RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (18) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >   
  Topic: Paley Goes to the Movies, Reviews of evolutionism-inspired films.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Flint

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,07:54   

I'm just saying that there might be a link, and demonstrating the harmlessness of Darwinism itself does not prove that Darwinism has no harmful impact on society. Nevertheless, the burden of proof rests with me, and I will be the first to admit it. By the way, I suspect that Darwinism is a deadly philosophy on its own terms...

I just get more confused by this. I'm sorry I didn't come in at the beginning. I'm baffled by what you might intend by the "philosophy" of "Darwinism". What I'm talking about here is very specific: the biological theory that differential survival rates filter heritable traits, selecting thereby those traits possessed by the most effective replicators. This is most emphatically NOT a "philosophy", this is a proposed, well-supported explanation for a very large body of observations.

My question was, how is an understanding of this natural feedback process detrimental to society? You dodged this question, confusing it with censorship. Maybe I just didn't understand. If people understand how survival filters out those characteristics that assist in survival, how does this understanding, directly or indirectly, cause social harm. You seem to be claiming that it does, but making no case for this claim that I can find.

And how is this understanding "deadly"? To whom? By what mechanism? Are there any other well-supported scientific explanations of the evidence that you would consider deadly? I suppose you might make a case that our knowledge of evolution, like our knowledge of physics, permits us to construct weapons we couldn't begin to build without the underlying theories. Is this what you mean?

So once again, it sounds to me that in your dictionary, "darwinism" is pretty synonymous with anti-God, and it's a "philosophy" because, well, I give up.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,08:08   

Louis:

Even if it were demonstrably the case that teaching evolutionary biology in schools was a causatively socially damaging in some manner (and again, there is no evidence it is AFAIK) that would have NOTHING to do with it's validity or accuracy as science.

True enough, something can be both dangerous and true. But knowing one part doesn't mean we shouldn't investigate the other.

Also one would have to question WHY it was socially damaging, i.e. why a relatively simple and (scientifically) uncontroversial scientific theory and series of data were somehow being singled out as a cause of societal problems. We return to the oft asked question, what makes evolutionary biology so terrible as opposed to meteorology or chemistry for example (both of which I might add refute clearly a number of creationist claims).

Because militant atheists, racists, and other malcontents justify their beliefs with evolution rather than chemistry or meteorology. As you know.

Basically, we can see through your nonsense, we're not impressed. Go troll something else, or better actually present this geocentric nonsense (oops sorry "model") you claim to have and stop pissing about with your social engineering muppetry.

I realise you think you're brilliant and intimidating, but as someone whose spent his life arguing with Jewish people, I can tell you that you're an amateur when it comes to debating. Just thought you'd like to know.  :p

--------------
Dey can't 'andle my riddim.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,08:12   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ July 05 2006,13:08)
Because militant atheists, racists, and other malcontents justify their beliefs with evolution rather than chemistry or meteorology. As you know.

I realise you think you're brilliant and intimidating, but as someone whose spent his life arguing with Jewish people, I can tell you that you're an amateur when it comes to debating. Just thought you'd like to know.  :p

(emphasis mine)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,08:16   

I realise you think you're brilliant and intimidating, but as someone whose spent his life arguing with Jewish people, I can tell you that you're an amateur when it comes to debating. Just thought you'd like to know.  

Have you ever debated Christianity, Geocentrism or denial of the moon landings with any Jews?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,08:28   

GCT:

I realise you think you're brilliant and intimidating, but [/b]as someone whose spent his life arguing with Jewish people, I can tell you that you're an amateur when it comes to debating.[/b] Just thought you'd like to know.  

(emphasis mine)

No racism here, just plenty of cultural knowledge. Judaism is by far the most intellectualised religion on Earth; this is one reason that Jewish culture embraces the mind. Read the Talmud.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,08:33   

Racists don't rationalize their beliefs with Christianity? Must have missed the memo on that one.

I'm glad to know that militant Christian malcontents justify their beliefs with Christianity, either. Whew.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,08:44   

Clearly, I've also missed something important here.

Which sounds like something one is more likely to hear:

(1) I'm justified in doing something antisocial because I have been called by God to do it/the Bible says this is proper; or

(2) I'm justified because normal biological variation implies slightly different rates of reproduction in subsequent generations.

Ghost has only heard the second? People actually USE this to justify antisocial behavior? Even the battle over the propriety of slavery involved Christians on both sides waving their Bibles and citing congenial verses.

I have never in my life heard anyone justify any "belief" on the grounds of differential reproductive success over long periods of time. I defy Ghost to back up his claim with even a single instance of this. Weird, man.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,09:13   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ July 05 2006,13:08)

If people justify their bad, wrong ideas (which shouldn't be construed to mean I think atheists have bad, wrong ideas) with incorrect understandings of physical theory, does that mean we should change the theory?

Maybe a better idea would be to educate people on what the theory really means. Given the virtually universal misunderstandings of evolutionary theory, this seems to me to be a laudable goal.

But I really don't think you want to tar evolutionary theory with the errors caused by misunderstandings of the theory. After all, look at the horrors precipitated by clearly erroneous readings of scripture. I'd wager that much more damage has been done due to unjustifed readings of Christian scripture than by any strained misinterpretations of neodarwinian evolution.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,10:22   

Here we read:

So at what point do a person's convictions become a health issue? In my opinion, the answer is this: A belief becomes cognitively unhealthy when the believer's free will and normal critical processes have been damaged by the belief system's dialectic. I argue that fundamentalist religions, insofar as they cripple a believer's ability to have free will, exhibit rational choice and appropriately assess the nature of the physical environment, have already passed this threshold.

Moreover, the effect of fundamentalism on society is as detrimental as the effect of fundamentalism on believers. Fundamentalists are the ones who fly planes into skyscrapers and murder doctors that perform abortions. They are the ones who deny the existence of proven physical phenomena while rabidly insisting on the existence of clearly unsubstantiated marvels.

They are also incapable of recognizing that they have a problem, and are often amongst the most intolerant people on this planet, commonly referring to non-believers as pagans, heathens, or infidels.

The differentiating factor must be this: A belief system is a mental disorder when it causes believers to deny the observations of empirical methodologies. With fundamentalists, this involves denying the nature of the physical world as it is being presented in favour of archaic and unyielding irrational orthodoxies; their brains have been infected and debilitated with unsubstantiated nonsense.

On the whole, a good sensible article. This guy says the cure is education. Preferably before the victims become "incapable of recognizing that they have a problem."

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,11:19   

OK, I've got some free time, so now I can play catch-up.

GTC:

My opinions of Jews are not shaped by the fanciful stereotypes of antisemites (ooooh those Jews -- they're so sneaky and clever), but from growing up in a largely Jewish neighborhood and school. And let me tell ya, nothing hones the mind like Jewish culture. Nothing. This site gives you an idea of what Talmudic study entails:

This attitude toward texts had its necessary concomitant in what may again be called the Talmudic hypothetico-deductive method of text interpretation. Confronted with a statement on any subject, the Talmudic student will proceed to raise a series of questions before he satisfies himself of having understood its full meaning. If the statement is not clear enough, he will ask, 'What does the author intend to say here?' If it is too obvious, he will again ask, 'It is too plain, why then expressly say it?' If it is a statement of fact or of a concrete instance, he will then ask, 'What underlying principle does it involve?' If it is broad generalization, he will want to know exactly how much it is to include; and if it is an exception to a general rule, he will want to know how much it is to exclude. He will furthermore want to know all the circumstances under which a certain statement is true, and what qualifications are permissible.

Statements apparently contradictory to each other will be reconciled by the discovery of some subtle distinction, and statements apparently irrelevant to each other will be subtly analyzed into their ultimate elements and shown to contain some common underlying principle. The harmonization of apparent contradictions and the interlinking of apparent irrelevancies are two characteristic features of the Talmudic method of text study. And similarly every other phenomenon about the text becomes a matter of investigation. Why does the author use one word rather than another? What need was there for the mentioning of a specific instance as an illustration? Do certain authorities differ or not? If they do, why do they differ?

All these are legitimate questions for the Talmudic student of texts. And any attempt to answer these questions calls for ingenuity and skill, the power of analysis and association, and the ability to set up hypotheses - and all these must be bolstered up by a wealth of accurate information and the use of good judgment. No limitation is set upon any subject; problems run into one another; they become intricate and interwoven, one throwing light upon the other. And there is a logic underlying this method of reasoning. It is the very same kind of logic which underlies any sort of scientific research, and by which one is enabled to form hypotheses, to test them and to formulate general laws.

Here's a sample from the Babylonian Talmud. The Summa Theologiae is a comic book in comparison.

Arden:

Racists don't rationalize their beliefs with Christianity? Must have missed the memo on that one.

Some do, like the Klan and many members of the Christian Identity sect. Most rely on Darwin. But don't take my word for it; log on a neonazi/racist website and run a poll; I predict that Darwin will come out on top. After all, Jesus was Jewish, and most racists dislike Jews.

Flint:

Which sounds like something one is more likely to hear:

(1) I'm justified in doing something antisocial because I have been called by God to do it/the Bible says this is proper; or

(2) I'm justified because normal biological variation implies slightly different rates of reproduction in subsequent generations.

Ghost has only heard the second? People actually USE this to justify antisocial behavior? Even the battle over the propriety of slavery involved Christians on both sides waving their Bibles and citing congenial verses.

Focus on the level of the society. People have a need for transcendence; this leads to a relationship with God. Take God out of the picture if you like, but the need's still there. Where does it go? Does it shrivel up like a raisin in the sun (or like an orbital in information space)? Or does it become sublimated in social/political movements, such as......oh, let's pick an ideology at random.......Communism? Marx brought more pain to the world in one century than Christianity in a millenium. In fact, not only are Christian societies more peaceful than Commie ones, they're more peaceful than Islamic/pagan ones. Pre-Christian Europe was a very violent place. Slavery? What makes Judeo-Christian society unique was not its practice of slavery, but its elimination of the institution. Ask Sowell or D'Souza. As for modern Europe, its civilisation is due to its Judeo-Christian roots; having lost them, Europe is slowly reverting into a state of savagery.

--------------

MidnightVoice

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,11:27   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ July 05 2006,16:19)
People have a need for trancendence;

What is I need?  And why do I need it?

--------------
If I fly the coop some time
And take nothing but a grip
With the few good books that really count
It's a necessary trip

I'll be gone with the girl in the gold silk jacket
The girl with the pearl-driller's hands

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,11:30   

Ghost:

You've lost me. Focus on differential reproductive success due to biological variation. HOW does recognition of this fact cause any sort of social decay?

Hey, I have no problem with your opinions about the quality (and inherent inferiority, of course) of societies you don't live in. I simply don't see how the understanding of differential reproductive success is causing these problems. You said it was. Please explain.

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,11:36   

MidnightVoice:

You must be gay. Otherwise you'd know. Remember that a thread or two back, it was gay marriage that was causing the collapse of society, not an understanding of reproductive success. I'm guessing that only gays understand reproductive success. What else could it be?

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,11:41   

Flint:

So at what point do a person's convictions become a health issue? In my opinion, the answer is this: A belief becomes cognitively unhealthy when the believer's free will and normal critical processes have been damaged by the belief system's dialectic. I argue that fundamentalist religions, insofar as they cripple a believer's ability to have free will, exhibit rational choice and appropriately assess the nature of the physical environment, have already passed this threshold.

All systems of belief have a crippling effect on free will. Once you have enough time and energy invested in a worldview, you have to be dragged from it kicking and screaming. Evos are just as emotional as creos; atheists are just as emotional and dogmatic as the religious. But let's see how the author supports his belief:

Moreover, the effect of fundamentalism on society is as detrimental as the effect of fundamentalism on believers. Fundamentalists are the ones who fly planes into skyscrapers

Not the Christian ones, just the ones that Europe likes to import. ;)

and murder doctors that perform abortions.

OK, fair enough, but let's compare the tens of thousands of third-trimester fetuses murdered each year to the handful of abortionists who are killed. Then we'll get a better picture of who's &^%&ing society up.*

They are the ones who deny the existence of proven physical phenomena while rabidly insisting on the existence of clearly unsubstantiated marvels.

Let's assume that heliocentrism/evolution/relativity/pick yer theory is correct. Has American society been harmed? Our scientists are still the best in the entire world. Europe should have such problems!

They are also incapable of recognizing that they have a problem, and are often amongst the most intolerant people on this planet, commonly referring to non-believers as pagans, heathens, or infidels.

But once again, what's the social harm of such name calling? Are atheists, pagans, gays, and other minorities being whacked in record numbers? According to crime statistics, not as often as white heterosexuals. That's why the media has to bring the same examples up year after year.

The differentiating factor must be this: A belief system is a mental disorder when it causes believers to deny the observations of empirical methodologies. With fundamentalists, this involves denying the nature of the physical world as it is being presented in favour of archaic and unyielding irrational orthodoxies; their brains have been infected and debilitated with unsubstantiated nonsense.

And yet in spite of this, America is a rich, powerful trendsetter that laps the field in most categories. Boo hoo.

*No, I don't believe that abortionists should be murdered, and have no sympathy for those who do.

--------------

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,11:56   

Some do, like the Klan and many members of the Christian Identity sect. Most rely on Darwin. But don't take my word for it; log on a neonazi/racist website and run a poll; I predict that Darwin will come out on top. After all, Jesus was Jewish, and most racists dislike Jews.

That seems pretty unlikely, given that the roots of anti-semitism are buried deep in Christianity.  Even going back as recently as the Holocaust, the greatest contributing factor was the longstanding tradition of Christian hatred for Jews.  If you want to make the case that the theory of evolution has somehow supplanted Christianity in its capacity for inspiring hatred, be my guest.  But the case is yours to make, not ours.

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,12:05   

Let's assume that heliocentrism/evolution/relativity/pick yer theory is correct. Has American society been harmed?

But this was YOUR thesis, wasn't it? Or was it not the correctness of the theory of evolution that's causing social collapse, but rather that some people actually understand the theory? You weren't clear.

Once you have enough time and energy invested in a worldview, you have to be dragged from it kicking and screaming. Evos are just as emotional as creos

And, unsurprisingly, the relevance of evidence once again has escaped you. What this article is talking about isn't isolated conviction as to the truth of anything. He's very explicitly talking about conviction in defiance of enormous quantities of evidence to the contrary. He thinks that makes a difference. So do I. You don't even seem to recognize that it relates.

but let's compare the tens of thousands of third-trimester fetuses murdered each year

You have stumbled over your terminology. Murder is deliberately taking the life of a person. A 'person' is a legal construct. By law, fetuses are not people. You have made a religion-induced category error. Try again.

And yet in spite of this, America is a rich, powerful trendsetter that laps the field in most categories. Boo hoo

Well, let's see. America has a great many scientists, who are largely responsible for the "best in the entire world" quality of life. Even granting this rather dubious chauvinism, we might usefully ask what percentage of these scientists share the religious convictions you are so devoutely pimping for. After all, your defense against the accusation of religious wingnut-ism is that NON-wingnuts, who actually accept EVIDENCE (look it up), accomplish wonderful things. Now, one might hope that sooner or later, you might actually draw a correlation between scientific accomplishment and religious extremism, and notice that the two are for some strange reason nearly mutually exclusive.

And if this should ever occur to you, your sense of integrity might be sore distraught that you constructed special pleading so clearly dishonest.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,12:11   

MidnightVoice:

What is I need?  And why do I need it?

I define transcendence as a need to be part of something higher/greater than oneself. Could be God, could be a social ideal. But without the fulfillment, individuals often feel empty, bored, and deprived. Remember, American citizens are among the happiest in the world. Americans are also the most religious (at least among highly technological societies). I don't think it's a coincidence.

Flint:

Ghost:

You've lost me. Focus on differential reproductive success due to biological variation. HOW does recognition of this fact cause any sort of social decay?

Flint's a good man to have around. I hope yer takin notes, Louie, you could learn a thing or two.

OK: Here's the problem. First, there's the focus on biology instead of culture. Culture can be improved; biology, taken alone, cannot (leaving Mark Mcgwire and Barry Bonds out of this for the moment). This leads to a genetic reductionism that encourages callous attitudes towards "losers". That's why many atheists found eugenics and social Darwinism so congenial to their belief systems, at least before Hitler (and why many of the ones who rejected those values were forced into an equally rigid embrace of Marxism).

Second, most people, no matter how often you tell them they shouldn't, take their moral cues from nature in absence of something better. The struggle for survival needn't involve cruelty, but the most conspicuous examples often do, and people notice that the meek often end up in the bellies of their predators. A sort of moral heuristic takes over; I see that the jerks get ahead, and lacking any higher code, I'll follow their path to success. This, in turn, will maximise my reproductive opportunities. Who's to tell me otherwise? A book of "fairytales" that my science teacher has refuted? A moral nag? People need standards, whether they're intellectual, physical, or moral. Without a higher guide, logic can turn on itself, and then the rationalisations begin.

There's more to the story, but here's a start.

--------------

MidnightVoice

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,12:46   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ July 05 2006,17:11)
I define transcendence as a need to be part of something higher/greater than oneself. Could be God, could be a social ideal. But without the fulfillment, individuals often feel empty, bored, and deprived. Remember, American citizens are among the happiest in the world. Americans are also the most religious (at least among highly technological societies). I don't think it's a coincidence.

Well, I don't.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3157570.stm

Nigeria is the happiest country.  US ranks 16th.  I guess our sufferings at the hands of moronic religous fanatics have driven us down the table.  :D

Or, if you prefer the subjective view:

1. Puerto Rico
2. Mexico
3. Denmark
4. Colombia
5. Ireland
6. Iceland
7. N. Ireland
8. Switzerland
9. Netherlands
10. Canada
11. Austria
12. El Salvador
13. Venezuela
14. Luxembourg
15. U.S.
16. Australia
17. New Zealand
18. Sweden
19. Nigeria
20. Norway
21. Belgium
22. Finland
23. Singapore
24. W. Germany
25. France
26. Argentina
27. Vietnam
28. Chile
29. Indonesia
30. Philippines
31. Taiwan
32. Brazil
33. Spain
34. Israel
35. Italy
36. Portugal
37. E. Germany
38. Slovenia
39. Japan
40. Czech Rep
41. S. Africa
42. Croatia
43. Greece
44. Peru
45. China
46. Morocco
47. S. Korea
48. Iran
49. Poland
50. Turkey
51. Bosnia
52. Uganda
53. Algeria
54. Bangladesh
55. Egypt
56. Kyrgyzstan
57. Hungary
58. Slovakia
59. Jordan
60. Estonia
61. Serbia
62. Tanzania
63. Azerbaijan
64. Montenegro
65. India
66. Lithuania
67. Macedonia
68. Pakistan
69. Latvia
70. Albania
71. Bulgaria
72. Belarus
73. Georgia
74. Romania
75. Moldova
76. Russia
77. Armenia
78. Ukraine
79. Zimbabwe

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to get your facts right, especially the inconvenient ones that disagree with your preconceptions.  :D

--------------
If I fly the coop some time
And take nothing but a grip
With the few good books that really count
It's a necessary trip

I'll be gone with the girl in the gold silk jacket
The girl with the pearl-driller's hands

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,13:00   

Flint:

What this article is talking about isn't isolated conviction as to the truth of anything. He's very explicitly talking about conviction in defiance of enormous quantities of evidence to the contrary. He thinks that makes a difference. So do I. You don't even seem to recognize that it relates.

No, I agree that there are negative consequences that flow from evidence-wary mindsets. Does Christianity, or fundamentalist religion in general, often encourage a blinkered viewpoint? Certainly we can be awfully pig-headed and impervious to evidence that clashes with our belief. But for the author's argument to have any force, bad things must follow. So what are the bad things?

1) Has America's preoccupation (relative to Europe's) with "bible thumping" hurt us in science or trade? Can't see that it has. Why not? Perhaps religion itself often encourages critical thought. Let's take a second look at the Jews. In order to master the Talmud, one must master the mindset behind it, and this process engenders the logic and hypothesis-building that nurtures science. Christianity doesn't boast the same level of intellectual commitment on average, but Christian philosophy can get pretty daunting nonetheless. Pagan philosophy was similarly drenched in mysticism; heck, even Enlightenment figures usually grounded their ideas in religious concepts.

2) Have societies become less stable by adopting religious dogma? No....in fact, quite the opposite.

You say in response that religion harms individual achievement by closing minds to evidence. Now it's true that scientists (especially prominent ones) are disproportionately atheistic, but there are (and were) plenty of first-rate religious scientists, so what about them? First-rate science has been accomplished by many different types of individuals, and even those who abandoned their religion often used it as a starting-point to intellectual inquiry. Perhaps religion leads to scientific complacency in the modern world. Historically, however, it seems that religion provided the spark of curiosity that led to empirical inquiry. And atheism doesn't necessarily lead to clear thinking, as many a Chinese and Russian scientist will tell you.

--------------

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,13:05   

Ghost:

I think I'm starting to see where you're coming from now. When you speak about the "philosophy of Darwinism" this really has nothing whatsoever to do with Darwin's actual explanation of the evidence. Nor does it really have anything to do with biology at all. It's a phrase you coined to form free-associations in your mind with loss of belief in your particular god, which in turn is causing social degeneration from your perspective. Much as I might coin the phrase "the philosophy of baseballism" to symbolize what I might consider a trend toward medical problems resulting from too much fast food. You would be expected to understand that's what I meant, knowing (as you would) that I belong to a cult that hates baseball and blames it on anything and everything I ALSO hate.

The struggle for survival needn't involve cruelty, but the most conspicuous examples often do, and people notice that the meek often end up in the bellies of their predators.

I'm going to presume here that you understand that this has little to do with how evolution works. Most of the "superior" variations (always with respect to differential reproductive success) have more to do with ensuring a food supply than anything else. But we understand, do we not, that the people you're referring to really have little clue what evolution IS; they are justifying antisocial behaviors based on common misunderstandings.

But what you carefully avoid mentioning is that the cure for such misunderstandings is GOOD education, not anti-science propaganda. And of course I also trust we both understand that a quality education will do nothing to prevent antisocial behaviors; at best we can replace the current set of excuses and rationalizations.

People need standards, whether they're intellectual, physical, or moral. Without a higher guide, logic can turn on itself, and then the rationalisations begin.

Amazingly enough, I agree with you here. Standards, customs, protocols, traditions, routine practices, these things are very important for our basic sanity. But you're barking up the wrong tree if you think scientific explanations of observations undermine standards in any way. I personally believe that the Golden Rule is a truly excellent rule of thumb. I need not reject tested explanations of biological change over time to recognize this, or to follow that rule as well as I can.

Now, I may be wrong but I think you are saying that your particular magic book, by virtue of its wide distribution and "installed base" of believers, is the best guide available, for better or worse. Yeah, maybe it has a lot of contradictions, or a lot of recipes we no longer honor, a lot of tall tales to illustrate moral principles that some damfools take literally.

The Bible-program is riddled with bugs, but for some people it works. Personally, I think these people could lose the godball nonsense and yet lose none of their morality. And those who use the Bible as an excuse for antisocial behavior would use anything you could substitute, same as those who abuse misunderstandings about biology. You do NOT need to be irrational to have moral standards.

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,13:06   

Craaaaap... Greece is 43rd, and it's one of the most religious countries in Europe... Maybe it's because we're Orthodox? Which sect provides the more happiness in your book, Ghost?

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,13:14   

Perhaps religion itself often encourages critical thought. Let's take a second look at the Jews. In order to master the Talmud, one must master the mindset behind it, and this process engenders the logic and hypothesis-building that nurtures science.

Can you provide some more... context to your explanation? I fail to understand how trying to force your mind into one particular mould of thinking (whichever that may be) encourages the creativity and objectiveness the scientific thought requires.

--------------

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,13:18   

Ghost:

Does Christianity, or fundamentalist religion in general, often encourage a blinkered viewpoint? Certainly we can be awfully pig-headed and impervious to evidence that clashes with our belief. But for the author's argument to have any force, bad things must follow. So what are the bad things?

I think this is a legitimate question. Did you read the entire editorial I linked to? Clearly, he's not talking about people whose religious faith does NOT require them to reject inconvenient evidence and/or adopt bigoted postures toward personal differences. He's talking about those who *substitute* fundamentalism for reason and knowledge, and then try to spread ignorance.

But I'm in the same position you are here, trying to identify the harm done. Is Kurt Wise harmful? No, probably not. I work with a couple of excellent, highly skilled engineers who are YECs. Fortunately, their delusions do not overlap the requirements of their profession. In general, my observation has been that creationists have a roped-off blind spot. They are entirely rational, even rigorously logical, outside the ropes. It's always startling to me when that line is crossed, and their eyes glaze over. Almost like a post-hypotic command - say the keyword, and their mind disengages entirely.

So actual harm is difficult to demonstrate. I could only point out that the scientific advances are rarely if ever made by creationists, especially in biology. As a society, we advance despite, not because of, brainwashed ignorance. We can (and do) absorb large numbers of bigots. But as far as I'm concerned, this doesn't mean we should *encourage* bigotry. I suggest we'd be a LOT better off with more biologists and fewer bigots.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,13:42   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ July 05 2006,17:11)
Second, most people, no matter how often you tell them they shouldn't, take their moral cues from nature in absence of something better. The struggle for survival needn't involve cruelty, but the most conspicuous examples often do, and people notice that the meek often end up in the bellies of their predators. A sort of moral heuristic takes over; I see that the jerks get ahead, and lacking any higher code, I'll follow their path to success. This, in turn, will maximise my reproductive opportunities. Who's to tell me otherwise?

Bill, this argument founders on the fact that the vast majority (something like 80%) of Americans do not believe in evolution in the first place. Of the remainder (and subtracting out those who neither know nor care anything about evolution or creationism), I doubt you're going to find too many murderers, rapists, etc.

You simply cannot impute behavior based on a physical theory to people who do not subscribe to that theory. Are you going to claim that someone who believes the earth is less than 10,000 years old and that God created man in his own image is influenced in his or her behavior by a theory that contradicts both of those beliefs? If so, how?

--------------

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,14:18   

Faid:

Can you provide some more... context to your explanation? I fail to understand how trying to force your mind into one particular mould of thinking (whichever that may be) encourages the creativity and objectiveness the scientific thought requires.

I'm a lazy typist, so here goes:

The distinctive character of the Talmud derives largely from its intricate use of argumentation and debate. Some of these debates were actually conducted by the Amora'im, though most of them are hypothetically reconstructed by the Talmud's redactors ("This is what Rabbi X could have argued...") As in the Mishnah, the Amora'ic Rabbis encouraged multiple opinions and interpretations. Whereas the Mishnah usually limits itself to a brief statement of the conflicting views, the Talmud tries to verify the integrity of the positions of the Tanna'im and the Amora'im. Prooftexts are quoted to corroborate or disprove the respective opinions.
The process of deduction required to derive a conclusion from a prooftext is often logically complex and indirect. Every effort is made to uphold the correctnesss (i.e., the logical consistency) of the opinions ascribed to the Rabbis, though this often requires forced and unconvincing intepretations of the evidence.

The proof is in the kugel, as the Jews kick everyone's a$$ in intellectual achievement. Although the Greeks had the lead for a while....

MidnightVoice:
Hmmmmm.....I don't know what to make of it. On the one hand we have the cross-national surveys, which support your position, but on the other hand we've got this study, which replicated this study. Even though there are naysayers, and studies which show insignificantly positive results, I think the general trend is clear (also see here), if occasionally disputed.

Eric:

Bill, this argument founders on the fact that the vast majority (something like 80%) of Americans do not believe in evolution in the first place. Of the remainder (and subtracting out those who neither know nor care anything about evolution or creationism), I doubt you're going to find too many murderers, rapists, etc.

I don't know, I think a lot of thugs embrace a "law of the jungle" type mentality, and this attitude is engendered by evolution. Remember, you don't have to embrace a belief in order to have your worldview overlap with its penumbra.

Flint:

Did you read the entire editorial I linked to? Clearly, he's not talking about people whose religious faith does NOT require them to reject inconvenient evidence and/or adopt bigoted postures toward personal differences. He's talking about those who *substitute* fundamentalism for reason and knowledge, and then try to spread ignorance.
[....]
So actual harm is difficult to demonstrate. I could only point out that the scientific advances are rarely if ever made by creationists, especially in biology. As a society, we advance despite, not because of, brainwashed ignorance. We can (and do) absorb large numbers of bigots. But as far as I'm concerned, this doesn't mean we should *encourage* bigotry. I suggest we'd be a LOT better off with more biologists and fewer bigots.

Perhaps in purely objective terms, it's not the presence but the proportion of fundamentalists that matters. All I know is:

1) A third of America shares a great deal of my worldview; yet

2) Science is still with us. And what did Reed Cartright say about the University of Georgia's boasting a world class evo program? Sounds like us Gawguh fundies have failed miserably in our science-gutting......how are we doin' in Bama?

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

--------------

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,14:31   

Um...
Every effort is made to uphold the correctnesss (i.e., the logical consistency) of the opinions ascribed to the Rabbis, though this often requires forced and unconvincing intepretations of the evidence.

??? ?

Speaking Of Greeks (and 'pagan' philosophy): If you have read Protagoras, then maybe you know that Socrates and Protagoras, by the end of their debate, change their minds?

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,14:52   

Hey all you football/soccer fans, I need your opinion: do your think the refs will fix the World Cup final, or will it be on the level? I don't know much about the sport, but something hasn't seemed quite right about this tournament.....the way the brackets have been set, the penalties, etc. I know that some people suspect that the NBA finals are fishy, and there's a little evidence to back em up, but what about Soccer/Football? I don't have any strong opinions (honest), so here's yer chance to show off what you know.....all speculation welcome.

--------------

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,15:11   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ July 05 2006,19:52)
Hey all you football/soccer fans, I need your opinion: do your think the refs will fix the World Cup final, or will it be on the level? I don't know much about the sport, but something hasn't seemed quite right about this tournament.....the way the brackets have been set, the penalties, etc. I know that some people suspect that the NBA finals are fishy, and there's a little evidence to back em up, but what about Soccer/Football? I don't have any strong opinions (honest), so here's yer chance to show off what you know.....all speculation welcome.

I doubt the World Cup is fixed. Seen zero evidence so far. Referees are under a lot of pressure and mistakes get made. It is hard to judge exactly what happened in many incidents and refs don't have the luxury of slow motion replays from various angles.

I am glad Potugal are out. Their cheating/exploiting style of play in this competition was anoying to watch.

So France v Italy for the final. Hoping for a good match.

EDIT: Wow, what a change of subject. However I could not resist replying. (It is the worlds biggest sporting event is the only defence I can offer)

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,15:12   

Well, I don't think there are reasons to believe any results were rigged so far... Which team do you think is the refs' 'favorite'?

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: July 05 2006,15:19   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ July 05 2006,19:18)
I don't know, I think a lot of thugs embrace a "law of the jungle" type mentality, and this attitude is engendered by evolution. Remember, you don't have to embrace a belief in order to have your worldview overlap with its penumbra.

But if your belief is based on a complete misapprehension of the theory, how can your behavior be in any said to be based on that theory? As I pointed out before, do you hold Christianity responsible for all the atrocities committed in the name of a completely wrong interpretation of its teachings?

And if someone is completely unfamiliar with a theory, or worse, completely disagrees with that theory, how can their behavior be in any way ascribed to that theory?

And, if your theory is correct, we should see a correlation between people who believe in evolution and people who are criminals. I doubt you can show any such correlation. Let's look at people who absolutely believe in evolution—evolutionary biologists. How many of them are "thugs"? Now let's look at the number of people who definitely do not believe in evolution: young-earth creationists. What do you suppose the prison population looks like in terms of numbers of evolutionary biologists as opposed to numbers of young-earth creationists?

As I've said before, the Theory of Evolution is no more a prescription for a just society than the Theory of General Relativity is. If someone used the Theory of Relativity to justify the notion that heavier people should be able to crush the life out of lighter people, would we hold Einstein responsible for such a ridiculous belief? The Theory of Evolution provides absolutely no justification for a society where the strong oppress the weak. It's a radical misinterpretation of the theory to think so. Just because ecological studies often differentiate between predators and prey, does that mean society should categorize people as either "predators" or "prey"?

--------------

536 replies since June 07 2006,14:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (18) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]