RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 664 665 666 667 668 [669] 670 671 672 673 674 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,16:55   

Someone who has Dembski's jewels in a vise told him to wise up or ship out.  My theory.

What, someone saw his "vise strategy" and figured that if he was promoting it, he couldn't complain if he were the subject?

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,16:56   

Quote (Tom Ames @ Oct. 02 2007,16:57)
Quote (olegt @ Oct. 02 2007,11:32)
Meantime, Dembski is back on the EIL list:  
http://cayman.globat.com/~trademarksnet.com/Research/EILab/People.html

Anyone look at the CV of Dembski's colleague Thomas English?

It's on what looks like the website for his apartment (which he's given the grandiose title 'Bounded Theoretics'), and shows that Dr. English has spent 8 of the last 10 years as a "Researcher" for "The Tom English Project". Not even a Senior or Staff Scientist--just a "researcher"!

Reminds me of that "Smartest Guy in the World" character who was on ARN for awhile, and who wrote a chapter for Dembski's book on ever-so-smart people who agree with him. (Langdon was his name, I think.)

Tom English participated in a notorious debate once conducted on UD vis a ridiculous notion on evolutionary simulations advanced by Gil Dodg'em. He is (or at least was) quite anti-ID and effectively assisted several commenters in showing Gil for the fool he was. Gil was eventually driven to claim that his original post was humor. A number of participants were eventually banned as the thread wound down, including yours truly.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Tom Ames

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,17:11   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Oct. 02 2007,14:56)
Tom English participated in a notorious debate once conducted on UD vis a ridiculous notion on evolutionary simulations advanced by Gil Dodg'em....

That's very interesting. Maybe he's a couple of cuts above Langan et al.

Still, it's kind of funny that he lists "Researcher, The Tom English Project" as an entry on his CV. It takes a certain amount of either cluelessness or narcissism to think that you'll be taken seriously for listing yourself as the research institute you're employed by.

(It's also possible that he's got a sense of humor that I'm too dense to appreciate.)

--------------
-Tom Ames

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,17:48   

Quote (olegt @ Oct. 02 2007,13:32)
Meantime, Dembski is back on the EIL list:  
http://cayman.globat.com/~trademarksnet.com/Research/EILab/People.html

Odd: Bill's affiliation is given as 'Southwestern Seminary', not its full name, 'Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary'. There a reason for that?

So now that Bill's name is back on a web page, ID's research juggernaut can continue unimpeded, right? Can we count on materialism being crushed in 5 years?

Dembski’s lawyer:  OK, but Dembski's family gets to eat at the cafeteria.
Baylor:  We'll see.  Don't push it.

I have just been told by a secret informant that this detail was negotiated as well. As it stands now, Dembski's family gets to eat at the cafeteria, but they can't order pie.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,17:50   

Quote (Tom Ames @ Oct. 02 2007,17:11)
Tom English participated in a notorious debate once conducted on UD vis a ridiculous notion on evolutionary simulations advanced by Gil Dodg'em....

Still, it's kind of funny that he lists "Researcher, The Tom English Project" as an entry on his CV. It takes a certain amount of either cluelessness or narcissism to think that you'll be taken seriously for listing yourself as the research institute you're employed by.

(It's also possible that he's got a sense of humor that I'm too dense to appreciate.)

Remember, there are two different Tom Englishes.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,19:03   

Odd: Bill's affiliation is given as 'Southwestern Seminary', not its full name, 'Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary'. There a reason for that?
There wasn't enough room left after listing "Ph.D., Ph.D." to the right of his name?

Also, perhaps he is thinking that as soon as his antics make Baylor come to its senses and rehire him, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary can go hang itself, and he can go back to pretending full-time to be a scientist.  It's kind of hard to pretend to be all about science when your home institution has "Baptist Theological" in its name.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,19:05   

Quote (Tom Ames @ Oct. 02 2007,18:11)

The debate started here, and continued as we chased Gil across a few more threads over the ensuing days.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Rob

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,19:24   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Oct. 02 2007,17:48)
I have just been told by a secret informant that this detail was negotiated as well. As it stands now, Dembski's family gets to eat at the cafeteria, but they can't order pie.

I heard that the deal was that they don't get any more free lunch.

--------------
-- Rob, the fartist formerly known as 2ndclass

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,19:31   

Quote (Rob @ Oct. 02 2007,19:24)

badum Tscch!

SEE HOW ITS DONE, TARDEN CHATTERBOX?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,20:20   

Have we been a great audience?

--------------

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,20:33   

Quote (Rob @ Oct. 02 2007,19:24)

AWESOME!

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,21:13   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Oct. 02 2007,18:48)

With the exception of humble pie.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,21:23   

Quote (Altabin @ Oct. 02 2007,11:39)
Nevertheless, his post contains some moments of real self-awareness:

Without moralizing, I want to suggest a lesson in all this. Stay on topic and don’t let things get personal. I hurt my family and lost about three weeks of productive work by being consumed with anger about the injustice against Robert Marks. It’s not worth it.

"I could have been making farty noises! Damn I'll never get those three weeks back."

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,21:25   

With the exception of humble pie.

plus an all-you-can-eat special on crow.

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,21:44   

No offense, anybody; but I though real apologies went something like, "Yes, I see what I did wrong.", "Gee, I really am sorry for that.", "I'll fix that right away.", and, "It'll never happen again."

Well, maybe one of four isn't too bad to accept for these guys.  My 2c.

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,22:39   

Quote (jeffox @ Oct. 03 2007,05:44)
No offense, anybody; but I though real apologies went something like, "Yes, I see what I did wrong.", "Gee, I really am sorry for that.", "I'll fix that right away.", and, "It'll never happen again."

Well, maybe one of four isn't too bad to accept for these guys.  My 2c.

I know you are a new chum, did you miss the Dembski  'notpology' by reciprocating Bill ?

I'm sorry I can't find the actual post ..maybe RB can.

A truly inspired piece.

The really funny thing is I agree with you, however his 'apology'  by his standards is about as good as it gets.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

djmullen

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2007,23:54   

Quote (Doc Bill @ Oct. 02 2007,16:45)
Oh, come on, now!

This is Dembski.  We know Waterloo Dembski of Judge Jones Flash fame.

Dembski doesn't apologize.  No way.  Especially not to Baylor.

What's in it for Dr. Dr. to apologize to Baylor?  Dembski is a turd in Baylor's punchbowl and there ain't no way, no how that he's going to set foot on campus ever again.

Do you really think that an insincere paragraph will soak up all the venom Dembski has spit Baylor's way?  NFW.

Au contraire, I think it's his current masters at Southwest who pointed out Dembski's distinctly un-Christianlike behavior.  And how it reflected poorly on Southwest Theological to have such an outspoken jackass on their staff.

Someone who has Dembski's jewels in a vise told him to wise up or ship out.  My theory.

Like, for instance, the Board of Regents of the Southwest Baptist Theological Seminary?  I wonder what they discussed at their last meeting?

"He actually posted the home addresses and telephone numbers of the Baylor Board of Regents!!"

"How long until he gets pissed at us and posts our addresses, phone numbers, credit card numbers and mother's maiden names?"

"Can we say "pissed"?  After all, we're Baptists."

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,00:41   

"Will no one rid us of this meddlesome hyperdork?"

Tom Ames

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,00:47   

Does anyone know where the missing 3 apologized-for posts of WAD's might be archived?

--------------
-Tom Ames

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,01:17   

Tom - you can probably reconstruct two of them (and most of the comments!) from this thread.  The board of regents post can be reconstructed from the Baylor web pages and the phone directory.

Failing that, Wes must have them hidden away at DUUD.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,01:59   

Hey DaveTard...!

DCA enters clinical trials:

http://scienceblogs.com/insolen....als.php

I guess we all hope it can cure cancers - we'll have a beer if it does.

Richtard. xxx

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,02:40   

Quote (Tom Ames @ Oct. 03 2007,00:47)
Does anyone know where the missing 3 apologized-for posts of WAD's might be archived?

Some of it's still cached by google. do a site: search.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,03:05   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Oct. 03 2007,09:59)
Hey DaveTard...!

DCA enters clinical trials:

http://scienceblogs.com/insolen....als.php

I guess we all hope it can cure cancers - we'll have a beer if it does.

Richtard. xxx

THANKYOU YOU atbc POSTER BOY, APOLOGY ACCEPTED.

THIS JUST SHOWS HOW ID IS GAINING GROUND AND HOW OUR SIDE CAN CURE CANCER. I MADE SOME DCA ON MY TUG BOAT MUSHROOM LAB BEFORE THE FDA CLOSED IT DOWN WITH AGGRAVATED CHAINSAWS, MY DOGS ARE STILL IN SHOCK. I TESTED IT ON MY NEIGHBOR'S PET GERBILS BUT THEY ALL DIED SO I HOPE THAT CANADIAN UNIVERSITY IS MORE CAREFUL WITH THEIR HUMAN SUBJECTS.

MY NEIGHBOR ASKED IF I SAW ANYONE SUSPICIOUS HANGING AROUND DURING THE DAY WHILE HE WAS AT WORK, HE LOOKS AT ME FUNNY NOW.

I'LL CALL DENXE AND SEE IF SHE KNOWS ANYONE IN CANADIA WHO NEEDS HELP WITH ACTUAL BRAIN CANCER  AND NOT JUST THE SYMPTOMS HAR HAR.

THANKS AGAIN HXMX d.t.

OH BTW BILL SAID GOD CONTACTED HIM AND SAID HE WAS KEEPING A SCORESHEET AND SO FAR BILL IS AHEAD.

AND IF ANYONE ASKS, BILL CATAGORICALLY GAVE GOD A NOTPOLOGY.

PPPS. SOMEONE ASKED IF HE WAS AT A SOUTHERN BAPTIST SEMINARY.....WHATS THE BIG DEAL?  ITS NOT AS IF HIS NAME IS JOHN.

PPPPPS. again WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME   GOD APOLOGIZED*...HOMOS!!!! (d.t.)

*That is not a rhetorical question btw ...*His holyness* WAD.

*hrrm* STAY OUT OF THIS BILL YOU CONCENTRATE ON THE OLD CONTRITENESS ...YOU NEED THE PRACTICE d.T.

Don't get too carried away Springer, fat is fat. WAD

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,06:13   

I guess I understand why Luskin always feels so persecuted. A new EN&V whine implies that he didn't get the memo from Bill's real lawyers.  
It seems that it was too much for Baylor University to allow this research to be hosted under its webspace. It’s been well over a month now and the website still hasn’t gone back up. RIP Baylor Evolutionary Informatics Lab.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,07:14   

Jerry explains why Intelligent Design and Behe's Edge of Evolution are False Dichotomies.
jerry: We resort to negative information to disprove the other theories. That is essentially what Darwin did and it still remains the strongest argument against intelligence based explanations. It is also essentially what ID does best, namely showing that the other explanations cannot possibly happen and by default we are left with an intelligence based explanation which could explain life’s origin and its changes over time. That is essentially what the Edge of Evolution was about.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,07:17   

scordova resurfaces: Pioneer of non-Darwinian, Intelligent Evolutionary Design passes away...Michalski created the notion of Intelligent Evolutionary Design and advanced the hypothesis of non-Darwinian evolutionary computing.

So what did Michalski say about the Theory of Evolution?

In his prodigious treatise "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection," Darwin conceived the idea that the evolution of species is governed by "one general law, leading to the advancement of all organic beings, namely, multiply, vary, let the strongest live and the weakest die" (Darwin, 1859). In such biological or natural evolution, new organisms are created via asexual reproduction with variation (mutation) or via sexual reproduction (recombination). The underlying assumption is that the evolution process is not guided by some "external mind," but proceeds through semi-random modifications of genotypes through mutation and recombination, and progresses to more advanced forms due to the principle of the "survival of the fittest."

Addendum

scorova quoting Michalski: "In contrast to Darwinian evolution, an intellectual evolution is guided by an 'intelligent mind,'…."

Ah, the ellipsis is telling.

Michalski all the way to the period: "In contrast to Darwinian evolution, an intellectual evolution is guided by an 'intelligent mind,' that is, by humans who analyze advantages and disadvantages of previous generation of solutions and use the developed understanding in creating next generation of solutions."

That is, by humans.

Ryszard Michalski

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,07:27   

Quote (Zachriel @ Oct. 03 2007,15:17)
scordova resurfaces: Pioneer of non-Darwinian, Intelligent Evolutionary Design passes away...Michalski created the notion of Intelligent Evolutionary Design and advanced the hypothesis of non-Darwinian evolutionary computing.

So what did Michalski say about the Theory of Evolution?

In his prodigious treatise "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection," Darwin conceived the idea that the evolution of species is governed by "one general law, leading to the advancement of all organic beings, namely, multiply, vary, let the strongest live and the weakest die" (Darwin, 1859). In such biological or natural evolution, new organisms are created via asexual reproduction with variation (mutation) or via sexual reproduction (recombination). The underlying assumption is that the evolution process is not guided by some "external mind," but proceeds through semi-random modifications of genotypes through mutation and recombination, and progresses to more advanced forms due to the principle of the "survival of the fittest."

Ryszard Michalski

Never trust a man with a smirk in a sleeveless pullover.

--------------

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,09:26   

Sleeveless pullovers are not cool.

However, apropos nothing, El Camino SS's rock.

OT: Any AtBCers in the Hampton Roads area of VA, where I'll be a livin' as of next week?

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,09:29   

Quote (dheddle @ Oct. 03 2007,09:26)
Sleeveless pullovers are not cool.

However, apropos nothing, El Camino SS's rock.

OT: Any AtBCers in the Hampton Roads area of VA, where I'll be a livin' as of next week?

Wooo Hooo Heddle's up for beers!

I'll be at a wedding in DC, trying to give a best man speech that frames the to-be-married-miscreant in a good light. Is that close?

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2007,09:33   

Quote (k.e @ Oct. 02 2007,23:39)
I'm sorry I can't find the actual post ..maybe RB can.

A truly inspired piece.

Easiest just to point to the image again (notpologies for the double post):

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 664 665 666 667 668 [669] 670 671 672 673 674 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]