RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (356) < ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 4, Fostering a Greater Understanding of IDC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,12:58   

Christian humanism in the modern sense is an oxymoron.  Christian is based on adherence to a supreme being (God).  Humanism is based on human morals, ethics, and humans as supreme.

Christian humanism in the classic sense is literary criticism (something Dembski would be pretty good at).

What is Christian Humanism

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,13:54   

kellyhomes pokes kairosfocus with a sharp stick:
And I know somebody that even when they were presented with such video evidence they simply refused to believe what they were seeing and constructed an elaborate explanation as to why the video was not showing what it was plainly showing. The person viewing the video never latched on to it’s true meaning.

I see what you did there.  A bit subtle for Gordon, isn't it?

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,14:15   

Quote (Patrick @ Oct. 13 2011,19:54)
kellyhomes [URL=http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/id-foundations-8-switcheroo-the-error-of-asserting-without-adequate-observational-evidence

-that-the-design-of-life-from-ool-on-is-achievable-by-small-chance-driven-success-reinforc

ed-incre/comment-page-1/#comment-403112]pokes kairosfocus with a sharp stick[/URL]:

And I know somebody that even when they were presented with such video evidence they simply refused to believe what they were seeing and constructed an elaborate explanation as to why the video was not showing what it was plainly showing. The person viewing the video never latched on to it’s true meaning.

DrBot is less subtle

You do not have a right to redefine words as you please.
Neither do you yet you are happy to do it when it suits you.

Latching, psuedo-latching, semi-latching, quasi-latching …

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,14:21   

Quote (BillB @ Oct. 13 2011,15:15)
DrBot is less subtle  

You do not have a right to redefine words as you please.
Neither do you yet you are happy to do it when it suits you.

Latching, psuedo-latching, semi-latching, quasi-latching …

Speaking of DrBot, he, along with Petrushka, Elizabeth Liddle, markf, the new sock kellyhomes, and a few others have been rhetorically pounding the UD regulars into the ground on numerous threads over the past few days.  Is Clivebaby asleep at the ban hammer?  If it weren't Joseph, kairosfocus, and bornagain77 getting beaten up, I'd almost feel bad for them.

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,14:31   

When I read this, the first thing that popped into my mind was, “two more opposite things could not be said as one thing.”

Agnostic Christian? Christian atheist?

I don't know...I can go along with folks who think one can be a Christian without a belief in God or gods. I mean heck...such a perspective is in no more wacky (and imho far less wacky) than believing the bible is the literal Word of God or that everything in it literally occurred as written.

On a more serious note though, there are a few problems with the concept, not least of which is the fact that a "Christian" is someone who, at the very least, is a follower of the "Christ" or Messiah and who believes in the redemption of man through such following. Well, even if such a person stripped everything attributed to Paul out of the bible and doctrine, he or she would still be left with Jesus (via the other writers) noting that the redemption is about getting back to God. I'm not sure how one ignores that and still claims to be a Christian.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,14:38   

Lewontin!
(and not from KairosFlatus this time)

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,14:51   

Quote (Patrick @ Oct. 13 2011,13:54)
kellyhomes [URL=http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/id-foundations-8-switcheroo-the-error-of-asserting-without-adequate-observational-evidence

-that-the-design-of-life-from-ool-on-is-achievable-by-small-chance-driven-success-reinforc

ed-incre/comment-page-1/#comment-403112]pokes kairosfocus with a sharp stick[/URL]:

I've never had to remove two <br> from a link before, way to go Gordon!

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,15:06   

Quote (sparc @ Oct. 13 2011,12:20)
I don't have time to read Dembski's newest but according to the summary page he remains the same arrogant Dr. Dr.:      
instead of trying to get the wrong people to do the right thing, make it impossible for the wrong people to keep the right people from doing the right thing.

Dr Dr  
The first thing I will focus on is money. Money is a social technology, but its current technological sophistication is still in the dark ages, despite the fact that computers rather than abacuses now count it. I’m going to propose a radically decentralized, information-based form of money that owes nothing to the state. Stay tuned.

Is this the part where he demands $20K to tell us the answer and then runs away as fast as possible?

--------------
Joe: Most criticisims of ID stem from ignorance and jealousy.
Joe: As for the authors of the books in the Bible, well the OT was authored by Moses and the NT was authored by various people.
Byers: The eskimo would not need hairy hair growth as hair, I say, is for keeping people dry. Not warm.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,15:20   

Quote (Freddie @ Oct. 13 2011,13:06)
I don't have time to read Dembski's newest but according to the summary page he remains the same arrogant Dr. Dr.:      
instead of trying to get the wrong people to do the right thing, make it impossible for the wrong people to keep the right people from doing the right thing.

Dr Dr  
The first thing I will focus on is money. Money is a social technology, but its current technological sophistication is still in the dark ages, despite the fact that computers rather than abacuses now count it. I’m going to propose a radically decentralized, information-based form of money that owes nothing to the state. Stay tuned.

Is this the part where he demands $20K to tell us the answer and then runs away as fast as possible?

Wow, that Dembski.  Such an original thinker.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,15:23   

Quote (Freddie @ Oct. 13 2011,15:06)

Dr Dr    

I wager four quatloos!

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Acipenser

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,15:28   

Is anyone else having problems with loading pages from UD?

As threads get larger I get the 'Internet won't let you look at that' error message.  Initial threads, or those with few replies load fine.  If no one else is experiencing problems then it might be related to my blistering 26.4 kbps dialup connection.

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,15:39   

Quote (keiths @ Oct. 13 2011,14:38)
Lewontin!
(and not from KairosFlatus this time)

From a comment or two on that thread:

Acipenser said:
quotemining Lewontin certainly won’t help you make your case. Talk about irony!

A intellectually honest po it would be prudent to provide the entire quote to fix the point in the context the author intended.

Ba77 asks:
Acipencer, is the quote really unfair?

What else could the explanation be for omitting the next two sentences every time?  Accident, running out of electrons.  If you think it makes no difference, then it should not hurt your argument to include it as requested.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,16:40   

Quote (didymos @ Oct. 13 2011,15:20)
Quote (Freddie @ Oct. 13 2011,13:06)

Dr Dr    

Wow, that Dembski.  Such an original thinker.

Money is a social contract. Technologies (like abaci and computers) count it.

Hoo boy, settle in, everybody, while the malapropisms are also counted...

ETA - wrong vowel

Edited by Kristine on Oct. 13 2011,16:42

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,17:08   

Radical Decentralization Pt III

[VENT]
Dembski: "The minority is indignant because the unwashed masses (of which I’m a card-carrying member) are seen – through their greed, inattention, or waste – to be significantly contributing to the problem."

Ah, excuse me Dr. Dr., but you are not one of the great unwashed, you are the pampered son of a college professor.  You spent nearly twenty years of your life "studying" in some of the worlds most elite and expensive universities.  Since leaving the Ivory Tower, you've been cosseted by a series of right-wing benefactors.  The one time you tried to actually earn your living, you wound up teaching in a Bible camp.

You are a card carrying member of the elite, Billy Boy.  You are not quite a member of the one percent, but you were born into the top five or ten percent and remain there.  Your hands are not calloused, they're soft as a courtier's because that's essentially what you are.  You make your living saying what the monied boys want to hear.

And now, after a decade spent making a complete fool of yourself pretending to be a scientist, you, a conservative Christian, are starting a new column in the "Washington Times".  That's the newspaper founded by and paid for (to the tune of 1.7 billion dollars so far) by the Reverand Sun Myung Moon, a man who claims to actually BE Jesus Christ.  I'm sure you've rationalized that.

You're off to a grand start.  You've left the field you're at least somewhat, nominally, kinda, if you'd paid attention and actually understood what you were "studying", trained in and you're giving us the benefit of your piercing intellect on politics, sociology and economics.  

You've diagnosed our nation's problems as being caused by nameless minorities who bypass the will of the people and use the power of government to impose their desires on the nation without ever mentioning the massive campaign bribes that have corrupted both parties, the billions of dollars spent on lobbyists, the foundations and societies dedicated to greasing the skids for those in power or the wealthy minority who pay for it all.  Possibly because they don't want to hear anything about that and they also pay you.

And now you show some of the classical symptoms of a man about to hook a motor up to a generator and plug the generator into the motor:

"The first thing I will focus on is money. Money is a social technology, but its current technological sophistication is still in the dark ages, despite the fact that computers rather than abacuses now count it. I’m going to propose a radically decentralized, information-based form of money that owes nothing to the state. Stay tuned."

We will and we're expecting you to do your usual job of indignant self-immolation.
[/VENT]

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,17:45   

ID science at it's best:
so basically the medical establishment has been a giant flop. And think of all the trillions of tax dollars they’ve been given! Yet people think so highly of science and medicine!…why??…for wearing white coats and looking important? This whole health care debacle could be eliminated immediately if people started addressing their diseases with organic foods, (such as vegetable juice) as Hippocrates suggested long ago. diseases do not form because of a lack of drugs, bun instead because of a nutritional imbalance that chokes off healthy cell function.

If those damned scientists would just get off our backs, we'd live forever!

Tom Ames

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,18:23   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Oct. 13 2011,15:08)

"The first thing I will focus on is money. Money is a social technology, but its current technological sophistication is still in the dark ages, despite the fact that computers rather than abacuses now count it. I’m going to propose a radically decentralized, information-based form of money that owes nothing to the state. Stay tuned."

Is he talking about Bitcoin? It would be just like him to get in on that pyramid scheme.

--------------
-Tom Ames

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,18:33   

Upright BiPed takes a page from kairosfocus' book and waits a few weeks before lying about supporting his claims:
The mechanics of information transfer by semiosis has been explained to you.

I seem to remember Upright BiPed being completely incapable of producing operational definitions for several of his terms and running away from the discussion when this was repeatedly pointed out to him.

Doesn't their holy book say something about dishonesty?  As I remember, it was agin' it.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,18:59   

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,17:08    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[VENT]
Dembski: "The minority is indignant because the unwashed masses (of which I’m a card-carrying member) are seen – through their greed, inattention, or waste – to be significantly contributing to the problem."

Ah, excuse me Dr. Dr., but you are not one of the great unwashed, you are the pampered son of a college professor.  You spent nearly twenty years of your life "studying" in some of the worlds most elite and expensive universities.  Since leaving the Ivory Tower, you've been cosseted by a series of right-wing benefactors.  The one time you tried to actually earn your living, you wound up teaching in a Bible camp.

You are a card carrying member of the elite, Billy Boy.  You are not quite a member of the one percent, but you were born into the top five or ten percent and remain there.  Your hands are not calloused, they're soft as a courtier's because that's essentially what you are.  You make your living saying what the monied boys want to hear.

And now, after a decade spent making a complete fool of yourself pretending to be a scientist, you, a conservative Christian, are starting a new column in the "Washington Times".  That's the newspaper founded by and paid for (to the tune of 1.7 billion dollars so far) by the Reverand Sun Myung Moon, a man who claims to actually BE Jesus Christ.  I'm sure you've rationalized that.

You're off to a grand start.  You've left the field you're at least somewhat, nominally, kinda, if you'd paid attention and actually understood what you were "studying", trained in and you're giving us the benefit of your piercing intellect on politics, sociology and economics.  

You've diagnosed our nation's problems as being caused by nameless minorities who bypass the will of the people and use the power of government to impose their desires on the nation without ever mentioning the massive campaign bribes that have corrupted both parties, the billions of dollars spent on lobbyists, the foundations and societies dedicated to greasing the skids for those in power or the wealthy minority who pay for it all.  Possibly because they don't want to hear anything about that and they also pay you.

And now you show some of the classical symptoms of a man about to hook a motor up to a generator and plug the generator into the motor:

We will and we're expecting you to do your usual job of indignant self-immolation.

POTW!!!!!!!1111

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,19:16   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Oct. 13 2011,23:45)
ID science at it's best:  
so basically the medical establishment has been a giant flop. And think of all the trillions of tax dollars they’ve been given! Yet people think so highly of science and medicine!…why??…for wearing white coats and looking important? This whole health care debacle could be eliminated immediately if people started addressing their diseases with organic foods, (such as vegetable juice) as Hippocrates suggested long ago. diseases do not form because of a lack of drugs, bun instead because of a nutritional imbalance that chokes off healthy cell function.

I actually read that and wept. The problems with the pharma industry run deep, but these morons do not have the first clue as to why and what they are.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,19:25   

Quote (Louis @ Oct. 13 2011,19:16)
Quote (CeilingCat @ Oct. 13 2011,23:45)
ID science at it's best:    

I actually read that and wept. The problems with the pharma industry run deep, but these morons do not have the first clue as to why and what they are.

Louis

No indeed, they want to throw the bathwater, the bathtub, and their own right hands out with the baby.

That they come so close to redesigning reality (which they claim was designed by a benevolent deity) as to actually tread into an area of blasphemy that this atheist fears to treat (i.e., utter hatred of and struggle against That Which Is simply because it is) naturally escapes them. They don't have a quarrel with science per se, but reality itself.

I'm not going there!

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,20:10   

BarryA:

Elizabeth Liddle is correct. Science does not, indeed cannot, take account of miracles. The entire scientific project is premised upon previously observed regularities continuing to occur.

Precisely the point of something Lewontin once wrote. IIRC, he made similar remarks in a review of Sagan's last book.

Has that ever been mentioned at UD?

ETA: I can't be bothered to actually UD read threads before snarking at them.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,21:50   

Quote (Kristine @ Oct. 13 2011,14:40)
Money is a social contract. Technologies (like abaci and computers) count it.

Hoo boy, settle in, everybody, while the malapropisms are also counted...

ETA - wrong vowel

Well, there's that too, but what I was denigrating was him acting like the idea of a decentralised, digital currency were somehow novel, and in that smug self-congratulatory way.

Edit: omitted verb

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,21:58   

Quote (Tom Ames @ Oct. 13 2011,16:23)
Is he talking about Bitcoin? It would be just like him to get in on that pyramid scheme.

My take: He either thinks he's come up with something new, or he's perfectly aware of Bitcoin and is just going to pretend that he's come up with something new.

--------------

Woodbine

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 13 2011,21:58   

Quote (Tom Ames @ Oct. 14 2011,00:23)

Oh please be so!

paragwinn

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 14 2011,01:20   

Quote (Tom Ames @ Oct. 13 2011,16:23)

Didnt Spain try that already with their pieces-of-eight? :p

--------------
All women build up a resistance [to male condescension]. Apparently, ID did not predict that. -Kristine 4-19-11
F/Ns to F/Ns to F/Ns etc. The whole thing is F/N ridiculous -Seversky on KF footnote fetish 8-20-11
Sigh. Really Bill? - Barry Arrington

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 14 2011,04:04   

Since it seems we right now are on an excursion into political and sociological territory, I'll chip in with an observation made on radio here the other day:

The reason the Scandinavian countries were so successful coping with the economic crisis of the early 1990's was the way it was handled by the state.

But in the USA that would be equated with socialism, which is an ugly word over there.

I better keep silent on Dembski.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 14 2011,04:14   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Oct. 13 2011,17:08)

I had to take a peek. Scary.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 14 2011,06:43   

Unpleasant Blowhard:

The Big Bang Theory was adopted because the physical entailments involved in the theory were supported by the evidence. ID asks for no more, or no less. Therefore, there is no legitimate reason to deny that request.

ID claims that the information that organized matter into living things was the product of an agent. The existence of that information has very observable, physical entailments. Those physical entailments (which are truly profound in their dynamics) are an exact match to the same physical entailments which result from information being conveyed by semiotic means (by representations and rules).

UB doesn't quite grasp the notion of "entailment."

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 14 2011,07:25   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Oct. 14 2011,07:43)
Unpleasant Blowhard:

The Big Bang Theory was adopted because the physical entailments involved in the theory were supported by the evidence. ID asks for no more, or no less. Therefore, there is no legitimate reason to deny that request.

ID claims that the information that organized matter into living things was the product of an agent. The existence of that information has very observable, physical entailments. Those physical entailments (which are truly profound in their dynamics) are an exact match to the same physical entailments which result from information being conveyed by semiotic means (by representations and rules).

UB doesn't quite grasp the notion of "entailment."

UB doesn't grasp the notion of words having meaning.

rossum

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 14 2011,07:30   

Quote (paragwinn @ Oct. 14 2011,01:20)
Didnt Spain try that already with their pieces-of-eight? :p

That was Bytecoin.  Bitcoin is pieces-of-one.  :D

rossum

--------------
The ultimate truth is that there is no ultimate truth.

10669 replies since Aug. 31 2011,21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (356) < ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]