RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (74) < ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... >   
  Topic: Wildlife, What's in your back yard?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,06:55   

Quote (dhogaza @ Dec. 26 2010,15:33)
I took it out xmas day to test the lens and familiarize myself with it.  Here are a couple of hand-held images taken at 1/160, ISO 400.  I think image stabilization works ...

Nice shots. Enjoy the wonder that is image stabilization!

Quote (dhogaza @ Dec. 26 2010,15:33)
In honor of Lou's pissed-off bird fetish, this guy looks a bit annoyed in comparison to the first:

I have started a meme, and it is good. :)

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,08:29   

It's hard to find a bird who can look more pissed-off than a Tufted Titmouse.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,09:20   

As long as we are posting POed birds, here is my contribution.  It isn't a great shot because I took it through a window, but you can at least catch the attitude.

Female Northern (yellow-shafted) Flicker (and thanks to 'Ras and Albatrossity for identifying it for me)

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,11:23   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Dec. 27 2010,06:51)

I can't grab the image location either though...

Yeah...I don't think Shutterfly is a true sharing site; it's more of a site for folks who want to use photos to make presentations and such. It doesn't seem to store true pictures in individual formats, but rather has ways of storing groups of images for use in different arrangements. I'll have to join something like flickr to post pics I think.

Wonder if I can link to photos at Facebook...I'll give that a try.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,11:29   

Hmmm...this might be the better way for me to post pics. This is from my Facebook account:

That's Yours Truly with my old camera on safari.

ETA: removed header info.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,12:57   

Oh, so we're posting self-portraits now, are we?

They call me the invisible photographer ...

It's a magic lens, it made the invisible night heron in the scene above visible:

Actually, it flew off afterwards.  Highlights blown out, I don't really miss Fuji Velvia at all, shooting digital RAW you can easily catch the full dynamic range found in a shot like that.

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,13:02   

Hmmm, there's a startling inconsistency between the top shot and bottom one (other than the bird having gone missing when I took the top one).

Can y'all figure it out? :)

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,13:04   

Pissed off ... and has the feet to do something about it!

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,13:27   

Quote (dhogaza @ Dec. 27 2010,13:04)

Pissed off ... and has the feet to do something about it!

DAAAAAAAMMM...

Show off...

--------------

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,13:43   

Quote (dhogaza @ Dec. 27 2010,11:02)
Hmmm, there's a startling inconsistency between the top shot and bottom one (other than the bird having gone missing when I took the top one).

Can y'all figure it out? :)

Judging by the shadows, I'd say you took the bottom one first?

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,14:00   

Judging by the shadows, I'd say you took the bottom one first?

Well, that's not the inconsistency I had in mind, but you're right, you've found a bonus inconsistency!

Mine is the fact that the shot from the series that I posted is horizontal, while the shot of camera and tripod and pillow (an indispensable tool!) shows the camera turned to the vertical position ...

Robin - I'll let you in on a secret ... the goshawk's been captured and banded and was being held just prior to release.  Goshawks do tend to get pissed off, though ...

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,14:39   

Really sweet shots!

--------------

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,15:25   

Quote (dhogaza @ Dec. 27 2010,14:00)

Robin - I'll let you in on a secret ... the goshawk's been captured and banded and was being held just prior to release.  Goshawks do tend to get pissed off, though ...

Actually, I thought it might be, but it's still an amazing shot.

--------------

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,16:31   

Ok...let's try this again.

Here's a second Cooper's that came to visit yesterday. I don't yet have any pics of birds cranky with me, but this gal's still sportin' some 'tude:

Clearly need some work; the first shot is much more colorful. Not sure why yet.

--------------

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,16:35   

I really like this shot:

He wasn't too nervous about me stepping slowly towards him. I shot this with 200mm f5.6 and while I blew it up .5X, it really helped that he let me get so close.

--------------

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2010,18:02   

I don't yet have any pics of birds cranky with me, but this gal's still sportin' some 'tude

A female cooper's hawk on the attack has 'tude roughly equivalent to that of an NFL linebacker trying to kill a running back ...

The cardinal's very nice ... if you'd taken a half-step to the right, that little branch might've been out of the way, but it can be really difficult to see such obstructions in the viewfinder ...

Were both cooper's hawks shot with in-camera generation of JPEGs, or post-processed from raw?   In-camera shot-to-shot JPEG conversions of roughly the same scene ought to be of similar color saturation ... strange.

You're lucky to have raptors coming to your back yard like this.  I live in a fairly sterile neighborhood, though last year I did see a young peregrine falcon chasing a city pigeon in circles over a local light-industrial building a few blocks from home!   'Round and 'round and round they went, for probably five minutes, the pigeon able to turn more tightly than the peregrine, but not able to escape.  Finally the pigeon - probably tiring - broke off in a straight line with the peregrine on its heels.  Unfortunately buildings were in the way and they were low, didn't get to see the grand finale, but I'd bet on the peregrine.

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2010,06:31   

Quote (dhogaza @ Dec. 27 2010,18:02)
The cardinal's very nice ... if you'd taken a half-step to the right, that little branch might've been out of the way, but it can be really difficult to see such obstructions in the viewfinder ...

The branch up the cardinal's butt? No...that's actually holding the bird in place!

:p

I kid...and you're right. Of course, the cardinal wasn't cooperative much longer.

Were both cooper's hawks shot with in-camera generation of JPEGs, or post-processed from raw?   In-camera shot-to-shot JPEG conversions of roughly the same scene ought to be of similar color saturation ... strange.

They were both shot JPEG. Slightly different angles though. The first shot - the Cooper's looking down - was about 4 feet closer (she let me get really close) and about 5 feet to the right of the second shot. Interestingly, there was a second Cooper's up in a tree about 70 feet away or so and they kept calling to one another the whole time I was out.

You're lucky to have raptors coming to your back yard like this.  I live in a fairly sterile neighborhood, though last year I did see a young peregrine falcon chasing a city pigeon in circles over a local light-industrial building a few blocks from home!   'Round and 'round and round they went, for probably five minutes, the pigeon able to turn more tightly than the peregrine, but not able to escape.  Finally the pigeon - probably tiring - broke off in a straight line with the peregrine on its heels.  Unfortunately buildings were in the way and they were low, didn't get to see the grand finale, but I'd bet on the peregrine.

Yeah, our neighborhood is near two parks and has a fair bit of cover. A lot of folks (like me) have feeders out so we get a lot of Cooper's coming in to pick off song bird meals. I put out seed specifically for mourning doves and Rock Doves and call them "Hawk Bait". We don't get many Rock Doves, but plenty of Mourning. Lots of Goldfinches and Cardinals too.

The day I took the photos above, we not only got that Cooper's and his friend, but a third Cooper's - an adult female - flew near our house from a neighbor's. There was also a Red-tail who came by our house - once within about 15 feet - three times that day. Too skittish to shoot though. And lastly, we saw what I think was a juvenile Broad-wing sitting across from our house at a neighbor's in the late morning.

That was a very unusual day though - not sure what all the raptor attention was all about.

The juvenile  Coopers show up about four times a week though. We're really lucky with that and I count my birding blessings. :)

--------------

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2010,16:53   

A lot of folks (like me) have feeders out so we get a lot of Cooper's coming in to pick off song bird meals. I put out seed specifically for mourning doves and Rock Doves and call them "Hawk Bait".

Well, rock doves are used as lure birds to trap raptors, and turtle doves as backups to lure those made skittish by massive fat old pigeons.

And, as I'm sure you've heard, there are only two kinds of birds:

Raptors, and raptor food.

ppb

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2010,07:23   

There have been some awesome bird pics on this thread lately.  I especially liked the wood duck.

We escaped the great east coast blizzard of 2010 by heading south to Florida for Christmas.  I got to take a short birding break and got up close and personal with a Cattle Egret.

I also got some shots of an Osprey.

These were taken on Sand Key in Clearwater.

ETA: Albatrossity tells me the egret is probably a Great Egret, so I bow to his superior bird identification prowess.

--------------
"[A scientific theory] describes Nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And it agrees fully with experiment. So I hope you can accept Nature as She is - absurd."
- Richard P. Feynman

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2010,08:10   

Nice shots, Robin. You know I love the pissed-off bird shots!

ppb, you gotta love the Ospreys. I love the patterns under their wings. Gorgeous birds.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2010,08:14   

Sort of a cheat, I was at the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher a few weeks back when I shot these Wood Ducks (Aix sponsa).

--------------

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2010,10:26   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Dec. 30 2010,08:14)
Sort of a cheat, I was at the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher a few weeks back when I shot these Wood Ducks (Aix sponsa)

Not a cheat; they look like wild and wooly wood ducks to me!

Re ppb's egret, the loooong neck, bill shape, black legs, and greenish lores (area between the eye and the beak) are pretty diagnostic for Great Egret. Here's a closeup of one I took in the SF Bay Area a couple of years ago.

Additional images from that excursion are here.

--------------
                        - Pattiann Rogers

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2010,14:34   

Yeah, nothing wrong with Lou's wood ducks.  Mine were at a public park, where they come up to you looking for food if you toss a few bits of pea gravel from the walkway into the water.  They're wild (they'll leave in spring) but friendly.

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2010,14:46   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Dec. 30 2010,10:26)

Additional images from that excursion are here.

Ooo...really like the second pic (from top to bottom) of the White Crowned Sparrow (in the barbed wire). Nice.

And I'm surprised you didn't post the pic of the Anna's Hummingbird sporting the 'tude for Lou.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2010,14:47   

Just caught this White Ibis (Eudocimus albus) wandering around the parking lot out front of my apartment with a few of his friends a few minutes ago.

No one gave me any attitude, though.

Edited by Lou FCD on Dec. 31 2010,15:49

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2010,14:56   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Dec. 30 2010,11:26)
Here's a closeup of one I took in the SF Bay Area a couple of years ago.

whoa.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2010,15:03   

Quote (Robin @ Dec. 30 2010,15:46)
Ooo...really like the second pic (from top to bottom) of the White Crowned Sparrow (in the barbed wire). Nice.

Again.

whoa.

--------------

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2010,16:56   

Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna), with a 'tude. Wishing you all a Happy New Year, and many new critters for your life lists in 2011.

--------------
                        - Pattiann Rogers

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2010,17:00   

Sigh, I need to get back to Florida for another bird photo trip.  White Ibis are great.

This guy was pissed off at me, I was standing in about a foot of salt water in a lagoon, my 600/4 on my tripod, kicking water at this dude trying to get him to give me a look.

"Give me a look, you bastard, I'm photographing you!!!" (kick, splash).  As you can see, I splashed it so hard it lost a leg!

Some dude (who later became photo editor of Wild Bird) told me about this Reddish Egret and his perch in the middle of the lagoon, when we were shooting at the Everglades.  Three days later, it was still there ...

Crappy, unsaturated scan, though :(

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2010,19:24   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Dec. 31 2010,17:56)
Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna), with a 'tude. Wishing you all a Happy New Year, and many new critters for your life lists in 2011.

Right back at ya'!

Quote (dhogaza @ Dec. 31 2010,18:00)
"Give me a look, you bastard, I'm photographing you!!!" (kick, splash).  As you can see, I splashed it so hard it lost a leg!

Nice shot, and I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one who cusses the birds when they don't do what I want... "Asshole" and "Bastard" are frequent outbursts from me when I'm trying to shoot them.

--------------

2219 replies since Jan. 24 2008,14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (74) < ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]