RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (356) < ... 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 4, Fostering a Greater Understanding of IDC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 25 2012,23:31   

Petrushka warned that it was a trap. Didn't anticipate a maustrap.

It was irreducibly simpleminded, however.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 25 2012,23:42   

Quote (eigenstate @ Aug. 25 2012,22:05)
So, Barry said this today on UD:

Maus, a coward forfeits his right to be taken seriously.

So does a Bully and a coward.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 25 2012,23:49   

Quote (Seversky @ Aug. 25 2012,23:42)
Quote (eigenstate @ Aug. 25 2012,22:05)
So, Barry said this today on UD:

Maus, a coward forfeits his right to be taken seriously.

So does a Bully and a coward.

And a hypocrite:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-431247

...And no, I’m not going to answer your questions. If you want to pose questions start your own website. This one’s mine.

UD will be in full on fundy lockdown soon, if it isn't already.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,01:05   

There's also a full-on tardfight between Maus and KF on the Toronto thread. Sample:
So if I accept your plea to wordsnitchery as valid then you surely accept that it was the height of bad form and malice to attack and ban those commenters on UD that took a Dialetheist approach to contradictions. Both arguments stand together or fall together...

If your answer relies on ‘because I infer it backwards, but not in the well understood fallacy way, but in a magic way indistinguishable yet awesome’?

Then you are a Supernatural Materialist. And being of Moral Immoral character acknowledge that you have Contradicted your position on Contradiction – -but not in a contradictory manner — and will ban youself from UD by not leaving.

No more 'big tent' for Maus.  He's going the Sal route.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,02:25   

Whatever Maus may be (impenetrable? self-important? several parts full of shit to several parts bang-on?) I wouldn't class him as a coward.

Has Barry bought UD off Dembski, then? Curiouser and curiouser.

Dissent will become more and more Uncommon. Arf! Arf!

--------------
SoapySam is a pathetic asswiper. Joe G

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,02:46   

This is the full-of-shit version of Maus:

@Blue_Savannah

Weren’t the turks just demonstrating ‘survival of the fittest’?

Maus: Yes and no. The hypothetical as given is predicated on the ‘fun’ of it. Survival in general and morality can intersect but need not.

That's No and No, you berk! The raw fact of some of the fully-grown adults of a species circumstantially killing the not-yet-grown young of a species - with guns, yet! - fulfils absolutely none of the criteria for Natural Selection. Learn some goddamned biology.

[eta ... OK, 'full of shit' was maybe a little strong! On this occasion. I'm sure he gives a damn what I think. :p ]

Edited by Soapy Sam on Aug. 27 2012,03:17

--------------

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,07:52   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 25 2012,02:12)
Kiros Focus' defense of censsorship:

[URL=http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/for-record-petrushkas-irresponsible-deceit-at-tsz-in-regards-to-an-alleged-threat-of-banni

ng-made-by-me/#comment-431147]http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-431147[/URL]

kairosfocusAugust 25, 2012 at 12:02 am

Mung:

One, where it is credible that we are not playing around where crocodiles lurk and where the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low.

In simpler terms, if objectors would simply be willing to address issues on the merits of fact and logic, with a modicum of common decency and broughtupcy, we could have a serious discussion.

The comments boxes of UD are open for just that, but over time consistently we find abusive objectors, evasive/distractive objectors and enablers for abusive and evasive/distractive objectors.

That is beginning to look to me very much like the warrant is not on the side of the objectors, and deep down they know it but are clinging to an ideological position for reasons that cannot be put up in polite and serious company.

Which reminds me a lot of the Marxists I had to deal with at the turn of the 80?s.

Ten years to go, if the timelines are truly parallel (and providing someone shows up for a high-noon showdown and refuses to back off under intimidation and mud-slinging etc), then.

That is part of why it is so important that here be places like UD etc where the issues can be dealt with on a level playing field basis, where those with the manners and attitudes of a swamp predator are not welcome.

KF

Because calling folks "those with the manners and attitudes of a swamp predator" exhibits "address issues on the merits of fact and logic, with a modicum of common decency ".

Mullings, you're just a cowardly pulpit bully unable to carry himself in a public forum.

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low.

New Sig Line!!!!

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,08:16   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Aug. 26 2012,15:52)
the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low.

New Sig Line!!!!

Gordo knits himself into another corner

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,09:39   

Quote (keiths @ Aug. 26 2012,01:05)
There's also a full-on tardfight between Maus and KF on the Toronto thread. Sample:
So if I accept your plea to wordsnitchery as valid then you surely accept that it was the height of bad form and malice to attack and ban those commenters on UD that took a Dialetheist approach to contradictions. Both arguments stand together or fall together...

If your answer relies on ‘because I infer it backwards, but not in the well understood fallacy way, but in a magic way indistinguishable yet awesome’?

Then you are a Supernatural Materialist. And being of Moral Immoral character acknowledge that you have Contradicted your position on Contradiction – -but not in a contradictory manner — and will ban youself from UD by not leaving.

His posts content have been deleted, ASFAICT.

This is why you always have and always will lose, UD, because you don't even play. Shame on Barry. I don't want to hear diddly about censorship from him, the bully.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,09:46   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 26 2012,10:39)
This is why you always have and always will lose, UD, because you don't even play. Shame on Barry. I don't want to hear diddly about censorship from him, the bully.

I think that calling Arrington a bully gives him too much credit.  He would desperately like to be able to act like a bully, and seems to see that kind of behavior as strength, but he lacks even that kind of limited, corrupted power.

I won't feed his fantasy by granting him that sobriquet.

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,10:36   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 26 2012,15:39)

I happened to copy the last post from Maus, which is probably the one that invoked the impotent wrath of baz:

Maus August 25, 2012 at 11:56 pm

@Barry
Your fear of the questions in the OP has been demonstrated repeatedly …

Oh? Are you saying that an established law professional with an impressive CV and work history is so incompetent as to not understand what a “Devil’s Advocate” argument is? And that they are further so incompetent that they find the proper rejoinder is a long line of straw man and ad hominems?
We both know that you’re not such an incompetent. Which leaves one of two curiosities: 1) You know your argument is a mouth-breathing waste. 2) You’re on a Torquemada fishing expedition for the ‘faithful’.

So I’ll tell you what, Barry, since I obviously cannot answer for a personally held belief that I do not hold I’ll go ahead and answer for the one I am only allowed to hold until I answer the statements that you assert are absolutely correct and airtight.[1] And ‘hold until’ is the case as we do not dispute the LNC in this fora lest we be banned.

Which is to say I cannot answer your questions from a Christian perspective. For if I assume Christianity then the Lord has commanded, on various occasions, that children should be killed in toto. (Put aside ‘fun’ for now.) Such that if these sorts of antics are universally immoral then the Lord Himself is immoral. But He is the seat of morality and moral by definition. Which is absurd.

Therefore the killing of children, by numerous means, can only be contingently immoral. And this brings us back to ‘fun’. For it is understood that to worship the Lord, is amongst other things, to revel in His Glory and be at good cheer in carrying out His will. And since he has commanded the death of children on various occasions then it is immoral to not have a good cheer about trashing tots for the Lord. But, as you have continually asserted that your argument is airtight, then it is immoral to be moral and have a good cheer toasting toddlers.

So we cannot say that your airtight argument shows that Christianity is more or less moral than Materialism. We can only say that your airtight argument shows that Christianity is absurd. That it is self-contradictory and you have accomplished by assertion what Dawkins has spent a lifetime failing at.

But since I am not allowed by my nature, nor the rules of the road here, to disavow the LNC then I must reject the Christianity I held previously to accepting your arugment as valid. And since you’re not such an incompetent as to be a Christian and make an argument that refutes Christianity then your assertion to universal immorality must come from elsewhere.

Certainly not Materialism, since there Materialism is orthogonal to the topic. And so it must be some other religion that you follow. And since I cannot be any further a Christian then I should sorely like to know which religion it is that you practice, and which holds all the answers.

Not that you’ll answer, of course. For answering the notion — for whatever worldview you hold — would demonstrate that it was indeed an enthymeme that Begged the Question as I originally stated to you. And should your argument be simultaneously valid and invalid then you would need to have the bravery to deal with my original post or the bravery to ban yourself from your own site for rejecting the LNC you demand of others.

So I’ll just let it hang for others to let me know what a suitable replacement for my worldview should be.

[1] You have not, of course, stated this outright. But then your cowardice at addressing common rebuttal is enough to make the same intent apparent.
My Webpage

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,10:42   

Quote (BillB @ Aug. 26 2012,16:36)
My Webpage

Just to avoid any horrific assumptions - that 'my webpage' link pointing to UD is just an editing error - UD is not really my webpage and I am not really Baz the Bully.

Honest!

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,11:32   

KF's umbrage (and more) is aroused at great length by Petruska's guess (at TSZ) that mphillips had been banned. How dare he?

Elsewhere, Barry, growls into The Loudspeaker in the Ceiling, deleting comments high and low. He declares victory.

These twits are beyond parody. What a toolshed is UD.

Edited by Reciprocating Bill on Aug. 26 2012,12:34

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,11:59   

It seems to be open war between TSZ and UD. I apologise to Elizabeth if that is against her wishes.

For myself, I cannot accept failing to call attention to censorship as the primary mode of argument amongst ID proponentsists.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

iconofid

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,12:07   

Quote (BillB @ Aug. 26 2012,10:36)

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 26 2012,15:39)

I happened to copy the last post from Maus, which is probably the one that invoked the impotent wrath of baz:

Maus August 25, 2012 at 11:56 pm

@Barry    
Your fear of the questions in the OP has been demonstrated repeatedly …

Oh? Are you saying that an established law professional with an impressive CV and work history is so incompetent as to not understand what a “Devil’s Advocate” argument is? And that they are further so incompetent that they find the proper rejoinder is a long line of straw man and ad hominems?
We both know that you’re not such an incompetent. Which leaves one of two curiosities: 1) You know your argument is a mouth-breathing waste. 2) You’re on a Torquemada fishing expedition for the ‘faithful’.

So I’ll tell you what, Barry, since I obviously cannot answer for a personally held belief that I do not hold I’ll go ahead and answer for the one I am only allowed to hold until I answer the statements that you assert are absolutely correct and airtight.[1] And ‘hold until’ is the case as we do not dispute the LNC in this fora lest we be banned.

Which is to say I cannot answer your questions from a Christian perspective. For if I assume Christianity then the Lord has commanded, on various occasions, that children should be killed in toto. (Put aside ‘fun’ for now.) Such that if these sorts of antics are universally immoral then the Lord Himself is immoral. But He is the seat of morality and moral by definition. Which is absurd.

Therefore the killing of children, by numerous means, can only be contingently immoral. And this brings us back to ‘fun’. For it is understood that to worship the Lord, is amongst other things, to revel in His Glory and be at good cheer in carrying out His will. And since he has commanded the death of children on various occasions then it is immoral to not have a good cheer about trashing tots for the Lord. But, as you have continually asserted that your argument is airtight, then it is immoral to be moral and have a good cheer toasting toddlers.

So we cannot say that your airtight argument shows that Christianity is more or less moral than Materialism. We can only say that your airtight argument shows that Christianity is absurd. That it is self-contradictory and you have accomplished by assertion what Dawkins has spent a lifetime failing at.

But since I am not allowed by my nature, nor the rules of the road here, to disavow the LNC then I must reject the Christianity I held previously to accepting your arugment as valid. And since you’re not such an incompetent as to be a Christian and make an argument that refutes Christianity then your assertion to universal immorality must come from elsewhere.

Certainly not Materialism, since there Materialism is orthogonal to the topic. And so it must be some other religion that you follow. And since I cannot be any further a Christian then I should sorely like to know which religion it is that you practice, and which holds all the answers.

Not that you’ll answer, of course. For answering the notion — for whatever worldview you hold — would demonstrate that it was indeed an enthymeme that Begged the Question as I originally stated to you. And should your argument be simultaneously valid and invalid then you would need to have the bravery to deal with my original post or the bravery to ban yourself from your own site for rejecting the LNC you demand of others.

So I’ll just let it hang for others to let me know what a suitable replacement for my worldview should be.

[1] You have not, of course, stated this outright. But then your cowardice at addressing common rebuttal is enough to make the same intent apparent.
My Webpage

I think we should give Maus POTW for that effort. I like the way he got around the "fun" bit, which Arrington had included because, of course, doing nasty things to children in general is fine in the eyes of his god.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,13:09   

ID is all about science, though, really.
It isn't religion.
Honest.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

iconofid

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,13:49   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 25 2012,23:31)
Petrushka warned that it was a trap. Didn't anticipate a maustrap.

When Barry posts, I always anticipate claptrap.

iconofid

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,14:09   

Quote (fnxtr @ Aug. 26 2012,13:09)
It isn't religion.
Honest.

Sergiomendes on the "On self-evident moral truth" thread:

"Barry arrington,

now is Uncommon Descent site concerned more and more of Christianity, filosofia, atheism and less and less sciences, yes?

sergio"

I somehow wonder if Sergio is related to the recently deceased Mr. Nakashima.

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,14:22   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Aug. 24 2012,18:55)
Quote (Amadan @ Aug. 22 2012,19:46)
Speaking as the only British (or at least, England and Wales) qualified lawyer who is likely to take an interest in this matter, I can say that KF really should have regard to the reply to the plaintiff in Pressdram Ltd v. Arkell.

Nothing further occurs at this time.

Surely Arkell was the plaintiff!

* ahem *  

[pause for thought . . . ]

But surely you are familiar with the Appeal Court ruling?

(Sweeps barristorially out, pausing only to send fee note)

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

REC

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,15:17   

Whenever Barry gets going-slaying his fantasy 'materialists' (already banned from his site) with questions (that are always the wrong question for the matter and that any answer he doesn't want to hear gets purged)--this is the image in my mind:

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,16:00   

Quote (iconofid @ Aug. 26 2012,14:09)
Quote (fnxtr @ Aug. 26 2012,13:09)
It isn't religion.
Honest.

Sergiomendes on the "On self-evident moral truth" thread:

"Barry arrington,

now is Uncommon Descent site concerned more and more of Christianity, filosofia, atheism and less and less sciences, yes?

sergio"

I somehow wonder if Sergio is related to the recently deceased Mr. Nakashima.

There's only one thing self-evident on that thread ... and hopefully it will be up for posterity for all to see!

--------------
Joe: Most criticisims of ID stem from ignorance and jealousy.
Joe: As for the authors of the books in the Bible, well the OT was authored by Moses and the NT was authored by various people.
Byers: The eskimo would not need hairy hair growth as hair, I say, is for keeping people dry. Not warm.

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,16:15   

Quote (Freddie @ Aug. 22 2012,14:27)
Someone has a hard-on for Dawkins recently judging by the number of new threads targeting him on the UD site.

How long before Sal chips in to claim Dawkins beats puppy's just like his god Darwin?

___

I love it that KF just posted a 4,000 word OP about how he was 'slandered' on another blog.  

Hey Mr. Fucking Bydandy, how about you grow a pair like your supposed ancestors, sign up over there and state your case rationally in a post of 100 words or less.  

Oh, right, I remember why now ...

Do I get a prize for being in the ballpark?

slimeysal:

--------------
Joe: Most criticisims of ID stem from ignorance and jealousy.
Joe: As for the authors of the books in the Bible, well the OT was authored by Moses and the NT was authored by various people.
Byers: The eskimo would not need hairy hair growth as hair, I say, is for keeping people dry. Not warm.

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,16:54   

Man, this is getting bizarre more bizarre than usual. In his "Update: Toronto earns a bar to poster child status (as does Petrushka) in a TSZ thread, with several others joining in and showing the habitual incivility and strawman tactics of too many design objectors" (yes - even his headings are TLDR) thread KF is complaining bitterly about the discussion at TSZ and, while explaining that while he is running commentary, he will not lower himself to participate over there. However, it is not quite convincing, as even he seems to realise.

Sal, however, comes up with an answer:

Perhaps the way to make the exchange between Petrushka and Toronto and KairosFocus fair, they could ban KairosFocus from TheSkepticalZone.

That would seem the most fair arrangement to me. Of course, if TSZ did that, Toronto and Petrushka and the others would have less reason keep fielding complaints. But I expect that won’t happen because they want to feel justified in complaining.

So an offer KairosFocus, if you like, on threads that I’m the author of at TheSkepticalZone, I could ban you. Would you like me to do that? I’m happy to oblige. Same for Barry, I can ban him from my threads at TSZ. If I did that, then they wouldn’t have a lot of basis for complaining anymore. :-)

So, in tit-for-tat UD upside down land they can claim they are being barred from discussion and complain even harder about being opressed.
All good with KF:

PPPS: Sal, ban away. No skin off my nose.

Edited because I am compelled to.

Edited by Ptaylor on Aug. 27 2012,10:25

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,17:02   

Someone should ask Barry if a lawyer should cross examine a child rape victim for money. Or doesn't mental cruelty count?

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,17:08   

Quote (Ptaylor @ Aug. 26 2012,16:54)
Man, this is getting bizarre more bizarre than usual. In his "Update: Toronto earns a bar to poster child status (as does Petrushka) in a TSZ thread, with several others joining in and showing the habitual incivility and strawman tactics of too many design objectors" (yes - even his headings are TLDR) thread KF is complaining bitterly about the discussion at TSZ and, while explaining that he is running commentary, he will not lower himself to participate over there. However, it is not quite convincing, as even he seems to realise.

Sal, however, comes up with an answer:

Perhaps the way to make the exchange between Petrushka and Toronto and KairosFocus fair, they could ban KairosFocus from TheSkepticalZone.

That would seem the most fair arrangement to me. Of course, if TSZ did that, Toronto and Petrushka and the others would have less reason keep fielding complaints. But I expect that won’t happen because they want to feel justified in complaining.

So an offer KairosFocus, if you like, on threads that I’m the author of at TheSkepticalZone, I could ban you. Would you like me to do that? I’m happy to oblige. Same for Barry, I can ban him from my threads at TSZ. If I did that, then they wouldn’t have a lot of basis for complaining anymore. :-)

So, in tit-for-tat UD upside down land they can claim they are being barred from discussion and complain even harder about being opressed.
All good with KF:

PPPS: Sal, ban away. No skin off my nose.

I think Sal should have his moderation privileges removed (he doesn't actually have them, only posting privileges).

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,17:37   

KF quotes somebody or other:

The uniformity principle is not a generalization of generalization; it is not a statement guilty of circularity, as some critics contend. So what is it? Simply this: when we come upon some uniformity in our experience or thought, we may readily assume that uniformity to continue onward until and unless we find some evidence or reason that sets a limit to it. Why? Because in such case the assumption of uniformity already has a basis, whereas the contrary assumption of difference has not or not yet been found to have any. The generalization has some justification; whereas the particularization has none at all, it is an arbitrary assertion….

KF adds:

I trust this helps those who want to reflect on underlying matters of logic.

Well, I've never experienced other than longwinded, bulleted flapdoodle from KF, and the expectation of more of the same has never been disappointed.

(So he has a point. Which shows that inductive conclusions aren't airtight.)

Edited by Reciprocating Bill on Aug. 26 2012,18:38

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,17:51   

Update from Sal:

KairosFocus:

Sal, ban away. No skin off my nose

You are hereby banned from any threads that I author at THZ. If you show up, I’ll have to show you the door.

Sal

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,18:07   

Quote (Ptaylor @ Aug. 26 2012,17:51)
Update from Sal:

KairosFocus:

You are hereby banned from any threads that I author at THZ. If you show up, I’ll have to show you the door.

Sal

Sal is just as odious as always. Shame for those who have treated him well and tried to further his education over at TSZ.

--------------

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,18:41   

Quote (Ptaylor @ Aug. 26 2012,17:51)
Update from Sal:

KairosFocus:

Sal

Where's THZ? The Heptical Zone?

--------------

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 26 2012,19:36   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Aug. 26 2012,15:37)
KF quotes somebody or other:

The uniformity principle is not a generalization of generalization; it is not a statement guilty of circularity, as some critics contend. So what is it? Simply this: when we come upon some uniformity in our experience or thought, we may readily assume that uniformity to continue onward until and unless we find some evidence or reason that sets a limit to it. Why? Because in such case the assumption of uniformity already has a basis, whereas the contrary assumption of difference has not or not yet been found to have any. The generalization has some justification; whereas the particularization has none at all, it is an arbitrary assertion….

KF adds:

I trust this helps those who want to reflect on underlying matters of logic.

Well, I've never experienced other than longwinded, bulleted flapdoodle from KF, and the expectation of more of the same has never been disappointed.

(So he has a point. Which shows that inductive conclusions aren't airtight.)

Is he attempting to address the human capacity for pattern recognition? He's pretty sloppy about it.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

10669 replies since Aug. 31 2011,21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (356) < ... 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]