RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (63) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... >   
  Topic: Presidential Politics & Antievolution, Tracking the issue< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 14 2008,15:40   

duel/dual, piranha/pariah, whatev...

:p  :p  :p

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 14 2008,15:41   

Oh, snap...

My friggin' emotican didn't work...

:p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p

There we go!!!!

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 14 2008,16:36   

Quote (Ftk @ Sep. 14 2008,21:40)
duel/dual, piranha/pariah, whatev...

:p  :p  :p

6000/4600000000, handwaving crap pulled out of the rectums of religious apologists/mountains of actual scientific data whatev....

Louis

P.S. What's with this "oh snap" stuff? The only place I've heard it is on "My Name Is Earl", and it's the trashy trailer park ex wife who says it. That similarity I get, the one problem is she is quite hot....

--------------
Bye.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 14 2008,21:53   

Lipstick on a Wing Nut

Katha Pollitt poses ten questions for Sarah Palin (after a brutal but clean body check into the boards). The ones of particular interest to this board quoted below.

Quote (Katha Pollitt @ The Nation, September 10, 2008)

• You say you don't believe global warming is man-made. Could you tell us what scientists you've spoken with or read who have led you to that conclusion? What do you think the 2,500 scientists of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change are getting wrong?

• If you didn't try to fire Wasilla librarian Mary Ellen Baker over her refusal to consider censoring books, why did you try to fire her?

• Approximately how old is the earth? Five thousand years? 10,000? 5 billion?

• You're suing the federal government to have polar bears removed from the endangered species list, even as Alaska's northern coastal ice is melting and falling into the sea. Can you explain the science behind your decision?

• You've suggested that God approves of the Iraq War and the Alaska pipeline. How do you know?

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 14 2008,21:55   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 14 2008,17:36)
P.S. What's with this "oh snap" stuff?

It's kiddie slang. My fourteen year old son uses it.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 14 2008,22:24   

So does PZ  :O  :O

I dare ya to say that to him.... :p

Actually, I'm working on replacing my crude words with more lady-like language.  So, while I'd usually say "shit", I tried substituting with "snap".   "Friggin'" = "fuckin"...you get the idea.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 14 2008,22:32   

hey FtK why don't you work on correcting your abysmal misunderstandings of science instead of fretting about your sinful potty mouth.  

besides jesus said if you consider it in your heart you might as well have done it.  so.... friggin' aint getting you very far, hon.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 14 2008,22:32   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Sep. 14 2008,22:53)
Lipstick on a Wing Nut

I put my response on the FtK thread.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,02:49   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Sep. 15 2008,03:55)
Quote (Louis @ Sep. 14 2008,17:36)
P.S. What's with this "oh snap" stuff?

Your 14 year old son is the hot ex wife lady from My Name Is Earl?

Whoa. You Americans, you have everything! USA USA USA!!!!!!

Wait....have I misunderstood something?

Louis

P.S. FTK: Dare us to say what to PZ? You want us to take the piss out of him more than we already do? You have a strange idea of what people's relationships are. Just because you idolise priests and pastors doesn't mean a) everyone who is idolised is a priest or pastor, or b) that other people idolise anyone. Get your husband to give you some cash so you can run down to the corner store and buy yourself a clue.

--------------
Bye.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,17:23   

Inevitably, his work brought him into conflict with Palin and other highly politicized Christian fundamentalists in the valley. "Things got very intense around here in the '90s -- the culture war was very hot here," Bess said. "The evangelicals were trying to take over the valley. They took over the school board, the community hospital board, even the local electric utility. And Sarah Palin was in the direct center of all these culture battles, along with the churches she belonged to."

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/15/bess/

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,19:54   

Another valley activist, Philip Munger, says that Palin also helped push the evangelical drive to take over the Mat-Su Borough school board. "She wanted to get people who believed in creationism on the board," said Munger, a music composer and teacher. "I bumped into her once after my band played at a graduation ceremony at the Assembly of God. I said, 'Sarah, how can you believe in creationism -- your father's a science teacher.' And she said, 'We don't have to agree on everything.'

"I pushed her on the earth's creation, whether it was really less than 7,000 years old and whether dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time. And she said yes, she'd seen images somewhere of dinosaur fossils with human footprints in them."

Linky

bystander

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,20:21   

The media (via the internet) certainly doesn't like Palin, although she has given them a lot to choose from. I had a quick look at Fox and they aren't criticising her but they aren't gushing over her either.

The creationism bit was interesting, like global warming she has gone vague on her beliefs since the nomination.

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,20:50   

I'm not trying to be a jerk by posting this.  I know you guys are worried that Palin might stop science in it's tracks so you won't vote for the McCain ticket, but I wonder what if any of you guys worry about the stuff in this clip about Obama.  I've heard these issues mentioned in the past, and it seems a bit worrisome to me.  

Honestly, I don't have anything against Obama.  During the start of the campaigns I actually leaned his direction.  I even posted postive youtube stuff at my blog.  But, as time went on, I started hearing things that freaked me out just a bit.

I've no doubt that all the candidates have skeletons in there closet, but some of these things about Obama worry me a bit.

What do you guys think?

Yes, we need to get past the the stupid scare tactics in the clip (eerie music, etc.), but is there need to worry about this stuff?

--------------

Art

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,21:04   

Quote (Ftk @ Sep. 15 2008,20:50)
I'm not trying to be a jerk by posting this.  I know you guys are worried that Palin might stop science in it's tracks so you won't vote for the McCain ticket, but I wonder what if any of you guys worry about the stuff in this clip about Obama.  I've heard these issues mentioned in the past, and it seems a bit worrisome to me.  

Honestly, I don't have anything against Obama.  During the start of the campaigns I actually leaned his direction.  I even posted postive youtube stuff at my blog.  But, as time went on, I started hearing things that freaked me out just a bit.

I've no doubt that all the candidates have skeletons in there closet, but some of these things about Obama worry me a bit.

What do you guys think?

Yes, we need to get past the the stupid scare tactics in the clip (eerie music, etc.), but is there need to worry about this stuff?

In a word, no.

Ftk, you're so gullible.  You probably still think Harry Truman was a mob flunkie to the very end.

(Actually, odds are that you don't even get my allusion.)

Timothy McDougald

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,21:08   

Quote (Ftk @ Sep. 15 2008,20:50)

What do you guys think?

Typical Republican slime machine in action. Me personally, I'm more worried about this.

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,21:09   

Quote (Ftk @ Sep. 15 2008,21:50)
I know you guys are worried that Palin might stop science in it's tracks

Anybody here remember saying this?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,21:14   

According to FreeRepublic, the thing to really worry about is blacks rioting and burning everything down if Obama loses. They suggest buying a gun.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,21:38   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 15 2008,21:14)
According to FreeRepublic, the thing to really worry about is blacks rioting and burning everything down if Obama loses. They suggest buying a gun.

Depends, doesn't it, on whether the loss would be perceived as due to racism. There's a lot of talk about otherwise solid Democrats not being willing to vote for a black candidate.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,22:36   

Yes, of course.  I'd forgotten that Republicans are constantly working those giant "slime machines" in order to sway the gullible masses to vote for them.  I'm sure  there's not a thing in that video that's even close to being accurate...silly me to have even considered that Obama is anything less than the Messiah himself.  

And, I'm sure you'd be very hard pressed to find a Democrat who has misrepresented Palin....no spin doctors on your side of the fence.  

*eyes rolling*

I wonder who's the more guillible...

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,22:41   

Oh, I think racisim would definitely be a part of an Obama loss. While the GOP has primarily been the home of white racists since the 60's, it wasn't a 100% complete relocation, and there are some racist Democrats.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 15 2008,22:49   

FTK I can't use Youtube at the moment. If you have some important, meaningful accusation against Obama, could you just come right out and make it. I'm guessing it's one of those 'Obama knew someone years ago who did something bad years ago' pieces of junk. Hopefully it'll be something amusing instead, like that recent 'Obama dealt drugs from Pakistan' BS.

(The absolute highlight for me was the Clinton years, when my rural republican relatives tried to convince me that Clinton was a murdering rapist, who ran drugs through Mena airport, and was going to use Y2K as a bogus event to declare martial law and have the US occupied by hidden Chinese soldiers.)

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,06:08   

Quote (Ftk @ Sep. 15 2008,22:36)

Funny. I don't.

Do you need a clue?

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,06:37   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 15 2008,22:41)
Oh, I think racisim would definitely be a part of an Obama loss. While the GOP has primarily been the home of white racists since the 60's, it wasn't a 100% complete relocation, and there are some racist Democrats.

Actually I know quite a few (~30) white racists, or at least those that display all the generally accepted outward signs of racism, and each and everyone, to the man, is a Democrat.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,07:19   

Quote (Ftk @ Sep. 16 2008,04:36)
[SNIP]

Oh I don't wonder about that, I imagine when all is averaged out whatever ever groupings you chose to select are all about equally gullible. The trick is to KNOW you're gullible, try very hard to prevent yourself being fooled by the same tricks (the old adage about "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" springs to mind), and generally start from a position of interested scepticism* when provided with any novel claim. This works for science as it does in politics.

What frustrates me about this whole debacle (from the notroversy about evolutionary biology to the current presidential race) is the pointless identity politics. "Vote for Palin because she's like you", "Don't let those athiestic science professors tell you about science believe me 'cos Jesus said so" etc. It's not only pointless crapola, it's a distraction from the REAL point: the evidence. In many cases (though by no means all) even in politics, the evidence points clearly to a solution for a variety of problems. Even when it doesn;t one can form one's choice of vote around the issues, how well they are formulated and how consistent they are with the available evidence etc. The tragedy for me is that because this involves some tiny bit of effort and research, even many intelligent, hard working people avoid doing it.

And it isn't restricted to the USA, I'd like to say that the UK is "getting like the USA" but in this "identity politics" respect it isn't. It already IS like the USA. The difference is quite an interesting one though. Just like those nice rabid fundamentalist christians glare across at those wicked rabid fundamentalist muslims and think "Gosh, isn't it OBVIOUS how dumb these ideas are? Don't they SEE it?" the nice rabid fundamentalist muslims are looking right back at the wicked rabid fundamentalist christians and thinking the same thing. This also works without the words "muslim", "christian", "rabid" or "fundamentalist". Insert your own term for kicks! The same applies "Don't those liberals realise how stupid they are?" "Don't those conservatives get it?" people are so tied up in labels and groups that the wood cannot be seen for the trees. I don't care if Sarah Palin or Barack Obama or Joe Biden or John McCain or Gordon Brown or Charles Clarke or whoever is like me (and I guarantee you they aren't), I don't care if their black, white, gay, straight, male, female, religious, irreligious, the next messiah or satan in a fucking kaftan. It's all a tiresome irrelevance. Their policies DO matter, what they will DO matters. Whether they went on Saturday Night Live and fucked a chicken, or what Conan O'Brian, Bill Donohue, Johnathon Ross, Richard Littlejohn or anyone else thinks of them is irrelevant. Even if these candidates WERE you, a clone of you, they are in a very different environment from you. They grew up differently, they are in Westminster or Washington or wherever, a world apart from where YOU are.

Wanking on about who is more gullible or who is more like who or who will be ousted by racism is playing the very game these people want you to play.

The one thing guaranteed to maintain the status quo is to continue playing into their hands. You want to talk about who is more gullible FTK? Who cares? One thing I know is that you, me, everyone needs to look close to home FIRST. That's where this stuff always begins. Complain about other people's gullibility when yours is sorted out. And considering you think the world is either 10k years old or 4.6 billion but you can't yet make up your mind, and you think Walt's Whacky World of Weirdness bears any resemblance to observable reality, I'd say you have a LOT of work to do. Ignore the identity politics, focus on self improvement.

Rant over, you have annoyed me enough.

Louis

*NOT hostile cynicism, the two are different, despite the whining of various stripes of believer.

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,07:23   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,12:37)

Actually I know quite a few (~30) white racists, or at least those that display all the generally accepted outward signs of racism, and each and everyone, to the man, is a Democrat.

Yeah, well I know 60 paedophile, nun killing, racist, homophobic, sexist, arms dealering anti-semites, all of whom vote Republican and Conservative AND BNP and Nazi, all of whom were responsible for the Holocaust all of whom believe in YOUR specific sect of religious drivel and all of whom attend YOUR church and were cloned from YOUR big toenail clippings.

And the useful productive discussion of the issues in that was where?

Heddle, for an intelligent and educated bloke, you sure do have some mightily fucked up mental blinkers.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,07:38   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 16 2008,07:23)

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,12:37)

Yeah, well I know 60 paedophile, nun killing, racist, homophobic, sexist, arms dealering anti-semites, all of whom vote Republican and Conservative AND BNP and Nazi, all of whom were responsible for the Holocaust all of whom believe in YOUR specific sect of religious drivel and all of whom attend YOUR church and were cloned from YOUR big toenail clippings.

And the useful productive discussion of the issues in that was where?

Heddle, for an intelligent and educated bloke, you sure do have some mightily fucked up mental blinkers.

Louis

Louis,

No I'm quite serious. And I actually do not know, personally, any Republican racists. I'm not stupid enough to say there are none, I just do not know any, personally, while I personally know, as I stated, ~30 racists (or maybe not, you decide) who are Democrats.

The explanation is actually quite simple. I grew up in a lower middle class (perhaps poor is more accurate) inner-city neighborhood, in Pittsburgh’s Northside region, for those who know the city. (The stadiums are in this area.) My neighborhood and schools were racially divided, a little more that half were black. To first order, everyone in this environment grows up a racist. It’s an “us vs. them” world that if you grew up in the lilly-white suburbs (like my kids are) you’d never understand. If you had to get from point A to B, you performed a risk analysis/optimization that took into account variables like, time of day, time of year, how many people were with you, how fast you just had to get there, what streets you had to cross, and most importantly, the prevailing neighborhood atmosphere at the moment.  If there had been a recent black v. white incident, the chance of another was much greater.

Again, to first order, there are only two ways out of this that I know of: religion (virtually any common variety with ethical teachings will suffice) and/or education. Fortunately I got both.

The last reunion I went to was a couple summers ago. Of the thirty or forty close friends I grew up with, only five or six of us had “gotten out.” (Another oddity for suburbanites—as kids didn’t drive to a field and play soccer with strangers, we played with the same kids, every day, year in year out. You could be in a fistfight at noon and best friends again an hour later.)

What about the rest of my friends, who didn’t get out? The rest are Pittsburgh policemen, firemen, and other blue collar workers. Many (because of their fathers) are in the Boilermakers union (welders) or Sheet Metal Workers (duct workers) or are union glaziers.

Now, after a few Iron City beers, actually it doesn’t take that much, these guys will unleash a torrent of complaints with generous application of the N-word. I didn’t get promoted because they gave it to some F**king N***… If my daughter came home with a N***,… This sort of thing.

The only other group they lash out upon with comparable animosity are the “party of the rich” Republicans. Like their union daddies before them, they are staunch, die-hard, union Democrats.

Now to be sure I don’t know if these guys, or at least if all these guys, in spite of talking the talk, are really racists. Like many people with a tough life they look for a scapegoat. And unless you’ve walked in their shoes, unless you grew up in an “us vs. them” hostile environment, you really can’t judge their attitudes. It is more complex than it is made out to be. I think the most accurate portrayal I’ve ever seen is Matt Dillion in Crash. Was he a racist or not? It’s hard to say.

Now, do you actually have a plausible story about knowing, personally, " 60 paedophile, nun killing, racist, homophobic, sexist, arms dealering anti-semites, all of whom vote Republican" ? If so, let's have it.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,08:08   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,13:38)
[SNIP tiresomely irrelevant life history]

Now, do you actually have a plausible story about knowing, personally, " 60 paedophile, nun killing, racist, homophobic, sexist, arms dealering anti-semites, all of whom vote Republican" ? If so, let's have it.

Of course I don't, it was deliberate hyperbole, which, if you cannot spot it (when telegraphed that seriously) is a worrying deficiency on your part.

I do know plenty of conservative (UK right wing-ish party) voting racists, labour (UK centre-right wing-ish party) voting racists, plenty of educated racists, plenty of American racists of both parties from when I lived there, plenty of uneducated racists, voting middle class racists, working class racists, even (based on my schooling) incredibly upper class racists, atheist racists, religious racists, handicapped racists, able bodied racists etc etc etc. I know an ironically diverse set of racists, some I'm related to, some I'm acquainted with, some I work with. And the question remains.....SO WHAT?

As usual, you've played into the identity politics and missed my point. You're sufficiently mathematically capable (vastly more than I am for example) to understand the error prone nature of small, biased sample sizes. You're sufficiently intelligent to realise that playing these silly identity games is utterly meaningless when it comes to producing useful results from politics. And you should be sufficiently aware enough to realise that your comment, whilst its utterly unverifiable plausibility or lack thereof is yet another irrelevance, was yet another in group/out group red herring in a sea over stocked with that species of fish.

The point is not that there are naughty people on the other side, there are naughty people everywhere. I voted Lib Dem at the last election and I guarantee you that somewhere a Lib Dem voter is a paedophile. Great! What have we learned from that? Something new? Something profound? Or is it merely what we already knew about humans i.e. their less desirable traits (as well as their more desirable traits) are distributed pretty evenly across most of the relatively arbitrary groups we care to make. Rocket science this is not.

So like I said to FTK, why keep playing into the hands of the corrupt elements of government by giving both tongue and credence to this cretinous identity politics? Instead of a) doing nothing, b) having some fun, c) contributing seriously) or d) actually bothering to make an examinable and useful contribution you have plumbed for e) irrelevant identity politics. Is that a productive use of your education and intellect regarding a serious issue? Nope. Is it yet another whiny datum in the ages old exchange of ad hominem and tu quoque fallacies between slightly differing groups? Yes.

YOU can do better, so do it.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,08:27   

Louis,

The point is not that there are naughty people on the other side, there are naughty people everywhere

No that is not the point. At least not the point I'm concerned with. Who would argue that there are not bad guys everywhere? I was responding, specifically, to steve s's comment:

While the GOP has primarily been the home of white racists since the 60's, it wasn't a 100% complete relocation, and there are some racist Democrats.

Am I parsing that wrong? Is it not true that the message it sends is that the majority, even the vast majority, of white racists are Republicans?

Well when I think of actual white racists, I think of where I grew up, and where I grew up is overwhelmingly Democrat.

So I don't see how I missed the point. I provided the life history, which you can believe or not I don't care, as an explanation after your, um, rebuttal about knowing Republican pedophiles. You seemed to imply, as I read it, that I could not possibly have an explanation for my claim, and then you dismiss that explanation as irrelevant.

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,08:39   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,08:27)
I was responding, specifically, to steve s's comment:

While the GOP has primarily been the home of white racists since the 60's, it wasn't a 100% complete relocation, and there are some racist Democrats.

Am I parsing that wrong? Is it not true that the message it sends is that the majority, even the vast majority, of white racists are Republicans?

Dave, Google up "Nixon southern strategy" to see the point of what Steve was getting at. In short, Louis is right (and it pains me to no end to say that).  You seem to be assuming that your limited experience with racists is typical. It is not.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,08:53   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Sep. 16 2008,08:39)

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,08:27)
I was responding, specifically, to steve s's comment:

Dave, Google up "Nixon southern strategy" to see the point of what Steve was getting at. In short, Louis is right (and it pains me to no end to say that).  You seem to be assuming that your limited experience with racists is typical. It is not.

I am not assuming it is typical. I am saying that more or less equating racism with the Republican party is an over simplification. There is a lot more complexity out there.

--------------

1878 replies since Aug. 25 2008,04:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (63) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]