RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >   
  Topic: Will a "gay gene" refute I.D.?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Seven Popes

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2006,02:33   

Thordaddy, don't try to derail my lovely thread!  I purposely started another because I didn't want to derail yours.
Would a "gay gene" refute I.D.?
Can you not answer that simple question?  Must you run away from the answer every time?  I just want to know Thordaddy, if a gene or set of genes is found to cause homosexuality, would this refute Intelligent Design?  
Fifth try Thordaddy, would a "gay gene" refute I.D.?

--------------
Cave ab homine unius libri - Beware of anyone who has just one book.

thordaddy

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2006,13:05   

Seven Popes asks,

Fifth try Thordaddy, would a "gay gene" refute I.D.?

No.

Homosexuality is a product of free-will.

Is that straightforward enough?

Seven Popes

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2006,13:24   

I just want to know Thordaddy, if a gene or set of genes is found to cause homosexuality, would this refute Intelligent Design?  
sixth try Thordaddy, would a "gay gene" refute I.D.?

--------------

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2006,15:30   

LOL.  amazing.

I think you maybe need to use smaller words for him, or something?

maybe if you pointed out the inherent contradiction in his non-answer?

how bout this:

TD:

IF there is a gay gene, would that refute ID?

maybe it's the emphasis that's missing?

I can't think of any simpler words to use, actually.

but i have a question for you:

Do you really expect an answer worth the time you spent asking him?

Seven Popes

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2006,15:48   

Thanks for your concern, Sir toejam, but I can think of no better way of entertaining myself.  I live in a rural community in the deep south, and I enjoy pulling my pickup truck next to one belonging to the local rednecks.  They will then speed up, closing the gap between themselves and the car in front of them.  They simply can't stand being passed.
I will then fall back a bit, and when they have done the same, I will speed up a bit.  They close the gap.  They have no choice. I have gotten them to dance with me as many as seven times.  They cannot help themselves even when they know that they are being manipulated.
The same is true with Thordaddy.  I have shown my hand now, but it'll be very difficult for him to address the question i've posed.  He'd rather speed up.

--------------

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2006,16:01   

I can think of no better way of entertaining myself

I understand; forget i asked.

er, carry on.

a bit of parting advice:

"Don't play games with pickups that have shotgun racks."

Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda taught me that.

MidnightVoice

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,02:56   

Quote (sir_toejam @ April 10 2006,21:01)
"Don't play games with pickups that have shotgun racks."

Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda taught me that.

Wow.  Someone else as old as I am  :D

--------------
If I fly the coop some time
And take nothing but a grip
With the few good books that really count
It's a necessary trip

I'll be gone with the girl in the gold silk jacket
The girl with the pearl-driller's hands

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,03:18   

I can't quite parse the original question. The answer is, "That's the way the Designer chose to do it." The question seems entirely irrelevant. So ID can't be refuted by anything at all.

Seven Popes

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,04:35   

Herr Toejam, I might change my handle to Uneasy Rider, thanks for reminding me of a classic.  I loved Jack Nicholson in the football helmet. :D
Midnight voice, I am consistantly surprised by the ages of people met sight unseen.  I have met youngsters in their twenties who are incredibly mature, and oldsters like myself who do silly things like this creating this thread. :(
Flint, this thread comes from a simular thread started by Thordaddy.  I did not wish to derail his rhetorical gem, entitled "Will A Gay Gene Refute Evolution".
Thordaddy believes that homosexuality is wrong, and uses tortured logic to support homophobic teaching.  He pointed out that since homosexual men have a greater incidence of HIV/AIDS, we need to teach our students about the dangers of homosexuality.  When I pointed out that lesbians have infection rates far below that of heterosexuals, and asked if we should teach our daughters about the virtues of a lesbian life, he fell silent.
I set up a paradoxical question, Since he postulated the existance of a gay gene in his thread, I would ask him if his designer (clearly to him, it's the Christian God) made homosexuals.  Now Thordaddies particular flavor of christianity doesn't think highly of homosexuals (I've seen the insides of their homes, they need gay men more than gays need them.  I.D. might also mean interior decorating). It seem unjust for his God to create them (with this "gay gene"), only to send them to Hades. The question was not really about refuting I.D., it was about exposing Thordaddies designer. I believe that Thordaddy is a creationist hiding behind I.D. in order to push his theology into public education.  In other posts, he denies that Intelligent Design's credibility was damaged by Kitzmiller v Dover.  
I (regrettably) baited him by pointing out that people who shared his ideology had committed perjury in that court case, in effect "lying for Jesus".  I used the Judge Jones quote:
"It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose behind the ID Policy."

Since then, Thordaddy will hardly repond to any of my posts, and when he does, it's by attempting to derail this thread or by pummeling his straw man, not mine.  He can't honestly answer the question.

--------------

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,05:07   

I am consistantly surprised by the ages of people met sight unseen.

I don't know if it surprises anybody, but despite the immaturity I repeatedly display in not just letting T-diddy et al. stew in their ignorance, I recall seeing "Easy Rider" during my freshman year in college.

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,05:13   

seven popes:

My suspicion is that thordaddy knows queers choose to be sinful, but has never before had to think it through. The effort to do so requires that he apply skepticism to his absolutes, and I can see that this renders him confused, incoherent, and circular. It also highlights that he has certain blind spots, so that good questions like yours simply don't exist. They're literally not there.

I saw Easy Rider after I returned from two tours in Vietnam. And I thought it was too violent!

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,08:46   

well, having done two tours in 'Nam would make you an expert on what is violent, that's for sure!

I'd agree with you, for the time it seemed awfully brutal.

but of course i was only 9 when it came out (my brother snuck me in to see it - shhh!;), so...

IIRC, that was the first time i ever saw a naked woman on the big screen.

actually, I've of course seen it many times since, and yes, there are some scenes that still disturb me.

which means it's a good movie.

thordaddy

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,10:27   

Seven Popes,

I answered your question with an unequivocal NO and you still claim I haven't answered your question.

Will a "gay gene" refute ID, you ask?

No, I say!  Homosexuality, given all the current evidence, is a product of free-will and a lifestyle choice.

How much clearer do I need to be?

You start from the assumption that homosexuality is an unalterable genetic orientation.  What is this based on, exactly?

What of "bisexuality?"

Are there 2 "gay genes" and 1 "semi-gay gene?"

You say,

Thordaddy believes that homosexuality is wrong, and uses tortured logic to support homophobic teaching.  He pointed out that since homosexual men have a greater incidence of HIV/AIDS, we need to teach our students about the dangers of homosexuality.  When I pointed out that lesbians have infection rates far below that of heterosexuals, and asked if we should teach our daughters about the virtues of a lesbian life, he fell silent.

When have I said "homosexuality" was "wrong?"  I've only said it was "unnatural" and "abnormal."  Even the AMA agreed with me at one point.  But what science did they use to change that designation?  None!  It was a politically-motivated re-evaluation.

And I am not silent on your irrevelant topic of lesbianism.  Your question shows how absurd it is to teach EITHER homosexuality or lesbianism to young school children.  Just because lesbianism doesn't have outrageous levels of disease is only a greater indication of how "unnatural" and "abnormal" homosexuality really is.  There are very DISTINCT differences between lesbianism and homosexuality.  Should we teach those differences?

I set up a paradoxical question, Since he postulated the existance of a gay gene in his thread, I would ask him if his designer (clearly to him, it's the Christian God) made homosexuals.  Now Thordaddies particular flavor of christianity doesn't think highly of homosexuals (I've seen the insides of their homes, they need gay men more than gays need them.  I.D. might also mean interior decorating). It seem unjust for his God to create them (with this "gay gene"), only to send them to Hades.

Again, another "scientist" who thinks that someone who disagrees with teaching young children about the "normalcy" of homosexuality and gayness MUST be religious.  Clearly, this is a fallacious assumption.  That's like me claiming that ALL those that SUPPORT the "normalization" of homosexuality are radical left-wing athiests.  Is that you, Seven Popes?  I've made no religious arguments because they aren't necessary in addressing my concern.
I'm appealing to SCEINCE for answers and all I keep running into are ideologues.

The question was not really about refuting I.D., it was about exposing Thordaddies designer. I believe that Thordaddy is a creationist hiding behind I.D. in order to push his theology into public education.  In other posts, he denies that Intelligent Design's credibility was damaged by Kitzmiller v Dover.

I knew very little about ID or evolution until about 3 months ago when this Dover case made into to the media spotlight.  I am a political junkie.  I have no intentions of sending my kids to public schools.  It's a bureaucracy built for mass mediocrity.  It's relevance in the global economy is declining.  Why?  All of your assumptions are fallacious and a sign of a narrow-minded ideologue.  

I (regrettably) baited him by pointing out that people who shared his ideology had committed perjury in that court case, in effect "lying for Jesus".  I used the Judge Jones quote:

"It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose behind the ID Policy."

Since when did one man's opinion because gospel?  LOL!  There is your ideology showing again.  

Judge Jones acts as if religious people and IDers HAVE to be one in the same and the area of their specific endeavors are entirely the same.  What a blinkered and ignorant view.  

Since then, Thordaddy will hardly repond to any of my posts, and when he does, it's by attempting to derail this thread or by pummeling his straw man, not mine.  He can't honestly answer the question

No!  How much more honest do need me to be?

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,10:48   

I answered your question with an unequivocal NO and you still claim I haven't answered your question.

Will a "gay gene" refute ID, you ask?

No, I say!  Homosexuality, given all the current evidence, is a product of free-will and a lifestyle choice.

Holy dense as a black hole, Batman!

Didn't someone in another thread point out a major sociological distinction that TD fits to a "T"?

He is apparently completely mentally incapable of understanding conditional statements.

or any kind of logic, in general.

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,10:48   

Homosexuality, given all the current evidence, is a product of free-will and a lifestyle choice.
What evidence?

There are very DISTINCT differences between lesbianism and homosexuality.
Lesbians are homosexual, they are also gay.

Again, another "scientist" who thinks that someone who disagrees with teaching young children about the "normalcy" of homosexuality and gayness MUST be religious.
Well are you against teaching that it doesn't automatically make them freaks or bad people?

Seven Popes

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,10:56   

I just want to know Thordaddy, IF a gene or set of genes is found to cause homosexuality, would this refute Intelligent Design?  
Seventh try Thordaddy, would a "gay gene" refute I.D?

--------------

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,11:00   

wow, OK, i can see where this game can be fun.

requires little effort to demonstrate a general sociological idiom.

do you think that pickup he drives will ever run out of gas, Seven?

thordaddy

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,11:00   

Chris Hyland asks,

What evidence?

Exactly... "what evidence" is there for a genetic component for homosexuality?  This is what I keep looking for and since we cannot find it I make the crazy assumption that is represents a choice.

So as to clarify, homosexuals are gay males and lesbians are gay females.  They both represent gays in general.

Well are you against teaching that it doesn't automatically make them freaks or bad people?

Are you honestly asserting that this takes place in the public school system outside fringe cases?  You seem to know little about the ethos and political leanings of most of the teachers in the US public school system.

thordaddy

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,11:05   

Seven Popes,

A "gay gene" would NOT refute ID BECAUSE such a gene would further strain the credibility of evolutionary theory.  A "gay gene" would bolster the credibility of ID.

Is this answer clear enough?

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,11:08   

:00-->
Quote (thordaddy @ April 11 2006,16:00)

So as to clarify, homosexuals are gay males and lesbians are gay females.  They both represent gays in general.

WHAT

Oh man ,I'm so sorry I didn't pay any attention to this thread before.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,11:49   

homosexuals are gay males and lesbians are gay females
Perhaps T-diddy thinks that the "homo" in "homosexual" is from the Latin homo  ("man", like in Homo sapiens) and doesn't realize it's from the Greek 'oµo ("same").

I suspect he's phallocephalic.

--------------

thordaddy

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,11:55   

Since is doesn't make sense to use homosexual as meaning both gay males and gay females as it pertains to the stats I provided, I used the common American reference to gay males, namely, homosexuals.

Maybe neither of you are American?  Homosexual is commonly used to mean gay MALES while lesbian refers to gay FEMALES.  They are both considered GAY.  Understand?

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,11:59   

Quote (Russell @ April 11 2006,16:49)
I suspect he's phallocephalic.

:D
I'm gonna start using this word regularly from now on! Too bad we don't have one with a similar meaning in Greece...

--------------

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,12:05   

Thor, if by "common American reference" you mean "common reference by those Americans who use words without trying to find out what they mean first", then I guess you're right.
Try here for starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual

--------------

Jay Ray

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,12:18   

Duh.

Homo = same
Sexual = gender

It's synonymous with plain ol' gay.

Ergo, anyone that is homosexual prefers sex within their gender.  Male, female, or otherwise.

Lesbian is specific to homosexual females.

Male homosexuals don't have a non-derogatory term associated with them, but I'm sure you can think of several.

Perhaps unsatisfactory and confusing to a linear thinking machine like T-Diddy, but true nonetheless.  The universe is an analog process, mate. Get with the program!

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,12:29   

Maybe neither of you are American?  Homosexual is commonly used to mean gay MALES while lesbian refers to gay FEMALES
First I've heard that, and I've lived in America my whole life.
But hey! Don't take my word for it (or Merriam-Webster's). Why don't you poll all your gay friends?  :D :D :D
Consider the possibility that you're just as wrong in your other perceptions as you so obviously are on this.

--------------

Seven Popes

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,13:29   

Thordaddy,
A "gay gene" would NOT refute ID BECAUSE such a gene would further strain the credibility of evolutionary theory.  A "gay gene" would bolster the credibility of ID.
explain.
1.A "gay gene" would NOT refute ID BECAUSE such a gene would further strain the credibility of evolutionary theory.

Evolution clearly predicts that there will be products of gene combinations which are not beneficial to the reproductive or survival abilities of a species.  This neatly explains stupid hillbillies.  They tend to die in tragic lawn mower racing accidents, or because they didn't know that driving off ether to produce Methamphetamines is best done with a vacum, not by boiling on an open gas flame.  Yet, near where I live they have established an enclave, and are thriving.  

2.A "gay gene" would bolster the credibility of ID.

Proof that the designer wanted there to be gay people? And that the designer genetically hard-coded the Gayness into them?  This is going to be great. :0

--------------

thordaddy

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,13:43   

Seven Popes,

Since we assumed your "gay gene" for the purpose of answering your question, can we now explain what exactly is a "gay gene?"

You seem to suggest that such a "gay gene" would be equivalent to a  "hillbilly gene."  Can we say these represent bad mutations?  

When I say a "gay gene" will bolster ID, I say this with the understanding that the "gay gene" will be mocked by the masses as corrupt science and a "gay gene" has no real meaning further undermining evolutionary theory.

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,13:47   

Exactly... "what evidence" is there for a genetic component for homosexuality?  This is what I keep looking for and since we cannot find it I make the crazy assumption that is represents a choice.
Your're right it is crazy, assuming that it is purely psychological that is no reason to think it represents choice. It also could be due to hormone levels during pregnancy, this is neither genetic nor a choice.

Are you honestly asserting that this takes place in the public school system outside fringe cases?  You seem to know little about the ethos and political leanings of most of the teachers in the US public school system.
Fair enough, but I am asking your opinion on whether it is acceptable to tell children who might be experiencing these feelings that they are not freaks or bad people. I am not sure what does take place in the US school system, but the I don't think that saying homosexuality is 'normal' (although I think this is unnessecary at best) if that is what people are saying, will increase the number of people who decide to be gay. Telling people the potential consequences of entering the 'gay lifestyle' is a good idea, and I know I was certainly taught it when I was in high school (although where I grew up students on average took more drugs and caught more stds than homosexuals).

can we now explain what exactly is a "gay gene?"
The gay gene codes for the transcription factor Sodomase, which increases estrogen production during development. :D ...maybe.

Seven Popes

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2006,14:19   

Quote (thordaddy @ April 11 2006,18:43)
Seven Popes,

Since we assumed your "gay gene" for the purpose of answering your question, can we now explain what exactly is a "gay gene?"

You seem to suggest that such a "gay gene" would be equivalent to a  "hillbilly gene."  Can we say these represent bad mutations?  

When I say a "gay gene" will bolster ID, I say this with the understanding that the "gay gene" will be mocked by the masses as corrupt science and a "gay gene" has no real meaning further undermining evolutionary theory.

1.)Thordaddy,

The one you mentioned in your post:
Posted: April 04 2006,20:41    
There is new talk of a "gay gene" being profferred by "scientists."

My question is this;

Would this not represent a refutation of evolution?  Or more modestly, would this not at the minimum represent a bad mutation naturally selected?  What in evolution would justify a selection of a "gay gene?"

I assumed you knew what you were talking about.
2.)Thordaddy:

Thordaddy, is English your second language?  I wrote in my post:
Evolution clearly predicts that there will be products of gene combinations which are not beneficial to the reproductive or survival abilities of a species.

3.)Thordaddy:

The masses don't have to understand.  The masses are free to mock.  If science is right, than it is right. My question is a simple one,
I just want to know Thordaddy, IF a gene or set of genes is found to cause homosexuality, would this refute Intelligent Design?  
nineth try Thordaddy, would a "gay gene" refute I.D?

--------------

112 replies since April 06 2006,06:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]