RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 755 756 757 758 759 [760] 761 762 763 764 765 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,21:25   

Also, Dr. Behe has a stellar reputation as a bioalchemist.

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,21:31   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Dec. 04 2007,22:24)
UD is performance art.  No more.

Street Theatre.

Didn't you get the memo?

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,21:34   

I prefer not to use tard-terms, Lou.

And besides, spelling theater as theatre is gay.*

* added in edit
Not that there is anything wrong with that, Louis.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,21:40   

I don't sockpuppet at UD and never have. And sockpuppetry can be done badly. But it can also be a subtle pleasure, such as when a sockpuppet says something that an expert would recognize as exactly backwards, and have the target applaud the comment's penetrating insight.

The problem with sockpuppetry is that it undermines our trust that the stunning cluelessness at UD is legitimate. A few months back GilDodgen or someone suggested that to really simulate evolution, the computer running the simulation would have to itself experience mutations in its hardware. Stunning stupidity, made doubly stunning when Granville Sewell championed the idea. Some wag here pointed out that a logical corollary to this argument would be that a computer simulating magma flows ought to be thrown into a volcano for the simulation to be valid.

Turncoat

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,21:52   

Know your adversary.

It's not often you can hang a diagnosis on someone across the web. But reading Gil Dodgen's polymorphously pompous bit on his new role as evolutionary informaticist, and how he owed his scientific "vigilance" to dear old dad, "whom I admire more than any man I have ever known," I kicked myself for having gone so long without recognizing him as narcissistic.

Here's the list of diagnostic criteria in the DSM-IV. I say he hits regularly on five of them. You have to know somewhat more than the DSM says to understand what a red flag Gil's idealization of his father is. See Golomb, Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in Their Struggle for Self. Odds are good that the father is more narcissistic than Gil.

--------------
I never give them hell. I just tell the truth about them, and they think it's hell. — Harry S Truman

Turncoat

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,21:57   

Quote (Turncoat @ Dec. 04 2007,21:52)
Know your adversary.

Oops. Make that "Know your tard." I'm out of practice here.

--------------
I never give them hell. I just tell the truth about them, and they think it's hell. — Harry S Truman

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,22:08   

it undermines our trust that the stunning cluelessness at UD is legitimate

steve the fact that they don't recognize it either unless it oscillates waaaaaaay out of bounds is good evidence that your estimation of their cluelessness is legitimate, qualitatively.

again, looking for something substantive to argue against (at UD) is a fool's errand.  surely by now you know the ins and outs of the argument from Behe and Dumbski and the rest.  Does it matter if Born^Again, Kairosfocus, jerry, etc are really trolls or not?  If not, they are just pawns and are not saying anything we haven't heard before.  If so, they are heroic actors and I would love to be taken in by them again.  I love it so!!!one!!

Now, here's a tidbit.  The real weirdoes over there are probably worth, in principle, probing.  Like the pleasurian.  And Solon of course.  but what will you get, in practice?  just an acid flashback of idiocy from the gallery, and like a big buck they will disappear in the mist.  

So let's enjoy that rollercoaster without projecting about the way that we think they should behave if they were legitimate.  They aren't, clearly.  That is a Bayesian prior.  Until otherwise.

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,22:15   

Quote (Altabin @ Dec. 04 2007,20:59)
D@mn, I missed this; MacT quoting Luskin's piece on the Gonzalez tenure case:

From the full article:
“Dr. Gonzalez is not teaching intelligent design in classes. The majority of his research is based on astronomy and cosmology. He has stellar reputation as cosmologist and astrologer. Why wouldn’t you want a great scientist like that on your staff?” Luskin said.

A “stellar reputation as” . . . an astrologer?

That's too funny.

Maybe Gonzalez asked Behe to be one of his external reviewers for tenure.  :p

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,22:17   

Turncoat, good to have you here. We have a good mixture of scientific types who hang around here, and I'm sure your contributions will be valuable.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,22:39   

Vintage Gil:

http://www.ooblick.com/weblog/2006/10/03/gil-dodgen-uncommonly-dense/

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,23:04   

Turncoat, did you read ERVs description of Dembski having a meltdown when confronted with information that contradicted him during a presentation? I thought then (and think now) that he flat out couldn't accept being wrong. Like, it just wouldn't integrate into his version of reality. He followed it up by accusing the person speaking to him of being a "poster boy for Richard Dawkins for bringing down ID". That's some good cognitive dissonance, there.

... man, I really want to hear the recording of Dembski's meltdown. The description alone was so good.

ERV? Pretty please? Want to hear Dembski freaking out.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,23:08   

Mr. Christopher wrote:
Put two turds side by side and try and distinguish one from the other.  Both stink and neither tastes good with pasta.

turds or tards?  Oh wait, never mind. . . .   :)

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,23:10   

Annyday wrote:
ERV? Pretty please? Want to hear Dembski freaking out.

I heard that he almost spewed all over his tardigan™ sweater!    :)    :)    :)

(No offense to any Welshpeople in here.)

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,23:21   

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/uncommondescent.com

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 04 2007,23:27   

"Over there. . ." MacT wrote:
DLH:
I wasn’t at ISU, and certainly not on the review committee, so I don’t really know how the decisions there unfolded. If you weren’t there, then you probably know approximately as much as I do. I do think, however, that it’s a slight stretch to place GG on a par with Galileo. At best, the jury’s out till there’s some solid evidence in support of ID.

Yo, Mac!  The ice is still a bit too thin to be driving that new pickup on.  :)  My 2c.

p.s. wonder how long that one lasts?

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,00:00   

Waterloopy is back on:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....omments

--------------

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,00:28   

Hey, all you people who've actually voted on tenure?

Does alluding to a potential tenure case before it comes up actually open a review board to lawsuits? If so, what's the justification behind the legal precedent in question? It seems like it'd be a bizarre prohibition to me, but if there is such a prohibition it's the only part of the entire case that isn't founded on bad logic from the very beginning.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,01:05   

RB, we need your judgement here.
O’Leary is a tard

O'Leary

12/04/2007

7:28 pm

Tard Alert!
Bugsy and digdug are gone, I gather (not my doing), and aardpig will soon be too, as a matter of fact.
It was expected that people anxious to paper over the scandal would post here to detract Gonzalez by associating him with nonsense.
This is a case where the perpetrators of systems intended to discriminate on the basis of viewpoint have - so far as I can see - been caught redhanded. So the spin, spin, spin begins - and it won’t end any time soon. Except here.

Is this is double or do we finally have the fabled triple bannination?  And by proxy, too?

Enquiring minds need to know.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,01:07   

I'm sorry Denyse, Faux News already have the "No spin zone". You guys have the "No fact zone".

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,02:53   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Dec. 05 2007,02:05)
RB, we need your judgement here.
O’Leary is a tard    

O'Leary

12/04/2007

7:28 pm

Tard Alert!
Bugsy and digdug are gone, I gather (not my doing), and aardpig will soon be too, as a matter of fact.
It was expected that people anxious to paper over the scandal would post here to detract Gonzalez by associating him with nonsense.
This is a case where the perpetrators of systems intended to discriminate on the basis of viewpoint have - so far as I can see - been caught redhanded. So the spin, spin, spin begins - and it won’t end any time soon. Except here.

Is this is double or do we finally have the fabled triple bannination?  And by proxy, too?

Enquiring minds need to know.

Bob

If verified, this would be the first Triple Hidden Obliviation executed by a Hidden Nixmaster, the identity of whom is apparently unknown even to Uncommonly Denyse.

We've had one previous Triple Banninnation before (of art, factitician and ERV no less), but Banninnation and Hidden Obliviation aren't the same thing. It's all explained here.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,03:04   

is it worth getting tied up with an organization as deplorable as the ACLU. Perhaps this is something we shouldn’t wish for, but instead if there is anyone in the ID community who has a legal background, they could take the GG v. ISU case.

Calling Larry Farflamananam to court number 1.
http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-153454

After reading the latest threads at UD I have to wonder is the GG case the fumes in the gas tank? The last gasp? I mean, at some point the non-troll's at UD have to start to wonder where the "positive" proof for ID is, they've had years of the "negative" proof* that evilution does not do the job.....

*Proof mostly consisting of BA77's things materialists do not predict...

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,03:05   

At least one of aardpig's posts in that thread is missing; someone else refers to "venomous comments" from him/her/it in "post 18", but 18 is not an aardpig post. Silhouette in negative space, so to speak... and aardpig has a one-last-jab-at-censorship post that has mysteriously not vanished following Denyse's ramble.

Unless aardpig miraculously rises from the dead within the next 24 hours or so to resume posting, I think we can safely call it a nixplanation via the iron will of Denyse.

... as is mandatory for such cases, all of UD has turned out to show how soundly they can beat a non-responding aardpig.

--------------

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,03:48   

Aardpig, bugsy, and digdug have become quillbait for Granny Porcupine.  I guess they didn't cut the musTARD!  :)  :)

I guess when Granny wants to feel persecuted (by proxy, anyway) you better let her OR SHE'LL KILL YA!!!  btw buy her book. . . .   :)

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,04:44   

ALL RIGHT YOU GUYS THAT'S ENOUGH DENZE BASHING FOR ONE DAY!!
JUST BECAUSE I SAID SHE HAD A FACE LIKE A  ROBBERS DYKE DOG, DOESN'T GIVE YOU CART BLANC TO PILE ON UNLESS YOU BOTTOM. giggle ...that's ma fav word
NOW IT'S REASONABLE TO SUGGEST SHE IS A POXY (sic) BANNER, BUT LET'S ACCEPT IT, SHE HAS THE FACE TO LAUNCH A THOUSAND SINGLE SEX MARRIED DREDGES .....SO STOP REPEATING THE OBVIOUS AND HIS BILL-NESS NEEDS THE X-PROMOTION THAT WAS WHAT I AGREED TO WHEN I CAME BACK TO UD. AND I'M SICK OF YOU GUYS REMINDING ME. dt.

*HOMOS'7Z

*added in edit

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,07:49   

Quote (Altabin @ Dec. 04 2007,18:59)

From the full article:
“Dr. Gonzalez is not teaching intelligent design in classes. The majority of his research is based on astronomy and cosmology. He has stellar reputation as cosmologist and astrologer. Why wouldn’t you want a great scientist like that on your staff?” Luskin said.

That's too funny.

Luskin is obviously following the direction of Prof. Mike Behe, who admitted under oath that ID creationism was "scienec" to the same extent as astrology. (Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District Trial transcript: Day 11 (October 18), PM Session, Part 1) (Linked with my name above).

*I Could have edited "scienec" if I had wanted to, but I didn't. But I did edit to add this note.  HaHa

Edited by Dr.GH on Dec. 05 2007,06:02

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,07:58   

Quote (Annyday @ Dec. 04 2007,22:28)
Hey, all you people who've actually voted on tenure?

Does alluding to a potential tenure case before it comes up actually open a review board to lawsuits? If so, what's the justification behind the legal precedent in question? It seems like it'd be a bizarre prohibition to me, but if there is such a prohibition it's the only part of the entire case that isn't founded on bad logic from the very beginning.

I was asked my opinion of a candidate before the committee membership was firmed up.  I was very critical of the candidate, but I had been for several years.  The dept chair asked me to be on the committee, but I delcined.  Instead I wrote my opinion, and submitted it to the committee.

I haven't seen in the DI press releases which emails were by committee members, or from department faculty/students to committee members.

A tenure committee is not legaly required to behave as a trial jury.  They can have, and should have opinions.

--------------

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,08:01   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Dec. 05 2007,07:49)
Quote (Altabin @ Dec. 04 2007,18:59)

From the full article:

That's too funny.

Luskin is obviously following the direction of Prof. Mike Behe, who admitted under oath that ID creationism was "scienec" to the same extent as astrology. (Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District Trial transcript: Day 11 (October 18), PM Session, Part 1) (Linked with my name above).

He also admitted god might be dead.

Which would have jesus spinning in his grave...... if either had ever lived.

Kind of gives new life to the resurection doesn't it?

If god can't get it up again (according to Behe) then where does that leave Cosmic Viagra? Over to you Khrisna ...you beaver loving resurector.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,08:07   

well k.e. you and behe are both wrong.

See, god is OMNIPOTENT.

that is the very opposite of IMPOTENT.  as you well know.  

so gods ALWAYS has it up.  a big purple throbber.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,08:14   

eeeeeeere, take a hit of this!

For flu virus, cold weather proves ideal

http://www.star-telegram.com/n.....42394.html

of special note:

“The answer, they say, has to do with the virus itself. It is more stable and stays in the air longer when air is cold and dry, the exact conditions for much of the flu season.”

I was wondering if they meant more stable on the molecular level…i.e. Is molecular entropy of the virus a factor? If so, it is yet another piece of the puzzle falling in place for the ID camp.

just another one of those things that materialism would have never predicted.

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 05 2007,08:19   

Unfortunately the "astrologer" comment was an error at the newspaper.  Wes posted it to Panda's Thumb.

(Not edited)

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 755 756 757 758 759 [760] 761 762 763 764 765 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]