RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (23) < ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... >   
  Topic: AF Dave Has More Questions About Apes, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 13 2006,22:35   

Quote (Faid @ May 13 2006,20:39)
Agree with what, Dave? that 36% of the point mutations in the two broken genes are the same? Sure, we agree. Now, will you read our answers, and the links we gave you?

It would be more accurate to use the term 'nucleotids' instead of 'mutations', because mutations are changes of ancestral states. 36% of similar point mutations would imply that 36% of the changes in GLO since the human and rodent lineages split are convergent, which is not the case(I'm sure the percentage is just the basic distance between the genes).

So Dave, since 36% of similarity between the broken GLO genes in guinea pigs and human are very low and support our view, what is your interpretation?

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 13 2006,22:51   

Quote (afdave @ May 13 2006,20:27)
I just performed a quick BLAST of GULO (exon 10), and the homology between human and chimp is 97%.
No surprises there, right?

So you want the original article? ... I can probably have it on Monday or Tuesday ...

I appreciate, but I already have the paper (Nishikimi et al.).

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,01:40   

Why do you ask? Got anything to share?

I thought you were going to show why Dr. Max of Talk Origins is correct and Woodmorappe of AIG is wrong on this "Vitamin C gene" issue.

That's what we were talking about ...

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,01:48   

There it is.  They [AIG] don't do science, they do apologetics.  They don't do any scientific research for themselves--the best you can say is that they are armchair critics.

Armchair critics ... er, yes ... sort of like you, right?

It's funny that Evos think that Creos should "do their own research."  That would be like me saying   "PT and TO people shouldn't quote researchers like Nikimishi and Inai ... they should do their own research!!"

Pretty silly argument, now, isn't it?

Yeah, I thought so ... you can take it back if you like ... I won't embarrass you by quoting you further.

--------------

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,02:08   

So Dave, since 36% of similarity between the broken GLO genes in guinea pigs and human are very low and support our view, what is your interpretation?

My view is that Dr. Max made an unwarranted assertion by saying that "GLO mistakes" were copied from the common ancestor of apes and humans.  I think the GLO situation we have in humans and apes today could just as easily support Common Design Theory.  

Of course, it is fine for him to have that interpretation if he chooses.  I just think we know too little to be dogmatic as he seems to be.

Renier said that basically this was a closed case for him and was the very issue that made him abandon the YEC position.

Separate issue:  the guinea pig thing

This is interesting, but I'm not saying anything dogmatic about it.  I really don't understand enough about it and I would value Jeannot's analysis of the AIG article.  Jeannot, do you also have the Inai article that AIG quotes?

It appears that they are saying that humans would be more closely related to guinea pigs (because humans also have broken GLO) than to pro-simians (functional GLO) if we followed evolutionary logic, but this is obviously absurd, because they are not related.  Again, I don't know if I agree with this or not.

I think they are also pointing out that evolutionists agree that guinea pig GLO broke independently from the simian line, so why shouldn't we expect ape GLO to break independently from human GLO?

We should.  At the very least, we cannot dogmatically say that the GLO gene definitely broke in the common ancestor, then was copied to apes and humans.

Do you agree?

--------------

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,03:10   

No.

Dave, read the links.

See the actual kind of differences present between human and guinea pig GULO genes (not just the ones AiG mentions, which are but a small part) and compare them to the minimal differences between primates.

This is the fifth (I think?) time I'm asking you to... You have repeatedly claimed that you read the links we provide: Are you going to make a liar out of yourself?

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,03:17   

Quote (afdave @ May 14 2006,06:48)
There it is.  They [AIG] don't do science, they do apologetics.  They don't do any scientific research for themselves--the best you can say is that they are armchair critics.

Armchair critics ... er, yes ... sort of like you, right?

It's funny that Evos think that Creos should "do their own research."  That would be like me saying   "PT and TO people shouldn't quote researchers like Nikimishi and Inai ... they should do their own research!!"

Pretty silly argument, now, isn't it?

Yeah, I thought so ... you can take it back if you like ... I won't embarrass you by quoting you further.

Dave, we're referring to AiG and all their proclaimed experts, like Woodmorappe, not you. You reply by referring to us.
And AiG does not quote scientific research that supports Genesis (because there isn't any, and they cannot come up with any), so they take existing scientific research and try to twist and distort its data to their liking. They're liars, dave.

I'll give you a chance to retract what you said, before you embarrass yourself even further.

--------------

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

qetzal

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,04:47   

Quote (afdave @ May 14 2006,07:08)
It appears that they are saying that humans would be more closely related to guinea pigs (because humans also have broken GLO) than to pro-simians (functional GLO) if we followed evolutionary logic, but this is obviously absurd, because they are not related.  Again, I don't know if I agree with this or not.

I think they are also pointing out that evolutionists agree that guinea pig GLO broke independently from the simian line, so why shouldn't we expect ape GLO to break independently from human GLO?

We should.  At the very least, we cannot dogmatically say that the GLO gene definitely broke in the common ancestor, then was copied to apes and humans.

Do you agree?

It's not simply the fact that GLO is 'broken.' It's the exact nature of the 'breaks.' That's what supports evolution & common descent.

You realize that genes are generally a few thousand base pairs long (or longer), right? And you realize that there are many, many, many different genetic changes that can 'break' (inactivate) any given change?

So, if humans and other great apes all have an inactivated GLO gene, and the cause of the inactivation is virtually identical in all of them, that's evidence for evolution via common descent. Not proof. Evidence.

If you want to cling to the statement that we can't dogmatically say the GLO gene definitely broke in the common ancestor, go right ahead. Of course, the GLO gene is just one piece of evidence, among thousands of others. But even with all that evidence, we can't definitely say evolution and common descent are proven.

What we can say is that evolution not only provides detailed, mechanistic explanations of the available data, is also accurately and reproducibly predicts new observations. Creationism does neither of those things. That's why evolution is science, and creationism is not. That's why evolution should be taught in science class, and creationism should not.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,04:58   

Do you agree?

No.
We use the principle of parsimony. All copies of the GLO gene are broken in the same way in primates, which besides were known to share a common ancestor way before (that's why they constitute an order).The pylogeny (tree) made with that pseudogene reflects the phylogenies based on other coding genes.
Parallel loss of function, resulting from the same mutations, are extremely improbable. Do you know how many primate species exist?
And the pattern of mutations confirms, alongside the fact that those organisms can't survive without vitamin C, that GLO is not coding and evolves by genetic drift, not NS.

According to common design, the creator would have put broken copies of a gene in each species, copies that reflect the current phylogeny, built with coding genes. Why would he? A broken gene is not part of a design, it's useless.

You said you would readily accept any evidence for common descent. I don't think you are sincere. What kind of proof would convince you?

And what are your thoughts on the fact that AIG only referred to the 36% homology between guinea pigs and humans, but forgot to mention the 97% identity between us and chimpanzees? Silly mistake again?

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,06:00   

I think the GLO situation we have in humans and apes today could just as easily support Common Design Theory.  
I keep asking, and you keep not answering: what, in the "common design theory", would have led Nishikimi to expect to find gulo homologs in humans and guinea pigs?"

If you can't answer that, then, no, the common design theory is not "just as easily supported".

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,06:39   

You said you would readily accept any evidence for common descent. I don't think you are sincere. What kind of proof would convince you?
Jeannot asks an important question, in fact the important question, here.

The only evidence that I can imagine persuading AFD is AnswersInGenesis publicly admitting that they're wrong, and that the case is, in fact, every bit as solid as the scientists say. And that's not going to happen.

Think about it. AiG has a far-fetched answer for everything, and it was like pulling teeth to get AFD to see the lameness of even the lamest B.S. Even then, it doesn't seem to have put much of a dent in his confidence in them. So we move on to the next AiG bogosity, then the next, and the next... until AiG runs out of money. (I was going to say, runs out of arguments, but as we all know, they just start recycling at that point.)

I think it's a valid question, and AFD should probably address it before he wastes a lot more time with his claims to open-mindedness:

Apparently the fossil evidence, DNA sequence analysis, chromosome structure, and a coherent theory are not enough.
What kind of proof would convince you?

--------------

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,07:40   

mmm actually, I spoke too fast. :O
Faid, you were right.
There indeed seems to be a convergence between human and guinea pig for some substitutions in GLO. I should have read your post, and the abstract that Russel provided more carefully.        
A comparison of the remaining human exon sequences with the corresponding sequences of the guinea pig nonfunctional GULO gene revealed that the same substitutions from rats to both species occurred at a large number of nucleotide positions.

I don't have access to this paper, but to another by one of the authors.

I'm not an expert in molecular biology, but these 36% of convergence are not very disturbing. Convergence increases to a value of 25% as mutations accumulate. Some mutational 'hot spots' (I don't know much about them) may account for the difference.
Anyway, the percentage of identical substitutions between human and chimp is certainly well above 36%.

However, their sentence puzzles me: "from rats to both species occurred... ". Since when are modern rats the ancestors of primates and other rodents?
That could be misleading. One must not consider that GLO in rats is the ancestral state of the borken copies in guinea pigs and primates. The 36% of convergent substitutions might be an overestimation. Some neutral substitutions may have occurred in the rats lineage only.
EDIT : I already see IDers coming. For every gene showing some convergence between lineages (and there are several) they'll be claming "See? Darwinism is doomed, this one gene contradicts comon descent, ah ah...ect." ???

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,08:15   

However, their sentence puzzles me: "from rats to both species occurred... ". Since when are modern rats the ancestors of primates and other rodents?
I suspect that's exactly the problem.

I don't have access to the paper, either. But I do have access to GeneBank. What do you want to bet that most of that 36% will turn out to be rat-specific mutations from the consensus?

--------------

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,08:21   

...and if that does turn out to be the case, what is the more likely explanation for AiG's mistake: incompetence, or dishonesty?

--------------

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,08:27   

Quote (Russell @ May 14 2006,13:15)

I suspect that's exactly the problem.

I don't have access to the paper, either. But I do have access to GeneBank. What do you want to bet that most of that 36% will turn out to be rat-specific mutations from the consensus?

I won't bet because that's what I think too (except for the "most"). In fact, I edited my post in that way just before I read yours.  ;)

To check that, we should gather several sequences from rodents, primates (and maybe other mammals), if available, and build a maximum likelihood our parsimony phylogeny. The three sequences alone (rat, guinea pig and human) won't do.
But the number of mutations is expected to be much higher in the broken genes, so I don't expect the level of convergence to be much reduced.

Maybe we could write a paper together?  ;)

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,09:07   

My view is that Dr. Max made an unwarranted assertion by saying that "GLO mistakes" were copied from the common ancestor of apes and humans.  I think the GLO situation we have in humans and apes today could just as easily support Common Design Theory.

We're back to your problems with logic, Dave.

In your mind what does "warrant" any evidence used in any  argument? How does "evidence" "support" any argument?

Step back from the evolution/ID argument and look at some other scientific theories. We can translate your complaints about evolution into complaints about any major scientific theory. You can name any scientific theory you like and believe in, Dave, and I'll use your style of argument to frustrate you.

Take "plate tectonics," (google it) a theory that says the Earth is covered in plates of crust floating on molten rock and growing out where the molten rock rises from the Earth's interior. One one side the plate grows cold and sinks down into the interior, where it's remelted. Continents ride on top of these plates. Sometimes they crash into each other, forming mountains.

If you're a young earth creationist than you don't believe this theory either since it requires an old Earth. But you can choose your own, Dave. Then I'll throw your illogical and irrational style of argument back at you.

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,09:15   

Quote (Russell @ May 14 2006,13:21)
...and if that does turn out to be the case, what is the more likely explanation for AiG's mistake: incompetence, or dishonesty?

Well, since we've seen that they've already withheld information regarding deletions, and made it look like the 36% simillarity in substitutions alone is the overall simillarity in the two genes... Need you ask?  ;)

I admit I hadn't thought of that: Point mutations (not deletions though- I think) can also accumulate in species with an active form of the gene, as long as the gene remains functional after them. So, a significant number of those could have happened after rats and guinea pigs diverged. That would make the number of simillar subtitutions attributed to other reasons (like mutational hotspots) much less.
Not that this affects the fact that the remarkable resemblance (including specific deletions etc.) of the broken gene in primates suggests common descent from a gene broken in a single species, of course: This evidence is way strong the way it stands. It just helps to clear out the AiG smokescreens easier.

...You know, it's a good thing creationists like Dave drop by from time to time and try to "enlighten" us: It helps us refresh things we had forgotten, learn things we didn't know, have constructive debates (such as this) we'd normally not have, and in the end appreciate science even more.

--------------

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,09:46   

Quote (Faid @ May 14 2006,14:15)
... a significant number of those could have happened after rats and guinea pigs diverged. That would make the number of simillar subtitutions attributed to other reasons (like mutational hotspots) much less.

That's what Inai et al. measured. The substitutions between rats and guinea pigs (not from rat to guinea pigs, and that's their mistake), which they compared to rat-human substitutions, necessarily occured after their lineages diverged.
The apparent convergence of 36% could be significantly reduced, only if several substitutions accumulated in the rat lineage only, which is not likely since the active GLO is subject to purifying selection.

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,10:12   

Quote (jeannot @ May 14 2006,14:46)
The apparent convergence of 36% could be significantly reduced, only if several substitutions accumulated in the rat lineage only, which is not likely since the active GLO is subject to purifying selection.

I know, that's why I'm speaking of substitutions that do not affect the gene's function. Now, I think such are possible to occur (although much, much less than all the kinds of mutations that accumulate in broken genes, of course)... Otherwise, the GULO gene should be 100% identical in all animals that can make their own vit. C- And I think that is not the case? Or is it? Does anyone have a relevant source?

Did I mention that this is fun?  :)

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,10:18   

I wonder why AFDave isn't hear setting you all straight about your convergences and your BLASTs and what have you.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,10:24   

Quote (Faid @ May 14 2006,15:12)
Quote (jeannot @ May 14 2006,14:46)

I know, that's why I'm speaking of substitutions that do not affect the gene's function. Now, I think such are possible to occur (although much, much less than all the kinds of mutations that accumulate in broken genes, of course)... Otherwise, the GULO gene should be 100% identical in all animals that can make their own vit. C- And I think that is not the case? Or is it? Does anyone have a relevant source?

Did I mention that this is fun?  :)

Sure, synonymous mutations, for instance, are essentially neutral. You can also have some beneficial mutations.
And as you said, the number of neutral substitutions is far higher in a non-coding sequence, since 100% are neutral.

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,10:26   

Quote (stevestory @ May 14 2006,15:18)
I wonder why AFDave isn't hear setting you all straight about your convergences and your BLASTs and what have you.

From what I hear, he's busy posting over at his newfound haven at UD right now.

But I'm sure he'll be back...

--------------

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,12:06   

From what I hear, he's busy posting over at his newfound haven at UD right now.
(see comment #5 on this UD thread:)
I spend a lot of time over at Panda’s Thumb at “After the Bar Closes” refuting evolution and defending Intelligent Design …
[guffaw]
Is that what you think you're doing here, Dave? Better not tell DaveSnot that what you're really doing is arguing against common descent. He'll ban your a$$ over there faster than you can say "AnswersInGenesis".

--------------

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,12:34   

Nah, Davescot's been put on a leash: Young earthers are quite welcome at UD these days. I'm sure that Dave will find it quite a hospitable place, now that the Immanuel Velikovsky of Information Theory has given up all pretense, and DS is biting his lip trying to constrain himself...

--------------

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2006,12:53   

Quote (Faid @ May 14 2006,15:26)
... he's busy posting over at his newfound haven at UD right now.

And he has a website:
http://airdave.blogspot.com

He gets Warren Buffet quoting Jesus:
http://airdave.blogspot.com/2005....te.html

But he doesn't seem to know that Warren Buffet is an atheist, like Bill Gates and George Soros.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,05:45   

I just did a quick look at a 3-way comparison of (1) the rat coding gulo sequence, (2) the (NON-guinea) pig coding gulo sequence, and (3) the corresponding guinea pig sequence.

Guess what?

Out of 151 point mutations between guinea pig and rat, 54 (36%! ) of them are the exact same nucleotide in the "pig" pig!  (Those are hand-counted, so don't hold me to the exact numbers; I probably missed a few).

Wow! What do you suppose? Two hypotheses occur to me.

(1) The same mutations "independently" occurred in both "pig" pig and guinea pig. If - as I suspect they will - these largely overlap the mutations that coincide between human and guinea pig - the ones that have AiG and AFDave all excited - then they "independently" occurred 3 times!. Applying Dembski's Explanatory Filter, I'm pretty sure we would have to conclude that The Designer is trying to tell us something, and we should get busy trying to figure out what it is.

OR

(2) These mutations, as I suggested before, occurred once, randomly, in the rat lineage after it diverged from the guinea pig.

--------------

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,06:02   

I'm sorry, I just can't get past this. here it is interactively for Dave

And here it is in writing.

Speciation isn't something that happens quickly and AFDave is trying to fit it into his unbelievably, drastically, horrendouly, misunderestimatedly compressed timeline.

When did the split occur Dave? around the time of pharoah? Oh right you don't think there WAS a split. Interestingly, you sparked a conversation between two people who DO know what they are talking about and got some interesting info.

Arg. ???

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,06:49   

Faid said ...  
Dave, we're referring to AiG and all their proclaimed experts, like Woodmorappe, not you. You reply by referring to us.
And AiG does not quote scientific research that supports Genesis (because there isn't any, and they cannot come up with any), so they take existing scientific research and try to twist and distort its data to their liking. They're liars, dave.

I was not referring to you.  What I said was ...  
That would be like me saying "PT and TO people shouldn't quote researchers like Nikimishi and Inai ... they should do their own research!!"

My point was that people like Dr. Max on Talk Origins use other people's research (Inai, Nikimishi, etc.) and draw conclusions ... why shouldn't AIG do the same?  Obviously they are going to have different conclusions because they hold a different world view.  This is not lying.  You have not shown me one lie they have told.  You have shown me that Dr. Wieland was uninformed about transcription direction being unimportant.  And I agreed with you. But you have not shown me that they lie.

It's not simply the fact that GLO is 'broken.' It's the exact nature of the 'breaks.' That's what supports evolution & common descent.

You realize that genes are generally a few thousand base pairs long (or longer), right? And you realize that there are many, many, many different genetic changes that can 'break' (inactivate) any given change?

So, if humans and other great apes all have an inactivated GLO gene, and the cause of the inactivation is virtually identical in all of them, that's evidence for evolution via common descent. Not proof. Evidence.

I do understand all this, yes.   I think my understanding is correct that human and ape genes are about 95% (or 97) similar.  My assumption would be that the inactivated GLO gene would likewise be approximately 95% (or 97 or whatever it really is) similar also.  Is this correct?  Or am I to understand that human and ape GLO is 100% IDENTICAL?  Can someone confirm this for me?

If the former is true, then to me it is clear that Dr. Max's assertion that this proves common descent is an OK guess, but it doesn't close the case.  One could just as easily say that apes and humans are separate designs and the GLO broke independently in each.  Why should we think it would not?  Apparently it did also break independently in guinea pigs.

And again, the 36% thing to me is a side issue.  What I am trying to show is simply that Renier said that Dr. Max said that the broken GLO in humans is exactly 100% the same as in apes.  Enter Dr. Max's copyright case. And yes, IF this is the situation we in fact have, then I would agree ... it looks like common descent.

What we can say is that evolution not only provides detailed, mechanistic explanations of the available data, is also accurately and reproducibly predicts new observations. Creationism does neither of those things. That's why evolution is science, and creationism is not. That's why evolution should be taught in science class, and creationism should not.
Creationism HAS provided many detailed explanations of the available data and has accurately predicted many things, including ubiquitous gaps in the fossil record and the inability to induce "good changes" or "vertical evolution" in fruit flies by "speeding up the evolutionary timescale." It has predicted a certain "fixity of kinds" and "downward evolution" (not "upward") (note we are using MY terminolgy here in which humans are "at the top" of the hierarchy and single celled organisms are at the bottom--this is my convention, of course, but I believe it to be a good convention which in many ways can be a useful organizational tool) which in fact has been observed--i.e.  our bodies continue to accumulate more and more harmful mutations and the bacteria are winning, among other things.  It hypothesized that coal does not require millions of years to form, but can be formed quite quickly.  This has now been shown.  It hypothesized that sedimentation such as that seen in the Grand Canyon is not formed gradually over millions of years, but is formed catastrophically.  This has now been proven at Mt. Saint Helens where there is a "miniature Grand Canyon which was not there before 1980.  Creationism and the idea of the the Curse has the only sensible description of human nature which lines up with what we actually observe.  And many other things which we have already begun to get into on my "Creator God Hypothesis" thread.

According to common design, the creator would have put broken copies of a gene in each species, copies that reflect the current phylogeny, built with coding genes. Why would he? A broken gene is not part of a design, it's useless.

Please see above.  Can you confirm that the broken GLO gene is 100% identical to the broken ape GLO gene?  If so, then I think you have something.

And what are your thoughts on the fact that AIG only referred to the 36% homology between guinea pigs and humans, but forgot to mention the 97% identity between us and chimpanzees? Silly mistake again?
No.  Just irrelevant to their discussion.  The whole Inai paper discussion (I think) is intended to show that "Guinea pigs GLO gene broke independently.  Why shouldn't apes and humans GLO gene ALSO break independently?  They may be trying to say something further than this also when they get into the pro-simian discussion and 36% etc., but I don't really follow that part of their argument.  They freely acknowledge elsewhere that there is great similarity in ape and human genes, so it is clear they are not trying to obfuscate.  They may think it will come in a bit less--maybe 90%--when more is known, but even if it stays at 95-97, this does no damage to their idea that apes and humans DO NOT share a common ancestor.  A house builder builds many houses that look similar--97% similar probably--but this is obviously because of a Common Designer, not Common Descent.

By the way, the 36% 'similarness' number comes from 47 out of 129 substitutions, i.e. 47/129=0.36.  I do have the complete Inai article, and they themselves say "A high percentage of the same substitutions in the total substitutions (36%) indicates that there were many hot spots for nucleotide substitution throughout the sequences examined." (Journal of Nutritional Science & Vitaminology, 2003, Vol. 49, Issue 5,p. 316).  This does not lead to any profound conclusions for me ... how about you?

I did not see anything in this article which would confirm 100% identicalness of human GLO to ape GLO.  Possibly some other article has this?

I keep asking, and you keep not answering: what, in the "common design theory", would have led Nishikimi to expect to find gulo homologs in humans and guinea pigs?"
To me it is quite conceivable that a Designer designed functional GLO genes in all the distinct "originally created kinds."  The fact that Human Designers make similar structures to perform similar function should have led Nishikimi to expect to find homologues in the natural world as well.  I don't think the genes have to be identical to be functional.  Just as several different codons can code for a particular protein (I think that's correct, right?--help me all you genetics experts). Similarly, in the English language, I can say I'm going to go grocery shopping in a variety of different ways ... "I'm going to go buy some food" and "I'm gonna drop by Safeway and restock our vittles" and "I'm going to go to town and get our pantry restocked" all communicate the same idea but with very different words.  There is no reason in my mind to think that the situation in genetics is any different than this.  

Apparently the fossil evidence, DNA sequence analysis, chromosome structure, and a coherent theory are not enough. What kind of proof would convince you?
100% identicalness of the GLO gene between apes and humans would be a good piece of evidence to me.  The whale evolution sequences presented to me are very unconvincing.  The chromosome thing is the best one I have been given yet, but again, considering the above discussion, why couldn't a Designer have used the '2A and 2B' chromosome info that he used for apes, modified it slightly by fusing it and a few other changes, then inserted this into the human genome?  Or vice versa.  Maybe He used Human chromosome 2, split it into two and put it into the chimp genome as 2A and 2B.  When an artist creates two pieces of artwork, they may be very similar, and the artist may reuse certain pieces of one in creating the other.  Certainly software 'artists' do this.  I've done this myself many times.  Why write a second program entirely from scratch when you can reuse some code snippets and save yourself some time?  Again, I am not saying here that I can prove this definitely happened.  I am just saying that it is perfectly plausible and exactly what we should expect from a Designer.  Some kind of 'upward evolution' (my definition of upward -- humans at the top, one-celled organisms at the bottom) in fruit flies would be impressive.  I think these experiments try to 'fast forward' evolution.  But all I've ever heard of is dead fruit flies, deformed fruit flies, etc.  Never 'advanced' fruit flies with major increased abilities.

Jeannot said ...  
Anyway, the percentage of identical substitutions between human and chimp is certainly well above 36%.
I would expect it to be around the same as the general genetic similarity -- 95-97%.  This would be consistent with Design Theory.

To check that, we should gather several sequences from rodents, primates (and maybe other mammals), if available, and build a maximum likelihood our parsimony phylogeny. The three sequences alone (rat, guinea pig and human) won't do.
Agreed.  Does anyone have a paper comparing human and chimp GLO, for example?  Is it 100% identical?  Or 95-97% as I predict.

...You know, it's a good thing creationists like Dave drop by from time to time and try to "enlighten" us: It helps us refresh things we had forgotten, learn things we didn't know, have constructive debates (such as this) we'd normally not have, and in the end appreciate science even more.
See ... even ugly, flea-bitten dogs are good for something ... to throw rocks at, kick when your mad, etc. :-)

Faid said ...  
Did I mention that this is fun?
Well ... at least I am contributing entertainment value to everyone if nothing else ... think of me a side show at the carnival that you didn't have to pay for!

Oh, I was there alright.  I actually read these posts on my Blackberry at church during the boring announcements.  I just have never tried posting from my Blackberry.

From what I hear, he's busy posting over at his newfound haven at UD right now. But I'm sure he'll be back...
Oh yes.  I'll be back.  I wouldn't call UD a haven.  Those guys all agree with me.  What fun is that?  I just thought I'd better spread the word about that fun quote from TO before someone at TO changes it to sound ... er ... less supportive of Creos.

And he has a website:
http://airdave.blogspot.com

He gets Warren Buffet quoting Jesus:
http://airdave.blogspot.com/2005....te.html

But he doesn't seem to know that Warren Buffet is an atheist, like Bill Gates and George Soros.
Oh I know he is.  That's irrelevant to me.  I posted this in response to a friend that maintains that you shouldn't be quoting Jesus at work.  My response was "Well, why not?  Warren Buffet does!"

While you are at my blog site, you guys HAVE to try my "Mist, Ghost or Computer Graphics?" link ... but turn your speakers up loud.

When did the split occur Dave? around the time of pharoah? Oh right you don't think there WAS a split. Interestingly, you sparked a conversation between two people who DO know what they are talking about and got some interesting info.
Of course.  I like it when this happens.  BTW, I did see your questions and I have good answers, but I'm on a particular train of thought and would like to answer them in my own sequence.  Did you read the latest page on my "God Hypo" thread?

--------------

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,07:42   

What kind of proof would convince you?

100% identicalness of the GLO gene between apes and humans would be a good piece of evidence to me.
But evolution doesn't predict 100% identity! So why would the fulfilling of a prediction that evolution doesn't make convince you of evolution? That doesn't make much sense, does it?

As for 95% being "consistent with common design"...  Your common designer hypothesis has your designer designing humans, chimps, apes, guinea pigs, rats, and earthworms. What is it about the "designer" hypothesis that predicts that the gulo pseudogene - or any other piece of DNA - would be closer between humans and chimps than between humans and earthworms? Face it: it's not the "common design" hypothesis that the 95% (or whatever it is) similarity is consistent with; it's observation. You're just saying, more or less explicitly, what we've known all along: the "common design" hypothesis is consistent with any and all (after the fact) observations, because it makes no predictions!

I can't imagine, for instance, what about 100% identity between human and chimp gulo would convince you. (In fact, you know as well as I do it wouldn't.) Why would that not just another instance of "common design"?

--------------

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,07:43   

I would expect it to be around the same as the general genetic similarity -- 95-97%.  This would be consistent with Design Theory.
Please explain how design theory predicts this and common descent does not. Why does evolution predict that the sequences would be 100% identical?

I am just saying that it is perfectly plausible and exactly what we should expect from a Designer.
You have to show us why common design is more likely.

I just thought I'd better spread the word about that fun quote from TO before someone at TO changes it to sound ... er ... less supportive of Creos.
You seem to be confusing TalkOrigins with Uncommon Descent.

You have shown me that Dr. Wieland was uninformed about transcription direction being unimportant.  And I agreed with you. But you have not shown me that they lie.
He made a bold statement claiming to have discovered something every other geneticist in the world had missed when he must have known he was ignorant of even the most basic facts, and that his audience would believe him over everyone else. This is at best dishonest.

Just as several different codons can code for a particular protein (I think that's correct, right?--help me all you genetics experts).
Codons code for amino acids. This isn't something only genetics experts know, it is something anyone who claims to refute genetics should know.

685 replies since May 08 2006,03:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (23) < ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]