need of explanation.

Now, you can try to explain common descent by reference to some sort of designer, but you cannot deny that common descent is a fact. Therefore, there's absolutely no point in denying the common provenance of humans and chimps, or the interrelatedness of all life forms on the planet. We're past that, Dave, and you should be too.

Here's an interesting piece of evidence for you Dave: the phylogenetic tree for the 30 well-described taxa is exactly the same whether you support it with evidence from taxonomy, from gene or protein analysis, from reference to the fossil record, and from comparative anatomical studies. Would you care to estimate the probability of that convergence happening by chance, Dave? Well, you don't really have to, because Theobald does it for you. It turns out that for 30 different taxa, the number of different phylogenetic trees (i.e., the number of different "family trees") you can draw is in the neighborhood of 10^38. But every line of evidence biologists use for these 30 high-level taxa points to exactly the same tree.

This is why scientists believe that common descent has been demonstrated beyond all possibility of doubt, Dave. So you're wasting your time trying to disprove common descent. Now, if you can come up with an accounting for common descent that doesn't rely on pseudo-random mutation operated on by, among other things, natural selection, well, be our guest.

But please, for the love of god, don't waste any more of our time arguing that common descent is not a fact.

It's time to move on, brother.

--------------

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2006,08:42   

Quote (incorygible @ May 19 2006,13:28)
2. Of the remainder, what overall degree of convergence do we expect for neutral substitutions in the 75-million-plus years since the LCA between humans, rats and guinea pigs, and non-neutral substitutions since the gene "broke" in humans (~40 mya) and guinea pigs (?unknown?)?  How does this compare statistically to our revised estimate of convergence (i.e., after we have removed the rat-only substitutions)?

3. How would mutational "hot-spots" at some of these loci, if they occur, change our expected convergence in (2).

These questions are difficult to answer precisely.
It depends on the percentage of mutations per locus, which could be estmitated by: the number of mutations from an ancestral sequence / the length of the considered sequence (I guess).
To estimate the number of mutation that have accumulated since an initial split, you have to build a phylogeny using parcimony or likelihood.

But hot spots, and the possibility for a nucleotide to mutate more than once, further complicate calculations.

685 replies since May 08 2006,03:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (23) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]