RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (40) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   
  Topic: Vox Day: Alpha Fail., Rich veins of untapped Tard< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,17:39   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,18:25)
Quote (Badger3k @ Jan. 23 2011,16:58)
Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,15:24)

Quote (Dale_Husband @ Jan. 23 2011,14:31)

Quote (MadPanda @ FCD,Jan. 21 2011,18:48)

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 21 2011,16:01)
I can't go tell PZ, Rich, he banned my ass years ago.  He doesn't allow dissent.

The first sentence is true.  The second sentence is so obviously false that anyone with a working conscience must blush to see the accusation made: the troll was invited to leave for being trollish, not merely for dissenting.  (Hint: there are practicing Xians who have earned the OM designation, some of whom have been known to tell Dr. Myers that he's full of it.  Funny how they haven't been hit with the banhammer yet.)

So, FTK, since you seem to think that abortion is a bad thing, what mandatory minimum sentence would you embrace for women seeking to terminate problematic pregnancies?

You, Biggy, what's the difference?

The MadPanda, FCD

It seems that the issue for anti-abortion fanatics is that they see premarital sex as a sin and thus things like pregnancy and STDs for unmarried girls and women are a punishment for those who sin.

That, in my opinion, degrades the value of children as much as abortion does.

No, I would disagree that anti-abortion "fanatics" are *against abortion* because they know that premarital sex is a sin.  Nor, do I look at STD's as punishment.  Also, I might add that I, myself, was not a virgin when I married and looking back, I can see the value of being abstinent until marriage. Although, I'd agree that this is a very difficult thing to do, but not impossible.  

Abortion should not be considered birth control, and that is how I see people using it (1).  There are plenty of options out there for birth control.  I don't have any opinion about whether abortion should be legalized or not.  Every woman has to make this choice, I would just hope that they make it wisely.  Personally, I don't think the government should be involved in the issue at all.  

There is a reason why God advises one man/one woman (2).  He is the creator....he knows how we were created to live so that we can live life to the fullest.  Promiscuity leads to endless problems as well as disease.  It's not how we were created to live.  It also tends to make marriage to one person more difficult if people have become accustomed to sleeping with whomever makes us feel good at present.  God didn't make rules to make us miserable, but to help us live healthier life styles.  There are endless stories in the Bible that show what happens when biblical figures had multiple wives or cheated on their spouses.  Good never came of it.   So, it's not God looking down at us and not permitting us to enjoy life by being promiscuous or punishing us for doing so, but rather he is providing us with the forumla for happy healthy relationships.

Bolding mine.

(1) This is the problem.  You think this is how people are using it, but in 43 years of life, I've never met, seen, or heard of anyone who actually sees it like this, short of anti-choice fanatics.  It's a talking point, a way of reducing the person making the choice to someone you can spit on and feel superior to.  It completely ignores reality, even though you seem to realize it on one level.  I do find it odd that you have no opinion whether it should be legalized or not, yet you say that every woman has to make that choice and that the government should not be involved.  Sounds pro-choice to me.

(2) Except for all that Old Testament polygamy thing.  And the forced "marriages" of captured virgins to the people who killed their families.  Marriage to rapists.  Yeah, God must have changed his mind, then.  Like so much else in the Big Book of Multiple Excuses...

Mhmm...okay, just my opinion again...

Let me clarify just a bit regarding using abortion as birth control.  I don't believe that a woman, when she is making love with someone without protection, is thinking "oh, what the hell, if anything happens, I'll have an abortion".  

But, I think that with the rate of abortions we see today, subconsciously, we know there is a way to rid of an unwanted pregnancy if all else fails.  

Let me just add, that this is something that comes to anyone's mind regardless of religion if you are in the that position.  Since it has been legalized by the government, there is ample opportunity to get abortions and I'd bet that abortion numbers are WAY up in comparision to before abortions were legal.  Im sure promiscuity is way up as well.  There is always a way out of it.  And, even people who have been brought up knowing that abortion is wrong may take this avenue because it appears initially as the easy way out.  It's something many regret.  I remember thinking about it myself several months ago, when I thought I might be pregnant.  Im 45...that would not be cool.  All kinds of things crossed my mind.  I think by making abortion so readily available, we kill millions of children every year, when much, much better options are out there.

As for OT polygamy, God did not advise this as a way to live.  It was what was going on at the time.  Many, many wrong or evil things occured historically in the Bible that were not dictated by God.  Yes, there are those *very* few incidences in the OT where God commands something that seems to go against the grain. I cannot answer for God....I don't know all the circumstances, and I cannot know His mind. Overall, the Bible is *very consistent* in God's commands.  There are endless arguments as to how one can justify God's actions in these few circumstances, but in the end, I'll have lots of questions for Him when I hit the pearly gates.   Creation 101 is on the top of my list.

My mother told me that her mother had several abortions back in the 1930s (something about the Depression). She was married. Was she a promiscuous slut? Or just as woman trying to survive?

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,17:41   

delete duplicate

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

-JoeG

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,17:41   

You know what, Stanton, in '09 in Kansas alone, there were approx. 9,500 abortions.  I'm finding it very hard to believe that the mother/and or children were all in jeopardy due to child birth. "Therapeutic" can mean virtually anything.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,17:43   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,18:41)
You know what, Stanton, in '09 in Kansas alone, there were approx. 9,500 abortions.  I'm finding it very hard to believe that the mother/and or children were all in jeopardy due to child birth. "Therapeutic" can mean virtually anything.

It can mean I'll kill myself if I can't get it removed.

--------------

-JoeG

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,17:43   

Quote (khan @ Jan. 23 2011,17:41)
delete duplicate

Khan, I can't answer that.  It's not my place to judge...that is God's job, and he is a very forgiving God.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,17:46   

Quote (khan @ Jan. 23 2011,17:43)

With counseling for the emotional state, it could be removed through natural birth and placed with another family would could better care for it.  9 months isn't a lifetime.

--------------

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,17:47   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,18:46)

With counseling for the emotional state, it could be removed through natural birth and placed with another family would could better care for it.  9 months isn't a lifetime.

Oh shit!
A forced-birther spotted in the wild.

--------------

-JoeG

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,17:49   

Quote (khan @ Jan. 23 2011,17:47)

Oh shit!
A forced-birther spotted in the wild.

It's an option.

--------------

Dale_Husband

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,17:49   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,17:46)

Gee, your idiocy and lack of empathy for pregnant women, especially rape and incest victims, just becomes all the more obvious.

--------------
If you need a man-made book to beleive in a God who is said to have created the universe, of what value is your faith? You might as well worship an idol.

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:03   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,17:29)
Quote (Stanton @ Jan. 23 2011,17:20)
What I've seen for a long time is that virtually all of the anti-abortion proponents I've encountered neither understand nor care that the primary reasons for abortions are for medical/therapeutic reasons, and not for birth control.

From what I've seen, all they want is for Jesus to have yet another boot-licking minion to boss and kick around; the babies' literally suffering mother be literally damned for all they care.

I've read the statistics many times.  You're wrong, and if you believe your justified in your response, please provided statistics.  Maybe I've missed something.

Like you'd honestly bother to look at any statistic I provided.  As for the statistics you're providing: did you check and find out what reasons those women had for having abortions, or did you just automatically assume that the sole reason was they hate Jesus?

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:05   

Quote (Dale_Husband @ Jan. 23 2011,17:49)

Gee, your idiocy and lack of empathy for pregnant women, especially rape and incest victims, just becomes all the more obvious.

You now what?  My aunt (actually my cousin) was the result of what occured due to rape.  My grandmother raised my aunt's daughter as her own.  

She is a wonderful person...is always helping others.  She lives by Mayo hospital and before my Dad passed away, she let us use her home for whatever we needed on our trips back and forth to Mayo.  She does that for many people since she lives so close to the hospital.  

I can't say enough good things about this woman.  I think about all the people who would not have received her love and kindness if her mother had opted to abort her due to a horrible incident such as rape.  Rape doesn't make the child a horrible person by any means, and it didn't ruin my aunt's life to have her.

--------------

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:05   

Quote (Dale_Husband @ Jan. 23 2011,18:49)

How many of those hundreds of thousands of precious ones in foster care has she adopted?

--------------

-JoeG

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:06   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,17:41)

So, where did you find out that all of these abortions were done specifically to spite Jesus?  One of those websites that orders fellow Christians go out and murder abortion clinic doctors, their co-workers and their families?

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:10   

So, is that what you'd suggest for, say, a 9 year old rape victim?  Even though her doctors said that she would probably literally die by the 7th month because her body is just not big or developed to bear children?  That she should just have counseling?

Or, what about a woman whose pregnancy is causing her lungs to fill up with fluid?

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:12   

Quote (Stanton @ Jan. 23 2011,18:03)
What I've seen for a long time is that virtually all of the anti-abortion proponents I've encountered neither understand nor care that the primary reasons for abortions are for medical/therapeutic reasons, and not for birth control.

From what I've seen, all they want is for Jesus to have yet another boot-licking minion to boss and kick around; the babies' literally suffering mother be literally damned for all they care.

I've read the statistics many times.  You're wrong, and if you believe your justified in your response, please provided statistics.  Maybe I've missed something.

Like you'd honestly bother to look at any statistic I provided.  As for the statistics you're providing: did you check and find out what reasons those women had for having abortions, or did you just automatically assume that the sole reason was they hate Jesus?

None of this has anything to do with hating Jesus.

--------------

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:13   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,18:05)
Quote (Dale_Husband @ Jan. 23 2011,17:49)

You now what?  My aunt (actually my cousin) was the result of what occured due to rape.  My grandmother raised my aunt's daughter as her own.  

She is a wonderful person...is always helping others.  She lives by Mayo hospital and before my Dad passed away, she let us use her home for whatever we needed on our trips back and forth to Mayo.  She does that for many people since she lives so close to the hospital.  

I can't say enough good things about this woman.  I think about all the people who would not have received her love and kindness if her mother had opted to abort her due to a horrible incident such as rape.  Rape doesn't make the child a horrible person by any means, and it didn't ruin my aunt's life to have her.

So you're saying we should deny rape victims from having any abortion or other forms of post-sex contraception?  That, there is the off-chance that the baby conceived of this woman's violation of her very being might be a wonderful person?

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:16   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,18:12)

Then how come all other anti-abortion proponents say otherwise?  Why is it that pro-lifers always talk about how their God-hating enemies want to abort every single pregnancy in order to spite Jesus?

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:19   

Clitoral tearing, 4 way episiotomies, preeclampsia, dystocia, hyperemesis gravidarum ...

--------------

-JoeG

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:19   

So, do you know what the reasons for these 9,500 abortions were for Kansas of 2009, or are you trying to imply it was done solely for birth control and hating Jesus?

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:23   

Quote (khan @ Jan. 23 2011,18:05)
Quote (Dale_Husband @ Jan. 23 2011,18:49)

How many of those hundreds of thousands of precious ones in foster care has she adopted?

In this day and age, there no reason whatsoever that there should be hundreds and thousands of children to be adopted.  

Stop abortion, practise birth control.  It's simple.  

All this to do about abortion should just be silenced on both sides.  Birth control should be taught as well as abstinence.  Preferably, parents should get their act together and talk to their children...keep an eye out for them and what they are involved in.  And, schools should teach birth control, and they do.  Abstinence should be #1 on the list, imho.  But, by all means teach the rest of it.  That doesn't mean we need to bring out teh bananas and pass out the condoms or give out birth control pills.  

Children shouldn't be having sex...if they are mature enough to have it, they should be mature enough to go get the protection they need, not have it given to them like candy.  We need to teach our kids responsibility early on.  I've told both mine everything about sex, and I've told them the best is to abstain, but for goodness sakes, if you're getting into situations that you can't control.....GET BIRTH CONTROL.

The media certainly doesn't help, and attitudes like SD are harmful as well, because it makes kids feel that, to be the stud muffin, they have to have years of practise and multiple partners to enjoy sex.  Ridiculous and unhealthy.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:25   

Quote (Stanton @ Jan. 23 2011,18:06)

So, where did you find out that all of these abortions were done specifically to spite Jesus?  One of those websites that orders fellow Christians go out and murder abortion clinic doctors, their co-workers and their families?

Good grief, where do you come up with these statements?  This has nothing to do with Jesus.  God can forgive any sin.  This is about life...the life of a child.  There are better options...

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:31   

Quote (Stanton @ Jan. 23 2011,18:10)

So, is that what you'd suggest for, say, a 9 year old rape victim?  Even though her doctors said that she would probably literally die by the 7th month because her body is just not big or developed to bear children?  That she should just have counseling?

Or, what about a woman whose pregnancy is causing her lungs to fill up with fluid?

Stanton,

These are very unusual predictaments.  This is not the norm.  I firmly believe that if a mother is at the point of having to chose life over death due to childbirth, I think God would be forgiving of letting the child come back to Him.  That does not mean that I would suggest terminating the pregnancy at the start.  I've seen very small women give birth with little complications.  Aborting the child might leave more emotional scars than the physical scars of actually having it.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:38   

Quote (Stanton @ Jan. 23 2011,18:16)

Then how come all other anti-abortion proponents say otherwise?  Why is it that pro-lifers always talk about how their God-hating enemies want to abort every single pregnancy in order to spite Jesus?

Hmmm...I think these type of people are a minority.  This sounds more like hatred for people who are not Christian or who have made choices you disagree with.  That is not what biblical Christianity is about, and it is NOT our place to judge...that is God's job.  But, it is our right to hold our Christian values and share them with others.  It's not intolerance, it's sharing a perspective that we believe is of benefit to others.  We aren't the only ones who share are perspectives....people of all creeds do that regardless of whether they are Christian or not.

--------------

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:38   

Good grief, where do you come up with these statements?  This has nothing to do with Jesus.  God can forgive any sin.  This is about life...the life of a child.  There are better options...

I find them coming out of the mouths of pro-lifers, the Roman Catholic Church and fundamentalist demagogues.

From what I've seen of them, they don't care about the benefit or the condition of the mother at all: if it meant denying an abortion, they'd let her die in agony.

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:41   

Quote (khan @ Jan. 23 2011,18:19)

Clitoral tearing, 4 way episiotomies, preeclampsia, dystocia, hyperemesis gravidarum ...

It's all worth it for the life of a child....and most women won't have to deal with all that.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:44   

Quote (Stanton @ Jan. 23 2011,18:38)

I find them coming out of the mouths of pro-lifers, the Roman Catholic Church and fundamentalist demagogues.

From what I've seen of them, they don't care about the benefit or the condition of the mother at all: if it meant denying an abortion, they'd let her die in agony.

Well, shame on them then.  That is not how Christ would respond.

--------------

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:44   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,19:31)

Stanton,

These are very unusual predictaments.  This is not the norm.  I firmly believe that if a mother is at the point of having to chose life over death due to childbirth, [b}I think God would be forgiving of letting the child come back to Him.  That does not mean that I would suggest terminating the pregnancy at the start.  I've seen very small women give birth with little complications.  Aborting the child might leave more emotional scars than the physical scars of actually having it.[/b]

Who are you to decide what I (or any other woman) should do with her uterus?

I assure you that your gods have nothing to do with fertilization.

--------------

-JoeG

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:48   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,19:25)

So are your gods smart enough to not implant 'souls' into fertilized eggs that he/she/it/one of them knew wouldn't make it to birth?

--------------

-JoeG

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:48   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,18:31)

Stanton,

These are very unusual predictaments.  This is not the norm.  I firmly believe that if a mother is at the point of having to chose life over death due to childbirth, I think God would be forgiving of letting the child come back to Him.  That does not mean that I would suggest terminating the pregnancy at the start.  I've seen very small women give birth with little complications.  Aborting the child might leave more emotional scars than the physical scars of actually having it.

That's not what the Roman Catholic Church, or any of the churches in the US say.

When this one 9 year old girl was pregnant with twins due to her stepfather repeatedly raping her, her doctors stated that, if she were to attempt to carry her twins to term, she would undoubtedly die because her body was not fully developed to handle pregnancy: and the off chance that she wouldn't die, she would still be rendered totally sterile, and either way, the twins would never survive.  When the girl was given an abortion, the Cardinal of Brazil excommunicated her mother and her doctors for doing that.  The Vatican still considers her stepfather a good, upstanding member of the Church, though, because he's never performed any abortions.

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2011,18:53   

Quote (khan @ Jan. 23 2011,18:44)
Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 23 2011,19:31)

Stanton,

These are very unusual predictaments.  This is not the norm.  I firmly believe that if a mother is at the point of having to chose life over death due to childbirth, [b}I think God would be forgiving of letting the child come back to Him.  That does not mean that I would suggest terminating the pregnancy at the start.  I've seen very small women give birth with little complications.  Aborting the child might leave more emotional scars than the physical scars of actually having it.[/b]

Who are you to decide what I (or any other woman) should do with her uterus?

I assure you that your gods have nothing to do with fertilization.

Khan, I think I stated early on that I'm not going to "decide" what you or any woman does "with her uterus".  I can't force anyone to do anything.  I wouldn't vote either way on an abortion bill.  It's a tricky subject obviously, and all I can do is give my opinion.

--------------

1187 replies since July 31 2008,17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (40) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]