RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (622) < ... 363 364 365 366 367 [368] 369 370 371 372 373 ... >   
  Topic: A Separate Thread for Gary Gaulin, As big as the poop that does not look< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
NoName

(Permalink) Posted: June 06 2014,16:38   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ June 06 2014,17:26)
Quote (NoName @ June 06 2014,16:07)
Tells us, Gary, using only the material in your "theory", how it is determined whether or not a song is sung correctly?  Where's the motor control element in the making of that determination?
ROFLMAO

Now we're back to the endless cycle of science denial where the basics of cognitive science are not the basics of cognitive science unless the PC model has human level intelligence and so on until I have to build them all a genius robot to get a beer from their refrigerator. Wesley likes this sort of help.

How do you justify calling your effluent a "theory of intelligence" if there are facts of intelligence it does not and cannot account for?
Nobody needs, nobody is asking for, a "theory" that 'explains' selected, and disconnected, bits and pieces of what you, in your soft pink insignificance, consider elements of 'intelligence'.
If you can't (and you demonstrably can't) even specify what does and what does not count as 'intelligence', you are even more irrelevant than any of us guessed.  That takes some doing!
Sadly, we know that this apparent backing-away from the grandiose claims of your "theory" and your posts here and elsewhere across the web is temporary and not at all credible.  Gee, like everything you post.

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: June 06 2014,16:43   

And just by the way, Gary, the basics of cognitive science disagree with you in your risible and indefensible notion of learning.
You could not be more wrong on that matter, no matter how hard you tried.
No one could.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: June 06 2014,22:07   

Yet more back and forth with Gary in the NCSE thread for Glenn Branch's article.

Wesley Elsberry Gary Gaulin • a day ago

Gary raises a question: Given that he already knew and acknowledged that the assertion that the Kitzmiller decision was binding on just one school district was wrong, and that he finds it reasonable to instead claim that the number of school districts bound by the decision is negligible, why would Gary insist on using yet again the known false claim that the decision was binding on one and only one school district? Whenever someone thinks that they can rely on Gary for accurate information, they should remember this.

A cursory look at a map of the Middle District reveals that it covers nearly half the area of Pennsylvania. A look at the Wikipedia list of school districts in Pennsylvania reveals about 500 of them. Gary is still trying to pass off as reasonable his assertion that the Federal District Court of the Middle District of Pennsylvania might only have one school district in it. He really thinks poorly of his readers' cognitive skills on that basis, doesn't he?

Unconstitutional actions based on things more recent than a particular decision can still run afoul of a relevant decision. The Kitzmiller decision was about the facts in its case, and Gary certainly offered nothing for the court's consideration. Acting as though analysis of the Kitzmiller decision must now always take note of, or in some way be about Gary's peculiar output is preposterous.

There has been no deception about this on my part. Gary, though, has been known to tell falsehoods about the content of his code, such as including a "model" from Arnold Trehub in his code, or that his code models neurons just like a paper from Lehman and Stanley in 2013, neither of which, it turned out, were true.

Gary Gaulin Wesley Elsberry • a day ago

I already covered this in your forum so again: Whatever!! Considering the size of the nation it's still a small dot on a US map, and that area helped write some the theory, from my long having been in their local news media schools and education forum sharing it there, where some of the theory was written. If Judge Jones thought I was a threat to PA then he would have likely said so a long time ago when I was electronically there almost all the time.

http://exchange.ydr.com/index....

But honorable mention for brand new music to go with that and thinking towards the future not the past! And topical choreography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

Also one from Dolly, for my having to say what I did in Glenn's article:

I was taking it slow, wait and see what happens in future articles. But soon Robert Byers was left alone on their own after saying something splendid, again.

http://ncse.com/blog.......038...

It was easy enough to empower what Robert Byers said by right then briefly explaining the problem I saw with where things were going with Glenn's article series. I had to hurry up before their reply was plastered with clutter to get lost in, had to prevent that from happening (by mayhem having instead gone to subthread I started in comments).

This was a time when I was patient from the moment the NCSE blog article was posted, in no hurry to respond. Then Robert Byers left an opening that helps get the issue over real quick. That in turn started the countdown, for a stealthy mission, that left a trail for you to be there right on time too:

So anyway, how was your long day?

Wesley Elsberry Gary Gaulin • 20 hours ago

I just find the hypocrisy stunning, where Glenn Branch's perfectly accurate statement can be held to be so "oversimplified" that it "isn't even true", and yet the repeatedly documented error of saying that the Kitzmiller decision was legally binding in one and only one school district gets dismissed with, "Whatever". Can you trust anything someone says who would do that?

Gary Gaulin Wesley Elsberry • 10 hours ago

"The Dover Area School District is a midsized, rural, public school district located in Dover, York County, Pennsylvania. It serves the communities of: Dover Township, Washington Township and the Borough of Dover in York County. The District encompasses an area of approximately 65 square miles (170 km2). According to the 2010 US Census the district had a population of 25,779 people."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D...

Wesley Elsberry Gary Gaulin • 8 hours ago

Nobody disputes that the DASD is what Wikipedia says it is. Nor is the DASD article relevant to Gary's already-admitted-to-be-false claim that the Kitzmiller decision was only binding on one school district. DASD is one of many school districts that the Kitzmiller decision is a binding legal precedent upon. Why is Gary continuing to posture as if his incorrect claim could be salvaged? The Kitzmiller decision was specifically about the defendant school district, but it is binding legal precedent throughout the entire area served by the Federal District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania. Gary has been told this before, as previously documented. Gary can neither forthrightly admit his repeated error nor even commit to not repeating it in the future. And that behavioral trait makes Gary an exceedingly unreliable source of information.

Gary holds others to standards he comes nowhere near meeting himself, as noted in the comment Gary quoted Wikipedia at.

Gary Gaulin Wesley Elsberry • 7 hours ago

Wesley said: DASD is one of many school districts that the Kitzmiller decision is a binding legal precedent upon.

What is important to notice is how the goalposts moved from the school district legally bound to pay damages after losing their case in court (for discrediting Darwinian theory) to a “binding legal precedent” that helps make it seem nationally legally binding and that the finding was against “theory” (that at the time did not even exist yet).

Simply stated: Groups claiming to be defending science are avoiding their responsibility to keep up with science progress (including scientifically noncontroversial how-to computer models to demonstrate the very basics of intelligence) by going around and around in circles throwing demonizing insults until all are too dizzy over Dover to notice that all vital scientific issues were totally ignored.

Wesley Elsberry Gary Gaulin • 43 minutes ago

The only goalpost-moving operation in sight is Gary's.

Here's his original claim:

"The finding was only legally binding for one school district in all of the US, anyway."

Not even Gary said a thing about paying judgments, not until he needed some pretext to be able to single out DASD. How many school districts is the Kitzmiller decision "legally binding" upon? The answer is definitely not one, and is likely much closer to one hundred. As noted before, Gary already knew this, and yet here he is still trying to pretend he did not need correction then and now.

Gary can't admit error and will not correct it. This is not an insult, it is a documented observation.

As for scientific progress, the sources Gary cites as the major influence on his code are all more than twenty years old. As I noted before, teachers interested in the source materials will be much better off going directly to those than trying to glean the pre-existing good ideas out of the confusion Gary makes out of them. There's the old aphorism about a work being good and original, but what is good is not original, and what is original is not good.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: June 06 2014,22:11   

Don't forget the latest!

Wesley, can you explain how it is scientifically possible for a guiding intelligence to play a role in our design? Or is that scientific challenge too difficult for you?

I want to see you at least try to attempt answering one of the vital scientific issues, using science, instead of shamefully running away from it again.

You better hurry up and get to!

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: June 06 2014,22:24   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ June 06 2014,22:11)
Don't forget the latest!

Wesley, can you explain how it is scientifically possible for a guiding intelligence to play a role in our design? Or is that scientific challenge too difficult for you?

I want to see you at least try to attempt answering one of the vital scientific issues, using science, instead of shamefully running away from it again.

You better hurry up and get to!

Gary has confused doing science with writing science fiction.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: June 06 2014,22:55   

Pong.

I don't recall making an assertion to the effect of Gary's digressive statement, so I'll decline to adopt it as my own. It sounds a lot more like theology rather than science to me.

When Gary speaks of the shame of running away he is, of course, projecting. As we can see in the series above, I've been pointing out a particular problem in Gary's lack of truthfulness, and Gary has been shamefully running away from it. Unable to make even a counter that he would count as good, he goes for straight-up digression away from the topic.

As for scientific study of the evolution of intelligence, I have made some contributions. There's a couple of papers with my name on them from my time at the Digital Evolution Lab (now BEACON) at Michigan State University. Gary knows about that, too, though he has consistently been dismissive of my work. The fact is, though, that I have published on that topic, and Gary has not.

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: June 06 2014,22:59   

And...

I should also point out published technical work of mine critiquing putative "design detection" schemes postulated by William Dembski. There's a 2001 paper by John Wilkins and I in Biology and Philosophy that discusses Dembski's "explanatory filter", and the 2011 publication by me and Jeff Shallit in Synthese concerning Dembski's "complex specified information". Again, this is a topic that I have published upon, and Gary has not.

Edited by Wesley R. Elsberry on June 06 2014,22:59

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: June 06 2014,23:52   

Intelligence Generator/Detector, Version 4.0
Submitted on: 11/14/2008 9:21:07 AM
By: Gary Gaulin
http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb....n....ngWId=1

All versions (later known as the Intelligence Design Lab) provide "intelligence detection" by presence of indicative learning curve shown in its line chart (see upper right).

I expect Wesley to try topping that with snobbery.

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: June 06 2014,23:55   

I was right, snobbery:

Wesley Elsberry  Gary Gaulin • 8 minutes ago
Well, I wasn't counting vanity self-publishing. I'm certainly fine with acknowledging that I have published on evolution of intelligence and design detection in the academic literature, and Gary has not.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2014,00:10   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ June 06 2014,23:55)
I was right, snobbery:

Well, I wasn't counting vanity self-publishing. I'm certainly fine with acknowledging that I have published on evolution of intelligence and design detection in the academic literature, and Gary has not.

No, achievement.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2014,00:22   

Quote (Richardthughes @ June 07 2014,00:10)
I was right, snobbery:

No, achievement.

Funding money-pit.

--------------

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2014,00:57   

...and the pig-wrestling continues.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2014,03:38   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ June 07 2014,00:22)
I was right, snobbery:

No, achievement.

Funding money-pit.

Interesting. Gary once again does nothing to check that an assertion of his is correct before flinging it. I've received precisely no money for my published academic work on critiquing "design detection". This is in contrast to William Dembski, whose income is pretty much solely dependent upon his work in advocating it.

--------------

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2014,05:47   

Wesley, can you explain how it is scientifically possible for a guiding intelligence to play a role in our design?

Gary, this is a mind-bogglingly stupid question on your part.  You are the one making the claims that we are designed and that a guiding intelligence has played a role, and that it is scientifically possible to show such things.  You haven't demonstrated any of those claims.  Therefore it is not the responsibility of people who consider your work to be silly to do your work for you and prove your points.  

To the contrary, we have pointed out errors and contradictions in your work that show your claims to be unsupported nonsense.  The scientific community has additionally documented at great length the processes and their effects called upon by the Modern Theory of Evolution.  That's all the distance that we need to go with respect to rejecting your BS.  It's up to you to put up or shut up.

Regarding your promulgation of your ideas solely by posting incoherent screeds on the internet, I will repeat that posts on the internet do not of themselves make an idea a legitimate contender.  There are no formal rules (comparable to the detailed rules regarding naming a new species), but being taken seriously requires some combination of legitimate publication and/or presentation of sufficient, valid, supporting evidence, none of which you have.

Lastly, your pathologies of rarely being able to admit that you are wrong and doubling back to disproved claims are worsened by your horrendously bad writing, which you use to retroactively create some wriggle-room to squirm out of an obvious error.  That doesn't fly.

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2014,06:40   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ June 07 2014,00:52)

Intelligence Generator/Detector, Version 4.0
Submitted on: 11/14/2008 9:21:07 AM
By: Gary Gaulin

All versions (later known as the Intelligence Design Lab) provide "intelligence detection" by presence of indicative learning curve shown in its line chart (see upper right).

I expect Wesley to try topping that with snobbery.

Poor Gary.  As he stumbles incoherently through life, circling within the event horizon of the black hole of complete irrelevance he's been inhabiting all along, he resorts to adding terms to existing work, as if that somehow justifies new claims.

Gary, you have no clue what a 'learning curve' is.  The presence or absence of what you consider a 'learning curve' has not been shown by you to be indicative of 'intelligence'.
You've already agreed that neither your 'model' nor your 'theory' covers all facets of 'intelligence'.  Nor have you bothered to lay out a logical structure of levels of 'intelligence' whereby we could see that 'at level x we have features a, b, and c, at level y we have additional features d, and e, and at level z we have additional features g, and h'.  On the one hand you assert 'intelligence' across all levels of existence, from molecules to beyond the human level, on the other hand you agree that there are many facets of 'intelligence' you cannot identify, cannot "explain", cannot account for in your 'model' nor your 'theory'.  You have no notion of emergence other than that it is something you must assert, despite a complete lack of evidence and a logical mangling of the concept.
You misuse the concept of learning as it is used and understood by the cognitive science community.
You can't even answer the question entailed by your insistence that learning is a mark of 'intelligence' and that there exists such a thing as 'molecular intelligence' -- to wit, is a dose-response curve a learning curve?  Why or why not?
You cannot predict any expected facts or behaviors.  Insofar as you 'theory' permits such predictions, they are false -- they do not obtain.
And yet you think a simple change in name entitles you to switch your "ID Lab" from a demonstration of the 'emergence' of 'intelligence' to a 'detector' of 'intelligence'.
Well, we can confidently predict that it will give the same result when aimed at you as is achieved by applying the core concept of your 'theory' of 'intelligence' to your behavior -- 'not found'.

You are a profoundly unintelligent creature, Gary.  Whether in the bizarre sense of the term that you use in your own output or in the normal senses of the term as understood by cognitive science and other intellectual enterprises that study intelligence, its forms, structures, and emergence in the world.

That you now attempt to continue the distraction and deflection maneuvers by trying to turn this into a 'battle' between you and Wesley is absurd.  Your battle is with science, and science hardly even knows you exist.  It needn't bother with you because you quite literally bring nothing new to the discussion.  You have no ideas, let alone new ideas.  You have no insights, no concepts, and worst of all, by far, no evidence, no facts, no logical and coherent reinterpretation of known facts and evidence.
The one thing you have is suppurating logorrhea coupled with delusions of adequacy.
And that is of no interest to anyone but yourself.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: June 08 2014,02:21   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ June 07 2014,03:38)

I was right, snobbery:

No, achievement.

Funding money-pit.

Interesting. Gary once again does nothing to check that an assertion of his is correct before flinging it. I've received precisely no money for my published academic work on critiquing "design detection". This is in contrast to William Dembski, whose income is pretty much solely dependent upon his work in advocating it.

More on that here:

http://www.antievolution.org/cgi-bin....t=11010

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: June 08 2014,02:27   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ June 07 2014,03:38)

I was right, snobbery:

No, achievement.

Funding money-pit.

This is the link to better explain that and other things:

http://ncse.com/blog....4954134

--------------

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: June 08 2014,07:17   

Gary, given that you are not able to craft an explanation, how can you claim to recognize one?
Where and how in your 'theory' is it possible to find an explanation of the process of 'explanation'?  Or is that another one of those 'features of the universe' that is not 'best explained by an intelligent cause'?
Surely 'explanation' is a feature of intelligence...

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: June 08 2014,07:52   

On the one hand you assert 'intelligence' across all levels of existence, from molecules to beyond the human level, on the other hand you agree that there are many facets of 'intelligence' you cannot identify, cannot "explain", cannot account for in your 'model' nor your 'theory'.

He hasn't defined it and he can't quantify it or measure it.  Game over, as far as science is concerned.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 08 2014,13:42   

The hamster who powers the server needs a protein shake.

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: June 08 2014,16:25   

Yes, it's slower than Gary admitting to a mistake. It's like waiting for the meaning of one of Gary's sentences to emerge. Etc.

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: June 09 2014,19:48   

Well, except that server problems can be fixed.
Gary could only experience that phenomenon in a veterinarian sense.

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2014,13:01   

Now we're back to the endless cycle of science denial where the basics of cognitive science are not the basics of cognitive science unless the PC model has human level intelligence and so on until I have to build them all a genius robot to get a beer from their refrigerator. Wesley likes this sort of help.

Science is already well-defined, Goo Goo.  Oh, and some of us don't need a genius robot to get a beer from the fridge (I don't know why YOU do).  Myself, I just like to laugh at the idiotic things you type.

Gad, you're a hoot!  'Fucked in the head' is a nice (and mild) way of putting it.  Please feel free to enjoy the outhouse you've dug for yourself.  Come out smelling like a rose!   :)  :)  :)

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2014,13:11   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ June 06 2014,17:26)

Quote (NoName @ June 06 2014,16:07)
Tells us, Gary, using only the material in your "theory", how it is determined whether or not a song is sung correctly?  Where's the motor control element in the making of that determination?
ROFLMAO

Let's just note, once again, and for the record, that you are asserting to have the basics of cognitive science and to have them correct.
Yet if what you have forms the base, how is it that it is absent at 'higher' levels?
Among the countless other problems we have noted for several hundred pages now, there is the little issue of putting 'motor control' as part of your 'fundamental' basics of cognitive science.  It is trivial to identify cognitive science basics that do not involve motor control.  It is trivial to identify things considered to be acts of intelligence that do not meet your criteria as laid out in your so-oft-repeated diagram.
So in what sense do you have the basics of cognitive science?  How can something be both basic and yet missing from a host of commonplace examples?
Hmmmm?

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2014,15:50   

The discussion for Part 2 of Glenn's “Intelligent Design in Public Schools” article series is nearly over. I'm now waiting for a possible reply from a Lee Bowman in regard to their strategy to disassociate ID from religion with theory totally divorced from “creationism”.

http://ncse.com/blog.......7682014

--------------

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2014,16:29   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ June 10 2014,15:50)
The discussion for Part 2 of Glenn's “Intelligent Design in Public Schools” article series is nearly over. I'm now waiting for a possible reply from a Lee Bowman in regard to their strategy to disassociate ID from religion with theory totally divorced from “creationism”.

And I'm waiting for pigs to fly.

Keep dreaming, Gary.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2014,19:24   

Lee Bowman keeps repeating the falsehood that IDC isn't creationism.

It isn't getting any better with repetition.

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2014,20:51   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ June 10 2014,19:24)
Lee Bowman keeps repeating the falsehood that IDC isn't creationism.

It isn't getting any better with repetition.

Then hopefully this works equally well on both of you, to end the repetitions:

I left off with a response to Lee Bowman where I mentioned scientific evidence and models, which all by themselves stay in step with Genesis as is required by Creation Science to become theory that works great in classroom science too.

Science now empowers the needing to be dissociated to take ID theory where they want to go, instead. The most important thing to remember right now is that those who keep bringing the issue back to Dover are a red-herring distraction continually changing the subject away from the science work, you should be working on too.

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2014,21:17   

More projection. Gary's repeats falsehoods, too, over and over. Again.

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2014,21:57   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ June 10 2014,21:17)
More projection. Gary's repeats falsehoods, too, over and over. Again.

That amounts to a “I know you are but what am I?” answer.

Very childish.

--------------

18634 replies since Oct. 31 2012,02:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (622) < ... 363 364 365 366 367 [368] 369 370 371 372 373 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]