RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (527) < ... 460 461 462 463 464 [465] 466 467 468 469 470 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: April 03 2020,12:32   

How does that old saying go, "just because you're paranoid..."

LarTanner

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2020,14:22   

I feel like I will shortly be banned again from UD for my fun at the Vividbleau/Problem of Evil thread:

LarTanner (April 5, 2020 at 12:49 pm)
Responses to responses:
* Jerry at 38 says, “Why don’t you define evil since you use it a lot.” Jerry, I refer you to “The Concept of Evil” at https://plato.stanford.edu/entries....t-evil. I trust the definition provided here will suffice for you.

* Bornagain77 at 39 believes I am hand-waving off the “devastating problems for atheists in their denial of the reality of morality.” Bornagain77 further wants to know what, exactly, an atheist means by “reality.” My response now is to remind Jerry and Bornagain77 that the OP is about whether the problem of evil is more a problem for an atheist or a theist. I am showing that it appears to be much more a problem for an Abrahamic theist. To your strange insistence here on defining terms, I say, “Ah, you think definitions are your ally. But you merely adopted them; I was born in them, molded by them [. . .] Definitions betray you, because they belong to me!”

* Truthfreedom at 40 makes a riddle whose answer must surely be “Jesus.”

* John_a_designer at 41 proposes the matter rests, first, on the declaration that “Evil exists,” which is naturally consistent with a non-theist position–i.e., “morality is ultimately human invention.” Perhaps, though, some believe inventions do not exist. John_a_designer also poses the question, “What are you (or we) going to do about it [i.e., evil, which exists]”? John_a_designer concludes, rightly, that “To recognize (evil) and do nothing about it is immoral.” Hence, a great many theists in every generation cry, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” I would say this nails the case for the problem of evil being more a problem for the Abrahamic theist.

And then

LarTanner (April 5, 2020 at 1:03 pm)
I admit I am amused.
* Bornagain77 at 43 says “At the heart of LarTanner’s irrational claim that morality must be illusory….” This claim has not been made by me.

* Jerry at 44 says “Try making it into a dictionary definition that all can agree to and not point to a long website.” This is moving the goalposts. You asked for a definition; I gave you one. End of story. I urge you to move forward and make a point.

Link

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2020,18:28   

How long have you posted there LarTanner? I’ve never had a sock last more than a few days because usually I can’t resist and I point out what a complete fucking loon BatShit77 is.    :)  :D  :p

Edited by stevestory on April 05 2020,19:35

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2020,19:16   

Which pseudoscience publishes more fake scientific papers? Intelligent Design Creationists or astrologers?

So far in 2020 it’s astrologers!

Edited by stevestory on April 05 2020,20:17

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2020,21:04   

DaveS
April 5, 2020 at 5:54 pm
KF,

I think you underestimate what happens when everything becomes deeply polarised and balkanised through mutual suspicion.

In that spirit, do you think now might be a good time to set aside the “Agit-Prop, Opinon Manipulation And Well-Poisoning Games” tag?
linky

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2020,10:32   

I've just browsed the "The Argument From Evil Is Absurd" thread; the revenue-enhancer gave me an advert for a new toilet cleaner, which seems appropriate.  :)

I think the real problem with the discussion is that they are trying to use "evil" as a noun rather than an adjective....

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2020,11:33   

I mean sure, Thomas Aquinas and all the smartest philosophers the church has for a thousand years have considered it a serious problem, but what do they know? Barry is Master Philosopher!

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2020,11:50   

does not exist.

ChuckdarwinApril 6, 2020 at 10:33 am
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
Epicurus said it first, said it best and it cannot be refuted by playing sophistic games of “objective” vs. “subjective” morality. The so-called dichotomy of “no good without evil” begs the questions “from whence cometh evil” (obviously God if you are a theist) and “what is evil” (that which is not good, thus spinning us off into tautology land…).
Morality, by definition, is objective because morality is a social construct–it defines the rights and duties of each person vis a vis every other person. Another word for objective morality is law which derives by force (from the sovereign) or consensus (from the people). The fact that morality, i.e. the law, can change in one of these two ways does not make it “relativistic” or “subjective."

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2020,15:06   

Quote (stevestory @ April 06 2020,11:33)
I mean sure, Thomas Aquinas and all the smartest philosophers the church has for a thousand years have considered it a serious problem, but what do they know? Barry is Master Philosopher!

I love his argument - essentially, the Devil exists, so therefore God exists. That seems somehow backwards.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2020,16:10   

His argument strikes me as being rather circular.  You could come to the conclusion that God almost certainly exists and is most likely shaped like a banana given a similar starting point and the existence of plums. Just define abanaformity as being the privation of bananaformity which He objectively and perfectly embodies.

And he seems to think that the existence of evil in the world is not a problem for Christians because atheists think that being murdered is like eating the wrong flavor ice cream or something.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2020,16:11   

When Alvin Plantinga wasn’t babbling his religious warrant nonsense, he actually did very solid work as a philosopher. It would be very very funny if Plantinga found his way to Barry’s thread. I doubt he would suffer Barry gladly.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2020,16:17   

Quote (steve_h @ April 06 2020,17:10)
His argument strikes me as being rather circular.  You could come to the conclusion that God almost certainly exists and is most likely shaped like a banana given a similar starting point and the existence of plums. Just define abanaformity as being the privation of bananaformity which He objectively and perfectly embodies.

And he seems to think that the existence of evil in the world is not a problem for Christians because atheists think that being murdered is like eating the wrong flavor ice cream or something.

They’re so used to sending the terms of the debate and babbling that atheists have no objective grounding for their ethics, I think it would be funny if somebody charged in there and put on the reverse position, that Christians can’t have any objective grounding because they’re fundamentally committed to immoral book, whereas atheist ethics are grounded in logic and reality.

As an atheist, agnostic, and I don’t even care to argue about the definitions, morality seems to me to be based in conscience, which comes from empathy, which any normal human being has. That people have consciences is is an objective fact. That people who behave psychotically have a low survival value on average is a Darwinian reason to think that there’s some good here.

But the whole argument is just a bunch of bullshit theory in lieu of the facts. The facts are that if you’re an atheist in America you are no more likely to have a criminal record then if you are a random Christian in America. If somebody stole your car, do you say “well at least his morality was grounded in objective truth”? No. You say that motherfucker I want my car back.

All those bullshit arguments about ethics are just ways they can feel superior, to people they’re not superior to.

Edited by stevestory on April 06 2020,17:18

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2020,16:22   

Born-again is the Internet version of an insane street preacher, and though I’ve read less than 1% of the words he’s written, I read enough that it seems like he doesn’t just cut and paste everything, he actually sits there and types those 5000 words of irrelevant gibberish several times per day. You’ve gotta wonder how damaged the rest of his life is, with him operating on such an obsessive fixation every day.

Edited by stevestory on April 06 2020,17:22

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2020,16:34   

Quote (steve_h @ April 06 2020,16:10)

Sir Bedevere: ...and that, my liege, is how we know the Almighty to be banana shaped.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2020,09:12   

Measuring Active Information in Biological Systems

My latest paper, “Measuring Active Information in Biological Systems,” was released today at BIO-Complexity. Read on for more information about the paper, what it means, and why it is important.

Posted onApril 6, 2020 Authorjohnnyb Comments(3)

Like you guys, I am sure this will be groundbreaking and important and highly cited and so forth.

tard :p  :)  :D  :)  :p

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2020,14:06   

Quote (stevestory @ April 07 2020,09:12)

My latest paper, “Measuring Active Information in Biological Systems,” was released today at BIO-Complexity. Read on for more information about the paper, what it means, and why it is important.

Like you guys, I am sure this will be groundbreaking and important and highly cited and so forth.

How many papers does that make for this year.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2020,17:54   

BatShit quotes
Leading Scientists Say Consciousness Cannot Die It Goes Back To The Universe – Oct. 19, 2017 – Spiritual
Excerpt: “Let’s say the heart stops beating. The blood stops flowing. The microtubules lose their quantum state. But the quantum information, which is in the microtubules, isn’t destroyed. It can’t be destroyed. It just distributes and dissipates to the universe at large. If a patient is resuscitated, revived, this quantum information can go back into the microtubules and the patient says, “I had a near death experience. I saw a white light. I saw a tunnel. I saw my dead relatives.,,” Now if they’re not revived and the patient dies, then it’s possible that this quantum information can exist outside the body. Perhaps indefinitely as a soul.”
– Stuart Hameroff – Quantum Entangled Consciousness – Life After Death – video (5:00 minute mark)
https://www.disclose.tv/leading....-315604
Who doesn’t get their scientific information from disclose.tv? It’s only been called a fake news site by US news and world report and politifact.

https://www.politifact.com/article....at-they

https://www.usnews.com/news....l-costs

durr

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2020,16:28   

I nominate this line for some sort of award:

"To the rescue comes Robert Marks and William Dembski, with Active Information."  You can almost hear the cavalry bugles.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2020,17:17   

Somebody should ask them what sort of activities this "information" of theirs precipitates in.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2020,18:21   

Jerry
April 8, 2020 at 6:33 am
How many were in the control group

Tens of thousands. I believe they’re all dead.

Now I am waiting for the nitpicking of my extremely sarcastic comment. Probably a more accurate comment is that the control group contains all the dead.

In Zelenko’s group there was one dead out of a thousand. He didn’t take the medicine. So was he really an example of his small control group.

Who would ever volunteer to be in the control group. What are the ethics of establishing a control group knowing a large number will die?

link

Yes, Jerry, who would volunteer to be in the control group? Because that’s totally how scientific studies are done and you’re not at all a moron.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2020,18:23   

If you wouldn’t put people in the control group because you know they would die without the medicine, then you already know the medicine works and you don’t need to be doing the study. God these idiots. It’s just 190-proof Tard, right from the Still.  :p  :)  :D

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2020,18:35   

Quote (stevestory @ April 08 2020,18:23)
If you wouldn’t put people in the control group because you know they would die without the medicine, then you already know the medicine works and you don’t need to be doing the study. God these idiots. It’s just 190-proof Tard, right from the Still.  :p  :)  :D

Honestly, we should just give up and declare Darwinism, Materialism, and Atheism dead right now.  It’s been a good run.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2020,18:40   

Quote (Texas Teach @ April 08 2020,19:35)
Quote (stevestory @ April 08 2020,18:23)

Honestly, we should just give up and declare Darwinism, Materialism, and Atheism dead right now.  It’s been a good run.

They’re over there calling hydrochloroquine the “cure” for Covid-19.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2020,02:45   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 08 2020,16:28)

"To the rescue comes Robert Marks and William Dembski, with Active Information."  You can almost hear the cavalry bugles.

"I am here, my capitain!"

(although Major Dennis Bloodnock, 3rd Airborne Navy Cavalry, retracted might be more appropriate for Demski)

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2020,05:49   

Bob O'H
April 9, 2020 at 1:37 am
ba77 @ 102 – try reading my whole comment @90. I did actually answer your question. I appreciate that answering your question means that you can’t use snark around me not answering your question, but I’m not sure you’re helping yourself by demonstrating what seems to be an inability to read beyond a single paragraph.

linky

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2020,09:49   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 08 2020,16:28)

General Custer's widow's birthday was noted on the Wikipedia front page yesterday.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2020,11:34   

I lack the data to understand this active information stuff.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2020,12:42   

Active information? WTA.

The colour blue does stuff while you're not watching.

That's just fucking retarded.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2020,15:02   

Link to Johnny B's fake “paper”

Too bad they published in bio-complexity where Johnny is purely coincidentally an editor, I’m sure Nature and Science were chomping at the bit.  :p  :)  :p  :O

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2020,10:18   

Crackpot Granville Sewell at the Dense Place is pimping yet another "2nd Law of Thermo makes evolution impossible!" video.  This time the video is by a YEC moron named Mark Champneys.  It's the same tired horseshit, even has the evolution = tornado reassembling a pile of rubble into a building, Sewell's favorite.

Of course all the local IDiots chimed in about what a wonderful video it is.  Batshit posted his usual scroll-wheel killing multi-thousand word bowel dump.  Same as it ever was. :)

The video can also be found on YouTube called "When Scientists Ignore Science" should anyone wish to leave a comment there.  ;)

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

15792 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (527) < ... 460 461 462 463 464 [465] 466 467 468 469 470 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]