RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (36) < ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... >   
  Topic: From "LUCA" thread, Paley's Ghost can back up his assertions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,16:38   

Alan Fox:

Mr The Ghost of Paley

I have just wasted rather a lot of time skimming through the latter part of this thread. Other than pandering to your ego, what purpose do you think your comments serve? As Louis, Lenny and others have already pointed out, your comments are neither informative or amusing, and appear devoid of any other redeeming feature. It may be possible for you to produce an interesting comment, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it. Do you really have nothing better to do?

Hi, Mr. Fox. Nice to see you drop in.

I'm disappointed you think that my comments don't delight or inform. It seems I have a dilemma on my hands: when people ask me to justify a belief, I can either ignore the request or try to answer. When I ignore people, they seem to get irritated, so that leaves the latter alternative.

Are my answers any good? All I can say is that I try my best. The anthropic coincidences seem to be a real problem in physics, with various attempts at resolution. I'm just trying to explain my interpretation.  What’s wrong with that?  Am I wasting my time any more than the people flogging Dave or Uncommon Descent?

Jeannot:

Paley, do you really think that life/evolution violate the Second Law?   ???

Nah, but I agree with Berlinski that abiogenesis is still a mystery. Obviously, the mechanisms that drive the evolution of cellular critters don't violate the Second Law (#### they've been observed), but I don't think that scientists have a full handle yet on how natural processes were able to convert the Sun's energy into useful work during abiogenesis. I bet on naturalism here, but it's still an open question.

--------------
Dey can't 'andle my riddim.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,16:41   

Nah, but I agree with Berlinski that abiogenesis is still a mystery. ...

No one said the contrary.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,18:01   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 14 2006,16:38)
Nah, but I agree with Berlinski that abiogenesis is still a mystery.

No shit.  I suppose that's why researchers still have jobs, and haven't all retired to the Bahamas by now.

By the way, do you agree with Berlinski that ID is a load of horse crap?  Can you point to any contribution -- any at all whatsoever --- that ID is making to solving this "mystery"?

Me neither.  (shrug)

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,18:08   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 14 2006,16:38)
Are my answers any good? All I can say is that I try my best

Cue Twisted Sister . . . . .

"If that's your best, your best won't dooooooooooo"

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,18:15   

Gimpy,

What universe are you living in? Oh yeah, right, now I remember.

Please point out where I have been inconsistent in my use of "reason" or moved any goalposts. Just saying it doesn't make it so you know.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Ogee

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,18:48   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 14 2006,15:42)
Ha, Ha! Ogee, arguing with you is like cuffing a puppy around.

Really?  How's that fine-tuning probability argument coming along?  :D  :D  :D   Shall we queue the violins for your next little bout of whining about being insulted?

So can you rebut Berlinkski's claims, Ogee? If not, then his critique stands as the final word on the matter.

Where did you get this infantile notion that whoever posts the most verbiage or posts the last word wins?  It explains much about your debating style, but doesn't hold water.  As for re-refuting DB, I lack your gusto for clogging the thread with tracts pasted from Google searches.  I am more than content to have pointed to the threads in question (and the talk.origins site) to let the interested reader see for themselves.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,19:49   

Yeah, that's what I thought.

No one can rebut the Big B's arguments, eh?

I even bolded the important bits. One-stop shopping.

Ogee:

(The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 14 2006,15:42)
Ha, Ha! Ogee, arguing with you is like cuffing a puppy around.

Really?  How's that fine-tuning probability argument coming along?

Since I provided one of the best arguments against the fine-tuning interpretation (I-J's paper) while showing where that rebuttal went wrong (the authors didn't include the observation of low tolerances in the initial probability), I think I'm doing OK. As I-J themselves noted, failing to condition initially on all the relevant background information gets you nowhere in this type of analysis. They left out a key observation, and this cripples the rest of the proof. Trying to account for the observation later doesn't square the circle.

Shall we queue the violins for your next little bout of whining about being insulted?

That doesn't sound like a proper rebuttal to me..... it sounds like a change of subject instead. Why would you want to do that, seeing as how ya got Berlinski on the ropes and all?

Where did you get this infantile notion that whoever posts the most verbiage or posts the last word wins?

If the last word shows where the first word screws up, then the last word wins. As for verbiage, the dingos gave more than they got, not that it did them any good. Face it, Nilsson-Pelger used a shaky model, their peers didn't call them on it, so Berlinski had to set things straight. Better luck next time.

As for re-refuting DB, I lack your gusto for clogging the thread with tracts pasted from Google searches.  I am more than content to have pointed to the threads in question (and the talk.origins site) to let the interested reader see for themselves.

Your third link left out the crucial information, while the first two blew up in your face ACME-style. Larry Moran was ashamed at how his peers did, and so am I. It seems that Louis and Lenny debating tactics don't go over so well with some scientists. Good for them -- bullshit needs to be called regardless of which side of the aisle the odor's wafting from. I wish that there were more scientists like Dr. Moran.

Strange Fruit:

By the way, do you agree with Berlinski that ID is a load of horse crap?  Can you point to any contribution -- any at all whatsoever --- that ID is making to solving this "mystery"?

What does this have to do with anything? You pull this tu quoque crap everytime scientists get caught with their pants down. ID might be worthless and some of its proponents dishonest, but that doesn't give real scientists permission to behave likewise. Personally, I'm glad that evolutionary biology has come of age, and can rely on real arguments rather than throwing stones at Genesis.

Personally, I think this forum needs more Berlinskis.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,19:52   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 14 2006,19:49)

Personally, no one cares what you think.  (shrug)

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,20:22   

Louis:

Please point out where I have been inconsistent in my use of "reason" or moved any goalposts. Just saying it doesn't make it so you know.

OK.

Your reference to emotion and literary criticism wrongly assumes, as I mentioned before, that these are not examples of the application of reason and observation. They are, and thus they are understandable by the scientific method, which ultimately it is after all the application of reason and observation.

Then in a later post:

2) My argument is that reason, logically coherent rational though and honest reference to observation are the the only ways of knowing anything about anything. Science is a field in which this process is most closely applied. Read back, I've made this, oooooh perhaps slightly clear to anyone with a reading age of over 5.
[...]
3) I'll try to put a point I've mentioned before, but you've skipped, a different way for you. What does the subjective reasoning involved in literary criticism tell anyone? What knowledge does it garner? It tells you lots about the person expressing it, it can tell you lots of things about the social environment of the person making and perhaps also the subject of said criticism. And so on and so forth. This is reasoning and observation, this is making models and predictions about the universe (which after all includes humans) and hopefully, testing them. Postmodernist lit crit, or rather the extreme end of it, is really nothing more than fantastical mental masturbation. Look for example at the hilarious Sokal hoax, one example in a series which demonstrates very clearly that a lot of this stuff is academic window dressing, lots of arrogant people saying a great deal about nothing,.

Not only is the little lecture about the pitfalls of postmodernism irrelevant to the point I'm making (I'm not a postmodernist, by the way....don't get caught up in catch phrases), these statements, taken collectively, render your argument (such as it is) incoherent. Is literary criticism based on scientific methodology or isn't it? If the reasoning behind it is "subjective", then it clearly isn't science, and the fact that we can use science to discuss the epiphenomena surrounding lit crit (social conditions, the mental states of the critic himself) doesn't change that uncomfortable truth. But wait....lit crit is "understandable by the scientific method, which ultimately [...] is after all the application of reason and observation". Unless the criticism is extreme, in which case it's fantastical mental masturbation. Not that subjectivity itself is bad, (I wouldn't want to insert the word 'objective' into your argument and run with a strawman), so subjective interpretation is science. Unless these subjective interpretations are made by Louis's critics, in which case it's trolling and wankery. You dig?

And these are Louis's good arguments. Embedded, as always, in a steaming pile of insults. Which he's allowed, since I'm obviously not being honest with my position, because if I was then Louis would agree with me and act civilised.

You dig?

--------------

Ogee

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,20:25   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 14 2006,19:49)
Since I provided one of the best arguments against the fine-tuning interpretation (I-J's paper) while showing where that rebuttal went wrong (the authors didn't include the observation of low tolerances in the initial probability), I think I'm doing OK.

Err.. you claimed they equivocated, then backpedalled and claimed that the fine-tuning argument is not a statement of probability, and asserted that conditioning on "brittleness" would change the outcome. The demonstration of any of this has apparently been lost in the mail.  If that's "doing OK", I shudder to think what your "doing badly" looks like.

If the last word shows where the first word screws up, then the last word wins.

Sure, IF.  I'm glad you posted Berlinski's response (which I had not read before): it's quite telling, albeit not in the manner you think it is.  Again, I encourage interested readers to compare Berlinski's complaints to the paper itself and evaluate.  

I wish that there were more scientists like Dr. Moran.

This professed admiration of yours for Moran's high standards of conduct might ring a little truer if you were not a documented hypocrite, troll, bigot and liar.

So do I: that we're stuck with the likes of afdave and you is depressing.  I would be delighted if some higher-grade pseudoscientists had the stones to operate in a forum like this.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 14 2006,21:12   

Ogee:

Err.. you claimed they equivocated, then backpedalled and claimed that the fine-tuning argument is not a statement of probability, and asserted that conditioning on "brittleness" would change the outcome. The demonstration of any of this has apparently been lost in the mail.

Didn't you understand their proof?

Our main theorem
Having understood the previous discussion, and with our notation in hand, it is now easy to prove that the WAP does not support supernaturalism (which we take to be the negation ~N of N). Recall that the WAP can be written as P(F|N&L)=1. Then, by Bayes' theorem [see footnote 2] we have

P(N|F&L) =  P(F|N&L)P(N|L)/P(F|L)

=  P(N|L)/P(F|L)

>= P(N|L)
where '>=' means "greater than or equal to." The second line follows because P(F|N&L)=1, and the inequality of the third line follows because P(F|L) is a positive quantity less than or equal to 1. (The above demonstration is inspired by a recent article on talk.origins by Michael Ikeda <mmikeda@erols.com>; we have simplified the proof in his article. The message ID for the cited article is <5j6dq8$bvj@winter.erols.com> for those who wish to search for it on dejanews.)

The inequality P(N|F&L)>=P(N|L) shows that the WAP supports (or at least does not undermine) the hypothesis that the universe is governed by naturalistic law. This result is, as we have emphasized, independent of how large or small P(F|N) is. The observation F cannot decrease the probability that N is true (given the known background information that life exists in our universe), and may well increase it.

Corollary: Since P(~N|F&L)=1-P(N|F&L) and similarly for P(~N|L), it follows that P(~N|F&L)<=P(~N|L). In other words, the observation F does not support supernaturalism (~N), and may well undermine it.

See the bolded part? That means, "the probability that the universe is life friendly given naturalism and the existence of life". "Friendly",as you've already admitted, is defined as life compatible. Oh, here, let me quote the paper:

b) Our universe is "life friendly," that is, the conditions in our universe (such as physical laws, etc.) permit or are compatible with life existing naturalistically.

Now, given those conditions, then the bolded probability equals 1, and cancels just like they said. But what if we add another observation:
B: "The constants that permit life have low tolerances"?

Then the probability becomes P(N|F&L&B) =  P(N|F&(L&B))=P(F|N&(L&B))P(N|(L&B))/P(F|(L&B))=P(F|N&L&B)P(N|L&B)/P(F|L&B). Can you cancel now without assuming what you're trying to prove? Remember, you admitted that the coincidences themselves were "observations", and as the authors remind us:

Third, we will show that for any argument to be sound, it must include all background information which is known to be true and which affects (changes) the likelihood. In the present situation, L has this status. This will motivate in a formal way our assertion that we must condition on L.

Of course, we don't really know if my B truly affects the likelihood, but then you would be reasoning in a circle, since you're assuming brittleness is irrelevant to the problem, which is err....what we're investigating in the first place.

I could be wrong, but insults won't change the likelihood.  ;)

I've laid out my objection as clearly as I can. I'll retract it if you or anyone else shows me where I screwed up, but you need to show the flaws explicitly. Once again, I don't mind being wrong, but I need to see where. Emotives won't work.

--------------

Ogee

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 15 2006,01:36   

That's a shame: you almost figured it out for yourself, but let the instruction continue...

You can indeed cancel the first term on the RHS, because it also equals unity:

P(F|L&N&B) = 1.

Why?  Any natural universe known to contain life must be life-friendly.  The conditioning on B cannot reduce the probability of F once L is observed in a natural universe.   Not a good start for demonstrating B is relevant here.

Anyway, this leaves:

P(N|F&L&B) = P(N|L&B)/P(F|L&B)

P(F|(L&B) <= 1

Therefore P(N|F&L&B) >= P(N|L&B)

We once again must conclude that, no matter the degree of "brittleness" assumed or "observed", the additional observation of F cannot undermine N (but could support it). We find that B does not influence this conclusion at all, and that therefore conditioning on B is unnecessary.  Contrast this with conditioning on L, which has a dramatic effect on the probabilities (and, without which, the 1st RHS term could not be cancelled).

Didn't you understand their proof?

:D  :D  :D

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 15 2006,02:45   

{deep breath}

BWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAA

1) First my argument never was that lit crit is based on science, but that it is based on reason and observation. So your strawman (pointed out pages ago by the way) is still irrelevant! What I HAVE said (very very clearly btw) is that both science and lit crit etc are based on the application of reason, and that reason and observation are used with varying degrees of ability and accuracy. Nice of you to ignore that Gimpy!

2) The extreme ends of postmodern lit crit are DEMONSTRATED mental masturbation. I'm not talking about subjectivity (already dealt with, sorry sweetheart), I'm talking about the puff pieces of people like Derrida, pieces in which they say nothing but cover it is obfuscatory verbiage. Like I said, these are the things exposed by the Sokal hoax. This is NOT simple subjectivity by the way, it's the extreme cultural relativism that claims that the scientific claim that the moon is made of rock is equally valid (i.e. representative of reality) to the claim that it is made of green cheese. This is essentially the claim that all mechanisms of acquiring knowledge about the universe are equally successful without ever being allowed to examine their products.

Nice try troll. You demonstrate your lack of ability to follow an argument, read for comprehension and do anything other than google trawl.....yet again.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 15 2006,03:15   

Forgot my post script.

Is anyone else extremely amused by Gimpy's Black Knight act? "'Tis but a flesh wound", "Come back, I'll bite your kneecaps off".

Louis

--------------
Bye.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 15 2006,14:06   

That's a shame: you almost figured it out for yourself, but let the instruction continue...

You can indeed cancel the first term on the RHS, because it also equals unity:

P(F|L&N&B) = 1.

That's true, I forgot that life friendliness follows automatically from L&N&anything else. But let's see where this leads:

P(N|F&L&B) = P(N|L&B)/P(F|L&B)

P(F|(L&B) <= 1

We once again must conclude that, no matter the degree of "brittleness" assumed or "observed", the additional observation of F cannot undermine N (but could support it).

But that's only because "Friendliness" can only help naturalism regardless of the other observations. Notice that B remains in the denominator on both sides, so this only shows that F increases --or does not decrease-- the likelihood of natualism if we compare our universe to a life-containing one whose laws may or may not be life friendly, but are brittle. You need to show that P(N|F&L&B) >= P(N|F&L) to show that B is unimportant. You have not done this. To be fair, that probably isn't your fault, because I'm skeptical that such a calculation is currently possible. Future discoveries may change this unhappy state of affairs.

To sum up, when B is included in the initial probability, then the proof evaporates, leaving Ogee's rather mundane conclusion. Bayes doesn't seem to be very informative here.

--------------

Ogee

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 15 2006,17:07   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 15 2006,14:06)
Notice that B remains in the denominator on both sides, so this only shows that F increases --or does not decrease-- the likelihood of natualism if we compare our universe to a life-containing one whose laws may or may not be life friendly, but are brittle.

Nonsense.  "Brittleness" is not a property of a particular universe, but a statement on the range of physical parameters constants that will satisfy F, and thus applies for all universes.  

You need to show that P(N|F&L&B) >= P(N|F&L) to show that B is unimportant.

Actually, I don't:

1)  The positive claim is that B (in conjunction with F) supports ~N.   This has been shown to be utterly unsupported, which is sufficient to reject the cosmological ID argument.

2) Your specific claim that conditioning on B will change the outcome of Ikeda-Jeffery's anthropic principle argument has been competely refuted.

Ogee

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 15 2006,17:45   

Worse yet, although it has been granted as an assumption for the sake of argument above, you still have not even established that B is a legitimate predicate, as opposed to a disguised statement about P(F|N).

That your argument fails even if this dubious assumption is granted is pretty indicative of its quality.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 15 2006,20:02   

Ogee:

(The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 15 2006,14:06)
Notice that B remains in the denominator on both sides, so this only shows that F increases --or does not decrease-- the likelihood of natualism if we compare our universe to a life-containing one whose laws may or may not be life friendly, but are brittle.

Nonsense.  "Brittleness" is not a property of a particular universe, but a statement on the range of physical parameters constants that will satisfy F, and thus applies for all universes.  

Nonsense? Brittleness is simply the observation of low tolerances. Some universes could have tolerances within several orders of magnitude, while others may have very narrow ranges. The fact that a continuum exists does not forbid a qualitative statement. "Life", for example, is hard to define precisely. So is the concept of "species". Now look at your probability again:

This translates as: " The probability of 'naturalism' given 'life-friendliness', 'the existence of life', and 'brittleness' is greater than or equal to the probability of naturalism conditioned only on 'life' and 'brittleness' ". We are comparing one life-containing, brittle universe to another, and finding that additional knowledge of "friendliness" does not undermine N. As I've said from the beginning, of course it doesn't! In fact, if the laws are not friendly then the probability of naturalism goes to 0 under WAP. This assumption allows the cancellation to be made.

Of course, you dispute this statement in your last posts (for some reason, you think rewording the same objection leads to multiple objections). I understand that you disagree. But as I've shown in previous posts, "brittleness" is detachable from low probability statements, and it is also observed. Ask any physicist. Therefore, the original formulation is sound.

You need to show that P(N|F&L&B) >= P(N|F&L) to show that B is unimportant.

Actually, I don't:

1)  The positive claim is that B (in conjunction with F) supports ~N.   This has been shown to be utterly unsupported, which is sufficient to reject the cosmological ID argument.

F in conjunction with any observation will not undermine N, because we know life exists. This shows how hollow the I-J proof really is, because it demonstrates that, say, finding a transcendental number encoded in DNA, or finding the first verse of genesis inscribed in a nebula, can only support N so long as it's coupled with life and life-friendliness -- or simply life alone!* Change B's definition and the proof marches on, undisturbed. But the true comparison is between brittle and tolerant universes, and not among brittle universes.

2) Your specific claim that conditioning on B will change the outcome of Ikeda-Jeffery's anthropic principle argument has been competely refuted.

Then why are the final probabilities only comparing brittle universes? It's because "brittleness" is now a predicate instead of an assumption of a low P(N|F&L). The I-J proof is based on the belief that "brittleness" is simply a low probability argument. It is not; we cannot assume that P(N|F&L) << 1 from brittleness alone. You do realise that physicists didn't have to find low tolerances, don't you?

*[edit:Since I'm beginning to suspect that conditioning on N implies F. Sorry if I didn't make this clearer]

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 15 2006,21:10   

Louis:

1) First my argument never was that lit crit is based on science, but that it is based on reason and observation. So your strawman (pointed out pages ago by the way) is still irrelevant! What I HAVE said (very very clearly btw) is that both science and lit crit etc are based on the application of reason, and that reason and observation are used with varying degrees of ability and accuracy. Nice of you to ignore that Gimpy!

I haven't. I have consistently acknowledged that a loose form of reasoning can be applied to the analysis of literature. But it's qualitatively, and not just quantitatively different from the scientific reasoning that yields the objective information you admire. In addition, subjective judgements are hopelessly intertwined, so not only are the humanities "less accurate" than science, the term "accuracy" really has no meaning. That's why you keep referencing the epiphenomena surrounding literature; you can only make these items correspond to science, and not the study of literature itself.

2) The extreme ends of postmodern lit crit are DEMONSTRATED mental masturbation. I'm not talking about subjectivity (already dealt with, sorry sweetheart), I'm talking about the puff pieces of people like Derrida, pieces in which they say nothing but cover it is obfuscatory verbiage. Like I said, these are the things exposed by the Sokal hoax. This is NOT simple subjectivity by the way, it's the extreme cultural relativism that claims that the scientific claim that the moon is made of rock is equally valid (i.e. representative of reality) to the claim that it is made of green cheese. This is essentially the claim that all mechanisms of acquiring knowledge about the universe are equally successful without ever being allowed to examine their products.

So do subjective experiences and statements have content, or not?

Nice try troll. You demonstrate your lack of ability to follow an argument, read for comprehension and do anything other than google trawl.....yet again.

Then make a coherent argument. Saying "It's all a form of reason, man" is not enough. Is emotional reasoning fruitful? Are subjective experiences fruitful? Please give straight answers.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 15 2006,21:27   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 15 2006,21:10)
Then make a coherent argument.

BWA HA HA HA HA AHA  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's pretty #### funny, coming from the King of All Blitherers.

--------------

Ogee

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 15 2006,22:31   

More howlers from our village idiot:

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 15 2006,20:02)
Nonsense? Brittleness is simply the observation of low tolerances. Some universes could have tolerances within several orders of magnitude, while others may have very narrow ranges.

Again, total fucking nonsense.  I challenge you to name just one physicist that supports such idiocy.  Absolutely staggering.

F in conjunction with any observation will not undermine N, because we know life exists.

Finally, you get something right (once more today and there's a nice, shiny Broken Clock medal with your pseudonym on it).  This is exactly I-J's point - and it critically wounds cosmo-ID, which holds that the combination of  P(F|N)<<1 and the observation of F undermine N.

This shows how hollow the I-J proof really is, because it demonstrates that, say, finding a transcendental number encoded in DNA, or finding the first verse of genesis inscribed in a nebula, can only support N so long as it's coupled with life and life-friendliness -- or simply life alone! Change B's definition and the proof marches on, undisturbed.

Christ, you're dumb.  First, B cannot support N (or ~N) - a crucial consequence of its irrelevance.  Second, those other observations might have an influence on P(N), but which must be independently established: they have nothing to do with fine-tuning.  Ikeda-Jefferys deals with the cosmo-ID fine-tuning argument: that irrelevancies do not alter the conclusions is hardly a flaw.

Then why are the final probabilities only comparing brittle universes?

"Brittleness" isn't a property of universes, dimwit, it is the constraints on life-friendly physical laws and constants.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 16 2006,03:31   

Gimpy,

I HAVE made a coherent argument about precisely the "complaints" you make. Try reading for comprehension once in a while. Your monsterous lack of understanding and honesty is yet again horribly obvious.

I'm getting a sense of deja vu here: you get your argument demolished and just keep repeating your claims ad nauseum and claiming them unrefuted. No Gimpy, subjective and emotional reasoning in the arts is not qualitatively different from reason. You also haven't suppied any support for your claims, you just keep reasserting your original claim.

Look Gimpy, the reason you attract mockery and abuse is because you are thoroughly dishonest. You haven't successfully made one argument since you've been here as far as I (and indeed anyone else) is aware, at least partially because of this. This is a classic example. You keep referring back to your strawman version of my argument  being "objectivity and science underpin the arts", which it isn't. My point is that reason and observation underlie the arts and emotions, and that, whilst there are differences in the accuracy and conscious use of these tools, they are the same tools as those used in science. You've done nothing to demonstrate this is false except continually reassert your original claim.

It's amusing to see your level of cognitive dissonance go up a notch, so desperate are you to attempt to justify your existing prejudices (you do know what that word means right?). Also amusing to see it starkly delineated in your conversation with Ogee. Le Spectre de Paley, nil points.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 16 2006,08:47   

Ogee:

Again, total fucking nonsense.  I challenge you to name just one physicist that supports such idiocy.  Absolutely staggering.

Let me know when you've replaced your temper tantrum with an actual objection.

F in conjunction with any observation will not undermine N, because we know life exists.

Finally, you get something right (once more today and there's a nice, shiny Broken Clock medal with your pseudonym on it).  This is exactly I-J's point - and it critically wounds cosmo-ID, which holds that the combination of  P(F|N)<<1 and the observation of F undermine N.

Keep this in mind. Ogee does not.

Christ, you're dumb.  First, B cannot support N (or ~N) - a crucial consequence of its irrelevance.  Second, those other observations might have an influence on P(N), but which must be independently established: they have nothing to do with fine-tuning.

How would you know what B supports? The analysis only compares brittle universes, not brittle universes with non-brittle ones.

More later.

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 16 2006,09:28   

But what if we add another observation:
B: "The constants that permit life have low tolerances"?

You don't KNOW what the "tolerances " for life are, and neither do I. Therefore your entire argument is held in abeyance.
Life is indeed hard to define, but I have used this one before, from the Santa Fe Institute: " living systems may be defined as open systems maintained in steady-states, far-from-equilibrium, due to matter-energy flows in which informed autocatalytic cycles extract energy, build complex internal structures, allowing growth even as they create greater entropy in their environments."

Here's another: "Living organisms are autopoietic systems: self-constructing, self-maintaining, energy-transducing autocatalytic entities” in which information needed to construct the next generation of organisms is stabilized in molecules that replicate within the context of protective cells and work with other developmental resources during the life-cycles of organisms, but they are also “systems capable of evolving by variation and natural selection: self-reproducing entities, whose forms and functions are adapted to their environment and reflect the composition and history of an ecosystem” (Harold, F.M. 2001. The Way of the Cell: Molecules, Organisms and the Order of Life. New York: Oxford University Press).

The debate over even this terminology is intense and has not been resolved. To include claims about "tolerances" of life in any theoretical discussion is unwarranted at this point, even if some universe constructs don't allow for the aggregation/increase of matter/energy. Would you use an undelimited variable such as this under other circumstances? And declare a positive answer?

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 16 2006,11:07   

Oooh oohh while I remember.

What are these "other ways of knowing", from where, when and how are they coming to "a country near me"? If you think that lit crit/art appreciation/emotion are "other ways of knowing" please explain how these things are not already in "a country near me" and where they are coming from.

YOU propose "other ways of knowing" Gimpy, the burden of proof rests on YOU to demonstrate them. As well as the fact that you have yet to address one single point of my argument, except of course to repeat your original unsupported claims and make up silly strawmen to bash about.

Are you going to get honest any time soon or are you content with trolling and making yourself look like a total moron?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 16 2006,11:11   

Deadman:

The debate over even this terminology is intense and has not been resolved. To include claims about "tolerances" of life in any theoretical discussion is unwarranted at this point, even if some universe constructs don't allow for the aggregation/increase of matter/energy. Would you use an undelimited variable such as this under other circumstances? And declare a positive answer?

This is a very good point that goes to the heart of the matter. I'm skeptical about I-J's entire approach to the problem, because even if you define "low tolerances" as they do (P(N|F&L)<<1) this conditional probability doesn't say very much, because most reasonable people would agree that observing F (which we do, more or less) cannot decrease P(N) under any circumstances. But I'm arguing that we need to show that P(N|F&L) with low tolerances >= P(N|F&L) with high tolerances. Their formulation cannot show this. All it can say is, "well, if B applies, then the observation of F favours our lifey universe over another lifey universe where F is not observed. That's nice, but I'm worried about how brittleness affects the probabilities when contrasted with universes with larger tolerances.

This may not be possible to model (and please note that I have freely admitted this), but the problem doesn't go away just because we can't beat it into scientific form just yet -- or ever?

Neverhteless, I still think you should condition on B, even though this is a continuous variable. Perhaps give tolerance a numeric range?

More later.

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 16 2006,13:59   

Louis:

No[....], subjective and emotional reasoning in the arts is not qualitatively different from reason.

So does a theological debate qualify as a form of reason? Yes or no first, then explain.

My point is that reason and observation underlie the arts and emotions, and that, whilst there are differences in the accuracy and conscious use of these tools, they are the same tools as those used in science. You've done nothing to demonstrate this is false except continually reassert your original claim.

Ok, then, what disqualifies theological debate? God may not be able to be observed directly (assuming he exists), but both reason and observation are applied in this domain as well. People observe the structure of the universe, and use these observations to derive a theological conclusion. Circumstantial evidence is still evidence (no human observed the evolution of whales from artiodactyls, but by interpreting genes and fossils we can infer the event). See, by casting your net so wide you've captured everything, which means your argument goes hungry.

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 16 2006,16:33   

I'm getting into this debate a little late; sorry I'm responding to a post from three weeks ago.

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Oct. 21 2006,03:54)
This is why they conditioned on L. Too bad they also didn't condition on Fine-Tuning, even though it's observed and is valid "background information".

But I'm not sure "fine tuning" has been observed.

The prime candidate for a "finely tuned" constant is, of course, the Cosmological Constant. It's got to be what it is within 120 orders of magnitude (and, probably not coincidentally, is mispredicted by most current theories by about 120 orders of magnitude), or the universe would either have immediately recollapsed, or immediately have expanded to infinity.

As far as anyone knows, there are no constraints on what the cosmological constant could be. One of the principal objects to string theory as it's currently constituted is its inability to pick out one set of physical parameters out of 10^500 mathematically-consistent possibilities. But given our limited understanding of why any physical parameter takes the value it does in the observable universe, I think it's premature to take it as a given that fine tuning has been observed. For all we know (and this is certainly the fondest hope of the high-energy physics community), there may in fact be only one mathematically-consistent value for all or most physical parameters, which of course would render the fine-tuning matter moot (a point I-J make in their paper.)

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

Ogee

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 16 2006,18:17   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 16 2006,11:11)
Neverhteless, I still think you should condition on B, even though this is a continuous variable. Perhaps give tolerance a numeric range?

:D  :D  :D  (emphasis mine) I thought you said that B was a statement, and not a probability?  Statements are not "continuous variables", they are propositions like "the universe is natural in origin" which are either true or false.  Probabilities, on the other hand, are continuous variables, and you cannot condition on a continuous variable.  It's a shame that progress has to come because of your Google-scholar level comprehension, rather than an honest concession, but I'll take it.

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Nov. 16 2006,08:47)
Let me know when you've replaced your temper tantrum with an actual objection.

Let me know when you've replaced your handwaving and whinging with some actual support for your claims.  

Since you dodged right past it, I'll have to repeat:

"Brittleness" isn't a property of universes, dimwit, it is the constraints on life-friendly physical laws and constants.

I accept your tacit concession that you will not find even one physicist to agree with your absolutely idioitic claim that it's universes that are brittle.  

How would you know what B supports?

I showed above that, even if we grant that B is a legit predicate,  conditioning on B has no influence on the Ikeda-Jefferys argument.

The analysis only compares brittle universes, not brittle universes with non-brittle ones.

Since you respond to refutations of your nonsense with mere repetitions of the same claims, I see no reason not to simply cut-and-paste the points you can't answer:

Let's summarize Paley's foray into fine-tuning thus far:

1) Paley claimed that I-J equivocated on F. This was proven wrong - and shown to probably originate with the source of most all of Paley's "knowledge": Wikipedia. 0 for 1.

2) Paley claimed that conditioning on "brittleness" would collapse the I-J argument.  I proved above that it doesn't change it one whit.  Paley has provided exactly zero evidence in support of his assertion.  0 for 2.

3) Paley claimed that his (as-yet not precisely defined) "brittleness" statement is a legitimate predicate, which could be conditioned upon in Bayesian probability arguments.  He accidentally admitted that this is false.  0 for 3

4) Paley claimed that "brittleness" is a property of specific universes, as opposed to life-permitting physics.  Aside from its rather obvious inanity (and total lack of support among those who study "fine-tuning"), Paley has provided exactly zero evidence in support of this assertion.  0 for 4.

Ouch.  Given this kind of performance, it's understandable that Paley has attempted to distract from these failure and fallaciously shift the burden of proof regarding his positive assertion that "brittleness" changes the probability that the universe is natural in origin.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 16 2006,18:32   

ericmurphy:

But I'm not sure "fine tuning" has been observed.

The prime candidate for a "finely tuned" constant is, of course, the Cosmological Constant. It's got to be what it is within 120 orders of magnitude (and, probably not coincidentally, is mispredicted by most current theories by about 120 orders of magnitude), or the universe would either have immediately recollapsed, or immediately have expanded to infinity.

And what makes this matter especially confusing is that some models interpret the small positive value as provisionally ~F, i.e. as inconsistent with naturalistic origins. On the other hand, quintessence models with tracker fields use this value as evidence. Fortunately there are other coincidences to play with.

As far as anyone knows, there are no constraints on what the cosmological constant could be. One of the principal objects to string theory as it's currently constituted is its inability to pick out one set of physical parameters out of 10^500 mathematically-consistent possibilities. But given our limited understanding of why any physical parameter takes the value it does in the observable universe, I think it's premature to take it as a given that fine tuning has been observed. For all we know (and this is certainly the fondest hope of the high-energy physics community), there may in fact be only one mathematically-consistent value for all or most physical parameters, which of course would render the fine-tuning matter moot (a point I-J make in their paper.)

Yes, there could be an underlying natural principle, multiple universes, or even one self-tuning universe. The fine tuning argument implicitly assumes that the constants can take arbitrary values, and that there haven't been enough trials to "choose" a life-friendly universe. That's why I try to use terms like "low tolerances" instead of "fine-tuning".

I still think I-J show only that a lifey universe with friendly laws is at least as likely as a lifey universe with unobserved friendliness. This doesn't imply that brittleness doesn't significantly impact the probability of naturalism IMHO.

--------------

1058 replies since Aug. 31 2005,16:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (36) < ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]