RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (100) < ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... >   
  Topic: FL "Debate Thread", READ FIRST POST BEFORE PARTICIPATING PLZ< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,14:43   

Quote (dheddle @ Oct. 01 2009,13:50)
FL,

Augustine did not take Genesis literally.  Instantaneous does not mean six days. Instantaneous creation is an infinite number of orders of magnitude different from six days. A 14 bya universe only differs by a mere 12 OOM. In that sense, Augustine is the most radical non-literalist of all time. He would say to you: "My god don't need no six days to create a universe!"

FL does not care one wit that St Augustine was a biblical literalist or not, all he cares about is quotemining and distorting what others have said in order to support his own ridiculous, fallacious claims.

FloydLee

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,15:23   

It no longer requires
God as creator or designer (although one is certainly still free to believe in God even if one accepts evolution).

Ummm, Dan.....Please notice Mayr does not offer you any rational reason to continue "believing in God" after pointing out that evolution no longer requires God as creator or designer.

Mayr is NOT removing the Incompatibility, ohhhh no he's not.  He just says that, given the situation at hand, you're at least personally free to believe whatever you want about God's existence (but he's not supplying you any rational reasons for it).  

You're free to believe whatever you want about God, he says, as long as you understand that,  because of evolution), God is NO LONGER the required explanation for biological origins, including the origin of humans.  Period.

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,15:34   

Quote (FloydLee @ Oct. 01 2009,15:23)
It no longer requires
God as creator or designer (although one is certainly still free to believe in God even if one accepts evolution).

Ummm, Dan.....Please notice Mayr does not offer you any rational reason to continue "believing in God" after pointing out that evolution no longer requires God as creator or designer.

Mayr is NOT removing the Incompatibility, ohhhh no he's not.  He just says that, given the situation at hand, you're at least personally free to believe whatever you want about God's existence (but he's not supplying you any rational reasons for it).  

You're free to believe whatever you want about God, he says, as long as you understand that,  because of evolution), God is NO LONGER the required explanation for biological origins, including the origin of humans.  Period.

So, FL is saying that either we have to believe that God magically and mysteriously poofed everything, including people, plants and fake evidence, into existence 6,000 years ago, or we're automatically godless heathens who automatically reject Jesus.

And yet, FL thinks the Christians against him here have weak faith.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,15:36   

He just says that, given the situation at hand, you're at least personally free to believe whatever you want about God's existence (but he's not supplying you any rational reasons for it).  
If there were rational reasons for believing there wouldn't be any need for this messy faith thing.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Jasper

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,15:41   

It seems to me that FL's main issue is that he lacks faith and instead requires "rational reasons to believe in God."

Jesus didn't think that people needed "rational reasons to believe" in him. Check out John 20:29.

FloydLee

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,15:47   

Augustine did not take Genesis literally.

But some Genesis things, Augustine DID take literally.  We know this from his own writings.

Like, the earth being less than 6000 years old.  He wrote that.  He meant that.  Literally.  

Another example:  The Genesis account of a global Noahic Flood.  He took that one literally.  Not allegorical.  Literal history, period.

Instantaneous does not mean six days.

But it does mean YEC.  It only rationally fits in with YEC beliefs (a less than 6000-yr-old Earth).  

It's not ever gonna fit the OEC category, nope.  And it sure will never ever qualify Augie for TE. 

Instantaneous creation is an infinite number of orders of magnitude different from six days.

Yes it is.  Also infinitely different from 14 billion years (universe) or 4.6 billion years (earth).

In that sense, Augustine is the most radical non-literalist of all time. He would say to you: "My god don't need no six days to create a universe!"

And he would say to you, "And He don't need to wait around for any 14 billion years (nor 4.6 billion years) either.  He can do it instantly, and He did."

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,15:47   

Quote (FloydLee @ Oct. 01 2009,15:23)

It no longer requires

Well sure...he isn't obligated to come up with reasons why someone ought to continue believing in any god, nevermind the Christian one. All he is noting there is that evolution isn't incompatible with such a belief. That evolution doesn't require a god doesn't mean that a god can't exist, so people are perfectly free to believe in whatever god they like since evolution and the Theory of it doesn't impact such.

Mayr is NOT removing the Incompatibility, ohhhh no he's not.  

Oh oh...oh yes yes, my dear...he is.

He just says that, given the situation at hand, you're at least personally free to believe whatever you want about God's existence (but he's not supplying you any rational reasons for it).

See above. If you need a rational reason to believe in your god, Floyd, then your faith is even more tenuous than I originally thought. The fact is, believing in any god is not rational, so once again, there is no reason why Mayr would even consider offering an obviously erroneous comment on such. Why you choose to believe in a god is your business, not Mayr's. Mayr need only note that whatever god you believe in and whatever religion you follow regarding that god, such is need no longer needed as an explanation for how life diversified on this planet.  

Sure...god is no longer required. Funny how you keep ignoring that this isn't the same thing as god is prohibited and that the former is perfectly compatible with Christianity. If you want to invoke a god as having a hand in biological origins, have at it. Doesn't contradict evolution.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

FloydLee

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,15:59   

So, FL is saying that either we have to believe that God magically and mysteriously poofed everything, including people, plants and fake evidence, into existence 6,000 years ago, or we're automatically godless heathens who automatically reject Jesus.

Hmmm.  You wouldn't be mis-representing my position a little, would you, Stanton?

rhmc

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,16:04   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Oct. 01 2009,11:08)
floyd do you also go by Daniel Smith?

>snort, snort<

nmgirl

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,16:26   

Quote (FloydLee @ Oct. 01 2009,15:59)

Hmmm.  You wouldn't be mis-representing my position a little, would you, Stanton?

I think this nicely summarizes your position, FL

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,16:53   

Quote (FloydLee @ Oct. 01 2009,15:59)

No.

Isn't the whole point of your ridiculous "five points of incompatibility between Evolution and Christianity" about how the only way to be a Christian is to believe in a God who magically and mysteriously poofed the whole world and everything in it into existence as according to a literal reading of the mistranslation of the Book of Genesis or else, even though Jesus gave very different reasons for denying people Salvation?

FloydLee

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,17:11   

The fact is, believing in any god is not rational....

Hmmm.   Just gotta comment on that one.

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.

----Rom. 1:20

Believing in God is a VERY rational act because you would be basing that decision on observational evidence, as Romans 1:20 makes clear.

In fact, it's so rational that anybody who chooses to adopt atheism or agnosticism is WITHOUT EXCUSE for doing so.  Something to think about, for sure.

Hope you're not an atheist or agnostic, Robin.....!

rhmc

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,17:26   

Quote (FloydLee @ Oct. 01 2009,18:11)

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.

Believing in God is a VERY rational act because you would be basing that decision on observational evidence, as Romans 1:20 makes clear.

In fact, it's so rational that anybody who chooses to adopt atheism or agnosticism is WITHOUT EXCUSE for doing so.  Something to think about, for sure.

i have seen no god, clearly or otherwise, nor any proof of one.  

so if you gots it, trots it on out.

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,17:29   

Quote (FloydLee @ Oct. 01 2009,17:11)

Why do you care if Robin was an atheist or not, FL?

Is your own faith in God and Jesus so frail that it's threatened by other people's beliefs or lack thereof?

That is, besides the fact that (biological) reality also threatens your frail faith?

Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,18:04   

OK, Christianity is incompatible with evolution because Floyd is the Only True Christian and evolution is a theory scientists made up when they got together and voted to fabricate 150 years of scientific work that falsely showed God doesn't exist.  Am I missing anything?

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,18:10   

Quote (Occam's Toothbrush @ Oct. 01 2009,19:04)
OK, Christianity is incompatible with evolution because Floyd is the Only True Christian and evolution is a theory scientists made up when they got together and voted to fabricate 150 years of scientific work that falsely showed God doesn't exist.  Am I missing anything?

Not really

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,19:03   

Quote (FloydLee @ Oct. 01 2009,17:11)

You should be more concerned about your lack of understanding, per Romans 1:20:

" God's invisible qualities...being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse"

Being a YEC, you don't "understand," don't want to understand and instead avoid understanding so that you can play minor prophet. With that avoidance -- and willingness to parrot YEC claims without question --  also comes an eagerness to abandon ethics or honesty. That puts you in conflict with that passage, Floyd. Along with reality.

The fact is that you pick and choose what bits of the Bible you will and will not take literally, Floyd. And out of deep ignorance and fear, you choose to avoid what the rocks themselves say in favor of bibliolatry ;  worshipping your chosen bits of the Bible, with you as head priest.  

I'll "pass" on your brand of "understanding," Floyd.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,19:43   

gods are no longer the required explanation for why water runs downhill.

that doesn't mean it's not part of the plumbing plan for my house.

"part of god's plan" has no explanatory power.  it carries no water.  does no explanatory work.  what else is there to say about it?

floyd are you really this dense or is this extra credit for some class at southwestern jesus tech?

ETA I removed "stupid" and replaced it with "dense".  I am not sure which has more explanatory power, but I hold out that Floyd just might be capable of self-reflection and consider that scientific explanations don't start with the beginning of the universe and what God had for breakfast that day.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,20:37   

hey Floyd! Do you frown upon shrimps or lobster? Would you stone your child to death if he/she is disobedient? Do you hate your daddy or your mommy?

if the answer to any of these questions is "no", then you are not a True Litteral Christian©

Christian litteralism is not a fuckin' buffet where you can pick whatever you like and leave aside the horse-radish!

Be true to yourself, if that's even possible at all...

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2009,22:51   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Oct. 01 2009,20:37)
hey Floyd! Do you frown upon shrimps or lobster? Would you stone your child to death if he/she is disobedient? Do you hate your daddy or your mommy?

if the answer to any of these questions is "no", then you are not a True Litteral Christian©

Christian litteralism is not a fuckin' buffet where you can pick whatever you like and leave aside the horse-radish!

Be true to yourself, if that's even possible at all...

Once when the topic of the laws of Deuteronomy were brought up, FL said he prefers excommunication over execution.  That is, when he could be bothered to be reminded that the Book of Deuteronomy existed, that is.

Chayanov

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2009,00:03   

So, is FL supposed to be an example of that sophisticated theology that theists keep claiming atheists are never able to address?

--------------
Help! Marxist literary critics are following me!

Stanton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2009,00:21   

Quote (Chayanov @ Oct. 02 2009,00:03)
So, is FL supposed to be an example of that sophisticated theology that theists keep claiming atheists are never able to address?

I don't think so, given as how FL apparently gives more weight to the opinions of atheists than theists concerning matters of his faith, which he then foists onto other theists in order to browbeat them into thinking exactly like he does.

Chayanov

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2009,02:25   

Quote (Stanton @ Oct. 02 2009,00:21)

Quote (Chayanov @ Oct. 02 2009,00:03)

I don't think so, given as how FL apparently gives more weight to the opinions of atheists than theists concerning matters of his faith, which he then foists onto other theists in order to browbeat them into thinking exactly like he does.

After all, theists like FL do more to advance atheism than any number of atheists could do by themselves.

--------------
Help! Marxist literary critics are following me!

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2009,02:25   

My sermon today:

I would not believe the Gospel if the authority of the Catholic Church did not compel me.
-St. Augustine

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2009,02:57   

Quote (FloydLee @ Oct. 01 2009,15:47)
But it does mean YEC.  It only rationally fits in with YEC beliefs (a less than 6000-yr-old Earth).  

It's not ever gonna fit the OEC category, nope.  And it sure will never ever qualify Augie for TE.

Do these "YEC beliefs" have an opinion on the population growth of humanity?

I.E.
Time Zero - 2 People
Time 2500BC - ? People
Today - 6.788 billion

Do you know how to graph numbers FL?

Why are you ignoring this question FL?

You go on about incompatibilities but don't seem to want to address this incompatibility. Why is that?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Keelyn

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2009,06:47   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Oct. 02 2009,03:57)
Quote (FloydLee @ Oct. 01 2009,15:47)

Do these "YEC beliefs" have an opinion on the population growth of humanity?

I.E.
Time Zero - 2 People
Time 2500BC - ? People
Today - 6.788 billion

Do you know how to graph numbers FL?

Why are you ignoring this question FL?

You go on about incompatibilities but don't seem to want to address this incompatibility. Why is that?

I don't see why this is such a big deal. All Floyd needs to do is claim that the Pyramids were formed by the Flud rather than by humans. Humans simply added some hieroglyphics and a few dead kings afterwards. There - problem solved. Seems perfectly consistent with the rest of YEC mythology.

--------------
This isn't right. This isn't even wrong. -- Wolfgang Pauli

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. -- Mark Twain

csadams

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2009,07:05   

Quote (FloydLee @ Oct. 01 2009,10:26)
Is it relevant whether the 'pro-Christianity' statement is made in a textbook? If so, should it be in a school-level one, which gives only a broad description of evolution?

If you get an evolutionist stating one of the Incompatibilities in a public high school textbook, that's a pretty serious deal.  It can make it sound like he's trying to indoctrinate instead of educate.  In the past, evolutionist Dr. Ken Miller was guilty of this in the first two editions of his high school textbook.

"Darwin knew that accepting his theory required believing in philosophical materialism, the conviction that matter is the stuff of all existence and that all mental and spiritual phenomena are its byproducts...
"Suddenly, humanity was reduced to just one more species in a world that cared nothing for us... Worst of all, there was no divine plan to guide us."

---from the FTE Amicus Brief (Kitzmiller)

And we wonder why FL doesn't provide cites for those textbooks . . . no page scans, no evidence presented that Miller actually used that terminology in those first two editions.

Likewise, no evidence that those particular editions are used in any public school district in Kansas.  No evidence that such a statement appears in current editions of Miller's textbook.  FL seems to expect us to believe there existed/exists a deliberate attempt by Miller to deceive school boards and to evade court scrutiny.  Does it really surprise anyone that FL has no evidence?  

He should stop blowing smoke and start doing some research, a la the painstaking work of Matzke & Forrest in discovering the transitional species Cdesign proponensests lying in OP&P.

(Not that blowing smoke and refusing to do science research isn't common among anti-science activists . . . . )

Parents certainly *do* need to keep an eye on their kids' texts and classwork - Freshwater, anyone?  (Oh, yeah, don't forget to check the kiddies' forearms for burned-in crosses . . . and let the kids know that if a strange handout is studied in class but the teacher won't allow kids to take it home, well, something fishy is up . . . )

*sorry for spelling goofs lately, crunched for time

--------------
Stand Up For REAL Science!

FloydLee

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2009,09:29   

Likewise, no evidence that those particular editions are used in any public school district in Kansas.  No evidence that such a statement appears in current editions of Miller's textbook.  FL seems to expect us to believe there existed/exists a deliberate attempt by Miller to deceive school boards and to evade court scrutiny.  Does it really surprise anyone that FL has no evidence?

(1) No claim was made that those two particular editions were used in Kansas.  Strawman, Csadams?

(2) I made it clear that Miller's wording was not in current editions.  I said, "the first two editions".

(3) The FTE brief makes absolutely clear what the point of the Miller example was, relative to their textbook issue.  (Which of course poked a hole right into "Matzke and Forrest's" stuff.)  

I also pointed out, relative to OUR thread topic here, that Miller's statement actually reinforced one of the Incompatibilities.

Curiously, Csadams has nothing to say to refute those actual points themselves.  Cat got your tongue Cs?  

(4) You asked about a cite.  The FTE amicus brief itself directly cited, "Joseph S. Levine and Kenneth R. Miller, Biology: Discovering Life 152 (D.C. Heath and Co., 1st ed. 1992; this language was not removed for the 2nd ed. in 1994)."  

Clear enough.  

(5) You try to link to an earlier PT discussion not related to the FTE quotation or to an Incompatibility, but that's a two way street you're walking.  Let's walk together for a minute.

"One of the biology textbooks currently used in my hometown school district, for example, introduces students to the “RNA World” hypothesis but does NOT mention any of the problems with it. Doesn’t give the student ANY indication of any troubles with it. "

Using an older edition of the same textbook, you were able to show that the last sentence needed to be retracted, which I did do precisely that.  

The first sentence remained clear and affirmed however, and there was nothing you could do about it except fall silent on the point.  Here's what I said back then:
[quote]I did not read carefully enough, it seems, especially on the back page or so, and so I admit I am mistaken on that part, since I did say the above statements.

On the other hand.…since you have CsAdam’s scans in front of you, you CAN confirm for yourself that my following statement IS in fact correct:

One of the biology textbooks currently used in my hometown school district, for example, introduces students to the “RNA World” hypothesis but does NOT mention any of the problems with it.

Go back and look at those scanned pages again before you respond.
None of the actual problems associated with the RNA World are actually mentioned in Holt 2004. Nor are the **magnitude** of the problems indicated.

(In contrast, Orgel’s article cited earlier, does BOTH imo.)  

That was that.  There was nothing you could do about it.  Holt 2004 "Biology" had the last word.

See, that's what I like about an extended debate like this.  We can take our time and hash out a little more stuff, at least to some degree.

But, again we're kinda wandering a bit.   Let's bring it back a little.  
Csadams, you say you are a Christian.  Can you tell me your specific reasons, based on your own professed Christian beliefs, why you believe that evolution is somehow compatible with Christianity?

FloydLee

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2009,09:52   

Csadams, you say you are a Christian.  Can you tell me your specific reasons, based on your own professed Christian beliefs, why you believe that evolution is somehow compatible with Christianity?

says the fella who claimed he would conclusively demonstrate that this incompatibility was impossible.

He couldn't do that, now he is just going to attack christians who disagree.  SHOW ME YOUR SALVATION

CLASSY

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

FloydLee

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2009,09:58   

(While responding to various people today, I'm going to try to get in a few more responses for Deadman.  I'm starting from a few pages back and trying to catch up.)

(....From page 11)

The Popes (or anyone else) are free to speculate (add, append, tack on their faith-based belief)  regarding what can be said (in their belief) about established evolutionary science.

What it doesn't mean is that you have somehow shown an inherent, incontrovertible incompatiblity between Christianity and evolutionary science.

But it sure does mean that merely saying "the Pope accepts evolution and he's a Christian" (as some of you have done) does NOT eliminate the Big Five Incompatibilities that are currently sitting on your table.

2975 replies since Sep. 12 2009,22:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (100) < ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]