RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (37) < ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... >   
  Topic: No reason for a rift between science and religion?, Skeptic's chance to prove his claims.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,11:31   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Oct. 31 2007,15:42)
I've now spent a considerable amount of time reading this entire thread.  To put it nicely I'd like my money back please.

Thank you

Fair enough. Tell me where to send the refund.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,11:48   

Isn't anyone on this thread going to address that whole "God-microwaving-a-burrito" dilemma?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,11:58   

Actually if someone could provide one shred of evidence for the existance of a "soul" I'd think I'd gotten my money's worth.

I'm not looking for a definition of a soul, I'm looking for evidence.  I know the IDjust have a difficult time distinguishing between the two.

So, according to Christian mythology I (and you, gentle reader) have a soul.  Where is it?  Can you prove it. Or is this just another bible lie?

Anyone?

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,12:03   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Oct. 31 2007,16:58)
Actually if someone could provide one shred of evidence for the existance of a "soul" I'd think I'd gotten my money's worth.

I'm not looking for a definition of a soul, I'm looking for evidence.  I know the IDjust have a difficult time distinguishing between the two.

So, according to Christian mythology I (and you, gentle reader) have a soul.  Where is it?  Can you prove it. Or is this just another bible lie?

Anyone?

I'd have got my money's worth too.

I spent a reasonable amount of effort on this thread trying to explain very simple philosophy 101 to a dunderhead who seems to think that disagreement is sufficient to overturn observed reality.

It would have been worth it to discover some evidence for a soul.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,12:05   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Oct. 31 2007,16:48)
Isn't anyone on this thread going to address that whole "God-microwaving-a-burrito" dilemma?

Ahhh the Diego El Cartesian paradox.

Eh Gringo, can god mikrowave a burrito so hot he cannot eeeeeet it.

A timeless classic.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,12:08   

Quote (Louis @ Oct. 31 2007,12:05)

A timeless classic.

Louis

Hmmpphh. Not providing any answers, I see.  :angry:

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,12:12   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Oct. 31 2007,17:08)
Quote (Louis @ Oct. 31 2007,12:05)

A timeless classic.

Louis

Hmmpphh. Not providing any answers, I see.  :angry:

The answer I shall give is the answer I have always received from theists:

"Yes.....

No.....

Why should he want to? Who are you to demand anything of god....."

Louis

--------------
Bye.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,12:23   

It would have been worth it to discover some evidence for a soul.

Louis[/quote]
Eh... Souls Gringo?  We don't need no stinkin' souls...

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,12:30   

Well if no one can offer any evidence for a soul perhaps we might discuss whether teaching cannibalism and not just believing in zombies but actually praying (telepathy?) to them (begging zombies for special favors/treatment) is good for children.

I'm all for children enjoying make believe time but I think at some point you have to draw the line.

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

SpeedDemon

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,12:47   

Quote (skeptic @ Oct. 29 2007,18:26)
Consider a Star Wars example for the metaphysical case.  The Force is detectable but not by any except the Jedi.  Does the Force only exist for the Jedi?  Are normal people like Han correct is saying it doesn't exist because they've never seen it.

The Force is detectable, via midi-chlorians, with a simple blood test.  Qui-Gon Jinn showed us that in The Phantom Menace.  So in that fantasy world, the Force does exist for everyone.

In your fantasy world, things are looking pretty bleak.

SD

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,13:03   

Actually that was the point I was trying to make.  The Force is detectable in this example and maybe in 5000 years God will be too, who can say?

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,13:18   

Quote (skeptic @ Oct. 31 2007,13:03)
Actually that was the point I was trying to make.  The Force is detectable in this example and maybe in 5000 years God will be too, who can say?

WTFF??!! You can "what if" yourself to death skeptic!

I know this is Halloween, but you're really scaring me here!  No rational person over the age of 6 could possibly be making this as a semi-rational argument!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,13:18   

Well according to leading intelligent design scientist, William Dimski, there is an invisible world inhabited with winged humanoids.  Maybe the Father of the Sacred Zombie lives in that invisible world.  

If that's the case the only way we'll ever detect him is to buy Dimski's books.

You can also detect the Father of the Sacred Zombie by reading the bible codes which is also advocated by William Dimski.  You see, this Zombie Father put little secret codes in the bible so we could...well who the fuck knows...But anyhow...

See skeptic, I'm not a believer and yet I know all the ways you can detect Him now and spare yourself the 5000 year wait.

You're welcome!

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,13:43   

Quote (J-Dog @ Oct. 31 2007,13:18)

WTFF??!! You can "what if" yourself to death skeptic!

I know this is Halloween, but you're really scaring me here!  No rational person over the age of 6 could possibly be making this as a semi-rational argument!

Or, as Elvis supposedly used to say, "and if my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle."

A wise old man there, Mister Presley. I bet HE would have answered my burrito question, except of course he's dead.

:(

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,13:59   

Obliviot,

Re: your "what if" type argument, I'll play the same game I did with you before:

Right now other people have been detected murdering children and raping their corpses, maybe in a week you'll be detected murdering children and raping their corpses. Therefore my belief that you murder children and rape their corpses is justified because maybe it will be shown to be factual in the future.

By the way I choose this example very deliberately because it is so abhorrent and so unlike anything I would even conceive of thinking about you or anyone. Its massively unlikely probability and its visceral unpleasantness is a rhetorical slap to the face. The point is that ANYTHING no matter how extreme or wishful or whacky or vile or good etc can be justified on this basis. Hence why I say by your own standards shall you be judged. If you keep promoting these fallacious pseduo arguments as support for your claims (which they do not even support) then I'm sorry but I'll keep pointing out to you how vacuous they are. It seems you don't understand nuanced argument so the sledgehammer version is being used.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

SpeedDemon

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,14:29   

So there is no evidence for your god interacting in the observable universe.  Check.

We might be able to detect your god in 5,000 years.  Or maybe not.  Check.

Other than your wishful thinking, do you have anything at all to offer?

SD

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,14:39   

as for objective evidence, no, there is none.  But if you ask for evidence on an individual basis you get a completely different answer.  Also, it is the height of arrogance to say that just beause I don't see something now, then I will never see and in truth that something doesn't really exist anyway.  This is not a scientific argument but a faith-based one.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,14:43   

Quote (skeptic @ Oct. 31 2007,19:39)
as for objective evidence, no, there is none.  But if you ask for evidence on an individual basis you get a completely different answer.  Also, it is the height of arrogance to say that just beause I don't see something now, then I will never see and in truth that something doesn't really exist anyway.  This is not a scientific argument but a faith-based one.

So you agree that we'll be seeing you murder kids and rape their corpses in the future then?

Oh Officer! I think we've found him!

Obviously it would be the very HEIGHT of arrogance to say that because we haven't seen you do this now, then we will never see you do this.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,14:55   

In 5,000 years we might prove that Elvis Presley is the intelligent designer. I mean we cannot detect this now, but who knows what science might be able to detect in 5,000 years.

--------------

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,15:02   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Oct. 31 2007,14:55)
In 5,000 years we might prove that Elvis Presley is the intelligent designer. I mean we cannot detect this now, but who knows what science might be able to detect in 5,000 years.

Is that Early Elvis, or the Fat Vegas Elvis?

--------------

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,15:14   

Quote (J-Dog @ Oct. 31 2007,15:02)

Why, the Elvis as the Intelligent Designer Elvis of course.

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,15:16   

Quote (J-Dog @ Oct. 31 2007,20:02)

And did he kill kids and rape their corpses? Because I believe Skeptic is going to and just because we haven't seen him do it yet is no evidence he won't do it in the future. And because I believe it that makes it true until someone disproves it. Good luck finding that evidence of Skeptic never killing kids and raping their corpses anywhere at all time with any kid. It MIGHT be true so it's just as good as any alternative you can come up with. So there. With knobs on.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,15:17   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Oct. 31 2007,20:14)

Ok where did Richard T Hughes' photo from?

HAR HAR THAT IS RTH AND NOT TEH SEXI_HAWT!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,15:24   

That's not Richard Hughes, that is the Intelligent Designer, you rube!

I put the evidence right in front of you and you make it into a Richard Hughes joke.  

You Darwinists are all alike!  Damn you, damn you all to hell!

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,16:32   

Quote (Louis @ Oct. 31 2007,15:17)
Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Oct. 31 2007,20:14)

Ok where did Richard T Hughes' photo from?

HAR HAR THAT IS RTH AND NOT TEH SEXI_HAWT!

Louis

Richard doesn't dress that well.

--------------

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2007,23:08   

Wow, that was truely uncalled for.  For the first time I think I'm considering a cleansing exercise to rid myself of that image.

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 01 2007,11:01   

Quote (skeptic @ Oct. 31 2007,23:08)
Wow, that was truely uncalled for.  For the first time I think I'm considering a cleansing exercise to rid myself of that image.

No one said the Intelligent Designer was HWP or even handsome.  

I'm telling you people HE is the intelligent designer and science may prove it in 5,000 years.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 01 2007,12:02   

I mean, like, after all, one explanation is as good as another, right?

Aren't we ALL just trying to explain the world?  Like, in our own ways and stuff?

Just because you have presuppositions that you have not dealt with yet (I mean, like, c'mon, 'k, all you evilutionists are atheists.  'sup with that?) doesn't mean that you are like more right than me.  

I'm sooooooo over facts.  Just ask Walt Brown.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 01 2007,12:04   

Hurry, someone, pull Erasmus away from the Mtv, it's really screwing up his speech patterns!!!!

SpeedDemon

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 01 2007,13:09   

Quote (skeptic @ Oct. 31 2007,14:39)

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

I'm amused by your complete lack of argument, and your army of strawmen, but not surprised.  You need to come up with something  other than rhetorical games to explain reality better than what we've already got.

SD

1091 replies since Aug. 06 2007,07:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (37) < ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]