RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 486 487 488 489 490 [491] 492 493 494 495 496 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2007,12:59   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ April 27 2007,12:42)

In that sense, it’s a victory for those of us who are convinced that RM+NS does not get you a cat from a dinosaur.

Cats are not dinosaurs. Cats eat dinosaurs — when they can catch them.

Not always. I know someone whose cat got nabbed by a Golden Eagle.

I also saw a Redtailed hawk go after (but not catch) a chihuahua. Seriously.

So those are cases of dinosaurs going after mammals.  :)

As a young boy I once witnessed a cat and some birds (some sorta gull I think) in next doors garden. The birds where at one side and the cat the other. The cat was trying to sneak up on the birds. When the cat got fair close the birds (almost as one), flew into the air and landed on the other side of the same garden. This was repeated several times until I had to leave (I am not suggesting that they stopped when I left BTW [I just don't know how it al ended]).

Now I am possibly projecting here, but it seemed to me that those birds where taking the piss out of that cat. It was fun to watch regardless (obviously or I would have forgotten all about it).

EDIT: WOW! That was OT. I wonder what prompted that memory? (Yes, yes, obviously something to do with the cat/bird thing but I am not sure exactly what it was).

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2007,13:12   

I wonder what prompted that memory

NOT MATERIALISM, THAT'S FOR SURE.

:angry:

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2007,13:41   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 27 2007,13:12)
I wonder what prompted that memory

NOT MATERIALISM, THAT'S FOR SURE.

:angry:

Obviously not. Memories are divine after all is said and dunce.....right? HOMO!

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2007,13:54   

yeah, I can remember a time before I knew what DS looked like. Oh happy days.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2007,14:23   

In that sense, it’s a victory for those of us who are convinced that RM+NS does not get you a cat from a dinosaur.

In our area, Great Horned Owls munch on domestic cats.  I advised the manager of a wildlife reserve on how to prevent cats from a new housing development from killing endagered birds and such that she had on the reserve; a few months before the houses went on sale, we put out cat food along the boarder wall between the reserve and the new houses.  The coyotes became very fond of patroling the wall.  :D

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2007,14:53   

If you hunt dinosaurs, the hunter may well become the hunted.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2007,14:59   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ April 26 2007,18:53)

"But," Comfort continued, "there is something more sinister here than a few people not believing in God. Why would so many be so bitter against Christianity in particular? Why aren't they making videos that blaspheme Buddha or Mohammed or Ghandi?

Last time I checked, neither Buddha, Mohammed or Ghandi (sic) are considered to be deities? Isn't blasphemy restricted to deities? These people definitely need to get out more (as if we didn't know that already).

I can kinda understand Mohammed and Buddha, but Ghandi?

And to answer Ray Comfort, the reason people aren't bitter toward Budhism in the US is because no one is trying to shove Budhism down anyone's throat. And he doesn't think people are bitter toward Islam? What world is he living in?

ADDED: And when DaveScot gains weight, does that violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics? Maybe he's a "mesomorph" because he violates it so easily?

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2007,15:28   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-118018
SChessman:
Ironically, this may mean that Lucy could have more chance of being man’s direct ancestor under an ID perspective than under NDE, since ID allows for “pre-programmed” macroevolution as the result of design in the activation of hidden information in the genetic code. Front-end loading allows for abrupt and unpredictable transformation.
Troll?
http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-118142
gpuccio engages in some projection:
The point is, evidence must be evidence. The failure of accepted evidence which was supposed to be sound is a very bad indicator, although in some measure it can be considered physiological.
Physiological? or psychological? Whatever. He fails to see that it was "evilutionists" who, after seeing the evidence, were the ones to correct the theory.

Also this is great:
http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=629
The thread starter is Christ in Cheryl. Ew. That reminds me of when EWric Cartman said he would get on his knees and start pleasing  Jesus.

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2007,22:59   

More "global warming is good for plants" hype.
“All the money wasted on Kyoto in a year could provide clean drinking water for Africa,” said Patterson. “We’re into a new era of science with the discussion of solar forces. Eventually, Kyoto is going to fall by the wayside. In the meantime, I’m worried we’re going to spend millions that could have been spent on something better like air pollution.”

Tom Harris, executive director of the Natural Resources Stewardship Project - an organization that attempts to debunk some of the popular beliefs about climate change - supported Patterson’s findings.

Tom Harris's group, the Natural Resources Stewardship Project is a non-profit formed by former lobbyists in Canada. Tim Patterson is not a climatologist, but he has made a certain name for himself as a "maverick" scientist.

Actually, the journal Science had a really good article in 2005 regarding decentralized efforts to contain global warming by nations, including developing countries, and a number of US firms, and recommends development, not punishing developing countries for it. (Victor, D.G., House, J.C., & Joy, S. (2005, Sept. 16). A Madisonian approach to climate policy. Science, 309(5742), 1820-21.)

What gets ignored here is that global warming is not "good" for all plants. Pines are already marching north, and those people in outstate New York who allegedly would like to never see snow again will see disease spread amongst deciduous trees, particularly sugar maples, due to drier ground (due to less snow) and the spread of destructive insects.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: April 28 2007,13:25   

Crikey! When are you dumbasses going to give this up?

Discovery Institute and FRC present:

Washington DC Event - Darwin’s Dangerous Idea The Disturbing Legacy of America’s Eugenics Crusade.

I thought that even the D-man himself said that directed evolution was intelligent design!

Demski even asks the question, is directed evolution Darwinian? His answer:    
So let me spell it out: DIRECTED EVOLUTION IS NON-DARWINIAN.
“Directed evolution” properly falls under ID.
Eugenics, according to William Dembski, is ID not Darwinism.

Are you listening Cordova? Does it matter?

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: April 28 2007,15:20   

Quote (phonon @ April 28 2007,13:25)

Discovery Institute and FRC present:

Washington DC Event - Darwin’s Dangerous Idea The Disturbing Legacy of America’s Eugenics Crusade.

I am wondering what the response of the fundamentalist churches was to the American eugenics program?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . . . .

Hey, what was the response of the American fundamentalist churches to the civil rights movement and to school desegregation?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh . . . . .

What year did Bob Jones University first begin accepting black students, and why?

What year did Bob Jones University stop expelling students for inter-racial dating, and why?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . .  

Anyone see any, uh, pattern here . . . . . ?

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: April 28 2007,16:31   

Wow, the Bob Jones thing is pretty interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University#History
Although it admitted Asians and other minorities from its inception, BJU refused to enroll black students until 1971, eight years after the University of South Carolina and Clemson University had been integrated by court order. From 1971 to 1975, BJU admitted only married blacks, although the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) had already determined in 1970 that "private schools with racially discriminatory admissions policies" were not entitled to federal tax exemption. Late in 1971, BJU filed suit to prevent the IRS from taking its tax exemption, but in 1974, in Bob Jones University v. Simon, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the University did not have standing to sue until the IRS actually assessed taxes. Four months later, on May 29, 1975, the University Board of Trustees authorized a change in policy to admit "students of any race," a move that occurred shortly before the announcement of the Supreme Court decision in Runyon v. McCrary (427 U.S. 160 [1976]), which prohibited racial exclusion in private schools.[38]

The university did not admit unmarried blacks until 1975. In a 2000 interview, the then-president, Bob Jones III, said that interracial dating had been prohibited since 1950s and that the policy had originated in a complaint by parents of a male Asian student who believed that their son had "nearly married" a white girl.[39] In May 1975, as it prepared to allow unmarried blacks to enroll, BJU adopted more detailed rules prohibiting interracial dating and marriage—threatening expulsion for any student who dated or married interracially, who advocated interracial marriage, who was "affiliated with any group or organization which holds as one of its goals or advocates interracial marriage," or "who espouse, promote, or encourage others to violate the University's dating rules and regulations." [40]

On January 19, 1976, the Internal Revenue Service notified the University that its tax exemption had been revoked retroactively to December 1, 1970. The school appealed the IRS decision all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, arguing that the University met all other criteria for tax-exempt status and that the school's racial discrimination was based on sincerely held religious beliefs, that "God intended segregation of the races and that the Scriptures forbid interracial marriage." [41] The University was not challenged about the origin of its interracial dating policy, and the District Court accepted "on the basis of a full evidentiary record" BJU's argument that the rule was a sincerely held religious conviction, a finding affirmed by all subsequent courts.[42] In December 1978, the federal district court ruled in the University's favor; two years later, that decision was overturned by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.

On January 8, 1982, just before the case was to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court, President Ronald Reagan authorized his Treasury and Justice Departments to ask that the BJU case be dropped and that the previous court decisions be vacated. Political pressure quickly brought the Reagan administration to reverse itself and to ask the Court to reinstate the case. Then, in a virtually unprecedented move, the Court invited William T. Coleman, Jr. to argue the government's position in an amicus curiae brief, thus ensuring that the prosecution's position would be the one the Court wished to hear. [43] The case was heard on October 12, 1982, and on May 24, 1983, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against Bob Jones University in Bob Jones University v. United States (461 U.S. 574). The University refused to reverse its interracial dating policy and (with difficulty) paid a million dollars in back taxes. Also, in the year following the Court decision, contributions to the University declined by 13 percent.

In 2000, following a media uproar prompted by the visit of presidential candidate George W. Bush to the University, Bob Jones III abruptly dropped the interracial dating rule, announcing the change on CNN's "Larry King Live."[44] Five years later when asked by Newsweek for his view of the rule change, the current president, Stephen Jones, replied, "I've never been more proud of my dad...the night he lifted that policy."[45]

Despite its history on racial issues, BJU today has a student body that includes many international and minority students and a number of interracial couples, including members of the faculty and staff. The University has also established two 501©(3) charitable organizations to provide scholarship assistance solely for minority students.[46]

here are some interesting eugenics bits from the past

http://www.eugenicsarchive.org/eugenic....ailed=0

http://eugenicsarchive.bii.a-star.edu.sg/eugenic....dpage=2

--------------

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,09:18   

I picked up a book last week called Mapping Human History; Genes, Race and Our Common Origins by Steve Olson that I am finding facinating. It has helped me understand the issue of "race" (which is actually an artificial divide) and makes the BJU issue even more ironic. I'm 3/4 of the way through, and I highly recommend it.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,10:06   

Salvador Cordova actually does some ID research and publishes in a peer-reviewed journal!

Ha ha, just kidding. He blames Darwin for Hitler. Bo-ring.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,10:14   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....notions
Arthur Stanley Eddington, Darwinists, and Repugnant Notions
GilDodgen

I have no “philosophical axe to grind” in this discussion. Philosophically, the notion of a beginning of the present order of Nature is repugnant to me.

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,11:22   

Quote (stevestory @ April 29 2007,10:06)
Salvador Cordova actually does some ID research and publishes in a peer-reviewed journal!

I find Sal one of the most anoying people on the internet. He writes an awfull lot of posts that use a shitload of long words but don't actually say anything.
"Word sald" seems to be the current buzzword.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,11:31   

Whilst "word salad" is reduced to being the current buzz-phrase.

<insert "I am an annoying pedant smiley" here>

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,19:19   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ April 29 2007,11:22)
Quote (stevestory @ April 29 2007,10:06)

I find Sal one of the most anoying people on the internet. He writes an awfull lot of posts that use a shitload of long words but don't actually say anything.
"Word sald" seems to be the current buzzword.

Two items; "word salad" is a semi-technical term regarding the verbal behavior of unmedicated schitzophrenics suffering from severe loose assocaition.

The notion I just had was that the creationists can not grasp that in the early 1900s "darwinism" was challenged by genetics.  Evolution and genetics were seen at the time as seperate, antagonistic theories.

Genetics, agricultural breeding, and the germ theory of disease were the scientific supports for eugenics.  Darwin's own letters to Galton were loaded with reservations.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,19:45   

Davetard, that ID Peer reviewed journal - "WND" and FTK.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/off-top....in-k-12

(Tard!)^Tard

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,20:02   

What gets ignored here is that global warming is not "good" for all plants. Pines are already marching north,

it's even more complicated than that.

there's been a horrible die-off of many species of pines here in the SW over the last 20 years, and a lot of that is tied to the increased survivability of bark beetle larvae due to progressively warmer winters.

you might have heard of the horrendous wildfires in CA over the last few years?

most of that is due to the tremendous number of dead trees from the beetle infestations, combined with 10 years plus of below average rainfall.

climate shifts affect entire ecologies, not just individual species, but deniers, of course, are incapable of thinking past single species effects (think: spotted owl vs. old growth forest).

speaking of which, the Bush adminstration was all set to completely gut the ESA last month.  anybody know what the upshot of all that effort was?

there was a story on it in salon too:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/03/27/endangered_species/

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,20:22   

The UDiods argue about suicide.

Will Davetard ban Francis Beckwith?

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,21:12   

WitlesS worries about the irreversibility of suicide:

WinglesS  04/28/2007   12:14 pm

...I do not think that it is right to legalize one’s own unatural death. People can have a change of heart, no matter how rational you think he was when he made the choice to die. There is no second chance when the person is dead.

You might change your mind about suicide after having carried out the act.

Now that's a problem.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,21:39   

UrbanMysticDee makes my day:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/off-top....-119120

UrbanMysticDee

04/29/2007

8:33 pm
That’s why should I be blessed with children one day I’m home-schooling them. There’s just too many stupid rules that violate a child’s First Amendment rights and violate a parent’s right to raise their child in an ethical, nonpostmodern way (no moral relativism).

Non postmodern = premodern or modern?

FtK, get your moral outrage on. These poor urchins have *no* chance in the modern (postmodern?) world.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,22:03   

The problem with the term Postmodern is like the problem with all superlative names. If you call something New Technology, what do you call its replacement, years hence? I think an example I saw was Supercollider. What do you call its successor? Ultracollider? What about the Ultracollider's successor? You run out of superlatives pretty quickly.

And this whole thing about postmodernism and moral relativity is basically a fiction sold to people who haven't been inside a classroom lately. Because if you have been, it's kind of hard to believe that professors are all value-neutral hippies commanding students to just do what feels right. I graduated college in 2005, and I can't recall one instance of a professor taking an absurdly nonjudgemental position. It's just a political move, smearing whole institutions with the occasional whacko news story.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,22:10   

the "incredulity to metanarratives" bit resonates with me. It seems to sit with Popper's Historicism concept. Care not for Dogma.

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,22:11   

Quote (Ichthyic @ April 29 2007,20:02)

What gets ignored here is that global warming is not "good" for all plants. Pines are already marching north,

it's even more complicated than that.

there's been a horrible die-off of many species of pines here in the SW over the last 20 years, and a lot of that is tied to the increased survivability of bark beetle larvae due to progressively warmer winters.

you might have heard of the horrendous wildfires in CA over the last few years?

most of that is due to the tremendous number of dead trees from the beetle infestations, combined with 10 years plus of below average rainfall.

climate shifts affect entire ecologies, not just individual species, but deniers, of course, are incapable of thinking past single species effects (think: spotted owl vs. old growth forest).

speaking of which, the Bush adminstration was all set to completely gut the ESA last month.  anybody know what the upshot of all that effort was?

there was a story on it in salon too:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/03/27/endangered_species/

It should be remembered by all here at least, that Panda's Thumb contributers Ed Brayton, and Timothy Sandefur are rabid opponents of environmental protection or any form of government regualtion of mining, logging etc...

They call it "Libretarianism" and they are strong supporters of the The Cato Institute which is the source of George II's environmental attacks.  The Cato Institute is also a major opponent of all forms of public education.  Sandefur is a fellow of the Pacific Legal Foundation, which is best known for attempting to overturn protections granted under the EPA and particularly the Endangered Species Act to all species threatened by forest clear-cutting in the Pacific Northwest.  The Pacific Legal Foundation was also very proud of their recent successful efforts to segregate schools in southern California.  Sandefur's personal specialty, IIRC, is to eliminate worker protection laws.

This is a major reason I dropped out of PT- any operation supporting science education should never tolerate people opposed to science and education.

Edited by Dr.GH on April 29 2007,22:13

--------------

IanBrown_101

(Permalink) Posted: April 29 2007,22:46   

Quote (stevestory @ April 29 2007,22:03)
The problem with the term Postmodern is like the problem with all superlative names. If you call something New Technology, what do you call its replacement, years hence? I think an example I saw was Supercollider. What do you call its successor? Ultracollider? What about the Ultracollider's successor? You run out of superlatives pretty quickly.

And this whole thing about postmodernism and moral relativity is basically a fiction sold to people who haven't been inside a classroom lately. Because if you have been, it's kind of hard to believe that professors are all value-neutral hippies commanding students to just do what feels right. I graduated college in 2005, and I can't recall one instance of a professor taking an absurdly nonjudgemental position. It's just a political move, smearing whole institutions with the occasional whacko news story.

Now, are you saying that the prevalence of postmodernism and moral relativity is the fiction, or do I have the wrong end of the stick?

Oh, ad what's wrong with moral relativism? (Not that I'm accusing you of attacking it)

--------------
I'm not the fastest or the baddest or the fatest.

You NEVER seem to address the fact that the grand majority of people supporting Darwinism in these on line forums and blogs are atheists. That doesn't seem to bother you guys in the least. - FtK

Roddenberry is my God.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,01:04   

Borne:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/off-top....-119194

Borne

04/30/2007

12:54 am
Gender neutral everything huh?

This proves that if you teach people that they are mere animals they will end up acting worse than animals.

Nature is not gender neutral. Never will be.

The inane drones that produce this kind of “legislation” ought to be put out to pasture on some maximum security “funny farm”.

Personally I’m so sick & tired of “gays” and their disgusting agenda for the rest of us.

They cannot reproduce themselves, thus they do what they can to “convert” you, your wife and your kids to their image, in their likeness.

Like the men of Sodom, they wish you to become a partner (and target) in perversion. Golden showers, fisting, excrement galore… utterly disgusting.

This legislative effort is nothing less than mass indoctrination & proselytism. Another major effort to confuse and abuse you. They are planning the same interventions in Canada as well.

If we all were to go gay tomorrow the human race would be extinct in less than a century.

Calling homosexuals “gay” (happy, joyful) is like calling a defective old Lada a luxury automobile. They are the most unhappy people on Earth.

Next on the agenda? Legalized bestiality, incest and pedophilia. Just a question of time - like the “boiled frog” syndrome - they bring it on slowly, little by little without our immediate awareness til we are all nicely boiled and ready for spoil.

Time for a national spiritual awakening or goodbye USA and Canada. Time to get rid of Darwinism, post-modern clap-trap and their ravaging consequences on human life and morals.

10/tard for this one, bonus points for the knuckle-dragger putting scare quotes around 'gays'.

--------------

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,01:23   

Gary Hurd wrote:
It should be remembered by all here at least, that Panda's Thumb contributers Ed Brayton, and Timothy Sandefur are rabid opponents of environmental protection or any form of government regualtion of mining, logging etc...

But Ed Brayton at least does not seem to be a rabid global warming denier judging by his recent comments.

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: April 30 2007,04:26   

You might change your mind about suicide after having carried out the act.

he11, you can change your mind during the act, simply by using a gun to your temple.

bullets change minds all the time.

it's just really hard to change it back again, that's all.

Nature is not gender neutral.

wtf does that mean?  surely whoever wrote that must have at some time in their life heard of asexual reproduction?

in fact, I'd say that gender is the minority case.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 486 487 488 489 490 [491] 492 493 494 495 496 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]