RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,02:24   

Guthrie, you should realize that if phishy is John Davison, he's not actually responsible for his actions.  It doesn't appear to be simple senility, it looks more like an undiagnosed stroke of some kind.

pressmydigitator

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,04:46   

Fishyfred is sure as #### not John Davison. John Davison is not that polite. He has been insulting the #### out of you folks over here and you are letting him get away with it. It's a  mistake if you ask me.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,05:21   

PressMyDigitator: Don't confuse "PhishyPhred" with "FishyFred". The former is a bad comedy act combining:
offensive imitations of chinese-english,
ad hominem insinuations about anyone who propounds views at odds with his Role Model &/or Alter Ego, DaveScot, and
a total disregard for the content of those views.

The latter is, so far as I can tell, a sensible person.

Do you really think it's a mistake not to rebut the ravings of an obvious lunatic like JAD? I figure he's his own worst enemy. If there's anyone that can read more than a couple of sentences of his without suspecting serious mental problems, I doubt any amount of rational rebuttal will reach him/her. And what would be the point of trying to trump JAD in the puerile insult competition?

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,05:37   

The recent upswing in UD sock puppet acitivity seems to tell us two things: they really dislike the existence of this forum, and they really, really dislike the ability for people to use a pseudonym here. The strategy of using each login as a disposable platform to blither from appears to be aimed at forcing the adoption of a policy that would restrict accounts to verifiable identities.

Edited by Wesley R. Elsberry on Feb. 13 2006,11:37

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,07:16   

I support such a system. Or a karma system, like /. has, which also encourages responsible behavior.

Artist in trainig

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,07:19   

Ok. A week of reading books (finished Pandas, read the God Gene, visiting my biologist-in-training relative and reading every post and comment at UD. I appear here now to offer my humble apologies to those I might have slighted, no matter how drunk.

I am and remain a christian, whether that suits you or not. My faith in God has never, to my knowledge, done me harm, and it has done me so much good.

That said, ID is a hoax perpetrated on those of us who look to experts for information by those who see Christians as marks for scams. I don't know where they are doing it but somewhere there has to be money being bilked out of believers.

I give to my church because I know what we do with the money. We pay the guy who marries and buries us and who helps us when we need comfort. We provide a great deal of help to our city's homeless. We help members of our Church who fall on hard times. We, as far as I can remember, only promote Christianity through our public deeds.

This ID nonsense has to be promoted through our government. No one else is that corrupt with as many resources. If this is a nod to the uneducated Christians who follow the "Fundementalist" paths, it is sickening. I am signing off at this point, probably for good (this is not my lifes work) but for God's sake, follow reason, logic and truth and you will not lose God if you already have him.

THere is a value in God that is hard for an atheist (I don't know a better word but I suspect that one is inadequate) to understand. You may feel that it is our way to lie to ourselves but I assure you it is not that simple and for the most part, that is not the case. Truth and evidence must trump dogma and superstition or else we hand the reigns over to those who would use our fear to control us. Sounds a little preachy, I know but, hey, I'm a Christian.

Thought I'd throw this little nugget to you from
http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/809

There is, in evolutionary psychology, no account of the emotions beyond the trivial, or of the sentiments,no account of action or intention, no account of the human ability to acquire mathematical or scientific knowledge, no very direct exploration of the mind’s power to act at a distance by investing things with meaning—no account, that is, of any of the features of the mind whose existence prompts a question about its origins. In its great hope as in so many other respects, evolutionary psychology has reposed its confidence on the bet that in time these things will be explained. If that is so, all that we on the outside can say is that time will tell.

And to that last statement, I would have to concur.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,07:28   

40-50% of the biologists who believe in evolution are christians, so you certainly don't have to give one up for the other. And if you want more info about why ID is a hoax, I suggest a book like Why Intelligent Design Fails.

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,07:28   

I think DaveScot has adopted John Davison as a surrogate father.  It all fits:  the perennial squabbles and reconciliations between the two of them, the instant invitation for JAD to rejoin UD once Dave was put in charge, Dave's habit of leaping to John's defense whenever he thinks John has been slighted, and this very DaveScottish attempt to rile up the folks over here so that they'll give JAD some attention:
John Davison is not that polite. He has been insulting the #### out of you folks over here and you are letting him get away with it. It's a  mistake if you ask me.

On the other hand, pressmydigitator could be JAD himself begging for some attention, which would be sadder still.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Sanctum

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,07:29   

Ait, congratulations on seeing the light - that didn't take long.
Although BWE can recall exactly when and why you started posting at uncommon descent he doesn't recall any encounters with you here at panda's thumb.
Has it come back to you yet where you met those nasty pandas thumbers who shouted you down when you were talking about Einstein?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,07:37   

What I like about the /. system, I think would work here if it could be implemented--people who have been around long enough to be trustworthy are given small powers of moderation. They can demerit comments for being offensive or garbage or whatever. Individual viewers of the site can select what level of comments to see. If you particularly want to see the worst comments, you can, but everybody else wouldn't have to. At /., they have so many comments that their system has 7 tiers, but here we'd only need two: regular and garbage.

I was just alerted to the fact that Uncommon Pissant has an RSS feed. This is the answer to our prayers, because they can't delete that once it's out. So everybody who uses RSS, please set up their site. That way they won't be able to delete a thread on us again.

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,07:45   

Quote (Artist in trainig @ Feb. 13 2006,13:19)
I don't know where they are doing it but somewhere there has to be money being bilked out of believers.

One of the more blatant sites is Dr. Dino (Hovind).  I mean, just look at it.  It's an online store with the sole purpose of "bilking believers".  Hovind's last press release boasted that he was speaking publicly over 700 times in a single year!  Do you really think he's doing it for free?  And ask Behe how many books he sold and speaking engagements he landed before he wrote his anti-evolution book.  The opportunities are plnetiful.

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,07:49   

speaking of him, I'd almost pay money to watch him teach algebra.

http://shopping.drdino.com/view_item.php?impulse=3

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,08:05   

####, now you made actually go and look at the site.  Unfortunately I started reading an article on snake spurs.  Keeping snakes happens to be one of my hobbies, and I have a keen interest in the subject.  So unfortunately, I read some of the article.  I think doing so actually killed some of my brain cells.

--------------
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,08:17   

LOL I can't remember if I was Hovind or Ken Ham who had that hilarious cartoon where a dinosaur, who has an eye on one side of his head, thinks something like "That works real good. I think I'll try real hard to evolve another one!" and he starts straining like unnngggghhhhhh...

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,08:23   

I am and remain a christian, whether that suits you or not.
and why in the world would it not???

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

PuckSR

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,08:32   

Once again....

ID(philosophy) != ID(science)

This ID nonsense has to be promoted through our government. No one else is that corrupt with as many resources. If this is a nod to the uneducated Christians who follow the "Fundementalist" paths, it is sickening. I am signing off at this point, probably for good (this is not my lifes work) but for God's sake, follow reason, logic and truth and you will not lose God if you already have him.

I actually feel sorry for people like AIT.  He had to waste a great deal of his time learning that ID is a trick.  He had the best of motivations.  He had heard the rumors...and was excited at the oppurtunity of reconciling religion and science.  Now, if only other people could begin to understand the absurdity of ID we could move on to building bridges between religion and science....

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,08:35   

No, feel happy for him, he learned. Now Salvador Cordova, or DaveScot--feel sad for them.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,08:55   

Everybody who wants thread #809 over at Uncommon Pissant better go get it now. DaveScot is claiming that obviously Cartesian Dualism is crap, and that the mind is just what the brain does. At some point he'll be clued in to the fact that Overlord Dembski is a Cartesian Dualist. When that happens, the thread might do the disappearing act thread 744 did.

Let me know when you have some way of measuring mind apart from brain and you can argue with me about it. In the meantime mind/brain duality strikes me as wool gathering so you aren’t going to persuade me of anything no matter how hard you try.

--DaveScot

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,09:23   

Here's something else for Artist in trainig to read: an article on Ken Ham.  According to the article, Ham pulls down a cool $120,000 a year.  Oh yeah, there's money to be made here.  You'll never go broke telling people what they want to hear.

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,09:36   

Re "DaveScot is claiming [...] that the mind is just what the brain does."

What?!?!? But that's just materialism in as many words, isn't it? Aka the arch enemy of I.D.? Did I miss something somewhere?

Henry

Paul Flocken

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,09:49   

Quote (stevestory @ Feb. 13 2006,13:49)
speaking of him, I'd almost pay money to watch him teach algebra.

http://shopping.drdino.com/view_item.php?impulse=3

Steve that link just reads item not located.  What was it?

--------------
"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.  Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."-John F. Kennedy

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,10:04   

Instructional videos where he teaches you Algebra. I guess the site does that internal navigation crap where the apparent link will not take someone there.

Oh and yes, Henry, that is materialism. DaveScot is some kind of agnostic, who actually thinks there is a real scientific theory in Dembski's work. He's been fooled by the math, in other words. He made a big stink saying you'd have to be a religious zealot to doubt common descent, perhaps without realizing that he was surrounded by creationists. Similarly, he is going to piss off people by calling dualism crap, but he doesn't know that yet.

Because he doesn't understand that ID is entirely a political movement motivated by religion, he's stepping on religious toes, and it's having consequences. Some ID supporters say he's destroying the blog.

I think it's great comedy. It's like watching the Three Stooges run around the deck of the titanic.

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,10:28   

Quote (Artist in trainig @ Feb. 13 2006,13:19)
Ok. A week of reading books (finished Pandas, read the God Gene, visiting my biologist-in-training relative and reading every post and comment at UD. I appear here now to offer my humble apologies to those I might have slighted, no matter how drunk.

I am and remain a christian, whether that suits you or not. My faith in God has never, to my knowledge, done me harm, and it has done me so much good.

*To you very good health sir!*
*Clink*

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,10:48   

If any of you ever get tired of laughing at the comic relief UD provides, you might want to check out how the "leaders" of the ID movement present their arguments in a more "thoughtful" context:

http://www.iscid.org/boards/ubb-get_topic-f-6-t-000152.html

not saying this isn't just as funny, but it is far more educational.

You will find Dembski, Nelson, and many other familiar names weighing in over there.

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,10:52   

That thread is a classic, Sir TJ.  To me, it points out two key things about the various ID supporters: first, that they are inacapable of appreciating or being swayed by any kind of rational argument; and second, that they can be made to look like blithering idiots without any effort at all.

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,10:55   

stevestory wrote:
I can't remember if I was Hovind or Ken Ham who had that hilarious cartoon where a dinosaur, who has an eye on one side of his head, thinks something like "That works real good. I think I'll try real hard to evolve another one!" and he starts straining like unnngggghhhhhh...

Steve,
You're thinking of Jim Pinkoski's masterpiece.  PZ Myers posted the cartoon on Pharyngula last June.  Follow this link and scroll down:
http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/pinkoski_again/P50/

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,11:36   

that they can be made to look like blithering idiots without any effort at all

they do just fine in that regard all by themselves, with no help whatsoever!

I still love Dembski's homeresque line:

By your great mass of words and facts you’ve lost the train of the argument

*snort*

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,12:00   

LOL keiths, that's so great.

WesleyDingleberry

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,15:25   

Wesley Elsberry...i love ability to use pseudonym here...i think it you who have problem with it...yes?...ud sockpuppet love this forum btw...love knowing pt pay attention to our every utterance...just wish you wouldn't keep trying keep us out of this forum...can i use phishyphred again now or you like this more?

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,17:27   

I've put together a little something for folks registering multiple accounts. I hope they like it. Happy Valentine's Day...

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]